Day 8 - A New Day.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Findarion
 player, 52 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:08
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Still on the scaffolding with Jak, the elf quietly whispers. "Not sure about this woman, she talks of some Rite of the Wicker Giant. Seems to be with the cultists."

Findarion made sure to attract as little attention as possible for the time being.
Morg Danforge
 player, 590 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:25
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg eyes the fire cult sprite(s), and says to the paladin "The dogs instigated the fight, after it looked like their minder was going to let us go around. He also didn't call them off despite our warnings."

"The name's Morg Danforge, "

Magdrak
 player, 10 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 11:29
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak nodded.  "The name's Magdrak of Cl-"  He paused for a second before continuing.  "It's just Magdrak."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 411 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 17:06
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak grimaced as the guard fell. He frowned and angrily snapped at the dwarf, "Yah, 'cause we TOTALLY started the fire on purpose!" He rolled his eyes and quickly got off the burning scaffolding and back to the ground.

He eyed the elven woman, as well as those coming up behind her. He glanced at Morg and quietly said, "Heal!"

He raised an eyebrow, "So...now what?"

OOC: Screw you, dice roller! Lol
10:05, Today: Secret Roll: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 5 using 1d4+4 with rolls of 1.  Healing Word on Morg.

Zora Jilkina
 player, 290 posts
 Human
 Cleric
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 22:33
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Zora knew enough to not say anything. Let Jak or Asano do the talking. It was almost always the best idea.

OOC: I can toss out a prayer of healing to try to top everyone up, but need ten minutes uninterrupted. Don't think I have that here, do I?
DM
 GM, 1194 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 21:14
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elven woman looks on with a slightly bemused expression, then looks up at the scaffolding with some concern. "You'd best get down from there," she calls out to Findarion, "it looks like the base of that part of the scaffolding is starting to catch as well."

The three figures from further down the hill are joined by a fourth as they approach the western edge of the walled courtyard. Hurrying forward, they look with alarm at the burning scaffolding. "What is the meaning of this?" the leader calls out over the wall to Jak and Findarion. The figure's dark robes reflect none of the growing light from the flickering flames. Her hood frames a slightly dirty half-elven face, perhaps streaked with soot from a campfire. Her companions, rangers by the look of them, finger their crossbows.

Once again a voice calls down from the tower above. "What's going on down there?" The scaffolding ends at a jagged doorway-sized hole about thirty feet up the western tower wall, where a figure leans out to survey the scene.


Map updated!

@Zora correct, 10 minutes have not yet elapsed, we're still pretty much only a few seconds after the last guards fell.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:15, Sat 10 Nov 2018.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 412 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 23:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak hesitated only a moment and then went with it, tossing the elven woman a wink just before he started talking. "Well...we heard about a big fire rite was happenin', thought we'd come see what it was all about - but we weren't sure if we'd be allowed t'just show up or anythin'. So we were..." He gave a shrug and adopted a sheepish look on his face, looking down slightly and everything, "..sneakin' in t'look." But then he straightened and looked a mixture of angry and apologetic at the same time. "But then some hellhounds back there attacked us an' the guards joined in as well! So...we defended ourselves...an' this fire got started." He let out a sigh. "Sorry for causin' trouble."

16:10, Today: Jakrynn Redgate rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  Deception or Persuasion (and I can roll the other if you want, same bonus).
Findarion
 player, 54 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 23:50
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion descends from the scaffolding quickly after Jakryn, knowing well trouble was brewing.

Expecting the situation to go downhill quickly, his eyes dart towards the tents next to him, ready to tumble there and take cover at the slightest sign of trouble.

Though he was plainly visible by the newcomers, he nonetheless moved quietly to avoid being seen by the guard on top of the scaffolding.

Moving down the ladder to X14, looking to dash to Y16 should combat start.

If I can take a moment to investigate the area, can I try to deduce where the hostages (and my brother) are located?

Asano Breathkill
 player, 446 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 08:35
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"As he said," Asano says, nodding to Jak, "we came to observe the Rite, but were unsure of the welcome we may receive. There has been unrest, recently, especially since the destruction of Triboar. Such exposure cannot bode well." Asano watches the woman's features carefully for any recognition or opinion.





00:33, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 6 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 3.  Insight.
00:32, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 8 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 2.  Persuasion w/ wild magic adv.
00:32, Today: Secret Roll: Asano Breathkill rolled 10 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 4.  Persuasion.


Action: Speaking to Ga
Move Action:
Bonus Action:


HP: 20/29 AC 12
Buffs/Debuffs:
Conditions:
Spells/Sorcery Points: 1st- 4/4 2nd- 2/3, 2/4


DM
 GM, 1196 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 12 Nov 2018
at 22:52
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The fire spreads quickly just as Findarion moves away from the ladder. Flames rise up the wooden supports of the remaining section of scaffolding, hissing and popping as the wood chars.

The elven woman nods to Jak and Asano, and introduces herself as Gariena. Her two sprites, named Flix and Afid, bow in turn as she introduces them.

Before she can continue the conversation however, she is cut off by another shout from the tower above. "Hel-LO down there? What in blazes is going on? Why is the flaming scaffolding on fire? Someone answer me!" He pauses, squinting down through the smoke at the four newcomers from further down the hill. "Is that you Lytin? What's happening?"

The half elven woman, named Lytin if the guard in fact recognized her, ignores the shout and looks angrily at Jak. "If you had half a wit in your brains you would have just come up the front side of the hill," she snaps. "The Rite of the Wicker Giant will restore nature's balance in the Hills, but burning down the tower around Elizar won't help him restore anything!" Flix covers his eyes at her harsh tones, and Afid shakes a tiny finger at her from the nearby stone wall.

Lytin turns to her companions. "Biart, Orm, Malin, please escort this group to our campsite - I think we should have a discussion with them before they be presented to the Circle." The three rangers step forward reluctantly, but motion expectantly for the group to accompany them.

Gariena clears her throat. "Should we not check around the area for any who might be hurt first?" She looks questioningly at Lytin, then Jak and Asano.

Rounding the corner, another wave of heat blows into Findarion's face. On the south side of the central tower is a courtyard cluttered with tents. A humanoid-shaped wicker giant, two stories tall, burns brightly. Near it, two figures in robes stand with their heads bowed in prayer.

Rubble chokes a wide but impassible doorway on this side of the tower, likely once the main entrance.


Map updated! Lots of folks on this map ;) - let me know if you have any questions about what any of the letters mean.

To Asano, Gariena doesn't betray any surprise at hearing of the burning of Triarbor, but neither does she show any sign of recognition of the name. She seems like a druid of the forest.

Findarion, you should probably make a stealth roll =)


Morg Danforge
 player, 592 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 10:31
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg wipes and sheathes his sword, and starts walking westwards - roughly from where he heard Jak's voice.
Can he see any fire cultists other than Flix  and G4?
Magdrak
 player, 11 posts
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 16:28
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Magdrak shook his head and muttered, "This will not end well."  He then turned and followed Morg.
Findarion
 player, 55 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 17:11
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
As the attention is turned elsewhere, the elf moves behind the tent.

10:58, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Stealth.

I want to get in the tent, possibly by cutting my way in with a dagger?

Asano Breathkill
 player, 447 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 18:26
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
"A moment before we enjoy your hospitality, lady," Asano says, with a half bow. He turns to the burning scaffolding and directs a number of frozen rays to control and eventually snuff the burning fire.
DM
 GM, 1198 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 23:09
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg and Magdrak round the corner of the northwestern wall. From their vantage point the two dwarves can see two campsites partway down this side of the hill, both with tents centered around small cookfires. Further to the southern side the several other campsites are visible. Through the haze it's difficult to see whether any people are in the camps, but the two nearest appear deserted. The nearest one on the southern side of the hill might have two figures huddled over the campfire, but even after squinting Morg can't be sure.

Gariena nods in approval at Asano's efforts to put out the flames, though Lytin watches with a scowl. She finally answers the repeated calls from the tower. "I'll handle it Sikheir - if you need to get down, just climb the wall. The fire will be out shortly." Lytin's companions finger their crossbows anxiously.

Findarion slips inside one of the small tents, finding the usual assortment of camping gear, clothing, and food strewn about. A small belt pouch sits in the pile.


Map updated!

To answer Morg's question, everyone can see all the figures on the map with the exception of P1 & P2, which only Findarion could see from his position before entering the tent.

It'll take several minutes for Asano to put out the flames, but he can stem the fire enough to prevent it from spreading to the front of the tower.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:38, Thu 15 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 57 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 20:27
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion spares a moment to check the contents of the pouch, as well as to find any signs that captives were held in this tent. Afterwards, he makes his way to the next one.

Moving to AA15 tent
21:25, Today: Secret Roll: Findarion rolled 8 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 3.  Investigation.

DM
 GM, 1200 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 02:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Findarion finds some coins in the pouch but nothing else of value. Moving to the next tent he finds a similar array of bedrolls and clothing strewn on the floor, and another belt pouch. An unlit lantern hangs from the ceiling rod.

A glint of metal under a blanket catches his eye, and he finds a dagger with the crest of House Aur'aver crafted into the hilt.


Findarion finds a total of 28 gp between the two pouches.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:18, Fri 16 Nov 2018.

Findarion
 player, 58 posts
 High Elf
 Arcane Trickster
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 20:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
The elf's grip on the dagger tightens, his knucklebones going white. He inhales sharply, pocketing the dagger and the money.

Looking around the tent, Findarion attempts to figure out where did they take his brother.

Looking for tracks from the tent, or maybe drag marks if he was taken against his will. Anything that will give me directions.

Otherwise I would like to attempt to sneak into the tower as I feel like that's my best bet.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 415 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Fri 16 Nov 2018
at 20:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a nod to the lady, "Lady Gariena, a pleasure to meet you! Friendly people call me Jak." And then he bemusedly nodded a greeting to the two sprites. He smiled and then deliberately did NOT look back to see who, if any, among his allies had stepped out with him. He tried hard to restrain a sigh of relief as he heard Asano speak up. At least I won't be alone... he thought.

The man above called down and Jak smirked, muttering quietly, "blazes is right!" Then the rest arrived and he gave a flourishing bow to Lytin, "Milady, if I had half a wit in my brains, I wouldn't be a bard! Jakrynn Redgate, at your service!" There was only the slightest of hiccups in the telling of his name. He gestured towards the tower, "My humblest apologies! It was certainly not our intent to cause this issue, as I said."

Asano tried to put out the fire. Jak didn't have a way to really help with that so he just ignored it for the time being but waited for him to finish, seemingly content to follow their 'escorts' when all was ready.
DM
 GM, 1201 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 02:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Asano goes about the task of putting out the fire as Lytin and her companions look on impatiently. Gariena's sprites join in the process, occasionally scavenging burning timbers and tossing them into the path of Asano's cold magic. Finally the blaze is contained, then put out entirely.

Gariena claps her hands delightedly at Jak. "Oh good, a bard! You must entertain us this evening during the festivities! I do hope Lytin and her companions will share you with us?" She looks inquiringly at the other druid.

Lytin returns her hopeful look with a glare. When the fire is out, she motions to Asano and the rest imperiously. "Come with us."

Findarion looks around the interior of the tent, then peeks out carefully at the nearby ground. He finds no evidence of his brother or anyone else being dragged from the tent.

Looking to the tower, the only entrances seem to be the south-facing main entrance and the rough doorway partway up the western side of the tower. From his vantage point near the tents, the main entrance looks to be choked with rubble and completely impassible. The doorway sits roughly 30 feet up the western side of the tower, directly above where the now-ruined scaffolding used to sit. Sooty and smoky open air now lie between the ground and the doorway.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 416 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Thu 22 Nov 2018
at 05:34
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak gave a flourishing bow to Gariena. "I would be absolutely delighted to enterntain you, milady, whether it be during the festivities or perhaps a private showing after or another time." He tossed her a wink as he righted himself.

He gave a nod to Lytin, "Of course." And he followed in step behind her. He offered his arm to Gariena to see if she would accompany them, and had any desire for his mock-gallantry.
Morg Danforge
 player, 594 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 4 BM 0sw 1as 0sd8
Thu 22 Nov 2018
at 09:16
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Morg follows Lytin's directions, and tries to figure out from Gariena's face and voice if she's sincere, considering the dead guards and dogs.
11:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 20.  Insight check on Gariena to see if she seems sincere.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:16, Fri 23 Nov 2018.

DM
 GM, 1203 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 23 Nov 2018
at 22:21
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Gariena follows along behind the group, albeit more slowly. Her sprites cavort around her as the group descends the hill toward Lytin's camp.


Lytin begins leading the group down the hill, toward campfire #4 on the map.


DM
 GM, 1205 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 02:07
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Lytin leads the balance of the group down the hillside and approaches one of the campfires.

Findarion, still within a tent at the top of the hill, studies the nearby tower.

Map updated!

Now back in town from vacation, it's easier for me to post - sorry for the delay! Post if anyone would like to do anything prior to arriving at Lytin's campsite.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 418 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Wed 28 Nov 2018
at 21:13
Re: Day 8 - A New Day
Jak kept following along, glancing first at his companions and then at Lytin. "So." He flashed a smile, knowing she wasn't biting at his charm. "Where are you takin' us?" He made a show of looking slowly around. "We get t'meet the person in charge?"