The road to safety.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
Nomin Morenar
 player, 21 posts
Sun 2 Oct 2016
at 09:06
The road to safety
Nomin tries to ready his weapon to attack simultaneously with his mount, but can't quite reign in his battle-ready steed to do so.
13:10, Thu 29 Sept: Nomin Morenar rolled 8 using 1d20+7.  DC 10 fight with mount.

So he moves forward 10' west and allows the warhorse to do what it does best.

10:57, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 17 using 1d20+6.  hoof #1 vs. sentry.
10:57, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 7 using 1d20+6.  hoof #2 vs. sentry.
10:57, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 16 using 1d20+1.  Bite.


10:57, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 7 using 1d6+4.  hoof #1 damage.
10:57, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 6 using 1d4+2.  bite damage.


edit-
At first I thought it'd be 5' away, so 5' step -> full attack, but it 5' stepped on its turn, so 10' move required and only one kick.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:14, Sun 02 Oct 2016.

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 86 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 05:12
The road to safety
Out on the road the sentry goes to throw another javelin but Clompers has other ideas. Skipping forward and rearing up its left hoof comes down hard, cracking the sentries skull.

Within the camp Bleynar arrives to find an utter blood bath. Having dispatched one hobgoblin Slivan turns and plunges his swords into the prone hobgoblin next to him. While the shortsword stabs earth the rapier again finds soft flesh, the hobgoblin twitches once, then is still. Anselmoc however is not a creature of finesse, rather an embodiment of the raw power of spirituality manifest. His ghostly claws latch onto a soldiers and pull him to pieces in a shower of gore.

Under the orders of their leader the soldiers charge forward, hurling themselves at Slivan and Anselmoc. Of the three soldiers two strike true dealing nasty blows to the ranger and the totemist. It is then that their leader stikes. Rolling across the collapsed hoochie his scimitar strikes a deep gash across the rangers back. While Slivan still stands it is clear that he is grievously wounded.



OOC: Game map updated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:14, Tue 04 Oct 2016.

Slivan Thantis
 player, 14 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 13:53
The road to safety
Slivan lets out a loud cry when he is hit from both sides, a combination of surprise and great pain. He spits, and it's clear it comes out bloody. He tries to get some distance between him and the Hobgoblin that attacked him. He then attempts a strike against the leader, while keeping his guard up.

OOC:
Forgot to add damage due to favored enemy, will add next time.
Taking a 5' step to NE (I'll be facing the leader, with the fence to my right and a dead body to my left).
Fighting defensively, so I get -4 on attacks and +3 AC (+2 normally and +1 due to Two-weapon defense feat).

16:50, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 9 using 2d6+6.  Crit damage with Shortsword.
16:48, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Confirm crit with Shortsword.
16:42, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 20 using 1d20+1.  Attack with Shortsword, defensively.
16:22, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 5 using 1d6+4.  Damage with rapier (assuming hit).
16:20, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 9 using 1d20+1.  Attack with Rapier, defensively.


Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 8 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 15:53
The road to safety
Bleynar instantly knows what to do. He walks till he has a clear area to cast a spell and then he extends a fingertip, producing a cone of fire that engulfs the three hobgoblins.

OOC:
Move: Move two squares down.
Standard: Cast Burning Hands to the left.
12:51, Today: Bleynar Ontafar rolled 17 using 6d4.  Fire damage.
Reflex Save DC 16 for half

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 89 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 06:07
The road to safety
Within the camp site the battle reaches a spectacular climax.

Yelling in pain and anger Slivan spins and circles the hobgoblins leader. Knocking aside scimitar with rapier the shortsword finds its opening and opens the hobgoblin from naval to sternum.
With poise and dignity the noble walks over a crumpled tent and composes himself. With a series of precise gestures he summons forth an intense gout of flames which neatly immolate the three soldiers.
Surging forward the totemist darts towards the one remaining soldier. Witnessing the deaths of its entire squad and the approach of this smoke wreathed ghostly terror the hobgoblin turns to flee and stops. Looking down it sees several ghostly claws protruding from its stomach, it coughs blood and falls limp.

As the last wisps of smoke clear the five hobgoblins simultaneously fall.

OOC: Map updated.
Anselmoc
 player, 14 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 07:24
The road to safety
Anselmoc spits on the bodies of his victims. "Damn goblins. They have wounded me." He checks on the wound. "Eh... I willl live." He says and proceeds to search the bodies of the hobgoblins in search of loot. "Let's see what we can salvage from here!"
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 92 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 13:25
The road to safety
The hobgoblins are each wearing the tunics they were sleeping in, seven of the eight in the camp were holding long swords, the leader bore a scimitar of exceptional craftsmanship.
Nomin Morenar
 player, 27 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 20:33
The road to safety
Nomin dismounts next to the camp, hesitating not at all before placing a warm hand on Silvan's shoulder and the other on his obviously-magical belt, the buckle emblazoned with the emblem of the lord of light. "Careful. Bravado can lead to glory just as easily as it can to an early death." It's clear he's saying it in a way to where he whole-heartedly approved of the ranger's actions nonetheless.

12:11, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 9 using 2d8.  Reroll Healing Belt 2/3 -> Silvan.
12:11, Today: Nomin Morenar rolled 5 using 2d8.  Reroll Healing Belt 1/3 -> Silvan.


He then gives a friendly nod to the party's conjurer.

Seeing the assorted weapons, the knight remarks, "Clompers has plenty of room in the straps and saddlebags. Perhaps some of our shaggy retinue could even swing a longsword or hurl a javelin if things become that desperate."


There are a few points of lay on hands left along with the final charge of the belt, and Nomin will spend them all if necessary before sleeping, even on the creepy fucking spectral claw thing if he needs them. I think we're all third level, so if you're down 3 or less (like Nomin) then a night's rest will fix them anyway.

edit-
Rolls corrected. "demonic" changed to "spectral".

This message was last edited by the player at 18:02, Tue 11 Oct 2016.

Slivan Thantis
 player, 17 posts
Tue 11 Oct 2016
at 06:08
The road to safety
As the last Hobgoblin drops to the ground, Slivan also slumps and sits down on the damp forest bed, checking his wounds. They do not look good at all, and in fact he is lucky to be alive. He opens the clasps on his backpack, rummaging around for a healing potion, but before he can get it out of his bag he feels a hand on his shoulder and a warm healing force flowing through it, into his body and reaching all the wounds. The smaller cuts and bruises close right away and disappear. Bone and sinew grow and reconnect in the larger wounds and the gashes stop their bleeding and become no more than faint flesh wounds.
Slivan looks up to the owner of the hand and sees Nomin standing over him. "Thank you kindly," he says simply, but his eyes convey how relieved he is. Instead of a potion, he takes his waterskin from his belt and takes two long gulps, then closes it and puts it back.

Getting up, he quickly scans the camp with his eyes. His eyes land upon the leader's scimitar, and he carefully picks it up and examines it, checking its weight, its balance in his hand, its sharpness.
"Interesting," he says, sniffing the sword. "Bleynar - can you sense anything magical about it?" he asks, handing him the sword hilt-first.

Slivan replies to Nomin's comment - "Actually, I won't mind putting a few of my belongings in those saddlebags, if that's ok with you.." he says, pointing to his bedroll and his food rations.

OOC:
Up to 16/17 HP. Should be good enough until we rest.
And if I take anything from there I'll be encumbered, which is why putting stuff on the horse could help :)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:33, Tue 11 Oct 2016.

Nomin Morenar
 player, 34 posts
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 11:00
The road to safety

This message was deleted by the player at 17:56, Thu 13 Oct 2016.

Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 9 posts
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 13:29
The road to safety
Bleynar smiles and nods. "Let's see."

Standard: Cast detect magic on scimitar

Then he looks to everyone. "We have been lucky to be able to safely heal our wounds. Now we should follow our people." He looks to Nomin's mount. "Can it carry seven swords?"

OOC: Sorry, I thought I had posted.
Nomin Morenar
 player, 35 posts
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 17:58
The road to safety
"He can, yes; under the saddlebag straps."

Nomin will also quickly rummage around underneath each of the fallen tent fabrics.


And I'm assuming other people would also do this.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 95 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2016
at 04:26
The road to safety
A thorough search of the camp and of the bodies of the two sentries will reveal that this squad was organised and well provisioned. Each of the nine hobgoblin soldiers carried a longsword, two javellins, a small steel shield, a suit of studded leather armour and a backpack with a bedroll, two water skins, a hoochie tent and three days rations. One has a gold signet ring. Four also carried a hand axe each and five had shovels. The leader had a masterwork chain shirt and Bleynars magical scan reveals that the scimitar, a pair of gloves and the contents of a water skin are magical.
Anselmoc
 player, 15 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2016
at 08:19
The road to safety
"Is he strong enough to carry all these things too?" Anselmoc is thrilled with the possibility of sleeping in a tent.
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 10 posts
Tue 18 Oct 2016
at 05:47
The road to safety
"Even if he is not, we should carry them to the people. Even if they don't know how to use them, they can learn in the future aside the fact that a group of armed men may not be the prey that a small unit is looking for."

He looks at the items. "Now this scimitar. It is decidedly magical. Same goes to the gloves and what is inside the water skin. I propose that each one of you take one of them."
Nomin Morenar
 player, 39 posts
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 11:54
The road to safety
"Yes, my thoughts exactly on handing out the arms and armor. And let's not dally around here too long. A group of hobgoblins like this is likely just one patrol of several--patrols which may be sent out from an encampment we'd have no chance against. We best be on our way.

And I'd be wary about sticking your hands into or wrapping them around any unknown magical objects for now.
"

The paladin busily sets himself to work gathering up what can be gathered and quickly helping the new owners of their armor, shields, and swords learn how to best carry and ready them, if they weren't already aware.

See OOC post.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:58, Thu 20 Oct 2016.

Anselmoc
 player, 16 posts
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 18:53
The road to safety
Anselmoc stops to inspector the mentioned items.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 20 posts
Fri 21 Oct 2016
at 13:15
The road to safety
"Your caution is well-placed, Nomin. Hobgoblins are cunning, and although my intuition says this is not the case, it could be magic that backfires if not handled as designed." Using his gloves, Slivan carefully lifts the scimitar from its crossguard, bringing it to Clompers' saddlebags.
"That ring could prove very handy in the future, we should definitely keep it close to us. Maybe the druids could identify the ring and the magical gear better, I trust their knowledge and wisdom. Speaking of them, we should return to them soon."
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 12 posts
Thu 27 Oct 2016
at 10:46
The road to safety
Bleynar inspects the ring.
OOC:
07:45, Today: Bleynar Ontafar rolled 10 using 1d20+6.  Kn owledge Religion. BLEHHHHHHHH

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 102 posts
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 05:05
The road to safety
OOC: In the interest of progressing the story I'm going to propose certain actions. If anyone would like to act differently please send me a private message and I will ammend the post :)

While the party searches the camp one member of the group heads back to the civilians to enlist their help. The magical items are carefully secured to Clompers saddlebags and with the arrival of a determined workforce the bodies and the site are quickly stripped of anything of use. While some of the civillians baulk at the thought of pillaging the dead and many are horrified by either the monsters or the state some of the corpses have been left in survival wins out and many arm themselves. Ten are now in studded leather wielding long swords and small shields, twelve more grab a combination of javelins and hatchets and the equipment is split to be carried by the group. Unfortunately none recognise any religious importance to the signet ring with the shackled spider though one woman thinks it looks like a house crest.

Much more confident now that they are armed and better provisioned the civilians are keen to push on to the safety of the Dwarven mill.
Anselmoc
 player, 18 posts
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 10:59
The road to safety
"So all of you are safe. Can someone lend me a knife? I want goblin's ears as a saouvenier."

Anselmoc follows the group of people, hoping that no danger for them will await further down the road... but at the same time, wanting to be able to kill more goblinoids.
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 13 posts
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 13:56
The road to safety
Bleynar smiles to Anselmoc's ocurrence, but they have to hurry. "Let's keep moving. We must walk fast till there is still light".
Nomin Morenar
 player, 41 posts
Tue 1 Nov 2016
at 23:47
The road to safety

This message was deleted by the player at 22:28, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Nomin Morenar
 player, 42 posts
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 22:31
The road to safety
The paladin stays on foot to lead his now somewhat-laden steed, despite the fact that even had it been carrying a quarter ton more it would have moved nearly as quickly as he.

"Let us continue, then."
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 108 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 15:33
The road to safety
With many of the civilians now armed the junior Druids urge the group to make haste to the Dwarven mill. Lead by Nomin and Clompers and with Anselmoc and his new goblin earings encouraged to take up the rear the group hurry on down the road. Near dusk the howl of wolves in the distance chills the weary refugees to the bone but soon the road closes with the river and as the sun sinks behind the mountainous horizon the Dwarven mill comes into sight.

Like an industrial fortress the mill is the home to two Dwarven families and over over a hundred years grew from a mill with a water wheel to a small castle with a really, really big water wheel. As the group approached calls from within cry a gruff welcome and the gates slowly open.  A venerable male Dwarf standing in the gateway appears set to challenge the group until an equally venerable female Dwarf steps in front of him a calls a warm greeting to the druids, beckoning them inside.

OOC: Game continues in the thread “Nose to the Grind Stone”.