The road to safety.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 57 posts
Fri 2 Sep 2016
at 06:01
The road to safety
The hour that all had dreaded had come and the people were ready. The chief amongst the druids, Cathbhadh, flanked by his two closest friends and fellow druids had come to the gathering, their heads bowed. “My friends, the life of the forest and the noble beasts of the air have brought me word, a small army of these enemy marauders have come and are barely hours away. They appear to be making for this place. Our sanctuary is many things, but defendable is not one of them, so go forth, gather what you can carry and go to safety.” While the people of the commune gathered their few possessions the three leaders gathered the four younger druids, Anselmoc, the knight petitioner Nomin Morenar and the young nobleman Bleynar Ontafar.

“My lords, my friends, please help our people. My three brothers and sister can guide the people to a safe place but if these invaders find them their handful of hunting spears and bows will be of little protection against the tools of war. We three will stay, I believe that these creatures are drawn to this place and we will stay to delay them. Do not fear for us, the forest will protect us and our magics will give us ways to escape, parting now is safest for all of us.”

With the three older druids watching silently from the trees the people of the grove left their peace behind.

An hour down the road the civilians trudge on without complaint, fearfully glancing at the trees to their south and the plains to their north seeing enemies in every shadow.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 2 posts
Fri 2 Sep 2016
at 13:49
The road to safety
Slivan shifts his look back and forth over the land from his lookout up on a high tree. This is not good, he thinks to himself. Invaders coming from the east, pushing the good people of the druid colony west, right into the camp of more hobgoblins. His whole life he has learned to discern small changes in the forest. Flights of birds, the way the trees swayed in the wind, different sounds and vibrations. His senses became acute to these minute changes, and he knew how to interpret their causes. But further from that, he has studied goblins and their kin long, and knew exactly how they walked, talked, behaved, and everything about them. He even learned their language.

Looking towards their camp, not far from him, he could see a fairly organized hobgoblin encampment, with sentries looking up and down the main road. At this rate, it wouldn't take long for the convoy to reach the hobgoblins, and those wretched creatures will have the element of surprise on their hands. They will surely be overwhelmed. I must do something, he thought. Reaching a conclusion, he quickly swings off his tree and dashes swiftly towards the convoy, his weapons sheathed so as not to cause too much of an alarm.

Reaching the convoy within a few seconds, Slivan steps out of the undergrowth at the edge of the forest. "Hail, friends!" he says to the group, and then addresses the knight that seems to lead the group. "Good knight, I have spotted a hobgoblin encampment not far from here, down the road and off to the side, between the trees. About a minute more, and their sentry would've spotted you. Maybe he already has."
He pauses, letting the news sink in, and then continues: "I know them, and these lands, better than the palm of my hand. Tactics, however.. Not my forte. I will help however I can, of course.. What do you propose?"
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 2 posts
Sat 3 Sep 2016
at 04:59
The road to safety
Bleynar is walking at the head of the group when he is surprised by the man with the bad news. He nods at the newcomer and looks at his companions. "We should let the young druids lead the people away from the danger. I will cross the hobgoblin's path to give them some time."

He turns to the man in front of him. "I am Bleynar Ontafar, friend. As you can see, you can't expect much tactics from us, except for the ones where a few can handle many."
Anselmoc
 player, 4 posts
Sat 3 Sep 2016
at 10:10
The road to safety
Anselmoc puts himself on guard the moment he sees the scout. Only when he sees he is there to give advice and help is when he lets his ghostly claws down. He is eager to meet some hobgoblins, but knows other may not share the same entusiasm. So he shuts up and waits.

He is not good with words either after all.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 3 posts
Sun 4 Sep 2016
at 07:58
The road to safety
Slivan shakes Bleynar's hand, and looking him in the eyes says: "Slivan Thantis, well met." Slivan looks around the group, if anyone else also wants to present himself by name.

Slivan scratches his stubble, thinking about the problem at hand. "Well, if you must get across.. The forest will be too dangerous. It holds many dangers, and just one is enough to alert the hobgoblins to our location if we're anywhere near their camp." He shifts his look to the north. "The plains.. We'll be in plain sight of anyone meaning us harm if we go through there, and anyways the distance we'll have to keep from the trail so we won't be spotted by the hobgoblins makes this option irrelevant." He thinks some more and then comes up with a conclusion: "The road is really the only option. Going through them. Better the danger we know, than the ones we don't."

Slivan looks around at the group, and comes up with a simple plan. "So, maybe not the greatest tactic, but here's my suggestion. I will take point, and try to sneak up on the sentry. Once I engage him, whoever of you can fight will join the fight. We shall bring a swift death to their camp, before they know what hit them."

Slivan looks around the group to see if the others accept his plan or have better suggestions. He pays extra attention to the civilians in the group. If they can't fight, we might need to leave someone behind to guard them in case they get attacked while we're busy at the camp, he thinks to himself.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 61 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 05:18
The road to safety
The appearance of the  ranger Slivan is a great relief to the druids and civilians, he is well known to them and his regular trade of meat and pelts has been testament to his skill. His news of Hobgoblins has them unsettled but these are hardy folk and they wait for the warriors to decide exactly how they will proceed. One of the Druids will step forward and say "My lords, we will stay with our people, if any foes come for us the forest will hold them and we can call mists to hide our escape."

OOC: Game map posted under Group 1. This is not the actual current positions, merely a frame to decide further actions.
Nomin Morenar
 player, 2 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 18:04
The road to safety
OOC: Let's backpedal this post a bit in our minds if we can, as I was out of town and Mr. Palolidan here would've piped up a bit sooner.

After the ranger approaches, and Bleynar introduces himself, Nomin dismounts and offers his hand as well. "Nomin Morenar, servant of the Lord of Light."

The knight eyes Silvan warily as he speaks, but most of his suspicious are put to rest with the sentiment of the druids and civilians.

"Depending on what dangers you speak of in the forest, I must admit taking the road route, as quickly as possible, seems somewhat wise." He pats his horse on the side of the neck. "And those of us that are mounted are more able to maneuver and defend the group as well."

He lifts himself back up on to his horse in a practiced motion, "haste seems to be in order as well."

He shifts his yes over to Bleynar and Anselmoc to see their reactions.
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 3 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2016
at 05:59
The road to safety
Bleynar nods. "Indeed. but it is easy to speak about haste on a horse. This people has walked for long time, their feet are tired. I agree that the road is the best option, but we must clear it for this people. If we can call the hobgoblins' attention, they will come for us and let the road clear for the people to pass. We only need to be a distration out of the road."
Anselmoc
 player, 5 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2016
at 10:07
The road to safety
Anselmoc thinks for a few moments.

"Yes, the people musst be protected. And making them pass by a battlefield will be too dangerous for them."