The Camp Fire.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 3 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 20:48
The Camp Fire
For the last four days Sergeant Agris, Scholar Ormin and Corporal Dan of the Reconnaissance Company have pushed the apprentices hard. Each days morning of marches and afternoons of field craft with the Corporal, theory with the scholar and staff drill with the sergeant have left most of the apprentices at days end content to unload the supply wagon, complete the chores of putting up tents, tending the two horses, cleaning gear and collapsing into their bedrolls. The gruff disciplinarian Sergeant Adris seems pleased with the effort the group has put in and this evening he broached a cask of ale to have with the supper of lamb stew and damper.

With the chores done, the watches set and the bulk of the apprentices asleep the sergeant is sitting at the campfire, still in his full plate armor, running a whet stone slowly down the edge of his Great sword. The Scholar is also still in his full plate running a polishing cloth over the golden "Illuminated Man" symbol of the lord of light while the corporal has packed away his chain shirt for the night and eyes closed is puffing away at a long stemmed pipe.

The contented grin wrapped around the sergeants stubby little tusk, the hummed hymn from the scholar and the way the corporals pointed ears are twitching tell you that the instructors are in a very good mood and that now would be the perfect time to introduce yourself, get a bit of recognition and ask any questions about the plans for the next days training.
Jorath
 player, 1 post
Wed 20 Apr 2016
at 11:21
The Camp Fire
Jorath looks up from the cooking pot, having served out the nights meal to all of the apprentices and his commanders, he checks over some strips of meat he has slowly drying over the fire. It was a simple recipe, and he always found it handy to have some meat to chew on during the long marches. He was always working away helping to cook the meals, having been taught how to in his fathers tavern before he decided to join up.

Taking advantage of the apparent good mood in the air he moves over to the sergeant, "sergeant Agris, sir" Jorath rips of a textbook salute, "another batch of dried meat is almost done, I will set aside the usual amount for youself, scholar ormin and corporal dan. If I may ask, what do you have planned for us tomorrow? I would rather avoid the ale tonight if we are having a day heavy with drills, sir"

Jorath does not expect an answer, but he is well known for always being direct when asking a question. Usually because he is not capable of coming up with the right words to be subtle

This message was last edited by the player at 11:29, Wed 20 Apr 2016.

Tarpin
 player, 1 post
 Warmage
Wed 20 Apr 2016
at 15:28
The Camp Fire
Tarpin looked up from the task of maintaining his own simple weapons - dagger, morningstar and light crossbow - and grinned at Jorath's questions to their trainers.

"Whatever it is, Jorath, I bet you're better at it than I am. Stronger, longer, faster - that's you! What I'd really love to know is what our first mission is likely to be. Forewarned is forearmed, or so they say."
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 5 posts
Thu 21 Apr 2016
at 01:21
The Camp Fire
Adris will continue to run the whet stone down the blade and without looking up replies "Better not to salute while yer in the field son, can reveal the chain of command. Now that we've made it to the out skirts of Longwood we'll liase wit the local watch, take ther reports and resupply before headin back North. Fer tonight while t'would be good fer a cask to stretch further the pint o ale each it allowed  wont justify anyone takin it easy termorrow."

Ormin will smile at Tarpin. "Very wise master Tarpin. While we expect nothing out of the ordinary, if you wish for peace, prepare for war. If there is no war, celebrate the peace."
Tarpin
 player, 2 posts
 Warmage
Thu 21 Apr 2016
at 12:16
The Camp Fire
"Thank you, Master Ormin. I trust the local watch won't have news of a sudden declaration of war that we haven't heard about yet. So the best preparation I can think of tonight is a good night's sleep. I plan to enjoy it while I can!"

He settled back down by the campfire, sighting along each of his crossbow bolts to make sure none were warped and the fletching was still straight and firmly fixed to the shaft.
Jorath
 player, 2 posts
 Monk
Thu 21 Apr 2016
at 14:18
The Camp Fire
Jorath curses his carelessness, "point taken sir, mistakes like that can be costly" he will move back to the cooking pot, serve himself some food, and avoiding the ale will place himself near master tarpin. "I may be faster but I can't plan tactics well, I struggle with master ormins studies." He chuckles to himself slightly "I get more joy out of the mornings march than a book, but that's just me"

After finishing his food he will collect up the dried meat, deliver the usual amount to the officers and will offer some to tarpin before settling himself in for the night
Tarpin
 player, 3 posts
 Warmage
Fri 22 Apr 2016
at 12:39
The Camp Fire
"Thanks Jorath," Tarpin says as he accepts a small piece of the dried meat to chew on. "Fortunately, it seems we don't all need to be the same in this unit to be useful, or they wouldn't have accepted two as different as you and I. I expect we would work well together as a team. You in the front line blocking the enemy's advance and me a rank or two behind, watching your back and blasting the enemy with magic. Well, that will be a pleasant dream to enjoy tonight anyway."
Jorath
 player, 3 posts
 Monk
Fri 22 Apr 2016
at 23:05
The Camp Fire
Jorath chews thoughtfully on a piece of dried meat. "That's true master tarpin, I reackon anything stupid enough to get in the way of our duties will receive a very painful lesson indeed" he chuckles "I hope we find something interesting tomorrow, we have done plenty of training but all of us are missing more practical experience." He pauses for a moment seeming to be in deep thought "that and I've been itching for a fight"

Jorath laughs, chews a bit more jerky, chokes on the meat, angrily mutters something about meat too dry, and then starts laughing again.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 7 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 04:18
The Camp Fire
With the watches posted and the fire banked the training platoon one by one make their way to their tents and to a welcome rest.

At roughly the fourth hour of the morning the quiet and dark are shattered by sudden light and noise. There is a whip crack as if a piece of stone has snapped but so loud that its vibrations shake the trees and a burst of violet light that for minutes afterwards dyes the world purple. Those gifted with Arcane magic find trickles of blood from ears, eyes or noses, those without find their ears popping under sudden pressure.

Everyone is jerked awake and everyone knows that to the South something unprecedented and unnatural has happened. The first person to react is Sergeant Adris. Surging out of his bedroll and drawing his Greatsword he will call "Everyone, on your feet! Those without armor grab your weapons and get to the perimeter, those with armor, suit up then join the perimeter. Move, move, move!"
Oopses
 player, 3 posts
 scout/cleric
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 05:34
The Camp Fire

Daelan is the quickest draw in your tent, Trained for the shadow vanguard, She slept on a hair trigger. Her chain-shirt was essentially a second skin, Her gear a neat pile with weapons on top. Slinging 2 of her sharp circles(chakrams) on her arm, she grabbed her spear as she bolted out the door. Knowledge is power, and right now she was in the dark.
Jorath
 player, 4 posts
 Monk
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 07:03
The Camp Fire
Jorath forever comfortable without armour,  bolts from his bedroll slipping his gloves on, and is among the first to the front lines ready to fight.
Tarpin
 player, 4 posts
 Warmage
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 08:01
The Camp Fire
Tarpin groaned and shook his head to clear it as he struggled to rise from his bedroll. He rubbed his eyes, which felt as though he had been crying, and wiped his nose with the back of his hand then stared at the dark smudge there that he could barely see in the near darkness of his tent. He pulled on his boots, buckled his belt, slipped his backpack and buckler into position and grabbed his light crossbow as he finally stumbled out the door-flap of his tent. At least outside there was a bit more light and he hurried into position at the perimeter of the camp.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 8 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 13:17
The Camp Fire
Sergeant Adris will keep the perimeter guard out until Corporal Dan has done a full sweep of the surrounds for any threats. Once the area has been deemed safe the Sergeant starts snapping out orders. Jorath and three of the other martial academy apprentices are placed at the compass points of the camp as sentries. After a quick conference Ormin summons the casters to the center of the camp to pray and study their tomes while the rest of non magical apprentices break camp, readying the stores wagon and packing away the tents. Like a living shadow the corporal heads off to the south to make sure the trail is clear.

By dawn the group is ready to move out and it is clear that down South something has gone very wrong. Two then three barely perceptible streamers of smoke merge to become a thick black column. The Sergeant announces that their duty is clear, they must head South and help if possible, get information back to Stonehearth if not. Corporal Dans return brings another little conference and the apprentices overhear his guess that the Southernmost fortress, Fort Cage must be under attack. The group is ordered to a hard march and the sergeant leads the way down South. After a couple of hours Scholar Ormin takes two of the clerics and a wizard and heads towards Longwood. As the largest castle and force of militia between camp and Fort Cage they believe it will be the nearest gathering point and Ormin will be most useful there. The sergeant and the corporal lead the rest of the group South to the town of Stronghorn.

It is nearing nightfall when the group arrives to find the towns folk out in force, digging ditches, raising an earthen wall and sharpening pikes. The local militia are unsure what to do about the arrival of such a motley and well armed group but the arrival of a corporal of the town watch calms their tension, the corporal is very glad to see Sergeant Adris and leads them to a local inn where the foot sore group can stay the night.

The following morning the group are awakened by a fully armed and armored Sergeant Adris who grimly orders everyone to get armed and assemble in the courtyard. Outside the town is unusually quiet, the only noise is the ever present noise of animals and the slamming of doors as people rush to and fro, waking their neighbors and gasping at the many columns of smoke now closer to the town, off to the South.

"Apprentices, we have received our first actionable intel. Groups of farmers have been running to the town, families who had ignored the orders to retreat to the town yesterday and had stayed to defend their farms. They have reported figures in the night, some small, some man sized, some bigger and the howls of wolves. The enemy have been burning farms, from what we can tell so far they are small groups of raiders and looters. Our mission; we go out to the out laying farm steads and escort the farmers to safety. Half of you will be coming with me, the other half will go with Corporal Dan once you've done your morning preparations. Now listen up, the enemy is still an unknown so play it safe. Engage if you are confident of victory, if in doubt withdraw back to the town, we've put a lot of effort into your training, prove yourselves worthy of a glorious future."

Tarpin, Jorath and Daelan are amongst the nine apprentices ordered to go with Corporal Dan and at the seventh hour the group heads out to the East. The Hatch family farm is roughly three kilometers away and the corporal leads the group out at a fast trot. After a couple of kilometers the land turns to rolling hills with shallow pocket valleys. As the group crests a hill they are met with a scene of panic. Five Farmers with hand carts are surrounded by small humanoids wearing a motley collection of leathers and furs and bearing morning stars, shields and javellins. Some of the Farmers are bleeding, a couple are sobbing and begging while the small humanoids cackle with malicious glee.

With a snarl Corporal Dan says "Goblins!" and knocks an arrow on his bow, ready to fire.

OOC: The Goblins are completely focused on the farmers granting the party a surprise round, you are each armed as you stated when you stood too the previous morning and are free to act. The map is under map/image for group 0. The dark green bushes are difficult terrain and grant 1/2 cover, the grey rocks are impassable terrain, DC 10 climb check or grant 3/4 cover. A successful spot check may grant more information, creative uses of spells and skills during encounters may grant bonus experience on top of the evenly shared group experience. If at any time you wish to leave the mapped area the map will be expanded the following round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:35, Sat 23 Apr 2016.

Daelan
 player, 4 posts
 scout/cleric
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 13:45
The Camp Fire
In reply to The Watchful Prescience (msg # 14):

Daelan rolled a 20 initiative, Daelan rolled a 22 spot check.

Seargent, they don't appear to be in immediate danger. I suggest we try to advance to striking distance, and break their line with a charge so we can protect them.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:53, Sat 23 Apr 2016.

Jorath
 player, 5 posts
 Monk
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 14:14
The Camp Fire
Jorath looks quietly at his gloves and murmurs  "nothing but a blunt instrument" he turns to the group "daelan is right but we need to get the goblins away from the farmers too. Everyone into the grass let me draw their attention, im not armoured so i wont be seen as a threat and  we can bring the vermin to us"

If the group agrees with his plan he will hold his actions until the rest of the group are in the grass
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 9 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 23:43
The Camp Fire
OOC: The grass is just grass, it will impose no penalty to movement and if the group uses the surprise rounds single action to fall back they will be out of sight of the Goblins. Right now it all rests on what Tarpin chooses to do.
Tarpin
 player, 5 posts
 Warmage
Sun 24 Apr 2016
at 14:20
The Camp Fire
Tarpin nods agreement with Jorath's suggestion.

"Yes, let's try to draw them closer to us and ambush them," he quietly agreed.

He grips his light crossbow ready to fire if the corporal orders it but he is ready to hide in the grass if that is the option chosen.