The Camp Fire.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 14 posts
Sun 24 Apr 2016
at 20:43
The Camp Fire
The corporal clearly isn't happy about it but immediately signals for the other apprentices to fall back. The group backs off quickly and splits in half to take a knee on either side of the trail, leaving Jorath alone where he stood. Now out of sight of the Goblins the group can hear that at least a couple of them have come closer, one in particular is shouting something in a high pitched snarl. The corporals eyes narrow and he whispers just loud enough for the group to hear
"One of them is shouting for the ohers to shut up and is calling out to Jorath to lie down, that he is now their slave. He doesn't seem to have noticed the rest of us."
OOC: Game map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:48, Sun 24 Apr 2016.

Jorath
 player, 10 posts
 Monk
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 01:37
The Camp Fire
Jorath slowly walks down the road reverting back to the skills of childhood "DRIED MEAT FOR SALE! DRIED MEAT FOR SALE!" He will make a point of initially ignoring the goblins and will wave energetically to the farmers "hi bob you want your usual today?" Once the goblins get a bit closer he will jump a bit in surprise "oh hi didn't see you there, you want some dried meat, very good!"

Jorath will continue to be the ignorant twit he often is, continuing his sales pitch until the goblins either Attack or they get approx 20 to 30ft away from him.
Tarpin
 player, 7 posts
 Warmage
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 02:36
The Camp Fire
"Can't see them from here, Corporal," Tarpin whispered. "Time to move up and shoot them?"
Tarpin
 player, 8 posts
 Warmage
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 08:02
The Camp Fire
"Daelan, sneak a bit closer so you can see and signal when we should all rush up and shoot them," Tarpin urged the scout.

Then quietly as he could, Tarpin spoke the words of a spell.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 18 posts
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 14:43
The Camp Fire
Hearing the goblins getting closer to Jorath the Corporal nods to Tarpin. "Yep, time to move up and shoot them. Apprentices, advance!" The ten goblins moving forward are intent on Jorath and are taken completely by surprise by the appearance of well armed soldiers, none more so than the goblin on the path punched off his feet by the corporals arrow.
Daelan
 player, 22 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 13/13
Mon 25 Apr 2016
at 18:51
The Camp Fire
In reply to The Watchful Prescience (msg # 32):

Deelan Readies her spear, able to strike from between her allies formation.
Jorath
 player, 11 posts
 Monk
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 11:27
The Camp Fire
Jorath laughs at the fallen goblin "Looks like he got the point... I guess I should follow the arrow towards the right direction" he rushes forward letting out a battle roar before slamming his fist square in the other goblins face.

"Burn in hell you monsters!"
Tarpin
 player, 9 posts
 Warmage
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 12:27
The Camp Fire
Tarpin moves forward at the same pace as the rest of the apprentices, maintaining his position in their ranks. If they pause to fire at the goblins then he does the same with his light crossbow.

OOC: He probably only hit a goblin's shield.
Tarpin rolled 12 using 1d20+2.  Shoot crossbow at a goblin.
Tarpin rolled 6 using 1d8.  Damage on goblin if crossbow bolt hit.

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 19 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 14:28
The Camp Fire
The corporals shot seems to stun everyone on the field, everyone except Jorath. Surging forward he launches a punch that indents the ugly little creatures features and leaves it unconscious several feet away. Suddenly the spell is broken and everyone moves at once. The corporal yells "soldiers, fire!" and whips off two arrows. The six apprentices take a knee, brace the crossbows on their shields and open fire. Daelan braces a spear over her wall, Tarpin launches a bolt over his, the goblins near the farmers hurl javelins and the ones nearest Jorath charge, screaming and waving their wicked little morning stars.

As bolts and javellins hurtle in all directions Jorath meets the charge of the goblins. In an impressive display of agility he swerves around two attacks, blocks one with a fore arm and the last with a quick stamp of his right foot. When all the missiles have found their marks four more goblins lie bleeding in the dirt and one javelin managed to graze an apprentice.

With four goblins engaged in melee with Jorath and the other six clearly wavering the corporal coldly orders "soldiers, reload."

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:12, Tue 26 Apr 2016.

Daelan
 player, 23 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 13/13
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 15:43
The Camp Fire
In reply to The Watchful Prescience (msg # 36):

Well I'm useless with the archers, run up and stab the goblin immediatly north of jorath.

Today: Daelan rolled 12,4,2 using 1d20+4,1d6+3,1d6. attack goblin.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Tue 26 Apr 2016.

Tarpin
 player, 10 posts
 Warmage
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 15:46
The Camp Fire
Tarpin frowns as he sees Jorath virtually surrounded by goblins.

"Four against one? That's hardly fair, is it?" he murmurs indignantly.

He dips two fingers into a belt pouch then flicks a sprinkle of fine sand in Jorath's direction as he recites an incantation.

Then he reloads his light crossbow as ordered.
Jorath
 player, 12 posts
 Monk
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 23:36
The Camp Fire
Jorath, boosted by his success pummelling the first goblin into a pulp, continues his assault on a fresh goblin. "How dare you Attack innocent people!"

Jorath's training shows him an opening in the goblins defences and an open palm strike finds the goblins neck.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 20 posts
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 14:40
The Camp Fire
The tide of the battle has truly turned. Jorath delivers a punishing karate chop that leaves his foe unconscious and wheezing. As Tarpin draws from his arcane studies Daelan vaults her shield wall and charges the closest goblin. While it appears that Daelans attack is off course two of the goblins are overcome with the magic and lie down, one gets comfortable and snores while the other one lies down onto the sharp end of Daelans spear. As three of the goblins drop the fourth is punched off its feet by one of the corporals arrows.

Dropping their remaining javellins the six goblins surrounding the farmers cower as the second volley of crossbow bolts whizz around them. Seeing three goblins go down hard three of the farmers seize tools from their hand cart and charge. Sadly their enthusiasm is not met with success as all fail to hit though one of the goblins does manage to crack one of the farmers across his knee causing him to howl in pain and anger.
Tarpin
 player, 11 posts
 Warmage
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 15:51
The Camp Fire
"Take the sleeping goblin as a prisoner!" Tarpin shouts over the noise of the fight. "We can interrogate him later."

Tarpin waits until the apprentice on his right (i.e. south) either fires or moves then he dashes forward (angling 10ft south and 25ft east so he is out of the line of fire of the other apprentices). Then he stops and recites another brief incantation to send a glowing golden bolt of arcane energy to slam into one of the southern two goblins.

OOC: Tarpin rolled 3 using 1d4+2.  Magic missile at goblin.
Daelan
 player, 24 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 13/13
Wed 27 Apr 2016
at 16:20
The Camp Fire
In reply to Tarpin (msg # 41):

Daelan runs down the road to the farmers.
Jorath
 player, 13 posts
 Monk
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 03:59
The Camp Fire
Jorath will move up with daelan to finish the fight
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 22 posts
Thu 5 May 2016
at 12:24
The Camp Fire
The last three conscious goblins are dropped in quick succession. The small streak of force from Tarpin rocks a goblin and leaves him open to the corporals deadly shot. A devastating punch delivered by a charging monk puts down one goblin and before the last goblin realizes he's the last goblin Daelans spear thrusts under his shield, killing him instantly. Seeing the last of the enemy goblins fall the farmers, cheer, cry from relief and praise both you and the Lord of Light for your timely intervention.

Snapping out orders the corporal organizes the rest of the apprentices to secure the area. He sends four out, one in each direction as look outs and tasks the other two to secure the sleeping goblin. "Apprentice Tarpin, supervise the restraints of the ensorcelled enemy and the search of their fallen. Their attack on our civilian populace warrants their execution, through blade or exposure, deal with them as you see fit." He will also check the apprentice who was wounded by the javelin, seeing that the wound is relatively minor he will instruct the man to bind it and see apprentice Daelan when the area is secure. He will then walk to the farmers to over see Jorath, Daelan and the goblins there.
Tarpin
 player, 12 posts
 Warmage
Thu 5 May 2016
at 15:17
The Camp Fire
"Okay guys, you heard the corporal. Who's best at tying knots? A couple of us will hold that sleeping goblin while you tie him up nice and secure. Then you can search the rest of the goblins for anything valuable or useful, or which might tell us anything about them and why they are here. I'll ask the sleeper when he wakes up but let's find out anything you can from the rest of them in case he proves stubborn."
Jorath
 player, 14 posts
 Monk
Sat 7 May 2016
at 00:14
The Camp Fire
Jorath will see to the farmers initially. He will make see if any are injured and will offer liquid care if the injuries are serious enough. If not he will help them bind any wounds and offer water and dried meat to those that want it or until he runs out. While doing so he will chat to the farmers So what direction did the goblins come in from? Have you seen any more groups of goblins in the area? They deserve to be punished for this.

Once he has done that he will help in searching the goblins for gear and possibly clues, often checking with daelan to see if anything he finds could be a clue.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:17, Sat 07 May 2016.

Daelan
 player, 26 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 13/13
Sat 7 May 2016
at 01:14
The Camp Fire
In reply to Jorath (msg # 46):

Daelan rolled 14,15,26,20,9 using 5d20+7 with rolls of 7,7,19,13,2.  Heal checks.

Using the bandages they had with them, Daelan treats the farmers and injured arms men.

"I suggest a catch and release strategy, once the little brat wakes up and realizes we 'left' he will go scurring off to wherever there are more. We are close enough the villagers should make it back with no issues, or we can assign a guard detail, which can take back our report."
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 23 posts
Sun 8 May 2016
at 11:28
The Camp Fire
The farmers are grateful for the assistance and only require bandages - the one with the injured knee seems to fear the magical potion and instead organizes with the others to be taken back to town in one of the hand carts. When the corporal arrives a young lady tells him that her and three of the others are the Tallow family. She points to the fifth peasant, a young man she says is Cailon Hatch. With an air of despair Cailon will describe how the Goblins came in the night, burning and looting. Seeing the numbers coming through the burning fields his father had ordered him to warn the nearest farm while he had gone to try to get the rest of the family. The last Cailon had seen as he cleared a hill was the family being dragged out and put in shackles. Cailon is determined to get back to town and join the militia. The corporal seems to come to a decision as Cailon speaks. Striding away he will gesture for Jorath and Daelan to join him.

"Mr Hatch, Tallow family, we will escort you back to town. Gather your belongings and head up the road as soon as you are ready. Apprentice Daelan, your plan has merit, however I believe that the numbers we would find would be far too great for us to handle. I have a feeling that more than isolated raiders these might be the out riders of a sizeable army." Once he has reached Tarpin he will nod his satisfaction to the apprentices who have bound and gagged the goblin "Apprentices Jorath, Daelan and Tarpin, report."
Daelan
 player, 27 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 13/13
Sun 8 May 2016
at 18:43
The Camp Fire
In reply to The Watchful Prescience (msg # 48):

"Goblins were well armed, but ill trained and acting on impulse. Suggests these were scouts acting outside of authority's watch for a larger group, along with the lack of mounts suggests theses were a vanguard force."


And the best place for a ambush is where you think they think allies are.
Tarpin
 player, 13 posts
 Warmage
Mon 9 May 2016
at 11:23
The Camp Fire
Tarp in reported to the corporal that the prisoner is secure. Most of their gear is poor quality but one of them had this gold and jade crocodile amulet under his scarf. Do you mind if I keep it as a souvenir? I will try to find out if anyone recognises it and will try to detect magic to see if it has any other significance.

As soon as he can Tarpin will question the goblin. He speaks the goblin language so is able to communicate easily. Where did they come from? Why are they here? Who sent them? Where would prisoners be taken?
Jorath
 player, 15 posts
 Monk
Mon 9 May 2016
at 11:56
The Camp Fire
Jorath does not have much to add to the others reports, he produces the opal ring that he found on one of the goblins and will pass it to tarpin for safe keeping and identification. He will also produce the four sturdy lengths of iron chain, locks and keys suggesting that they could be used to secure the prisoner during transport or provided to the militia to boost supplies we can find no ther need for them.

He will assist tarpin in interrogating the prisoner, providing a light 'jog to his memory' if he refuses to talk
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 24 posts
Sun 15 May 2016
at 04:24
The Camp Fire
Both Tarpin and the corporal can speak the Goblin tongue but after a few minutes of abuse and curses the Corporal will gag the goblin and order Jorath to apply chains to it and have it transported back to Stronghorn in the second of the two farmers carts. Looking at the various items the three have found he nods at Tarpin. "These goblin trinkets disgust me, feel free to keep them as spoils of war. It is best you examine that amulet, I would guess that it is indeed magical." He will then whistle to get the posted sentries attention and will gesture for them to come to him. Very quickly he will organise the farmers and the apprentices into a column. With news of the target Hatch family and the Tallow family in tow he is eager to get them back to the safety of Mightyhorn.

The return trip to Mightyhorn takes just over an hour and the group grows as it picks up a couple of other small groups of straggling farmers and their cattle. Each had stayed to work their farms but the sounds of raids and fires in the night had convinced them to flee to safety. Upon returning to town the farmers are resettled where ever room can be found and any able bodied workers are sent to help increase the towns defences. There are now several more streamers of smoke on the horizon and from the grim faces of the townsfolk it is now clear that war is on their door step. In the middle of the afternoon the sergeant returns to town. Several of the apprentices are wounded and are sent to the towns healers, as well as several farmers the group was also escorting a half dozen humans of mixed parentage. Pale skinned, poorly clothed and bearing the scars of shackles and years of mistreatment the half dozen are lead off to the cells of the town watch. The Sergeant will give orders that they are to be fed and properly clothed and to send for him when the local priest of the lord of light is available. He will then head off with the corporal to interrogate the captive goblin.

Several hours later there is a summons for all of the apprentices, the heads of the the church, the guild, the watch and the mayor to attend the town hall.

Story to be continued in the thread "The Town of Stronghorn".