Nose to the Grind Stone.   Posted by The Watchful Prescience.Group: 0
Slivan Thantis
 player, 26 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 18:20
Nose to the Grind Stone
"Trust us, you needn't worry," Slivan replies simply, not really in the mood to elaborate more. It seems since arriving at the dwarven mill he has been more quiet, drawn-in even. Looking more alert to his surroundings than he seemed in the forest.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 115 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 10:50
Nose to the Grind Stone
The Dwarves make it clear that any goblin that comes within sight of their walls has earned a death sentence and with vows of strength, unity and bravery the conversation turns to more light hearted subjects. One by one the party members have their fill of drink and conversation and are shown by Dwarven warriors to the barracks building where two rooms each with two beds have been set aside for the adventurers use.

At approximately three in the morning the peace of slumber is broken by a blood curdling scream from the warehouse sheltering the civilians.
Nomin Morenar
 player, 49 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 22:17
Nose to the Grind Stone
Nomin sits up immediately, and shoots a worried glance over at his roommate for the night while quickly jamming his feet into his boots.

Then it's directly to the door.
Anselmoc
 player, 21 posts
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 05:20
Nose to the Grind Stone
Anselmoc was happily dreaming of tearing goblins apart when he hears the scream. "Seems I will make my dream come true." He jokes to himself and jumps out of the bed, the ghostly gorilla arms sprouting from his back, to rush to the source of the screams.
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 18 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 13:43
Nose to the Grind Stone
Bleynar hears the shout and curses the opportunity of the goblin's attack. Or whoever's attack it is. He takes his ofuda and dons his padded armor before going out of his room.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 27 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 18:40
Nose to the Grind Stone
After the injuries from the last encounter, Slivan takes no chances this time and dons his chain shirt before running as fast as he can to the source of the scream.
While running, he keeps alert to his environment, looking for anything out of the ordinary, or different than how it was when he entered their barracks.

OOC:
20:40, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 15 using 1d20+2.  Spot.
20:38, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 25 using 1d20+6.  Listen.

Minerva Hastings
 player, 1 post
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 20:22
Nose to the Grind Stone
With sharp eyes, Slivan is first to spot horses and carriage -- and the young human sorceress who must have driven and made park of it during the deep late of the eve. After patting her dogs on the heads and locking the door, she pauses -- and turns to look directly at the elf ranger, as if she somehow knew someone was looking at her. Her dead eyes easily make the fine hairs upon one's body bristle.

Replacing the key with a bit of copper wire as foci, the half-naked girl's lips move, but the sound is as if directly within Slivan's pointed ears, a whisper for him, and him alone.  From a her belt opposite a waterskin, hangs a chubby bottle containing what seems pebbles, water, and a live octopus.

Something about the way the octopus looks at Slivan, too, hints its that it can do far more than merely problem solve in an alchemists laboratory. . .

OOC: Spell: Message: Whispered conversation at distance.


Once copper, now replaced by a piece of cured leather, the air about sorceress's form shivers slightly, distorting the light only enough to note.

OOC: Spell: Mage Armour: +4 armour bonus to herself.


She turns, with a purpose to her stride -- not unlike the purpose of the other, four adventurers -- moving with ghostly grace towards the warehouse (where the scream emanated from).

The sorceress is beautiful, perhaps unnaturally so though no express illusory charm seems at work, just that ever-high charisma common to sorcerers. Deluded dragon's blood -- though perhaps in this woman's case, something fouler.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 29 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 17:20
Nose to the Grind Stone
Slivan looks alarmingly at the strange woman. The sight makes him hesitate a bit, it's not every day you see a woman so nearly naked, except for wenches. But this woman looks nothing like a wench. She has an air of mystery about her. And her clothes (or lack thereof) aren't even the weirdest thing about her; the items she carries, including a live octopus on her belt are strange indeed, and he could've sworn he saw something inhuman moving at her waist.

Although this isn't the first sorceress he has met in his lifetime, magic still startles Slivan when he doesn't see it coming. When he hears her voice, as if whispered in his ear, while being far away, he flinches just a tiny bit, barely noticeably.

Slivan, ready to attack this strange character, who is obviously the source of the trouble at this time of night, is caught a little off guard as she whispers to him from afar. Things don't add up. This is not something an enemy would do, especially not the type of enemies they were expecting. On top of that, she's so beautiful... Slivan discovers he is strangely attracted to this woman, and secretly hopes inside that she is not an evildoer.

Seeing her enter the warehouse, he has a split second to decide whether or not to alarm the others. He hesitates. She enters the warehouse, and he, silently, enters after her, weapons drawn, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 118 posts
Sat 24 Dec 2016
at 16:19
Nose to the Grind Stone
The piercing scream is quickly chorused by yells of fear and anger and slowly the Dwarven Mill reacts to the disturbance. The eight Dwarves manning the walls call to each other and those resting in the barracks grab axes and shields but it is the adventurers that arrive at the warehouse first. From a distance the party glance a beautiful stranger shroud herself with protective energies before darting through the doorway. The party is close behind her and stop behind her, momentarily stunned by the scene of chaos within.

Camp cots are overturned and belongings scattered by frantic flight. One man lies facedown in a slowly spreading pool of blood and a half dozen civilians with swords drawn have formed up protecting those who have fled to the back of the warehouse to hide behind barrels and crates. Looming over them are three monstrous spiders, furred like a wolf and as large as a horse.

OOC: The warehouse is 80ft x 80ft and you have entered through the 10ft wide door in its southern (bottom) wall. The three spiders are side by side in the centre of the room (each fills a 10ft x 10ft square) to the north of them are six civilians lined against them. A lantern on a crate and multiple waving torches light the scene while creating dancing shadows.
Slivan Thantis
 player, 30 posts
Sat 24 Dec 2016
at 23:48
Nose to the Grind Stone
Slivan has seen some big spiders in the forests, but these were absolutely monstrous. Looking at Minerva again, he decides it's better to deal with the spiders first. The civilians are in danger, he must act quickly. He dashes towards one of the spiders, using the momentum to stab it with his rapier, and hoping to catch it off guard.

OOC:
Charge one of the spiders.
If the civilians give me a flanking attack bonus, I didn't take it into account.

01:47, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 15 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.

17:34, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 13 using 1d20+9.† Charge attack with rapier.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Tue 27 Dec 2016.

Anselmoc
 player, 25 posts
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 10:47
Nose to the Grind Stone
Follows the screams and the nearly naked woman to the warehouse, full of anticipation. An anticipation that gives place to frustration. He expected to see some goblins here, but instead he only finds big ugly spiders.

Perhaps he is lucky and a goblin sorcerer capable of summoning them is around


OOC: Initiative
07:44, Today: Anselmoc rolled 19 using 1d20+5.  Initiative.

Minerva Hastings
 player, 5 posts
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 01:41
Nose to the Grind Stone
Minerva carries herself ahead twenty feet, her vestments uplifted, pale body revealed but humbled by the blur of her hurry. Raised, an equally pale hand suddenly thrusts into her spell component pouch, retrieving a dried snake tongue. With a prayer--"Lord of Light, bond thy enemies as thou wouldst a ship to port. Lord of Light, I am your vessel; your foci. Bless us with your secret knowledge. My gut is yours, my throat is yours, my mouth is yours."--the young woman sets the tongue upon her outstretched own, pulls it into herself, and swallows as if it were but a home-baked nourishment. A moment, nothing -- then she twitches, little-to-loads, back in, chest out, feet on curled toes as if enlightened. Her throat distends as if something thick and only half her own forces its way up her gullet--

--then unleashes--her tongue now anew having become a long, powerful tendril. As droplets of spit roll off its length, and her lips, at the aft, the core of the fore makes to wrap about one of the monstrous spiders, attempting to tether it but to the other, its equally monstrous twin.

Minerva then slams her pearly-teeth together, shut, something fierce -- snapping the tendril off. Blood half her own sprays a trickle to her face and chest but she makes no face to suggest any harm felt to herself. Within her closed mouth, her tongue returns to normal. One would hope.


OOC:

20:43, Today: Minerva Hastings rolled 14 using 1d20+1.  Initiative.

-Move 20 ft. then cast Tongue Tendrils

21:12, Today: Minerva Hastings rolled 27 using 1d20+1+5-4+7.  cast Tongue Tendrils (BoVDpg107).

From Book of Vile Darkness, page 107: The casterís tongue becomes a powerful tendril that she may spit up to 30 feet away. This tendril wraps around a target, lashing it to something if possible. The tendril makes a grapple attack using the casterís melee attack bonus (Minerva: 1), dealing no damage but starting a grapple as a Small creature (-4) with a Strength score of 20 (+5). If the tendril wins the grapple check, it wraps around a limb or whatever is appropriate for the foe, lashing it to any nearby object. Each tendril has AC 14, 10 hit points, and a break DC of 24.

Miverva's Aberration Blood (Feat), Deepspawn (Feat), & Octopus Familiar all contribute to her additional +7 grapple misc bonus.

Edited for voice colour.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:59, Thu 29 Dec 2016.

Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 24 posts
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 06:56
Nose to the Grind Stone
Bleynar readies his ofuda as he sees the unsettling woman. Not knowing if she is friend, foe, or something else, he follows his companions to the warehouse, stopping in awe when he sees the giant spiders. He looks to the strange woman.

"Did you summon these things?"


OOC:
00:56, Today: Bleynar Ontafar rolled 10 using 1d20+1.  Initiative.

Minerva Hastings
 player, 6 posts
 Planar Sorceress
 True Neutral
Thu 29 Dec 2016
at 22:23
Nose to the Grind Stone
Using her thumb, the sorceress wipes blood off the refreshed boarder of her tongue, pressing it down then against the side of her thigh to smear it there instead. Without looking over to Bleynar she speaks to him, "Only the Lord of Light calls forth, or banishes. I am but a transient tunnel between His flexible limbs, nothing more, nothing less."
Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 25 posts
Fri 30 Dec 2016
at 04:21
Nose to the Grind Stone
"I will take that as a yes." Bleynar looks at his companions and rolls his eyes.

"We expected goblins. Are you their ally?"
The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 121 posts
Sun 1 Jan 2017
at 11:30
Nose to the Grind Stone
The warehouse is a cacophony of screeches, yells and screams as the spider and civilians enter a vicious fight to the death. On one side the civilians deal a surprising amount of damage. The first spider loses a limb and between Slivans charge and the desperate slashes of three civilians the other two spiders are seriously wounded. Adding to the strangeness of the combat the fey stranger has darted forwarded and her tongue has snaked out nearly thirty feet to bind two of the spiders together, seriously hampering their movement. It's violent detachment has allowed her and Bleynar a terse conversation while Nomin stands at the door, torn between spiders and horses and Anselmoc gathers himself at the door, torn between what to tear.

Not to be underestimated the spiders have lashed back. One of the civilians is badly wounded and barely on his feet, another has taken horrific damage from a bite and is the second to lie in a spreading pool of blood.

OOC: Game map updated, commence round two.
Anselmoc
 player, 28 posts
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 02:00
Nose to the Grind Stone
"I will help Silvan with the spiders, you take care of the pretty spider summoner then."

Anselmoc roars, extending his ghostly claws, and runs past the sorcerer to unleash his fury on the spider ahead. He jumps and twists his body to hit the spider's leg with his ghostly dragon tail.

OOC:
Move: Move northwest 2 times, North 3 times.
Standard: Attack with tail
22:58, Today: Anselmoc rolled 19 using 1d20+5.  Tail attack.

Minerva Hastings
 player, 7 posts
 Planar Sorceress
 True Neutral
Tue 3 Jan 2017
at 03:27
Nose to the Grind Stone
To the two new men. "Do draw different conclusions, won't you..?" Says Minerva more to herself -- as the spider screeching, and civilian screaming, clouds most any attempt she might make to free-action speak. Another whisper spell, truly, not worth wasting a spell slot over.

"Show them the...Light, my Lord." Her outstretched arm, so pale, so slender, suddenly endures the barest bulging of surface veins, thumping at the need of her heart and the weight of her will. A moment, it seems to flex -- as in, bend -- in a way wholly unbecoming of a human arm or for that matter, human arm-bones within.

Vesicles make themselves known from those veins nearest her elegant hand, bursting and popping, the air flooded with what looks a terrible ink -- if ink were made of light. Splitting off into two, and dashing forwards towards the one spider that had not been tethered. Like spears, these magic missiles strike true without ever so much as a hope to dodge.

OOC:
Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; 2 missiles at level three. 1d4+1 damage.
23:16, Today: Minerva Hastings rolled 3 using 1d4+1.  Magic Missile the Second.
23:12, Today: Minerva Hastings rolled 4 using 1d4+1.  Magic Missile the First.
7 damage to the one free spider (For some reason I had thought there only 2, but the map shows 3, thus I attack the one Min didn't tether as it is the most dangerous!)

Tongue Tendrils as a spell requires no concentration to maintain and no apparent subsequent roll to maintain the grapple either. Each tendril has AC 14, 10 hit points, and a break DC of 24.

What the spiders can do while grappled:

The spiders donít threaten any squares while grappling.

The spiders lose their Dexterity bonus to AC (if they have one) against opponents they arenít grappling.

The spiders can attack only against the tether -- with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon. Do to this, they must make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If they win, they deal nonlethal damage as normal for their unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon (ex: non-lethal unarmed 1d4 points for Large attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If they want to deal lethal damage, they take a Ė4 penalty on their grapple check. The Ė4 penalty, and requiring to make an opposed grapple check, are always required in this case.

They can cast provided the spell's casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and they have in hand any material components or focuses they might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that they can cast while grappling, they must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. They donít have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.

The spiders can escape a grapple by individually winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. They can make an Escape Artist check in place of their grapple check if they so desire, but this requires a standard action. If one escapes, it finishes the action by moving into any space adjacent to the other.

They can move half their speed (a spider brings the tether and the other spider it is tethered to in the grapple with it) by winning an opposed grapple check to the tether itself. This requires a standard action, and they must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

In case of a opposed grapple check tie, the combatant with the higher grapple check modifier wins. If this is a tie, roll again to break the tie.

Slivan Thantis
 player, 33 posts
Tue 3 Jan 2017
at 19:35
Nose to the Grind Stone
Slivan ducks as the sorceress's magic passes right over his head and hits the spider. Not wasting any time, Slivan simply attacks the living spider that looks like the biggest threat at the moment.

OOC:

21:35, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 5 using 1d6+1.  Damage with shortsword.
21:34, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  Attack with shortsword.
21:34, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 4 using 1d6+2.  Damage with rapier.
21:29, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 13 using 1d20+5.  Attack with rapier.

Obviously, if my first attack kills I will turn the second attack against a different spider.

Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 26 posts
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 23:29
Nose to the Grind Stone
Bleynar looks at the sorcerer with some distrust but he has other things to worry about. He advances to the spiders to his right and when he is close enough, he casts a spell to incinerate the monstruous vermin.

OOC:
Move: Move Northeast, northeast, North, North, North.
Standard: Cast Burning Hands
20:27, Today: Bleynar Ontafar rolled 15 using 6d4.  Burning Hands damage.
Reflex Save DC 16 for half

The 15ft cone reaches the middle spider and the eastern spider.

The Watchful Prescience
 GM, 122 posts
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 13:27
Nose to the Grind Stone
The fight against these spiders reaches the point of total commitment. Anselmoc, clearly distrustful of the surreal sorceress charges the greater threat, the giant spider and lashes out with his ghostly spectral tail. The spider rears in pain and the sorceress seizes the moment, secreting a pair of liquid light magic missiles which streak clean through the back of the spiders head.

Using the distraction of the civilians Slivan stabs twice, his razor sharp blades drawing blood and squeals from the giant spider he faces. Tangled with its brother and harassed from all sides the central spider is caught full on from the blast of fire that jets forth from Bleynars manicured outstretched hand and curls, a blackened, steaming and stinking husk.

The third spider, tethered and smoking struggles against its bonds. driven by wrath and fear the remaining civilians mob rush the vast arachnid. One, already grievously wounded turns grey and collapses as his exertions open his wound beyond his stamina, the fifth man however, leaping over one blackened corpse plunges his sword into the spiders thorax to pin it twitching in the dirt.

As the screeching of the spiders is silenced and the panic of the cowering civilians become sobs and gasps the screech of more spiders and the angry yells of Dwarves can be heard through out the mill.
Minerva Hastings
 player, 8 posts
 Planar Sorceress
 True Neutral
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 05:20
Nose to the Grind Stone
Minerva turns to the fresh sounds of dwarven-drawn ichor and spider sight and bite screams. For her to say 'More of them' would be rhetorical. Additionally she can hear the sound of her dogs barking from her locked carriage.

Quick on her toes, she slouches beside the fallen and grey civilian to check pulse and observe wound. If but passed out and pulse she feels, she draws on the healing capabilities of the old, rippled, dark-leather belt about her waist, feeding the civilian life. If s/he is gone, Minvera instead applies this to the 1 of the other, worst-for-wear wounded who yet live.

Then she stands and makes haste to the outside yelling for those who feel the Light of the Lord as angry fire in their belly join her, civilian, adventurer or no to the battle beyond the warehouse doors -- and for those who do not to shut and lock the ware house doors, and to lift up and pile the beds or as they see fit to bar them, if not also any windows or wholes from which these spiders might have originated into the place.

Depending on whether or not the turn order has ceased until outside combat is re-initiated for the adventurers, Minerva might then move within thirty feet of her carriage, enacting an outstretched hand, forms ghostly third, to reach her pocket, pluck her carriage key, and unlock to open said carriage to unleash her two guard dogs. Then whispers with magic into the ears of her carriage horses, if they are maddened by spider attack, to be soothed and stay calm -- least they need panic to fuel hooves at spider already making bites at their equine ankles.

OOC:
01:06, Today: Minerva Hastings rolled 6 using 2d8.  Healing Belt: 1 charge.
Only uses this if a deadly wounded, but yet living, civilian or otherwise was in the warehouse.

Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.

Message: Whispered conversation at distance.

Bleynar Ontafar
 player, 27 posts
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 04:17
Nose to the Grind Stone
Bleynar sees the sorcerer trying to assist the wounded and decides she is not an enemy for now. "If the spiders have come here, they can do it again. This place is no longer safe." He asks to one of the survivors. "Have they told you of other places in this keep to hide and be safe?"
Anselmoc
 player, 29 posts
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 10:44
Nose to the Grind Stone
Anselmoc helps the wounded to stand up. If he sees a survivor too weak for his own good, he uses his healing belt to help him recover even more, imitating the sorceress. "Should we protect them in their way to a safer place?"
Slivan Thantis
 player, 34 posts
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 15:47
Nose to the Grind Stone
Slivan looks around for anyone that looks to be critically wounded and dying, and untreated by any of the others. If there are such, he attempts to stabilize them with first aid treatment. He then tries to find and track the spiders' tracks, to see where they came from, also looking out for anything out of the ordinary around the tracks or on and about the carcasses themselves.

He is a little bit surprised seeing Minerva run outside almost as soon as the battle is over, noting to himself to look into it later.


OOC:

17:43, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 21 using 1d20+9.† Survival (track).
17:40, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 11 using 1d20+8.† Search.
17:38, Today: Slivan Thantis rolled 16 using 1d20+2.† Heal.