Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 388 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 29 Sep 2018
at 16:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak reported back what he'd seen and raised an eyebrow at his more well-armored allies. "How about climbin'? Better at climbin' than sneakin'? The backside o'the hill is steep but we might could climb it."

He scratched his chin a bit in thought then shrugged. "I don't mind sneakin' in, but if we get in t'trouble, there's no way you'll be able t'help us. If we all climb t'gether, there's a chance we get caught or have problems, but we'd be all together, yeah?"
Zora Jilkina
 player, 271 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 03:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora encouraged Morg and anyone else to circle around the tower as well, but taking a much larger circle, so their lack of stealth wouldn't get anyone killed. They regrouped at the far side of the tower, she agreed with Jak.

Together is better, agreed. Ready to move in?"
DM
 GM, 1154 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 30 Sep 2018
at 16:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group makes their way up the back side of the hill. Rough rocks and underbrush make the going arduous, though not difficult.

Approaching the summit, the half-ruined walls encircling the tower give way to rocky rubble, which continues in a circle around the hilltop. The tower comes into clearer focus through the haze as the party ascends. The tower itself looks none too sturdy. Wooden scaffolding brackets the tower on two sides.


I've placed you all most of the way up the backside of the hill (see map). Though you have a clear view of the tower and the top half of the bonfire beyond, from where you are you can't see anything at ground level around the base of the tower.

If you decide to move, it's easiest to refer to the map and post the coordinates of where you're moving to.


Morg Danforge
 player, 572 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 16:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg tiptoes past the deteriorating walls, keeping a lookout for guards and tall kidnapped elves.
18:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 2d20+1, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 6,17.  Stealth check with disadvantage (from chain mail), moving towards tower.

Move: to AE6, either thru the deteriorating walls, or over if that's not possible.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Mon 01 Oct 2018.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 272 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 20:46
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
OOC: Oh hell, well if Morg is rolling stealth, what the hell? I did the clicking wrong, but helpfully recorded all dice, so it's an 8 :-)

14:44, Today: Secret Roll: Zora Jilkina rolled 25 using 2d20 with rolls of 17,8.  strealth with disadvantage.


Zora moved with Morg, hoping at least if they got discovered they wouldn't finger their allies. She stealthed about as well as the dwarf did.
Findarion
 player, 27 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 20:58
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
While the heavily armored warriors were not too stealthy, for obvious reasons, Findarion was in his spirit. The elf moved with swiftness and grace, quietly approaching the scaffolding looking for the best way to climb it.

"My guess is..." he whispered, cautiously keeping an ear out for trouble, "...that my brother is in the tower. I don't see any other place where you could securely keep prisoners."


22:52, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Stealth

DM
 GM, 1156 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 00:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Upon approaching the ruined walls, Findarion, Morg, and Zora can see the ground falls away sharply on the far side. The shallow pit is ringed with cut stones, as if it were once the basement of another structure.

Within the pit, two large hounds roam around a singular figure dressed in a dirty, dark breastplate. The man seems to be playing games with the beasts, which are recognizable as hellhounds. Wrestling a large stick out of their mouths, he throws it a few feet away. Instead of fetching the stick, one of the beasts belches forth a blast of flame that scorches the wood and incinerates it in an instant. Guffawing, the man steps back to drag another branch from a small pile behind him.

The hellhounds glance up at the new arrivals at the ruined rock wall, though they don't otherwise react to Morg, Findarion, and Zora's appearance - yet.


Map updated. Be advised there's a steep 7' drop beyond the wall here into the pit with the guard & hellhounds.

Morg Danforge
 player, 573 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 12:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg ducks, hoping to evade the breastplated figure's sight should it follow the hounds' glances.

He points to what would be the western corner of the scaffolding, and shrugs in a questioning manner.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 273 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 16:54
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora ducked with Morg. No reason to draw attention to themselves before they were ready.

She frowned at Morg's gesture with a confused look on her face, not sure what he was suggesting.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 391 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 18:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak took a step and found that there was a rock in his shoe. "Ow!" He took his boot off and dumped it out, tapping it a few times to get the rock out of it. He glanced up and noticed his companions were already gone, moving up to the ruined walls. "Hey, wait up!"

He hurried to catch up to them, slipping a bit and almost falling over. "Whoops!" He caught himself and righted himself after a second. He looked around slowly and his lip curled up when he saw the hellhounds.

OOC: Moved up to the wall next to Findarion.
12:10, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 5 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 1.  Stealth.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:16, Tue 02 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 574 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 07:15
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg curves his arm, indicating going around the short wall he saw to the west connected to the tower. He then looks at Fin, uses his fingers in a spider-climbing-like way and points to his eyes, indicating possibly scrambling up and looking over the wall at the northwest corner.
DM
 GM, 1158 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 00:37
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Halfway to the pile of wood, the man turns at the noise at the broken wall. "Who goes there?" he rasps, swiftly grabbing a crossbow from his back and aiming it up at the wall above the pit.


Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:06, Thu 04 Oct 2018.

Findarion
 player, 28 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 15:17
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Thinking quickly, Findarion creates an illusory sound of a bear. "ROAR!"

He quickly followed it up with the sound of said bear moving away from the tower.

Minor Illusion, twice.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 392 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 17:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak started to think of what he could do to possibly resolve the situation. He opened his mouth but nearly crapped his pants when what sounded like a bear's roar went off right near him. He started and then froze solid as he heard it moving away. He held his breath as he watched the man with the dogs, mainly because he was still unfreezing slowly.
DM
 GM, 1159 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 00:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Immediately, the hounds bolt for the side of the pit, scrambling up it and over the rocky remains of the outer wall.

Careening around towards the source of the noise, they suddenly stop, seeing nothing in the area. Their smoking snouts turns slowly towards the group overlooking the pit.

The man takes a few steps closer to the edge of the pit, then calls up again. "What you all playin' at up there? The show ain't on this side, go 'round the other side if yer here for the Rite. Otherwise I'll sick me dogs on yeh."



Map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:32, Fri 05 Oct 2018.

Morg Danforge
 player, 576 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 08:38
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"Round the other side." Morg says and nods to the man, and then starts walking westwards.
Move: towards V6.
Zora Jilkina
 player, 275 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 21:59
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora moved close in with Morg, ready to get discovered at any moment.




Also moving towards V6
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 393 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 22:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak made a low noise, his voice also becoming deeper and gruffer. "Sure, alright." He then turned towards the others with a wide-eyed look that said 'Wow, we got lucky'. He followed after them when they started moving.
Findarion
 player, 29 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 6 Oct 2018
at 12:03
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Slightly bewildered, the elf follows the group in silence, dismissing his illusions.
DM
 GM, 1161 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 6 Oct 2018
at 16:45
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The group moves away towards an offshoot of the broken wall, this one still in fairly good condition. The hellhounds follow slowly, keeping a watchful eye on the group from a distance.

Around the corner of the tower the scaffolding is more easily visible. Standing about thirty feet high, many walkways crisscross the structure about every seven feet up the wall. A rough-looking man walks slowly away from the group towards the front of the hill, then rounds the corner lazily. He holds a smoking lantern in one hand.

Partway down the western side of the hill, a lone dwarf is visible. A few of the campfires can be seen on the southern side, though the figures around them are too distant to make out.


Map updated. Where to now?

Findarion
 player, 31 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Mon 8 Oct 2018
at 13:36
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion plays along with the guard with hellhounds, moving around the tower as advised. He shares a concerned look with the rest of the party.
Morg Danforge
 player, 577 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 08:32
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg spots the handsome fellow to the west and nods [Language unknown:  "Prelestra."]

He rounds the wall, keeping an eye out for the hellhounds.

Does Morg recognize Magdrak's uniform and shield symbol? Does Magdrak look like one of the fire camp cultists?

If Jak tries to climb the wall, Morg may try to distract the hounds.

Move: towards T5.

DM
 GM, 1165 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 22:02
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The dwarf down the hill stands looking up at the tower, in front of a makeshift campsite. Even from a distance he seems quite tall for one of his kind. Through the smoky air his fair skin, short red hair, and hazel eyes appear washed out, and his features indistinct.  Facing up the hill, a shield with symbols resembling clasped hands and a silver pitcher emblazoned on its surface is driven into the ground nearby.


Morg can make a history check with advantage to recognize the symbols and/or Magdrak's uniform.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 397 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 23:01
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak looked both ways before crossing, and then hopped up to the top of the wall. He walked closer to the scaffolding and hopped across to land nimbly on it. He looked around again to see if he had been noticed, before looking back at his allies to see if any of them were going to join him.

Wow.
17:00, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 20 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 17.  Acrobatics.

Findarion
 player, 33 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 23:23
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Reacting quickly to Jakrynn, Findarion attempts an illusory distraction in the form of the sound of stones rolling down upon the hellhounds. Quickly, he hops onto the scaffolding and tiptoes to a hiding spot.

Minor Illusion - sound of stones rolling down from above. Hope that's enough to distract the hounds for a second.

01:21, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 16 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 10.  Acrobatics.

Immediately going to try and hide after that.
01:18, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 14 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 6.  Stealth.