Day 1 - Main Adventure Start.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Morg Danforge
 player, 26 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 18:54
Re: Day 1
"Bandits?" Morg said, slowly smiling, "Hells, that sounds like something I'd tackle for free... if, I didn't need the coin... whichIdo, soIwon't."

"Jaaak!"
he said seeing him cross the street to the tavern. "Wanna go serenade a bunch of bandits? Also, do you know what that explosion was earlier?"


This message was last edited by the player at 18:58, Thu 20 Oct 2016.

DM
 GM, 96 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 21:00
Re: Day 1
Mayon - what you know of magical plagues in general is that they do exist, but you're not sure who or what causes them. The ignorant are often quick to blame plagues on evildoers, fell magic, or superstition though, and magical plagues are less frequent than natural ones.

I'm going to post Jak entering the tavern to keep things moving along - but feel free to post catch-up actions and stuff before entering.

Jak finds the tavern almost directly across the street. It is not much to look at from the outside - a ramshackle two-story tavern, with rusty metal grills covering its small, dirty windows. The name of the tavern, The Helm at Highsun, is clearly printed in large, simple letters on both sides of a jutting wooden sign. Above the sign is a rusting, oversized adornment: a warrior's bucket helm with two eye slits.

Entering with whatever companions accompany him, Jak finds a large, dimly lit taproom with wood-paneled walls. He pauses a few beats to take in the surroundings.

The place is packed full of diners, drinkers, and loiterers, as well as a couple servers who busy themselves bringing food and drink to patrons. There still remain several empty tables here and there, however. Also, an open-tread wooden staircase leads up to a second floor, which looks as dim and darkly paneled as the taproom but which promises more room.

Across the back wall is a long bar with three copper candle-lanterns hanging over it. A jovial man stands behind the bar, busily handing out drinks and laughing at patrons' jests. Another man, rotund and with a slight frown on his face, stands behind the bar.

A few patrons sit at the bar itself. Among them, a short older man sits listening to a thin man speaking to him animatedly. Squinting, Jak thinks the latter has some white flour on his face and clothes.

A large, burly man is seated at a table not far away, eating dinner and drinking water from a cup. His four companions, large men and women themselves, seem absorbed mostly in their meals, though they occasionally exchange words with each other or look around the tavern.

The rest of the patrons look like farmers just passing through town, though one group stands out. Covered in what looks like grey dust, they sit at a table away from the bar. Each of them has a set of tools of some kind around their belts.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:25, Thu 27 Oct 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 38 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 01:10
Re: Day 1
Verthel Go'Van:
"We can go check it out, I suppose," Verthel says. "If indeed it is fell magic, my divine duty would be to cleanse it and allow this place to rest peacefully."


"It very well could be fell magic." Mayon agrees softly. "They're not common, but they do happen...not entirely sure what could be causing it though. A spell gone wrong, some sort of infernal beast, perhaps even one of your Gates could be the cause. Who knows? It's certainly worth investigating."

He glances over at Bramwell, noticing the man's own investigating of the ruined yard. "What do you think, um...I, I don't believe I got your name?" He had noticed the man's keen scholarly interest and figures a second opinion can't hurt.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 15 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 03:30
Re: Day 1
Jak smirked a little at the sign above. Once he stepped inside, he looked around the new tavern with a discerning eye. Most of it was a welcome sight, and gave him a feeling of familiarity. The dim lighting enveloped him like an old lover.

He slowly surveyed the room and its inhabitants. The frowning man behind the bar was a bit curious. He idly wondered what that meant. The burly man and his companions could be guards or thugs or even possibly adventurers, though Jak doubted the last. He did note the group that looked like miners or possibly quarry workers, and made a mental note about that.

He walked up to the bar with a slight smile on his face and when the jovial man eventually notice him, Jak smiled wider. "Hey there! I'd like an ale and some dinner please! Are the tables upstairs open?"

He then hooked a thumb towards the men covered in grey dust. "Are those dust-covered people miners or something? They look like hard workers."
Garlen Harlathurl
 NPC, 1 post
 Owner/Tavern-keeper
 The Helm at High Sun
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 16:08
Re: Day 1
"Greetings traveler, welcome to the Helm!" the man says to Jak with a smile. "Aye, there's room upstairs as like as not. 5 silver for the meal & ale, and I'll have someone bring them up to you. I'm Garlen if you need anything."

He glances at the nearby men that the bard indicates. "Hard work maybe, but not long hours. Those are stonecutters from down at Mellikho's. They been comin' in here early most days, before the sun goes down, scared of some kinda hooded figures they say they saw a month or two back. In here drownin' their sorrows I suppose, but I'll serve em an' take their coin no matter the reason," he finishes with a wry smile.

For anyone who wants to pay for dinner & ale I'll add 5 sp to your tab in the Loot thread. You can alternatively have crumblecake at the inn for free if you're hard up for cash or no one pays your tab, though none of you have any idea how good (or bad) 'crumblecake' would be for a dinner. =)

This is probably obvious, but just a note: it's up to you all how much time you spend in the inn & the tavern. It's a sandbox adventure after all, so feel free to talk more to NPCs & each other, go to bed, check out other stuff in town, head out right away to investigate the rumors you've heard, or something else entirely, as you like. ;)

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Sat 22 Oct 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 19 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 19:10
Re: Day 1
Mayon Graycross:
He glances over at Bramwell, noticing the man's own investigating of the ruined yard. "What do you think, um...I, I don't believe I got your name?" He had noticed the man's keen scholarly interest and figures a second opinion can't hurt.

Bram had been entirely absorbed with scribbling in his journal as the innkeeper described the recent troubles, and he startled slightly when Mayon addressed him.  "Oh!  Hello, there.  My name is Bramwell Caulder, a pleasure to make your acquaintance."  He paused in thoughtful consideration before answering the question, "There seem to be a great deal of uncanny incidents troubling Red Larch.  Natural elements springing up in unexpected places.  It is quite unusual, and there is much to be investigated.  It is hard to know where one might begin.  Do you intend to travel to this Lance Rock?"

Bram idly strolled over to the boulder the makeshift kitchen had been arranged around, walking a slow circle around it.  As he looked he asked Kaylessa, "Pardon, ma'am, but what was that you said about a ghost seen near an old tomb?  Where might this tomb be found?  Also, I'll try some of that crumblecake, when it's ready."
Kaylessa Irkell
 NPC, 10 posts
 Innkeeper
 Swinging Sword
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 21:18
Re: Day 1
Kaylessa pauses in the cleanup effort to send one of her staff inside. "The crumblecakes were made a few days ago thankfully - it'll just be a minute to bring them out to anyone who wants some."

"I'm not sure exactly where the tomb is, but I don't think it's far outside of town - maybe a mile or two, towards the Hills to the northeast. Shouldn't be hard to find. Pell, the girl who saw the ghost, could probably tell you exactly where it is though. She's usually at her grandmother's poultry business with her parents." She taps her lips. "Oh, and I think Mangobarl Lorren, the baker, went to check it out a few days ago. He could probably tell you too.

She smiles. "It's very nice of all of you to think of investigating these things for us. I might be able to see my way to rewarding you for it, if you decide to go."

When the crumblecake loaves arrive they look - edible. "They're made with turkey, chicken scraps, nuts, chickpeas, and some roots and greens, all mashed together and baked," Kaylessa explains. "Red Larch is known for them as far as Waterdeep!"
Asano Breathkill
 player, 20 posts
 Half-Elf
 Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 22:30
Re: Day 1
Morg Danforge:
"Jaaak!" he said seeing him cross the street to the tavern. "Wanna go serenade a bunch of bandits? Also, do you know what that explosion was earlier?"



"Looks like he didn't hear you," Asano says, watching Morg's apparent companion enter the Helm. "The Helm probably offers decent fare, we can eat there and find out if the rest of your friends would like to aid in my endeavor." He holds the door for the warrior.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:30, Sat 22 Oct 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 39 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 23:03
Re: Day 1
quote:
Bram had been entirely absorbed with scribbling in his journal as the innkeeper described the recent troubles, and he startled slightly when Mayon addressed him.  "Oh!  Hello, there.  My name is Bramwell Caulder, a pleasure to make your acquaintance."  He paused in thoughtful consideration before answering the question, "There seem to be a great deal of uncanny incidents troubling Red Larch.  Natural elements springing up in unexpected places.  It is quite unusual, and there is much to be investigated.  It is hard to know where one might begin.  Do you intend to travel to this Lance Rock?"


"Mayon Graycross. And yes, I do. The people here have been kind, and I have to admit that things of this nature are of an interest to me." Mayon says in response.

He glances over at the crumblecakes that Kaylessa brings out, and gives the innkepeer a smile. "I'll take one as well then, Miss." He makes a note of the names she mentions. Best to piece together what he can before doing anything reckless.
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 25 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Sun 23 Oct 2016
at 15:39
Re: Day 1
"That sounds like an interesting meal," Verthel says. "I suppose I'll take some of that crumblecake. Does it keep well on the road?"

He looks to Mayon and Asano. "It seems we are in agreement. We go to this crypt, and flush out whatever madness has taken hold there." He laughs. "You know, it's funny. I barely just got here, ready to settle in, and now I'm planning to go out into the cold again. It truly seems as though the Lady does not wish me out of her embrace for too long."
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 16 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Sun 23 Oct 2016
at 18:14
Re: Day 1
Jak gave Garlen a nod of agreement. "Sounds good t'me!" He carefully and discreetly fished out five silvers and slid them across the barop to Garlen. "Pleased t'meetcha, Garlen. I'm Jak."

He glanced over at the workers pointed out. "Stonecutters. Hooded figures? That sounds ominous. You know what? A round of ale for them on me please." He waited until the ale was about ready and then headed over to the table of stonecutters.

"Good evening! I noticed you might be gettin' a bit light on ale so I ordered a round for you, on me. I'm Jakrynn, by the way, but you can call me Jak." He glanced at one of the open chairs. "Mind if I join you for a little bit? I'm new in town, just arrived tonight, but I'll try not t'overstay my welcome." He gave them all a friendly smile.
Kaylessa Irkell
 NPC, 11 posts
 Innkeeper
 Swinging Sword
Sun 23 Oct 2016
at 20:19
Re: Day 1
Verthel Go'Van:
"I suppose I'll take some of that crumblecake. Does it keep well on the road?"

"Very well! It's perfect for travelers."


Those who partake in the crumblecake take their first bites and find the consistency rather tough and the flavor a bit bland, though the food is clearly very nourishing. However, after a few bites the cake leaves an odd burnt flavor in your mouth. You don't think it's gone bad per se, but it's difficult to hide the fact from Kaylessa that it tastes terrible.
DM
 GM, 97 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 18:02
Re: Day 1
The stonecutters eye Jak with suspicion when he approaches, but they relax when they see a serving woman carrying five mugs of ale to their table. "Much obliged, Jak," one of the group says as the other murmur their agreement. "Name's Stiofan. Please, sit." He motions to the empty seat.

When the ale arrives, the group toasts to Jak's generosity but otherwise remain largely closemouthed, focused on their meals.

After finishing his meal, Stiofan turns to Jak. "So you're new in town. Just passing through? All by yourself?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:06, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Morg Danforge
 player, 27 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 18:10
Re: Day 1
"First things first!" Morg says as he enters the tavern, and orders an ale for each hand.

After a big gulp from each, he looks for Jak, and sees him talking to stonecutters he recognizes from the familiar tools on their belts. He tilts his head to Asano and then juts out his chin to Jak and the group, before walking to them while taking another gulp.


This message was last edited by the player at 19:34, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

DM
 GM, 98 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 18:15
Re: Day 1
Stiofan just finishes his question when he sees Morg approaching. He raises his eyebrows and stiffens. "Friend of yours?" he asks Jak.
Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 17 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 19:01
Re: Day 1
Jak grinned at the stonecutters, especially once their demeanor changed with free ale. The quickest way to person's heart is through their stomach....or their back with a dagger. He'd learned some lessons the hard way.

"Pleased t'meetcha, Stiofan!" He took a seat next to the worker. He opened his mouth but was interrupted by Morg's arrival. "Heya, Morg! This is Stiofan. Stiofan, Morg Danforge. We just arrived in town with another friend of ours."

He took a sip of ale. "I thought we might be just passin' through, but it seems like this town is in need of help. An' aside from food, drink, women, sleep, money and music....the only other thing in the world I like is helpin' people." He looked at Stiofan seriously. "I hear you might be havin' a bit o'trouble that my friends an' I might be able t'help you with. The ale was free, don't feel obligated t'me for anythin'. But if you want t'tell us what's goin' on, if you want help, we're happy t'try an' help you. But if not, that's okay too an' enjoy the ale, okay?"

Unless Stiofan or the others spoke up, he would stand and start to head upstairs for an empty table.
Morg Danforge
 player, 28 posts
 mountain dwarf
 fighter 1
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 19:31
Re: Day 1
Morg doesn't put down a mug, but nods to Stiofan and the other four. "Well, if it's a wielded warhammer or war pick you need, I'll always help my fellow stonemasons."

"Do you know if the earlier explosion was from mining in the area? Felt like it, but didn't sound that way."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:35, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Mayon Graycross
 player, 40 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 20:04
Re: Day 1
Kaylessa Irkell:

"Very well! It's perfect for travelers."


Those who partake in the crumblecake take their first bites and find the consistency rather tough and the flavor a bit bland, though the food is clearly very nourishing. However, after a few bites the cake leaves an odd burnt flavor in your mouth. You don't think it's gone bad per se, but it's difficult to hide the fact from Kaylessa that it tastes terrible.


Though at first it isn't too much different from his packed travel rations, Mayon does cough a bit when he gets to the burned bits. Possibly from the fire, but it doesn't really change the fact...

"Thank you, Miss." He smiles weakly, trying to be polite and not hurt the innkeeper's feelings.


14:01, Today: Mayon Graycross rolled 7 using 1d20+5.  Deception.
I was trying to be polite and hide how bad it tasted. :P Ah well...it's the thought that counts?

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

DM
 GM, 99 posts
 Dungeon
 Master
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 20:15
Re: Day 1
The group perks up with Morg's arrival, greeting him warmly. "A Dwarven stonemason," a young blond-haired man across the table says with a smile, "I've heard tales of your work. Pleasure to meet you! I'd love to apprentice to your kind, your work with-" he stops short and blushes, looking at the others.

Stiofan smiles slightly at his companion's embarrassment. "I'm sure we'd all liked to have apprenticed with the dwarves, Riordan, there's no offense taken." He turns back to Jak and his smile fades.

"I assume you mean events in the quarry," he says quietly, glancing at his companions. They all look down at their food, though several of the them look as though they've lost their appetites.

Stiofan sighs. "When orders for her stone get backed up, Mellikho - she's the owner of the quarry, Albaeri Mellikho - she usually has some of us work a night shift by torchlight. But over the last month or two, we've all been spooked by some dark robed buggers. The first time it happened to me I didn't pay it any mind; I just thought it was my imagination. But we've all seen them in the shadows, just watching us, looking at us through some sort of stone-looking creepy masks."

He winces. "I know they don't do anything to us and it sounds like a child's ghost story, but after a while... well, when some of these other strange things started happening around here, most of us had trouble sleeping at night. So we decided to tell Mellikho that we wouldn't work the night shift any more." He takes a long pull of ale from his mug.

"Mellikho's not too pleased, and some of the townsfolk think we're jumping at shadows. But most of us sleep better at night now. Most of the time."

He turns back to Morg. "I'm not sure what you can do, but you look better equipped to handle strange figures in the night than we are. So, best of luck if you do decide to poke around the quarry, and our thanks to you." The stonemasons all nod agreement.

"I don't know where the explosion came from. Maybe it had something to do with the earthquake."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:38, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Kaylessa Irkell
 NPC, 12 posts
 Innkeeper
 Swinging Sword
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 20:32
Re: Day 1
Mayon Graycross:
"Thank you, Miss." He smiles weakly, trying to be polite and not hurt the innkeeper's feelings.

Kaylessa smiles back uncertainly, then nods to Mayon and goes back to picking up the yard.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:48, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Bramwell Caulder
 player, 21 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 Glyphscribe of Deneir
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 20:47
Re: Day 1
Bramwell thanks Kaylessa for the crumblecake and sets to eating it, chewing thoughtfully.  He nods, appreciating the heartiness of it at first, but a furrow forms on his brow as the burnt flavor sets in.  He swallows with a little difficulty and smiles to the innkeeper, hoping his distaste didn't show too much.

Once he'd finally choked down the meal he rose from his table and thanked Kaylessa for her hospitality as he shouldered his travel pack.  He said to Mayon, Verthel and whichever other prospective adventure companions may still be present at the Swinging Sword, "This rumor of specters by tombs is quite fascinating.  I must speak with the child witness as well as the baker to learn more, or else I doubt I'll manage to sleep tonight.  Any of you fellows are welcome to accompany me, if you're interested."

After inquiring after the locations of the poultry business and the bakery, Bram bade Kaylessa farewell and made his way toward whichever of the two contacts was closest.

OOC: I'm intending to speak to both Pell and Mangobarl Lorren about the ghost tonight
Mayon Graycross
 player, 41 posts
 Half Elf
 Warlock--Fey Pact
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 21:02
Re: Day 1
OOC: Mayon is just going to tag along with Bramwell if he and DM approve.
Kaylessa Irkell
 NPC, 13 posts
 Innkeeper
 Swinging Sword
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 21:14
Re: Day 1
Mayon Graycross:
OOC: Mayon is just going to tag along with Bramwell if he and DM approve.

Fine by me - sandbox away!



"Lorren's Bakery is right nearby, turn left out the front door, you can't miss it. Though Lorren himself may be at the Helm this time of evening."

"Mhandyvver's Poultry is t'other direction. Head through the middle of town and it'll be on your right before you hit the tannery. Can't miss it, but hold your nose when you get close, mind."


Red Larch map updated.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 21:45, Mon 24 Oct 2016.

Jakrynn Redgate
 player, 19 posts
 Young Human
 Bardly Rogue
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 21:27
Re: Day 1
Jak let out a small chuckle and muttered to himself. "Well, who knew a dwarf would work better than free ale?" He shook his head with mirth.

He spoke up to Morg in a louder voice, "I think the explosion was from across the street at the inn. Bram was lookin' in to it. I think it had somethin' t'do with...the earthquake causin'...somethin' to..." He frowned and shrugged. "I dunno."

He listened intently to what Stiofan had to say. He nodded at the end and slowly looked around the table at each of them. "Listen to me. You've nothin' t'be ashamed of. Your safety is important, an' everyone deserves the chance t'have a safe environment to work in." His lips twisted in to an ironic grin. "Well, those that want it. My work's a bit more dangerous, o'course. My friends an' I'll see what we can do t'help you out though if we can."

He started to stand, but hesitated and the hesitation was clear on his face. "Do...d'you think Mellikho would be interested in compensatin' us if we were t'make it safe for you all t'work at night again? I hate t'even ask but..." He glanced down at the ale and food on the table. "A growin' boy an' his friends have gotten eat after all, right?"
Verthel Go'Van
 player, 28 posts
 Drow Elf
 Cleric of Auril
Tue 25 Oct 2016
at 17:51
Re: Day 1
"Might as well, although I would very much like to check out the quarry, when there is time," Verthel said, following after Bramwell and Mayon.