Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 1468 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 02:17
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The day dawns cold on the hillside, a grey sky blanketing a chilly and misty morning. The thick smoke that covered the hill on days past has completely disappeared, leaving only black and white ash clinging to scrubby bushes and stunted trees growing from the rocky soil. The cold air carries a smell of impending winter.

As Greaek looks on from the opening of the tower, the group camping below begins to stir. Faces already somewhat somber after the departure of Jak with Sharpwind the day before, the mood only grows more grey as they bid farewell to Wiglaf and Asano, who set out to the south towards Goldenfields, in search of a cure for Wiglaf's case of lycanthropy. Findarion and his brother also depart after making their farewells, headed back to the relative safety of their family estates.
Rowan Laren
 player, 5 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 11:45
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Before the remaining party members can depart, a man comes running, clearly somewhat panicked, being chased by a group of what look to be mercenaries. Seeing the party, he diverts toward you. "Hey, over here! Any chance I can get some help with these villains?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 722 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 12:49
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While telling Magdrak about the adventures he and Jak had in Baldur's Gate, and how Fin wasn't bad for an elf, he looks up at the shouting human running towards them.
Do the mercenaries look like they have the same clasped hands and a silver pitcher symbols as Magdrak?

14:48, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 20 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 16.  Perception check, looking at mercenaries.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:04, Fri 06 Dec 2019.

Durik
 player, 5 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 11/11
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 13:06
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Having just finished his morning prayers and preparing of his equipment, Durik is just finishing putting his armor on when Rowan races up.  Calmly grabbing his shield and hammer he straightens himself and then says; "Why are they chasing you?  What is it that they claim you have done?"
Rowan Laren
 player, 6 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 14:20
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals

This message was deleted by the player at 14:22, Thu 05 Dec 2019.

Rowan Laren
 player, 7 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 14:22
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"They think I hold weapons that were heirlooms of my former count's family. He hired these men to capture me, and they've pursued me across multiple kingdoms! I tell you, my skill in magic aside, before all this I was only a simple farmer. It's not my fault that my village chose to revolt against the count's cruel taxes."
The man says this as he skids to a stop in front of you, gasping for air, and backing away from the mercenaries who eye the party warily.
Magdrak
 player, 96 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 16:37
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak listens with interest in Morg's tales of their previous adventures.  He opens his mouth a few times to comment, then closes it each time without speaking.  When the lone person approaches their campsite followed by a group of mercenaries, Magdrak stands up with his battleaxe in hand, though he eyes each with equal suspicion.  "Well now, that is an interesting tale.  Not one to generally interfere in others makin' their fees, but if what you say is true then it is not right and probably will not end well for you if taken."



OOC:

The hands and pitcher symbols are actually those of Magdrak's deity, Valkauna. His Bloodaxes uniform (which he hasn't worn yet) is a simple dark grey with a bit of dark red trim, and he doesn't wear his Bloodaxes sigil openly.  Not sure if Morg would know Vakauna's symbol or not, but just wanted to throw it out there.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Current HP: 51/51
Current AC: 19 (+ Heavy Armor Master Feat)
Lay on Hands: 25/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spell Slots:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 2/2


Gorm Hareth
 player, 6 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 17:55
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Observing from the trees, a considerable distance away from either pack of humanoids, sits a large but quiet brown bear.  Rather than hasteling anyone, or running away, like most animals would be inclined to do it simply sits there watching the exchange as it goes back and forth almost like it can understand the words being spoken.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:07, Wed 18 Dec 2019.

Rowan Laren
 player, 8 posts
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 16:19
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Then will you aid me in driving them off? I'm afraid I lost my spell component pouch several cities back, and without it I can no longer slip into invisibility to escape them like I once did." The man pleads.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:20, Sat 07 Dec 2019.

DM
 GM, 1472 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 04:29
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group chasing Rowan slides to a halt as they see the small encampment. Whispering among themselves, they play close attention to the activity in the small camp.

Abruptly the door halfway up the decaying tower opens, and Greaek's form appears. Behind him, three other figures wave, all of their forms blazing from the chin like he does, their beards afire. Greaek and the other step away, though they leave the door open.
Morg Danforge
 player, 723 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 20:59
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Drive them off? Why not just submit to one of their clerics' truth zones if you don't know the location their weapons? Do you not trust their clerics?" Morg says to the human.

And then more softly "Do you actually know where the cache is?"
Rowan Laren
 player, 9 posts
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 00:14
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to Morg Danforge (msg # 11):

(Whispering only loud enough for the party to hear him) "I really don't. I think some of my fellow rebels fled the battle when things turned for the worse. Most of the weapons were both old and strong enough to be considered artifacts in their own right, so I imagine the cowards sold them for a hefty sum. The reason I'm being chased in particular is that the count blames me for the original theft."
Morg Danforge
 player, 724 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 10:02
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Are you prepared to submit to their truth zone? You could then end this without anyone losing their heads." Morg says.

Morg looks to Magdrak, "Can't you also do that, uh... ceremony, ritual? Tho that probably won't help since these hirelings probably don't know you."
Makari
 player, 1 post
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 03:58
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
A half-elf slowly made his way towards the tower, and thus the small party gathered, though from a different direction than Rowan had show up. He walked with confidence though a tiny bit of hesitance could be seen as well. After all, he was only one and who knew how many he would be facing.

He had a quarterstaff in one hand, with expertly-carved runic work in it. He gripped more like a weapon than a walking stick, and strode with purpose towards the tower. He stopped when he came within talking distance of the small group. He cleared his throat.

"Are you with the brigands and raiders from this place?" It sounded like the answer might start a fight or a more harsh discussion at least.
Rowan Laren
 player, 11 posts
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 21:27
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to Makari (msg # 14):

"sir, are you talking to me, the mercenaries over there, or this party of adventurers?" Rowan asks in confusion, taking the initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:28, Tue 10 Dec 2019.

Jo Tyrihans
 player, 5 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 48/48; PP: 15
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 22:41
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In the forest, the slight music from a flute could be heard among the trees. It was a soft, delicate tune, accompanied by the chirp of some nearby birds in the early morning.

"Mind if I sit with you, friend?" Jo settled down in the grass next to the bear, who seemed calm enough. He watched the camp and the mercenaries - which seemed engaged in some matter - resting his flute in his lap and removing his hat.

"Which side are we rooting for?" Of course, he was not expecting a response from the bear. "It seems like those fellows are chasing those fellows." He pointed to the mercenaries, then to the encampment. "Or maybe just him. Perhaps he slept with one of the band's wives" Jo continued, pointing to the panicked man as he spun his own narrative. "And now they're all collectively angry, chasing him to the ends of the earth. A noble cause, admittedly - you have to admire their companionship." As he saw the half-elf approach, he raised an eyebrow. "Now this complicates things."

Casting Animal Friendship on the 'bear' :). Of course it fails automatically, since I assume her int is higher than 4, but Jo doesn't realize.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:42, Tue 10 Dec 2019.

DM
 GM, 1475 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 02:13
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Wind blows over the hilltop, rustling some of the scant brush near the decaying tower. Some of the burned scaffolding, leaning precariously against the tower wall, suddenly falls over with a small clatter.

The group of mercenaries continues staring in Rowan's direction, various members pointing as new arrivals seem to appear as if from thin air.

Finally, one of the brigands steps forward and cups a hand to her mouth. "Selling the sword to this band of misfits, are we Rowan? You'll not make it far with or without the sword. Best hand it over, or tell us where it is if you're not hauling it around on ye!"
Gorm Hareth
 player, 7 posts
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 02:18
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Behaving very much like a charmed animal the bear turns her head to look at Jo, not as food, or as a threat, but just as something one might want to be more familiar with.  The odd thing is that she looks at him that way before he even begins to cast his spell, as he approaches.
Jo Tyrihans
 player, 6 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 48/48; PP: 15
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 02:43
Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Jo startled as the bear talked. Somehow, he had missed the barrel tied around its neck. So a magical bear, or not a bear at all.

"Ah." Jo exclaimed after hearing the mention of the sword. He was curious as to how this would unfold. "Yes, I like that better. How does the half-elf fit into this?"
Makari
 player, 4 posts
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 04:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The half-elf turned a curious face to the person who responded to him with a question. One eyebrow rose upward. "Well. The...mercenaries, as you call them....are too far away to hear me unless I shout." His head tilted to one side in what could be taken as acknowledgement. "And I did not know to differentiate you from the other people you are standing near and speaking with. My apologies for making an assumption."

His eyes swept over the lot of them, "My question is to all of you, however."

The "mercenaries" shouted towards the group...but especially towards the one who had asked him the question. "It seems you have some people interested in you already."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:55, Thu 12 Dec 2019.

Morg Danforge
 player, 725 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 06:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
To Rowan, Morg says "Will you let her", pointing to the brigand who spoke, "search you, or submit to a zone?
If they try anything else, well, things will have to be reevaluated; but if we all stay frosty, we could try to talk this out."


To Makari he says "I'm not with this place's fire cultists, or the group demanding the sword. Where's your allegiances, friend?"
Gorm Hareth
 player, 8 posts
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 07:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear shakes her head as if able to understand No and replying to his whispered question where they remain hidden in the trees.
Rowan Laren
 player, 13 posts
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 08:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan considers this proposal for a moment. "A compromise maybe? If the mercenaries agree, one of you searches me, to prove my innocence. I'm afraid I don't trust them not to simply capture me swords or no the moment I submit myself to them. I wish to believe you would rescue me if they went back on their word, but I'm afraid I simply don't know you well enough to bet my life on that, so it seems like the best compromise.
Morg Danforge
 player, 726 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 12:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks at the brigand leader, "How long is this sword? The human can then show he doesn't have anything that big on him or in his pack."

"If that's not enough for you, and you don't have a cleric you trust with you, then I suggest you go talk to Harburk in Red Larch - he's the constable."

Durik
 player, 9 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 43/43
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 13:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Observing the exchange Durik stands behind Morg in a position of support and then crosses his arms; "Its as my fellow dwarf said, you should submit to the search.  Under the eyes of the All-Father we will make sure that it is a fair search."
Makari
 player, 5 posts
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 00:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari was a little confused. This wasn't going at all how he had thought it would. There were several parties that seemed to have nothing to do with the raiders here at all. He frowned a bit as he heard the things said and the questions asked across multiple people.

To the dwarf who had addressed him directly. "I do not have an allegiance, really. I heard there were raiders here, stealing and burning and such. I thought I would see about stopping them. I am new to this area so I thought engendering some good will, maybe meeting some like-minded individuals at some point, might be a good idea." He gave a small bow, his thickly-accented words pouring forth from his smiling mouth. "I am Makari Dyerna."
Rowan Laren
 player, 14 posts
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 01:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan sighs. "I suppose a cleric swearing upon his god is sufficient. Very well, I will submit to a search if the mercenaries will swear not to take me should they find none of the stolen weapons. I hold you to your word to rescue me though, should they break such a promise.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:06, Thu 12 Dec 2019.

DM
 GM, 1477 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 13 Dec 2019
at 02:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenaries look at each other uneasily, wondering about a lack of response. Finally, they decide to approach, though they eye the entire group warily. About twenty feet away they stop, and the apparent leader speaks up again.

"Well, where is it Laren? Hand it over."
Rowan Laren
 player, 15 posts
Mon 16 Dec 2019
at 15:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I don't have your swords! How many more times do I need to tell you?" Rowan throws his hands up in exasperation. If you wish, I will submit to an inspection, on the condition that you let me go if you don't find them. These adventurers have agreed to enforce the terms if you agree.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:09, Mon 16 Dec 2019.

Durik
 player, 10 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Mon 16 Dec 2019
at 15:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Stepping forward and then to the side in a position of authority; "Conduct your inspection-but it will be fair under the eyes of the All-Father.  If he has your swords then he will go with you.  If he does not have your swords on him...then you will go in peace."
DM
 GM, 1479 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 02:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The woman nods, and a few mercenaries step forward and search Rowan, pawing through his backpack, but it quickly becomes clear that the sword is not to be found. The men look questioningly back to the mercenary leader.

She gives Rowan a hard look. "Alright, what have you done with it?"


Feel free to make persuasion/intimidation/etc. rolls as you see fit or as it appropriate. Folks can take the Help action as well, cast spells, etc...

Rowan Laren
 player, 16 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 02:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to DM (msg # 31):

"As I've said from the beginning, I don't have the sword. I don't have any of the weapons from the armory. I'm a sorcerer, what would I do with a sword?"

Rowan Laren rolled 6 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 1. (For persuasion)
Makari
 player, 6 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 03:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari watched without much interest as the search happened. One eyebrow rose up and he decided to play devil's advocate for just a moment of amusement. He asked Rowan, "You said you do not have the swords, and have been seemingly very careful with your word choices. Did you help in them being 'liberated' and/or know who did take them?"

He didn't even keep looking at Rowan to see the reaction or hear the answer. He went back to looking at the tower and the fiery dwarves that had been looking out.
Jo Tyrihans
 player, 7 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 03:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"What a brilliant turn of events. I mean, it was pretty clear he didn't have a sword by the fact that he didn't have a sword. Where was he going to hide it? His trousers and walk with one stiff leg?" He thought for a second. "I suppose it could have been a really short sword." Jo pinched his thumb and index finger and squinted. He sighed. "This isn't going to go over well, is it?"
Rowan Laren
 player, 17 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 05:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to Makari (msg # 33):

Rowan coughs awkwardly. "I may have used an invisibility spell or two to help in their liberation. You must understand though, my family was starving. We had a verdant, bountiful farm, but the taxes were so heavy that it was impossible for us to survive. We had no choice. Given a choice between a slow death by starvation, and a quick death to a blade, I knew which one I preferred.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:49, Tue 17 Dec 2019.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 9 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 05:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Sitting back on her haunches at the edge of the forest the bear seems to be settling in for a longer stay than simply pausing in search of food to glance into the clearing.
Jo Tyrihans
 player, 8 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 06:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Your jurisdiction?" Jo raised an eyebrow, curious. "So you're not just a random bear able to communicate through magical means? And here I thought I had you all figured out."
Morg Danforge
 player, 727 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 11:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Who did you give them to after stealing them?" Morg asks Rowan.
Durik
 player, 11 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 12:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Listening to the conversations; Durik strokes his greying beard deep in thought.  "Answer the questions with straight answers.  Did you take the swords?  If so what did you do with them after you took them?  I remind you that the All-father is watching and knows all."
DM
 GM, 1480 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 00:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The leader of the mercenaries tsks. "Did you sell the sword to those river brigands? Or did they steal it from you?"
Rowan Laren
 player, 19 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 01:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I distributed them to the other villagers. I didn't keep any for myself. I have magic, what use would I have for a sword when there were others wielding rusty pitchforks?" Rowan uses the minor illusion cantrip to conjure an illusory flame in the palm of his hand, seeking to illustrate his point about magic. After letting it burn for a second, Rowan closes his palm, simultaneously dispelling the illusion.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:06, Wed 18 Dec 2019.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 10 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 07:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear snorts a bit, at first quite a normal sound, but as it repeats for several seconds it begins to seem like laughter.
Morg Danforge
 player, 728 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 10:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
To the mercenary leader Morg says "The sword is not here, and you and the count employing you dinnae have any authority in Tyar-Besil", emphasizing and rolling his Rs. He puts the blade of his greatsword on his shoulder.
12:02, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 6.  Try to intimidate mercenary leader.
DM
 GM, 1481 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 02:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary looks down her nose at Morg, then returns her gaze to Rowan. "I don't believe you any farther than I can throw a boulder, but it's clear at least you don't have the sword. And maybe you don't know where it is. Maybe."

She pauses, looking at the other mercenaries. "In any case, I think it's likely the sword ended up in the hands of a group of river brigands. They operate to the east of here, along the River Dessarin. We, of course, have been charged with returning the sword to its rightful owner - the count of Rowan's village." She shoots Rowan a disgusted look, then continues on.

"Whether or not Rowan cares about the people in his village, it just so happens I have family there. And the count is making life there a living hell for the villagers until all his stolen weapons are returned." She pauses, waiting for any reaction from Rowan or the others. "I'm fixing to return the last weapon to the count, and set things right. Any chance I can get any help with that?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:43, Thu 19 Dec 2019.

Rowan Laren
 player, 20 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 03:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to DM (msg # 44):

Rowan nods. "I would be more than happy to help if it means reducing the counts ire. I'm rather tired of being chased across the continent. Simply direct me to where you think the sword is located, and I will take care of it." Rowan turns to the party of nearby adventurers. "What do you think friends, will you accompany me? There is bound to be ample wealth at any bandit camp able to purchase or steal such a weapon. I fully understand if you need time to prepare, and offer my services as a sorcerer in the meantime. I do not mind paying for your aid with my labor."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:21, Thu 19 Dec 2019.

Magdrak
 player, 97 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 04:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the situation is resolved, Magdrak crosses his arms with a self-satisfied smile.  "Glad that we could come to an accord.  I am generally not one to work for free, however.  Will we be sharing in the reward for the recovery of the merchandise?  I would assume that a noble pays well."
Morg Danforge
 player, 729 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 11:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Is this the pirate Shoalah?" Morg says. "From what I've heard they sound like someone who needs to be separated from their head."

Turning to Magdrak and Durik, he says [Language unknown:  "U osur haicsi u lesherand wi ie cencrosi eiic Unfillloel, trabe to ac ntiproers om heramehat ersonstio ectpa peoul mo thate hoekfope adekca?"]
The pirate's name is actually "Shoalar", but Morg hasn't heard a dwarf pronounce the name yet. Family name "Quanderil".

[Language unknown:  "Andthimenoertra ro il eenlinset thidayfortha wityinithithnde."]

DM
 GM, 1483 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 22:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary captain frowns.

"I haven't heard that name, though we're only recently in this area. Rowan here puts up quite a little chase - we've traveled pretty far. The name we've heard is Jolliver Grimjaw, and we've heard he leads a group of pirates and sellswords based in a place called Rivergard Keep. I suppose they could be working together though."
Makari
 player, 7 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 23:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari was a little confused by the direction the conversation was going. It was about a sword, but it was also about a people. There were apparently two separate groups of water bandits that may or may not have the sword.

He gave a small shrug. "If I am not needed here to help stop these raiders, then I suppose I could help with clearing out some bandits."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 11 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 00:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The soft snickering laugh of the bear quiets and her focus returns fully to the conversation when the discussion turns in the direction of the bandits.
Jo Tyrihans
 player, 9 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 10:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
“It just so happens I’m in search of a bandit myself. Though I do suspect he’s trudged off in another direction and I’m following a fruitless trail.” Jo brushed some dirt off his hat and donned it. “But I suppose it’s worth a shot. And you? I’m sure someone like you would be useful.”
Morg Danforge
 player, 731 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 07:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"My name is Morg. My goal is to reclaim Tyar-Besil, underground" he says to the mercenary leader, pointing down, "for the All-Father's people; but pirates and brigands are bad for trade - which we need to rebuild. Do you wish to join forces in finding these pirates? This sword for your employer, pirate treasure for those looking for riches, and a safe land for the surface folk?"
DM
 GM, 1486 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 18:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary leader frowns. "We are not well-suited for exploring underground ruins. Nor are we suited for storming a keep full of bandits. Though we will aid you however we can in finding and recovering the sword."

She turns to Rowan, looking at him skeptically. "If you're willing to recover the sword, we will stay with you, nearby, and return it to the town when you have it. But we'll not let you walk away from this before it is returned to the town, with or without the sword."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 12 posts
Thu 26 Dec 2019
at 19:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Turning to look at the human next to her the bear shakes her head almost sadly, then returns her focus to the folks in the nearby clearing.
Rowan Laren
 player, 21 posts
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 00:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to DM (msg # 53):

Rowan shakes his head. "I wouldn't dream of walking away from this. I want this over with as soon as possible."
DM
 GM, 1487 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 04:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Very well," the captain says. "We will accompany you to Rivergard Keep if that's where you're headed, or where ever you think the sword is now."
Morg Danforge
 player, 732 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 09:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"We'll need to reconnoiter the pirates, keep, river, and boats." Morg says. "Are there any bridges we can destroy to make fords to prevent the ships from using the river? We can't lay siege to the keep, tho we should see if we can flood it. We'll probably have to infiltrate the keep and use partisan tactics."

"Mag, Durik, and I probably won't be much good at sneaking around tho."

Rowan Laren
 player, 23 posts
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 18:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"If I have the chance to acquire some spell components, I can help the parties stealth with invisibility and illusion spells."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:59, Mon 30 Dec 2019.

Jo Tyrihans
 player, 10 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 21:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Who would be frightened of you? Know that I find you adorable!" Jo grinned at the bear. "You're planning to follow them? I'll leave you to it. I'm not too good at remaining inconspicuous, we're lucky I haven't drawn their attention here yet." He stood to depart. "Terribly sorry to disturb you in your work, guardian."
DM
 GM, 1488 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 2 Jan 2020
at 23:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary captain shakes her head at Morg emphatically. "Only the Stone Bridge is close enough to make such a dramatic effect on the flow of water on the Dessarin River. And good luck to you in destroying a stone archway two miles long."


Anyone who would like to can make a History check on the Stone Bridge - dwarves can make it with advantage.

Magdrak
 player, 98 posts
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 06:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak frowns.  "Not sure I would hold with destroying such a work anyway.  Assuming that it is dwarven made, as all the best ones are, then it is an affront to Moradin to desecrate such a wonder."



OOC:

01:28, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 13 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 6,8.  History Check - Stonework (Advantage).

Makari
 player, 9 posts
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 06:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned as one of the dwarves spoke. He seemed hesitant and as if he didn't like what was being discussed. "I...." He cleared his throat. "I don't like the idea of destroying a bridge in the possibly incorrect hope that it will hinder the bandits. Especially when we can be assured it will certainly hinder people that aren't bandits."

He shook his head. "Why not hold off on such rash measures, even in discussion, until we see more of what we are up against? We should go take a look first, then make plans. Yes?"
Durik
 player, 13 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 12:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Agreed.  The All father would find displeasure in the unneeded destruction of stone work.  Especially if our kin made it.  I think we can reconnoiter the Keep first and then decide our next actions."

_____________________________________________________________________________________
OOC:  History check is a 20 with Advantage.
07:46, Today: Secret Roll: Durik rolled 31 using 2d20+3 with rolls of 20,8.  History w advantage.

This message was last updated by the player at 12:48, Fri 03 Jan 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 14 posts
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 12:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the human with it departs the bear looks at it for a moment and nods, very much as if thanking him for something.
DM
 GM, 1489 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 21:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary captain looks doubtfully at Durik. "If you could destroy it," she says.

Rowan Laren
 player, 24 posts
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 00:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan rubs his chin in thought. I doubt we have the firepower to destroy such a large structure. Certainly most of my spells are geared around stealth, and illusion.
Morg Danforge
 player, 734 posts
 mountain dwarf AC16 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 18:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg draws a rough map on the sooty ground of the river, Sumber hills, stone bridge, and fire-cult camp. "Okay, recon the keep first. Where is it approximately?" he says.
DM
 GM, 1490 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 21:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary captain approaches and examines the crude map on the hillside. After a few moments, she points to the bend of the river near the southern end of the Sumber Hills. "Rivergard Keep is there," she says simply.



Map updated. Morg would note that the location of Rivergard Keep more or less corresponds with the "South Door" from his map.

Jo Tyrihans
 player, 11 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 7 Jan 2020
at 03:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Jo bowed to the bear before making his leave. "Much appreciated. Safe travels, guardian." He tried his best to remain hidden as he left, emerging from the woods a ways away so not to draw suspicion towards the bear.

"Morning!"
Jo called out to the ensemble. "I couldn't help but eavesdrop on your conversation. Might I accompany you to this keep of yours?"
Durik
 player, 14 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Tue 7 Jan 2020
at 23:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Shaking his head in disagreement.  "The stone bridge was built by our kin and would not easy to destroy.  In fact it is a sacred site of pilgrimage for many dwarves. Long ago it is said the All-Father himself appeared atop the Stone Bridge to rally dwarves of the Ironstar clan against a horde of orcs.  Years later King Torhild Flametongue, the founder of Besilmer, died fighting a hill giant atop the Stone Bridge, and rumor has it he and his greataxe are entombed somewhere near Beliard."

Looking over Morgs map; "Lets get as close as we can and then let those that are stealthy do the close I recon."
DM
 GM, 1491 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 8 Jan 2020
at 20:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenaries tense at the arrival of yet another person to the assembled, but go back to patiently waiting for the group's next steps once Jo shows no apparent hostility.
Magdrak
 player, 99 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 05:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak smiles as Durik speaks about dwarven history to the others.  "I have not yet made my pilgrimage to the Stone Bridge, although now does not exactly seem the time to be doing so.  Perhaps when we are done with our current mission..."

While waiting, Magdrak moves up to the mercenary captain.  "I have not had the chance to ask before, but how is old Nalaskur doing?  It has been ages since I was at the Bargewright, swapping stories with him."
DM
 GM, 1495 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 23:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The captain raises her eyebrows, but recovers from her apparent surprise quickly. "Nalaskur is well, though I've heard the Inn is having supply problems of late. No wonder with so many bandits about."

She turns her head to spit to the side, then continues. "You a - mercenary?" she asks inquiringly. "I've heard there may be a caravan heading out from Womford to Triboar soon, with plenty of protection to ensure a safe journey. Might be worth your whiles to check out."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:10, Tue 14 Jan 2020.

DM
 GM, 1496 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 02:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the group heads to the south and east, the mercenary company follows close behind, keeping tabs on their charge.

As the day progresses a cover of clouds turns the air cool, and fog billows in the low-lying areas between hills. After nearly three hours of travel over the rough ground, the group approaches Rivergard Keep in the near distance.

Looking down from a nearby hill, the group can see Rivergard Keep sits in the curve of the mighty Dessarin River, which is a good half-mile wide at this point. Although it is a small castle it appears strongly built, though even from this distance its age is apparent. A gatehouse and keep stand atop a low bluff, but the walls are built to the water's edge. On the river bank, another low tower guards a boat basin where some keelboats are moored.

Despite the keep's old and worn appearance, new timbers and shingles indicate that repairs are underway. A white banner with a blue gauntlet flies over the keep.

The front gate is closed.


Map updated.

What now? =)

Gorm Hareth
 player, 15 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 03:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Over the first part of the trip the same bear, or one very much like it, can be seen occasionally following the party, never from nearby but often enough to suggest that they may be in its territory.  For the last hour it seemed to have given up, but has been visible again for the last few minutes before they reach the overview of the keep.
Durik
 player, 16 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 12:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Well their it is." Durik says pointing at the keep.  Resting his hammer on his shoulder; "Lets head down carefully and then see what is going on.  It definitely looks like someone is at home. Anyone recognize the banner?"
Makari
 player, 11 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 17:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari was a little wary, keeping an eye out as they traveled. He was in unfamiliar territory with unfamiliar people. He watched the rest of the group and the mercenaries just as much as he tried to watch their surrounding. It would eventually be exhausting to try and keep up for a long time. Hopefully he will trust someone by then. He kept a quarterstaff in hand, using it as a walking stick when needed, gripped tightly.

"Indeed." He glanced at Durik. "Should we attempt to be stealthy in our approach?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:29, Thu 16 Jan 2020.

Rowan Laren
 player, 25 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 01:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In reply to Makari (msg # 77):

Rowan looks up from where he has been carving something as he walked. "I usually prefer the stealthy approach myself."
DM
 GM, 1497 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 02:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The mercenary captain snorts at Rowan's remark, but otherwise waits patiently as the group studies the keep below.


If folks want to make perception checks on their observation of the Keep or its environs, or other checks as appropriate, feel free.

Durik
 player, 17 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 13:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Well lets have a look first and then decide what is next." Durik says as he squints his eyes and trys to san the keep.

08:27, Today: Secret Roll:  Durik rolled 6 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 2.  Perception.
Makari
 player, 12 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 16:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari certainly wasn't at the forefront of the group as they moved in. He kept his senses tuned, still, to their surroundings for anything out of the ordinary, like the bear that was following them. But for the moment, since the bear was staying back, he focused more on their destination ahead to see and hear what he could.
DM
 GM, 1498 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 17:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the group watches, a keelboat appears from downriver, approaching the south east tower of the castle. After a few moments, the keelboat proceeds through a gap in the castle wall, into an interior area of the castle beyond view.


What now? =)


Makari
 player, 13 posts
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 19:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari noticed guards atop the walls - one guard standing atop each of the four wall sections, pacing back and forth. He pointed this out to the others, just in case they didn't notice or weren't looking for that. "So there's those. Night time might be a better approach time if we are going to try for stealthy. If we are going to attempt to talk to them...well...now is fine then."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:19, Mon 20 Jan 2020.

Jo Tyrihans
 player, 13 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 21:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Jo kept a jovial demeanor throughout the travel, humming a cheerful tune if he wasn't chatting the with some of his traveling-companions. He recounted his visit to Mithril Hall to the dwarves, regardless if they wanted to listen or not. If asked for his motives, he merely said he was looking for someone, and the keep seemed the best bet. Occasionally he glanced backward to the mysterious talking bear, seeing if she still on their trail.

As they came across the keep and talk turned to planning, he chimed in with the information he had gotten from the bear. "I'm just a tag-along so feel free to dismiss me, but is it reasonable to expect them to hand over the sword if we just asked? Doubtful. If we're opting for infiltration I suggest investigating the waterways as an option." He pointed to the disappearing keelboat to illustrate his point. "Or stage an ambush, depending on how agreeable we wish to be. Regardless, waiting until nightfall is a good idea."
Durik
 player, 18 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Tue 21 Jan 2020
at 13:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Finishing up his scan of the keep Durik shakes his head; "My old eyes are beginning to fail me.  I can't make much out from here."  Then turning to the others as they discuss options. "Night is probably best, but I am going to need some help getting up and over a wall.  Probably best to come through a door or gate that one opens for me." he says slapping his large belly.
Rowan Laren
 player, 26 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I can contribute some illusion spells that might help someone sneak in if anyone wants to try later.
Makari
 player, 14 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 05:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari absorbed the gist of what was being discussed. He glanced at Rowan and then gave a nod. "I can cast invisibility on up to two people, or myself and one another, for up to an hour, though it takes concentration to maintain." He eyed what some were wearing, "However, the spell does not make you silent and some of the group are wearing armor and might not be as stealthy as others."

He gave a light shrug.
Magdrak
 player, 100 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 04:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak looks doubtfully at his armor before responding.  "This armor will not let me move around quietly.  And I am not too keen on sneaking in anyway.  But if we are going to do that, I definitely should be one of the last ones through, as I do not expect to keep my chain noiseless."

While the debate is going on, Magdrak leans in to quietly speak with the mercenary captain.
Durik
 player, 20 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 12:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Nodding in agreement with Magdrak; "Same with me.  I'm a bit old to be climbing over walls and this armor will just slow me down.  We can wait until the other are across the wall."  Scratching his greying beard; "Perhaps we could be a distraction?"
Makari
 player, 17 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 16:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned and hesitated. "Well...I mean...mounting an assault with only who we have here is foolhardy. Stealth would be an optimal course of action if we could." His eyes narrowed and he looked down as he thought about it.

"I know it's not...an idea that you will gladly take but...what if you...took off your armor until we are inside at least? We find a room where you can put your armor back on." He shrugged. "Then at least we aren't trying to get in while the alarm is raised and they can shoot at us from behind the walls?" He made a face that was part hopeful and part ready for backlash.
Rowan Laren
 player, 29 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan mills over the group's options for a moment. "I'm not certain having a distraction is the best course here. While it would draw attention, it would also put the guards on alert, which might do more harm than good. Especially since it's likely a number of sleeping foes would be woken in the process if we're going at night."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:56, Wed 29 Jan 2020.

DM
 GM, 1503 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 23:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the group watches Rivergard Keep from the windswept badlands of the nearby Sumber Hills, the sun slowly sets behind them. Shadows of sparse dry grass lengthen across the landscape, and hills with exposed rock faces above steep escarpments darken in the growing dimness. A tiny stream flows from a hidden spring nearby, quietly babbling its way down the slope toward the Dessarin River below.


You are here. What now?


DM
 GM, 1504 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 22:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the group studies the Keep, the mercenary discusses something in low tones with Magdrak.
Durik
 player, 21 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 23:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Aye an assault is Not what I'm talking about.  I'm thinking that the quitter folks get across first...then scout around.  The hopefully find an easier way for us to get in."
DM
 GM, 1505 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 02:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the sun descends and finally dips beneath the horizon, dots of light from small oil lamps appear in the arrow slits of the Keep.

Anyone wanting to sneak around, approach the Keep or the river, etc. can do so - just post what you're doing with an accompanying stealth or other appropriate ability check.

Makari
 player, 19 posts
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 03:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari waited until nightfall. That would be the best time. He glanced at three armored dwarves who hadn't apparently taken a liking to his de-armored sneaking plan. He shrugged. Casting Invisibility on two of them wouldn't help as it wouldn't mask their noise at all.

He started trying to make his way stealthily towards the door they had seen near the water.

20:12, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 15 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 12.  Stealth.
Rowan Laren
 player, 30 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 02:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Using the disguise self spell, Rowan changes his skin and clothing to a dark brown color, with small green streaks that match the color of the local grass. Giving himself one last once over to confirm, Rowan nods in satisfaction, and begins sneaking toward the encampment.

Rowan rolled a 15.


18:24, Today: Secret Roll: Rowan Laren rolled 21 using 2d20+2 with rolls of 13,6.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:30, Wed 05 Feb 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 16 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 02:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Not so much hidden, as taking a path not quite normal to two legged creatures the bear that had spent most of the day sunning herself on rocks a few dozen yards upstream from the dwarves and their discussion about armored stealth chooses this moment to head into the water,  not making nearly as much noise as one would expect for such a large animal it doesn't even splash into the river so much as slide in.
DM
 GM, 1507 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 03:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The approach to the river's edge is steep in places but not difficult, and none of the guards atop the southern wall of the Keep seems to vary in their patrols.

The waters of the Dessarin River flow smoothly here, babbling softly over rocks worn smooth by its passage. The Keep's eastern wall is built into the river, forming a long pier that encloses a boat basin. A heavy chain that emerges from the tower to the south stretches across the entrance.

The river appears to be shallow enough for wading perhaps 5-10 feet or so from the shore, but it deepens quickly from there.


Map updated.

I placed the group on the map, to the south of the keep, along the river. Feel free to move about in general or according to coordinates indicated on the map where I have everyone placed at the moment (e.g., Jo is currently at AI46), and of course to do stuff as per usual =).

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:07, Thu 06 Feb 2020.

Rowan Laren
 player, 31 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 21:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan continues moving toward the keep, examining the space where the river meets the walls in hopes of finding a submerged entrance such as a sewer grate.
DM
 GM, 1511 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan notices nothing, except that the outer wall near the river starts to curve. Looking up, it's clear in the fading light that there is a guard tower of some sort on the south-eastern edge of the keep.

Abruptly a loud splashing sound can be heard on the other side of the river, some distance to the north.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:03, Sun 09 Feb 2020.

Makari
 player, 22 posts
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 22:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari had just started to climb in to the water quietly and had said, "I think we should go in to the river and around this tower to sneak in past the area that is just chained, not gated."

Then he heard a splash in the water from the north and frowned. "Uhhh...maybe we check that out too? It's on the way."
Durik
 player, 23 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 14:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik follows behind at a distance.  Knowing that his armor might give the scouts away.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 18 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 17:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The swimming bear comes to a stop against the wall that extends out into the river, half floating next to it, half standing on it, watching both the party of humans and the source of the splash to the north, but mostly just waiting.
DM
 GM, 1512 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 22:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The splashing stops abruptly.
Magdrak
 player, 101 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 06:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak follows along to the rear of the group.  At the sound of the splashing, his head whips around to look for the source.  Unfortunately the noise stops before he can determine the location.  He consciously walks as delicately as he can to avoid his armor giving him away.
Jo Tyrihans
 player, 15 posts
 AC: 14; HP: 42/42; PP: 15
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 23:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Jo had just nodded along at the suggestions - they all seemed sound. While the dwarves might not be stealthy, Jo himself would not be a hindrance in this plan.

Now, the bear had been whispering information in his head, and he had tried to broach the matter carefully with the group - the last he wanted was to be suspected a mole. After all, where would he be getting all this information from?

Still, he tried to inform the group as elegantly as possible. "I've heard tale that the master of this here keep likes to take his evening hunt at right around this time. If we so wish we could stage an ambush. I'm not sure if he'll be alone or-" he trailed off at the sound of the splash.

Do I roll for stealth here?
Makari
 player, 23 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 00:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari had stopped suddenly when the splashing sounds stopped suddenly. Had something made it to shore, or in to the keep? Or was something now under the water's surface, in the water with them? He frowned but then began to head towards where he to where he might be able to see where the splashing had come from while still heading towards his destination of entering the keep from the water.
DM
 GM, 1513 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 03:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The splashing of water echoes on the low hills off the banks of the river.


Yes, anyone who's trying to remain quiet or hidden as they move beyond their position on the banks of the river to the south of the keep should make a stealth or otherwise applicable check.

Makari
 player, 24 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 03:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari attempted to swim or wade quietly as he slowly moved towards his goal. He kept an eye out but was having trouble being vigilant while navigating the dark waters quietly.
Rowan Laren
 player, 35 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 11:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan nods, glancing at the splash, but unable to make out anything in the darkness. "An ambush seems like a good idea, but I'd rather do it with the full group, not with half of us in the water."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:48, Wed 12 Feb 2020.

DM
 GM, 1514 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 22:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Time passes, and the darkness outside of the Keep deepens.

Abruptly, clearly visible as a dark shadow on a hill on the far bank of the river, a large shape of a boar is outlined against the backdrop of the half-moon in the sky, rummaging through the thick grass and digging at something.
Morg Danforge
 player, 739 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 07:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg takes off his chainmail and straps it onto his backpack under his shield. Walking in front of Magdrak, he tries to help him by pointing out the quietest places.

He takes note of the location of the bear and boar, and approaches the chained entrance with the rest of the party.
AC=11.

Action: Help Magdrak to be stealthy, if that's possible.

09:09, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 18 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 17.  Stealth check (not disadvantage because chainmail taken off).

If needed, can breathe underwater for 3 minutes, and will lift up his mouth above the surface for breaths if still in submerged after that.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:13, Fri 14 Feb 2020.

Durik
 player, 24 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 13:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durek continue to hang back.  Not as confidant as Morg to remove his armor.  He says a silent prayer to himself.
Makari
 player, 26 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 16:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari kept moving towards the water-sided opening in the fort's walls, swimming quietly...and keeping an eye on the boar? that had appeared. Very strange. He kept his eyes and ears open, especially to make sure no alarm had been raised by the guards.

OOC: Can we tell if the boar looked wet, like it was dripping water having just climbed out of the water or anything?

Do we need to continue making Stealth checks every post?

Gorm Hareth
 player, 19 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 18:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Boars, Bears, the animals are out in style tonight.  Still just hanging out on the wall watching the humanoids approach from up river the Bear doesn't seem to be paying much attention to the boar, having glanced that direction a while ago and discarded it as a non threat.
DM
 GM, 1515 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 21:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The silhouette of the boar lifts his head up to sniff the gusty wind, snorting at something.

Makari and Morg make their way as quietly as possible towards the chain across the entrance to the Keep's boat basin. The water near the gate flows slower than out in the river proper. From their position swimming through the water, the dwarf and the half elf can see into the Keep grounds. A twenty-foot tall bluff of rock and earth separates the landing and a nearby tower from the rest of the castle grounds. To the north, a wide stream flows out of a cave mouth into the boat basin. An iron gate blocks access to the stream.

They can see no movement atop the wall or from within the nearby guard tower.

The chain appears to be easily passed by swimmers; it seems likely it is only in place to block the passage of boats.

Map updated.


No need to make a stealth check with every post unless you want to - if you don't I'll just reuse your recent one. If you haven't yet made a stealth check and you're trying to stealth then yes, please do roll one.

I rolled for a couple of folks:

16:37, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Magdrak, rolled 11 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 10.  stealth check (using help from Morg).
16:38, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Jo Tyrihans, rolled 11 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 7.  Jo stealth check.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:55, Fri 14 Feb 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 740 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 18:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg slowly swims towards the landing, keeping an eye out for people and lit areas to avoid if possible, and crates on the landing or ship which the party could carry up the stairs pretending to be dockers.
20:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 19.  Perception check for people, lit areas, crates, etc.
Makari
 player, 27 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 18:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari concentrated for just a second and an owl appeared on his shoulder, before immediately making a quiet noise of disgust at the water and flying up slightly. It stayed low, however, and flew along the wall in to the open area beyond the chain, swooping around to make sure no one was actually there. If there was, it would let Makari know telepathically.

Makari, meanwhile, went ahead and slipped past the chain with the intention of getting out of the water slowly and entering the keep itself.
DM
 GM, 1516 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 20:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Moon beams light the surface of the river as the party seems to move in two different directions, at least for the moment.






Map updated!

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:33, Tue 18 Feb 2020.

Durik
 player, 25 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 13:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Whispering to those close to him; "Well it looks like they are in.  Hopefully then can get the gate open or at least signal us the way they took.  Gorm can you tell what that Boar is doing?  Any chance its a pet or a guard that we have to deal with?"

OOC:  DM is the boar in the area we were at?  I'm just wondering if its picking up our scent?
Makari
 player, 29 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 04:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked back and suddenly noticed no one but one of the dwarves was following him. He looked surprised and then a mixture anger and disgust. He shook his head violently and banished the feelings and thoughts away for the moment.

He carefully crept up on to the landing, trying to make as little noise as possible coming out of the water and on to the stone. He started head towards where they might be able to access the gate, but then stopped.

He turned to Morg and bid him come close. He then, as quietly as he could, cast Invisibility on the both of them, and kept a hand on the dwarf as he lead the way towards their destination so they wouldn't get separated...hopefully.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 20 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 04:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Now mostly just drifting, or even standing against the current the Bear slowly turns its head from side to side, its eyes and nose the only part above water barely make any ripples as it keeps watch on both groups of humanoids, and the silhouette of the bear on the hill up the eastern bank.
Morg Danforge
 player, 742 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 00:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg pointed up the stairs and then towards the iron grate covering the underground stream. It took him a while to realize that being invisible meant pointing didn't help, so he tried to quietly make two arrows on the ground with his soggy boots, pointing in the two directions.
DM
 GM, 1520 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 00:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boar snorts and starts rushing down the hill towards the river, then leaps into the water. Swimming hard, it fights the current and makes for the opposite shore, heading towards where the remainder of the party stands.


Map updated!

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:58, Fri 21 Feb 2020.

Makari
 player, 31 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 01:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari spoke in a very quiet hushed but not a whisper voice. "If we go up the stairs to the wall, we will need to take out the one guard, but we can lower a rope for everyone. No one else seemed keen on getting in to the water to get here like we did."

He suddenly stopped talking as the boar aggressively headed in to the river and towards the rest of the group. "what the hell??
Morg Danforge
 player, 744 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 07:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I'll try to go knock out the guard on the southern wall." Morg whispers, and dashes up the stairs.
Move: 25' to AA36.
Action: Dash 25' up difficult terrain stairs to about AA39.

DM
 GM, 1522 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 22:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari and Morg, invisible, turn towards the steps leading up to the south wall of the keep.


Let's move to initiative. Map updated.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Rowan22Disguise Self: Camo
Makari19Invisible; Conc: Invisibility
Morg19Inspiration; Invisible
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Jo6 
Boar6 
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:09, Thu 27 Feb 2020.

Makari
 player, 32 posts
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 03:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari began to move in to a position up a set of stairs to where he'd be able to see the guard and theoretically not hit Morg when the dwarf became visible. He then waited and held, his arm pointed in the guard's direction, getting ready to unleash his primary attack to aid the dwarf in putting the guard down, a pair of blasts of magical force. The owl on his shoulder watched the guard on the other wall in the distance.
Magdrak
 player, 102 posts
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 06:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak attempts to make himself as small as possible, as he looks back and forth between the guard and the boar, unsure of where his invisible companions are.  He fears to move over concern of catching the eye of one or the other potential foes, and so stays still.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 21 posts
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 21:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals

This message was deleted by the player at 21:22, Sat 22 Feb 2020.

Rowan Laren
 player, 36 posts
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 08:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Seeing his companions plight, Rowan moves toward the brewing combat.
int roll 21
DM
 GM, 1527 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 02:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boar continues to make its way as quickly as possible towards the far shore.

The guard continues to stand watch atop the wall, unaware of the two invisible figures making their way up the nearby stairs.

Rowan slips along the rocky riverbank, making his way along the shore in the shallows.


Map updated! Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now.

Makari, if you like you can move in addition to readying an action, or if you prefer just use that attack on your regular turn.

Gorm and Jo, if you like you can go ahead and take your turns also, as it seems unlikely B1's turn will affect you.

And, of course Magdrak and Durik are welcome to post, and if needed you can alter your post once I post the Mid Round Update (on the boar's turn).

Keep in mind everyone that actions get resolved in initiative order.

Round 1 Summary:

Rowan moves along the riverbank.

Makari moves to the stairs.

Morg moves to the stairs.

Guard does nothing.

Gorm does nothing.

Jo does nothing.

Boar moves east towards the Keep.

Magdrak does nothing.

Durik has stepped away from the game for a time.

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Rowan22Disguise Self: Camo
Makari19Invisible; Conc: Invisibility
Morg19Inspiration; Invisible
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Jo6 
Boar6 
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:09, Thu 27 Feb 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 745 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 06:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Invisible Morg pulls out a torch, scraping it on the stairs to try to get the nearby guard to come investigate. He reverses his grip on his greatsword in his right hand, pommel forward.
Move: 25' to x40.

Interaction: take out an unlit torch.

Action: scrape the torch on the stairs near x41, trying to get guard B1 at q41's attention, but not loud enough to get guard B2 at as18's attention.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:48, Tue 25 Feb 2020.

Makari
 player, 33 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 22:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari waited for Morg to make his move. Then he started to hear...scraping? A nearby noise, on the stairs right next to him. He carefully moved away from the stairs a little bit and then readied himself to unleash his arcane power in to blasts on the guard should when Morg made his move or the guard got within ten feet.

OOC: Still readying but moving back to AE-41.
DM
 GM, 1529 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 20:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Curious, the nearby guard walks towards the noise, heading towards the stairs.

The swimming boar turns and angles toward the riverbank south of the castle.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Jo, Magdrak, and Rowan remain to take their turns this round (Rowan, Jo, and Gorm's turn would happen before the boar's turn due to the initiative order).

Boar moves toward riverbank.

B1 moves toward Morg.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:06, Thu 27 Feb 2020.

Rowan Laren
 player, 40 posts
Sat 29 Feb 2020
at 09:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Deciding that maintaining stealth is more important than fighting a random boar for no reason in the middle of a stealth mission, Rowan swims to AP-38 as stealthily as possible.
Magdrak
 player, 104 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 03:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak watches as the boar gets ever closer to him, and finally sighs.  Realizing that he cannot avoid being seen by the creature, he moves into melee range and swings with his battleaxe.  He mutters to himself along the way.  "Of all the dumb luck..."



OOC:

Move to AL47 (Movement)
Attack with Battleaxe - 2 attacks (Action)
Miss - Natural 1
Hit AC 15 for 12 Slashing


22:04, Today: Magdrak rolled 8 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 1.  Attack with Battleaxe.
22:04, Today: Magdrak rolled 15 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 8.  Attack with Battleaxe.
22:05, Today: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 8.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)

Current HP: 51/51
Lay on Hands: 25/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 2/2

DM
 GM, 1534 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 00:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boar snarls as Magdrak's battleaxe strikes the creature squarely. Yet surprisingly the blade glances off the beast's flesh, not even leaving a mark to Magdrak's keen dwarven eyes.

Abruptly Magdrak finds himself alone on the side of the riverbank, as both Jo and Durik have wandered off somewhere.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the boar and guards take their turns.

Round 2 Summary:

Rowan moves along the riverbank to AP47.

Makari moves along the top of the castle wall to AE41.

Morg moves along the top of the castle wall to X40.

Guards
B1 moves along the top of the castle wall to W41.

Gorm moves back towards Magdrak.

Boar swims to the shore, to AM47.

Magdrak hits the boar once for 0 damage.

Durik has stepped away from the game for a time.


Round 3 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23 
Rowan22 
Makari19Invisible; Conc: Invisibility
Morg19Inspiration; Invisible
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Boar6 
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:08, Fri 06 Mar 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 747 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 09:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg strikes the guard with the pommel of his greatsword, and now visible immediately tackles it - with both of them going over the wall. Morg tries to land on top of the guard, and then stands up next to it.
Interaction: put unlit torch back.

Action: knock-out attack on B1 with greatsword - critical hit for 16 slashing damage.
Extra attack: try to shove B1 off wall, southwards - 19 vs B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check.

If shove unsuccessful, then:
Action surge: try to shove B1 off wall, southwards - 20 vs B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check.
Action surge, extra attack: try to shove B1 off wall, southwards - 27 vs B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check.

Move: If shove successful, try to go 10' with B1 off the wall, landing on the guard if possible. On the ground, use 10' (half of speed) to stand up, and then go 5' to stand next to B1 at about ¿v42?


10:57, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 28 using 2d20+8, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 20,6.  Attack B1 with greatsword (knock out - PHB p.198) with advantage for being invisible.
11:00, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 4d6+5 with rolls of 1,1,2,5.  Critical hit slashing damage to B1 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll a 1 or 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  Reroll a 1 or 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2.  Reroll a 1 or 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:03, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 11.  Athletics check (vs. B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check) to try to shove B1 off wall, southwards.
11:06, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 20 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 12.  Athletics check 2 (vs. B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check) to try to shove B1 off wall, southwards.
11:06, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Athletics check 3 (vs. B1's Athletics or Acrobatics check) to try to shove B1 off wall, southwards.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:16, Wed 04 Mar 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 2 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
There was a sudden surge of water next to Magdrak, an explosion as a massive serpent emerged from the water in a shower of droplets.  It had to have been at least ten feet over the surface of the water, and below twisting shadows gave hints at its remaining bulk.  Thicker than a man's body, the long neck was, with rippling coils of muscle visible beneath the shimmering green scales.  It opened its maw wide, fangs as large as daggers dripping with sickly green venom, and let out what should have been a menacing hiss at the giant boar.

Yet strangely, though it moved between the raging boar and the dwarf, it moved in absolute silence.   Even the frothing water about it made no noise, as if it were somehow both a part of this world and separate.

Far behind, likely as not none saw the small figure hunched behind a rock, their fingers weaving and twisting in perfect concert to the strange serpent's sinuous swaying.



Starting in AB 49
17:16, Today: Tana Nim rolled 23 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 20.  Initiative.
Action:  Casting Silent Image
Rolling Deception to try and make it convincing.
18:30, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 24 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 19.  Deception.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:40, Thu 05 Mar 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 24 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 13:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following in the wake of the serpent a large bear leaps out of the water and grabs the boar with its massive paws, not bothering to bite the creature it just tries to hold on to it.
Makari
 player, 35 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 15:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Two green beams of dull green energy lanced out of Makari, who suddenly became visible with a long sigh. The blasts shot at, and possibly in to, the guard Morg had already knocked out. Makari slowly shook his head. Things were going so well.

He asked his owl friend to fly up a bit to see if the other guard had noticed the noise or fireworks.

Meanwhile he began to pull rope out of his pack, not realizing that almost no one was still down there to need it.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:24, Thu 05 Mar 2020.

DM
 GM, 1537 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 02:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg abruptly appears on the wall, slashing his sword into the lone guard. Makari's twin blasts of emerald magic combine with Morg's momentum to push the guard off the side of the wall to the steep hill below.

The green light from atop the southern wall attracts the attention of the guard on the eastern wall. Sauntering slowly towards the source of the light, she squints towards the castle, trying to make out any signs of movement.

The boar snarls at the sudden appearance of the water serpent. Seemingly alarmed, it slashes it tusks viciously at Magdrak, then abruptly turns and tries to escape up the hill. The nearby brown bear stops its movement however, and wrestles the boar back into the shallow water.




Mid round update! Map updated.

Magdrak and Durik are up now, and Rowan can still post retroactively.

Tana gets Inspiration for the great first post!

Magdrak, you have a DC 12 Con save to make.

Guards
B2 moves south along the castle wall in the river.

Gorm Grapples the boar.

Boar attacks Magdrak with tusks - CRIT for 13 slashing. Magdrak must make a DC 12 Con save.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:21, Fri 06 Mar 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 105 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 06:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Silver or magic?  Just what kind of a boar is th-"

Magdrak gasps as the creature gores him with its tusks.  A tingling sensation travels his body, and he just stands there stunned as the boar moves away.  Dropping to his knees, he attempts to focus his body on fighting the strange infection, even saying a short prayer to Sharindlar.  "Lady of Mercy, please help me!"

A panic sets in as he attempts to use his healing ability on himself, to no avail.  His eyes take on a faint reddish tinge of madness as he begins giggling uncontrollably.  "Is this what Wiglaf felt, I wonder?  Is the same happening to me?"



OOC:

Failed Constitution save x2 - 10/8 (Used Inspiration)
No Attack of Opportunity
Drop to knees (Half Movement)
Lay on Hands on Self (Action)

09:28, Yesterday: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 7.  Constitution Save.
09:34, Yesterday: Magdrak rolled 8 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 5.  Constitution Save (Inspiration).

Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 2/2

This message was last edited by the player at 16:39, Fri 20 Mar 2020.

DM
 GM, 1540 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 01:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Amid darkening skies, the boar struggles in the strong grasp of the bear.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the boar and/or guards take their turns.

Round 3 Summary:

Tana casts Silent Image.

Rowan stays put.

Makari readies an action & takes out his rope.

Morg attacks B1 with greatsword - CRIT for 16 slashing. B1 is unconscious. Makari's readied action triggers, hitting B1 for an additional 18 force. B1 falls off the wall.

Moonclaw (Makari's owl familiar) flies up.

Guards
B2 moves south along the castle wall in the river.

Gorm Grapples the boar.

Boar attacks Magdrak with tusks - CRIT for 13 slashing (reduced to 10 by Heavy Armor Master). Magdrak fails DC 12 Con save vs. lycanthropy.

Magdrak attempts to cure his lycanthropy with Lay on Hands.


Round 4 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15Grappling Boar
Boar6Grappled by Gorm
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:31, Fri 20 Mar 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 3 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 02:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Where one moment it had been a writhing, living thing, now the serpent was as utterly still as it had been silent.  The waves that lapped about it did so no longer, and the waves that the boar and the bear's tussle caused lapped through it.  It was something not of this world, neither effecting it or effecting by it.   It was shadow and light, and. while very pretty, ephemeral and fleeting in comparison to the roaring, dueling beasts.

The figure crouching behind the rock rose to her full height, a mightily impressive 3'5".  For only a moment, her fingers had ceased, but once again they began dancing strange and arcane patterns.   A glyph of power, searing red and black, formed in her right palm.  The arcane energy burned through her veins, darkness and light traveling beneath the skin of her hand and forearm as she contained the energies she wove.  With a howl, she launched two bright burning streaks of magic at the boar, crimson energy cascading in a shower of sparks.





18:39, Today: Tana Nim rolled 12 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 7.  Eldritch Blast 1.
19:14, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Using Inspiration.
19:15, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 5 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 3.  Force damage.
18:39, Today: Tana Nim rolled 17 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 12.  Eldritch Blast 2.
18:40, Today: Tana Nim rolled 12 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 10.  Force damage.

Action:  Attack twice with Eldritch Blast at 15 and 17, damage at 5 and 10

This message was last edited by the player at 02:17, Mon 09 Mar 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 750 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 07:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks to see if the guard is still alive, but then notices all sorts of strange things in the water, looks up at the elf and points in Magdrak's direction before runing towards the dwarf who seems to be surrounded by a serpent, boar, and bear.
If Morg took >14 damage from falling off the wall onto the guard, then:
Bonus action: 2nd wind (I'll roll later for it if needed).

Move: 25' from ¿v42? to ¿ad46?.

Action: dash 25' from ¿ad46? to ¿ai46?.

Rolls, stands, and dashes to ac46.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Thu 12 Mar 2020.

Makari
 player, 36 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 18:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari glanced over the wall before he started to set the rope up for everyone to climb up.

.....there was no one there. He frowned and looked around, but only saw the dead or unconscious guard below. He heard some sounds from around the corner but couldn't see what was going.

He looked at Morg. "where is everyone??" He noticed Morg's alarmed face and the dwarf hurrying towards him. "what is it?"

OOC: Is there a place to tie the rope off securely at the top of the wall? And I know you said it but I can't find it now - how much of a drop from the top of the wall to the ground is it?
DM
 GM, 1543 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 23:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Twin blasts of magical energy slam into the struggling boar as it tries to escape the hugging bear.

Morg leaps over the crenelated wall and tumbles down the steep hill, then regains his footing and tries to get as close as possible to the struggle at the water's edge.

Mid round update!

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Rowan can also post now.

Gorm, the boar is using its action to escape the grapple - it rolled a 15. If it escapes (if you roll a 15 or lower on an athletics check) then it will move to AP40 and you can make an attack of opportunity against it if you choose. Otherwise, it stays put and does nothing else.

Morg, I rolled an athletics check for you and - well, you failed it ;). Morg takes 2 damage and rolls down part of the steep hill, then regains his footing. You made it to AC46 on the map.

19:02, Today: Secret Roll: DM rolled 15 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 12.  wereboar grapple escape.
18:53, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Morg Danforge, rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1.  athletics check - jump down.
18:54, Today: Secret Roll: DM rolled 2 using 2d6 with rolls of 1,1.  Morg falling damage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:42, Wed 11 Mar 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 27 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 02:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The slippery boar manages to wriggle its way free of the bear's grasp, but undaunted by this failure the bear chases after it and grapples it again, same thing, different place.
Makari
 player, 38 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 15:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari blinked several times rapidly and then shook his head as Morg went over the side. He let out a sigh and tied the rope off - which was possibly only necessary for himself at that point. He then began to climb down the rope once it was secure.
DM
 GM, 1546 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 12:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boar slips through the bear's grasp and runs north along the riverbank, headed for the river gate into the castle. The bear gives chase.

Atop the eastern wall of the castle, a lone guard squints into the dying light of evening, trying to make out what looks like movement near the water's edge.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, Morg, and Gorm are up now. Magdrak and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the boar and/or guards take their turns.

Round 4 Summary:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at the boar - HITS twice for 17 force.

Rowan stays put.

Makari ties a rope to the wall and climbs down.

Morg jumps the wall - athletics check FAILS. Morg takes 2 falling damage and is prone. Morg stands and continues moving toward Magdrak.

Guards
B2 stays put, looking around.

Boar escapes Gorm's grapple and moves north. Gorm gives chase and re-grapples the boar.

Magdrak stays put.


Round 5 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15Grappling Boar
Boar6Grappled by Gorm
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:23, Fri 13 Mar 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 5 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 00:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana lost sight of the enormous boar as it smashed its way through the riverbank.  She cursed under her breath, and took a moment to evaluate her choices.  None of them were good, and quite literally all of them were far more flashy than she was comfortable with.  Still, she had played her hand already, it was time to deal with the consequences.

Her right hand was still smoking from where her power had seared it, so she used her left to reach into her belt pouch and withdraw a small black raven's feather.  With a muttered curse, she slapped the black feather into her right fist and clenched it tight.  Flames burst between her clenched fingers, as if the feather itself had lit the moment she had attempted to quench it.  She hissed in pain, and a trio of glowing crimson runes spun in a circle about her closed fist.  With a whisper, she opened her hand, and a surge of power crackled over her form.  She arched her back as the magic infused her, contorting as the essence of it lifted her bodily off her feet.  Yet she remained there, utterly unnatural, floating an inch off the crowd.  As the last crackle of power flowed through her, her eyes snapped open, and she shot over the earth like a tiny comet to rise over the river.
Morg Danforge
 player, 754 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 06:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg saw the beasts move north, and the serpent disappear, and was about to motion to Mag to came to the rope Makari had tied when he saw a small creature fly towards the other dwarf. He ran towards the water, hoping to help Mag against the flying pirate.
Move: 25' from ac46 ah47.

Action: dash 15' from ah47 to ak47.

Makari
 player, 39 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 22:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari climbed down and then walked away from the wall to look around and see the river once more. He didn't see anything untoward and looked at Morg with the equivalent of a "what the hell, dude?" sort of look. He heard some splashing somewhere he couldn't see around the corner but there didn't look to be any immediate danger.

"what the hell? where did everyone-?" He cut off as someone he didn't know glowed with a red light and then flew upwards. "who is that??" He made a frustrated noise and gesture. Things were happening and he didn't know what was going on anymore.

He mentally asked Moonclaw to move to the edge closest to the river where she was on top to see what was going on, and he looked through her keen eyes.

OOC: Makari moved to AG-45, leaning against the wall currently.
Moonclaw moved to AO-37, but up on top.
Makari uses his action to look/listen through the familiar's senses.

16:25, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 15 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 12.  Familiar stealth

DM
 GM, 1547 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 13:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The guard atop the wall cups his hands around his mouth and shouts up at the nearby tower. "Reash, put down yer grog and look out yer window, ya filthy dog! Looks like there's some commotion on the river's edge!"

With a frustrated growl, the boar swings its tusks around at the bear grappling with it, raking its chest.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Rowan can also post for his turn this round. (Technically, the boar's action comes after Gorm's).

Gorm needs to make a Con save (see below)

Guards
B2 shouts at the tower.

Boar attacks Gorm - HIT for 5 slashing. Gorm must make a DC 12 Con save.

Magdrak

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:29, Mon 16 Mar 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 106 posts
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 05:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak spends a long pause on his knees, looking at his hands and wondering how he failed.  Finally he shakes it off and rises, quickly charging after the creature that poisoned him.  At the last moment remembering the words in his head, he casts an empowerment spell on his weapon and swings it at the wereboar.



OOC:

Stand up (1/2 Movement)
Move to AM48 (5' Movement)
Cast Magic Weapon (Bonus Action)
Attack with Battleaxe x2 (Action)
Hit AC 18 for 6 Slashing
Hit AC 27 for 9 Slashing


23:19, Today: Magdrak rolled 18 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 10.  Attack with Battleaxe.
23:19, Today: Magdrak rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Attack with Battleaxe.
23:32, Today: Magdrak rolled 6 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 1.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
23:33, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 4.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

This message was last edited by the player at 16:39, Fri 20 Mar 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 29 posts
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 14:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Having successfully grappled the boar in its paws the larger bear drags the thing back in the direction of the land, slowly but surely bringing it closer to those armed with magic and weapons able to hurt the thing, the small scratch from its tusks is effectively ignored.
DM
 GM, 1550 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 21:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Shouts issue from the windows of the nearby tower echo off castle walls.

Struggling against its captor's powerful arms, the boar is dragged back to the river's edge just south of the castle.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, Morg, and Gorm are up now. Magdrak and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the boar and/or guards take their turns.

Round 5 Summary:

Tana casts Fly, and flies over the river.

Rowan stays put.

Makari moves along the base of the castle's southeast tower.

Morg moves towards Magdrak.

Guards
B2 shouts at the tower.

Gorm drags Boar south.

Boar attacks Gorm - HIT for 5 slashing. Gorm makes a DC 12 Con save.

Magdrak casts Magic Weapon. He moves toward the boar and attacks - HIT twice for a total of 15 slashing.


Round 6 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15Grappling Boar
Boar6Grappled by Gorm
Magdrak3 
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Sat 21 Mar 2020.

Makari
 player, 40 posts
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 23:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari came back to his own senses and blinked a few times. Then he saw a boar fighting a bear and....stuff. He remembered the bear and boar both from earlier and thought the bear MIGHT not be a threat. He made a gesture, uttered an arcane phrase, and let loose two golden beams at the boar.

As almost an afterthought, he fired a beam of faint silver moonlight at Morg as well.

Then he moved back to the rope and started climbing back up.

Action: Eldritch Blasts. Hit AC 17 for 13 force damage, and AC 26 for 10 force damage.
Bonus Action: Healing Light on Morg for 6 points of healing.

Tana Nim
 player, 7 posts
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 02:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana rose heigh enough that she was in no danger of the boar catching her, even if it leapt, settling to land gently on the roof of the tower in a place that none of the guards would have a clear line of sight of her.    Her right hand began to sizzle and smoke as she muttered a grim curse under her breath, the glowing red rune that had manifested before sending tendrils of burning light through the veins of her hand and forearm.  Two more sizzling bursts of energy streaked out with a high pitched whine to strike at the boar, slamming into its meaty flank.
Rowan Laren
 player, 42 posts
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 08:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan, seeing there's no way to get around the guard marked as B2 without being seen, takes out one of his daggers. Cursing under his breath, he casts the spell catapult to launch it at the guard before ducking underwater, and swimming to hide behind the wall at AP-37 in hopes of reentering stealth.

01:44, Today: Secret Roll: Rowan Laren rolled 21 using 3d8+5 with rolls of 4,4,8.  Catapult.
Dexterity save negates all damage

Morg Danforge
 player, 756 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 16:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg nods a thanks to Makari for magically undoing the fall damage, but confused by ruckus ahead of him, lifts his sword - ready to strike anyone who attacks him, the other dwarfs, and the elf.
Action: ready attack if known party members are attacked.
DM
 GM, 1552 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 22:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Alarm! Alarm!" shouts echo from the arrow slits in the tower. Movement can be seen in the interior of the tower, though not too much is visible from the ground outside.

Blasts of magic crash into the boar from several directions, and the beast continues to thrash against the powerful bear's body, slashing its tusks as well as it can.




Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Gorm needs to make a Con save (see below).

Guards
B2 shouts towards the castle.

Boar attacks Gorm with tusks - HIT for 10 slashing . Gorm must make a DC 12 Con save.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 30 posts
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 22:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear continues to behave in an oddly intelligent way and drags the slashing angry boar both farther away from the keep it clearly wants to be in, and up onto the riverbank where it is easier for the folks slinging bolts of magical energy to attack it.
DM
 GM, 1555 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 21:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Lights from inside the castle turret shines out intermittently as figures inside peer out.

Magdrak puts down the still struggling boar with two vicious slices. Its form slumps between the bear's massive paws. Abruptly its tusks shorten and disappear, its piglike snout forms into a crooked nose, and its torso and legs elongate. The scarred face of the motionless human now lying on the ground is contorted into a rictus of anger.




Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, Morg, and Gorm are up now. Magdrak and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the boar and/or guards take their turns.

Magdrak can also recon his turn from the prior round.

Round 6 Summary:

Tana casts Eldritch Blast at boar - HIT twice for 14 force.

Rowan casts Catapult (using his dagger) at B2 - guard saves. Rowan dives into the flowing river.

Makari casts Eldritch Blast at boar - HIT twice for 23 force. He casts Healing Word on Morg - Morg regains 6 hp.

Morg readies an action.

Guards
B2 shouts towards the castle.

Gorm drags the boar up the hill and tries to avoid its attacks.

Boar attacks Gorm with tusks at disadvantage - HIT for 10 slashing . Gorm fails Con save and is stricken with lycanthropy.

Magdrak attacks the boar - hit twice for 17 slashing. Boar is dead.


Round 7 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration
Durik2 
Reash2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:08, Tue 24 Mar 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 8 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 21:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The grey skinned gnome was having trouble getting a clean shot, and though her arcane power sizzled and burned with its ferocity, the streaking bolts of energy found little but the dock at the sellsword's feet.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:09, Wed 25 Mar 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 108 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 04:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
<Previous Round post>

Magdrak watches as the bear drags the boar away from him, and quickly follows after.  He attacks again with his now-magical weapon, hoping to finally put the creature down.  Muttering to himself, he swings twice in succession.  "The 'Fells... Blasted thing, what did you do to me?"



OOC:

Move to AJ50 (Movement)
Attack with Battleaxe x2 (Action)
Hit AC 12 for 9 Slashing
Hit AC 15 for 8 Slashing

00:28, Today: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 4.  Attack with Battleaxe.
00:28, Today: Magdrak rolled 15 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 7.  Attack with Battleaxe.
00:28, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 4.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
00:28, Today: Magdrak rolled 8 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 3.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

Rowan Laren
 player, 48 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 13:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Deciding he doesn't want to deplete his limited supply of daggers too quickly, Rowan pokes his head around the wall, and casts bonfire at the guard for 8 damage.


15:29, Today: Secret Roll: Rowan Laren rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Bonfire.
Dexterity save will negate.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:35, Tue 24 Mar 2020.

Makari
 player, 43 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 18:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari peeked up over the wall a little and his eyes widened as he saw the amount of bandits quickly converging their general direction. He lowered himself out of sight a bit again and hissed towards the two dwarves. "guys! we have a lot of bandits coming this way! are we fighting or retreating??"

He peeked around the corner of the tower and fired two more blasts of energy at the boar, hoping to help finish it off so they could focus on either the bandits or fleeing.

OOC: No action this round as he is surveying the scene and waiting on responses from the dwarves before he opens up a can of whoop-ass.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:31, Tue 24 Mar 2020.

DM
 GM, 1561 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 01:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Argh!" cries the guard atop the wall as flames rise up around him. Backing away from them, he continues to cry out as he tamps down his smoking leather armor.

Visible to Tana atop the tower turret, three motley dressed figures charge out of the door below carrying strangely shaped shields and head for the nearby stairs leading up to the nearby castle wall. They join a pair of other castle guards on the wall, running from somewhere in the interior of the castle.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Morg can also post this round.

Reavers double-move out of the tower to the stairs up the wall.

Guards
B2 steps back.
B5 and B6 double move to climb the stairs of the southern wall
Other guards move towards the other castle walls.

This message was last updated by the GM at 01:16, Fri 27 Mar 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 757 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 07:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks up, and says "I'm no good down here, I think we should retreat." He runs into the river but keeps an eye on the rest by looking over his shoulder.
Move: 25' southeast.

Action: dash 25' southeast, trying to get deep into the river for some cover.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 31 posts
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 08:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the boar limp, and probably dead the bear lets its body drop to the ground and heads back into the water, heading back into the keep.
Magdrak
 player, 109 posts
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 16:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak watches as the bear and the other dwarf head to the water, grunting in response.  "Retreat? Not sure what that word means exactly."  He shrugs, however, and follows along behind the two, making an attempt to keep up as best he can.  As the two paths diverge, he chooses to follow Morg.



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Follow Morg (Movement)

Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1562 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 21:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boar's body changes further, its elongating legs morphing into two human arms and legs. Ragged clothes cover the motionless body, the ripped clothing revealing deep gashes.

"That there dwarf done murdered Jolliver!"
Reash yells out the arrow slit of the tower. Pointing, a bolt of energy shoots from his hand and splashes harmlessly in the nearby water.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 7 Summary:

Rowan gains Inspiration for the defeat of Jolliver Grimjaw!

Magdrak (belatedly) gains Inspiration for clearing out Scarlet Moon Hall!


Tana casts Agonizing Blast at B2 - MISS.

Rowan casts Create Bonfire at B2 - B2 FAILS the save and takes 8 fire.

Makari stays put.

Morg heads into the river.

Reavers double-move out of the tower to the stairs up the wall.

Guards
B2 steps back.
B5 and B6 double move to climb the stairs of the southern wall
Other guards move towards the other castle walls.

Gorm heads into the river, heading towards the entrance to the keep. Bonus action to regain 7 hp .

Magdrak follows Morg into the river.

Reash casts Hex on Magdrak - Magdrak has disadvantage on Dex saves. Then he casts Eldritch Blast at Magdrak - MISS.


Round 8 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Hex (disadv on Dex saves)
Durik2 
Reash2Conc: Hex

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:16, Tue 31 Mar 2020.

Makari
 player, 45 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 22:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals

This message was deleted by the player at 23:02, Wed 01 Apr 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 10 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 23:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana heard the cries coming from the other side of the tower, and made a quick choice.  She leapt from the rooftop, the magic propelling her up into the air with a roar of wind.  She reached into her belt pouch as she rose, pulling out two small metal flasks that were each barely larger than her thumb.  Chanting unheard words over the wind, she clenched her fists and tried to bring them together.  Some force resisted her, causing her to clench her teeth as she tried to power through the effort.  Her muscles strained, tendrils of black and glowing red surging along her hands and wrists along her veins as she shuddered and shook.  Bright  arcane runes of glowing crimson flared to life around each wrist, shuddering and convulsing as she tried to bring them closer.  Just behind the assembled mercenaries, almost too small to see if not for its brightness, a searing mote of flame had materialized as if from nothing.  As Tana forced the components within each fist closer, the dot of flame intensified, becoming a searing white hot ball of fire no bigger than her own tiny fist.  With what was almost a scream of effort, the magic practically burning her alive, she slammed her fists together.

The mirroring bead of fire detonated in an explosion of sound and violence, hurling searing flame in great gouts in all directions.

Exhausted, and seemingly depleted, Tana fell back to the top of the tower.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:15, Wed 01 Apr 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 759 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 10:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg keeps an eye on all the action at the walls, and swims further southeast, keeping below the surface when possible for some cover.
The the others need help, Morg will move towards the keep, otherwise

Move: swim southeast.

Action: dash: swim southeast.

Rowan Laren
 player, 51 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 00:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan casts create bonfire at b2 again, for 5 damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:55, Wed 01 Apr 2020.

DM
 GM, 1564 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 01:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
A loud, concussive explosion of fire rocks the top of the castle wall. Large chunks of stone fall to the ground as echos of the blast reverberate off the hills and over the water. Staggering away from the charred stone back down the stairs, the lone survivor of the blast hurries back towards the shelter of the tower, then gets cut down by a blast from Makari.

Atop the eastern wall, a second bonfire rises next to the first, incinerating the guard there before he can cry out.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Makari can also post as he hasn't taken an action yet this round.

R1, R2, R3, B2, B5, & B6 are dead. R2 moves back into the tower next to Reash.

Other guards position themselves atop the walls.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Thu 02 Apr 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 33 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 02:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Paddling along through the river the Bear continues to move quickly through the small docking area and into the shallow water inside the keep, clearly aiming to join the festivities going on within.
Makari
 player, 48 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 03:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari heard the footsteps above him and then a loud whoosh and saw some fire above. He flinched but it wasn't that close to him. He frowned, gripped his staff and gestured at it while uttering a different phrase. The staff glowed for just a second then the aura faded.

He climbed back up to the top of the wall once more and peeked his head above, looking for any targets to unleash his blast on again.

Bonus Action: Cast Shillelagh on my staff.
Movement: Climbing back up the rope to see if anyone is within sight.
Action: Holding Eldritch Blast until I see an enemy (if I can't do that, or if no one's in sight, then move over the wall and down the stairs towards the tower's entrance).

Shillelagh: 1 minute.

Magdrak
 player, 110 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 03:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As Magdrak is attacked he starts glancing behind him.  At the sight of the fireball explosion, he stops and turns around to stare.  He murmurs to himself.  "Impressive."

Suddenly realizing that he might still be attacked from the arrowslits, he decides that he might be better off regrouping against the wall where he can't be reached from above.  He heads in the direction of the bear, but focused on getting to cover.



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to AO45 (Action + Movement, assuming difficult terrain - otherwise, keep going north along the wall as far as I can)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1567 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 18:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Reash curses as Magdrak swims out of sight, then closes his eyes. His form blurs, becoming translucent, and elongates into a watery serpent.

Leaping from the arrow slit, the serpent of water speeds towards Magdrak through the water and surrounds him.


Map updated!

I edited the mid-round update to include Makari attacking R2 and killing him.

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 8 Summary:

Tana casts Fireball, affecting R1-3, B5-6. R2 makes the save and takes 15 fire, the others perish.

Rowan casts Create Bonfire at B2 - FAILS save and takes 5 fire. B2 is dead.

Makari climbs the rope and casts Eldritch Blast at R2 - HIT once for 8 force. R2 is dead. Makari casts Shillelagh.

Morg swims southeast.

Guards position themselves atop the walls.

Gorm swims towards the castle gate.

Magdrak moves out of the water towards the wall of the castle.

Reash shapechanges into a serpent of water, then moves into the river in Magdrak's space.

Round 9 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19Shillelagh cast round 8
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Hex (disadv on Dex saves), Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 
Reash2Conc: Hex


13:59, Yesterday: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Makari, rolled 8 using 1d10+5 with rolls of 3.  e blast damage vs. R2.
13:58, Yesterday: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Makari, rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Makari Eldritch Blast 2 vs. R2.
13:58, Yesterday: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Makari, rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Makari Eldritch Blast 1.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:58, Fri 03 Apr 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 12 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 06:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana sunk to the slanted roof of the tower gasping for breath, her wrists still smoking from where he magic had burned her.  Wiping sweat from her brow, she stared down at the serpant encircling Magdrak, and with a weary sigh raised her hands.  The sigil of power burned in her palm as she chanted the words, gathering up two more bolts of eldritch power to hurl at the creature.  She hoped it was a foe, but at this point she had lost track.
Morg Danforge
 player, 761 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 11:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg, dismayed by the deadly attacks, swims back towards Magdrak after seeing a serpent (not silent this time) jumping towards his fellow dwarf.
Move: swim towards Magdrak.

Action: dash: swim towards Magdrak.

Makari
 player, 52 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 16:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari heard the noise of more bandits moving around, but not very close by. He looked one way, then another, he stepped away from the wall he was up against. He gestured and said the arcane-infused word before pointing while holding his staff. Twin beams of pale force shot out towards one of the guards, and Makari stepped back to the wall, and hopefully out of sight.

OOC:
Movement: Ending back in the same spot, but might have to step out a bit for LoS.
Action: Firing 2 Eldritch Blasts (AC 22 for 8 force damage, AC 15 for 11 force damage) at one of the guards on the easternmost wall, since I don't know if Makari can see the one guard to the far north and west.
Bonus: None.

14:59, Yesterday: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 22,8,15,11 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 14,3,7,6.  Eldritch Blasts on guard on wall.

DM
 GM, 1571 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 17:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Twin blasts of force collide with the watery serpent surrounding Magdrak, causing gouts of water to splash upward.

Two guards hurry towards the burning bonfires at the southern tip of the eastern wall. Two blasts of energy from the southern wall catch one of them in the chest, and she crashes to the stone. The remaining guard hurries as best she can, ducking as she runs. Finding the remains of the guard on duty, she quickly raises her crossbow, searching for a target from behind the still-smouldering bonfire.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now.

Rowan should probably edit his post as he's attacked someone already dead (B9 and B10 move into range after his turn, so he can't attack them this round).

Guards B9 & B10 investigate the bonfires atop the eastern wall and arm themselves with crossbows.


Rowan Laren
 player, 54 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 06:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan takes the opportunity to submerge, dipping back into stealth as he swims to am-34.

rolled a new stealth roll of 18.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 37 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 18:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Swimming past the underwater cable the bear makes the sharp corner quite easily and continues on to make landfall just at the edge of the beach, now looking around inside the keep for the first time to see if there is anything interesting.
DM
 GM, 1573 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 21:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The water serpent surrounding Magdrak tries to squeeze his swimming form, but his stiff metal armor protects him for the time being.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Magdrak can also still post from his turn last round. Gorm and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 9 Summary:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at Reash - HIT twice for 8 force.

Rowan swims under the chain across the water gate.

Makari casts Agonizing Blast at B10 - HIT twice for 19 force. B10 is dead.

Morg swims northwest.

Guard B9 double-moves and drops prone, investigating the bonfires.

Gorm swims inside the castle, moving to the stairs near a small keelboat.

Magdrak attacks Reach/serpent - HIT twice for 22 slashing.

Reash/serpent attacks Magdrak using Constrict - MISS.

Round 10 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guard15 
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Hex (disadv on Dex saves), Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 
Reash/serpent (F)2Conc: Hex

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:24, Mon 13 Apr 2020.

Makari
 player, 53 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 22:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari couldn't easily see any other guards or bandits around at the moment, and had lost sight of most of his allies as well. He frowned a little and then decided he would see what he could see a further away. He moved quickly up the far set of stars along going up the wall he was on.

OOC: Move and Dash to around T-40.
Morg Danforge
 player, 762 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 11:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg swims as fast as he can towards Magdrak, kicking hard above the surface of the water to try and attract the serpent's attention.
Move: swim towards Magdrak.

Action: dash: swim towards Magdrak.

Magdrak
 player, 111 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 18:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals

Last Round Action


Magdrak looks at the elemental creature attacking him, and he snarls.  "First fire, and now water!"  He swings his magical weapon twice in succession, attempting to end the battle quickly.



OOC:

Maintain concentration (Magic Weapon)
Attack with Battleaxe x2 (Action)
Hit AC 25 for 9 Slashing
Hit AC 22 for 13 Slashing

14:10, Today: Magdrak rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Attack with Battleaxe.
14:10, Today: Magdrak rolled 22 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 14.  Attack with Battleaxe.
14:10, Today: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 4.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
14:10, Today: Magdrak rolled 13 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 8.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

Tana Nim
 player, 13 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 18:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Between the frothing water and the thrashing dwarf, Tana couldn't get a clear shot.  She fired off two more pulses of magic, striking the water harmlessly and sending up two more spurts.
Rowan Laren
 player, 55 posts
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 04:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan swims to aj34
DM
 GM, 1574 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 01:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Twin blasts of force fly from atop the tower at the serpent encircling Magdrak. The water seethes around the serpent as its form begins to thin.

The remaining guard atop the eastern wall stands quickly, searching the surrounding for a target, then fires a crossbow bolt at the hulking bear on the shore of the inlet, missing wide.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now.

Guards
B9 fires a crossbow at Gorm - MISS. B9 drops prone.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 38 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 08:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear somehow not only notices the near miss from the crossbow but also correctly backtracks it's path to look the guard in the eye for a brief moment before it charges along the shortest possible path to that same guard.
Durik
 player, 26 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Wed 15 Apr 2020
at 13:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"For Moradin" Durik utters and then races to help his fellow dwarves struggling in the water.

OOC:  Move from AH 48 to AM or AN 46-not sure based upon how much water slows me down
Action:  Move:
Bonus Action:  Dash

Magdrak
 player, 112 posts
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 00:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak continues his attack against the watery creature in front of him.  "Just what are you, anyway?"  He slashes again with his battleaxe in an "X" pattern, one after the other in succession.



OOC:

Maintain concentration (Magic Weapon)
Attack with Battleaxe x2 (Action)
Miss AC 11
Hit AC 26 for 10 Slashing


20:34, Today: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Attack with Battleaxe.
20:34, Today: Magdrak rolled 26 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 18.  Attack with Battleaxe.
20:34, Today: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1575 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 01:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The serpent hisses at Magdrak's question, then dissolves into the cold flowing water at the dwarf's twin strikes at the creature.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 10 Summary:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at Reach/serpent - HIT once for 5 force.

Rowan swims farther into the castle.

Makari runs across the wall, up the stairs to the west.

Morg swims up to Magdrak.

Guards
B9 fires a crossbow at Gorm - MISS.

Gorm moves through the castle.

Magdrak attacks Reash/serpent - HIT twice for 22 slashing. Reash is dead.

Durik moves into the water.

Round 11 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guards15 
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

21:29, Today: Secret Roll: DM, on behalf of Magdrak, rolled 12 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 7.  damage for 2nd hit on Reash.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Tue 21 Apr 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 14 posts
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 02:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
From her rooftop, she couldn't see where the water serpent had gone, but she could see the last remaining guard.  She turned her sizzling hand towards him, and the twin streaks of fiery red magic burned their way out of the sigil in her palm and left two enormous gaping craters in the guard's armor.   Then she leapt off the tower, and plummeted towards the water below, coming to a rest just over the heads of those in the river.

"Three days of tracking, and I finally find you what, laying siege to a castle?"

She whispered just loudly enough to be heard, her voice the rasp of a file on iron.





19:18, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 24 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 20.  EB 1.  Crit
19:18, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 20 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 16.  EB 2.
19:18, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 18 using 3d10+4 with rolls of 1,3,10.  Lots of damage.
Moving 5ft. South and then down so that I'm 15ft. over the water, hugging the tower.

Morg Danforge
 player, 763 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 16:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg saw the small flying figure, but figuring it wasn't hostile swam west ,and ran towards the rope.
Move: swim west.

Action: dash: towards rope on southern wall.

Makari
 player, 54 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 01:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari slid a step forward, and peeked around the corner of the wall. He saw at least two more of the bandits and nodded to himself. Dangerous, but work needing to be completed. He took aim, gestured and muttered the arcane incantation to fire a couple of blasts outward, targeting one of the new guards.

Then he stepped back around the corner of the wall.

OOC: Move out from the wall and then back to where he started from.

19:28, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 19,10,22,7 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 11,5,14,2.  Eldritch Blasts on B7.

Rowan Laren
 player, 56 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 01:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan decides to link up with the group again, moving to AD36 to catch up with makari
Durik
 player, 27 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 15:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following his fellow dwarves to lend them any support needed.

OOC: Swim west following Morg and then dash towards the rope on southern wall. Try and end up behind him.
DM
 GM, 1577 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 01:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Blasts from Makari and Tana pick off two more guards.

Rowan emerges from the water and heads towards Makari's position on the southern wall.

Durik and Morg head for the riverbank, then retrace their steps along the southern castle wall.


Mid round update! Map updated.

B7 and B9 are dead.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now.

Guards
B3 goes prone, then readies an action
B8 moves south and goes prone, then readies an action
B4 moves east and readies an action
B11 readies an action
B12 moves east and readies an action

Gorm Hareth
 player, 39 posts
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 05:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Continuing north through the keep the bear begins to move more cautiously, dodging between buildings, taking advantage of cover when possible, and zig-zagging a bit, clearly aware of the capabilities of guards with crossbows.
Magdrak
 player, 113 posts
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 21:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak looks around and sees the other dwarves moving away from him.  With a grunt and a nod, he quickly follows them as fast as he can, hugging the wall as much as possible.  He mutters to himself as he walks along.  "Not going to wait for me, are ya? I will just have to catch up then."



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to AI-46 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1578 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 01:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the large bear comes into view, the bandit atop the north wall fires at him. The bear dodges the bolt easily, and the guard calls out, "Bear!"


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the guards take their turns.

Round 11 Summary:

Tana attacks B9 with Agonizing Blast - HIT twice for a lot of damage. B9 is dead.

Rowan moves towards Makari.

Makari attacks B7 with Agonizing Blast - HIT twice for 17 force. B7 is dead.

Morg moves towards Makari's rope.

Guards
B3 goes prone, then readies an action
B8 moves south and goes prone, then readies an action
B4 moves east and readies an action
B11 readies an action
B12 moves east and readies an action

Gorm Dodges, and moves towards the north wall.
Gorm triggers B11's readied action - B11 fires a crossbow bolt at Gorm, at disadvantage - MISS.

Magdrak follows the other dwarves.

Durik follows Morg.

Round 12 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Moonclaw15 
Guard15B3 and B8 are prone
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

Tana Nim
 player, 15 posts
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 02:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Hovering fifteen feet above the water, Tana watched the three dwarves swim away from her without responding to her.  She looked down at herself, confirming for a moment that she wasn't invisible.  As they reached the bank and began trudging along the shore, she shot over them like a bullet, looking for one of the others who she had seen breaching the keep.  She spotted Makari on the castle wall, and dipped down to keep the battlements between her and and any archers within the keep.  When she was close enough for him to hear, she dipped closer to the battlements.

"Please tell me at least one of you speaks the Common tongue."

She muttered, her voice stone and gravel.

Move and Dash for 120ft, enough to get me to 42 S.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:57, Thu 23 Apr 2020.

Makari
 player, 56 posts
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 17:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari turned to look at the glowing woman hovering just below the lip of the wall he was standing on. He spread his hands in a 'what the hell' sort of gesture, face screwed up for a moment in a mixture of confusion and possibly anger. "Sorry, but who the bloody hell ARE you, pixie woman?"

He glanced behind him and saw Rowan coming up towards him as well. "guess this is the popular spot to be now."

He decided to do some reconnaissance before blasting again and peeked around the corner to see where the guards are now after he blasted one recently.

OOC: Taking the Dodge action. Peeking around the corner (likely triggering readied attacks, lol), but hopefully with good cover though from them.
Morg Danforge
 player, 765 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 06:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As Morg scrambles to and up the rope, he softly calls to Durik and Mag, "[Language unknown:  En hereenill inthsa terhascon nohe rimepe, niileehaom hou uroldi siseon vorlatlar ssard ei ckleho. Ilmi vereveoun si ers somma ioncomhis forlinart, be wer masitrei whi daydayera eraprokor, tedha eauncestr ne k t m icioic yiningiou.]"

Move: to and up the rope.

Interaction: sheathe sword.

Action: dash up rope and get as close to Makari as possible.

DM
 GM, 1579 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 15:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The two western guards fire at Makari, but the bolts bounce uselessly off the side of the building.

"There's a flarging bear charging towards us!" the guard yells to her fellows on the northern wall. The bolt from her crossbow lodges into the bear's shoulder and she flees east along the wall to join her companions.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Rowan can also take his turn.

Guards
B3 readies action.
B8 readies action.
B4 moves west along the wall and readies an action.
B11 attacks Gorm with a crossbow bolt - HIT for 4 piercing. Current hp: 22
B12 moves west along the wall and readies an action.


Gorm Hareth
 player, 41 posts
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 23:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Having been quite successful at dodging the crossbows so far the bear continues its oddly alert avoidance of the majority of the bolts.  The one that did hit it is pushed out of its shoulder by some kind of rapid healing or regeneration.
Rowan Laren
 player, 59 posts
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 03:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan sneaks up to the space behind Makari, possibly catching him off guard.
"Hello, I'm here to help. Do you have a preferred target?"
Durik
 player, 30 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC:17(19), HP: 48/48
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 13:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik races to the wall where Makari's rope is and readies himself for the climb; "Now lets see if these old bones still have it in them..." he growls to himself.

OOC
Action: Move to AE 45
Bonus Action:  Dash to AE 42 and ready to climb

Magdrak
 player, 115 posts
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 20:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak dashes after Morg, running along the wall and starts to climb the rope.  He grumbles to himself.  "This is not dwarf work, not meant to climb to the heights."



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to AE-42 (40' Movement)
Climb Rope 5' (10' Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1581 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 02:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Two of the guards fire bolts at the bear as he rounds the corner. One of them grazes the beast's shoulder.

The dwarves clamber to climb the rope.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 12 Summary:

Tana flies towards Makari.

Rowan approaches Makari.

Makari dodges, then peeks around corner. He triggers B3 and B8 to attack (disadv & half cover) - MISS.

Morg climbs the rope.

Guards
B3 readies action.
B8 readies action.
B4 moves west along the wall and readies an action.
B11 attacks Gorm with a crossbow bolt - HIT for 4 piercing.
B12 moves west along the wall and readies an action.

Gorm uses a bonus action to invoke Combat Wild Shape and heals 6, then moves up the stairs around the corner. This triggers attacks from B4 & B12 - B4 HITS for 2 piercing . Gorm dodges.

Magdrak hurries to Makari's rope and makes it up 10' (5' from the top of the wall).

Durik makes it to the top of the rope.

Round 13 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guard15B3 & B8 are prone
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:20, Fri 01 May 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 19 posts
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 03:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana kept her head down as the quarrels struck the battlements.

"Pixie?"

She rasped incredulously, looking down at herself hovering twenty feet over the ground.

"Fair enough.  You get that one for free.  Now, where are those bastards shooting at you?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 770 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 06:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg sees crossbow bolts flying towards the others, and runs at full speed towards the tower's door up ahead.
Interaction: unsheathe sword.

Move: 25' west towards Makari, Rowan, and the flying creature.

Action: dash 25' west.

Makari
 player, 58 posts
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 15:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Suddenly after being left alone for almost a full minute, everyone was over by him and talking to him. He glanced at Rowan and then at the woman. "Well there are bad guys around this corner along the wall over there," he said pointing to the west wall, "lying down prone and waiting for someone to pop their head around the corner."

He pointed over his shoulder to the north. "I'm fairly certain I saw a few more bandits on the north wall as well though I didn't have good line of sight to blast them. So. Ideas?"

He looked at the flying woman. "I'm Makari. What's your name?"

OOC: I figure all the talking took up a bit more than a free action anyway. =)
DM
 GM, 1583 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The guards try to slow down the bear's advance, but to no avail.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Rowan can also post.

Guards
B3 readies action.
B8 readies action.
B4 fires another crossbow bolt (disadv from Dodge) - MISS. She then moves away from Gorm.
B11 drops his crossbow, steps forward, draws a scimitar, and attacks Gorm (disadv from Dodge) - MISS.
B12 drops his crossbow, draws a scimitar and attacks Gorm (disadv from Dodge) - MISS.

Durik
 player, 31 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Fri 1 May 2020
at 12:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Catching his breath briefly a he gets to the top of the wall; "My old bones are not made for all this running." With that he heads off as fast as he can along the tower wall using his shield a best he can to block any bolts.

OOC:
Action-Move to AA
Bonus Actions-Dash to V

Gorm Hareth
 player, 42 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 14:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Finally having reached its targets the unusually evasive bear unleashes its power in a far more typical bear like way, clawing and biting at the guards in front of it, completely ignoring their swords, and easily over powering their shields and armor as it rips into them.
Magdrak
 player, 116 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 16:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak grunts as he finishes his climb.  He continues to follow the others, muttering all the way.  "Dunno where we are goin' in such a flamin' hurry!  I do not see anyone else around at the moment."



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to X-41 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

This message was last edited by the player at 17:21, Sat 02 May 2020.

DM
 GM, 1585 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 2 May 2020
at 15:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
One of the guards falls under the bear's savage attacks, and the remaining two look at each other uncertainly.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the guards take their turns.

Round 13 Summary:

Tana chats with Makari.

Rowan stays put.

Makari chats with Tana.

Morg runs along the wall toward Makari and Rowan.

Guards
B3 readies action.
B8 readies action.
B4 fires another crossbow bolt (disadv from Dodge) - MISS. She then moves away from Gorm.
B11 drops his crossbow, steps forward, draws a scimitar, and attacks Gorm (disadv from Dodge) - MISS.
B12 drops his crossbow, draws a scimitar and attacks Gorm (disadv from Dodge) - MISS.

Gorm attacks B12 with claw & bite - HIT for 10 slashing and 9 piercing. B12 is dead.

Magdrak climbs the rest of the way up the rope and moves west along the wall.

Durik moves west along the wall.


Round 14 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Moonclaw15 
Guard15B3 and B8 are prone
Gorm15 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:31, Tue 05 May 2020.

Rowan Laren
 player, 60 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 05:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Very well, I'll disrupt their ambush then."
using his continued camo-boosted stealth to his advantage, Rowan moves to R40, casting sleep for 18 points, centered to catch both guards.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:40, Mon 04 May 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 20 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 05:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Although Makari couldn't see her, Tana nodded.

"Tana Nim, of the Second Calling."

She answered, though the title was meaningless to the others.

"I'll see what I can do."

She added, and with a rush of wind she was gone, tracking along the wall to try and come up behind those lying in wait for those to whom she had offered her aid and her magic.

Action:  Use all movement and the Dash action to Fly to E30, staying under the wall.
Morg Danforge
 player, 772 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Sun 3 May 2020
at 17:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg runs towards the tower door, trying to open it.
Move: 25' from t41 to o41.
Action: dash 25' from o41 to n41.
Interaction: try to open door.
If the door opens, go in and dash 20' northwest.
(If Morg takes 15+ damage, he'll Bonus: 2nd wind.)

Makari
 player, 59 posts
Mon 4 May 2020
at 15:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari watched in a little surprise as after being left on his own for so long, people were suddenly around and willing to help. He watched as Morg rushed past him towards the door. He blinked and then shrugged, figuring this was all as good a distraction as any. He stepped to the corner of the wall and attempted to blast the other guard, which was more difficult since he was lying down - gripping his staff and pointing at the guards as he uttered the arcane phrase once more.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Mon 04 May 2020.

DM
 GM, 1588 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 5 May 2020
at 02:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana flies around the gatehouse, staying low to avoid being seen by the guards on the west wall. Shouts arise out of the southwestern gatehouse tower at her passage however, and two twangs of crossbows ring out as guards behind the arrow slit windows fire as she passes by.

At Rowan's spell, one of the guards on the western wall slumps in his prone position, his head bouncing slightly on the worn stone. The other guard raises his crossbow at a shadow of movement to the south, but is blasted against the outer wall by the force of Makari's spell. A similar blast shakes the sleeping guard awake. Recovering quickly, he stands and fires a return bolt at Makari, then makes for the door into the gatehouse to the south.

The guard next to the bear on the north wall backs away slowly, then turns and hurries away from Gorm along the wall. The second guard fires a bolt at the bear, missing wide, then jumps down into the interior courtyard of the castle, rolling as she hits the ground, then stands and starts making her way towards the eastern wall.

Morg hurries to the door on the western side of the wall. It doesn't budge, and appears to be barred from the inside.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Tana should make a concentration check to maintain concentration on Fly.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now.

Tana flies around the gatehouse. This triggers attacks from hidden guards in the southwestern gatehouse: B13 attacks Tana with crossbow - HIT for 7 piercing.
B14 attacks Tana with crossbow - MISS.

Rowan moves to R40 to cast a spell (he passes a stealth check with adv), Rowan casts Sleep - B3 falls asleep.

Makari steps forward and triggers B8's readied action. B8 attacks Makari with crossbow - MISS. Makari casts Agonizing Blast on the guards - HIT B8 for 15 force. B8 is dead. HIT B3 for 8 force. B3 wakes up.

Morg moves up to the door into the southwest tower. The door appears to be barred from the inside.

Guards
B3 stands and fires the crossbow at Makari - HIT for 3 piercing.  B3 moves south on the wall.
B4 fires a bolt at Gorm - MISS. He jumps off the wall and takes 5 bludgeoning, then runs towards the eastern wall.
B11 disengages and runs east along the wall.
B13 readies an action.
B14 readies an action.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 43 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 08:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Continuing to rampage seemingly unhindered through the northern section of the fort the bear closes with the guard foolish enough to stay on top of the wall and ripps into him with tooth and claw.
Durik
 player, 32 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Tue 5 May 2020
at 12:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Moving along the wall, keeping his shield at the high ready.  Closing the gap to Morg.  "Lets both try to bust the door down, lets put our shoulders into it."

OOC:
Action:  Move to Q41
Bonus Action:  Dash to M40 (Door)

Magdrak
 player, 118 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 19:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak moves to the corner next to the door, prepared to burst through after the others force it open, or else assist in the job if necessary.  "Are we there yet?"



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to N-41 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1591 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 6 May 2020
at 01:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear charges forward and overwhelms the remaining guard on the wall, as her companion rushes away. The two dwarves approach the door to the second floor of the guardhouse.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 14 Summary:

Tana flies around the gatehouse. This triggers attacks from hidden guards in the southwestern gatehouse: B13 attacks Tana with crossbow - HIT for 7 piercing.
B14 attacks Tana with crossbow - MISS.  Tana makes concentration save.

Rowan moves to R40 to cast a spell (he passes a stealth check with adv), Rowan casts Sleep - B3 falls asleep.

Makari steps forward and triggers B8's readied action. B8 attacks Makari with crossbow - MISS. Makari casts Agonizing Blast on the guards - HIT B8 for 15 force. B8 is dead. HIT B3 for 8 force. B3 wakes up.

Morg moves up to the door into the southwest tower. The door appears to be barred from the inside.

Reavers
K8 4 Reavers arrive at source of trouble on round 16

Guards
B3 stands and fires the crossbow at Makari - HIT for 3 piercing.  B3 moves south on the wall.
B4 fires a bolt at Gorm - MISS. She jumps off the wall and takes 5 bludgeoning, then runs towards the eastern wall.
B11 disengages and runs east along the wall.
B13 readies an action.
B14 readies an action.

Gorm moves after B11 and attacks - HIT with claws and bite for a total of 17 damage. B11 is dead.

Magdrak moves next to Morg in front of the door.

Durik moves next to Morg in front of the door.

Round 15 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guards15 
Gorm15 
Holger12 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:19, Fri 08 May 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 22 posts
Wed 6 May 2020
at 01:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bolt caught her high in the thigh, and she suppressed a scream of pain as her magic wobbled and sought to leave her.  She held onto it, keeping herself aloft and gritting her teeth through the agony as she tore the bolt free.  It was deep, and would have bled profusely, yet as she tore the quarrel free the gash sizzled and smoked.  In an instant, it had cauterized itself closed with infernal power, the scar fading to little more than an angry red line.  She gave far better than she got, floating over the lip of the battlements with a glyph of power searing the flesh of her right hand.  Two brilliant bolts of crimson energy struck the guard in the back, smoke curling from her fingertips as the magic crackled and burned.

Tana had 7 temporary hit points from killing all those guards with a fireball due to.

Dark One’s Blessing - PHB, pg. 109
When you reduce a hostile creature to 0 HP, you gain 7 temp HP.

Assuming the crit kills the guard, she has 7 new temp HP.  I love Warlocks, but I'd never made an Infernal one before.  Infernal Warlocks are awesome!

Action:  Double Eldritch Blast hit at 22 and 24 (crit), for 22 force damage.
Move:  Peek over the wall, shoot the guard, and then duck back down somewhere where there isn't an arrow slit menacing me.


09:41, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 17 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 16.  Concentration.
09:44, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 22 using 3d10+4 with rolls of 6,2,10.  Damage:  2 hits, 1 a crit.
09:43, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 24 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 20.  EB 2.
09:43, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 22 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 18.  EB 1.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:41, Wed 06 May 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 773 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 1sw 1as 4sd8
Wed 6 May 2020
at 13:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg drops his sword, and with his crowbar tries to pry open the door.
Free action: drop sword.

Interaction: withdraw crowbar from backpack. (Like a potion per PHB p.190? If not, then instead use interaction to pick up dropped sword after trying to kick open the door.)

Action: use crowbar, giving strength check advantage (PHB p.151) to try to leverage open the door: 21 strength check if crowbar can be used as leverage, otherwise 17.

Move: make space for others to get past or to the door.

(If Morg takes 15+ damage, he'll Bonus: 2nd wind.)

15:26, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 12,16.  Strength check to try to open door with crowbar (which gives advantage if leveragable).

Makari
 player, 61 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 6 May 2020
at 22:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari pulled back to the wall and waited. He saw Morg and Magdrak trying to open the door - which appeared to be locked or something. He didn't have any immediate targets to blast, so he wasn't sure if there was anywhere he should go. So for the moment he opted to wait until the door was opened, or a target presented itself.

He telepathically told Moonclaw to keep an eye on the bear and for any more enemies.

OOC: Moving back to the wall, to the east of Rowan, (S-40 I think) and then Dodging for my aciton.
Rowan Laren
 player, 63 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 17:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan casts mold earth, taking a chunk out of the wall, and molding it to fill in the arrow slits on b14s tower, leaving a blank stone wall.
DM
 GM, 1595 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 8 May 2020
at 18:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana's blasts cut down the guard on the western wall, just before he makes it to the gatehouse door.

The northern guard, still wounded from her jump off the wall, stumbles and runs for the eastern wall and the long keelboat moored there.

Morg pries open the reinforced door with a groan of creaking hinges and a spray of partially-rotted wooden splinters. The guards on the inside of the gatehouse spin towards the sound, and raise their crossbows to fire on the dwarf.

"Rally to Holger, ya filthy dogs!" one of the defenders hollers towards the stairs. "You two," he shouts to the two guards manning the arrow slits as he drops his massive crossbow and hefts a wicked mace, "with me to the door!" The other guards drop their crossbows and hurry to attack Morg hand to hand, drawing curved scimitars.

Sitting from its perch high atop the southeastern tower, Makari's familiar watches four more human figures appear out of the building in the center of the castle courtyard, hurrying out the eastern door towards Moonclaw. To the owl's sharp eyes, the figures carry strange looking shields made of hard shells that look as though they belong on a sea creature, and long swords decorated with teeth that give their sharp edges a serrated look.


Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now.


Tana casts Agonizing Blast at B3 HIT twice (1 CRIT) for 22 force. B3 is dead.

Rowan casts Mold Earth, closing the nearby arrow slit.

Makari dodges.

Morg drops his sword & breaks down the door with a crowbar. This triggers readied actions:
B13 spins and attacks Morg with a crossbow - HIT for 2 piercing.
Holger attacks Morg with heavy crossbow - MISS. Morg moves into the gatehouse.

Reavers
R4 dashes.
R5 dashes.
R6 dashes.
R7 dashes.

Guards
B4 dashes to the eastern wall.
B13 drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a scimitar - MISS.
B14 drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a scimitar - HIT for 6 slashing.

Holger drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a mace - HIT twice for 14 bludgeoning .

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:27, Fri 08 May 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 44 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 19:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Without any more visible, or even detectable, threats in its immediate area the Bear proves why running away is not always the best option, climbing down the wall as easily as it would a steep mountain side the bear then dashes up the easy slope of the stairs to the east in pursuit of the crossbow wielding person that is running away.
Morg Danforge
 player, 774 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Fri 8 May 2020
at 20:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals

Morg Danforge:
(If Morg takes 15+ damage, he'll Bonus: 2nd wind.)
I misread the initiative order, and rolled for 2nd wind too early, it should only happen in round 16:

Bonus: 2nd wind for +14 HP.

22:32, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 1d10+5 with rolls of 9.  HP recovered from second wind.

Magdrak
 player, 119 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 22:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak moves around through the doorway to the other side of the wall, swinging with his battleaxe at one of Morg's assailants.  "More of these 'Fell-blasted...?"  His voice trails off as he gets to work, chopping twice in succession with his blade at the nearest enemy.  Upon striking, he channels the power of Valkauna and smites the man.



OOC:

Move to M-41 (Movement)
Attack Guard B13 with Battleaxe x2 (Action)
Hit AC 15 for 7 Slashing-Magic
Hit AC 21 for 10 Slashing-Magic
Divine Smite for 4 Radiant
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


18:26, Today: Magdrak rolled 15 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 7.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:26, Today: Magdrak rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:26, Today: Magdrak rolled 7 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 2.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)
18:26, Today: Magdrak rolled 10 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)
18:34, Today: Magdrak rolled 4 using 2d8 with rolls of 2,2.  Divine Smite Damage. (Radiant)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

Durik
 player, 33 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Mon 11 May 2020
at 12:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following Magdrak into the room, Durik raises his shield and swings his hammer at the closest target.

OOC:
Move: Start at N41 and move into the tower to M41 near enemy B13
Action:  Attack B13 missing with a 7.

If I'm looking at the map wrong-then put me in the room near a target.

08:42, Today: Durik rolled 7 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 2.  attack.

DM
 GM, 1597 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 11 May 2020
at 13:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The guard sprints onto the eastern wall, the bear in close pursuit. "Shoalar! Pike! We're under attack!" she cries as she approaches the keelboat.

The two dwarves behind Morg storm into the gatehouse, and cut down one of the guards there.


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 15 Summary:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at B3 HIT twice (1 CRIT) for 22 force. B3 is dead.

Rowan casts Mold Earth, closing the nearby arrow slit.

Makari dodges.

Morg drops his sword & breaks down the door with a crowbar. This triggers readied actions:
B13 spins and attacks Morg with a crossbow - HIT for 2 piercing.
Holger attacks Morg with heavy crossbow - MISS. Morg moves into the gatehouse.

Reavers
R4 dashes.
R5 dashes.
R6 dashes.
R7 dashes.

Guards
B4 dashes to the eastern wall.
B13 drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a scimitar - MISS.
B14 drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a scimitar - HIT for 6 slashing.

Gorm climbs down the wall and chases the remaining guard near him.

Holger drops his crossbow and moves to attack Morg with a mace twice - HIT twice for 14 bludgeoning .

Magdrak moves into the guardhouse and attacks B13 - HIT twice for 21 mixed damage. B13 is dead.

Durik moves into the guardhouse and attacks B14 - MISS.

Round 16 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19 
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guards15 
Gorm15 
Holger12 
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

Morg Danforge
 player, 775 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 0sw 1as 4sd8
Mon 11 May 2020
at 17:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"The dwarves are upon you! Surrender or die!" Morg shouts as he charges in and attacks.
Interaction: pick up greatsword.

Bonus action: 2nd wind - see link to a message in this game

Action: knock-out (not lethal) attack on H (or B14 if H is out) with greatsword - hits AC 20 for 17 slashing damage. Maneuver: menacing attack: target must make a WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened of Morg until end of Morg's next turn.
Extra attack: knock-out (not lethal) attack on H (or B14 if H is out) with greatsword - hits AC 21 for 11 slashing damage.

If H and B14 is still standing,
Action surge: Attack: knock-out (not lethal) attack on H (or B14 if H is out) with greatsword - critical fail.
Action surge: Extra attack: knock-out (not lethal) attack on H (or B14 if H is out) with greatsword - hits AC 23 for 12 slashing damage.

Move: If H is down but B14 is still up, move 10' to j40. If both are down, move 25' to i36.

18:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 20 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 12.  Attack H (or B14) with greatsword.
18:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 6,1.  Slashing damage to H (or B14) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
18:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll the 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
19:08, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d8 with rolls of 3.  Maneuver: menacing attack on H/B14 (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.
19:13, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Attack H (or B14) with greatsword.
19:13, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 1,1.  Slashing damage to H (or B14) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
19:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll 1st 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
19:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll 2nd 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
19:19, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1.  Action surge attack H (or B14) with greatsword.
19:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 15.  Action surge extra attack H (or B14) with greatsword.
19:21, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 6,2.  Action surge extra attack slashing damage to H (or B14) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
19:21, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  Reroll the 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.

Makari
 player, 63 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 11 May 2020
at 21:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari saw one of the dwarves, Morg, was getting hurt. So he flicked one hand towards the dwarf and a ray of soft white light shot out and enveloped him for a moment. Some of the wounds healed a bit.

Then he moved to the corner of the building on the wall he was at. He glanced around it and saw what his familiar had pointed out. He gripped his staff, made a gesture and uttered an arcane-infused phrase. A terrible tearing sound could be heard, like something ripping open the air itself. Darkness spilled out on to the area where the reavers were at and where they were heading towards, shrouding the area in bitter black sightless cold. But there was still sound - a cacophony of soft whispers and slurping noises that can be heard up to 30 feet away.

Bonus Action: Healing Light on Morg (healing 5 hit points to Morg)
Movement: Move to U-40.
Action: Cast Hunger of Hadar at point junction AB/AC-35/36 (20 foot radius, so should encompass them and the stairs up to the wall).

15:11, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5.  Healing Light on Morg.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:40, Mon 11 May 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 23 posts
Mon 11 May 2020
at 21:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana peaked over the wall again, and seeing no more guards, slipped over it and into the courtyard.  She stayed low, her eyes sharp as they looked for more arrow slits or foes.  She didn't see anyone, but she heard the sounds of battle, and using the power of her Art surged towards it.  So it was that she came upon Rowan and Makari, weaving their own magics.

"Dealt with the crossbowman giving you trouble."

She panted as she hovered in place, her right hand smoking slightly as the scar of her spell glyph faded from a black burn to angry looking flesh.  She looked through the door where the noise was coming from, but didn't see much besides Magdrak's back.

Move 60ft. to 37P.  Doesn't look like I have a clean shot.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:29, Mon 11 May 2020.

DM
 GM, 1598 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 13 May 2020
at 21:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Blackness surrounds the reavers suddenly, tearing at their minds with insane visions. One screams out, "To Reash's tower!", and the group stumbles on through the darkness.

Still running from the bear, the guard leaps onto the gangplank and continues to call out. "Shoalar! Pike! There's a cursed bear chasing me!"

The remaining guard in the guardhouse curses as Morg takes down Holger. "Never mind, run for yer lives!" he calls down the nearby stairs as he makes for the north end of the room.

Mid round update! Map updated.

Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik are up now. Rowan can also post, and his action will fit into the initiative order before Makari.

Makari uses Healing Light on Morg, who regains 5 hp. He casts Hunger of Hadar at the group of Reavers.

Morg takes Second Wind and heals 14 hp . He attacks Holger with Menacing Attack - HIT twice for 28 slashing. He uses Action Surge to attack again - HIT once for 12 slashing. Holger is unconscious.


This message was last edited by the GM at 01:36, Sat 16 May 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 48 posts
Thu 14 May 2020
at 09:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Continuing its seemingly inexorable onslaught through the base the large brown bear at last catches the small screaming human and mauls it with both tooth and claw, changing the tone of those screams immediately.
Rowan Laren
 player, 67 posts
Thu 14 May 2020
at 12:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
choosing to stay with the group, Rowan moves to M40. Unfortunately, this leaves him without a sight line on the fleeing guard, so he is relegated to waiting for his companions to press forward.
Magdrak
 player, 120 posts
Thu 14 May 2020
at 14:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Chasing after the remaining guard from their brief skirmish, Magdrak is able to overtake him.  Seeing the door he is trying to escape through, the dwarf places himself right in front of it so that the man must try to go through him.  "Just where do you think you are going?"


OOC:
Is the door open or closed?  Also, I am fine with an Opportunity Attack if he's paying enough attention to make one. :-D

Dash (Action)
Move to H-32 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

This message was last edited by the player at 14:38, Thu 14 May 2020.

Durik
 player, 34 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Fri 15 May 2020
at 14:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following after Magdrack, Durik chases after the guard that fled.

OOC:  Run and Dash should put hm at I36.  These short stubby dwarf legs can't keep up......
DM
 GM, 1599 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 16 May 2020
at 01:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The remaining guard at the north end of the tower plunges screaming into the softly lapping water below at the bear's relentless assaults.</Blue>


Map updated!

Tana, Rowan, Makari, and Morg are up now. Gorm, Magdrak, and Durik can also post now and may change their posts after the reavers and guards take their turns.

Round 16 Summary:

Tana flies over the wall.

Rowan moves along the wall.

Makari uses Healing Light on Morg, who regains 5 hp. He casts Hunger of Hadar at the group of Reavers.

Morg takes Second Wind and heals 14 hp . He attacks Holger with Menacing Attack - HIT twice for 28 slashing. He uses Action Surge to attack again - HIT once for 12 slashing. Holger is unconscious.

Reavers take 5 cold damage to start their turns.
R4 dashes into the nearby tower.
R5 dashes into the nearby tower.
R6 dashes towards the nearby tower.
R7 dashes towards the nearby tower. Dex save: FAIL. R7 takes 2 acid.

Guards
B4 disengages and runs onto the gangplack leading to the keelboat.
B14 disengages and runs to the north end of the guardhouse, around the corner from view.

Gorm moves and attacks B4 - HIT twice for 14 damage. B4 is dead.

Holger is unconscious.

Magdrak moves into the north end of the gatehouse.

Durik moves into the north end of the gatehouse.

Round 17 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19Conc: Hunger of Hadar
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guards15 
Gorm15 
Holger12unconscious
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:40, Sat 16 May 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 25 posts
Sat 16 May 2020
at 02:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Seeing the Dwarves once again ignore her existence, Tana flew back to Makari.  She spent a moment surveying the destruction his magic had wrought, her eyes narrowed as she watched the retreating backs of the Reavers.  She raised a hand, and the flesh on her palm once again began to sizzle and smoke.

"Eldranis."

Makari heard her hiss in pain, and two more bolts of burning crimson energy struck the retreating guards as the fled into the tower.

"Who is it I have committed to killing by aiding you, by the way?"

She spat out through gritted teeth, shaking her hand as the sizzling smoke wafted away from it.


Move to directly hovering over Makari
Fire 1 Eldritch Blast at R7
18:50, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 25 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 20.  EB 1.
18:51, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 14 using 2d10+2 with rolls of 8,4.  Damage + Crit.

Fire 1 Eldritch Blast at R6
18:50, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  EB 2.
18:51, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 4 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 2.  Damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:49, Sat 16 May 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 779 posts
 mountain dwarf AC11 1insp
 fighter 5 BM 0sw 0as 3sd8
Sat 16 May 2020
at 07:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Surrender and drop your weapons, or die." Morg shouts as he runs towards the guard.
Move: 25' to i36.

Action: Ready: if B14 attacks any party member, or moves from h35 without surrendering, then knock-out (not lethal) attack on B14 with greatsword - hits AC 16 for 16 slashing damage.

Reaction: Opportunity Attack: if B14 attacks any party member, or moves from h35 without surrendering, then knock-out (not lethal) attack on B14 with greatsword - hits AC 25 for 12 slashing damage.

Interaction: if B14 drops any weapons, kick away the most dangerous melee weapon.

09:18, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 8.  Possible readied attack on B14 with greatsword.
09:19, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,6.  Possible slashing damage to B14 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
09:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Possible opportunity attack on B14 with greatsword.
09:21, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,4.  Possible slashing damage to B14 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).

Makari
 player, 65 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 16 May 2020
at 21:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari heard a bit of noise coming out of the darkness he'd...released would be a more accurate description rather than conjured...but aside from a few quick pained noises he heard nothing but the really disturbing noises that normally came with that particular spell.

He frowned. "I think those bandits might have fled the area of my spell." He shrugged and smiled. "But at least that gives us a bit of respite!"

He glanced at Tana, letting loose a pair of arcane blasts at the bandit on the western wall top. "Bandits. They attack and rob people on the river there." There were other reasons as well but those weren't really his to reveal nor his concern.

OOC: Maintaining concentration for now on Hunger of Hadar.
Movement: Move to Q-40.
Action: Eldritch Blast vs B15 (Hit AC 20 for 7 dmg and AC 18 for 11 dmg).
Bonus Action: None.

15:57, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 20,7,18,11 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 12,2,10,6.  Eldritch Blasts vs B15.

Rowan Laren
 player, 68 posts
Mon 18 May 2020
at 13:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Not wanting to waste any spell slots on such a vastly outnumbered enemy, Rowan moves to J38, and casts create bonfire for 2 damage on the bandit.
DM
 GM, 1600 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 19 May 2020
at 01:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana and Makari pick off two of the fleeing castle dwellers from outside.

The door slams on the southeastern tower, shutting out the sphere of black horror just outside.

The remaining guard in the gatehouse yelps and jumps back from the bonfire that erupts beneath this feet. Dropping his scimitar and crossbow, he raises his hands above his head. The heat from the fire radiates off the cold ancient stone of the walls, and shadows play at angles around the corners as the land outside the castle walls deepens into evening.


Map updated!

We're basically out of initiative now, though I'll keep the order in case fighting erupts again.

Round 17 Summary:

Tana flies above Makari and casts Agonizing Blast at R7 - HIT twice for 18 force. R7 is dead.

Rowan moves into the gatehouse and casts Create Bonfire near B14 - B14 FAILS save and takes 2 fire.

Makari moves west on the wall and casts Agonizing Blast at B15 - HIT twice for 18 force. B15 is dead.

Morg moves further into the gatehouse next to the remaining guard.

Reavers
R6 moves into the nearby tower.

Guards
B14 surrenders.

Round 18 Initiative Order (if applicable):

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration, Conc: Fly
Rowan22 
Makari19Conc: Hunger of Hadar
Morg19Inspiration
Reavers16 
Moonclaw15 
Guards15 
Gorm15 
Holger12unconscious
Magdrak3Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Durik2 

Morg Danforge
 player, 780 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC11 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Tue 19 May 2020
at 11:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg hog-ties the guard who surrendered, listening out for any other fighting.
Action: tie up B14.

If not hearing any sounds of battle, or anyone calling for help, then Morg will drag B14 into the southwest tower, search Holger the unconscious guard leader, and put on his own armor.

Durik
 player, 35 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Tue 19 May 2020
at 12:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Catching his breath after the fight; "Lets find any other survivors.  I would not be surprised if we find some slaves or other prisoners with a motley group such as this."

Seeing Morg tying up one of the guards he works to find his way to the courtyard; "Is everyone alright does anyone need the healing touch of the All-Father?"
Magdrak
 player, 121 posts
Tue 19 May 2020
at 18:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak looks at Durik and considers the other dwarf's offer.  Finally he shakes his head.  "I am fine.  Just a scratch, nothing to worry about."


OOC:

Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

Makari
 player, 66 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 19 May 2020
at 21:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari moved back towards the others a bit once more. He jerked a thumb over his shoulder. "Well, there's about 4 or so more in that tower over there. They, uh, ran in to one of my spells and disliked it very much. So I think they are sort of trapped for the moment."
DM
 GM, 1602 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 19 May 2020
at 22:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The heat of battle over for the time being, the group gets a chance to observe their surroundings a bit better.

The room most of the party stands in features doors leading out onto the top of the walls to the north and to the east. A chain mechanism in the northern half of the room is positioned over the main gate, and looks as though it will raise or lower the bars of the main gate. Another controls the portcullis. Three holes in the floor, each about a foot square, look down on the empty passage below.

Stairs lead down from the southern part of the room, presumably to the castle gatehouse proper below. Four crude bunks, little more than hammocks tied to iron spikes hammered into the walls, are scattered around the circular chamber. Beneath one of the bunks lies a wooden coffer, and strewn near all of them lay scattered smallclothes, discarded fishing lines, a few coins, and other items.

As he is tied up by Morg the remaining conscious guard looks wide-eyed at the intruders, then scowls as he is dragged into the southern room. He doesn't resist, however.

Morg quickly finds a key around Holger's neck, as well as a belt pouch containing a single gold coin and a small mermaid figurine carved from a blue quartz gem.

Gorm's beastly eyes scan over the large keelboat moored to the inner side of the keep's east wall, floating in the boat basin. The gangplank from where the guard fell slants sharply down to the deck of the boat, about six feet below. Hatchways lead into the boat's cabin from the bow and the stern.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 50 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 00:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While no more agile than any other bear this one once again displays an uncommon grasp of the world around it by not climbing down the gangplank to put entirely to much weight on one side of the modest craft, instead jumping from the dock to land centered on the deck, shaking the craft a bit but not threatening to unbalance it in any way.  Proceeding to the larger of the two hatches the bear begins to bash it open, again striking at the weakest point.
Tana Nim
 player, 26 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 02:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana came down gently onto the walkway at the top of the wall, floating a foot over the ground behind Makari.

"Ah, so they do speak common."

She said as she drew closer, catching the tale end of their conversation.

"Sorry about the dramatic entrance, I've been trying to catch up with you since I saw you leaving the Sacred Stone Monastery.  I'm fast, but my Art has limits, and long overland travel is not its strength.  It took me until now to catch up, and by the time I got here the fight had already begun."

She turned to Makari.

"You have my name, I'd have yours."

She looked to the group.

"All of yours, and then I'd hear what quarrel you have with the Cultists of the Sacred Stone."
Morg Danforge
 player, 782 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 20 May 2020
at 06:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While putting on his chainmail, Morg says to the guard "If you try to escape, these wizards will find you and kill you without a second thought. Do as I say and you should make it out alive." He makes sure the guard doesn't have any weapons or anything sharp, and then drags him to just outside the northern door of the southwestern tower, "Lay here against the door, don't move, and don't make a sound."

Closing the door, Morg keeps the rope tied to the guard taut as he walks with it around the wheel controls of the chains or portcullis, and closer to the party. Holding the rope, he says to Durik  "I'm fine thanks." To Makari "Many thanks for the healing - who is your moonlight god? Are they from the elvish pantheon?"

Morg turns to the rock gnome. "I'm Morg, from the Earthspur Mountains Danforge clan."
Makari
 player, 67 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 20 May 2020
at 18:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari raised an eyebrow at the gnome woman. "Of course we speak the Common tongue. We've been doing so during the fight." Of course, his Common was accented. He was clearly not a local.

Having said that, however, he gave a bow of his head. "My name is Makari Dyerna." He didn't really know much about the monastery she asked of but he nonetheless said, "Thank you for your assistance."

He looked to Morg and smiled lightly. "You are welcome. I do what I can." He hesitated and then continued on. "As with most of the people in my country do, I worship The Three: Bhalla, Khelliara and the Hidden One. The Hidden One is tied to the the moon and stars and such, but I believe that The Three together sent their celestial emissary to me, awakening my powers."
Morg Danforge
 player, 783 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 20 May 2020
at 21:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Khelliara?" Morg said, scratching his head. "That's a different name for Mielikki, aye? I had a firbolg friend tho told me about her. If Marthammor Duin gets us out of here alive, I'd like to hear more about the other two."
Morg Danforge
 player, 784 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 20 May 2020
at 21:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg turns to the rock gnome. "Air cultist Merosska wanted Qarbo from the Sacred Stone Monastery dead, who in turn may be related to the "Bringers of Woe" thugs from Red Larch."

"Both groups of cultists were, well cultish, tho one of the airy ones didn't seem all bad."

Magdrak
 player, 122 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 21:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak tilts his head slightly to the side and gives a nod to the newcomer.  "Greetings.  I am Magdrak of Cla-"  He stands frozen for a moment with his mouth open, then closes his eyes and sighs, and gives an almost imperceptible shake of his head.  Opening his eyes, he starts again.  "I am Magdrak."
Tana Nim
 player, 27 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 23:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana went stock still, hardly breathing as she hovered several feet off the stone floor.

"Is Qarbo dead then?"

She said at last, a curious tilt to her head as she stared down at Morg.
Morg Danforge
 player, 786 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Thu 21 May 2020
at 12:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Yes, Rona killed him. We just wanted to talk to him about the air cult, but, uh, things got out of hand when he wouldn't let us leave."
Durik
 player, 36 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Thu 21 May 2020
at 13:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Continuing to walk around the party and captured guards-Durik checks them over for injuries,  His years of experience have taught him that once adrenaline starts flowing-they don't often see minor wounds until later.

Turning toward Tans-"Stoneshield.  Durik Stoneshield from Citadel Adbar.  Servant of the All-Father Moradin.
DM
 GM, 1603 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 22 May 2020
at 01:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the group in the castle gatehouse discusses things, the lone bear bashes at the hatch in the bow of the boat.


Gorm can make a Strength check if he's actually trying to break through the hatch.

Tana Nim
 player, 29 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 02:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
She let out a breath, turning to acknowledge Durik as well.

"Well met, all of you.  I am happy to have lent you aid here.  You have saved me a great bit of trouble with your deeds, and it will be a while before I no longer consider myself in your debt.  I have to ask though, did all of the Stone Knight Cultists die? There were many of them, and I did not dare to check for fear of losing sight of you all once I saw you leave on what I now assume were these Air Cultist's mounts?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Fri 22 May 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 51 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 02:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Having failed to pop the lock with a simple swat the bear rears up and drops most of its body weight onto the hatch, breaking through it on the second try.
Makari
 player, 68 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 22 May 2020
at 03:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari shook his head at Tana. "Don't look at me." He gestured towards the dwarves. "I've only just met most of them very recently. I don't know anything about a monastery or...these cults you speak of really."

He moved back a little bit, back towards where he'd cast the spell before. "I don't mean to rush you all, but the spell only lasts about a minute, and there are still several bandits in that tower over there."
Morg Danforge
 player, 787 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Fri 22 May 2020
at 07:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Trying to look down some of the holes in the floor, Morg says to Tana "No, there were still stone monks there when we fled, and probably more monstrosities."
Rowan Laren
 player, 69 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 13:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan sits in the background, watching events unfold as he carves at a piece of wood with a small knife.
DM
 GM, 1605 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 22 May 2020
at 14:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear's paw breaks through the hatch, punching a hole through the thick, sturdy wood. Though not large enough to move through, the hatch seems weakened enough to open upon another blow or two.

Morg peers through the holes in the northern room's floor, down to what looks like a plain entrance hall leading from the main gate. To the dwarf's eye they seem to be a defensive feature of the keep, murder holes to allow safe attacks against any unwelcome visitors coming through the front door.


Updated Loot thread with XP & loot acquired so far today. There is still loot left over from Day 9 to allocate around, if you so desire.

Note too that there are a few "party magic items" in that thread available to be claimed left over from departed PCs - let me know if anyone claimed these already and I missed it.

Tana Nim
 player, 31 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 23:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana scowled at that, rubbing at her tiny shoulders.  She really was a small thing.

"Well, that is a matter to discuss when we've seen this through.  I've wielded fire and cursecraft at these men you say are bandits, I've clearly made my choice.  What is the plan?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 790 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Fri 22 May 2020
at 23:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Do we have time for me to get my armor fully on? What should we ask the conscious guard? I'm not good with interrogations."

"Then look for survivors, slaves, or prisoners like Durik said, and look for Ro's sword before we take on the southeast tower?"

Tana Nim
 player, 32 posts
Mon 25 May 2020
at 22:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana nodded.

"I'll keep a lookout, and call out if I see anything."

She peeked out the door, trying to get a gauge for where their enemies had gone.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 52 posts
Mon 25 May 2020
at 23:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Although quiet for most of the rest of the fortress the knock. . . knock. . . knocking of the bear on the hatch of the boat sounds like a slow steady drum beat for those near the dock.  From inside the craft it is no doubt terrifying in its power and inevitability.
Makari
 player, 70 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 25 May 2020
at 23:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked back towards the others as Tana came up beside him where he was watching the door to the tower that the bandits had entered. He gave her a nod, and a quick-flash smile before returning his attention back to watching for any sign of them leaving.
Durik
 player, 38 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Tue 26 May 2020
at 13:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
hearing the steady knocking from the boat; "I do believe the bear may be trying to get our attention.  Perhaps it has found a clue or has someone trapped in the boat."  Durik says as he starts heading in that direction.
DM
 GM, 1607 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 27 May 2020
at 01:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear breaks through the hatch, revealing a short ladder down to an interior room. Dim light illuminates the floor from beyond the bear's view.
Tana Nim
 player, 33 posts
Wed 27 May 2020
at 01:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ah."

Tana said.

"I'm glad I didn't throw Art at the bear then, I wasn't clear whose side it was on."
Makari
 player, 71 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 29 May 2020
at 20:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari was torn. On the one hand, he wanted Morg to be fully armored and outfitted once more. On the other hand, it felt like not the best of ideas to leave the bandits alone...or for that matter the bear and whatever it was up to. Was it going after one of the bandits in the boat? Was there honey in there?

He let out a sigh. "I'm going to head down the stairs, which may mean the bandits attack me. But the bear....I don't know what the deal is with the bear." He glanced back at Morg and then the others, concern resting lightly on his features. "Should we wait for Morg?"
Magdrak
 player, 123 posts
Fri 29 May 2020
at 21:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak grunts.  "The bear did leave us be, not like that fellsworn boar creature.  Plus, if it is going after bandits, it might be best to give it assistance."  He looks at Morg, the other dwarf in the middle of donning his armor and shrugs.

"He will be fine here.  We should not allow the remaining enemies a chance to regroup or flee.  But which way should we go?  Down to the bear, or around to the other tower?  Or should we split up?  My vote is for the tower.  The bear can handle itself, I would assume."
Rowan Laren
 player, 72 posts
Fri 29 May 2020
at 23:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan stands back, focused on his wood carving.
Tana Nim
 player, 35 posts
Sat 30 May 2020
at 00:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I'll vote with you.  Magdrak, right?  I'll vote for the tower.  My Art hasn't faded, I can still take to the air and provide support from above, provided the ones with crossbows are all dead or occupied."

Tana rasped.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 53 posts
Sat 30 May 2020
at 01:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Either vindicated in its efforts to expose the inside of the boat, or just hungry and tired, the bear pushes through the now useless debris of the hatch and into the hold of the ship, disappearing from view but still fairly easy to track the movement of due to the none to faint sounds of its heavy claws scraping on the wooden stairs, the shaking of the ship itself with even the gentle centered balance of its massive form.
DM
 GM, 1609 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 31 May 2020
at 20:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg continues putting on his armor.

The bear disappears inside the keelboat, lumbering down the ladder made for human-sized legs. The beast's eyes adjust to two gently swinging lanterns affixed to the ceiling of a cramped bunkroom belowdecks.

Crowded into the southern end of the bunkroom are 4 figures, huddled near the rear ladder and hatch above. The crew of the boat stands behind a tall, blue-skinned humanoid clad in black leather. A black hat with multicolored feathers in it sits atop his head at an angle, and he grimaces as he watches the bear crash down the ladder.

"Fire, yer scurvy dogs!" the captain cries, all but one of the crossbow bolts missing its target. One bolt shatters a porcelain vase, tied down to a rough wooden table near one of the bunks. The captain grunts, then yells "You'll be payin' for any damage, mind ye! Blast it all, out with ye, I'll take him meself."

As the crew scrambles up the ladder behind, the captain quickly points at the intruding bear and 3 bright flashes of arcane energy explode into the bear's form.


For those in the gatehouse, are you doing anything else while Morg puts on armor? Searching the room, trying the key anywhere, etc. Tana is the only one with a vantage point to see the boat at the moment (except for perhaps Makari's familiar), and she had a rather low perception check, so she's neither heard nor seen anything so far.

Map updated!

Pike fires a crossbow bolt at Gorm - MISS. He escapes through the rear hatch.

Crew:
C1 fires a crossbow at Gorm - MISS. He escapes through the rear hatch.
C2 fires a crossbow at Gorm - HIT for 8 piercing. He escapes through the rear hatch.

Shoalar casts Magic Missile at Gorm - autohits for 7 force.

Round 1 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Pike12 
Crew9 
Shoalar7 
Gorm3 


This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Tue 02 June 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 54 posts
Sun 31 May 2020
at 22:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With a roar that can fairly easily be heard outside the ship the Bear surges forward in the tight passageway, nearly unavoidable, as it rips into the single remaining occupant of the now violently shaking water craft.
Makari
 player, 72 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 31 May 2020
at 23:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari had taken the time to pull up his grapple hook and rope while he had been watching the tower the bandits went in to. He let out a sigh when he heard the bear noises. "Does anyone know that bear? It seems to have been following us and attacking some of the bandits? It's...very strange for a bear I think. But I haven't known many."

He glanced at Morg and then started heading towards where the bear and the ship were. "I suppose I'm going to check it out."
Tana Nim
 player, 36 posts
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 01:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana shot up and into the sky towards the tower, trying to gain some altitude and figure out just what in the Nine Hells was going on.
Durik
 player, 39 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 11:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"That Bear has not betrayed us yet.  In fact it has been lending a paw quite often and now it looks to be in trouble.  I'm going to help it or at least see what it found-maybe some good food."

OOC:  Full move and then Dash to the Bear
07:31, Today: Durik rolled 7 using 1d20-1 with rolls of 8.  INIT.  Not sure if you needed it or not.

DM
 GM, 1612 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 22:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear's advance staggers the captain, and he quickly teleports to the nearby ladder. Flinging a burst of cold magic behind him, he climbs above deck.

Outside the boat, the crew hurries to safety.


Map updated!

[from round 1] Gorm uses Combat Wildshape and regains 13 hp. Gorm attacks Shoalar - HIT twice for a total of 10 damage. .

Pike, C1 and C2 all double move.

Shoalar casts Misty Step to the top of the stern ladder, then casts Ray of Frost at Gorm - HIT for 6 cold.  Gorm's movement is reduced by 10' until the start of Shoalar's turn. He then moves onto the deck of the ship.

Round 2 Initiative Order:
WhoInitStatus
Pike12 
Crew9 
Shoalar7 
Gorm3 

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:41, Wed 03 June 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 57 posts
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 22:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Covered in what must surely be almost entirely other people's blood the seemingly uninjured bear leaps out of the hatch the hastily fleeing crew had no time to secure and rushes after the spellcasting trickster it flushed out of the craft and onto the dock.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:14, Fri 05 June 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 792 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 07:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Let's rally to the bear, but someone please leave me some more rope." Morg says as he stops putting on his armor, brings in the tied up guard, and hog-ties the unconscious guard.
That'll probably take at least 3 rounds before Morg can move out of the tower.
Makari
 player, 75 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 15:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari nodded to the others. He started heading down the stairs and towards the boat, but keeping an eye out for any of the bandits or any other enemies or anything. He wasn't sure if the bandits would be coming out or staying in the tower, or what the bear was doing in the boat, but he figured he'd see what was what.

Move to like AC-31.
09:40, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 11 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 5.  Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Wed 03 June 2020.

Durik
 player, 40 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 17:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"to the Bear"  Durik says as he moves as fast as he can toward the bear

OOC:  Move to H26 along the tower heading toward the stairs
Magdrak
 player, 124 posts
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 19:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak grunts again.  "Sounds like the bear might need our help after all.  Catch up when you are able, Morg."  He moves off toward the sound of the bear's struggles.



OOC:

Initiative Roll - 4
Dash (Action)
Move to M40 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


15:39, Today: Magdrak rolled 4 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 3.  Initiative Roll.


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

Tana Nim
 player, 38 posts
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 01:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana did not quite understand what was happening, so she flew back to the tower she had first alighted on, and tried to piece things together by watching them all unfold.



Move:  Flying to AN 37
Action: Perception
18:14, Today: Secret Roll: Tana Nim rolled 6 using 1d20 with rolls of 6.  Perception.

DM
 GM, 1614 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 01:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The corner of Shoalar's mouth quirks upward as the bear approaches and carefully steps onto the slanted gangplank. Just as the bear begins its attacks, the captain of the boat dodges them easily.

Waving his arms in the air and muttering under his breath, the captain gestures at the slavering bear. A large wave of water erupts from the relatively calm lagoon below, drenching the bear in salt water and threatening it balance.


Map updated!

[from round 2] Gorm (squeezing on the gangplank) attacks Shoalar - MISS.

Pike, C1 and C2 all double mov into the northeast tower.

Shoalar casts Tidal Wave on Gorm - Gorm must make a DC 13 Dex save or fall from the gangplank into the water and take 15 bludgeoning (7 and remain on the gangplank if save is successful).

Other party members all move to various locations - after the large wave it's clear where the bear and Shoalar is to everyone within sight lines of the boat.

If it becomes relevant I'll add others to the initiative order.

Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Pike12 
Crew9 
Shoalar7 
Gorm3 

Durik
 player, 41 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 12:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Continue to race as fast as he can along the wall to the stairs.

OOC: Move and then DASH:  J17
Tana Nim
 player, 39 posts
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 17:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Finally having a clear shot of the action from her vantage point, Tana decided for the second time that day to intervene.  She raised a hand, and through gritted teeth hiss the words that would send glyphs of demonic magic searing into her flesh.  At her call, two bright crimon motes of energy streaked forth to strike Shoalar.  One went wide, hitting the dock at his feet, but the other caught him square in the shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:28, Fri 05 June 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 59 posts
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 17:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While Hardly a graceful move the bear leans into the tidal wave that knocks it off off the gangplank, flowing with the water down to the dark waters between the ship and the pier and out of sight.

Shortly there after a small cloud appears overhead and a bolt of lightning shoots down onto the pier just above the gangplank where the bandit fleeing from the bear is.
Makari
 player, 77 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 6 Jun 2020
at 00:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari saw a non-bear person do something, it looked like they cast a spell maybe, and the bear was washed away from the boat and in to the water. Makari pointed his staff at the man over the distance and uttered the arcane phrase to cast his Eldritch Blast once more. Two beams of energy lanced out towards the person.

Move to AC-28.
Cast Eldritch Blast (Hit AC 15 for 7 damage and AC 12 for 15 dmg.

18:32, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 22 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 19.  Initiative.

18:31, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 15,7,12,15 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 7,2,4,10.  Eldritch Blasts vs Shoalar.

Magdrak
 player, 125 posts
Sat 6 Jun 2020
at 15:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak continues moving in what he thinks is the right direction, before he realizes that the other dwarf was not behind him.  "Where did you go, Durik?  I hope that I am not going the wrong way..."



OOC:


Dash (Action)
Move to W40 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

DM
 GM, 1616 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 7 Jun 2020
at 13:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Shoalar grins down at the bear as it falls off the gangplank. His smile falters slightly as the bear suddenly shifts into a humanoid form, then he darts away in alarm as lightnings crash all around him, and bolts of force come from two different directions.

With a smirk he pulls a crumpled black leather hat from his voluminous trousers and sets it on his head at an angle. Giving a slight wave at Tana atop the southeast tower, he curls one finger and points. Then, in a cloud of acrid smoke, he is gone.


Map updated!

[from round 3] Gorm falls off the gangplank. Revert to true form . She casts Call Lightning on Shoalar - he FAILS save and takes 17 lightning.

Makari casts Agonizing Blast at Shoalar - HIT once for 7 force.

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at Shoalar - HIT once for 10 force.

Shoalar casts Chill Touch at Tana - HIT for 5 necrotic . Tana can't regain hit points for 6 seconds. Shoalar casts Misty Step.

Other party members all move to various locations.

We are out of initiative.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:30, Sun 14 June 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 60 posts
Sun 7 Jun 2020
at 15:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
After the combined lightning strike the bear, now a bit wet but otherwise unharmed and no longer covered in blood, climbs back up on the pier and goes running off in the direction the man with the fancy hat teleported.
Tana Nim
 player, 40 posts
Tue 9 Jun 2020
at 01:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana's eyes went wide at the gesture from the unknown man, the whispers in her head promising retribution for what had been done to her.  She began to weave her magic again, skin sizzling as acrid smoke filled her nostrils, but saw so one upon which to unleash it.
DM
 GM, 1619 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 01:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The waters of the nearby river splash against the rocks, and a cool breeze slices through the deepening evening. Clouds scud across the sky, further darkening the interior of the castle, as the quarter moon's light is dimmed. No other movement from the surroundings is evident.
Tana Nim
 player, 41 posts
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 01:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana went perfectly still, hidden on top of the tower.
Makari
 player, 79 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 03:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked around but didn't see any enemies. The ones inside the tower hadn't come out and the one who'd been battling the bear had disappeared. His eyes narrowed. It wouldn't do to get too separated from the rest of his companions so he headed back towards the wall where Morg and some of the others were.
Morg Danforge
 player, 793 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 05:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Finishing with the guards, Morg vacillates between going north or east but eventually heads out thru the northern door.
Move: 25' north towards Durik.

Interaction: close tower's northern door.

Action: Dash 25' towards Durik.

Not sure how many actions dealing with the 2 guards took, so this might happen later.

Durik
 player, 42 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 11:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik continues to move as fast as he can toward Gorm.
Magdrak
 player, 126 posts
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 19:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak runs into the small valley leading to the boat dock.  "Just where are we running to exactly?"



OOC:


Dash (Action)
Move to AB35 (Movement)
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 1/2

Gorm Hareth
 player, 62 posts
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 20:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the one most interesting person gone the bear returns to the north east tower to bash the door in, once again lacking any thumbs it just goes through the doorway rather than waste time testing it for a lock.
Durik
 player, 44 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 13:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik cautiously approaches Gorm with his palms facing him; "Well friend-are you alright.  That was brave of you.  Do you need any healing?"  He will try and look over the bear for any injuries and then follows close behind it as it moves through the door.


OOC:  I don't think I saw Gorm turn to human and back.  So as far as Durik is concerned its just a smart bear that has been helping the party.
Rowan Laren
 player, 76 posts
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 18:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Rowan looks up from where he had been entirely focused on his carving to the point of tuning out everything else around him. "Wait, what did I miss?"
Tana Nim
 player, 42 posts
Sat 13 Jun 2020
at 04:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Seeing the others reuniting with the bear, Tana took to the air and flew to join them.
DM
 GM, 1627 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 13:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Passing the nearby keep, Morg notices lights through the narrow arrow slits, though no figures or movement is visible inside.

Invisible, Malz slides into the interior of the southeastern tower through a hole in the ruined second floor. Ruptured wooden ceiling beams covered with lichen lay askew over the rubble strewn remains of the floor. Gaping holes in the floor make the main floor visible below, where curtains hang across the eastern half of the room, apparently to wall off someone's private quarters. Several straw pallets lie on the floor near the door. A capstan stands against the north wall, with a heavy chain disappearing through a pipe to the northeast. The river laps just beneath the lower arrow slits of the tower.

Three figures huddle around the north-facing arrow slits, talking quietly among themselves.

"Is the bear gone?" one of them asks. "I can't tell yet," says another. "Things are quieter than they were at least."

After looking up from his work, Rowan finally realizes that he is alone in the guardhouse. He spies a coffer with a lock on it underneath one of the messy bunks, apparently left untouched by the rest of the group. Holger lies dead on the floor a few feet away, and another of the guards breathes shallowly across the room, tied securely by Morg's rope. The sound of hushed voices, too low to hear, echos up the nearby stone steps.

As the rest of the group gathers around Gorm, the bear continues to maul the locked door. Double doors front the structure to the immediate west of the tower, which appears to be a small chapel.

Finally the door gives way, opening inward to reveal the interior of the tower. A rush of air carries a rank smell out of the tower, where three large hairy creatures stand just inside the door, brandishing large morningstars and long javelins. Behind, the crew of the nearby keelboat shies away from the sound of the crash, but quickly move forward behind the creatures. The hairy figures are easily identifiable as bugbears.

"Argh, the damn bear! Fire!" the grizzled crewman exclaims, suiting his words by raising a massive crossbow and loosing a bolt at the ravening bear. A volley of bolts and javelins rain down on the bear, and one of the bugbears swings its morningstar at her head.


Map updated!

Everyone in the party is now up.

Roughly 15 minutes have passed since the end of the battle at the southwest tower, and around 5 minutes since Shoalar disappeared. Morg is again wearing his armor, Tana's Fly spell has worn off, and Magdrak has another 45 minutes for Magic Weapon.

Round 1 So Far:

Crew
C1 fires a crossbow bolt at Gorm - MISS.
C2 fires a crossbow bolt at Gorm - HIT for 4 piercing.

Bugbears
B1 throws a javelin at Gorm - HIT for 8 piercing.
B2 attacks Gorm with a morningstar - HIT for 12 piercing.
B3 throws a javelin at Gorm - MISS.


Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Crew21 
Bugbears18 
Morg18Inspiration
Rowan14Inspiration
Makari11 
Magdrak10Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Tana7Inspiration
Gorm5Conc: Call Lightning
Durik4 
Pike3 

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:30, Mon 15 June 2020.

Makari
 player, 86 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 13:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked wide-eyed at the cluster in there. "I think we may need to go find our other friend soon and make sure there aren't more hiding in the bottom layer of his town as well."

He concentrated on one of the bugbears, pointing at it, and uttering an arcane phrase, "Eldritch Blast!" Twin beams of green flame lanced out, but one went wide.

OOC: Step back one square (I think to AH-10), fire off Eldritch Blast at B2 (or B3 if B2 is down), then step south one square, I believe to AH-11.
Hit AC 21 for 13 force damage. Missed...AC 11 for 15 force damage.

17:27, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 21,13,11,15 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 13,8,3,10.  Eldritch Blasts vs B2 (or B3 if B2 is down).

Morg Danforge
 player, 796 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 17:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg grabs a javelin, shouts "A toothpick for the burrower!" and chucks it at one of the bugbears. He moves a few feet south shouting "Move away in case the tower collapses!"
Interaction: take out javelin.

Speak: trying to scare them out of the tower with a nonsense story about a burrower. Either Deception 7 or Intimidate 10.

Action: attack B2 (who might have half cover) with javelin - critical fail.
Extra attack: can't no more interactions.

Move: 25' to ak11.

19:29, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d20 with rolls of 7.  Deception or Intimidation (+3) check about fake burrower.
19:30, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1.  Attack B2 with javelin1.

Tana Nim
 player, 43 posts
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 19:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana waited for a clear shot, reaching one of her tiny hands out to fire off two blasts of eldritch power into the backs of the warriors.

Then, hopefully before they could fire back, she drifted ten feet to the right of the door.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Thu 18 June 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 68 posts
Sun 14 Jun 2020
at 23:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
After breaking in the door the bear weathers the combined assault of whatever was in there, and backs off, covered in blood but not suffering overly from that particular problem.

At the same time a bolt of lightning cracks down from above at an angle to blast the bugbears, sparks flying and a bit of sound but nothing like true thunder.
Durik
 player, 45 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 48/48
Mon 15 Jun 2020
at 11:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik waits his turn to follow the others into the room and looks for an opportunity to find a target in melee combat.


OOC:  Hit Ac 12 for 6 DMG.  Actin move into room and find melee target

07:20, Today: Durik rolled 6 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 4.  Warhammer 1h dam.

07:19, Today: Durik rolled 12 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 7.  attack.

Magdrak
 player, 128 posts
Wed 17 Jun 2020
at 05:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak casts a quick teleportation spell to move past the bear, and attacks one of the bugbears with his battleaxe.  "Time to get to work."  When the two quick slashes connect, he focuses divine fury upon the foe.



OOC:

Cast Misty Step (Bonus Action)
Move to AL7 (Misty Step)
Attack Bugbear B3 x2 (Action)
Hit AC 23 for 9 Slashing-Magic
Hit AC 27 for 12 Slashing-Magic
Divine Smite for 11 Radiant
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


01:00, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 23 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 15.  Attack with Battleaxe.
01:00, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Attack with Battleaxe.
01:00, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 4.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)
01:00, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 7.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)
01:03, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 11 using 2d8 with rolls of 5,6.  Divine Smite Damage. (Radiant)


Current HP: 41/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2

DM
 GM, 1632 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 02:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the sudden appearance of Magdrak among the occupants of the tower, crossbows swivel in his direction, and bolts fly.

The bear retreats from the door, taking a stinging blow to its hind leg as it moves away. Another bolt of lightning crashes down into the doorway, staggering the bugbear there. Rubbing at its eyes in the wake of the bright blast, it swings weakly at Durik as he approaches the door.


Map updated!

Magdrak needs to make a DC 16 Dex save or take 14 lightning (7 on a success), and make a concentration check for Magic Weapon.

Everyone in the party is now up.

Remainder of Round 1:

Morg throws a javelin at B2 - MISS.

Rowan hangs out.

Makari casts Agonizing Blast at B2 - HIT once for 13 force.

Magdrak casts Misty Step and moves into the tower. He attacks B3 - HIT twice with Divine Smite for a total of 32 damage. B3 is dead.

Tana casts Eldritch Blast - MISS.

Gorm uses Combat Wild Shape and moves away from the door. B2 uses reaction to make an opportunity attack - HIT for 15 piercing . Gorm makes concentration save. Gorm uses Call Lightning affecting Magdrak, B1, and B2. B1 fails and takes 14 lightning. B2 succeeds and takes 7 lightning.

Durik moves to the door and attacks B2 - MISS.

Pike drops his crossbow and draws a mace, then attacks Magdrak - MISS.

Round 2 So Far:
Crew
C1 fires a crossbow bolt at Magdrak - MISS.
C2 fires a crossbow bolt at Magdrak - MISS.

Bugbears
B1 throws a javelin at Durik - CRIT for 11 piercing .
B2 attacks Durik with a morningstar - MISS.


Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Crew21 
Bugbears18 
Morg18Inspiration
Rowan14Inspiration
Makari11 
Magdrak10Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Tana7Inspiration
Gorm5Conc: Call Lightning
Durik4 
Pike3 

Gorm Hareth
 player, 71 posts
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 03:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Slowly but surely recovering from its injuries the bear moves back into view of the door just as another lightning bolt arcs in through one of the arrow slits in the side of the tower to impact between the crossbow team and their ally.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:34, Sun 21 June 2020.

Makari
 player, 87 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 04:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari eyed the first bugbear and aimed once more with his hand while gripping his staff. He fired off a pair of eldritch blasts of green flame once more. This time both blasts were better-aimed, though that didn't necessarily mean anything.

Hit AC 17 for 14 force damage. Hit AC 17 for 7 force damage.

21:26, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 17,14,17,7 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 9,9,9,2.  Eldritch Blasts vs B2 (or B3 if B2 is down).

Morg Danforge
 player, 797 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 ?sd8
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 08:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg moves back to look thru the door, takes out his last javelin and is about to help Durik evade the bugbear, but seeing Mag inside the tower instead shouts at the goblinoid at the door as he throws his javelin at its head.
Move: 15' to ai9.

Interaction: take out javelin2.

Action: attack B2 with javelin2 - hits AC 13 (may also have half cover) for 15 piercing damage.
If that hit B2, then Morg will use the Menacing attack maneuver, in which case B2 must make a WIS save vs DC 16, or be frightened (disadvantage on ability
checks and attack rolls while Morg's within its line of sight, and B2 can't willingly move closer to Morg) until end of Morg's next turn.

Move: 10' to ak9.

Extra attack: If B2 can be attacked from ak9 (probably not because of the angle), then attack B2 with greatsword - hits AC 27 for 11 slashing damage.

10:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 5.  Attack B2 with javelin2 (may have half cover).
10:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 2.  Piercing damage to B2 from javelin2.
10:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Maneuver: menacing attack on B2 (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.
10:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Possibly attack B2 with greatsword.
10:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,3.  Possible slashing damage to B2 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).

Tana Nim
 player, 44 posts
Fri 19 Jun 2020
at 00:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Small and quick on her feet, Tana slipped into the open doorway just long enough to send another two bolts of eldritch power towards the most wounded looking enemy, and then darted back into a hiding spot.
Magdrak
 player, 129 posts
Sat 20 Jun 2020
at 22:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak cringes as he takes the full brunt of the lightning blast.  "What in the 'Fells was that?"  He shrugs it off and swings twice at Pike with his axe, hoping to down this opponent as quickly as the last.



OOC:

Failed Dex Save (14 Lightning Damage)
Passed Con Save (Concentration)
Attack Pike x2 (Action)
Hit AC 18 for 11 Slashing-Magic
Hit AC 17 for 13 Slashing-Magic
Maintain concentration on Magic Weapon


18:10, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 2 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 1.  Dexterity Save.
18:12, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 18 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 15.  Constitution Save.
18:12, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 18 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 10.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:12, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 17 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 9.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:12, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 6.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)
18:12, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 13 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 8.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing-Magic)



Current HP: 27/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2

Durik
 player, 46 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Mon 22 Jun 2020
at 12:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Reeling from the Javelin that catches a soft spot in his armor; Durik takes a swing at one of the Bugbears.

OOC:  Hit AC 13 for 8 DMG
08:00, Today: Durik rolled 10 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 8.  DMG.
08:00, Today: Durik rolled 13 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 8.  attack.

DM
 GM, 1633 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 01:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group quickly takes down the remaining bugbears and the keelboat crew. Darkness descends outside the tower, and the silence is broken only by the rushing water of the nearby river.


And, we're out of initiative again! Map updated.

Remainder of Round 2:

Morg throws a javelin at B2 - MISS. Morg moves up and attacks B2 with greatsword - HIT for 11 slashing. B2 is dead.

Rowan hangs out.

Makari casts Agonizing Blast at B1 - HIT twice for 21 force. B1 is dead.

Magdrak  attacks Pike - HIT twice for 24 slashing.

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at C1 - HIT for 7 force.

Gorm uses Call Lightning affecting C1, C2, and Pike - C1 & Pike FAIL the save and take 16 lightning. C2 saves. Pike & C1 are dead.

Durik moves into the room and attacks C2 - HIT for 8 bludgeoning. C2 is dead.


XP Awarded:

Pike - 100
Pike's crew - 50
3 bugbears - 600

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:14, Wed 24 June 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 798 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 ?sd8
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 05:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg quickly looks around, and before leaving says "I'm going back to the southwest tower to make sure our prisoners don't escape - the keen eyed can have a look around here for clues and Rowan's sword."

He heads back the way he came, on the northern and western walls.
Quick passive perception=14 look around before going back to SW tower.
Durik
 player, 47 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 11:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Nodding at Morg; "Anyone hurt-need a bandage or something more.?"
Makari
 player, 88 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 21:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari shook his head. He wasn't injured. He also wasn't sure where to go. He looked back towards the tower to the south where he KNEW that some of the bandits had gone to. What if they tried to ambush Morg on his way back - or worse they want to free the prisoners?

He let out a sigh and followed after Morg, keeping his senses alert for danger.
Tana Nim
 player, 45 posts
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 03:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana shook her head.

"Unharmed."

Which was odd, as there was a tear in her leathers at her shoulder, and blood was drying around her collarbone.

"My magic is spent though, what was your goal once the bandits were dead?  Whose keep is this?""
Morg Danforge
 player, 799 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 04:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg stops just before exiting the tower, and answers Tana, "I wanted to make sure the people here actually are bandits, and maybe capture and return them to the constable at Red Larch. While the cultists in the valley are probably beyond rehabilitation, bandits might be brought around. Hopefully our captives can also answer questions about some river pirates. Rowan needs to find and return a sword which may be here."
Heading back to SW tower.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 72 posts
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 08:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Once again covered in blood, but not visibly harmed the Bear takes one last look into the northwest tower to make sure that nothing dangerous is moving around in there, or takes one last sniff of whatever makes it smell so bad, and turns away to follow and quickly catch up with the two legged people heading for the next tower..
DM
 GM, 1634 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 00:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Inside the tower northeast tower, filthy furs and discarded bones litter the interior. The rank animal smell is only increased by the corpses of the keelboat crew and the filthy bugbears.

Morg, Makari, and Gorm make their way back to the southwest tower with whoever else accompanies them.


Tana, Magdrak, and Durik remain in the northwestern tower unless you decide to follow the others.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:34, Fri 26 June 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 130 posts
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 03:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak shakes his head at the question.  "I will live, I am sure."  He follows along with the others to the southwest tower.



OOC:


Current HP: 27/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2

Durik
 player, 48 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 22:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
When Magdrak leaves Durik follows him to the other tower.
Tana Nim
 player, 46 posts
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 00:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana shrugged and followed the others.

"You ummm... you kill cultists then?"

She said, licking her lips.

"You've certainly made a habit of it."

She gestured around vaguely.

"Is that something you wish to keep doing?"
Makari
 player, 89 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 01:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned and looked back at Tana. He opened his mouth to respond, but then realized the comment was directed more at some of the others at him. He hadn't been with any of these people for any prior cultist raids or battles.

He shrugged. "I have not made a habit of anything yet personally, but I suppose the night is young."
Magdrak
 player, 131 posts
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 01:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak grunts at Tana's questions.  He responds as they walk along.  "I did not set out to kill cultists, mind you.  But they have been wreaking havoc in the area, not to mention recruiting and then killing friends of mine.  I finally figured they might need stoppin'."

He shrugs.  "But that's just my story.  Not really sure about the others."
DM
 GM, 1635 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 00:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group all returns to the southwest tower safely, with no other figures in sight anywhere. Rowan remains here with one unconscious guard, another tied up, and a locked coffer underneath a nearby hammock.


What now? Search room? Go somewhere else?
Durik
 player, 50 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 19:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Well things look somewhat secured here now, perhaps we search the place for clues? I mean these folks were up to no good-they may even have others held prisoner."
Morg Danforge
 player, 800 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 20:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Aye." Morg says to Durik.

He walks over to the tied up guard, "The bugbears and others in the northeast tower wouldn't co-operate, so they're dead now." he says as he wipes the blood off his greatsword. "If you answer our questions honestly and don't attack, I'll let you live."

"Any prisoners here, and if so, who are guarding them? Any magic swords recently rrived? Do you the genasi pirate Shoalah Quandehil, and/or Gah Shatterkeel?"

PS: I didn't mention it, but Morg will always collect his javelins if action economy isn't an issue, like after a battle not run away from.

22:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 13.  Trying to intimidate bound bandit during questioning.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:57, Wed 01 July 2020.

DM
 GM, 1636 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 22:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The guard gives Morg a level look, but doesn't test his bonds or otherwise give sign of discomfort.

"Aye, seems you've got control of the castle then. Ain't no pris'ners here 'cept me an old 'Holger there, seems to me. Shoalar be the pirate captain, an aye, I know 'im. An' Gar be the leader of this here group. We're all just good honest smugglers, no need to be goin' on about slaughtering us all."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 73 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 00:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Either uninterested in, or unconvinced by, the pirate's claims the bear that never really came into the room more than a snout's length to sniff at it a bit pulls her head back out and heads off in the direction of the nearest as yet unopened door.  Presumably to investigate it with a little bit more heavy knocking.
Tana Nim
 player, 47 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 01:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana was at last quiet, following the dwarves on softly booted feet rather than with her magic.
Morg Danforge
 player, 801 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 06:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"What's your name?" Morg asks the bandit.

While checking the coffer for traps and looking for other items in the tower, he says to the rest of the party, "My friend Zora was looking for this Gah Shatterkeel, and if we can capture him and the pirate captain alive, I'd lke to return them, and the rest of these bandits to the constable at Red Larch."
08:54, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20 with rolls of 16.  Investigate SW tower.
DM
 GM, 1638 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 00:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Name's Estebana." the bound guard spits.

In the north end of the tower, there is a chain mechanism that presumably raises or lowers the portcullis to the outside gate below, and another that controls the gate bars. The holes in the floor nearby look down in the passage below, and are presumably murder holes.

Aside from a few coins strewn about the southern chamber in the tower proper, the only thing of interest appears to be a locked wooden coffer beneath one of the hammocks.


@Gorm, where you headed specifically? The nearest doors might include a door into the main keep on the northwest, at the end of the western wall; doors leading into a long building in the interior of the keep grounds, on ground level; and the southeastern tower that a number of figures ran into as they were being attacked by Makari earlier.

Durik
 player, 51 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 00:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik keeps an eye on the court yard and on Morg as he questions the prisoners.
Makari
 player, 90 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 00:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari left the dwarves to their prisoner-taking and -talking. He stepped back outside and looked around. He stared at the beast. "Hey. Bear. Who ARE you? Why are you following us?"

He then gestured. "Also, there were some bandits in that tower, but maybe we should see if anyone's interested in helping us explore the main keep? I mean, the smart thing to do would be to keep going through all the towers and make they're cleared out first I suppose."
Tana Nim
 player, 48 posts
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 04:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana changed course, and moved close to Makari.  He had been the most talkative of the group, though they were all opening up.  She kept a wary eye on the bear, however, having just assisted in felling the boar.

"My magic is largely spent, but I can still summon the Lesser Banefire.  I will go with you."

She said as she draw closer.

"If we kill every bandit in this keep, whose does it become?"

Which was a little aggressive, as Morg had spoken of capturing them alive.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 74 posts
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 05:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The blood covered but mostly unharmed bear turns to look over its shoulder at the half elf for a few moments, then proceeds on to the entrance to the south eastern tower, the most likely place to find more of the humanoids that fled in the initial stages of the assault.
Morg Danforge
 player, 803 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 07:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Shall we check downstairs?" Morg says as he tries to open the coffer.
If coffer isn't open, and the key that was around Holger's neck doesn't open it, and Estebana doesn't offer a way to open it without breaking - then Morg  will use his crowbar to try to break coffer open: 25 brute Strength check.

09:16, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 15,20.  Strength check with advantage (crowbar) to try to open coffer.

Makari
 player, 91 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 17:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked at Tana and flashed her a smile as she spoke up and came with him. "Oh, now, don't sell yourself short! I know you still have some Eldritch Blasts left in you as well."

He gave a small start and looked at the bear. "Uh. No. You were following us for several days on our way here. I noticed you." He gave a small sigh that barely hinted at exasperation. "Don't try to riddle me or be mysterious, bear. What's your name? What's your interest in us and/or this keep?"
Durik
 player, 52 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 23:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Placing a calming hand on Makari; "For what its worth this bear has been quite useful to us on our travels-it may have its reasons for being here like us, could also be as simple as it is using us to find food."
DM
 GM, 1640 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 18:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg finds the coffer locked. The key around his neck fits perfectly into the keyhole however, and he opens the lid to reveal a pile of coins arranged around two tightly stopped bottles.


There is 150 sp and 40 gp in the coffer, and two unidentified potions.

Loot thread updated!

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:19, Sun 05 July 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 49 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 02:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana either ignored the short joke, or missed it entirely.

"Eldritch Blasts?"

She instead replied, her roughshod voice clearly questioning.

"Hmmph, that seems as good a name as any for the working."

Her eyes narrowed as she considered this information.

"That's what they are called then?  Yours are different though..."

She trailed off, clearly her mind off wandering along its own path.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 75 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 06:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Leaving the humanoids to talk shop the bear continues on its quest to find and apparently remove all the previous inhabitants of this particular fortress.
Morg Danforge
 player, 805 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 17:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg offers the 2 potions to the party to see if anyone can identify them, and divvies out all the coins in the room.
If the lock is removable, Morg will put in in his backpack
Makari
 player, 94 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 18:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari glanced at Tana. "Of course they look different." He shrugged. "Where I come from, all magic is studied extensively. Everything is researched, cataloged, named, indexed, etc."

However, he then noticed the bear walking away. "Bear! You just walk away? You didn't answer my questions, which were very basic questions." He moved around and tried to get in front of the bear. "What's your name? What's your interest in us and/or this keep?"
Durik
 player, 53 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 22:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Well perhaps the bear has the scent of something Makari.  You talk to it like you expect it to answer you.  I mean its a smart bear and all, but a talking bear....."  He says laughing a bit to himself.  "Ok...Ok, lets see where its off to.  Hey its kinda of like our leader..." Durik says following after Makari and Gorm.
DM
 GM, 1641 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 19:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group arrives outside of the southeast tower and finds the door open just a crack.


Let me know if anyone would like to try to identify the potions, and/or any of the items in the Loot thread that are unidentified.

Tana Nim
 player, 50 posts
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 19:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana raised a hand, gesturing for the others to wait.

"Just a moment."

She closed her eyes, and pushed her other hand forward.  The crack in the door widened by an inch, then stilled.
DM
 GM, 1642 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 12 Jul 2020
at 01:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Inside the tower, the unoccupied ground floor looks separated in half by curtains. Whoever had previously been hiding here has apparently slipped out in the intervening time.

Several straw pallets lie on the floor near the door on this side of the curtains, and a capstan stands against the north wall. The capstan has a heavy chain that disappears through a pipe to the northeast. The river laps just beneath the arrow slits of the tower.

On the far side of the ragged curtain, a leather saddlebag sits about various personal items, apparently abandoned. The upper floor above appears ruined, and similarly deserted.
Tana Nim
 player, 51 posts
Sun 12 Jul 2020
at 21:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"It appears empty, let's go."

Tana said, not explaining why she thought this, but apparently confident in her answer.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 76 posts
Sun 12 Jul 2020
at 21:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Giving the room a quick sniff the bear seems to agree with Tana's conclusion, and desire for haste.  Moving on to the next nearest unexplored section of the fort, no doubt intent on bashing down another door.
Durik
 player, 54 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 01:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik stays on the heels of Gorm-the bear had a nose for trouble and he wanted to be ready to help.
Magdrak
 player, 132 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 15:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak follows along quietly as the group checks the room.  Finally, he speaks.  "Did we get them all?  Most of them, at least."  He spins his battleaxe in his hands a few times, shrugs his shoulders, and continues on.  "What is left to check?"
Tana Nim
 player, 52 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 23:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana searched the saddle bag and the personal belongings.
DM
 GM, 1643 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 23:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana searches the leather saddlebag and finds a collection of coins and gems. The rest of the tower contains a folding cot, straw pallets, and various other odds and ends of little interest.


Tana finds 70 gp, 12 pp, and 6 agates in the bag.

Map updated!

Loot thread updated!

Makari
 player, 95 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 00:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari had half-glared, half-stared at the bear's retreating uncommunicative ass for a moment. Then he shook his head, and tried to let go of his frustration and just not trust the bear for now. He kept an eye out as Tana looted a bit more.

He then shrugged at Magdrak. "We should probably go check out the main building. I don't think any of us have been in there yet....but we should likely try to gather everyone up for that."
Tana Nim
 player, 53 posts
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 01:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"What exactly have you been doing with the spoils?  Do you have a system?"

Tana asked, walking up to Makari and offering him the gold that she had found.
Durik
 player, 55 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 11:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik continues to follow Gorm the Bear, to assist when he 'inevitably' finds trouble.
Morg Danforge
 player, 806 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 11:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ideally the stolen goods should go back to their owners, but we probably won't be able to find out who that was." Morg says to Tana. "Also, some of the authorities in the area are not particularly trustworthy. Maybe share it out and use it for good works?"
DM
 GM, 1645 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 19 Jul 2020
at 16:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group makes their way up the stairs away from the interior docks, past a single-story structure and towards the keep at the northwest corner of the castle grounds. The heavy double doors lay directly opposite a door into a structure flush against the northern exterior wall.


Map updated!

Tana Nim
 player, 55 posts
Mon 20 Jul 2020
at 01:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Anyone see a way through?"

Tana was not going to be the first to try the doors.
Morg Danforge
 player, 807 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 12:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I doubt this keep can keep out 3 dwarves, and uh, you wizards ofcourse, but how about we look in this smaller building first?" Morg says, pointing to the structure behind them.
y13 is a single door, ah10 double doors, and the blue parts windows?
DM
 GM, 1646 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 12:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
A chill breeze stirs the night air. Flies buzz around the heads of the group assembled in front of the keep's doors.


Morg is correct, AH10 & 11 are double doors and Y13 is a single door. The main keep's double doors are at V9 & 10.

Morg Danforge
 player, 808 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 17:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Maybe the longshanks can look thru its windows?" Morg says.
Durik
 player, 57 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 20:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Agreed lets bash it in.  If its locked then their is someone....or something on the inside.  Perhaps whoever is in charge of this place."
Tana Nim
 player, 56 posts
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 22:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana nodded, agreeing with the plan.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 78 posts
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 22:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With even the bear's effort to rush the process of clearing the fortress long since failed she simply waits behind the dwarfs as they open the door, likely planning to offer some assistance, but no longer with any urgency.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:52, Fri 24 July 2020.

DM
 GM, 1647 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 23 Jul 2020
at 15:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The heavy doors buckle and crash open as the bear bursts through them. The room inside appears to be the great hall of the keep. It is two stories high, with stone stairs on both sides of the room leading up to a stone balcony at the west end of the chamber. Two interior doors below the balcony open to the west. Arrow slits look out to the north and the south. The walls are painted in green and blue, decorated with tattered banners showing nautical designs.

Below the balcony at the west end of the room, a large wooden chair sits behind a wide table littered with papers and discarded plates. At the sound of Gorm's entrance, a woman behind the desk looks up from examining the papers, dropping them as if they were vipers.

A second table, this one long and furnished with benches, runs down the middle of the hall. Two more women flank the table, these holding large shields resembling giant crustaceans and vicious swords, with serrated blades. Those to move towards Gorm immediately, slicing at him. One blade scores a nasty gash across the bear's flank.


Map updated!

Rowan, Tana, Gorm, and Magdrak are up now.

Gorm's Call Lightning is expired, and Magdrak has 10 minutes left of Magic Weapon.

Round 1 So Far:

Reavers:

R1 attacks Gorm - MISS.
R2 attacks Gorm - HIT for 12 slashing.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Reavers22 
Rowan20Inspiration
Tana19Inspiration
Gorm15 
Magdrak13Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Urshnora10 
Makari7 
Morg3Inspiration
Durik2 

Tana Nim
 player, 57 posts
Thu 23 Jul 2020
at 22:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The smell of brimstone, undercut by the sweet succulence of charred flesh, filled the air as Tana raised her hand.

"Eldranis."

She uttered, her already cracked and dry voice now brimming with power as the twinned bolts of screaming red energy tore themselves free of the sizzling glyph at her palm.  They streaked through the open door, catching the Reaver who had struck at the bear in the shoulder.  One struck her mail and exploded in a shower of sparks, but the other found purchase in flesh and in bone.
Magdrak
 player, 133 posts
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 05:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak moves quickly into the building, tucking himself into a corner when he realizes that he won't be able to reach the enemies.  He scans his surroundings. "Festive room."



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to U11 (Movement)

Current HP: 27/51
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1649 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 00:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
One of Tana's blasts of power catches one of the nearby women, burning through her thin armor.

Behind, the woman behind the desk disappears.


Map updated!

Makari, Morg, and Durik are up now. Rowan and Gorm can still move act this turn.

Gorm's Call Lightning is expired, and Magdrak has 10 minutes left of Magic Weapon.

Round 1 So Far:

Reavers:

R1 attacks Gorm - MISS.
R2 attacks Gorm - HIT for 12 slashing.

Tana attacks R1 with Agonizing Blast - HIT once for 10 force.

Magdrak moves into the building.

Urshnora casts Invisibility on herself.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 79 posts
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 01:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the door down, and the trap sprung the Bear disengages from the fight, backing away and around the corner to clear space for more people of the smaller size to do their thing.
Durik
 player, 58 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 12:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik races into the room and finds the closest atrget and takes a solid swing at them.

OOC:  Move 25 to get to R1 or R2, whatever is easiest.

Hit AC 24 for 5 DMG

08:11, Today: Durik rolled 5 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 3.  DMG.
08:10, Today: Durik rolled 24 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 17.  attack.

Morg Danforge
 player, 810 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 14:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg runs inside and shouts "Lay down your weapons and surrender, or die like those in the other towers!" as he tries to knock out one of the nearest bandits.

Move: 25' to t9 facing R2 (or move to t10 facing R1 if R2 is down), if Gorm backed up to y10.

Action: knock-out (not lethal) attack on R2 (or R1 if R2 is out) with greatsword - critical fail.
Extra attack:  knock-out (not lethal) attack on R2 (or R1 if R2 is out) with greatsword - hits AC 21 for 15 slashing and with menacing attack she must make a Wisdom save vs DC 16 or be frightened (disadv. on ability checks and attack rolls while Morg's in her line of sight, and she can't willingly move closer to him) until end of Morg's next turn.

16:25, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1.  Knock-out (not lethal) attack on R2 (or R1 if R2 is out) with greatsword.
16:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 13.  Extra attack knock-out (not lethal) attack on R2 (or R1 if R2 is out) with greatsword.
16:27, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,2.  Non lethal slashing damage to R2 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
16:28, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2.  Reroll the 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
16:30, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d8 with rolls of 4.  Maneuver: menacing attack on R2(1) (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.

Makari
 player, 97 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 19:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari tried to see past the bulk of the bear at one of the enemies. He uttered the same incantation and gesture he'd been doing a lot of today thus far, and two more green fire-like beams sailed past the bear and in to the room. He then stepped back a bit to not be in direct sight of the two enemies.

OOC: GORM heal 3 hit points (I know it's not much).

Action: Eldritch Blasts at R1 (Hit AC 17 for 7 force damage, AC 20 for 15 force damage).
Movement: Move if necessary to see R1, if it's possible, then move back to V-8.
Bonus Action: Healing Light at Gorm.

13:13, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 17,7,20,15 using d20+8,1d10+5,d20+8,1d10+5 with rolls of 9,2,12,10.  Eldritch Blast vs R1.
13:14, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Healing Light at the barely-communicative bear.

DM
 GM, 1650 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 22:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
After seeing her companion fall under Makari's blasts of magic, the remaining woman shouts "Fine, take what yer wants," and drops her tooth-encrusted sword at the dwarves' feet.



Depending on what you all do next we may or may not be out of initiative.

Summary of Round 1:

Reavers:

R1 attacks Gorm - MISS.
R2 attacks Gorm - HIT for 12 slashing.

Rowan hangs out.

Tana attacks R1 with Agonizing Blast - HIT once for 10 force.

Gorm disengages and moves away.

Magdrak moves into the building.

Urshnora casts Invisibility on herself.

Makari uses Healing Light and heals Gorm 3 . He casts Agonizing Blast at R1 - HIT twice for 22 force. R1 is dead.

Morg moves into the building at attacks R2 - HIT once for 15 slashing. R2 fails save and is frightened of Morg until the end of his next turn.

Durik moves into the building and attacks R2 - HIT for 5 bludgeoning.

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Reavers22R2 frightened of Morg until EOMTN
Rowan20Inspiration
Tana19Inspiration
Gorm15 
Magdrak13Inspiration, Conc: Magic Weapon
Urshnora10 
Makari7 
Morg3Inspiration
Durik2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:24, Mon 03 Aug 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 812 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 07:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg picks up the sword, sheathes his own (he doesn't know about the invisible person), and says "Your scabbards and other weapons also. If you don't resist, you'll not be harmed further."

He walks over to the dead woman, removes all her weapons and scabbards, and asks "Are there any prisoners here?
 Where's the magic sword kept that recently arrived?
  Where's Shatterkeel?
   Where's the genasi pirate Quandehil?"

Edit: changes with 1 of the reavers being dead.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:17, Tue 04 Aug 2020.

Durik
 player, 59 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 12:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Catching his breath, Durik lowers his hammer and shield and waits for the Reavers reaction to Morg.
DM
 GM, 1652 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 20:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The remaining woman thrusts her odd shell-shaped shield at Morg, then shrugs at his mention of any additional weapons.
Magdrak
 player, 135 posts
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 02:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak walks around, poking the air with his battleaxe.  "There was someone else here when I came in.  Invisible now."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 80 posts
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 04:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Still outside the room the bear does something even more odd than ever before, it crouches its front limbs down a bit to lower and change the angle of its neck at which point a small wooden barrel with a lever on the side becomes visible.  Tapping the lever on the side with one impressively gentle paw a few times causes small perfectly round berries to roll out of the other end onto the ground.

Licking up the berries one at a time the bear mostly waits by the door, occasionally sniffing the air.
Makari
 player, 98 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 05:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari shook his head at the strange bear. He looked around slowly while Morg attempted to talk with one, or at least get information out of them. He navigated around the bear and stepped inside the building to get a better look around and see if there was anyone else lying in wait, or anything interesting.

23:31, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 24 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 18.  Perception.
Morg Danforge
 player, 813 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 08:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
At Mag's mention of someone becoming invisible, Morg moves to the southwestern stairs, trying to block any invisible people from ascending. "Invisible person, we are not here to kill or rob you. We're not.. well I'm not a member of any of the cults in the valley."

He motions with his head over to the papers on the table to the "wizards".

"The dwarves are taking back the Sumber hills, and traders are welcome here."

"If you're Quandehil,"
he says, looking at the crustaceans on the shields, "there may be a place for you on the river if you stop pirating."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:39, Tue 04 Aug 2020.

DM
 GM, 1654 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 17:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"What sword? And how do you know the name 'Shatterkeel'?" the woman replies.


There is no sign of the invisible person in the room.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:28, Thu 06 Aug 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 815 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 19:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"We're here to retrieve a magic sword, and making the wizards cast spells to find it will just aggravate them." Morg says.

"As for Shatterkeel, my friend Zora was looking for him - I can't remember his first name, just the very evocative last name."
Makari
 player, 99 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 23:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari didn't know about an invisible person. He also had no way to magically suss one out or anything. But he sometimes had good senses and awareness. He let Morg continue to speak out as if someone was there.

His eyes narrowed and he moved around the desk at the west end of the room to get a closer look at what he had seen.
Tana Nim
 player, 58 posts
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 03:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana stayed in the door, so that no invisible entity might slip past without pushing past her.  She was well versed in such tricks, and thus knew how to combat them.
Durik
 player, 60 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 13:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik backs himself up against a wall..preferably a corner.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 81 posts
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 16:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Content to wait outside the door the bear continues to lick the berries off the ground one at a time, far, far slower than should be possible or even reasonable if it were doing so for the purpose of food.  In that same period of time all the bleeding wounds have stopped leaking, some of the lines in the fur they describe even seem to be shrinking.
DM
 GM, 1656 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 21:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Gar Shatterkeel," the woman sneers at Morg. "An I don't bloody well know anything about no magic sword. Plenty of booty come through this office an' down to the Temple. If yer lookin' for somethin' maybe it'll be on Grimjaw's ledgers."


Makari sees a messy pile of papers and a few ink quills scattered about.

Makari
 player, 100 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 22:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned and barely restrained himself from making a small 'hmm' sort of noise. His eyes narrowed and he began to looked around more carefully and more fully, investigating to see if he could find the source of the liquid, or a wet invisible person.
Morg Danforge
 player, 817 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 08:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Are these Grimjaw's ledgers?" Morg says, pointing to the papers on the desk. "Or thru there?", pointing to the western doors.

"And where is Gah Shatterkeel?"
DM
 GM, 1657 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 15:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Aye, those are Grimjaw's ledgers. An' how should I know where Shatterkeel is, though like as not he's in the Temple," the woman replies, looking down briefly at her mention of the "temple."

Morg Danforge
 player, 818 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 17:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"So Grimjaw's the one who became invisible..." Morg says as he looks over the papers on the desk, concentrating on finding details of
Rowan's sword,
if the people here really are bandits,
the cults,
the lost delegation from Mirabar,
any clues of the dwarven stronghold.

19:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 17 using 1d20 with rolls of 17.  Investigate check looking thru Grimjaw's papers.
Tana Nim
 player, 59 posts
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 19:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Don't mind me, as I'm new here, but who is Grimjaw?"

Tana whispered so that her companions might hear her, but those they guarded would catch little meaning from her raspy tones.
Durik
 player, 61 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Mon 10 Aug 2020
at 13:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Shrugging his shoulders in an 'I don't know either', Durik turns to Morg-"A temple you say?  Perhaps we should keep investigating the Keep and find this temple or the invisible person you keep speaking of..." he finishes looking around
Makari
 player, 101 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 10 Aug 2020
at 17:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari slowed and then stopped. He turned back to Morg and the others, clapping his hands once. Then he pointed at the wall, and mouthed "SECRET. PASSAGE."

He then reached over to the latch and tried to open the secret door he'd found.
DM
 GM, 1659 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 11 Aug 2020
at 17:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg sifts through the disorganized mounds of paper strewn over the desk, some of which have fallen onto the stone floor.

Some sheets report on the activities of gangs of bandits and smugglers throughout the area. Others contain more routine notes about Rivergard's supplies, boat sailings, and guard schedules. Still others appear to be logbooks and manifests from plundered ships and caravans, marked up with vague locations in a messy scrawl. One sheet of stolen goods indicates a "wagonload of flour" was stolen "near b", and another that "40 silver was stolen from a traveler near W."

Two reports in particular catch Morg's eye. One is for a "heirloom sword", apparently delivered to "the hag in the CW Temple."

The other report notes caravan traffic in Red Larch. It catches Morg's eye because it is written with a strange mix of block letters and script. Partway down the page it describes the arrival of a number of individuals to town and their meeting at the Swinging Sword. The report clearly describes the presence of a drow, three half-elves, a dwarf, and a human who met in the inn's common room.

Makari pushes the secret door open easily, revealing an unlit spiral staircase leading down.
Morg Danforge
 player, 820 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Tue 11 Aug 2020
at 20:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg collects the writings as evidence and says to the group: "Aye, they're thieves."

He walks over to Rowan and hands the page about the sword to him, "CW Temple... CW...", then counting on his fingers "air, earth, fire, wa-, water cult!"

Seeing Makari's discovery, Morg says to Durik "Can we take a rest before we go check down there, which may be the temple? And wait for the wizard's invisibility to end? Also, anyone have rope to tie up the bandit?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:24, Tue 11 Aug 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 60 posts
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 02:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Still blocking the door, Tana pulled down her backpack and began unwinding a long length of hempen rope from it.
Durik
 player, 62 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 03:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Nodding in acknowledgment, Durik follows the others down the secret passageway.
Makari
 player, 102 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 16:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gently put out a hand to stop Durik as there seemed to be some confusion. "So...are we going forward or are we resting first? One dwarf says stay, one dwarf is going." He smiled slightly.

He gave a shrug. "I would be fine with taking a small breather, though we run the risk of letting them get away, or other persons in this building coming upon us since we haven't searched the entire place yet."
Durik
 player, 63 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Thu 13 Aug 2020
at 12:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Stopping at the doorway and turning around, "Aye I could use a short rest as well before we go on."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 82 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2020
at 15:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear finishes eating it's berries and comes back inside the outer room, settling down just inside the door to join the others in their rest.
Tana Nim
 player, 61 posts
Thu 13 Aug 2020
at 21:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana darted aside as the bear lumbered through, and then closed it behind the beast.  If she had anything to say about the matter, she kept it to herself.

"What would be the plan after we've rested then?"

She rasped, sitting down along the wall where she was out of the way.
Morg Danforge
 player, 822 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Fri 14 Aug 2020
at 07:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"After we've rested, shall we check those 2 doors first?" Morg says, pointing to the western doors, "Before we go down the secret spiral staircase?"

He hogties the bandit with Tana's rope, and then shows the rest of the party and looks thru the papers listing supplies and guard schedules.
Map: https://docs.google.com/presen...e=id.g8618a01c77_0_0

Do the papers with Rivergard's supplies indicate what's behind the 2 western doors, and in the towers and other buildings?
Do the guard schedules indicate how many guards there are in each building?

DM
 GM, 1661 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 14 Aug 2020
at 15:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The woman resignedly allows herself to be tied up.


It's hard to tell from the disorganized reports how many guards are in each building, though you do find a roster of names for the barracks that includes 16 names. There's no indication from the pages what is in the various buildings within Rivergard.

Makari
 player, 103 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 16 Aug 2020
at 05:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari thought about Morg's words for a moment, the suggested course of action. He glanced at the secret door and then closed it. He finally gave a small shrug. "I suppose we could do that, as much as I want to dive down in to the secret area." He sat down to the side of the secret door, cross-legged, to rest a bit.
Tana Nim
 player, 62 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 22:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Leave that open, if you would."

Tana rasped, pointing at the secret door.  Then she closed her eyes, settling down into some sort of reverie.
DM
 GM, 1663 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 20 Aug 2020
at 22:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group settles down in the common area as cool night breezes waft in through the narrow arrow slit windows. A heavy silence falls outside, undisturbed by the sounds of wildlife.

Malz slips through the open secret door and finds a cold stone spiral staircase leading down into darkness. At the bottom of the stairs, they find a chamber brightly lit with torches where a single boat bobs in an underground stream. The boat is tied to a simple metal ring set in the chamber's floor, and another ring is set into the floor six feet away. The stream flows from west to east, with darkness beckoning in both directions.

Tana sits with the potions the group found earlier, examining the liquid contained within, smelling the liquid, and finally taking a small sip of each. Morg turns the mermaid figure over and over in his hands.

After a few minutes, a timid face peeks over the edge of the balcony into the common room, then shrinks back away from the edge quietly.


Gorm obtains Inspiration for obtaining access to the secret entrance to the Keep!

Tana finds that the potions are wolfsbane (which will cure 1 person stricken with lycanthropy) and healing.

Morg doesn't find anything particularly remarkable about the mermaid figure, other than its 10gp value.

Feel free to roll any hit dice, other light activities you want to also do during the short rest, etc., with your next post(s).

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:25, Thu 20 Aug 2020.

Makari
 player, 104 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 04:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari flipped through a large ornate black book that he pulled from his pack. An owl flew in and landed on his shoulder once he had settled down in to a seated position. Makari's only reaction was to move his to one side, away from the owl, as it landed and got itself situated.

Near the end of the hour, as a precaution mostly, he once again cast a protection spell on himself.
Magdrak
 player, 137 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 06:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magrak sits down with his back against a wall, staring at the captive with an occasional glance toward the secret door.  He pulls a small bit of food out of his pack, chewing on it slowly as he watches.



OOC:

Move to S12 and sit down
Take Short Rest
Use 2d10 HD to restore 16 HP

00:18, Wed 19 Aug: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 9.  HD - Short Rest.
00:19, Wed 19 Aug: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 4 using 1d10+3 with rolls of 1.  HD - Short Rest.


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

Durik
 player, 65 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 12:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik finds a place to set his stuff down and after checking if anyone wants some healing, he grabs some of his trail rations and some water from his skin.

OOC:  SHORT REST Take 1D8 and restore 6 HP.

If anyone needs some healing let me know

Tana Nim
 player, 64 posts
Fri 21 Aug 2020
at 23:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Hmmm."

Tana contemplated.

"Were any of you bit by that Boar thing?  I think this will cure the curse which took it."

She rasped as she held up the potion bottle, pocketing the other one.

"I emerged from the fight unscathed."

She added to Durik's query, inspecting the hole in her armor that the quarrel had punched.  The flesh beneath was raw, but unharmed.
Morg Danforge
 player, 824 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Sat 22 Aug 2020
at 19:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"A wereboar?" Morg says to Tana, putting the mermaid figure on the table.
"No more eating boars then. It can't happen to chickens right?"
Tana Nim
 player, 65 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 03:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I'd never heard of anything of the sort. But between the Giant boar turning back into the form of... what was that, a dwarf?  Add this?"

She held up the vial.

"I mean, maybe they only come in wolves.  It's wolfsbane."

She shrugged.

"I'll admit I'd be curious to learn what lycanthropy feels like.  Not personally, as I wasn't bitten, but how would any of you who were even know that you needed this?"

She shook the vial, sloshing the contents around.

"If any of you who were want it, it's all yours.  But please, let me know if you feel anything."

She sounded excited at the prospect.
Magdrak
 player, 138 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 17:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak sniffs and grumbles.  "I got gored by that boar.  It felt all tingly and weird for a short time, but it passed.  I feel fine now; not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing."
Tana Nim
 player, 66 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 00:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Do you want to be our experiment then?"

The minuscule gnome asked inquiringly, raising an eyebrow beneath the long streaks of her tattoos.  Her raspy voice was bursting with anticipation at the idea, but that didn't stop her from losing focus trying to rally the group into action.

"And shall we get hunting?  Was it a bandit or a cultist you were after?  Or both?"

She cocked her head to the side, as if listening to something that only she could hear.

"Grimjaw."

She confirmed.
Makari
 player, 105 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 01:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari listened to the conversation going on around him about lycanthropy and the boar. He turned his head slightly to look directly at the bear. But then he addressed Tana, "Do were-creatures normally have telepathy? The bear spoke to me in my head, though only a very little and did not explain much. They said their name was Gorm."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:45, Tue 25 Aug 2020.

Durik
 player, 66 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 16:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Slapping Magdrak on the back; "A living experiment.  What say you?  I for one would keep you tied up on the next full moon till we know for sure." he finished with a deep laugh.

"To the basement then?  I think we have rested long enough.  Lets finish exploring this place and find wht other cluies we can muster."

DM
 GM, 1664 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 21:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The face at the balcony does not reappear, and the tied up guard sleeps fitfully.


I marked down that Tana took the potion of healing in the Loot thread, and removed the Reszur dagger from there as Morg currently has it - feel free to mark those down in your respective character sheets if you haven't already.

@Gorm, how many goodberries did you eat?

Anyone else want to do anything else/examine the other unidentified magic items before I queue up a post for you all descending the secret staircase?

Magdrak
 player, 139 posts
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 21:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak looks doubtfully at the potion.  "Not sure I like the idea of being an experiment for anything.  Besides, would be a waste of a potion if I do not actually require it.  Maybe I should hold on to it in case I need it.  But I agree that we should continue on."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 83 posts
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 23:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
When the others start to get up from their rest and discuss plans again the bear takes a few slow steps forward in Makari's direction, taps the lever on the side of the barrel under its neck again to drop a half dozen berries onto the ground before backing up and out of the way again.
Tana Nim
 player, 69 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 23:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ahh... we will just hope you're not infected then.  Excellent."

If anything, she sounded more pleased by that idea.

"Shall we continue our hunt?"

She did not appear to want to take the lead, though she did pause for a while to inspect the berries that the bear had left behind from its contraption.

"Huh, what do you reckon these are?"
Makari
 player, 106 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 29 Aug 2020
at 16:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked over at the bear slowly. "Um...thank you?" He looked at the berries and then at his allies. "The bear apparently wanted to share. They said the berries are for healing. Also that Wereboars are not telepathic."

He carefully scooped up the berries, waiting to see if anyone piped up about needing one. Otherwise he wrapped them and placed them in a pouch for safekeeping.
Morg Danforge
 player, 827 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Sat 29 Aug 2020
at 17:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ah, goodberries - I knew a firbolg who could make these." Morg says, eating some. "He was a druid, and could turn into a bird!"

"Shall we check the 2 doors here before we go down?" he says, putting his ear against the southern door.
Eat up to 3 goodberries if available.

19:12, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 18.  Perception check, listening for things behind the southern door.

Tana Nim
 player, 70 posts
Sat 29 Aug 2020
at 20:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Wereboars, of course!"

Tana croaked, slapping her hand to her forehead.

"A silly name, but it follows.  Yes, yes, the doors!

She added, not bothering to try and hide her eagerness.
DM
 GM, 1666 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 30 Aug 2020
at 13:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg hears nothing at the southern door.
Morg Danforge
 player, 829 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Sun 30 Aug 2020
at 15:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg puts his ear against the northern door.
17:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 12.  Perception check, listening for things behind the northern door.
Makari
 player, 107 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 31 Aug 2020
at 02:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gave a shrug about which doors to go through. He, personally, wanted to go through the secret door first, but he acquiesced to the group's wishes. He followed along behind Morg, and stayed back from the door he was looking to enter first. He got ready to unleash some more eldritch blasts if there was something hostile.
Durik
 player, 67 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 00:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I vote to check all the doors up here and make sure we leave nothing behind us before h=we head down stairs."
Magdrak
 player, 140 posts
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 04:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak rises to his feet and grunts, eyeing the secret door.  "I am fine with searching the doors here first."

He grasps his warhammer in his fist, and prepares to follow along to the first door.
Morg Danforge
 player, 830 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 08:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Melee up front, but leaving line-of-sight for the wizards?" Morg says.
Map: https://docs.google.com/presen...e=id.g8618a01c77_0_0

If there were sounds behind the northern door, Morg would've told the party, and waited for any plans in response; otherwise:

if the party agrees with the melee front-line idea, Morg will open the northern door, and rush in:

Movement: 25' from L6 towards any hostiles inside, leaving room for others to see and enter, unless stopped by traps.

Action: Ready non-lethal knock-out attack on closest hostile inside.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:24, Tue 01 Sept 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 71 posts
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 23:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana did not appear to take issue with being called a Wizard, taking up position behind Morg and waiting silently.
DM
 GM, 1667 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 15:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg bursts through the northern door, followed by the rest of the party.

Two large stone hearth on the north wall of this room hold kettles full of simmering stew. Washbasins and worktables with old, battered crockery stand in the middle of the room. Sacks, casks, and barrels are piled along the southern wall, and cheeses and smoked fish hang from the ceiling.

Five people with the look of common laborers about them huddle in the southwest corner of the room, staring in alarm at the sudden intrusion.


Map updated!

Morg Danforge
 player, 831 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 22:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Looking at the laborers, Morg puts a fore finger to his lips.

He then moves to the southern door, and waits to see if the rest of the party agree to going thru that door.
Tana Nim
 player, 72 posts
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 23:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana was beginning to weave a rune of power, but seeing that Morg was not charging the laborers, she ceased.  Looking almost embarrassed, she shuffled along, hustling to keep pace.
Magdrak
 player, 141 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 01:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak gives a curt nod as Morg passes over the apparent non-combatants, heading toward the remaining door.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:47, Wed 09 Sept 2020.

Makari
 player, 108 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 02:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari hesitated as Morg and the others began to move towards the next door.

He spoke quietly to the laborers, putting his hands out in a peaceful manner to indicate calm, "please do not panic. we mean you no harm so long as you do not attack us." he gestured towards the door that Morg was heading towards. "are there any more bandits that way?"
Durik
 player, 68 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 11:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following the others into the room; "Get out of here and return to your families if you know what is best for you."  Hammer at the ready Durik waits for the next door to open.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 84 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 17:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Squeezing through the door with an alarming amount of familiarity the bear doesn't even make the door frame creak as it inhales with a twisting motion that passes first shoulders then hips though one side at a time before inhaling again inside the room with barely a huff of rushed air.  That same significant sniff is apparently all that is needed to take in the huddled forms, and ignore them to focus again on the next door, sniffing at the air that seeps past it.
DM
 GM, 1668 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 02:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear crashes through the southern door, eliciting screams from three young human teenagers hiding behind dirty laundry and linens piled atop several wicker baskets. The room appears to be a plain dormitory, and features six bunk beds and a small wooden table and chairs, as well as two large laundry tubs.

Stepping away from the bear, one of the laborers in the kitchen replies to Makari with a sour expression. "No more bandits that way," he mutters. Two of his companions look uncertainly towards the door to the main hall, while the other two glare at the intruders.


Map updated!
Morg Danforge
 player, 832 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 07:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg rushes thru the southern door, but seeing the scared teenagers, relaxes and heads back towards the front room, "Not the temple, and these don't seem like cultists."

...

Back at the secret door, he says "If we go down, someone could put something on top of the entrance - do you have wizard magic that could get us out again?"
Magdrak
 player, 142 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 21:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak chuckles at Morg's question.  "Personally, I think the bear could take care of that door if someone tries to lock it on us.  Assuming, of course, that the thing is coming with us.  Anyone around here speak bear?"

He looks around with a grin on his face, only half expecting an answer.
Tana Nim
 player, 73 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 01:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Given that the bear can communicate to Makari telepathically, I'm pretty sure the Common tongue is fine."

Tana croaked.

"Which is good, as I haven't had a Tome of Spells of my own to learn such magics from in more years than I care to count.  At this point, I don't think I'd even know what do with it.  Times change, and so must we all.  If we need to get the door open, let the bear do it."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 85 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 02:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Although somewhat difficult to detect in a quadruped with a comparatively short neck the bear does manage to impart the impression of nodding in response to Magdrak's supposition about the door.  But turns to look at Tana, focusing intently for a few moments.
Morg Danforge
 player, 833 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 10:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks at the bear's ability to reach above its head, and also nods.

"The workers in those rooms will probably release the 3 bandits we've tied up. I'm voting that we knock this one" pointing to the hog-tied bandit that surrendered, "unconscious, and check all the buildings above ground before we go down. Or should we go down now?"
Durik
 player, 69 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 22:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Hammer at the ready; "We should press our adversaries and get down as soon as possible."

OOC:  I thought we have already searched the top level?
Makari
 player, 110 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 16 Sep 2020
at 05:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gave a small nod at the response he received. He supposed they were potentially killing the people's 'employers'. He frowned lightly as he looked around.

"Let's just go downstairs. I want to see if we can get those responsible for the banditry and find the sword or whatever Rowan is looking for." He shrugged. "Then we can either leave or figure out a next move at least, assuming we are all decide to stick together after this."

He headed back towards the secret door.
Durik
 player, 71 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Wed 16 Sep 2020
at 13:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ok downstairs it is then.  If their is anyone or anything down their they ave to know we are coming-perhaps one of our sneaky types can lead the way to clear out any traps.  I'll follow close behind in case it get physical."
Tana Nim
 player, 74 posts
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 00:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I mean..."

Tana did not sound particularly thrilled.

"... I could pull a veil over whoever went out in front, so no eles would see them."

Something in her voice had changed, it was very difficult to say what though.

OOC:  Insight check 23 or higher to know what changed.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:18, Thu 17 Sept 2020.

DM
 GM, 1672 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 01:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The workers shied back at the possibility of untying bandits. "No sirs," one of them says haltingly, "we'll be leaving as quick as we can, by your leave anyway?" The woman motions the others quickly to the door when nobody seems to bar their way, and they quickly head towards the large outer doors, giving the tied up guards a wide berth.

Entering the spiral staircase, the air immediately turns colder and wetter. A musty smell emanates from below.

At the bottom of the stairs, the group enters a small torchlit chamber open on one side, where a single boat bobs in an underground stream. The stream flows left to right from the group's perspective facing the water.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:22, Thu 17 Sept 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 836 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 03:32
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"[Language unknown:  P paarev ticsi Ntiwildin To a ingta her ortichate ekofhe'atai Oerine-ticarethi n ad ntlopr.]" Morg says to Durik and Magdrak. "[Language unknown:  Ev ilear lo mo ma ncenmi m a Era wi on p.]" he says, slapping Durik on the shoulder, as he heads down with the rest of the party.

At the bottom, Morg looks at the stonework of the torchlit chamber, and then looking at the stream, says "So this goes to the cave entrance we saw with the gate. Shall we investigate the stream's source?"

Can I give Morg's inspiration to Durik?

Stonecunning: does the chamber look dwarven made?

05:31, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 24 26 using 1d20+46 with rolls of 20.  Stonecunning check regarding origin of stonework of chamber.

Edit: stonecunning modifier should be +6

This message was last edited by the player at 03:36, Thu 17 Sept 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 143 posts
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 05:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak sniffs, responding to Morg.  [Language unknown:  "Nt diun, armo.  U e ine traen.  Moradin ndoer ardus alnc itsan thehasnte aiusal st di hat nd os.  Evefi Valkauna anrat hori ame ieeeek dimo lolero.  Ore e ilsan aveoultha red illfi sonomekor almo ichhi mosest i red vorndeoreove.  Admala m ateee ect th?  Ouilne to atunon ic ss tinhatntiati onpl tioev ontrar, korch pl li toloil p k tra ica..."]

He frowns and goes silent after this diatribe.
Morg Danforge
 player, 837 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 06:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Marthammor Duin has definitely looked after me, especially when I've had too much too drink; waking up in interesting places!" Morg says, smiling.

"I've traveled so much I haven't seen my clan in years."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:25, Thu 17 Sept 2020.

DM
 GM, 1673 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 01:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg examines the stonework in the damp chamber.


You can certainly give Durik Inspiration! Consider it transferred.

Morg is certain the stonework is not dwarven work, and what's more it is much more recent construction than ancient Tyar-Besil. It looks to be human work, about as old as the crumbling stone construction of Rivergard Keep above.

Tana Nim
 player, 75 posts
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 01:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Shall we then?"

Tana suggested.
Makari
 player, 111 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 01:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari summoned his owl to him as he carefully began stepping down the spiral staircase. He gave a small shiver at the cold.

He nodded at Morg about investigating away from what they knew, the stream's source.

He paid little mind to the dwarves when they started talking to one another, once he realized that they were trying to keep the conversation private by speaking in their own tongue instead of Common - aside from raising one eyebrow at them with a 'really?' sort of look.

Then he turned and started walking along with the others when they were ready.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 86 posts
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 02:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Clearly not particularly inclined to conversation, even having proven it can, the bear just lets all the little people go down the stairs first before effectively blocking their retreat by filling up the entire staircase as it squeezes enough to push through the passage, likely cleaning a good amount of dust of both walls at the same time.
Tana Nim
 player, 76 posts
Sun 20 Sep 2020
at 19:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Assuming we have cleared this place out, and it seems we have.  What do we do next?"

Tana asked.

"Are you planning on setting up shop here, or is this just a stop on the path?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 838 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Mon 21 Sep 2020
at 08:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"There are 2 more buildings and 2 tower floors uptop we haven't checked, but I'd also like to find the south gate of the old dwarven stronghold, which I think may be upstream." Morg says.
Tana Nim
 player, 77 posts
Tue 22 Sep 2020
at 02:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Ah, I'm sorry, I get so turned around up here.  Let's try the next building then."

Tana ducked their head, and did not raise it.
Durik
 player, 72 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Tue 22 Sep 2020
at 12:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Off we go then.  It would be nice to find some remnenets of that old Dwarf hold."
DM
 GM, 1678 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 23:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group crowds into the small boat, awkwardly stashing their gear in their laps and in the nooks and crannies of the boat's keel. The dark inky water flows smoothly by, soft splashing drowning out the guttering torches from around the chamber.


Someone casting light - on what?

Who has the oars?

Anything else before you start rowing upstream?

Makari
 player, 113 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 00:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari got in to the boat, at the back, letting the stronger and more able dwarves take up the oars. He was only a little used to being in water, instead of the air. He held on to the side of the boat a bit. Then he turned to look back at the bear with a wary look. Surely the bear wouldn't try to join them in the boat.
Tana Nim
 player, 79 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 01:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Being a Deep Gnome meant she wasn't much use on the oars, but she also didn't take up much space.  She moved to the prow of the vessel, climbing up as high as she could without risking falling overboard.
Morg Danforge
 player, 844 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 06:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Can someone cast a light for our druid bear? Either on its barrel, or" Morg says, taking a bell off a piece of string, "this string?" which he ties and offers towards the bear's head.

He then takes one of the oars, ready to travel upstream when the rest are settled.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 89 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 08:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Stopping at the edge of the little dock the bear takes one look at the similarly little boat and shakes its head.
Makari
 player, 115 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 18:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari turned towards the bear after Morg had spoken, and looked. "I can." He was just about to begin casting the minor spell when he stopped moving. His head tilted to one side.

He turned back around in his seat, facing forward as the boat would move once more. "They said that light would not be required, and that they will follow once we are underway."
Magdrak
 player, 144 posts
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 00:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak finally lets go of his spell concentration, sitting himself at one of the oars with his battleaxe hooked back on his belt.  "I guess one of these is for me.  Who is in charge of steering this crate?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 845 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 09:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Huh... maybe our bear friend isn't a druid then." Morg says.

He turns to Tana, "Can you navigate for us?" and slowly starts rowing.
Tana Nim
 player, 80 posts
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 17:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana nodded.

"My people have strong night eyes."
DM
 GM, 1679 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 23:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group settles into the boat and the bear splashes into the steam, slowly padding its way against the current of the cold water. Looking down, the bear notices a number of dark shapes in the water, slowly swimming for the surface.

A distinct scraping noise is audible coming from beneath the boat.
Morg Danforge
 player, 846 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 07:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Hearing the scraping, Morg shouts to Magdrak, "Lets try to get back to the riverbank." He reverses the oar, and tries to row back.
Athletics check 16, or
just Strength check 8 13.

09:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 8.  Athletics (or just Strength) check to row back to riverbank.


Correction: fixed "just Strength check" - if not Athletics.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Sat 03 Oct 2020.

Magdrak
 player, 145 posts
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 23:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak grunts and nods in agreement, attempting to redirect to the land.



OOC:

Athletics Check: 21

19:54, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 21 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 14.  Athletics Check.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 90 posts
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 00:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the boat slows down and or begins to reverse course the bear ducks underwater for the few moments it will take to pass overhead, inspecting and or engaging whatever it is that has come out to play.
Tana Nim
 player, 81 posts
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 01:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I can always give us a bird's eye"

Tana whispered, pointing up towards the sky.
DM
 GM, 1680 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 02:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg and Magdrak leap back out of the boat into the room fronting the river while the boat rocks violently from some unseen force beneath it.






Map updated!


Everyone but Gorm is up now (the bear took her turn beneath the boat). Note that technically Tana's turn occurs before the - whatever they are.


Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration
???21 
Durik16Inspiration
Magdrak15Inspiration
Morg13 
Makari12 
Gorm4Inspiration

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Thu 08 Oct 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 82 posts
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 04:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The words had barely left Tana's mouth when the boat began to rock.  She ripped a black raven's feather from her belt pouch and clenched it in her right fist.  There was a smell vaguely similar to burnt pork, and between clenched teeth she muttered something that sounded like a curse between her teeth.  Three brilliant red runes burst into flame in the air about her fist, spinning in a tight orbit around it before being pulled into her.  Red lightning crackled over her body, sending her into convulsions.  Then, with an audible thump, arcane power rippled across her body.  Her eyes opened wide, and with a whisper of wind she went soaring up into the sky.
Makari
 player, 116 posts
 AC 16 HP 38/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 00:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gripped the edges of the boat tightly as something began to make its presence known in the water and under the boat. He was not the world's best nor worst swimmer....but trying to swim while something was eating you was not an experience he desired.

As soon as the boat was back to the bank, he carefully but quickly exited the boat and got away from the water's edge before turning back to look to see what might have been there...and to make sure Gorm was alright.
Durik
 player, 73 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 43/48
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 13:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik jumps out of the boat as well, shield up and hammer ready to strike at whatever emerges from the water.
Morg Danforge
 player, 848 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 07:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tries to pull the boat out of the water.
Athletics check 11, or
just Strength check 8.

09:14, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Athletics (or just Strength [-3]) check to pull the boat out of the water.

DM
 GM, 1681 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 01:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg and Magdrak attempt to pull the boat onto the land, and manage to get the port side lodged onto the stone embankment.

Just then several forms explode out of the water, grasping and clawing their way out of the water. Their pale flesh dripping with water, they come for the former passengers of the boat with slack expressions and glowing red eyes.



Map updated!


Everyone is up now. Note that technically Tana's turn occurs before the - whatever they are.

Summary of Round 1:

Tana casts Fly and moves straight up.

??? attempt to flip the boat.

Durik leaves the boat.

Magdrak assists Morg with the boat.

Morg tries to pull the boat out of the water.

Makari leaves the boat.

Gorm attacks G1 - HIT twice for 21 total.


Round 2 So Far:

G1 attacks Gorm with its claws - MISS.

G2 moves onto shore and attacks Morg with its claws - MISS.

G3 moves onto shore and attacks Makari with its claws - HIT for 10 slashing . Makari must make a DC10 Con save or be paralyzed for 1 minute, or save at the end of a subsequent turn.

G4 moves onto shore and attacks Durik with its claws - MISS

G5 attacks Gorm with its claws - HIT for 6 slashing . Gorm must make a DC10 Con save or be paralyzed for 1 minute, or save at the end of a subsequent turn.

G6 moves onto shore and attacks Durik with its claws - HIT for 6 slashing . Durik must make a DC10 Con save or be paralyzed for 1 minute, or save at the end of a subsequent turn.

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration
???21 
Durik16Inspiration
Magdrak15Inspiration
Morg13 
Makari12 
Gorm4Inspiration

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:38, Thu 08 Oct 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 83 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 01:57
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
High up in the sky, Tana scanned the battle unfolding below and looked for a clean shot.  She didn't find it, so she called on the lesser glyphs and called profane power to her.  The sigil in her palm burned as glowing crimson power burned its way through her veins, so bright that it could briefly be seen in the skin in her forearm.  With a scream of...

"Eldranis!"

... she hurled two buzzing motes of power at the creature that Gorm had struck.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 91 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Surfacing mid fight with the gray humanoids the bear takes a breath, unlike the gray things that seem perfectly comfortable underwater, but keeps attacking the same one.  Mauling it with claws and teeth, although not biting down hard enough to consume pieces of their disgusting flesh.
Makari
 player, 117 posts
 AC 16 HP 28/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 05:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari let out a loud grunt of pain as he was struck. He had been trying to get away from the water's edge, but hadn't gotten far enough away. He stumbled a step, staggering back away from the creature after Morg's distracting attack. He muttered a quick, "Thank you!" to the dwarf.

He winced but poured a bit of his magic out in a pair of golden rays, uttering the magic phrase "Eldritch Blast!" The rays shot forward, one of which was much better aimed than the other.

08:48, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  Constitution save.

Reaction: Movement away (15ft) from creature provided by Morg.
Movement: Move up to 30ft back from creatures, if there is room.
Action: Cast Eldritch Blast on the creature that attacked me (Hit AC 14 for 10 and AC 25 for 11).
Bonus Action: Use Healing Light on self (Heal 4 hit points).

23:19, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 14,10 using d20+8,d8+5 with rolls of 6,5.  Eldritch Blast vs Underwater Ahole.
18:04, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 25,11 using d20+8,d8+5 with rolls of 17,6.  2nd Eldritch Blast.
18:08, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Healing Light on self.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:11, Fri 09 Oct 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 849 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp1
 fighter5 BM sw1 as1 4sd8
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 09:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg slashes and shouts at the creature next to Makari, distracting it enough to allow Makari to move away.
Move: 5' [south] to be next to G3.

Interaction: take out greatsword.

Action: attack G3 with greatsword - hits AC 15 for 12 (5+4+3) slashing damage.
The maneuvering attack only happens if there's a hit, so if the 1st attack missed, then the maneuvering attack applies to the extra attack if that hits, so I'm adding the 8 damage to the extra attack since that's more likely to hit:
Extra attack: attack G3 with greatsword - hits AC 25 for 19 (5+1+5+8) slashing damage.

Makari, if you succeeded on the DC10 Con save, you can use your reaction if you want to move up to half your speed without provoking opportunity attacks from G3. Since Morg's before Makari in initiative, you might use your Eldritch blasts instead of the club attack, tho you should probably use your d20 roll of 6 as the 1st EB attack roll).

Action surge:
Action: attack G3 with greatsword - hits AC 27 for 12 slashing damage.
Extra attack: attack G3 (or G2 if G3 is down) with greatsword - critical hit for 22 slashing damage.

10:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 7.  Attack G3 with greatsword.
10:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Maneuver: maneuvering attack allowing Makari to use his reaction to move.
10:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 2,2.  Slashing damage to G3 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
10:59, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Reroll first 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:00, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll second 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:00, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Extra attack G3 with greatsword.
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 7 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 1,1.  Slashing damage to G3 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  Reroll first 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
11:01, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5.  Reroll second 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.

11:28, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  Action surge: Attack G3 with greatsword.
11:28, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,4.  Slashing damage to G3 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
11:29, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 28 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 20.  Attack G3 (or G2) with greatsword.
11:29, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 4d6+5 with rolls of 3,2,6,6.  Crit Slashing damage to G3 (or G2) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).

This message was last edited by the player at 09:32, Thu 08 Oct 2020.

Durik
 player, 74 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 12:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik is surprised as these creatures emerge from the water as one of them claws at him.

OOC:  Failed my save.  How does a Dwarf fail a CON save...lol

08:02, Today: Secret Roll: Durik rolled 7 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 5.  CON Save DC 10.

DM
 GM, 1683 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 10 Oct 2020
at 18:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Three of the dripping wet creatures fall to their injuries, though the other three continue advancing. Their injuries don't seem to slow them, nor does blood escape from their wounds as it would for living foes.


Map updated!


Everyone is up now. Note that technically Tana's turn occurs before the ghouls. Gorm and Durik have saves to make again (see below).

Summary of Round 2:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at G1 - HIT for 4 force. G1 is dead. Second blast HITS G5 for 4 force.

Ghouls
G2 moves onto shore and attacks Morg with its claws - MISS.

G3 moves onto shore and attacks Makari with its claws - HIT for 10 slashing. Makari makes Con save.

G4 moves onto shore and attacks Durik with its claws - MISS.

G5 attacks Gorm with its claws - HIT for 6 slashing. Gorm makes Con save.

G6 moves onto shore and attacks Durik with its claws - HIT for 6 slashing. Durik FAILS Con save and is paralyzed for 1 minute (or until he can make the save at the end of subsequent turns).


Durik is paralyzed, but then makes the Con save at the end of his turn and is no longer paralyzed.

Magdrak hangs out.

Morg moves and attacks G3 twice with Maneuvering Attack - HIT twice for 31 slashing. G3 is dead. Morg uses Action Surge to attack G2 - HIT twice (one CRIT) for 34 slashing. G2 is dead.

Makari moves away and casts Agonizing Blast at G6 - HIT twice for 21 force. He uses Healing Light and heals 4 hp .

Gorm attacks G5 HIT twice for 17 damage.


Round 3 So Far:

Ghouls
G4 attacks Durik - HIT for 10 slashing . Durik must make a DC10 Con save or be paralyzed for 1 minute, or save at the end of a subsequent turn.

G5 attacks Gorm - HIT for 7 slashing . Gorm must make a DC10 Con save or be paralyzed for 1 minute, or save at the end of a subsequent turn.

G6 attacks Durik - MISS.

Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Tana23Inspiration
Ghouls21 
Durik16Inspiration
Magdrak15Inspiration
Morg13 
Makari12 
Gorm4Inspiration

Morg Danforge
 player, 851 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Sat 10 Oct 2020
at 19:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Seeing Durik stunned by the foul creature, Morg looks at the fight in the water and shouts "Get out of the water - these things can stun you which could drown you!

He then runs over to Durik and slashes at more of the wet things.
Move: 15' [ESE] to be next to G6, and 10' more [N] to G4 if G6 is down.

Action: attack G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) with greatsword - hits AC 12 for 13 slashing damage.
Extra attack: attack G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) with greatsword - hits AC 11 for 15 slashing damage.

21:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 4.  Attack G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) with greatsword.
21:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,1.  Slashing damage to G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
21:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll the 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.

21:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 3.  Extra attack G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) with greatsword.
21:43, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,5.  Slashing damage to G6 (or G4, if G6 is down) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).

Gorm Hareth
 player, 92 posts
Sat 10 Oct 2020
at 22:00
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Frothing the water, and starting to turn it a little red the bear none the less rips into the other grey and rotting humanoid that has been clawing at it, removing large chunks once again from the oddly tough beast, the bear does not make any effort to climb out of the water, instead seems focused on dislodging a piece of rancid flesh from between her teeth.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:56, Sun 11 Oct 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 84 posts
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 00:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Arcane runes danced about Tana as she hovered high over the battlefield, well outside the range of the creatures lumbering about below.  She had not real interest in getting any closer than that, as it looked like her new companions were having a tough time of it.  She let a shudder pass through her system as she thought about what those claws might do to her, and had one of the Dwarves stopped moving?  She was pretty sure Durik hadn't swung his blade, though not so sure that she would have put coin on it.  Instead, she just gritted her teeth and barked out another curse, sending two more bright streaks of angry power towards the most injured looking foe.
Makari
 player, 118 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 17:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari saw that Durik was being ganged up kind of bad, first one creature, then another took it's place! He frowned and tried to use the anger that brewed up in him, to release it out of him. He made a gesture, uttered the phrase, and two more bolts of eldritch energy sprang forth and headed towards the water creature.

His other hand came up and a softer, more silver-colored beam came out as well, this one heading for Durik and offering a bit of healing.

Action: Eldritch Blast G6 or one that's still up (AC 24 for 6  and AC 27 for 12)
Bonus Action: Healing Light on Durik to heal  hit points.

11:24, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 24,6,27,12 using d20+8,d8+5,d20+8,d8+5 with rolls of 16,1,19,7.  Eldritch Blasts vs G6 again (or whoever's standing after Morg's done with them).
11:25, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Healing Light on Durik.

Durik
 player, 76 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 31/48
Mon 12 Oct 2020
at 11:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Feeling returning to his limbs Durik raises his hammer at the nearest creature; "The All father smite you returning you to your undeath." The Hammer glows a bright light and then it strikes true on the nearest creature.



OOC:
Cast Searing smite on the hammer.  Hit AC 25 for 3 DMG and 2 Fire DMG

07:51, Today: Secret Roll: Durik rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2.  Fire dmg.
07:51, Today: Secret Roll: Durik rolled 3 using 1d8+2 with rolls of 1.  dmg.
07:50, Today: Secret Roll: Durik rolled 25 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 20.  attack.
07:47, Today: Durik rolled 11 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 9.  CON Save DC 10.


Think my HPs are right.  Dropped to 27 and then upped them to 31 based upon Makari's post

Magdrak
 player, 147 posts
Mon 12 Oct 2020
at 18:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak is stunned for a moment when the creatures appear from beneath the water.  He shakes it off, and steps forward to attack.  He spits a word at them as if in the form of a curse.  "Undead!"  Moving next to Durik, he swings he axe twice in succession, scoring once.  He channels divine fury into his strike, blasting the ghoul with holy power.



OOC:

Move 5' East (Movement)
Attack G4 x2 (Action)
Hit AC 20 for 11 Slashing
Divine Smite for 13 Radiant
Miss AC 9

14:39, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 20 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 13.  Attack with Battleaxe.
14:40, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 11 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 7. (Slashing)
14:41, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 13 using 3d8 with rolls of 7,5,1.  Divine Smite Damage. (Radiant)
14:40, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 2.


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

This message was last edited by the player at 12:00, Thu 15 Oct 2020.

DM
 GM, 1684 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 01:28
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The flying gnome continues to barrage the creatures with blasts of magical power from above. Durik and Gorm take wounds from the raking claws of the ravening creatures, yet the dwarves cut down two of them, one smoldering into a pile of ash.

Makari takes out the last of them, its already-dead form crumpling o the stone floor.

The motion of the water gently rocks the rowboat, loosely caught on the lip of stone, and the lapping water echoes off the damp chamber walls.


And we're out of initiative! Loot thread updated with XP!

Where to now?

Summary of Round 3:

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at G4 - HIT for 5 force.

Ghouls
G4 attacks Durik - HIT for 10 slashing. Durik makes a Con save.

G5 attacks Gorm - HIT for 7 slashing. Gorm makes a Con save.

G6 attacks Durik - MISS.


Durik attacks G4 with Searing Smite - CRIT for 8 bludgeoning & 2 fire (total 10). G4 is on fire and takes 1d6 fire damage at the start of its turn until making a Con save.

Magdrak moves and attacks G4 - HIT for 11 slashing. G4 is dead. (you can retain your Divine Smite if you want).

Morg moves and attacks G6 - HIT for 13 slashing. G6 is dead.

Makari casts Agonizing blast at G5 - HIT for 18 force. G5 is dead. Makari uses Healing Light on Durik - Durik heals 4 hp .


Gorm Hareth
 player, 93 posts
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 05:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Either stunned or just resting after the fight the bear drifts slowly against the side of the river, like the boat, for a few seconds before snapping back into action and quickly paddling back up to where the dock is, once again ducking underwater briefly near the boat.
Morg Danforge
 player, 853 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 09:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg walks over to the bear, and says "Are you all right, uh...", looking at Makari "Does it have a name?" Again at the bear, "If you are, could you swim out ahead and keep a lookout underwater?"

"I don't like murky water, and especially not when there are things in it that can stun you to drown you. I think we should tie ourselves to the boat. And each other. And the oars."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:43, Wed 14 Oct 2020.

Tana Nim
 player, 85 posts
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 01:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana dropped a good thirty feet, but stayed well over the boat and the water.  The triplicate of strange ruins that glowed about her held her aloft, orbiting in strange geometries.

"I think I'll stay up here for as long as I can."

She croaked, her voice just barely being heard over the light breeze.  Her right hand still smoked, but the angry red sigil was rapidly fading.

"No sense wasting perfectly good magic."
Morg Danforge
 player, 854 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 08:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks up at Tana's crimson burning forearm, "Are you all right? Are you one of them half-angels I've heard of that can light up like a torch and burn themselves and those around them?"
Durik
 player, 77 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 22:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Feeling completely returning to Durik he stands back up; "My old bones are already aching let alone being paralyzed.  I just need a moment to catch my breath before we continue."  Grabbing his holy symbol he mutters a small prayer; "Moradin renew my strength"



OOC:  18:42, Today: Durik rolled 6 using 1d8+5 with rolls of 1.  Cure.
Tana Nim
 player, 86 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 01:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana looked at her own forearm in surprise.

"Oh.  This?"

Her cracked voice sounded, if anything, embarrassed.

"I'm still not used to it, and I won't pretend it doesn't burn like a sonofabitch, but it's mostly cosmetic."

She held up her hand, the smoke fading.

"I mean, it's not.  It's real.  It just... kinda heals itself. Something about the way the energy plays out. You get used to it."

She shrugged, clearly uncomfortable with the attention.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Thu 15 Oct 2020.

Makari
 player, 119 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 04:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari let out a breath when their adversaries stopped moving. They were disgusting looking! And paralysis? No thank you! He craved freedom, even of movement, far too much for that!!

He glanced at Morg, then at the bear, and back. "Their name is Gorm." He frowned and looked at the bear. "Are you alright? Do you need healing?" He glanced at the everyone else as well. "I only get so many a day, but I still have several healing lights available."

He turned to look at Tana as she spoke about the....runes? sigils? brands?...on her arms. It was curious. She seemed to be something both similar and very different from himself. He wondered where her power came from, but thought it might be rude and inappropriate to discuss at the moment and present company.

He gave the boat a baleful look. "So. We're going back." He shook his head at Morg but didn't take his eyes off the water. "No. Thank you. I want to be able to get away if I have to," he said in regards to being tied off. He knew it wasn't the most logical choice, refusing the rope safety.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 94 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 18:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Clearly a bit wounded the bear does not seem to be missing any important bits, or have suffered any reduction in capability from the fight, easily treading water while the others discuss their options, or until the next wave of underwater creatures detects the scent of blood and comes to investigate.
Morg Danforge
 player, 855 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 12:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks at the bear, and after a short pause his face lights up as he says out loud "Gorm - those are excellent sounding letters for a name. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

He starts tying himself and an oar loosely to the boat.
Tana Nim
 player, 87 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2020
at 18:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Tana Nim, of the Second Calling."

The strange gnome whispered, having drifted low enough that she could be heard but not so low that anything could come out of the water and grab her.
Durik
 player, 78 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 16:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Durik finishes healing himself and then boards the boat and looks for an oar to take up.
DM
 GM, 1685 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 00:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group paddles ahead against the slow current. The light dims behind as the torches recede behind the boat. The contours of the wall abruptly change from the relatively crude construction of the past to a more ancient style favored by dwarves. The age of the stone is also apparent, its rough edges worn by the passage of water over long years.

Ahead, firelight shines from a large cavern. The stream ahead appears to open into a large underground lake.
Morg Danforge
 player, 856 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 15:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks at Tana, and tries to mime asking if there's somewhere to moor up ahead near the firelight.
Tana Nim
 player, 88 posts
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 02:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana nodded and whispered.

"Give me a moment."

Then she closed her eyes, hovering in place low and over the water.
Makari
 player, 120 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 04:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari sat at the back of the boat, opposite ends from Tam. Not that he disliked her or was frightened of her or anything like that. He just didn't want to be at the front of the boat in case something happened. He wanted the solid dwarves in the middle with the lighter folk like he and Tam on the ends to balance out - though he was far heavier than she was so it wasn't a true balance.

He glanced over the owl perched on his shoulder. Very quietly he asked, "Would you like me to send Moonclaw up ahead to investigate?"
DM
 GM, 1686 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 21:45
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana's eyes remain closed, concentrating.
Tana Nim
 player, 89 posts
Sat 24 Oct 2020
at 03:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana's eyes snapped open, and she drifted lower.

"There is a small dock within the cavern, and a skiff tied up there.  At least five people are standing next to it on the dock.  Mostly talking.  I say at least five, because there is something in the water.  I don't know what."

She whispered, her voice hoarse.

"I don't know who they are."
Morg Danforge
 player, 857 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Sat 24 Oct 2020
at 09:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg turns to Makari and says "The river's noise should mask your owl's flying, so more reconnaissance would be good."

After Tana's report he says "Should we row up to them as if we belong here? They'll probably think we're from the keep."
Tana Nim
 player, 90 posts
Sat 24 Oct 2020
at 22:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I doubt the owl will see anything I didn't."

She grumbled, drifting lower still.

"Who do you think they are?  I worry about whatever is in the water if we just row up, but I know of no other way to approach.
Durik
 player, 79 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Sun 25 Oct 2020
at 20:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Listing intently then adding; 'Perhaps a three way attack.  Gorm can float ahead in the water-should be able to get there quietly.  Nim can fly in and then as they are distracted the rest of us can arrive by the boat.  Otherwise they will probably hear us before we can get to them."
Makari
 player, 121 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 01:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari listened to what Tana described intently. He shook his hand and waved a hand regarding still sending his owl. "Tana saw what we needed to see."

He frowned slightly. Then he shrugged. "We could attempt to be stealthy, but a boat is a boat and likely to be seen at some point." He gave a shrug.
Morg Danforge
 player, 858 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 09:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tries to slow his rowing to prevent the boat from going upstream towards the firelight. Mostly to Makari he whispers "Can you hear what they're talking about thru Moonclaw's ears? They're probably bandits, but they might not be - in which case we shouldn't attack."
Tana Nim
 player, 91 posts
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 16:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana made a face at the idea of being the first to go in.

"Perhaps you should row in, and I'll fly in just behind.  If they start shooting at you as you draw near, I can burn them out?"

They had witnessed the devastating power of her called fire when they were at the keep.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 95 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 01:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While those above the water discuss the details of the plan the stealth bear under the water just keeps on swimming, slowly and carefully approaching the dock as if bears were a perfectly normal thing to find swimming in caves, little more than a nose and eyes sticking above the water line.
DM
 GM, 1689 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 31 Oct 2020
at 19:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the others discuss their plans, Gorm swims into the large cavern, the sound of her movement quiet against the watery echos of the massive space. Ahead she spies a group of figures standing on a stone quay to the right of the flowing water. A small skiff is moored to the quay, and a torch burns in a bronze sconce by the tunnel mouth.

A canal leads to the north beyond the boat, and the lake continues west into darkness.

One of the figures, a leather-clad woman idly spinning a barnacle-encrusted shield on her arm, points into the water. "We expectin' any wildlife Eyon?" she says as she watches the submerged bear approach.


New Map!

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:23, Sat 31 Oct 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 860 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Sun 1 Nov 2020
at 20:36
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg starts rowing again, trying to look friendly and like he belongs there.
Tana Nim
 player, 94 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 01:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Tana stayed about twenty feet behind the boat, and fifteen fight above the water.  She had no desire to learn what had been bubbling about there, or to be spotted first.
Magdrak
 player, 149 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 05:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak keeps his hand on his weapon while he sits back in the boat, looking ahead while the others row.  He mutters, hopefully soft enough to only be heard by the others in close proximity.  "Wonder if they will take us for some of the group from the keep?"
Durik
 player, 82 posts
 Dwarf Cleric of the Forge
 AC: (18) 19, HP: 37/48
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 13:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
'Perhaps....perhaps.  My gut tells me that this will come down to blows.  It always does...."  Durik mutters half in response to Magdrak and half to himself.  He continue to row as fast as he can to help close the distance.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:27, Mon 02 Nov 2020.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 97 posts
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 17:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Requiring no additional effort to look like a normal bear, tired, wounded, and likely even desperate, Gorm swims directly up to the side of the tiny skiff and attempts to climb into it, getting more than a little water into the unfortunate and now most likely sinking vessel only then does she seem to notice the people, whom she greets with a surprised roar that seems to be more fear than rage, although probably more than enough of either to drive the motivations of a bear.
DM
 GM, 1690 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 22:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Several figures on the pull long javelins from their backs, alternately facing the bear and the arriving boat. A leather-clad figure whistles into the lake, then calls the boat, keeping a wary eye on the bear.

"Speak! Where do ye motley crew be comin' from?" Ripples in the lake play out, waves moving through the murky water towards the quay.
Morg Danforge
 player, 865 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 23:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"From the keep - we're heading down." Morg says, rowing as if the place already belongs to him.
DM
 GM, 1692 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 02:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"And where exactly do you think you're going, and for what purpose?" the figure called back, the ripples from the lake approaching closer.



Morg obtains Inspiration for entering the 2nd of 4 underground temple areas!
Morg Danforge
 player, 866 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 06:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"To Tyar-Besil, to shore up it's defenses."

"I'm Morg, and the bear in the water's with us."
Morg says, steering for the quay.
Makari
 player, 124 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 16:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari let Morg do the talking for now, since the dwarf seemed to be handling it. The names being tossed out that he wasn't familiar with made him pause but he kept his face schooled as he waited to see how the people would react to Morg's assertion, ready for a fight if needs be.
DM
 GM, 1696 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 02:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The waters just in front of the boat explode upward as a large shark bursts from below the surface. "You'll go no further, and you'll drop all your weapons and come to shore," Eyon calls from the landing. "You'll be well taken care of with the other prisoners. Or, ye will all drown."


What next?

Morg Danforge
 player, 867 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 08:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Whoa there," Morg says as he holds up one hand and slowly unsheathes his greatsword, and drops it in the rowboat. "There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding - we're coming from the keep."

"Please tell your fish friend we're more tin," knocking on his armor, "than dwarf meat."

He steers for the shore.
Makari
 player, 125 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 05:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari didn't really carry weapons, aside from his staff. When Morg first started trying to talk to the people on the shore at a distance, Makari had set it down across his lap. When told that they had to drop their weapon in the water, he did not do so. If they wanted to start a fight over it, he would give as good as he got. But he wasn't about to give up his focus in to the gross water full of gross things.
DM
 GM, 1697 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 19:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Eyon alternately eyes the boat approaching the shore, escorted by the shark swimming nearby, and the large bear sitting in the other boat.

"And exactly who at the Keep thinks the Temple needs shoring up? She folds her hands curiously in front of her, crossing her forefingers overlapping her thumbs, creating an x-shape linked by a line across the bottom.


Make deception/persuasion/other checks as appropriate! ;)

Morg Danforge
 player, 868 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 19:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I don't know anything about a temple." Morg says, and rows faster to the shore.
Makari
 player, 126 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 00:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned at Morg. He looked at the shore and shook his head. "Honestly? They didn't tell us much. Just growled orders at us and we were expected to do as we're told." He gave a shrug. "If you don't want us here, and you want to give us a message to bring back, I mean, whatever."

17:06, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  Deception.
DM
 GM, 1699 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 13 Dec 2020
at 13:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The boat reaches the shore, and the group piles out, Tana hovering in the air nearby.

"Messengers, new recruits, or spies from the Eternal Flamers," Eyon mutters skeptically. "Who sent ye? Who's sending motleys down to me?"
Magdrak
 player, 152 posts
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 19:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak steps forward, his battleaxe in his hand hanging easily down his side.  "Well, I am not sure you would call me a recruit, though I am new to the group.  I was hired;  I am a mercenary, you see, from the Bloodaxes.  No offense, but I do not believe in your cause, whatever it is.  Only believe in the gold I have been offered.  As for them blasted Eternal Flamers, last time I saw them they set a fiery beast after me, and for Valkauna knows what reason, so they can all go to Hades for all I care."



OOC:

14:53, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 18 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 12.  Persuasion Roll.

Makari
 player, 128 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 16 Dec 2020
at 01:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari tried to stay neutral and almost bored looking as the people on the shore spoke back again, just after the boat finally 'landed'. He stood up and hopped out of the boat, one hand on the side of the boat as if to keep it place, the other on his staff, which he held horizontally over the boat so it wouldn't go in the water. He glanced behind him at the water to see if seemed to be lurking in it nearby.

He glanced in a slight bit of surprise as Magdrak spoke up, having been silent up until then in the conversation. He gave a small shrug at the dwarf's words, but was getting ready for a fight. "Look. Whatever. If you're uninterested in putting us to work? Fine. We'll go back. Otherwise, can we skip ahead and move along? This is boring."

18:46, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 21 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 15.  Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Wed 16 Dec 2020.

Morg Danforge
 player, 870 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Wed 16 Dec 2020
at 13:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg picks up his greatsword and gets out of the boat, looking around.
15:08, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 1.  Perception check at everyone on the shore.
DM
 GM, 1701 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 17:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Very well, I will find some work for you," Eyon replies, eyeing her companions and nodding slightly. "If you'll just leave your weapons here and walk this way," she says, indicating the stone passageway leading east from the docks, "we will show you to your stations."


Map updated!
Morg Danforge
 player, 872 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw1 as0 3sd8
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 20:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg ignores the demand to leave his weapons, and starts walking to the eastern stone passageway.
Makari
 player, 129 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 05:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"The shark in the water - is it a druid? A pet? Something else?"

Makari began to step away from the boat but paused as Morg began walking without divesting himself of weapons. He kept his hand on his quarterstaff but made sure he was on the opposite side of the boat from the shark as he readied himself for a fight, his magic ready to imbue his staff if the people reacted poorly to Morg's action.
DM
 GM, 1703 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 28 Dec 2020
at 15:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Eyon ignores Makari's question and draws a shortsword, pointing it Morg's neck and barring his way forward. "Urshnora told us the Keep had fallen," she says, "and methinks ye all are the ones responsible." Her companions all draw weapons, clearly about to attack.



Map updated!

Makari and Magdrak are up now.

Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari21Inspiration
Magdrak21 
Reavers20 
Shark20 
Eyon16 
Tana14Inspiration
Gorm10Inspiration
Durik9Inspiration
Fathomer3 
Morg2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Mon 28 Dec 2020.

Makari
 player, 130 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 29 Dec 2020
at 04:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari shrugged and gave a lopsided grin as things suddenly deteriorated as he had suspected they might. "...boring conversation anyway..."

He brought up his staff, spoke a word of power to imbue it as he gripped it and ran his other hand over it. It light up, very briefly, with a spark of power that enveloped it. Then he raised an eyebrow as well as the staff and spoke a different word of power. Golden-green flames enveloped the staff just before he swung it out at the person standing next to him.

OOC: Cast Shillelagh. Cast Green-Flame Blade and attack the bad guy adjacent.
Hit AC 18 (forgot to add my Prof to the d20 roll below) for 7 bludgeoning and 6 fire.
If that hits, the bad guy next to him takes 7 fire damage.

21:31, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 15,7,6,7 using d20+5,d8+5,d8,d8+5 with rolls of 10,2,6,2.  Green-Flame Shillelagh (last d8+5 is the 2nd target dmg if the attack hits).

Magdrak
 player, 153 posts
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 20:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak sighs as Eyon draws his weapon.  He grumbles to himself.  "Someone is always lookin' for a fight."  The battleaxe in his hand quickly slashes twice at the nearest enemy, hoping to end the fight as quickly as possible.



OOC:

Attack north enemy x2 (Action)
Hit AC 26 for 7 Slashing
Hit AC 16 for 9 Slashing


15:18, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  Attack with Battleaxe.
15:18, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 7 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 3.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
15:18, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 16 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 9.  Attack with Battleaxe.
15:18, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1706 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 19:55
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Everything starts to happen at once on the crowded quay.

One of the tooth-blades reavers falls under Makari and Magdrak's attacks. Magdrak teeters on the edge of falling into the shark-infested water after a vicious shove from the wounded reaver.

Eyon snarles and rushes Morg, scoring a hit in the gaps of the dwarf's armor with her shortsword. Afterwards she gasps at a blast of magical energy from Tana, still hovering above the water nearby.

The air turns misty as ghostly shapes appear in the air around Durik. Bearded in misty white clouds, the stately dwarves in the mist flit through the air. One brushes past the green-tinged skin of one of the combatants, and he shies back.


Map updated!

The shark will attack Magdrak in the water if he fails his check, but otherwise will do nothing this round.

Gorm and Morg are up now for round 1, and Makari & Magdrak can post for round 2 as well.

Round 1 So Far:
Makari casts Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade. He attacks R2 - HIT for 13 total damage. R1 takes 7 fire.

Magdrak attacks R1 twice - HIT twice for 16 slashing. R1 is dead.

Reavers
R2 attempts to shove Magdrak into the water - Magdrak must beat a 9 on an Athletics or Dexterity check or be pushed back 5' into the water.
R3 attacks Durik - HIT for 6 slashing.
R4 attacks Makari - MISS.

Eyon attacks Morg - HITS twice for a total of 24 piercing .

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at R2 & Eyon - HIT R2 for 3 force, CRIT Eyon for 16 force.

Gorm (pending post)

Durik casts Spirit Guardians, designating all allies as unaffected.

Fathomer FAILS Wisdom save vs. Spirit Guardians, takes 10 radiant. Casts Vampiric Touch on Morg - MISS.

Morg (pending post)

Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari21Inspiration
Magdrak21 
Reavers20 
Shark20 
Eyon16 
Tana14Inspiration
Gorm10Inspiration
Durik9Inspiration; Conc: Spirit Guardians
Fathomer3Conc: Vampiric Touch
Morg2 


This message was last edited by the GM at 19:56, Sat 09 Jan.

Magdrak
 player, 154 posts
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 20:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
OOC:  I was chanting "Don't roll a 1... don't roll a 1...!"


15:20, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 20 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 13.  Athletics Check.

Morg Danforge
 player, 873 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 3sd8
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 21:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals


Morg steels himself and smiles after being pierced, "Suicide by dwarf?" His first slash finds purchase, but the second goes wide.
Bonus action: 2nd wind - heals 8 HP.

Action: attack on Eyon with greatsword - hits AC 26 for 15 slashing damage and WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened until end of Morg's next turn.
Extra attack: attack on Eyon with greatsword - critical fail.

23:12, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d10+5 with rolls of 3.  HP recovered from second wind.
23:19, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 26 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 18.  Attack Eyon with greatsword.
23:20, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,6.  Slashing damage to Eyon from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
23:22, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d8 with rolls of 1.  Maneuver: menacing attack on Eyon (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.
23:24, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1.  Attack Eyon (or Fathomer if Eyon is down) with greatsword.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:40, Sat 09 Jan.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 100 posts
Sun 10 Jan 2021
at 00:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With so many people cluttering up the landing the bear does the smart thing, which is starting to seem a bit less surprising now, and mauls the reaver on the southern edge of the platform, resting one of its massive paws on the edge of the stone to stabilize itself and the little boat it has effectively claimed as it rips into the unfortunate man with its other paw, and bites him for good measure.
Makari
 player, 131 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 02:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari narrowed his eyes even as he barely escaped the attack directed at him. His lip curled up a bit as he uttered the same phrase to cause the green flames to appear and engulf his staff once more. He swung out with it again and seemed to strike a solid blow, the flames leaping at the enemy and reaching, straining, towards another enemy close at hand!

OOC: Attacking the one in front of Makari (diagonally I think?), hit AC 20 for 11 bludgeoning and 6 fire, and if successful leaps to an adjacent enemy for 13 fire damage.

19:31, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 20,11,6,13 using d20+5,d8+5,d8,d8+5 with rolls of 15,6,6,8.  Green-Flame Shillelagh (last d8+5 is the 2nd target dmg if the attack hits).

DM
 GM, 1708 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 03:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak manages to stay out of the water


Map updated!

Everyone is up now.

Round 1 Summary:

Makari casts Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade. He attacks R2 - HIT for 13 total damage. R1 takes 7 fire.

Magdrak attacks R1 twice - HIT twice for 16 slashing. R1 is dead.

Reavers
R2 attempts to shove Magdrak into the water - Magdrak saves.
R3 attacks Durik - HIT for 6 slashing.
R4 attacks Makari - MISS.

Eyon attacks Morg - HITS twice for a total of 24 piercing.

Tana casts Agonizing Blast at R2 & Eyon - HIT R2 for 3 force, CRIT Eyon for 16 force.

Gorm attacks R4 - HIT twice with claws and bite for 18 total damage.

Durik casts Spirit Guardians, designating all allies as unaffected.

Fathomer FAILS Wisdom save vs. Spirit Guardians, takes 10 radiant. Casts Vampiric Touch on Morg - MISS.

Morg uses 2nd wind and heals 8 hp   and attacks Eyon with manacing attack - HIT once for 15 slashing, halved to 7 via Eyon Uncanny Dodge.

Round 2 So Far:

Makari attacks R2 with Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade - HIT for a total of 17 damage. R2 is dead. Eyon takes 13 fire.

Magdrak (pending post)

Reavers save vs. Spirit Guardians.
R3 attacks Durik - MISS.
R4 attacks Makari - MISS.

Shark swims east and saves vs. Spirit Guardians, taking 8 radiant. It attacks Gorm - CRIT for 24 piercing damage.

Eyon FAILS save vs. Spirit Guardians and takes 19 radiant. Eyon disengages and moves east.

Tana casts Agonizing Blast Eyon - CRIT for 7 force dmg. Eyon is dead.

Gorm (pending post)

Durik attacks R4 with warhammer - MISS.

Fathomer saves vs. Spirit Guardians, taking 4 radiant, then attempts to touch Morg with Vampiric Touch - MISS.

Morg (pending post)


This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Sat 30 Jan.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 101 posts
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 03:42
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
In a big splash of water the shark comes up out of the water, bites the bear, and presumably drags it down with it, as there is no longer a bear on the boat.
Morg Danforge
 player, 875 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 insp0
 fighter5 BM sw0 as0 2sd8
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 04:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Touch this!" Morg says as he slashes the big green creature with his sword.

Move: 5' east.

Action: attack on Fathomer (or closest Reaver if Fathomer is out) with greatsword - hits AC 26 for 15 slashing damage who must make a WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened (it has disadv. on ability checks and attack rolls while in Morg's line of sight, and can't willingly move closer to him) until end of M's next turn.
Extra attack: attack on Fathomer (or closest Reaver if Fathomer is out) with greatsword - hits AC 20 for 12 slashing damage.

06:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 26 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 18.  Attack on Fathomer (or closest Reaver if Fathomer is out) with greatsword.
06:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,6.  Slashing damage to Fathomer (or closest Reaver) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
06:48, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d8 with rolls of 1.  Maneuver: menacing attack on Fath/R (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.
06:51, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 20 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 12.  Extra attack: Attack on Fathomer (or closest Reaver if Fathomer is out) with greatsword.
06:51, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 10 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 3,2.  Slashing damage to Fathomer (or closest Reaver) from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
06:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Reroll a 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:55, Fri 15 Jan.

Magdrak
 player, 155 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 23:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak dodges and weaves between combatants, trying to maneuver into position for another attack.  He slashes again with his axe at one of the remaining reavers.



OOC:

Move between living reavers and south boat (Movement)
Attack west reaver x2 (Action)
Hit AC 26 for 12 Slashing
Hit AC 19 for 5 Slashing


18:44, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:45, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 12 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 8.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
18:44, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 19 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 12.  Attack with Battleaxe.
18:45, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 5 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 1.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1710 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 17:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The water churns near the boat and the shark is pulled under the surface. Another of the reavers fall, and Morg deals the fathomer a grievous wound. The green-tinged skin of the fathomer pales as he backs away from the dwarf.


Map updated!

Makari and Magdrak are up now. Others can post now too and optionally edit later if required.

Round 2 Summary:

Makari attacks R2 with Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade - HIT for a total of 17 damage. R2 is dead. Eyon takes 13 fire.

Magdrak attacks R4 - HIT once for 12 slashing. R4 is dead. Magdrak attacks R3 - HIT for 5 slashing.

Reaver saves vs. Spirit Guardians. R3 attacks Durik - MISS.

Shark swims east and saves vs. Spirit Guardians, taking 8 radiant. It attacks Gorm - CRIT for 24 piercing damage.

Eyon FAILS save vs. Spirit Guardians and takes 19 radiant. Eyon disengages and moves east.

Tana casts Agonizing Blast Eyon - CRIT for 7 force dmg. Eyon is dead.

Gorm uses Wild Shape and attacks Shark - HIT for 11 bludgeoning. Shark is grappled.

Durik attacks R4 with warhammer - MISS.

Fathomer saves vs. Spirit Guardians, taking 4 radiant, then attempts to touch Morg with Vampiric Touch - MISS.

Morg attacks Fathomer with Manacing Attack - HIT for total of 27 slashing. Fathomer FAILS save and is frightened of Morg until the end of Morg's next turn, and FAILS concentration save.


Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari21Inspiration
Magdrak21 
Reaver20 
Shark20Grappled by Gorm
Tana14Inspiration
Gorm10Inspiration; Grappling Shark
Durik9Inspiration; Conc: Spirit Guardians
Fathomer3Frightened of Morg until EoMNT
Morg2 

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:46, Sat 30 Jan.

Makari
 player, 132 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 27 Jan 2021
at 01:03
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari didn't like necessarily being stuck in melee range, but at least he had previously had some training in close quarters combat so he wasn't wholly unprepared and easy prey. He cast the same spell once more and golden-green flames engulfed his club as he swung out at the one enemy still in front of him, and the flames leaped to the one standing next to them, ostensibly out of Makari's reach, but not so!

Hit AC 24 for 16 damage (6 fire, 10 bludgeon) and the enemy next to them for 9 fire.

17:57, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 21,10,6,9 using d20+5,d8+5,d8,d8+5 with rolls
of 16,5,6,4.  Green-Flame Shillelagh (last d8+5 is the 2nd target dmg if the attack hits).

This message was last edited by the player at 19:18, Wed 27 Jan.

Magdrak
 player, 156 posts
Fri 29 Jan 2021
at 05:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak shifts his stance as one enemy falls beneath his blade.  He begins to focus his attacks on those that remain.  He gruffly murmurs to no one in particular.  "You would think that these cultists would learn not to attack us for no reason."



OOC:

Attack north reaver x2 (Action)
Move to melee with Fathomer, if necessary (Movement)
Hit AC 19 for 9 Slashing
Hit AC 24 for 5 Slashing


00:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 19 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 12.  Attack with Battleaxe.
00:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 5.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)
00:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 24 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 17.  Attack with Battleaxe.
00:46, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 5 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 1.  Damage with Battleaxe. (Slashing)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1712 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 30 Jan 2021
at 21:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Both of the remaining guards fall from another round of blows, the serrated blade falling from the reaver's lifeless fingers to clatter on the wet stone quay. The surface of the water next to the rowboat continues to churn from something beneath the surface.


Map updated!

Since the shark is the only remaining combatant, everyone is up now (though the shark is below the surface of the water, currently).

Round 3 So Far:

Makari attacks remaining Reaver with Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade - HIT for a total of 16 damage. Fathomer takes 9 fire. Fathomer is dead.

Magdrak attacks remaining Reaver - HIT twice for 14 slashing. Reaver is dead.

Shark (grappled) FAILS save vs. Spirit Guardians and takes 13 radiant. It attacks Gorm with bite - MISS.


Gorm Hareth
 player, 103 posts
Sat 30 Jan 2021
at 22:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Thrashing about near the surface of the water the occasional shark fin breaches the surface, sometimes covered by some sort of pale colored tentacle only to be twisted around and returned to the water at an obviously not forward direction.  More than a little blood joins it.
Morg Danforge
 player, 877 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sat 30 Jan 2021
at 22:50
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg drops his greatsword, takes out a javelin and tries to throw it at the shark while avoiding the polite bear.

Free action: drop greatsword.

Move: 15' northwest to edge of water.

Interaction: take out javelin.

Action: attack shark with javelin - hits AC 25 for 6 piercing damage.
Extra attack: pass.

00:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Attack shark with javelin1.
00:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 1.  Piercing damage to shark from javelin1.

DM
 GM, 1713 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 14:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg's javelin pierces the shark's hide below the water and the thrashing goes still.


Aaaaaand we're out of initiative!

Map updated. Where to?

Round 3 Summary:

Makari attacks remaining Reaver with Shillelagh & Green Flame Blade - HIT for a total of 16 damage. Fathomer takes 9 fire. Fathomer is dead.

Magdrak attacks remaining Reaver - HIT twice for 14 slashing. Reaver is dead.

Shark (grappled) FAILS save vs. Spirit Guardians and takes 13 radiant. It attacks Gorm with bite - MISS.

Tana hangs out.

Gorm attacks shark - HIT for 9 bludgeoning.

Durik hangs out.

Morg throws his javelin at the shark - HIT for 6 piercing. Shark is dead.

Morg Danforge
 player, 879 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 16:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg backs away from the water.
If Gorm turns into a bear again, Morg will ask if it can return his javelin, and then help looking the thru the dead cultists' belongings:

Search: 8 perception check, or
4 investigate check of cultists' belongings.

18:24, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 8 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 4.  Perception or Investigate (-4) check of cultists' belongings.

Makari
 player, 136 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 17:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari took a moment to catch his breath. He hadn't been in this much real combat since he was trained that he'd ended up in since he'd arrived in this new place. He shook his club out a bit and then put it back on his belt for the moment.

He glanced over at Morg, "Well. It's rarely dull around you so far."

Then he began looking through the corpses to see if they had anything interesting.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 105 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 18:19
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As the fight below the surface slows then comes to a bubbling stop the water's surface stills, but only for a moment.  Shortly there after the shark's javelin impaled body is pushed up on to the shore by several long tentacles, the suckers releasing it with a wet squishing sound before they too recede below the surface.
DM
 GM, 1714 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 18:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari rifles through the bodies of the corpses and finds a large waterproof bag on Eyon's corpse. A potion in a tear-drop shaped bottle is inside, along with a number of coins and 5 very fine looking gemstones. The rest of the guards carried another handful of gold coins.

The reavers' shields were clearly fashioned from some sort of shelled undersea creature, and look brittle. Their swords are all adorned with sharp shark teeth, though all but one is rusted and seemingly not very functional. The fourth, however, looks relatively serviceable.


Loot thread updated!

XP summary:
4 reavers - 400
Eyon - 700
fathomer - 450
hunter shark - 450
Running total XP (each): 9,638

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:25, Sat 06 Feb.

Morg Danforge
 player, 880 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 18:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg goes up to the shark's body and takes out the javelin.
"Gorm, is that you?" he says, stepping back again.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 106 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 22:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The water itself is silent, but there is some sort of shadowy shape just below the surface moving away from the boat and dock.
Makari
 player, 137 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 23:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari's nose wrinkled and he left the weapons and shields were they were really. They weren't his style, and if anyone else wanted to grab them they could. The bag was interesting. He would check for magic auras in a moment. The money and the gems...well, it was a bit distasteful to take from the dead, but they might need it later. And he supposed it was better to have and not need rather than not having.

He looked at the others. "Do we have time for me to cast a ritual to see if anything is magic? Or should we press on?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 881 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 08:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I would like a bit of a rest, and Gorm said she's going to carefully investigate underwater northwards." Morg said.

"I think she's the octopus we saw earlier, so she must be a druid because they can polymohph into all sorts of animals."
Makari
 player, 138 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 17:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gave a slow nod, frowning lightly in thought. "I suppose that would make sense. They seem to...prefer being in animal shapes more than anything else, thus far." He gave a small shrug of his shoulders. He wasn't one to judge.

He set out the things they had found, even including the weapons and such that he didn't want to take just in case. Then he pulled out a black and gold tome that he opened and set in his lap. He began to ritually cast a spell to see if any were magic, taking several minutes to do so.

OOC: Ritually casting Detect Magic.
Morg Danforge
 player, 882 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 19:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg sat down close by, hoping Makari's spell would detect anything magical he had on him that he didn't know about.
DM: Morg only knows about Reszur being magical.
Magdrak
 player, 157 posts
Mon 8 Feb 2021
at 02:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak just stands, axe in his hand, shifting his weight back and forth as Makari casts his spell.  As each minute passes, he looks around at the surroundings, trying to keep an eye out for any potential enemies they may have missed.  He starts muttering to himself.  "Blasted rituals, always take so long..."



OOC:

21:03, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 14 using 1d20 with rolls of 14.  Perception Roll.

DM
 GM, 1715 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 02:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Faint ripples in the water lead away from the quay as Makari engages in his ritual. After a little more than ten minutes, he stops the ritual, looking about himself and at the objects carried by himself and his companions.





Map updated! The expanded map reflects the exploring Gorm is doing.


Makari
 player, 139 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 05:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari finished the ritual and gazed around slowly, looking over the object laid out before him and whatever else he might be able to see nearby. He spoke in a...distant voice, hollow almost, since the majority of his concentration and attention were on the spell he was holding.

"The bottle...is a potion, though I am unsure of what kind of potion." He concentrated on it, trying to ascertain the school of magic behind the effect the potion might have.

"The scrolls from before. Your dagger, Morg. The wand." He trailed off and then blinked. "Nothing else."
Gorm Hareth
 player, 107 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2021
at 01:52
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Just about the same time the ritual is complete the tell tail ripple in the water that indicates something large but soft just under the surface returns.
.
Morg Danforge
 player, 884 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Thu 11 Feb 2021
at 06:24
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Gorm says there's something big under a bridge to the west, which probably didn't notice her. The channel is not natural, and has statues in it. She says there are bridges to the north, and a recently lit torch."

"I'd prefer a bit more of a rest in this tunnel here going northeast. How about you all?"
Morg says.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:25, Thu 11 Feb.

DM
 GM, 1716 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 12 Feb 2021
at 20:46
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The water from the nearby lake laps at the shore of the quay, and faint splashes echoing from the darkness outside the ring of light cast from the nearby torch. No other motion stirs the area.


Are y'all trying for a full hour's rest?


Makari
 player, 140 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 13 Feb 2021
at 01:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari gave the vial a slightly askance look and carefully wrapped it up, just to be safe. He then let the magic of the ritual slowly fade as he ceased concentration on it. He looked around and then relaxed in to a meditative pose.

OOC: Sure. Short rest sounds good to me.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 108 posts
Sat 13 Feb 2021
at 05:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Once the scouting run's assessment is clearly directed to rest the bear known as Gorm comes out of the water again, climbing up on the boat first, then up to the dock where she settles down to take a break, resting easily but not quite asleep.
DM
 GM, 1717 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 14 Feb 2021
at 20:39
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Aside from the bear's emergence from the water, nothing stirs for the next hour.


Feel free to post all the short rest things you like, including examining one of the unidentified magic items in the loot thread.

Morg Danforge
 player, 885 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sun 14 Feb 2021
at 20:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg keeps watch examines the shark-toothed swords and the agates, while recovering during the short rest.
22:52, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 7.  HP recovered from hit die.
22:53, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d10+2 with rolls of 4.  HP recovered from hit die 2.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:34, Wed 17 Feb.

DM
 GM, 1720 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 20 Feb 2021
at 18:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The surroundings remain quiet as the group remains at the quay, resting.


The 2 scrolls are remove curse & skywrite.

The shark-toothed longsword will do an extra die of damage vs. targets not wearing armor

Value of all applicable items now updated in the Loot thread, along with identified items =)

Remove Curse scroll and Wolfsbane potion should be sufficient to cure the lycanthropy of our 2 stricken PCs if you so desire.

Where to next?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:11, Sat 20 Feb.

Morg Danforge
 player, 889 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sat 20 Feb 2021
at 22:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Northeast? Armored or quiet ones in front?" Morg whispers.
Makari
 player, 144 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 21 Feb 2021
at 01:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked over things with a bit of interest. "Hmm. I think..." He frowned slightly and then gave a slow nod. "Interesting. I think this could be a cure of lycanthropy. If we knew of an area where it was prevalent, we could make some good coin."

He began putting things away for the moment. He looked over at Morg and then gave a small shrug. "As good a direction as any. I would prefer to be not on the front lines unless we are trying to sneak."

OOC: I believe Makari came in after the werewolf stuff and I don't remember if he saw anyone 'wolf out' since he joined.
Magdrak
 player, 158 posts
Mon 22 Feb 2021
at 05:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak grunted at Makari's words.  "I guess you were not here.  I would say that lycanthropy is prevalent in this area.  I got it from a wereboar, though the change has not set in on me yet.  And I think the bear got hit too, though it is not exactly talkative about such things.  Nasty curse.  Saw a friend of mine at the fire cultist base that had it.  Poor Wiglaf.

"As for who leads, I do not think it would matter if you put me a dozen paces back.  Not exactly light on my feet, and this armor rattles something awful.  So I suppose I can lead the way."

Morg Danforge
 player, 892 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 15:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg slaps Magdrak on the shoulder, saying "That sounds right, the dwarves out front, taking back Besilmer!" as he follows the corridor east and then north.
DM
 GM, 1723 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 27 Feb 2021
at 22:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group turns the corner and faces a hallway running north. The left wall features a door partway up the corridor, and a second door faces them at the extreme northern end. The hallway turns west at that point, beyond the group's line of sight.


Map updated!
Morg Danforge
 player, 893 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sat 27 Feb 2021
at 22:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg waits for Gorm to come into view, and looking at her points to the western door and his ear, making way for the bear to pass if she chooses to.
Makari
 player, 145 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 28 Feb 2021
at 05:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked down the hallway discreetly. He took note of the turn of the hallway, but more importantly the two doors. He stepped back and spoke quietly. "The fight we had probably ruined any chance of surprise down here but..." He gave a nod towards the hallway. "I think we should check the doors in order as we go to make sure no one comes up behind us later."

He saw Morg trying to motion Gorm to take the lead, and he quickly tried to flatten himself against the wall if he saw the 'bear' moving forward.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 110 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2021
at 06:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Although quite a bit bigger than a human, and easily able to dominate even these wide hallways, the bear really isn't a very big version and can quite easily squeeze aside to let others pass.  Gorm doesn't seem any more inclined to lead the group than ever before, content to let those more skilled at doors and stone go ahead.
Morg Danforge
 player, 894 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sun 28 Feb 2021
at 06:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg puts his ear against the western door, listening for any sounds from inside.
08:17, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 22 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 18.  Perception check at western door.
Magdrak
 player, 160 posts
Sun 28 Feb 2021
at 07:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
While Morg listens at the western door, Magrak posts himself north along the corridor, keeping an eye on the passageway ahead as best he can.
DM
 GM, 1725 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 2 Mar 2021
at 03:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
An iron hasp-and-pin arrangement secures the western door. A dark, slit-like window looks into the room beyond, where a number of forms, clearly prisoners, lay in darkness upon straw pallets covered by threadbare blankets.
Morg Danforge
 player, 898 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Tue 2 Mar 2021
at 07:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg looks at  Mak and Mag and mimes talking to the prisoners inside, as he moves away from the door while taking out his crowbar.
Makari
 player, 148 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 22:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari glanced at Morg when he gave a significant look their way. He frowned quizzically then looked at the door. He thought about it and then shrugged, moved to the door.

He peered in to the 'window' slot for a moment, eyes narrowing. Then he spoke through the door, keeping his voice kind of quiet still. "Hello in there! We are going to see about getting you out of there, so please stay calm and sit tight."
Landrin Flint
 player, 6 posts
 Human Wizard
 Researcher
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 07:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin ached all over. His jailers had really worked him over with the bumps and bruises to prove it. It was no surprise when he didn’t find any of his gear nearby and was locked in a cell. Well this sucks.He sat up and tried to assess his surroundings. That was when he heard a voice calling out from the door about somebody here to rescue him. He was a little surprised that the Harpers would send someone so soon to retrieve him. There was nothing for him to do sitting there, so he calmly nodded and stood up.
Morg Danforge
 player, 903 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 07:59
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tries to open the door, and if locked and no-one else can open it, he tries to force it open with his crowbar.
09:58, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 18 using 2d20+8, keeping the highest dice only with rolls of 10,3.  Athletics check to try to open the prison door, advantage from crowbar.
DM
 GM, 1726 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 17:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Through the window in the door, a half-dozen straw pallets are visible, covered by threadbare blankets spread out on the floor. A cask leans against one wall. Two weary and battered figures dressed only in smallclothes occupy the room.


The door is secured on the outside by a simple iron hasp-and-pin arrangement, which is easy to undo.

Our two new PCs are devoid of armor or weapons for the time being - these were taken from them upon their capture.

Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 6 posts
 Evocation Wizard
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 18:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
A gnome of average build with short blond hair and a well trimmed goatee turned to face the opened door. He saw several forms, where he'd hoped to only see one or two. ~These pirates are serious about their prisoners. Escape will not be easy.~ The odds were not in his favor, and without components or a focus, his spell choices for dealing with them were too limited to put up a fight right now.

He stayed in his sitting position, arms looped over his knees, while he waited to see what it was they were going to do to him today.
Makari
 player, 149 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 05:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Once Morg had the door open, Makari popped his head in with a friendly smile on his face. "Hello. You are now free to go, courtesy of...well, us. We don't have a group name."

He popped back out and frowned at Morg. "Hmm. I suppose we should come up with a suitable name at some point. I've heard that all adventuring or mercenary companies have one."

He waved a dismissive hand. "I suppose that's neither here nor now."
Morg Danforge
 player, 904 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 06:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
To the prisoners, Morg says while pointing to the spare shark-toothed longsword "We're not with the cult - we just took these from them."

To Makari he says "How about, The counter cult, uh, -ers. The cult cleaners?"
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 7 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 15:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo stood up, at that. "Well, I certainly wasn't expecting a rescue party! It's a pleasure to meet...the cleaning crew?"

In better circumstances, he might have been able to come up with a more clever response, but as it was that was the best he had. "You haven't come across items my size, and a nice leatherbound book, have you? I'm going to need my things if I'm going to properly...'thank' the genasi who brought me here."
Morg Danforge
 player, 905 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 16:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I don't remember seeing such a book down here, or upstairs." Morg says.

"Are you talking about Shoalah Quandehil? We've heard that a genasi by that name is in league with Gah Shatterkeel. Do you know where either of them are?"
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 8 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 16:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I've never heard of Gah, but yes, Shoalah is the one who killed everyone else on my boat and captured me. I was told he had books of ancient Dwarven magic to sell, which is how he lured me into the meeting. He had books, but there was nothing but genealogy in them."
Landrin Flint
 player, 7 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Wed 10 Mar 2021
at 18:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin rose slowly still carrying some suspicion about these new arrivals. One never knew if they were trying to lure someone into a false sense of security to gain information. He had resisted all their other methods so far. “My name is Landrin. Pleased to meet you. As you can see, I’m not much help at the current moment, but if we can find my armor and weapons I can be more of assistance in getting us all out of here. Have you considered the group name, the Unknown?”He walked to the door and waited to be let out.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 112 posts
Wed 10 Mar 2021
at 18:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear that accompanies the more normal adventurers stays away from the cell, either to avoid the small space full of even smaller creatures, or just to not be subjected to the full might of its aroma.
Magdrak
 player, 161 posts
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 04:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak turns his head away from his view of the northern passageway, speaking in a low and gruff voice.  "Keep it down, will you?  We do not need the entire garrison coming down on us at the moment."
Makari
 player, 150 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 05:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari shook his head to both questions of gear that the former prisoners had lost. "Not as of yet, I don't think."

He listened as Morg asked questions about things he wanted to know, most of which meant very little to Makari. At least one of the former prisoners had some answers, though he wasn't sure if that was what Morg was looking for or not.

"I'm Makari Dyerna." he said quietly. He glanced towards Magdrak and shrugged. He hadn't talked loudly. He was suddenly very glad that he'd put Moonclaw away so that it wouldn't have felt the need to let out a hoot just to spite the dwarf.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:26, Thu 11 Mar.

Morg Danforge
 player, 907 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 07:08
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Well our druid trusts you enough." Morg whispers, and takes out and offers his shield and a shark-toothed longsword to the human, and a dagger (the trophy, not Reznar) to the gnome.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 10 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 14:26
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo took the dagger that was offered. He wasn't much good with weapons, but a blade was always handy. "Thank you. Do you know how many are left? Few or many, that is."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:27, Thu 11 Mar.

Morg Danforge
 player, 908 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 15:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I have no idea how many there are, but in my experience there are usually more cultists that one would reasonably expect." Morg says.

"You can join us for as long as you want, as we retake this dwarven stronghold - and if they didn't throw your possessions in the river you'll probably find them in one of the rooms to the north or west. There's also some worked area to the south, but I'd rather not get into the boat to get there if I don't have to."
Landrin Flint
 player, 8 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 19:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin took the offered sword and shield. It wasn’t his usual accompaniment, but anything was better than nothing, and as the old saying goes ‘beggars can’t be choosers’. He hung towards the back of the group. “I’ll try to guard the rear. If I disappear in the shadows, know that I haven’t left you.”
DM
 GM, 1727 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 01:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Muffled sounds from beyond the doorway of the prison cell become audible as the enlarged group arranges itself. Tana and Durik exchange glances, uneasily looking up, plainly feeling the weight of rock above their heads.
Morg Danforge
 player, 909 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 06:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"Be ready for trouble, and walk like you own the place." Morg whispers, and then leaves the cell heading north.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 113 posts
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 07:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following Morg's advice the bear holds its head high and and also follows him literally on the way out of the cell area to the north.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 11 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 14:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo fell in line with the others. He had always dismissed the majority of Illusion magic as pointless and ineffective, but this actually seemed like it would have been a fair opportunity to employ such. Not that he had any idea where he was going, which is why Divination was still clearly superior, but when you were left nearly naked and surrounded by your enemies, blending in could potentially be useful. Potentially.
Makari
 player, 151 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 23:18
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari eyed the freed prisoners for a moment and then just mentally gave a shrug. He decided he would trust them marginally until they proved themselves, and keep an eye on them until then, just to be safe. He didn't think the cult was that savvy and cunning, to lock up some of their own people in hopes of them getting freed by wandering adventures to later betray them. That sounded like something out of a fanciful bard's tale.

He readied his staff again as he followed Morg and the others.
Landrin Flint
 player, 9 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 09:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin readied himself as he fell in line. “None of you would happen to have an extra bow or something of that sort?”
Morg Danforge
 player, 910 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 09:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I have some string and ball bearings if you want to make a sling." Morg whispers to the human.
Landrin Flint
 player, 10 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 16:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin nods and takes the offered items. He sheathes the sword and slings the shield over his shoulder as he quickly tries to fashion a makeshift sling that would hopefully last long enough until he got his full gear.
DM
 GM, 1729 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 23:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group files out of the prison door, and heads towards the sound of movement to the north. The corridor continues to the west beyond the a stone door, behind which sounds of movement and voices can be heard.


Map updated!
Morg Danforge
 player, 911 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Fri 19 Mar 2021
at 05:44
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg puts his helmeted head against the northern door, trying to hear what's being said inside.

07:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 9.  Perception check for words spoken behind northern door.

Makari
 player, 152 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 20 Mar 2021
at 02:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari hesitated, stopping his forward momentum, when they started to hear noises. One eyebrow went up and he watched Morg carefully. He looked at the others and then back at Morg. He mimed a motion of knocking and looked quizzical? Then he mimed flinging the door open and raised his weapon...then looked questioningly to see if they wanted to do either of those things.

20:15, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 18 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 12.  Perception.
DM
 GM, 1730 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 21 Mar 2021
at 01:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I'm telling you, the whole Keep is wiped out," a passionate female voice from beyond the door says. "If I can just get some reinforcements of loyalists we can run the attackers out and setup our own garrison. Then we challenge Gar's leadership."

"I'm off duty. Let me sleep," another annoyed voice says, muffled by something, perhaps a pillow.
Morg Danforge
 player, 912 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sun 21 Mar 2021
at 07:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tries to quietly back away from the door, and whispers to the party "They're talking about overthrowing Gah Shatterkeel - I suggest we knock like Mak suggests, and tell them we want Shatterkeel dead also, and that we're just looking for the prisoners' belongings and to go down into the stronghold."

Looking to the newly released prisoners, he whispers "Or do you want revenge on these people?"
09:13, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 20.  Stealth check to quietly back away from the door.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 12 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Sun 21 Mar 2021
at 14:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I want my things, I don't care about most of the people. Shoalar Quanderil may be a different story."
Landrin Flint
 player, 11 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Mon 22 Mar 2021
at 04:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin shrugged. “They were only following orders I’m sure. I’m more ready to just get my things and get out of here.”
Makari
 player, 153 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Mon 22 Mar 2021
at 23:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari listened and the consensus seemed not to kick the door open and kill everyone. He gave a nod, used his staff to bang on the door twice, then stepped back and to the side of the doorway so he could be seen but had a tough dwarf in front of him.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 114 posts
Tue 23 Mar 2021
at 04:34
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Following the reverse logic the bear backs up until she is out of view from the door but can still see the allies standing on this side of it, and can likely hear any results just fine.
DM
 GM, 1731 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 25 Mar 2021
at 22:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Sounds of bickering continue from inside the room for few more minutes. It's clear that the woman isn't making a great deal of headway making her case. Her arguments start to become fewer and farther between, and the most frequent response to her points is shushing.
Makari
 player, 154 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Fri 26 Mar 2021
at 03:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari waited, tensed a bit, staring at the door in anticipation, waiting for it to be opened. And waited. And nothing happened. The door didn't open. The voices kept talking. "What the..."

He looked over at Morg and shrugged. "Do you want to open it for them?"
Morg Danforge
 player, 913 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Fri 26 Mar 2021
at 07:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg sheaths his sword and tries to open the door just a bit. If it's unlocked, he'll say thru the opening "We're just here to talk - don't attack."

If it's locked, he'll knock hard on it.
DM
 GM, 1732 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 28 Mar 2021
at 16:56
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
After a silent pause, the door in front of Morg is wrenched open, revealing an old chamber beyond furnished with six plain wooden bunks and sacks of provisions. In the far corner sits a stack of belongings; clothing, backpacks, weapons, and armor that seemingly bear no resemblance to the cultists' usual gear lay in a heap against a rough stone wall. Another stone door is in the western wall.

A woman with pale green skin stands just inside the door in a fury, staring down the group in surprise and anger. Beyond her, the room is filled with cultists in various states of dress, most lounging in their bunks or standing near them. They sit upright in alarm as the door swings open.

"You," she breathes through clenched teeth, staring at Morg and Makari in turn, flitting glances behind at the rest of the group. "Speak quickly or drown in the fury of the Drowned Princess' power."


Map Updated!

Those of you who assaulted the castle above would remember her as the person who abruptly disappeared when you stormed the Keep proper.

Those of you previously imprisoned would recognize your belongings stacked in the far corner.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:59, Sun 28 Mar.

Morg Danforge
 player, 914 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sun 28 Mar 2021
at 17:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
"I also want to kill Gah Shatterkeel, so I'm prepared to help you with that." Morg says.

"Or you can attack us, and suffer the same fate as those who resisted us in the keep. By the way, not one person in this party was killed in taking the keep - the same can not be said for those who were trying to defended their fortified building."
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 13 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 03:35
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo pointed, "Those things there, belong to me. I'll be having them back, now."
DM
 GM, 1733 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 1 Apr 2021
at 01:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The woman sneers at Kaabo and opens her mouth to reply to him and Morg.

A man standing behind her near a bunk cuts her off, pointing at the door. "Blasphemy Urshnora! Gar Shatterkeel is the Prophet of the Crushing Wave himself! Destroy these intruders before his wrath is invoked." The other occupants of the room look uncertainly between the new arrivals, the woman Urshnora, and the irate robed man.
Landrin Flint
 player, 12 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Fri 2 Apr 2021
at 23:16
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
“Or...we have a nice stew and talk about the end of the world or something?”Landrin just wanted to grab his stuff and get out of there. He didn’t care if the residents fought amongst themselves.
Makari
 player, 156 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 3 Apr 2021
at 00:58
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari turned to look at the gnome in surprise when he spoke up and basically demanded his gear back. But then one of the people inside the room spoke up more vehemently and used alarming words like "blasphemous" and "destroy".

So he let out a sigh, shook his head, "Typical aggression. Shut the door, Morg." He pointed his staff towards the room, after moving it in a quick circle while his other hand made an awkward gesture and he uttered an arcane-infused phrase, "Hunger of Hadar!"

There was a sound like a tearing, and then darkness filled the room. There were terrifying sounds echoing about from inside the darkness, a cacophony of soft whispers and slurping noises.

OOC: Sorry, someone said to destroy us.
Makari casts Hunger of Hadar.

Morg Danforge
 player, 916 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sat 3 Apr 2021
at 09:13
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tried to shut the door and jam his crowbar into the bottom to keep it closed.
11:12, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 16 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 8.  Athletics check to try to close door and jam it with crowbar.
DM
 GM, 1736 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 20:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari's spell darkens the interior of the room just before Morg slams the stone door in the face of a shocked Urshnora. Cries from beyond the door are muffled by the thick stone.

Tana and Durik watch the corridor to the south, unable to see the far end of the corridor beyond the rest of the group.


Map updated!

By a stroke of luck, all cultists except the Reavers rolled lower init than everyone in the party. Everyone is up now, though Makari and Morg have pretty much already taken their turns this round.


Round 1 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22 
Reavers20 
Morg18 
Landrin14 
Gorm7 
Kaabo6 
Magdrak5 
CW Priest4 
Urshnora2 

Landrin Flint
 player, 14 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Wed 7 Apr 2021
at 00:09
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin stands with his shield up defensively in case something comes out of the room.

OOC:
Action: Dodge

Magdrak
 player, 162 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2021
at 06:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak sputters as the meeting quickly gets out of hand.  After giving off a muffled bellow of no words, he readies his axe to strike at the first person through the door.  He grumbles to himself.  "Always has to come to battle."



OOC:

Ready attack for first person through door (Action)
Hit AC 19 for 9 Slashing


02:02, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 19 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 12.  Attack with Battleaxe.
02:02, Today: Secret Roll: Magdrak rolled 9 using 1d8+4 with rolls of 5. (Slashing)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1739 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 16:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As Morg hammers the crowbar into place, water suddenly seeps from the gap between the stone door and the floor at his feet. It quickly coalesces into a thick serpentine form made entirely of green-tinged water, then slithers a few feet towards Makari.

Madrak swings his axe at the water creature, parting the water briefly before reforming into a snake.


Map updated!

Everyone is up now.

Round 1 Summary:

Makari casts Hunger of Hadar in the room.

Reavers take 6 cold damage at the start of their turn, and Reavers remaining in the room take 5 additional acid.

Morg closes the door and attempts to jam it shut.

Landrin dodges.

Gorm hangs out.

Kaabo hangs out.

Magdrak readies an attack.

CW Priest takes 9 cold damage. He casts Expeditious Retreat and moves.

Urshnora takes 3 cold damage. She Shapechanges into a serpent composed of water and slides under the door. Magdrak's readied attack triggers - HIT for 9 slashing.

Round 2 So Far:

Reavers remaining in the room take 6 cold damage.


Round 2 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22Conc: Hunger of Hadar
Reavers20 
Morg18 
Landrin14 
Gorm7 
Kaabo6 
Magdrak5 
CW Priest4Conc: Expeditious Retreat
Urshnora2 

Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 17 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 17:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Surprised to see a water-person-thing, Kaabo reflexively sent a blast of cold energy flying toward the water-creature.

Action: cast Frost Bite
Result: Con 15 vs 3 Cold damage and Disadvantage on their next attack roll

12:04, Today: Kaabo Roulnar rolled 3 using 2d6.  Frost Bite.

Makari
 player, 160 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 17:29
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari looked surprised, very visibly surprised, when water come out from under the door, turned in to a snake-thing and came at him! "Ahh! What the hells?"

His first instinct was to cast a spell and teleport away to keep outside of harm's reach, but he, perhaps unwisely, tamped down on that and stayed where he was since his combat-capable allies were right next to him as well. He powered up his staff once more with a gesture and the arcane-infused phrase, "Shillelagh!". Then he bobbed and weaved and tried to make himself harder to be struck.

Bonus Action: Cast Shillelagh.
Action: Dodge.
Movement: None.

Morg Danforge
 player, 917 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 4sd8
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 20:41
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg slashes twice at the serpent and moves his head between it and Makarai allowing him to safely move away.
Interaction: take out greatsword.

Action: attack Urshnora serpent with greatsword - hits AC 23 for 13 slashing damage.
Maneuvering attack allows Makari to use his REACTION to move up to half his speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the Urshnora serpent.
Extra attack: attack Urshnora serpent with greatsword - hits AC 23 for 14 slashing damage.

Move: if Makari makes space, Morg will move 10' W, NW to allow other melees to approach.

22:30, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 15.  Attack Urshnora serpent with greatsword.
22:31, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 2,2.  Slashing damage to Urshnora serpent from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
22:31, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll first 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
22:32, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Reroll second 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
22:32, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d8 with rolls of 1.  Maneuver: maneuvering attack allowing Makari to use REACTION to move up to half speed sans OA.

22:33, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 15.  Extra attack Urshnora serpent with greatsword.
22:33, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 5,4.  Slashing damage to Urshnora serpent from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Sun 11 Apr.

Landrin Flint
 player, 15 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 22:37
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin doesn’t have any room to engage the water serpent, so he continues to bob and weave in case something else gets out.

OOC: Dodge
Makari
 player, 161 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 22:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari nodded to Morg and used the distraction of his attack to dark past Gorm to the south.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 115 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2021
at 00:12
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Waiting patiently for the smaller creatures to shuffle around until there is room to fit, the bear then steps forward into the gap and pounds the serpent thing with a giant paw while trying to bite it in half like any bear would a bit snake.
DM
 GM, 1740 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 02:10
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The robed priest rounds the corner of at the far end of the hallway, flanked by four reavers. With a wicked scowl he calls at Urshnora. "This way," he beckons impatiently, before flinging 3 bolts of magical force that slam into Morg's chest.

The water snake speeds across the floor towards the priest, passing between the man's legs and around the corner. Two of the reavers advance and attack Morg.


Map updated!

Everyone is up now. Technically Makari takes his turn before the Reavers move around the corner.

Magdrak can take his turn from last round as well, presumably attacking the water snake before it flees.

Round 2 Summary:

Makari casts Shillelagh and dodges.

Reavers in the room take 6 cold damage.

Morg attacks Urshnora twice - HITS twice for 27 slashing. Using Maneuvering Attack, Makari moves south and Morg moves west.

Landrin dodges.

Gorm moves towards the serpent and attacks - HITS for 11 piercing + 9 slashing.

Kaabo casts Frostbite at Urshnora - FAIL. Urshnora takes 3 cold damage and has disadvantage on the next attack roll it takes before the end of its next turn.

Magdrak

CW Priest comes around the corner and casts Magic Missile at Morg - autohits for 12 force.

Urshnora/water snake Disengages and moves east.

Round 3 So Far:

Reavers step around the corner. Two move and attack Morg - one HITS for 9 slashing .


Round 3 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22Conc: Hunger of Hadar
Reavers20 
Morg18 
Landrin14 
Gorm7 
Kaabo6 
Magdrak5 
CW Priest4Conc: Ex. Retreat
Urshnora2 

Morg Danforge
 player, 918 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 1as 1sw 3sd8
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 07:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg tries to follow the water creature, but it's too quick and slithery, so he steels himself, shouts "Surrender, or die like those in the keep!" and unleashes on the cultists.
Move: towards 2 reavers standing next to Morg, or if they're dead towards water creature.

Bonus action: 2nd wind - heals 6 HP.

Action: attack R1 (or R2 if R1 out, or Urshnora if both R1 and R2 out) with greatsword - hits AC 25 for 15 slashing damage. If not out, then additional 6 slashing damage and it must make a WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened (disadv. on checks and attacks, can't move closer to Morg).
Extra attack: attack R1 (or R2 if R1 out, or Urshnora if both R1 and R2 out) with greatsword - hits AC 19 for 16 slashing damage. If not out, then additional 1 slashing damage and it must make a WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened (disadv. on checks and attacks, can't move closer to Morg).

Action surge attack: attack R1 (or R2 if R1 out, or Urshnora if both R1 and R2 out) with greatsword - hits with critical hit for 20 slashing damage. If not out, then additional 9 slashing damage and it must make a WIS save vs DC 16 or be frightened (disadv. on checks and attacks, can't move closer to Morg).
Action surge extra attack: attack R1 (or R2 if R1 out, or Urshnora if both R1 and R2 out) with greatsword - hits AC 14 (or 16 if any of the previous 3 superiority dice weren't used) for 16 slashing damage.


08:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d10+5 with rolls of 1.  HP recovered from second wind.

08:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 25 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 17.  Attack R1 with greatsword.
08:41, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 15 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 4,6.  Slashing damage to R1 from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
08:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d8 with rolls of 6.  Maneuver: menacing attack on R1 (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next turn.

08:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 19 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 11.  Extra attack R1, R2, or U with greatsword.
08:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 2,5.  Slashing damage to R1, R2, or U from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
08:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 6 using 1d6 with rolls of 6.  Reroll the 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
08:47, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d8 with rolls of 1.  Maneuver: menacing attack on R1, R2, or U (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's.

08:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 28 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 20.  Action surge attack R1, R2, or U with greatsword.
08:50, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 21 using 4d6+5 with rolls of 6,4,2,4.  Slashing damage (critical hit) to R1, R2, or U from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
08:51, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  Reroll the 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
08:51, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 9 using 2d8 with rolls of 2,7.  Maneuver: menacing attack on R1, R2, or U (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's.

08:55, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 14 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 6.  Action surge extra attack R1, R2, or U with greatsword.
08:56, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d8 with rolls of 2.  If an SD available: maneuver: precision attack on R1, R2, or U added to hit roll.
08:56, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 12 using 2d6+5 with rolls of 6,1.  Slashing damage to R1, R2, or U from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
08:56, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5.  Reroll the 1 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.

Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 19 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 11 HP 32/32
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 18:23
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the room's inhabitants seemingly coming out via another exit, Kaabo headed toward the room in hope of gaining access to his component pouch, as his available spells were quite limited without it.
Makari
 player, 164 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 22:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari, seeing that former-water-snake had stepped away from his allies, stepped north a bit to see around the corner, past Gorm. Then he pointed his staff down the other hallway and spoke an arcane word. Two golden-green bolts from from the staff down the hallway. Then Makari quickly stepped back past Gorm again, getting out of the way.

Movement: Step 15 feet north, Action, then step 15 ft back south.
Action: Eldritch Blast on Reaver (or whoever is still up after Morg's done.

16:41, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 14,13,27,8 using d20+8,d10+5,d20+8,d10+5 with rolls of 6,8,19,3.  Eldritch Blasts.

Landrin Flint
 player, 16 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 03:51
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin followed Kaabo into the room to also acquire his gear to be of better use to the group.

OOC: move into room and snatch up gear
DM
 GM, 1743 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 14:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg cuts down the two Reavers in front of him, then charges forward and around the corner, shouldering one of the remaining cultists out of the way before hacking at the fleeing water snake. As his greatsword falls a final time, the snake melts into formless water, seeping into the stone floor.

Seeing the enraged dwarf cutting down his companions, the priest flees backwards to the bridge before slinging more arcane energy at Morg.


Map updated!

Everyone is up now. Technically Makari takes his turn before the Reavers.

Morg can take an attack of opportunity against the Priest. Then you have to make a DC 13 Wisdom save or be paralyzed.

Round 3 Summary:

Makari ends Hunger of Hadar. He steps around the corner briefly and casts Eldritch Blast at CW Priest - HITS twice for 21 force. CW Priest makes his concentration save.

Reavers step around the corner. Two move and attack Morg - one HITS for 9 slashing

Morg uses Second Wind to heal 6 hp . He attacks Reaver 1 - HIT for 15 slashing + 6 from Menacing Attack. Reaver 1 is dead. Then he attacks Reaver 2 - CRIT for 16 slashing. Reaver 2 is dead. He then moves and uses Action Surge to attack Urshnora with Menacing Attack - CRIT for 20 slashing + 9. Urshnora Fails the Wisdom save and is frightened of Morg. His second attack HITS for an additional 16 slashing. Urshnora is dead.

Landrin goes into the barracks and begins collecting his things.

Gorm hangs out.

Kaabo goes into the barracks and begins collecting his things.

Magdrak hangs out.

CW Priest moves onto the bridge, triggering an attack of opportunity from Morg. He casts Hold Person at Morg. Morg must make a Wisdom save or be paralyzed.

Round 4 So Far:

Reavers: One disengages and moves onto the bridge, the other (out of Morg's reach) runs across the bridge and further into the cave.


Round 4 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22 
Reavers20 
Morg18 
Landrin14 
Gorm7 
Kaabo6 
Magdrak5 
CW Priest4Conc: Ex. Retreat

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:54, Sun 18 Apr.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 117 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 14:53
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Once there is a bear shaped path around the corner Gorm follows the fleeing enemies up the stairs and onto the ramp mauling them as she goes, seeking out first the one in the way with the weapons, then to pursue and harass the caster.
Morg Danforge
 player, 921 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 1sd8
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 14:54
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg slashes at the cultist running away, but is halted in place for a few seconds by its spell, before shaking himself free from it.
Reaction: opportunity attack vs Priest with greatsword - critical hit for 19 slashing damage.

If priest is still up, it takes 11 more slashing damage from crit maneuver: menacing attack, and Priest must make a WIS save DC16 or be frightened (it has disadv. on ability checks and attack rolls while I'm in their line of sight, and they can't willingly move closer to me) until the end of Morg's next turn.

If priest is still up, Hold person is cast on Morg who fails the initial WIS save with a 5, and is paralyzed.
Morg succeeds end of turn WIS save with 13 vs Hold person, and is not paralyzed anymore.

16:35, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 28 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 20.  Opportunity attack vs Priest with greatsword.
16:35, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 18 using 4d6+5 with rolls of 5,2,4,2.  Crit slashing damage to Priest from greatsword (reroll a 1 or 2 once).
16:35, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3.  Reroll first 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
16:36, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 2 using 1d6 with rolls of 2.  Reroll second 2 with Great weapon fighting fighting style.
16:36, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 11 using 2d8 with rolls of 5,6.  Crit Maneuver: menacing attack on Priest (WIS save vs DC 16) or be frightened until end of M's next.

16:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 4.  Wisdom save DC13 vs Priest's Hold person or be paralyzed.
16:42, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 13 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 12.  End of turn Wisdom save DC13 against Hold person.

Edit: correction: precision attack used up the last superiority die before the opportunity attack happened.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Sun 18 Apr.

Landrin Flint
 player, 17 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 15:15
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin throws his pack over his shoulder and grabs his two hand crossbows to walk back to the others seeing enemies fleeing farther into the cave.

OOC: grabs gear and readies both crossbows as he follows the others after the fleeing cultists.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 20 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 14 HP 32/32
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 18:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo grabbed the pouch that contained his spell components, and left the rest for the time being. He ran out the western exit, hoping to come up behind the cultists and set some of them ablaze. Seeing that he was too late for that and everyone was rushing westward after them, Kaabo pulled a strip of leather from the pouch and flapped it back and forth across the knuckles of his left hand as he spoke a few words imbued with his will to fuel the spell's effect.

cast Mage Armor, move as far as I can getting my stuff and as far as I can off to the west afterward if there's any movement remaining

This message was last edited by the player at 03:35, Fri 23 Apr.

Makari
 player, 167 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 19:17
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari watched as the newly-freed former-prisoners start to grab and ready their gear. He smiled slightly and gave a nod to himself. He heard the battle moving farther away from him. He gave a little sigh and hustled around the corner and down the hall a bit so he could lay eyes on one of their enemies...then he performed the same gesture and incantation to let fly two more of his magical force bolts.

OOC: Daaaang, look at those damage rolls!!

Move up to, and then past the corner and in to the hall to see some baddies if possible.

13:14, Today: Secret Roll: Makari rolled 13,15,26,14 using d20+8,d10+5,d20+8,d10+5 with rolls of 5,10,18,9.  Eldritch Blasts vs Priest?

Magdrak
 player, 163 posts
Mon 19 Apr 2021
at 05:48
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak shakes his head after the momentarily lapse.  He roars a challenge and charges after the fleeing enemies, dashing at the greatest speed that he can manage.



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move to stairs (50 ft)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1746 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 18:07
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Two more cultists fall to the party's attacks. The remaining Reaver in sight flees further into the cavern.


Map updated!

Everyone is up now, if anyone wants to chase. Technically Makari takes his turn before the Reavers.


Round 4 Summary:

Makari casts Eldritch Blast at Priest - HIT once for 9 force. Priest is dead.

Reavers: One disengages and moves onto the bridge, the other (out of Morg's reach) runs across the bridge and further into the cave.

Morg is paralyzed but passes his save at the end of his turn and is no longer paralyzed.

Landrin collects gear.

Gorm moves to the bridge and attacks the remaining Reaver there - HIT twice for 16 damage. Reaver is dead.

Kaabo collects gear and casts Mage Armor, then leaves the room to the west.

Magdrak runs after the cultists.

Round 5 So Far:

The remaining Reaver flees further into the cavern.


Round 5 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22 
Reavers20 
Morg18 
Landrin14 
Gorm7 
Kaabo6 
Magdrak5 

Landrin Flint
 player, 22 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 20:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin has his gear finally ready minus his armor and heads up the rear with hand crossbows at the ready.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 21 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 14 HP 32/32
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 21:25
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
With the enemies on the move and not in line of sight, Kaabo rushed after them.

Move & Dash to the west
Morg Danforge
 player, 925 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 0sd8
Sun 25 Apr 2021
at 17:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg sees one of the cultists run away, and leaves it for the long range folk. He enters the room where they came from, tells the former prisoners in there about the running cultist, and searches around under the bedding and other items.
Move: 25' into room where cultists were.

Action: search room: Perception 5 (passive 14).

19:37, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 5 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 1.  Perception check, searching room 7.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:39, Sun 25 Apr.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 118 posts
Sun 25 Apr 2021
at 18:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Both decent in a chase and mostly useless with prisoners the bear launches herself after the fleeing raider, faster than most humans can run but also big and not quite as agile.
Makari
 player, 171 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Tue 27 Apr 2021
at 02:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari stepped forward and began looking this way and that for any more of the enemies - but none were in sight. Some of his allies were clearly in the thought of giving chase and he glanced at them, "Leave no reaver unturned, eh? What if they lead us in to a trap?"

He moved forward after them, however, despite his words.

OOC: Move and Dash I guess.
DM
 GM, 1748 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 28 Apr 2021
at 01:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear lumbers her way across the bridge, awkwardly shouldering past the other members of the party, trying to catch up with the remaining Reaver. most of the rest of the group follows her, though Morg stays behind to begin searching the room.

The dwarf finds regular belongings scattered across the floor, illuminated by smoking sconces on the walls. Dice scattered across the floor and other belongings make the room difficult to pick through, and it's clear it will take some time to perform a thorough search.

As the bear and the others make their way across the bridge, more of this part of the cavern becomes visible. A stout closed door sits in the wall just over the bridge, and the ruins of a room to the southwest of the bridge ends in a door on the far side. A 30 foot corridor leads west between them, leading to a well-lit courtyard where stands what looks like a fountain from this distance.


Map updated!

Everyone is up now.


Round 5 Summary:

Makari double moves.

The remaining Reaver flees further into the cavern.

Morg moves into the cultists' barracks and begins searching.

Landrin leaves the room and follows the group outside.

Gorm double moves across the bridge in pursuit of the remaining Reaver.

Kaabo leaves the room and follows the group outside.

Magdrak is on the bridge.


Round 6 Initiative Order:

WhoInitStatus
Makari22 
Reavers20 
Morg18Inspiration
Landrin14 
Gorm7Inspiration
Kaabo6Mage Armor
Magdrak5Inspiration

Morg Danforge
 player, 926 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 0sd8
Wed 28 Apr 2021
at 07:49
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg adds the cultists dice to his knucklebone dice, and leaves the room heading to the rest of the party.

"Can everyone see in the dark?" he asks, and keeps an eye out for anything indicating a mechanism for a trap on the bridge.
Interaction: take and stow dice.

Move: 25' to party.

Look: 23 Perception check for traps.

Action: Dash 25' to party (unless the Perception check is considered a search which is an action).

09:46, Today: Morg Danforge rolled 23 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 19.  Perception check for bridge trap.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:51, Wed 28 Apr.

Landrin Flint
 player, 23 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Wed 28 Apr 2021
at 17:40
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin nodded. “I can see in the dark and prefer to hide in the shadows.”He made sure to take aim across the other side of the bridge in case there were any hidden attackers.
Makari
 player, 172 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Thu 29 Apr 2021
at 02:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari headed a bit farther across the way but then slowed down. It looked like there were doors and rooms ahead and he didn't want to get caught ahead of those that preferred to be in close combat range.

He looked around slowly for any hints of danger.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 119 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2021
at 04:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Although not carrying a torch the bear seems reasonably comfortable wandering into the dark sniffing at the ground, although she does slow down considerably from the lunging charge used in brightly lit combat situations.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 22 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 14 HP 32/32
Fri 30 Apr 2021
at 05:02
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo follows along as best his little legs can. His gnome eyes could handle darkness if they needed to.

move & dash, but don't get in front of the bear
Magdrak
 player, 165 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2021
at 06:27
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak continues to dash after the enemies, now following the bear as it passes him by.  He grumbles to himself.  "Darned thing is fast, too fast for short legs."



OOC:

Dash (Action)
Move off stairs (50 ft)


Current HP: 43/51
Current HD: 3/5 (d10)
Lay on Hands: 20/25
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Current Spells:
1st: 2/4
2nd: 0/2
Heavy Armor Master (DR 3/magic)

DM
 GM, 1749 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 30 Apr 2021
at 22:06
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The group moves more cautiously across the bridge, approaching the brightly lit square room ahead. An ancient fountain shaped like three dancing merfolk stands in the middle of the court, illuminated by torches set in bronze wall sconces as in the rest of the lighted areas of the cavern. The fountain looks dry from a distance, and the sculpture has been badly damaged - two of the merfolk are missing their arms, and the third is missing her head.

Hallways lead north and south. A glimmer of torchlight comes from the north, and only darkness is visible to the south.

A door to the northwest is covered with painted glyphs and images with aquatic motifs, marred by long scratches that obscure their meaning.


Map updated!

Since we seem to be pretty much out of initiative for the time being, we can revert to standard 'exploring mode'.

Round 6 Summary:

Makari moves across the bridge and looks around.

Morg grabs some dice, leaves the room, and double-moves onto the bridge.

Landrin stays on the near side of the bridge.

Gorm moves slowly forward towards the fountain, sniffing the ground.

Kaabo double moves after the bear.

Magdrak double moves after the bear.

Gorm Hareth
 player, 120 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2021
at 23:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Still advancing slowly, clearly tracking a number of different scents some of which may be less than appetizing, the bear turns south and wanders into the darkened hallway rather than bother with the door or follow the light away from whatever trail she has found.
Makari
 player, 173 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 1 May 2021
at 00:43
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari wrinkled his nose a bit and looked back and forth. "Do you...?" He shook his head. "Do you smell that?" He seemed to be sniffing and trying to figure out how to put it in to words. "Something musty...but then something just...terrible...near the door up there..." He gave a sharp nod towards the door to the north.
Morg Danforge
 player, 927 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 0sd8
Sun 2 May 2021
at 10:22
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg continues west, trying to snuff any light sources he can.
Landrin Flint
 player, 24 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Mon 3 May 2021
at 09:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin does his best to stick to the shadows and covers their flank.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 23 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 14 HP 32/32
Mon 3 May 2021
at 14:38
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo continued to follow the others, staying near the middle of the pack.
DM
 GM, 1750 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Wed 5 May 2021
at 19:14
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The bear continues into the passageway leading south. The trail of the reaver seems to continue to west at the forked passageway ahead.

Faint sounds of muffled activity can be heard from the north passageway as the rest of the group approaches the fountain square.
Morg Danforge
 player, 928 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 0sd8
Wed 5 May 2021
at 21:05
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg follows Gorm, continuing to get rid of any light sources.
Makari
 player, 174 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Wed 5 May 2021
at 22:11
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari heading after the group, but paused and looked northward, once he was close enough, since there sounds coming from there. He kept a wary eye, and ear, that way as he continued to follow along with the group.

He certainly wasn't keen on facing enemies by himself. "I hear something coming from that way as well," he indicated northwards. "Should we leave that to our backs and continue on after our foe?"
Landrin Flint
 player, 25 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Thu 6 May 2021
at 06:31
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin stayed close to the rear of the group keeping an eye out should this turn into an ambush.
DM
 GM, 1751 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Fri 7 May 2021
at 21:04
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
The invisible trail Gorm follows appears to lead over a bridge ahead.


Map updated!
Morg Danforge
 player, 929 posts
 dwarf,mountain AC16 1insp
 fighter5 BM 0as 0sw 0sd8
Sat 8 May 2021
at 08:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Morg keeps following Gorm, trying to get rid of any light sources along the way.
Gorm Hareth
 player, 121 posts
Sat 8 May 2021
at 08:33
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Perfectly comfortable navigating these wide bridges Gorm just keeps going, skipping over the water to pick up the trail on the other side where it is not as disguised by other scents.
Kaabo Roulnar
 player, 24 posts
 Evocation Wizard
 AC 14 HP 32/32
Sat 8 May 2021
at 14:47
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Kaabo follows along as well, being sure to let the more physically-inclined members go in front of him for the inevitable ambush.
Landrin Flint
 player, 26 posts
 Human Harper
 Gloom Stalker Ranger
Sat 8 May 2021
at 19:21
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Landrin followed behind letting the others lead since they knew the layout better.
Makari
 player, 175 posts
 AC 16 HP 32/41 PP 16
 Rise up. Break free.
Sat 8 May 2021
at 22:20
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Makari frowned. Apparently no one cared about the other noises coming from the other way, but instead just wanted to follow the bear. He let out a sigh. He disliked being ignored, but he was used to it from growing up.

He shrugged and headed after the others, but kept glancing back occasionally.
Magdrak
 player, 166 posts
Sun 9 May 2021
at 05:01
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
Magdrak continues following the bear, though he occasionally glances back behind him at the room with the fountain.  "Hope the thing knows where it is going..."
DM
 GM, 1752 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 10 May 2021
at 02:30
Re: Day 10 - Leavetakings and Arrivals
As Gorm approaches the bridge, the remainder of the party follows closely behind. A twenty foot wide canal here leads between ancient masonry walls into darkness. The water moves sluggishly, indicating a weak current. Torchlight flickers in the distance, across the bridge.

With the bear's first steps onto the bridge, a freakishly tall form emerges from the water beneath the bridge. Its green skin is spotted with bulbous outgrowths that resemble barnacles, and black seaweed clings to its shoulders and limbs. Its hands are webbed between viscous looking claws, and the claws on its webbed feet scrape against the stone as it climbs up the stairs leading up to the far end of the bridge.

Baring grim, black teeth, it hollers at Gorm. [Language unknown: