The Druid's Colony.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
Jorath
 player, 44 posts
 Monk
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 22:53
The Druid's Colony
Jorath agrees with tarpins suggestion and lights his ever burning torch once again. Along the way he pulls out a vial from his backpack and downs the whole contents... Followed by some dried meat of course and can be heard quietly saying "good year" he seems to be much better and his old self once again
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 87 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 05:36
The Druid's Colony
With a potion of healing consumed Joraths minor injuries completely fade and his torch provides a little light for the party. Passing by the first Menhir there is the faintest sense of unease, like something is out of place. Twenty feet further on amidst the tracks is another burnt hobgoblin, sword fused in hand. Off to the east there is a trail of scorched grass and the badly burnt body of a goblin. Up ahead another Menhir can be seen, it is just visible, almost imperceptibly illuminated by an inner light.
Daelan
 player, 99 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 16/16
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 17:28
The Druid's Colony



Daelan stops to examine the hobgoblin corpse, trying to get a feel for how long ago the battle occured.
Tarpin
 player, 88 posts
 Warmage
Thu 6 Oct 2016
at 15:14
The Druid's Colony
Tarpin stays close to Jorath and his torch as they move forward. Occasionally he pauses to listen and peers all around trying to hear or spot anything else around them but that faintly glowing menhir up ahead looks quite interesting.
Boc
 player, 49 posts
 Half Orc Barbarian
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 01:24
The Druid's Colony
Boc moves ahead 40' cautiously, stopping 20' before the 3rd menhir to wait for the others to catch up.  He is puzzled by the feeling of unease, because he was otherwise looking forward to fighting some hobs.  When the others catch up he quietly murmurs "Boc sad."
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 90 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 06:29
The Druid's Colony
Daelans brief examination of a corpse gives her the impression it died between six and twelve hours ago. Catching up to Boc the group passes many more corpses, hobgoblins and goblins alike. A couple look to have been struck by lightning, one appears to have been engulfed in fire and at least five, maybe more seem to have been mauled by wild animals. When you passed the second Menhir you noticed another roughly fifty feet East and another roughly fifty feet West. The sense of unease has grown, something feels very wrong, almost like there's sadness where you know there should be peace. Boc is clearly troubled by this, waiting for the group to reach him. A short distance ahead of Boc stands a third menhir. This one glows a little more strongly then the last, the carvings on it illuminated by a faint silvery light. Just beyond it there seems to be a faint mist.
Tarpin
 player, 89 posts
 Warmage
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 09:37
The Druid's Colony
Tarpin pats Boc on the back to console him. He points to the carvings on the glowing menhir.

"That's druid magic. I can smell freshly cut tree sap, too. Druids wouldn't like that at all. Perhaps that's why this place feels so sad. Come on, lets go on and find out."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:37, Sun 09 Oct 2016.

Daelan
 player, 101 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 16/16
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 18:24
The Druid's Colony

Daelan puts her hand on tarpin's shoulder, "The battle raged this way hard, but i don't see any corpses yet and if i was still alive I'd be jumpy, tired, and have set traps. I suggest we proceed cautiously, and keep Boc closer we wouldn't want any misunderstandings."
Boc
 player, 50 posts
 Half Orc Barbarian
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 13:29
The Druid's Colony
Boc's mood lifts when the others catch up.  He kicks a rock from the path with the toe of his boot, making it skitter towards the me menhir ahead.  "All go."  He advances cautiously with the others, peering ahead as far as his dark vision will allow, javelin held ready.
Tarpin
 player, 90 posts
 Warmage
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 15:41
The Druid's Colony
"All go," Tarpin agrees quietly.

Since they are all together now there is no sense keeping his headlamp shielded anymore, so he flips the cover open to shine the beam of light 60 feet ahead of them so that they can all see more of what is before them.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 96 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2016
at 04:33
The Druid's Colony
The glare of the head lamp illuminates a fifty foot wide dome of mist that seems to be contained by the inner circle of menhirs. Shadows can be glimpsed within but this close to it the rustling of leaves and the soft nocturnal animal noises seem muted, nothing can be heard from within.
Tarpin
 player, 91 posts
 Warmage
Sun 16 Oct 2016
at 13:06
The Druid's Colony
"I can only see shadows in the mist. Boc, can you see what they are?" Tarpin asks the half-orc.
Boc
 player, 51 posts
 Half Orc Barbarian
Mon 17 Oct 2016
at 10:55
The Druid's Colony
"No."  Boc peers into the mist.  He was expecting to see gorillas but can't see anything.  He puts away the javelin and readies the halberd.
Daelan
 player, 105 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 16/16
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 07:40
The Druid's Colony
daelan rolled a 9 knowledge religi9n check.

Daelan shudders as if chilled, "Whatever happened, it happened here and I don't like it.. But standing around here does nothing. Sooner we find answers or clues, the quicker we can leave. " stepping into the mist.
Tarpin
 player, 93 posts
 Warmage
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 12:28
The Druid's Colony
Tarpin nods grimly and follows a few paces behind Daelan.
Jorath
 player, 45 posts
 Monk
Fri 21 Oct 2016
at 11:25
The Druid's Colony
Jorath just tries to keep a clear head and looks out for a possible assault.

OOC: rolled 3 spot, I spot the darkness YAY
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 101 posts
Fri 21 Oct 2016
at 21:29
The Druid's Colony
Walking into the mist at first is like stepping into a cloud, then after five feet like walking into a forty foot wide dome shaped white room. A carpet of mist turns the grass and rocks into shadows but in the centre of the clearing a stone altar formed of two roughly hewn stone legs and a great flat stone table top squats stark and real. This is barely noticed as a great horde of shadowy goblins and hobgoblins steals the scene. Within this area alone there appears to be sixty with more rushing out of the mist. They overwhelm a shadowy man who was standing upon the altar and silently cheering half drag him off to the South, the other half start to head East. The corporal swears and raises his bow then stops as in the blink of an eye the shadows vanish leaving the area pristine and empty, only the altar remains, splattered with blood. The whole scene occurred in total silence.

The corporal looks at the party in confusion and says "What was..." when he is interrupted by three shadowy men who run through the party, passing through Daelan and Jorath as if they weren't even there. The three men are bearded and robed, two carry staffs and one wields a stout wooden cudgel. They rush to the altar, stand side by side and breathing heavily begin chanting and gesturing and as they point at the ground nearby the earth births savage animals. There are pairs of wolves, badgers, boars, even a couple of bears leap from the dirt in a rough line in front of the druids. Then to the clear shock of the corporal many shadowy goblins and hobgoblins charge through the party and battle is joined.

The melee is brutal but sadly quick. Four times lightning flashes from the top of the dome to strike a hobgoblin dropping him spasming to the ground. An orb of fire rolls through the horde engulfing three goblins and several more wolves leap from the ground to join the fray. The sheer number of goblins is too much and small teams of hobgoblins advance on the beasts driving the back and cutting them apart. As the beasts are driven back the man who seems to be calling the lightning leaps upon the altar and starts yelling in fury. Flames spring to life around his hands and he hurls bolt after bolt into the horde. The last of the beasts are driven back to the altar. The man on the altar yells and the two bears suddenly turn and grapple the two other men, swiftly dragging them away from the fight. The men struggle wildly yelling in rage but can't break free from the bears. The last of the animal defenders fade away. The man on the altar yells and the bears fade, dropping the men. One of the men goes to run back but the other grabs him and drags him through the wall of the mist to the East. The man on the altar starts to shrink, feathers sprout all over his body, then there is a flare of dark light from the transforming man and the changes stop then reverse. In the blink of an eye he stands as he was and stares in horror at his human hands. His eyes steady and resolve themselves and he strikes out, cracking a goblin over the head with his staff. The goblinoids overwhelm the shadowy man who was standing upon the altar and silently cheering half drag him off to the South, the other half start to head East.

The entire scene played out in eerie silence and again the shadowy figures are all gone in the blink of an eye. This time however the party can clearly see that the corpses of the goblinoids slain in the battle lie scattered around, concealed by the mist. The corporal will whistle and say "well, never seen anything like this before." when the three men come running through the party and the whole scene starts over again.
Tarpin
 player, 94 posts
 Warmage
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 12:37
The Druid's Colony
Tarpin watches the scene carefully before trying to sum up what it all means.

"Those three men must have been the druids trying to defend this grove. The one on the table was in charge, so he is probably the senior druid here. The other two escaped toward the east with half the goblins and hobgoblins chasing after them. The other half of the goblins and hobgoblins captured the senior druid and dragged him away toward the south. There was some dark magic involved that prevented him from transforming into a bird to escape, so there must be quite a powerful spellcaster with that group heading south. South is where the main enemy forces are, so they are probably taking him back to their leader as a prisoner. We were told that there is a dwarven water mill on a branch of the great river about two kilometres east of the grove and folks around here consider it the safest place around here apart from Fort Cage itself. So I suspect that is where those two druids may have fled to. Our orders are to recover any assets here, if there's nothing left we are to head South, gather intel on the enemy and then make our way back to the Town of Mighthorn. Those three druids are assets, so we should try to recover them. The two that went east are probably closest. Shall we head that way first?"

While he waits for the others to decide Tarpin watches the scene play out again and again, trying to see which of the goblins or hobgoblins might be the enemy spellcaster and what type of magic was used against the senior druid.

OOC: Tarpin rolled 10 using 1d20.  Spot check.
Tarpin rolled 27 using 1d20+7.  Spellcraft check.

Boc
 player, 52 posts
 Half Orc Barbarian
Wed 26 Oct 2016
at 13:47
The Druid's Colony
Boc sits and seems ready to watch this show all night.  He occasionally prods at the ghostly figures that come near.  He tries to follow Tarpin's summary of the situation but does not know what 'assets' are and quickly loses the thread.  He stands up and puts in his two bobs worth, pointing east and apparently agreeing with Tarpin.  "More hip hip."  He looks around the misty room and searches under the altar to see if theres anything useful left behind then moves over to the east wall where the two druids fled.
21:49, Today: Boc rolled 15 using 1d20-2.  search around altar.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:50, Wed 26 Oct 2016.

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 103 posts
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 05:17
The Druid's Colony
The corporal frowns as he watches the scene play through. "We have a hard decision ahead of us. While the ones fleeing East should be closer we have options for a rescue effort in the future, however the ones headed South appear to have the most powerful of the druids and we are currently the ones best situated to aid him. Either way we definitely must act, so shall we head East or South?"
Tarpin
 player, 96 posts
 Warmage
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 05:40
The Druid's Colony
"When you put it like that, Corp, it does sound like our duty is to try to rescue the senior druid first."

Tarpin looks around at his colleagues in the squad.

"What do you all think, are we up to it?"
Jorath
 player, 46 posts
 Monk
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 11:16
The Druid's Colony
Jorath pipes up, The senior Druid is in the most danger, let's head south. Daelan can you track at speed? I think we should move faster

Jorath will move towards the west stop, right himself and head south. Ever determined just not very smart
Daelan
 player, 106 posts
 Scout + Cleric
 HP 16/16
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 16:33
The Druid's Colony

Taking a swig of water as the Tarpin speaks logically, "The other two can at-least fend for themselves, but the elder is at increasing risk." agreeing with both decisions.
Boc
 player, 53 posts
 Half Orc Barbarian
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 15:22
The Druid's Colony
Boc found a good dagger on a hobgoblin body but nothing else of value.  He tucks the dagger in his belt, takes up the sacks of loot and moves to the south side.  He nods slowly "Get big hip." and is ready to move out.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 106 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 15:21
The Druid's Colony
Daelan and the Corporal quickly determine that between the size of the group and the carnage caused by their celebrations the path is easy to follow. Choosing speed over stealth the Corporal will order the group into a single file with Boc at the lead followed by himself, Daelan, Tarpin and with the formidable Jorath guarding the rear. For light he draws an arrow from his quiver and causes it to surge with a shocking charge. This electric candle provides enough light for his own sharp eyes and a beacon for the humans to follow. With a tap on the barbarians shoulder and a nod the group is off, hot on the trail of the goblins and the senior Druid.

OOC: Game continues in thread “Operation Getafix”.