[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 208 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sat 4 May 2019
at 03:15
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Back at the guard HQ the guards give the party quite the strange looks when they roll up with three men trussed up in the back of a wagon splattered in blood smelling like a rotten slaughterhouse.

One of the deputies at the door steps to block their path and holds up a hand while the other three guards grip their swords and spears tightly.

"Halt! Who goes there! State or business or begone!"

OOC: As a reminder it's late, probably close to midnight by the time you're done searching the shop and hauling the criminals back through the street.

Kraw
 Rogue, 172 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sat 4 May 2019
at 05:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw says "special delivery for Cressida. She around?"
Kyra
 player, 54 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 16:09
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Yes, we are just delivering this bunch to the cells on a mission for the Marshal. Desertion, resisting arrest and being idiots in the first degree." Kyra adds from the back while trying to see if she knows the guards on duty.
Figus Dva
 player, 77 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 00:22
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus decided to keep quite for now. They did not need to explain themselves to all the lowly gate guards.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 94 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 04:20
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Still fuming at the fact that they found nothing NOTHING else at 'All the World's Meat!' she followed the others up to the guards.

She suggested before they reached the guard house that the building was abandoned now, and that maybe they could search it again later?
Cressida Kroft
 NPC, 3 posts
 Human Female
 Field Marshal
Tue 7 May 2019
at 21:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The guards hesitate for a bit considering the scene. Finally the officer in charge sends a runner to wake the Field Marshall from her slumber. Cressida marches out a few minutes later with a determined pace despite looking half-asleep. Her hair is wild, she is in simple underclothes instead of her armored uniform and her eyes never open beyond half-slits however her voice is strong and clear and her command is absolute.

"I thought I had asked you to try and bring them in alive. This kind of slaughter is not becoming of..."

She pauses and wipes the sleep from her eyes as she resolves the dissonance between the ungodly smell of blood and slaughter and the still breathing guards before her. She strides over to the side and lifts the head of Vandercaskin and seeing him still breathing she lets it fall back to the wagon with a soft thump followed by a softer moan from  Verik.

"My apologies for making such a hasty judgement. I see now that you performed your task with considerable care. Verik will stand trial as well as his...three companions. Did the fourth escape or was justice served in a more immediate sense?"

She considers their response before continuing.

"In any event you have exceeded my expectations. When the Queen sent you over to help I admit I was nervous that this was a purely political appointment but now I am confident she sent you here to truly help restore order to the city. Go get yourselves cleaned up and rest in the barracks. Report to me tomorrow at 08:00 and I will have your reward ready, as well as your next assignment if you so choose.  Guardsmen Figus and Kyra, consider that an order on all accounts. You two...Kraw was it? And Ayeesha? Consider it an invitation that I would greatly appreciate you accepting."
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 95 posts
Tue 7 May 2019
at 22:00
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha raised an eyebrow at Cressida's state of dress, but said nothing at first. When asked about the guards she replied, "They have a saying where I come from. Two out of three ain't bad. I figure three out of four is even better, right?"

She shrugged at the offer of the barracks. "Place to sleep is as good as any. And just so we're clear, we get to keep what we found on the deserters and in their lair, right?"

"You got a wizard or anybody who is good at identifying magic stuff on the guard payroll? They should have a look at this."

She indicated the ornate silver dagger OOC: Can't remember who is holding it. Kraw?

Do we have an accounting of what we got off of Vencaskerkin and the other deserters, or looted from 'All the World is Meat'?

Kraw
 Rogue, 174 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 7 May 2019
at 23:11
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw pulls out the silver dagger. He indicates the dead body on the side. "had to kill one.  Couldn't get to him with the usual sap. "
Figus Dva
 player, 78 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 00:29
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus listened to what the commander had to say. It was unusual to hear her apologize, but welcome. A commander who could admit to a mistake was one worth admiring. When order to report   in the morning Figus saluted  "Yes sir! And thank you sir!" was his reply.
Kyra
 player, 55 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 12:47
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra too gives a salute, but hers is much less snappy and much more tired. It's been a long day.

Kyra can try to identify the dagger tomorrow. Arrows, she can try now.
14:46, Today: Kyra rolled 21 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 14.  Spellcraft.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 99 posts
Sat 18 May 2019
at 03:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha was happy to take a rest, even if it wasn't her first choice, the barracks was fine. She moved with Kyra to find an open bed.
Kraw
 Rogue, 177 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sat 18 May 2019
at 04:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw will make his excuses and get to work on selling off the loot and making a purchase of a CLW wand. After a few hours, he returns to the barracks, having cleaned himself up. He hands a CLW wand to whomever can use it, and passes out 3 sacks of 89gp and 25 sp (the split from the remaining loot). He tells the others "We got 'credit' from the guard for their issued equipment, since it wasn't ours to sell off. Still, it's over 800 gp worth, and I figure that if we are going to do more work for these guys, we can use that credit for specialized equipment, like the saps and manacles I had to get for this caper."
Kyra
 player, 59 posts
Wed 22 May 2019
at 05:45
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra will take the wand from Kraw. "I'll try to put this to good use."

Unless someone has Use magic device skill, Kyra is the only one that can use it. Anyway, ready to move on.
Figus Dva
 player, 87 posts
Wed 22 May 2019
at 23:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus get some alchemical items and some vials using the guard credit and hands each member some smelling salts, an antitoxin and a vial of acid. "These can be useful. If you need them, you really need them. We still have about 500 in credit if anyone needs something specific."
Kyra
 player, 60 posts
Sun 26 May 2019
at 14:47
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"I am sure they will come useful, thank you." Kyra stuffs the items in her belt  pouch and sticks the wand of healing under her belt. "Did anyone hear anything new of what is expected of us now?"
Cressida Kroft
 NPC, 4 posts
 Human Female
 Field Marshal
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The next morning...

Once again the group is brought to Cressida's office but this time she is not alone. Standing next to her is an older gentleman who despite his years appears to be in excellent shape.

For now he stands quietly to the side while Cressida congratulates the group once again.

"Once again thank you for dealing with Vancaskerkin. We will have his trial set up by the end of the week and I expect him to be thrown behind bars for a very long time. Your next assignment is one that our guest here has brought to my attention. For those who don't know, this is Vencarlo Orisini, one of Korvosa's most respected instructors in fencing and swordplay."
Vencarlo Orisini
 NPC, 1 post
 Human Male
 Instructor
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:42
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Before Cressida can continue Vencarlo bows deeply and smiles broadly.

"The Field Marshall has been telling me about what you did last night and I must say I am very impressed. You were able to overcome a fortified position, well done indeed. That you captured the culprits alive is impressive, most impressive indeed. If only Korvosa had more fine folk such as you we might already be out of this mess."

He reaches out and shakes everyone's hands, making sure to kiss the back of the ones of Kyra and Ayeesha with a sly little wink.

"I would love to witness a demonstration of your fighting capabilities. Perhaps we could teach one another a thing or two, yes?"
Cressida Kroft
 NPC, 5 posts
 Human Female
 Field Marshal
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Cressida clears her throat and cuts off Vencarlo.

"As much as I would enjoy continuing the conversation, I fear we just don’t have time. Vencarlo has often come to me with news of important changes on the streets, and this is no different. What he’s learned could degrade into sanctions, embargos, or even war against Cheliax if we don’t act now. This problem is a man named Darvayne Gios Amprei. You might have heard of him, he's an ambassador from Cheliax whose disdain for Korvosa is well documented, and yet he's taken great pleasure in what our city has to offer. Even before this recent unrest, this man was ready to recommend to his government a sanction on trade, or perhaps even an embargo. Vencarlo has learned through his own considerable sources that Ambassador Amprei's actual goals are to undermine Korvosa's economy to the point where he can buy up large portions of the city from desperate landholders and establish himself in a position of power here. Whatever the ambassador's reasons, we can't let his bias or personal plans hurt Korvosa. Yet neither can we take drastic action. Not only would killing him be wrong, but it'd simply martyr him in Cheliax's eyes.

Fortunately, Darvayne has his foibles. Again, Vencarlo has learned that Ambassador Amprei has been making fairly regular visits to a place in Old Korvosa called Eel's End. This den of vice is run by a dangerous man named Devargo Barvasi, better known in Korvosa's alleys as the King of Spiders. I'd love to put Barvasi out of business, but he pays his vice taxes regularly and never causes any problems. In fact, since he keeps his business constrained entirely within the five ships moored at Eel's End, he's actually one of the least of my worries. Truth be told, I can't decide whether Devargo is a stirge or a kraken. He seems like a bloodsucking pest most days, but sometimes I fear just how far his tentacles have wormed their way into our great city. In this case though, his insidious web stretching across Korvosa's underworld might prove to our advantage.

Devargo would never let someone he recognizes as an ally of the Guard into Eel's End, but your group's a different case. Ayeesha and Kraw are just adventurers and Figus and Kyra...well no offense but neither of you fit in exactly. I'd like you to pay a visit to Eel’s End and secure an audience with Devargo. Find out what he knows about Amprei, get proof of any illicit goings-on the ambassador might be involved with, and bring that proof to me to use to undermine any forthcoming attempts by him to get Cheliax to cut us off. Devargo might not be willing to part with his information easily. I'll supply you with some gold to bribe him, and whatever's left over you can keep for yourself. Remember: the man is dangerous, but so are you. If things get violent, I wouldn't mourn his passing."


She hands over a pouch of coins containing 1,000gp. She then turns to Figus and Kyra.
Kraw
 Rogue, 181 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 28 May 2019
at 04:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw notes wryly "keep up that patronizing attitude and I think Ayeesh's demonstrations about her prowess will be your number one concern." Kraw doesn't care about diplomacy. Kraw adds to Cressida "I believe you mentioned a reward for bringing in the Guardsmen alive last night. As this gold is for bribes, May I ask what reward you had in mind?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:01, Tue 28 May 2019.

Kyra
 player, 62 posts
Tue 28 May 2019
at 17:58
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra just gives a reserved nod to Vencarlo and waits to hear what else Cressida has to say to them.
Cressida Kroft
 NPC, 6 posts
 Human Female
 Field Marshal
Tue 28 May 2019
at 18:02
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Cressida nods at Kraw and pulls out another pouch of gold.

"My apologies, I never intended to withhold your reward..."

Vencarlo smiles and lets out a few soft tsk tsk sounds as the Field Marshal digs around in her desk and produces a second bag of gold, equal to the first.

"As promised for delivering Vancaskerkin alive the thousand gold reward. As for this task..."

She reaches in and pulls out another pouch, this one smaller than the other two.

"I can kick in another 500 gold for a reward given how quickly you were able to complete the last one. 1,500gp that you can use as you like although before you spend it you might want to keep some handy if you wish to approach Eel's End diplomatically. If you plan on going in with swords and sorcery consider the full payment and extra as tokens of my appreciation."
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 103 posts
Tue 28 May 2019
at 23:20
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha looked at Kraw, wondering what he was bringing up her for. "Not that I ever mind showing off my, um, prowess," she smiled at Cressida, then wider at Vencarlo.

"But I don't mind being called an adventurer. Been called worse, believe me."

She happily took on her share of the reward. "Much obliged."

"Is this another one of those don't kill things mission?" she asked with a frown.

OOC: So 1500 gold divided by 4 is 375 right? I've kind of lost track of my purchases and resources...
Kraw
 Rogue, 185 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 28 May 2019
at 23:38
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw winces. "This might be slightly more difficult than I originally thought. I assume that some people know that Gaedron Lamm is dead. But if any word has escaped about who eliminated him this might be rough. It isn't well known, but Gaedron had connections to DeVargo."
Figus Dva
 player, 89 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 03:50
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"But, Kyra and myself had nothing to do Gaedron thing, so we may be able to present another face. We need a plan. Why would Devargo would even see us?"
Vencarlo Orisini
 NPC, 2 posts
 Human Male
 Instructor
Wed 29 May 2019
at 14:11
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
From the side Vencarlo pipes up.

"Why does the King of Spiders do anything? Gold, of course."

He nodded towards the large pouch of coins that the Field Marshall had given them as a bribe for Devargo.
Figus Dva
 player, 91 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 14:32
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: Can we make Knowledge Local checks to see what we may know about this Devargo guys and his establishment outside what we have been told here? Would it also be possible to Gather Information (Diplomacy) on the same, or do we not have the time?

"I see. So we can go straight in, or sneak, or both. And, the choice is ours. We will do our duty of course."

Figus salutes.
Kyra
 player, 64 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 20:12
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra gives an absentminded salute as well as she tries to remember what she knows about this man Devargo.

In case Knowledge: Local is appropriate:
22:11, Today: Kyra rolled 24 using 1d20+11 with rolls of 13.  Knowledge: Local.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 219 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 30 May 2019
at 15:40
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Of course Kyra is familiar with Eel's End. It is a collection of five boats converted into a small red-light district.

The largest of the ship is the Eel's End where the King of Spiders holds his court and where most of the partying and revelry happens. Surrounding it is the Goldenhawk, which has been converted into a makeshift inn for people to sleep off their vices, the Twin Tiger which is a gambling hall, the House of Clouds which has been turned into a brothel and the Dragon's Breath which has been turned into a pesh den.

What the Field Marshal and Vencarlo contributed was accurate, the Devargo is a scumbag but he is a smart one, he knows that as long as he keeps the watch well bribed and the trouble low he's viewed as more of an annoyance than a threat. He has complete control over his little end but also provides an unspoken service to the city by concentrating crime in one known area away from the everyday citizens of Korvosa.

He is ruthless as any crime boss has to be but not unnecessarily so. Basically if you're part of the criminal underworld he can be quite threatening but outsiders like civilians and the watch are usually treated with a modicum of respect to avoid attracting trouble from the watch.

Finally there are rumors that his nickname is more than just a name. It is said he has the blood of fiends running through him and can command spiders to do his bidding. As such his favorite tactics involve feeding people to giant spiders or using spider venom coated weapons.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 106 posts
Fri 31 May 2019
at 04:50
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Lovely," she shivered as Kyra recounted the love affair Devargo had with his spiders.

"Guess we need to make friends with this upstanding citizen. I wonder, apart from the money, what might a kind of spiders want, hmm? More spiders? Dare we try to bluff him with the promise of a large colony of dream spiders? Or is that more dangerous than simply offering cash? The problem with walking into a heavily armed underworld den with large amounts of cash is the risk that you never walk out again."

She shrugged, thinking out loud.

"either way, as Kraw says, we should go buy some new clothes, finery appropriate for a trip to a brothel and den of vice. It would be wise to prepare ourselves for swarms of spiders as well. My sword does little against tiny vermin. Some anti-venom as Figus suggests as well."

OOC: buying say 200 gp worth of clothes for +2 masterwork tool bonus to social skills, as well as what four vials of antitoxin for another 200? Anything else?
Kraw
 Rogue, 190 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Fri 31 May 2019
at 05:35
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: 4 sets of swarm suits? Alchemists fire and oil to combat swarms?
Vencarlo Orisini
 NPC, 3 posts
 Human Male
 Instructor
Fri 31 May 2019
at 15:26
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: Make sure you're updating your equipment and loot thread

As the group prepares to leave Vencarlo speaks up.

"I happen to be traveling back to my academy and our paths happen to be the same until we reach Old Korvosa. I'd love to walk with you, if you'll have me."

Vencarlo Orisini is a tall man of advanced years, yet with a twinkle in his eye and a bounce to his step that hints at a vibrancy and inner fire of a man under half his age. He wears his salt-and-pepper hair pulled back tightly into a bravo’s top-knot. His eyes are a cast of deep green like the ocean after a storm. He is of Old Chelish blood, and it shows. Orisini wears black leather gloves to ensure the oils of his skin don’t rust the pommel of his shining steel rapier. This rapier is his pride, and he speaks of it in tones normally reserved for a loved one.


He talks about his time teaching the youth of Korvosa the way of the sword and he has an energetic charm in talking about his obvious passion. His smile fades a bit when he started telling a humorous story about a couple recent apprentices of his and quickly halts mid-conversation before completely switching the subject to the party.



"So, what has brought you to the watch? I mean no offense but none of you seem like the kind of sort to be very happy patrolling the streets for drunkards or chasing off thieves. All of you seem to have spark for adventure beating in your hearts to be taking on these kinds of missions without question. What keeps your feet moving towards danger instead of away like a sane person's?"

He says that last little comment with a friendly grin and a joking tone.
Figus Dva
 player, 96 posts
Fri 31 May 2019
at 19:18
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus nods his head. "I got tired. Tired of not getting any respect. No one likes a half breed. Not in this town. If my father was perhaps just a 'normal' elf, perhaps I would have gotten away with it, but as is ... Its the first thing people notice. Joining the guard was a way up, a way to get respect. I can't help that I am better at these sort of things than marching in step. Just glad the guard can use my abilities. I guess am not that sane"

Figus looks at Vencarlo to see if he gets a reaction from that.
Kraw
 Rogue, 194 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Fri 31 May 2019
at 20:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw says to Vencarlo "I wouldn't mind some pointers in fencing. I use the twin blade style myself. Oh, and as for what DeVargo might want other than gold is Influence, either through information or leverage. He might not know that Lamm is dead. As I still have Lamm's books, I'm betting that one or more of them lists either his assets or the names and amounts of the people he bribed. A Crime Lord is always looking to expand his empire."
Kyra
 player, 72 posts
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 19:33
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Oh, it was the spiffy uniforms that made me join." Kyra answers to Vencario with a perfectly straight face.

DM, is it possible for Kyra to take a quick look at those books, if only to try to determine what they are about?
Vencarlo Orisini
 NPC, 4 posts
 Human Male
 Instructor
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 00:58
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Vencarlo laughs at Figus' comment.

"Maybe. Maybe sanity is in short supply but it  makes life so much more exciting."

At Kraw's comment he pats his rapier.

"I would greatly enjoy putting your skills to the test. While I prefer a longer blade I am sure there are lessons to be learned for any fighting style."

To Kyra he just laughs and nods.

"Oh yes, nothing but the height of fashion for Korvosa's guards. Although rumor has it the Queen is looking to redesign them to better match her Southern sensibilities."

When he turns to Ayeesha he frowns, noting the sweaty sheen on her forehead.

"Are... are you okay tall one? You do not look too well."
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 108 posts
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 04:38
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
At Vencarlo's question, Ayeesha stumbled and grabbed his shoulder for support. She really didn't look well, pale and sweaty.

"I think I must have picked something up at the slaughterhouse. I don't know what, but I don't feel so good. I think it'd be best if we could swing by a temple, maybe inquire about some healing? Is there one nearby?"
Kyra
 player, 73 posts
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 04:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra takes a worried look at Ayeesha. "We better do something quick. You look like death warmed over."

Kyra has the heal skill and a healing kit. Could that be used to treat her disease (if this is a disease)?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 225 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 19:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: DC 14 for the Heal check
Figus Dva
 player, 103 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 20:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: Can others Aid?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 226 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 20:25
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: If you're trained, sure!
Figus Dva
 player, 104 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 20:38
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: Why would we need to be trained? It is a skill that can be used untrained with just a modifier.
Kyra
 player, 74 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 21:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Ah, this is beyond me. She needs proper treatment. Who knows what she could have picked up in that butcher's shop."

No amount of Aid another is going to help with this roll, I'm afraid. But can Kyra give her kit and help someone else to treat her? Or can this check be retried?
22:59, Today: Kyra rolled 6 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 2.  Heal (DC 14).

Kraw
 Rogue, 201 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 23:12
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw tries using his limited knowledge of treating boo-boos. "I think Yarrow root is used to treat high fevers."

Heal check 13 on d20+2.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 109 posts
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 04:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Can we maybe go?" she stopped herself with a coughing fit.

"Maybe *cough* go see a professional? Not that I don't trust you guys but,"
she trailed off into another coughing fit.

"I don't know the streets that well. Surely there are temples in Korvosa?"
Kyra
 player, 75 posts
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 04:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra tries to help Kraw with treating Ayeesha.

Just made it if aid another is possible here.
06:47, Today: Kyra rolled 11 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 7.  Aid another (Heal).

Dungeon Master
 GM, 227 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sun 9 Jun 2019
at 05:32
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra recognizes the problem as filth fever. It's treatable with the right herbs but treatment does involve a fair amount of rest.

OOC: Kyra can cure the disease but the damage will remain unless a couple of lesser restoration spell is cast costing 60gp a pop.

Kyra
 player, 76 posts
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 06:06
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra helps Kraw diagnose the illness and selects the right herbs to treat it. "Take these, they should stop further progression of the disease. As for the weakness you are feeling, to recover you just need to rest. A lot, I'm afraid. It's either that or we find a priest and cough up enough money to fix you up with a spell or two."

I can give some money if it would help.
Kraw
 Rogue, 202 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 06:16
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: Loot sold off netted each of us 89 gold and 25 silver. Kraw handed sacks to each person containing that amount. Also, Cressida handed out a reward coming to 375 gold each. She has plenty to pay for a cure.
Kyra
 player, 77 posts
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 07:50
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra tries to remember where they could find the closest cleric that could help Ayeesha.

09:48, Today: Kyra rolled 22 using 1d20+11 with rolls of 11.  Knowledge: Local.

Ah, I did not realize we each got a cut from Cressida, thought she only gave us the cash for the bribe. But if someone needs money now, Kyra can still lend her part. Now that she has a wand there's not much else in way of gear that she needs (or can afford at the moment) anyway.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 111 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 21:52
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"I'm no use like this. Unless we want to wait a few days to take on this mission, I'm going to need to pay for restoration. Help me get to a temple and get this done."
Figus Dva
 player, 105 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 02:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Lets go. There is no point in wasting time. Lets get Ayeesha cured and get this done with. If she was wounded, we would take care of it in a minute. How is this different?"

Figus takes lead in taking Ayeesha to be cured.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:39, Sat 15 June 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 229 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 03:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Vencarlo leads the group up through the Midland and into Five Corners where they can stop at the Sanctuary of Shelyn for a quick bit of healing to purge Ayeesha of her fever.

OOC: 120gp cures you 1pt each. A third casting will heal you completely if you want.

Once out of the tender care of the Shelyn priestesses they continue to head North through the Mainshore passing into the web of corridors and makeshift bridges that make up the Narrows.
Vencarlo Orisini
 NPC, 5 posts
 Human Male
 Instructor
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 03:52
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Vencarlo grins and shakes everyone's hands before departing.

"I must say I really appreciate you undertaking this task. I have lived here for most of my life and want only for the best for my fair city. If you have time afterwards feel free to come visit me. My home and my academy are both located on the East side of Garrison Hill..."

He points to the West where the hill of Old Korvosa slopes upwards.

"And your destination is right down this way. Just follow the river to the very last pier. Good luck my friends, may Desna bless your blades!"

With one last friendly wave Vencarlo turns and heads deeper into the tight and ramshackle slums of Old Korvosa.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 230 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 03:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
A sprawl of light and sound marks the first (or last, depending on your orientation) pier of Old Korvosa. Unlit lanterns in the shape of dream spiders and god’s eyes hang from pilings or lampposts. Overall Eel’s End seems quiet and subdued during the day, yet the place never truly sleeps. Here is a place that caters to the vices and base needs of Old Korvosa at all hours.

The pier itself is 70 feet long, although its last 30 feet widen into a large square platform on the water. Five ships are moored to the pier—the largest of these is the Eel’s End, a warship that serves as the stronghold of Devargo Barvasi and the administrative center of his entire operation. Each of the other four barges are owned by various peddlers and captains, and they pay regular rent for the honor of attaching to Eel’s End.

The sound of carousing booms from the elegantly painted ships moored to this long pier. Large signs painted in several languages hang from ropes slung between ships or are nailed to pilings. The closest ship to the east bears a sign that says, “The Twin Tigers—Take the Tiger by the Tail and Try Your Luck!” Opposite that, to the west, a barge’s sign says, “Welcome to the Goldenhawk—No Safer Stay in Old Korvosa!” Further to the southeast is “Dragon’s Breath Corridor—Dream the Dragon’s Dreams at Affordable Prices!”, while opposite that is the “House of Clouds—The Caress of Our Lovelies Will Take You Straight to Heaven!”

Only the largest ship, to the south, bears no signage at all. Short rope bridges or gangplanks provide access to the decks of these ships from the pier, or from the decks of other ships. Sailors, thugs, drunkards, prostitutes, and what could even be a few well-dressed nobles carouse on the pier and the decks of all five ships, seemingly oblivious to Korvosa’s recent troubles. Here and there, large men dressed in chainmail patrol the area, grim faces in a sea of revelry.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 114 posts
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 04:16
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
OOC: 2 is enough, shoudl take me to 14 con I think. The other will come back after a night's sleep I think, right?

"I'm feeling much better now. Let's get moving."

She waved goodbye to Vencarlo. She'd used her sleeves of many garments to disguise herself in a rather revealing evening gown. The better to make an impression with.

"That's gotta be it," she pointed to the ship with no sign.
Kraw
 Rogue, 203 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 08:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw uses his own Sleeves to deck himself in Fine clothing. He says "based on what I know, I might be able to secure a meeting with the big man. Figus, you and Kyra want to be out bodyguards?"


Knowledge Local 12 on d20+7. Figure out who to talk to about getting an audience with the King of Spiders.
Kyra
 player, 78 posts
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 20:58
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"That's a new job for me, but why not?"

One thing, Kyra has spend some time looking at the books we were hoping to trade here, and from what the DM is telling me, they are completely worthless. Probably a bad idea to even offer them worthless. Kyra can give this information in character as well if needed.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 232 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Tue 18 Jun 2019
at 04:55
Re: [1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw:
Knowledge Local 12 on d20+7. Figure out who to talk to about getting an audience with the King of Spiders.



There are a couple of beefy looking guards standing by the entrance ramp to the unmarked ship.
Figus Dva
 player, 106 posts
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 00:42
Re: [1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus nods his head in agreement to Kraw's suggestion.

"So? Lets just go up and ask for an audience"
Kraw
 Rogue, 205 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 07:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw moves up close to the beefy men, his clothes looking like finely-tailored pieces, and asks in a low voice "would it be possible to speak with Mr Barvasi? I have information he might not be aware of, as well as a business opportunity. "
Dungeon Master
 GM, 233 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 19:08
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The guards look at one another, look at Kraw and then back at one another.

Finally one turns back, spits at the ground right in front of Kraw and rumbles out

"He's busy..."
Kraw
 Rogue, 206 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 20:13
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw nods knowingly. "I understand. Upon reflection, it's likelier that the guards would pay more for this information that Barvasi would. And maybe it's better for Korvasa that one criminal's empire gets shut down entirely rather than expand the Spider's reach.  Say, what's your name? If one of Barvasi's agents corners me in an alley and asks me at knifepoint why I didn't come to him with this, I'd like to point him in the right direction."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 234 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 20:24
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The guard just smirks.

"My name is No Entry, birdy-boy."
Kraw
 Rogue, 209 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 03:13
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw makes a little motion with his hands. After a moment, he says to a spot behind the two (as he activates twin wrist-sheathes with saps loaded) "Figus, please don't do that." When the two turn to face the bodyguard, Kraw tries to knock both out with heavy saps.

Vs 1
Sap attack, flanking 14 on d20+5.
Damage 2 on d6+1.
Sneak Attack 4 on d4.
6 nonlethal damage

Vs 2
Sap attack, flanking 21 on d20+5.
Damage 4 on d6+1
Sneak Attack 1 on 1d4.
5 nonlethal damage

This message was last edited by the player at 03:18, Thu 20 June 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 111 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 12:30
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus follows Kraw with attacks of his own on the guards.

08:29, Today: Figus Dva rolled 8 using 1d6+3 with rolls of 5.
08:26, Today: Figus Dva rolled 6 using 1d6+5 with rolls of 1.
08:25, Today: Figus Dva rolled 11 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 6.
08:25, Today: Figus Dva rolled 13 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 8.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 118 posts
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 22:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Stunned at the outburst of violence, Ayeesha reacted by grabbing the closest guard who remained conscious. Or trying to.




CMB to grapple guard to prevent him from running inside and alerting others (eating an AoO, but the guard doesn't seem to have a weapon out so that's not so bad)


16:55, Today: Ayeesha rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  CMB grapple any conscious guard.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 237 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 04:35
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As Kraw and the others contemplate violence a couple of factors come to light.

  • The area is quiet but there are still more than a few other people moving around. Nobody has checked to see if any of them are other guards or people coherent enough that seeing violence they wouldn't raise the alarm.

  • The guards are sturdy looking chaps wearing decent armor and weaponry. On par with the guard at least. These aren't trumped up bullies who'd piss their pants at signs of violence but more akin to trained mercenaries that, judging by their scars, have seen a fair amount of action and probably wouldn't go down to a simple sucker punch.



And OOC fyi this would be a CR 7 fight. Definitely challenging but because of the limited terrain you could pull it off with some serious luck. Someone with knowledge about the underworld would know that they probably wouldn't kill you outright if you lost, but would take you to the boss for interrogation and then probably kill you.

Kraw
 Rogue, 212 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 09:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw checks his action. Instead, he reaches into his pocket and asks "would 5 gold for each of you get me an audience with the boss?"

OOC: In Light of the many witnesses, this wasn't the situation I was envisioning. Thus, Kraw is going to try bribery.
Figus Dva
 player, 116 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 14:15
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus plays out the fight in his head, and decides that it would not be fair ... to the guards. They are just doing their job and do not deserve to be punished. Better a small payment as Kraw was offering them.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 238 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 04:18
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The two thugs grin and hold out their hands. Once the coins were transferred the one thug spits again.

"Oh look, I think the King might be in now."

He lets off a sharp whistle that is repeated twice more by guards along the way.

"Go straight back to the double doors."




Several drunkards, sailors, and revelers dance and drink on the large open main deck here, while the aft deck is relatively clear. A pair of large double doors bearing a complex painting of a spider allows entrance into the stern section of the main deck.

Another pair of guards stands flanking the double doors and up above in the rigging they can see another four guards in hammocks, either drinking or asleep.

As the group approaches the pair of guards look at one another and then one of them knocks on the wooden doors before opening it up to let the group inside.

The doors open into a large room, once a captain’s cabin, that has been converted into a throne room of sorts. The walls are thick with spiderwebs, in which scuttle dozens of spiders, some as large as a fist but most considerably smaller. These spiders seem content to stay in their webs and do not venture into the room itself, which is furnished with two sturdy oaken tables surrounded by chairs. Aft, a wooden stage supports a large leather chair, itself covered with cobwebs and scampering spiders. A narrow door stands to port, hanging ajar and revealing a flight of stairs leading below. An iron birdcage hangs from the ceiling like a chandelier, inside of which lingers a tiny, tired-looking purple dragon.

Inside sitting on the raised chair is the self-styled King of Spiders, Devargo Barvasi. He is a tall man with close-cropped black hair, a warm smile, and blue eyes. He accents his black leather armor with a steel spider-shaped shoulder baldric and a thick chain criss- crossing his chest, linked together in the shape of a spider’s web. His signature weapons—gauntlets fixed with blades over the knuckles sit on the arms of the chair in easy reach and glisten with poison. Now and then, spiders clamber over his skin, but he takes no notice.

Meanwhile at the table six more thugs are eating a large feast. While they are chatting excitedly with one another, making boasts about eating or drinking or sexual conquests they all are casting nervous occasional looks towards Devargo who seems to be studying them.
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 1 post
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 04:26
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The rowdy thugs at the table fall silent as the group walks in. Hands drop to their belts at the daggers and clubs held there but then Devargo lets out a cold smile and gestures the party forward.

"Well then, come on in. What is it you seek from the King of Spiders?"
Kraw
 Rogue, 213 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 07:16
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Prior to bracing the Spider in his web, Kraw swallows the antitoxin as a preventative. Kraw takes the books from his satchel and says "first of all, we have a goodwill gift for you, sir. As you may well know, Gaedren Lamm no longer breathes. These ledgers were found by his body. I cannot read them, so I have no idea if these are important. But someone in a position to take advantage of his absence might need whatever is concealed on these pages. I give these freely to you." Kraw sets the books down on the table before the King.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 122 posts
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 22:33
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She made note of the number of thugs and guards on the way in. It wasn't a good number for them. They weren't going to fight their way out of this place.

Intimidation, her forte, didn't seem to be that great an idea at the moment either. She continued to let Kraw and Kyra do the talking, noting any leers from the guards at her in her evening gown.
Figus Dva
 player, 117 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 01:16
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus plays his part of a bodyguard. Look tough and stay quite was the nature of the job. Figus stuck to the script.
Kyra
 player, 84 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 07:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Taking note from Kraw, Kyra downs a vial of antitoxin as well before boarding the ship. Inside she sticks to the back, not being a great fan of arachnids. She waits to see how Devargo will respond.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 123 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2019
at 22:23
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Seeing Kyra, she realized she'd forgotten the anti-toxin. Hopefully no one would find it threatening that she drank the potion in the presence of the king of spiders, but she did.
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 2 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 22:13
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
A big spider crawls up from behind him, over his shoulder and down his arm without him taking any notice. He brings his hand up to study the spider and then it scurries back as he raises his hand, motioning for one of the thugs to grab the journal and bring it to him.

The thug is eager and nervous, jumping to attention and scrambling to get it done in a speedy manner. The thug hesitates a bit approaching the spider covered throne but his nerve overcomes his fear and he steps right up to hand the journal to Devargo.

Devargo thumbs through a couple of pages before setting them down in his lap.

"I see. And I'm guessing you're just a good and honest citizen coming to perform your duty and reporting what has happened. Out of the blue with no strings attached?"

Anger starts to creep into his voice and the spiders get agitated, scurrying up and over one another as well as Devargo.

"You just happened to find Lamm's dead body or did you happen to create that corpse?"

His voice gets louder and louder. The thugs have all stopped eating and their hands are all uncomfortably close to their weapons. The spiders are now swarming, moving back and forth in a tide as more and more come out of the woodwork apparently attracted by their king's anger.

"OR MAYBE...YOU'VE COME HERE...TO CREATE A FEW MORE!?"

The accusation lashes out at the party. There is the sudden sound of steel on leather as the thugs all start pulling swords and daggers and getting up from the table.

For a brief second the room is still as death itself.

Then the tension breaks as Devargo breaks into a giant grin, holding his stomach to keep from laughing too hard. The thugs all look at one another with a questioning look and a few begin to chuckle half-heartedly but all have their weapons drawn, looking between Devargo and the party and back again.

Finally the King of Spiders sits back down, motioning for his thugs to resume their meal.

"Ha ha ha, I'm just taking the piss out of you. Lamm was a parasite and the way he handled his business it isn't any surprise to anyone with brains between their ears that someone would put him down. He was a cockroach though. At least a dozen times he should have gotten himself crunched and yet he would turn up later on. If you put him down for good then good riddance. Consider the matter resolved. Unless there is an ulterior motive for you marching in here and stating you've murdered one of my associates..."
Figus Dva
 player, 118 posts
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 00:35
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus' face did not move, but if he was to be honest, he was ready to sell his life doing as much damage as he could and the King of Spiders would have been his first target. That scenario was still likely. 'If only we could get him alone. Maybe burning does this garbage scow is not such a bad idea.'
Kraw
 Rogue, 214 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 04:12
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
In reply to Devargo Barvasi (msg # 77):

Kraw decides to be honest. "The man ruined my life. I have no regrets returning the favor. And since when does anybody come waltzing in here without an ulterior motive? As dark and shady as this city can get, it's still my home. I'm hearing rumors about a Chelish ambassador who is trying to buy or leverage property in Korvosa. Given some comments I have heard attributed to this man, I don't think he has this city's best interests in mind. I was hoping that a man with your resources would have the means to dig up some dirt on this man that I can use to dissuade him from making inroads in the city."
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 124 posts
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 04:20
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"You're a funny guy," she muttered at the tension punctured by the joke, but truly appreciated his humor.

Hearing Kraw lay out their request, she simply stood behind him, arms crossed ready to back him up. This wasn't a place for violence or intimidation so she felt a little lost.
Kyra
 player, 85 posts
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 08:10
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Yes, very funny. Just to die for." Kyra mutters to herself and lets go of a smokestick she was holding in her pocket.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 125 posts
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 13:03
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She moved forward to talk to the king herself. This was her job, even if she wasn't prepared.

"Like my fine feathered friend says, we are looking for an ambassador, and what you know about him. korvosa is in a rough spot about now. War with Cheliax will make this look like a tea party. Bad for business, I'd think."




I think we decided with a 3 diplomacy had to be me so here goes nothing...


06:58, Today: Ayeesha rolled 19 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 16.  Think it has to be diplomacy.
Kraw
 Rogue, 215 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 15:02
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw rolled 20 on d20. Diplomacy (Aid another).
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 3 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 04:58
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo smiles and points his finger, nodding to himself>

"You see that boys! When you've got your finger on the pulse of the city there's no telling who'll come sniffing around for scraps. Yeah I may know about a Chelixian ambassador. It'd be a real shame to the muckety-mucks if trade was disrupted but you see, I've got here what's known as a recession proof commodity. You see that? Sounds fancy, right? Learned that term from an Abadar priest. I just know that no matter how the city suffers, people are still going to need their daily fix.

So maybe I know something, maybe I don't..."


He props up one of his hands on the arm of his chair and starts rubbing his fingers together in the universal gesture for money.
Kraw
 Rogue, 217 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 06:27
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Before attempting to make an offer, Kraw mentally reviews what he knows of the streets and what types of information command what amount of monetary grease to 'loosen'.

OOC: Best guess for an initial offer.

Knowledge Local 20 on d20+7.
Figus Dva
 player, 121 posts
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 20:07
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus decided to chime in. "Recession proof commodity? Maybe you are right, but you are free to run a business only while the guard allows it. Trade gets disrupted and their pockets get light. They still got mouths to feed and favors to buy for their girlfriends. Who do you think they will come to then? No, you are just as interested in things staying as they are as everyone else. There are no long term profits in Chaos."
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 4 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 21:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Best guess Kraw would think around 2,000gp would be of equal value to what they are asking but there might be other ways to bring that price down.




Devargo grins at Figus and shakes his head.

"You couldn't be farther from the truth, my dark friend. When pockets go light, people get desperate and desperate people will come to me like flies to my web. If the guards thought they could put me under their thumbs they would have done so already. No, they need me and if a few of them get greedy, well there are always others willing to do a rough job for a bit of walking around money. Guards who come this way with unfriendly thoughts don't tend to come this way again. No Chaos is where I thrive. Chaos means those in power are too busy looking the other way to see my web creeping out slowly but surely."
Figus Dva
 player, 122 posts
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 21:51
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus snickers "So you say. You keep things under control and do not let things spill over. The customers are happy and safe in your care. That keeps the guard off your back. You are worth more to them, because you lessen their job and let them concentrate in other areas. Chaos would not suit you. It leaves your customers with less money to spend on what you provide. It will make them desperate, and they will come seeking to take what they can no longer afford. Oh yeah, sure they will suffer and you are strong enough to make them pay, but now things are not smooth. Now the guard would need to get involved and you will need to pay them off to ignore you. To think otherwise to delusional or you know the truth and are just bargaining up the price.

We can do both keep thins as they are and enrich you at the same time, but there is a limit to how much we can afford to ... invest, how can we make this work?"

Kraw
 Rogue, 219 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 16:59
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"And as for people needing their daily fix, what happens if you suddenly have a competitor who undercuts your prices, and has the backing to hold you off? What happens to your Recession Proof Commodity, then?"
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 127 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 03:23
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"And what do you need, hmm?" she asked walking closer to the spider king, hips swaying. She appeared to be wearing an evening gown that she was practically spilling out of, and although her build was far too athletic for many tastes, she still had a certain feminine charm.

"Coin, obviously, even if its boring and predictable. And as my dark-skinned friend says, there is only so much we can offer in that arena. But perhaps we can find something else you value."
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 5 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 03:28
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo lets out a big exaggerated yawn to the chuckle of his men.

"You know, I didn't become a crime boss to talk economics with some random rat catchers. I know, shocking. I'm a business man which means that I don't just talk about business, I do business.

So if all you have to offer is talk, you can go find some place else to bend someone's ear. Go over to the House of Clouds. For a bit of coin you can find any number of girls who will listen to you prattle on about this and that for as long as your purse holds outs.

Here though you've got to do one of three things to keep my attention."


To punctuate his point he started holding up fingers.

"One, bring me something I want. Looking at you sorry lot I don't think that's not going to be an option for you."

Again more chuckles from his men.

"Two, bring me gold. Now you don't look like big spenders but maybe you've found a bit of change while you were swimming through the sewers or whatever it is you do all day. If you've got something shiny or valuable you might be able to keep my attention but I figure if you had anything you would have offer it up by now. That'd be the smart thing to do before trying my patience yammering on."

He paused for a second, letting the tension grow a bit before revealing the last option.

"Three, be entertaining. And around here that means knifesies."

Lightning quick he pulled out a dagger and slammed the butt of it on his throne making a sharp sound. Immediately the other thugs started pulling out knives and daggers and repeating the sound, thumping the butts of the blades onto the table into a roaring commotion. While it was an intimidating site none of the thugs made any overtly threatening movement and as the chanting continued it became clear that this wasn't some sort of threat but some kind of game. The thugs were elbowing one another trying to get one another to stand up or step forward while other thugs busied themselves clearing off the table, dumping plates haphazardly around the room wherever there was an out-of-the-way flat surface.

Devargo stands up and the thugs grow silent.

"Hey boys, I'm betting these rat catchers have never seen it played. Who's up for a game?"

There was a cheer and a few seconds or arguments before two of the thugs emerged as the contestants.




Knivsies

Watching the two compete wasn't the most intuitive experience but between bits of rumors and half-remembered stories plus the commentary the other thugs and Devargo had the party was able to collectively put together the rules.

Two people face each other on a long table. Their right hands are strapped together with a leather strap and given an empty belt pouch. Finally a knife is stabbed into the table between them.

Other thugs place bets by tossing coin onto the table around the contestants and then standing at the end of their chosen champion.

When the game starts the thugs try to do a few things as quickly as possible. The first is try to shove one another off the table which is apparently a win condition if the opponent touches the ground.

The second is to try and grab gold off the table and shove it into their belts.

Finally, the most popular action is to try and fight for the lone dagger and then use said dagger to stab as many holes as possible into their opponent.

There don't seem to be any rules and as they watch the two thugs mostly spend their time stabbing one another. Finally one of the thugs slips unconscious from blood loss and the other is declared the winner.

The pouches are emptied back onto the table and a quick counting occurs. The winner of the fight claims half the pot while the remaining coins are split evenly among the people who bet correctly.




Once the demonstration is complete and the table clear of coins and blood Devargo looks back at the group and smiles a wicked smile.

"Alright, who's up for a game?"
Kyra
 player, 89 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 06:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"What a charming little game." Kyra quietly says to the rest of the party as everyone is distracted watching the fighters stab at each other. "Anyone up for a round? Or should we try finding something else this... spider wants?" She makes a mental note to return here one day and see how well the spiders swim when ship moorings are cut. And the ship is set on fire.
Kraw
 Rogue, 220 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 08:08
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw does a standing leap upon the table, looking graceful. "I'm game. Looks like it's all about speed."
When his match starts he quickly grabs for coins, flinging them at his opponent as Kraw ACTUALLY grabs the dagger.

Acrobatics 25 on d20+9.

Initiative 9 on d20+4.
Sleight of hand 26 on d20+9.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:00, Wed 03 July 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 126 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus was game for the action. If he got a weapon, none of these thugs would stand a chance against him.

13:59, Today: Figus Dva rolled 21 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 19.  Initiative
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 128 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She looked out the side of her eye at Kraw. It didn't look to be about speed at all to her. It looked like a fight, something she was quite comfortable with.

She jumped eagerly on the table and blew a kiss at her opponent before the match started, then whispered, "I'll try not to leave too many marks on your face."

Once the match began she ignored the dagger completely, and tried to wrap her opponent up and throw him off the table. Then whether she gets initiative or not, she'll rage then try to rush him off the table, eating the attacks of opportunity if he gets the dagger first.




Will try to demoralize opponent just before combat starts if allowed.

12:53, Today: Ayeesha rolled 12 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 10.  initiative for kniveses.
12:58, Today: Ayeesha rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  CMB .
13:02, Today: Ayeesha rolled 23 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 16.  intimidate to demoralize before the game starts if allowed.

Kyra
 player, 91 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 20:02
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra armors herself with her magic as best as she can while everyone is distracted with the spectacle of two people trying to shank each other on a table while the crowd throws money at them. When it's her turn she climbs up while grinding her teeth, promising to herself that the first opportunity she gets she'll burn down this bloody ship with the spider on it.

She plans to try to grab the dagger before her opponent can, then order them to flee off the table.

Magic armor up.
First try to get the dagger, then Command: Flee.
21:58, Today: Kyra rolled 21 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 17.  Initiative.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 242 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 18:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
For Kraws match the 6 thugs are evenly split. Three support Kraw, three support their man. Devargo just laughs and throws 20gp onto the table not taking one side or the other.

Pot: 42gp




Figus
Like Kraw, the gamblers split their picks (although it is a different set that is supporting Figus vs. the thug). Again Devargo drops 20gp in coinage onto the table to make things interesting.

Pot: 50gp




Ayeesha
It is actually a bit difficult for Ayeesha to get an opponent. The thugs each try to cajole one another and one is finally forced up onto the table against the towering Shoanti. Everyone bets on Ayeesha which starts a large argument about how the game can even be played if nobody is willing to bet on the loser tribute.

Finally Devargo gets up angrily and tosses down 50gp on the side of the thug and actually stays standing behind him, finally taking a side.

"I'm putting a lot of gold on you, Fenik. You let me down and you're out."

The poor kid gulps nervously and then tries (and fails) to steal himself against the towering Ayeesha.

Pot: 107gp

OOC: Because of the sheer number of coins on the table it will count as being on a grease trap. DC 10 Reflex save to move or take an action or else you fall prone. If the person you're attached to falls prone then it's a DC 10 reflex save to avoid getting dragged down with them




Kyra
Seeing the slight and soft looking Kyra by contrast to Ayeesha and the remaining thugs are tripping over themselves to bet against her. This time Devargo ends up tossing his coin behind Kyra.

"This isn't because I believe in you, but because if I didn't do it we wouldn't be able to play."

Pot: 126gp
OOC: Because of the number of coins the table's surface will count as a grease trap. See above for more details.


OOC: IF a thug gets critically injured they will call in more from the decks so there is always at least 8 people: 6 thugs + 1 player + Devargo

Let me know if you want to place bets. Most bets are between 1-6gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:19, Thu 04 July 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 246 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 01:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
The thug opposite Kraw kicks the dagger out of Kraw's reach and back to his side of the table. He quickly drops down and picks it back up again before stabbing out at Kraw.

He lashes out and Kraw takes a hit.

OOC: Kraw will need a new Round 1 action.

Kraw: 11/14 HP, 0gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 42gp





Figus
Figus is quicker on his feet than his opponent and quickly snatches up the knife.

OOC: Figus need your new Round 1 action

Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 50gp





Ayeesha
The poor kid is shivering in his boots from both Ayeesha's intimidating stature plus Devargo's threats. While he scrambles for the knife Ayeesha just wraps him up in a giant bear hug. The kid struggles against it but is powerless against her.

OOC: Ayeesha and Thug are now both grappled with Ayeesha in control

Ayeesha: 23/23 HP, 0gp, Grappled

Thug: Healthy, 0gp, Grappled

Table: 107gp




Kyra
Kyra and the thug both jump for the dagger but she is a fraction of a step faster than him. Instead of stabbing out however she issues a Command and the thug's eyes go blank and he turns and jumps off the table, running straight for the doors. The crowd hoots and hollars at him but Devargo is grinning as he scoops up the table winnings and, in a showy display, uses his dagger to divide the cut between himself and Kyra.

Kyra earns 63gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:52, Mon 08 July 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 130 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 01:10
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus looks at his opponent on the eyes as he scores a vicious blow with the dagger.

21:08, Today: Figus Dva rolled 8 using 1d4+5 with rolls of 3.  Damage.
21:08, Today: Figus Dva rolled 20 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 13.  Dagger attack.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 133 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 04:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayesha happily moved him to the edge of the table then dropped him off of it.




well that might make things interesting. not sure if I get +5 from being in control or not or if I even need the check to throw him off the table

23:37, Today: Ayeesha rolled 10 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 2.  Don't know if I need another grapple check but in case.
Kraw
 Rogue, 227 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 02:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw pecks at his opponent while one claw scoops up coins (move action). He then tries to disarm the thug, which is less than successful.

Sleight of Hand 23 on d20+9. Move Action.
Disarm attempt 4 on d20+2. Standard action.
Natural attack allows disarm with no penalty.
AC 18.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 248 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 04:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
The thug with the knife stabs at Kraw but the bird is able to easily duck away. They briefly struggle over the dagger but the thug shoves Kraw back and away, waving the dagger around to keep some distance between the two.

Kraw is able to scoop up a few gold pieces. Its not much but it is enough to put him in the lead.

No damage. Kraw scoops up 4gp

Kraw: 11/14 HP, 4gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 38gp






Figus

Figus drives the dagger home and hard causing the thug to gasp and kick back. He falls to the table but before Figus can think that he has won, the thug starts scooping coins into his pouch.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 4gp

Table: 46gp





Ayeesha walks over and dumps the squirming thug off the side of the table. He struggles and scrambles trying to cling to the mountain of a woman but to no avail. Gravity and Ayeesha's own immense strength doom the boy to touch the ground. Most of the thugs start hooting and hollering until they notice the dark look on Devargo's face and they grow silent as they quietly count and divvy up the coins.


OOC: Ayeesha earns 53gp

Figus Dva
 player, 131 posts
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 04:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus tries to cut his opponent again, but the somehow manages to miss.

00:55, Today: Figus Dva rolled 11 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 4.
Kraw
 Rogue, 228 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 06:43
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
For a guy who's good with a knife in hand, Kraw is severely outmatched when defending against a knife. He tries to scoop up more gold, but has a hard time wresting the dagger away from the thug.

Sleight of Hand (move action) 23 on d20+9.
Disarm Dagger 10 on d20+2.

AC 18

This message was last edited by the player at 06:44, Wed 10 July 2019.

Kyra
 player, 96 posts
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 20:19
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Worried about Kraw facing a dagger unarmed, Kyra takes a purse of coins and tries throwing them under his opponent's feet. She tries to aim the throw so that it inconveniences him as much as possible.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 250 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 04:40
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Round 2
Kraw
The thug stabs at Kraw again but again Kraw is able to duck and dive out of the way, scooping up some more coins in the process.

Kraw tries to wrestle the dagger away but again the thug pushes Kraw back only to catch a big fat sack of coins to the face. Coins spill out over the table and the thugs all hoot and holler as the stakes just got raised by a considerable amount. Devargo doesn't say a thing but a slight smile creeps across his face as the thug takes a step to steady himself but then slips on the pile of coins around him. The thug falls, nearly dragging Kraw down with him.

OOC: Reflex save DC 10 passed! Kraw is standing, thug is now prone.


Kraw: 11/14 HP, 7gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 135gp






Figus

Figus continues to stab at the thug who does an impressive job weaving around the blade. Every time he ducks a slash he pockets a coin or two into his pouch slowly but surely pulling farther and farther into the lead.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 6gp

Table: 44gp

Kraw
 Rogue, 229 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 06:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw continues to have better luck with gold acquisition than that of daggers. His beak is poised to strike when the thug attempts to stand.

Sleight-of-hand 28 on d20+9.
Disarm Dagger 9 on d20+2.
Natural attack (beak) readied for AoO when thug stands.
Figus Dva
 player, 133 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 00:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus begins to have doubts in regard to his strategy as his opponent seems to be able to read his strikes and move out to the way while scooping up the gold

20:03, Today: Figus Dva rolled 9 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 2.  Attack.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 134 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 21:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha moved over to her opponent after the match was over and helped him up to his feet. No need to be a barbarian, after all. She put her arm around him and held him close unless he was very determined to get away from her.

She turned and watched the two other matches, glancing at the King of Spiders as they went on. Hopefully he was pleased with the performances.

Seeing Kraw's difficulties, she stared down his opponent. "You beat him, I'm coming for you next," she growled.




Not sure if it's reasonable but if it is she tries to demoralize KRaw's opponent.


15:48, Today: Ayeesha rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  demoralize Kraw's opponent.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 251 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 14:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Round 3
Kraw
The thug goes to stand up but then ducks and rolls to the side out of the way of Kraw's bite attack. He stands up and stabs out with the knife again but again Kraw twists and avoids the knife as it hits nothing but the fabric of Kraw's cloak.

With all the coins on the table every movement causes more to go flying and the crowd is quick to get any that fall off back onto the table under the watchful eye of Devargo who is careful not to let any of the gambled coins slip prematurely into a bystander's pocket.

Both Kraw and the thug slip with every movement but thanks to pulling on one another as well as carefully throwing their balance around they both manage to maintain their footing.

Unfortunately the thug is focused entirely on his opponent and doesn't seem to hear or react to Ayeesha's threats.



Kraw: 11/14 HP, 15gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 127gp






Figus

Figus continues to attack and the thug continues to evade giving off a smug smirk as he makes a show of dropping more coins into his pouch.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 10gp

Table: 40gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:56, Tue 23 July 2019.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 135 posts
Tue 16 Jul 2019
at 22:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Unable to help her companions, she focused instead on the rogue she'd bested, turning towards the man she still had her beefy arm around, whispering in his ear just loud enough that he can hear her words over the din of the place, but no one else can. To anyone else it'd look like they were flirting.


"You know, in my culture, you'd be mine for the night if I bested you in a competition like this."


She smiled and looked him in the eye, staring him down.

"Don't worry, I can be gentle. I can be nice. As long as you're nice to me first. Tell me a few things and I'll just go away and take a cold bath, and your manhood will be far less bruised tomorrow. Tell me, where does Devargo keep the information he collects? How do we get to it?"





16:45, Today: Ayeesha rolled 17 using 1d20 with rolls of 17.
Forgot to add in +7 intimidate, so 24.

Figus Dva
 player, 134 posts
Tue 16 Jul 2019
at 23:07
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Take it slow. Breath in and out ... strike"

Figus concentrates and slashes with the knife

19:05, Today: Figus Dva rolled 7 using 1d4+5 with rolls of 2.
19:05, Today: Figus Dva rolled 25 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 18.  Time to finish.

Kraw
 Rogue, 230 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 17 Jul 2019
at 00:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As Kraw scoops up more gold, he tries to induce his opponent into overbalancing, rolling out of the way as his foe lunges.

Sleight of Hand 21 on d20+9
Disarm knife 9 on d20+2
Acrobatics 18 on d20+9.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 252 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 17 Jul 2019
at 00:24
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw continues to dance and scoop up coins as he ducks and dodges to avoid the thug's blade..

On the sidelines Devargo has stopped smiling and has started to scowl.

"Finish that damn bird if you know what's good for you..."


Kraw: 11/14 HP, 18gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 124gp






Figus

Figus takes a breath and strikes true, right into the chest of the other thug. His smile fades as he falls to his knees and then face first onto the table. Another thug checks for a pulse and then nods as others reach up to cut the bonds tying him to Figus so they can carry him away for healing.

OOC: Figus wins 25gp




Ayeesha
The man gulps uncertainly and Ayeesha notices a bulge forming in the man's breeches even as sweat breaks out on his brow.

"Uhhh...I don't really know. Below deck maybe? I'm not really part of the gang yet. This is supposed to be our initiation."
Kraw
 Rogue, 231 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 17 Jul 2019
at 01:33
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw fails again to disarm the thug. He grabs at some gold, and when the thug lunges at him, he makes a spectacular somersault over the thug's head to land behind him on the table.

Disarm knife 7 on d20+2 (man, I just HAVE to pick up Agile Maneuvering..)

Sleight of Hand 27 on d20+9.
Acrobatics 29 (nat 20!) on d20+9.
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 6 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Thu 18 Jul 2019
at 19:10
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The thug tries to stab Kraw again and again but each time the agile tengu avoids the cut of the blade and scoops up more coins. The thugs had been cheering for their mate at first but as miss after miss occurs they start to jeer him instead and Devargo gets frustrated at the lack of any good progress and finally fed up or bored by the event he pulls a dagger from a thug's belt and tosses it up to Kraw.

"Go on then. Let's make this a bit more interesting."

The thug on the table opposing Kraw looks at Devargo in a panic and then focuses on the blade now in Kraw's hand...

Kraw: 11/14 HP, 22gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 120gp

Kraw
 Rogue, 232 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 08:47
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw catches the blade and salutes Devargo with a flourish worthy of a knife master. Turning to face his opponent once more, Kraw tries a lunge, forgetting that is is bound to his opponent by the leather thong. His blade slices air as his balance is compromised, but he recovers quickly to maintain his own defenses.


01:43, Today: Kraw rolled 7 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 2.  Dagger attack. Miss.

AC 18.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 253 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 19:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The presence of the second blade seems to step up the last thug's game as he lashes out and catches Kraw with the blade once again.

OOC: Kraw takes 4 pts of piercing damage


Kraw: 7/14 HP, 22gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 120gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:26, Tue 23 July 2019.

Kraw
 Rogue, 233 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 22 Jul 2019
at 21:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw pecks with his beaks, then lunges with his dagger.

Bite attack 9 on d20+5.

Dagger attack 15 on d20+5.
Dagger damage 5 on 1d4+1.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 254 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 20:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The table becomes a blood bath as Kraw starts laying into the thug. He scores two quick hits opening up both the thug's arms and Devargo and the others are shouting enthusiastically as blood starts pouring down their wounds and splashing onto the table. Both Kraw and the Devargo's thug are equally injured and it seems like anyone's game at this point.



Kraw: 7/14 HP, 22gp

Thug: Injured, 0gp

Table: 120gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Tue 23 July 2019.

Kraw
 Rogue, 235 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 23 Jul 2019
at 22:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw lunges with his beak. As the thug responds, Kraw slips in a solid dagger to the chest.


15:51, Today: Kraw rolled 15 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 10.  Bite attack.

15:53, Today: Kraw rolled 3 using 1d3+1 with rolls of 2.  Beak damage .

15:52, Today: Kraw rolled 23 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 18.  Dagger attack.

15:52, Today: Kraw rolled 5 using 1d4+1 with rolls of 4.  Dagger damage.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 256 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 19:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw's vicious attack caught the thug off guard and between beak and blade he had the thug bloodied and battered at this feet. One of Devargo's men rushed forward and nodded. Another knockout for the group. With a clap Devargo ends the match and the gold is divided up between the winner and the gambler.

OOC: Kraw wins 71gp
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 7 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Wed 24 Jul 2019
at 19:59
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo calls his court back in order with the triumphant adventurers off to one side and his thugs off to the other. The four losers were standing, best as they were able, in the center and Devargo was looking down at them with an amused look on his face.

"You lot thought you could join my gang and protect Eel's End and you couldn't even deal with a group of ratcatchers? Look at that one..."

He pointed at Kyra...

"She's barely more than a stick and she bested you in seconds. Despicable."

He shook his head. The two thugs that had lost to Kyra and Ayeesha looked nervous while the other two seemed barely conscious from blood loss and the very crude patch work they had been given.

"Bug, leave my sight. You're out. Nobody expected you to win against a giantess but you could have at least stabbed her a couple of times to make good of it. And take Wailen with you."

He gestured towards the one that Kraw had pecked apart. Bug looked like he was going to cry but he did as asked and grabbed the other and dragged him towards the door.

"Now, you two put up a decent fight...let's see if you can do it again!"

The King of Spidre flashed a wicked grin and the spiders on his throne started crawling quickly. The trapdoor opened up and the two thugs fell screaming down the hole to splash into water at the bottom. The trapdoor resealed itself but the shouts for mercy from below were quite clearly heard.

Devargo grinned and held up his finger, signaling everyone to wait for the moment. Suddenly the shouts for mercy turned into panicked cries of terror and then the pained cries fo the dying before falling silent over the course of the next minute. When the last of their cries died off Devargo grinned and motioned for the adventurers to come forward.

"Now it's time for your reward. You performed admirably and helped weed out some of the scum that tried to infect my organization so for that I will thank you...properly."

He gestured the group forward, grinning from ear to ear.
Kraw
 Rogue, 237 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 25 Jul 2019
at 04:47
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw comes forward, carefully avoiding the trap doors and making sure his companions are not in a threatened area. He looks for other traps.


21:48, Today: Kraw rolled 27 using 1d20+9 with rolls of 18.  Perception .

This message was last edited by the player at 04:48, Thu 25 July 2019.

Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 8 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 14:34
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo grins at Kraw’s caution.

”What? You don’t trust me? And here I thought we were finally becoming friends. Come on now, don’t be shy. I’ve got something important to tell you about your ambassador friend.”
Kyra
 player, 97 posts
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 15:44
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra follows after Kraw, staying well clear of the trapdoor. She just wants to get this over with so that she can leave this place.
Kraw
 Rogue, 238 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 17:38
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
In reply to Devargo Barvasi (msg # 125):

Kraw smiles thinly. "Those who tried to curry your favor trusted you" he looks pointedly at the trap door. "For the moment I'll consider us associates with the possibility of more dealings in the future. 'Friends' don't last long in my experience. "
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 9 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 19:11
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo laughs and shrugs at Kraw’s response.

”Fair enough. Your ambassador friend is an interesting chap. Wait here and I will have something worth your time and troubles.”

He sweeps forward from his throne sending spiders scurrying all around it like creepy crawly waves of a pond. One the side of the room is a door that leads to some stairs down deeper into the hull. As soon as he leaves two more guards from the hold come back up but don’t do anything besides guarding the door. The remaining two thugs go back to one of the tables and begin arguing about the results of the knivesies match. Besides those two’s drunken and boisterous conversation the room feels oddly empty after the commotion earlier that day.

A few minutes later Devargo returns holding a pair of letters in his hand. The guards return down the stairs and Devargo plops back down on his throne, several spiders just barely managing to get out of the way before he lands.

”I met with the ambassador to discuss opening up a bit of trade back to Cheliax and he rebuffed me, quite rudely in fact. Well it just so happens that during the argument I must have ‘bumped’ into a table and his house key dropped into my pocket.”

His grin turns a bit wicked at that.

”When I returned later to return his key I found he wasn’t home so I, being a good neighbor, went inside to return the key to where I had found it. It was then that I discovered that he had some correspondences unsent so I , being a good neighbor, scooped them up to get them sent by messages post haste. While trying to find the name of where to send them I discovered a shocking scandal. It seems our very politically married ambassador is having an inappropriate relationship with another very politically married lady back in Cheliax. When I confronted him about this he of course offered to buy my silence and so I have been trading back the letters to him, one by one. Only to teach him a very important lesson, of course, being a good neighbor. Nothing makes a lesson stick like lightening the purse a bit. I hope that he will return to the straight and narrow when he returns but until then I just so happen to have the last two letters here. I have grown tired of the little game and I do believe he has learned his lesson so I am willing to gift them to you. Consider it my civic duty and all to prevent catastrophe and chaos for I am nothing  if not a good and friendly neighbor.”

He holds up the letters in front of him offering them to the party. The problem would be that in order to reach the steps of the throne one would either have to quite embarrassingly shuffle along the outer edge of the room and then climb up onto the raised platform where his throne is unaided by stairs OR risk a few moments over his trap door. Granted his hand is nowhere near the hidden button but then again he has shown himself to move quite quickly when he needs to...
Figus Dva
 player, 136 posts
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 19:21
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus moves forward to pick up the letters ... right over the trap doors as though he has nothing to worry about.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:39, Sun 28 July 2019.

Kraw
 Rogue, 239 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 20:13
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Confident in his own preparation,  Kraw leaps to stand partially on the trap door...his other foot braced on the edge of the door, providing himself a solid place to push off from. Having seen DeVargo's love of Entertainment,  Kraw smiles and says "what the Abyss...I'll play."

13:07, Today: Kraw rolled 28 using 1d20+9 with rolls of 19.  Acrobatics .
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 10 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 21:46
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As Figus and Kraw step forward Devargo makes a sudden shift in his seat causing the spiders to scurry around but other than breaking out into another broad grin nothing else happens. He splits the letters, one to a hand, so both Figus and Kraw can have one.

”Now then, it’s been a pleasure doing business. Now get the fuck off my property.”

 


When the group is finally able to read the letters at their leisure they find that Devargo was speaking correctly. They are, to say the least, quite spicy love letters describing very explicit acts of a carnal nature and while nobody present is an expert in Chelaxian nobility it seems like if the contents weren’t damaging there is no reason the ambassador would be paying blackmail money to a scumbag like Devargo as opposed to just going to the guard and using his political connections to force Korvosa to raid the King of Spiders. If it was good enough to put the ambassador in Devargo’s pocket it should be good enough for the Field Marshall. Then again that is assuming he was being honest...

OOC: Let me know if you ever want to come back here for entertainment or if there is anything else you would like to do. Currently there is just Devargo and two thugs in the room. The group knows about two more guards outside the entrance and two more guards down the stairs but it would presumably take then 1-2 rounds to enter combat if you decided to attack.
Kraw
 Rogue, 240 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 00:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw bows and says "Korvosa is enriched having a 'good neighbor' like yourself. Good day, sir." After exiting the premises and once out of earshot, he turns to the others. "Aside from a few wounds we didn't do badly. Not only do we have something on the Ambassador, but we collected some winnings from knivsies. And since anything left over from the bribe money was ours to keep, we have that entire thousand of gold amongst us as well. So let's settle up with the paymaster, shall we?" Kraw, unless someone has an objection, heads back via a circuitous route to the Marshal.
Kyra
 player, 99 posts
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 05:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra hits Kraw with her wand before they head back. She makes sure to check often if they are being followed on their way. That's just the kind of thing a rat like Devargo would try.

07:36, Today: Kyra rolled 2 using 1d8+1 with rolls of 1.  CLW. Bah.
07:36, Today: Kyra rolled 7 using 1d8+1 with rolls of 6.  CLW again. Much better.

Figus Dva
 player, 139 posts
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 01:27
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus make a vow to himself to return one day and clean out this nest of filth, but for now the mission is finished and he is happy to head home for some rest.
Kraw
 Rogue, 244 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 01:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw looks at the others. "Were any of you able to scan DeVargo's meeting hall or the man himself for magic? Knowing ahead of time about potential traps would be useful if we need to return here."
Figus Dva
 player, 140 posts
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 01:51
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus shakes his head "No, too focused on other things and did not want to trigger any alarms or what not."
Kyra
 player, 100 posts
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 05:18
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Me neither I'm afraid. I do wonder how he controls his spider pets, and if it would be possible to disrupt that somehow." Kyra adds while she looks over her shoulder, watching for anyone shadowing them.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 261 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 18:30
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As the group heads back towards the watch headquarters they turn a street corner and nearly bump into a group of Hellknights. Evil champions of law on loan from nearby Cheliax, the Hellknights often sell their services out to wider Golarion although many rulers will balk at their heavy handed justice. This particular group, the Order of the Nail, was brought on to secure the town weeks ago during the riots and appear to still be patrolling Old Korvosa.

A contingent of five armigers, clad in studded leathers, are being lead by a full fledged Hellknight clad head to foot in dark spiky platemail. This Hellknight is massive, standing taller still than even Ayeesha.

"Halt! You were seen leaving the Eel's End, a known cesspool of crime and vice. Prepare to submit to a search for contraband."

While the party has neither done anything illegal nor is carrying anything illegal it would be complicated if the Hellknight discovers the ambassador's letters, or if they question why the party has bulging pouches full of blood-stained gold.
Kraw
 Rogue, 245 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 20:41
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Since they were not specifically told to omit the reason for their being in Eel's End to anybody who asks, Kraw says "We were there on a mission for Field Marshall Cressida. We even have two of her guardsmen along for the ride. If you wish, we'll all go together to her office and she can straighten you out on a few things. You do believe in following the Law around here, don't you?" He tries to gauge their relative honesty and integrity.

13:36, Today: Kraw rolled 9 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 2.  Sense Motive.
Figus Dva
 player, 141 posts
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 21:35
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
It is better to have one person speak in these type of situations, and honestly Figus was glad it was not him. These Hellkinghts had a nasty reputation for sticking to the letter of the law, and even though they were on the same side ... at the moment, Figus felt like wiping his hands after every interaction.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 137 posts
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 23:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha glared at the hellknights, but followed Figus' lead and said nothing. She just locked eyes with the biggest hellknight and glared from the background.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 263 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 00:50
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The Hellknight doesn't seemed phased by Kraw's assertion.

"If you are conducting business for the crown then there is no reason for you not to submit to a search."

OOC: It will require a social interaction roll to get around the search
Diplomacy DC 22
Intimidate DC 17
Bluff DC Varies (opposed by Sense Motive)

Kraw
 Rogue, 249 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 02:43
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw's outfit subtly alters with sharp deadly edges appearing. It bolsters his otherwise non-menacing look.


19:39, Today: Kraw rolled 11 using 1d20 with rolls of 11.  Aid another, DC 10.
Kyra
 player, 102 posts
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 05:41
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra does not try for the menacing look, she knows she's just not very good at it. But she does ask the spiky armored figure a question of her own. "Hang on, if you know Eel's End is a cesspool of crime and vice, and you have no problems with searching us just because you suspect us of being there, why don't you go search Eel's End instead? Wouldn’t that be a far better use of your time?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:18, Thu 01 Aug 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 264 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 12:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The Hellknight shifts and the armigers give each other questioning looks. It is clear that Kyra hit upon a sore spot for Hellknight.

”We have...orders...to stay clear of Eel’s End. Apparently the leaders of the city feel that having scum and villainy contained is for the best so they are allowing this festering wound to continue. However that does mean it is up to us to diligently patrol to make sure no corruption escapes that wretched place. Everyone leaving there must be searched to make sure they are not spreading crime and vice. This is your second warning. Submit your bags for inspection or we will be forced to arrest you for resisting our command.”

The Hellknight drops his hand to the butt of his sword to press the point and the armigers shift, keeping their weight balanced and ready to spring in case the group decides to attack or flee.

OOC: Last chance for a roll. The clock is ticking so you’re going to have to decide if you’re going to flee, fight, submit, or negotiate your way around the checkpoint.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 267 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 13:19
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As tension raises Ayeesha casually flexes her giant tree-trunk muscles, her clothing designed to emphasize just how unnaturally strong she was. The Hellknight considered that and Kraw’s shifting stance and then looked back to the armigers. They were young, barely more than boys. Not nearly as seasoned of backup as one could ask for. The seconds ticked by as the Hellknight apparently did some mental math and seemed to come up with his side lacking.

”Very well then. Carry on citizens but know that the Order of the Nail is watching you. I will verify your employment with the guard, personally and if you are found fabricating lies then I shall make it my mission to hunt you down and bring you to justice. And when I do it will be.with a contingent of knights and Signifiers. Nowhere in the city will be safe for you from my wrath. Now go, begone from my sight.”

OOC: Oh look, you’ve made a friend :P
Kraw
 Rogue, 251 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 14:33
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw bows slightly. "As you wish. May I have your name? I wish to mention to the Field Marshal how cooperative the Hellknights were for this Important mission. We are heading to make our report right now."
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 141 posts
Thu 1 Aug 2019
at 16:14
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She smiled at the man as he backed down, but resisted the urge to add more words. They were through, no point in piling on. As much as she wanted to.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 268 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 16:31
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The Hellknight continues to glower but sees no reason to withhold the information.

"I am Cursius, knight of the Order of the Nail. You would do well to mark that name. Now go make your report and I shall go make mine."

With that the Hellknight turned and the armigers flanking him fell into formation as they resumed their patrol around the perimeter of Eel's End.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 142 posts
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 17:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Nice folks," she commented to her companions after the knights had receded into the dark streets.

"Let's go see our patron as they suggest. I'm sure she'll be eager to hear from us."
Kraw
 Rogue, 252 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 17:32
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw happily leads the group back to the Field Marshal's office.
Kyra
 player, 104 posts
Wed 7 Aug 2019
at 06:28
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra wholeheartedly agrees. It's been a long night.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 269 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 00:15
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As the group makes its way through Old Korvosa they hear the distant screams of a young child. Ducking through twisting corridors and winding alleyways they find the source of the cries, a small boy of about six years old is struggling to free himself from a tangle of webbing. From the shadows of the alley the group spies several bipedal figures swarming in. They seem equally comfortable walking on two legs or four as all four limbs are long and spindly ending with claws. They have pot bellied bodies covered in splotched brownish purple fur. They have long thin ears and giant multi-faceted eyes like an insect.
Kraw
 Rogue, 253 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 01:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw, long a denizen of Korvosa, tries to identify the antagonists as he creeps forward, unseen.


18:54, Today: Kraw rolled 29 using 1d20+11 with rolls of 18.  Stealth .

18:52, Today: Kraw rolled 23 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 16.  Knowledge Local.

Initiative 11 on d20+4.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:39, Sat 10 Aug 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 148 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 01:59
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus reacts quickly ... hopefuly quickly enough to save the body. "Evil spider beings!" he utters before frusting out his hand and releasing a burst of magic that few would even suspect he could do, which should make it easier for his friends to spot the creatures.
Standard action: Cast Faerie Fire

21:50, Today: Figus Dva rolled 16 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 14.  Initiative .

OOC: Is the antitoxin we took earlier still in effect?

Kyra
 player, 105 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 12:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra sighs wearily. This night just keeps getting better and better.

14:30, Today: Kyra rolled 13 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 7.  Initiative.

How far are these creatures from the child? I'm thinking of using shard gel to slow them down if they are not already on the kid, would that be possible? If yes, how hard would it be to lob one in a square right in front of them?

Dungeon Master
 GM, 272 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 03:35
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ettercap #3 sees the party bearing down with weapons beared and unleases a web attack to slow them down. It tries to web Ayeesha but the giant woman dodges most of it and breaks through the rest that does hit her.

Round 1
NameInitiativeACHPAttackDamageStatus
Ettercap #32215HealthyBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Ayeesha181819/19Greatsword +62d6+4-
Figus161515/15Scimitar +51d6+3-
Wolf161413/13Bite +21d6+1-
Ettercap #11515HealthyBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Kyra131410/10Dagger +11d4-
Kraw111816/16Kukri +4/+41d4+1/1d4-
Ettercap #2915HealthyBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:28, Wed 14 Aug 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 151 posts
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 21:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
With three of the creatures about, Figus realized the the fight was going to ruff and the group was going to need all the help it could get, therefore Alpha would be needed. Figus tried to quickly feed it a potion, but the dog would have nothing to do with it and Figus finally gave in and sent it as is. Alpha moved up to the nearest ettercap and sank her teeth into the creature and attempted to pull it down.

Move action: Handle Animal - potion
Move action: Handle Animal - attack

16:08, Today: Figus Dva rolled 19 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 17.  Trip.
16:07, Today: Figus Dva rolled 4 using 1d6+1 with rolls of 3.  Damage.
16:06, Today: Figus Dva rolled 15 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 13.  Attack.
16:05, Today: Figus Dva rolled 12 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 6.  Handle Animal Handle- attack
16:04, Today: Figus Dva rolled 9 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 3.  Handle Animal

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 143 posts
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 22:51
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Seeing the web, and expecting two more at least coming her way, Ayeesha wasted no time getting close up and personal before being restrained. She approached the closest monster, hoping to take one out quickly.




Rage, then move to O6 (O7 if I can't make O6 due to difficult terrain), attack ettercap there.


16:50, Today: Ayeesha rolled 24 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 16.  power attack with destined strike +1.
16:50, Today: Ayeesha rolled 18 using 2d6+10 with rolls of 5,3.  damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:54, Wed 14 Aug 2019.

Kraw
 Rogue, 260 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 16:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw moves to R-9 to lay in wait. Both blades are drawn.

Stealth 29.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 278 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 02:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha slashed a gigantic gaping wound into Ettercap #3. Grayish-blue blood splashed the pavement.

Alpha rushed forward, sinking its teeth into the Ettercap's leg and dragging it to the ground.

Kraw goes and hides.

Kyra steps forward and throws a card at the Ettercap on the roof drawing its attention.

The Ettercaps swarm over Ayeesha clawing and biting at her. The big barbarian swings her sword around to keep them at bay, smashing one in the face with her hilt while kicking back the other one.

As the fallen Ettercap scrambles to its feet Ayeesha takes its head off in one rage-fueled swing of her sword.

Round 2
NameInitiativeACHPAttackDamageStatus
Ayeesha181823/19Greatsword +62d6+4Raging
Figus161515/15Scimitar +51d6+3-
-Alpha161413/13Bite +21d6+1-
Ettercap #11515BruisedBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Kyra131410/10Dagger +11d4-
Kraw111816/16Kukri +4/+41d4+1/1d4Hidden
Ettercap #2915HealthyBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Ettercap #3-Squished--- 

HealthyBruisedHurtInjuredWoundedMauledCrippledDyingDead
100%99% - 75%75% - 60%60% - 45%45% - 30%30% - 15%15% - 0%0% >Dead

Figus Dva
 player, 152 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 03:29
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus moves up to support Ayeesha and Alpha. His swing with the scimitar connects and draws blood.
22:25, Today: Figus Dva rolled 6 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 4.  Alpha attack.
22:24, Today: Figus Dva rolled 6 using 1d6+3 with rolls of 3.  Damage.
22:23, Today: Figus Dva rolled 19 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 14.  Attack.

Kyra
 player, 107 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 09:11
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra moves forward to cast her last spell on Figus' pet.

Move to P6, Mage Armor on Alpha. Sorry about not posting earlier, I also thought we were doing this in initiative order.
Kraw
 Rogue, 261 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 09:19
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
When the rooftop ettercap reaches his position, Kraw pops out to attack by surprise.

02:16, Today: Kraw rolled 14 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 9.  Kukri attack .

02:16, Today: Kraw rolled 2 using 1d4+1 with rolls of 1.  Kukri damage.

02:15, Today: Kraw rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.  Sneak attack damage.

02:15, Today: Kraw rolled 12 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 8.  Bite attack.

02:14, Today: Kraw rolled 2 using 1d3+1 with rolls of 1.  Bite damage.

Pretty sure I missed with both attacks. Sheesh.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 279 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 03:55
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha smashes another ettercap #2 with her sword causing massive damage to the abomination.

Figus moves up and slashes the other ettercap. Alpha continues to snap and snarl but doesn't do any damage.

One ettercap turns and bites and slashes at Figus but his expert footwork and mastery with the blade puts up a wall of defense and an elusive target and he parries and dodges the attacks.

The other ettercap slashes at Ayeesha with its claws which she blocks with her blade but it latches on and pulls her close savagely biting her arm. Her armor blocks most of it but the creature does draw a bit of blood.


Kraw leaps out of hiding but the creature just leaps back and out of range of Kraw's daggers and beak.

Kyra steps up and puts magical armor over Alpha. It whines a little at the glow around it.


Round 2
NameInitiativeACHPAttackDamageStatus
Ayeesha181820/19Greatsword +62d6+4Raging
Figus161515/15Scimitar +51d6+3-
-Alpha161813/13Bite +21d6+1Mage Armor
Ettercap #11515BruisedBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Kyra131410/10Dagger +11d4-
Kraw111816/16Kukri +4/+41d4+1/1d4Hidden
Ettercap #2915WoundedBite/Claw/Claw +51d6+2/1d4+2-
Ettercap #3-Squished--- 

HealthyBruisedHurtInjuredWoundedMauledCrippledDyingDead
100%99% - 75%75% - 60%60% - 45%45% - 30%30% - 15%15% - 0%0% >Dead

Kraw
 Rogue, 263 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 05:29
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw moves up to flank ettercap #1 with Ayeesha. His twin life-like blades stab out, one cutting deep into the segmented thorax.


22:24, Today: Kraw rolled 23 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 18.  Kukri attack , flanking. Threat!

22:24, Today: Kraw rolled 20 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 15.  Crit confirm.

22:25, Today: Kraw rolled 9 using 2d4+2 with rolls of 4,3.  Kukri damage.

22:25, Today: Kraw rolled 1 using 1d8 with rolls of 1.  Sneak attack damage.


22:24, Today: Kraw rolled 6 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 1.  Kukri attack , flanking.
Miss!

20:12, Today: Kraw rolled 23 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 17.  Beak attack.

20:13, Today: Kraw rolled 4 using 1d3+1 with rolls of 3.  Beak damage .

20:13, Today: Kraw rolled 2 using 1d4 with rolls of 2.  Sneak attack damage


This message was last edited by the player at 03:14, Wed 21 Aug 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 153 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 13:23
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus manages a good solid hit with his scimitar, letting the blade sink in all the way up to the hilt into the creatures thorax before pulling it out. His attack with the mace and Alpha's attacks however are easily avoided.

09:18, Today: Figus Dva rolled 14 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 12.  Alpha.
09:17, Today: Figus Dva rolled 12 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 9.  Mace.
09:17, Today: Figus Dva rolled 13 using 2d6+6 with rolls of 4,3.  Crit Damage.
09:16, Today: Figus Dva rolled 19 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 16.  Crit confirm.
09:16, Today: Figus Dva rolled 23 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 20.  Scimitar.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 145 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 22:18
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
For her part, Ayeesha stepped through the gap between the two abominations, then attacked the unwounded one.




Assuming Ettercap 1 is going down from those crits! Will start on number 2. Five foot step to N6 then hit AC 22 for 16.

16:15, Today: Ayeesha rolled 22 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 14.  power attack with destined strike.
16:16, Today: Ayeesha rolled 16 using 2d6+10 with rolls of 3,3.  power attack damage.

Kyra
 player, 108 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 22:30
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
As nobody seems to need healing at the moment, Kyra pulls a card and throws it vaguely in the direction of one of the monsters.

Miss, because I'm shooting through occupied square and into melee.
00:25, Today: Kyra rolled 15,4 using 1d20+6,1d4+2 with rolls of 9,2.  Card throw (attack, damage).

Dungeon Master
 GM, 282 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 21 Aug 2019
at 20:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha slams her blade into the injured ettercap. It tried to dodge to the side but Ayeesha had somehow forseen it and was already adjusting her aim. Grayish blue ichor splatters Ayeesha and the pavement as she cleaves her way deep through the thing's head and into its chest.

Meanwhile Figus and Kraw lay into the other ettercap, cutting it down over and over and over again until they are gasping for breath and the ettercap is nothing more than a pile of ribboned gore at their feet.

The boy stops struggling and cries out in joyous surprise at his salvation.

"Hey! Hey over here! I'm stuck!"

He tries again to pull at the thick webbing that has both his legs pinned to the pavement but to no avail. The thick bonds are much to strong for the little urchin to break.

Now that they can focus the kid appears to be young, somewhere around seven or eight years old. He is dirty and scrawny and his clothes are mismatched rags.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 146 posts
Wed 21 Aug 2019
at 20:14
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha took a moment to catch her breath as she came down from her bloodrage, shaking her hand to try to get some of the numbness out of it from the poison.

"Caught me with some poison. I think I shook it off, but I'll be a little clumsier than usual for a while I think."


She moved closer to the boy and tried to break the web. If that didn't work, she pulled her sword out and smiled, "Hold very still" She stuck her tongue out of the corner of her mouth in concentration and focused on cutting him free with her greatsword, taking care to miss him!




14:10, Today: Ayeesha rolled 12 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 9.  strength check break boy free of web.
14:11, Today: Ayeesha rolled 9 using 2d6+4 with rolls of 2,3.  if that doesn't work, damage to cut web.

Figus Dva
 player, 157 posts
Thu 22 Aug 2019
at 02:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
With the spider creatures dead, Figus took the time to check over Alpha. Finding his best friend unhurt, Figus scratched her between the ears where the dog really liked it. "That will take days to heal. We may need to see a priest."

His next step is to check over the bodies. "Where the heck did these things even come from?"
Kyra
 player, 109 posts
Fri 23 Aug 2019
at 06:37
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Can do little about poison, but I can heal the would at least." Kyra pulls out her wand and uses it to heal Ayeesha.

08:29, Today: Kyra rolled 5 using 1d8+1 with rolls of 4.  CLW wand.
Does Ayeesha stil need to make a saving throw against poison? If so, Kyra could also try a heal skill check to help with that roll.

Kraw
 Rogue, 265 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Fri 23 Aug 2019
at 08:25
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw says "Ayesha, didn't you do as I did? Swallowed down an Antitoxin before facing the Spider King? Well, I've got extra if they will do any good after the fact." Kraw offers.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 285 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 18:44
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Even as the poison burns through her veins Ayeesha tears away at the webs and frees the little boy.

"Thank you so much! Then name's Mouse. You know, as in a little mouse? I...I thought I was going to be eaten up by those spider things! Are you guys with the watch or are you adventurers? Or maybe Pathfinders? I heard about them once. Some old geezer was talking about how they have adventures and write stories about them. You think this might be a story some day?"


Meanwhile looking them over ettercaps none of them seem to have any valuables however it is known that fresh ettercap poison glands are worth a lot on the open market.

OOC: To harvest the gland is going to be a Survival check vs. DC 18. Up to two people can assist however a failed check ruins the gland.

Kyra
 player, 111 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2019
at 08:30
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra looks over the child, but he looks alright to her. Or at least as well as a Korvosa urchin can. "Shouldn't you be somewhere safer instead of wandering around? These back alleys are not completely safe for a child at the best of times, and these are hardly good times."

Kyra can help by assisting with Survival check, but since she has a big fat 0 in Survival and only two can assist, it may be best she stays out of it. Unless others are even worse at it, of course.
Kraw
 Rogue, 271 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 2 Sep 2019
at 08:44
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw, whose sole experience in Survival is on Korvosa's mean streets, helps anyone trying to harvest the glands.


01:43, Today: Kraw rolled 10 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 8.  Survival, aid another DC 10.
Figus Dva
 player, 162 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 02:29
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The roller hates me. We get nothing.

22:27, Today: Figus Dva rolled 9,11,12 using d20+5,d20+5,d20+5 with rolls of 4,6,7.  Survival without Aid.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 149 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 21:44
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha raged while her body processed the poison and expelled it with the assistance of the anti-toxin. After the poison cleared, she worked with the others to try to harvest the poison glands.




OOC: Did Figus assist and can Ayeesha roll? I have +8 survival... If I can use Figus' +2 from assists we are successful 2/3 times.

15:43, Today: Ayeesha rolled 15,18,26 using 1d20+8,1d20+10,1d20+10 with rolls of 7,8,16.  survival, with assist on attempt 2 and 3.

15:40, Today: Ayeesha rolled 24 using 1d20+12 with rolls of 12.  poison save.

15:40, Today: Ayeesha rolled 19 using 1d20+12 with rolls of 7.  poison save.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 291 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Fri 6 Sep 2019
at 04:46
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus and Kraw do their best to guide Ayeesha. She was used to gutting game after a hunt but she figured the basic principles were the same. She learned quickly on the first one that the glands were much more delicate than deer guts but she took the time to study its location and how it was connected allowing her to cleanly remove them from the second and third bodies.

They would need to get to an apothecary or magic shop quickly so the organs could be properly preserved but two steaming fresh glands should fetch them a lot of money.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 152 posts
Mon 9 Sep 2019
at 22:02
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She lifted her prizes in triumph as they came out of the beasts. Not bad for a night's work. She had no idea what they'd fetch, but the satisfaction of extracting them herself was worth it alone.

"I say we rest, sell these and go talk to Cressida in the morning, hmm?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 294 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 9 Sep 2019
at 22:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
The group found the nearest magic shop and the bespectacled gnome inside was quite eager to buy fresh ettercaps glands off of them. He tested the freshness and authenticity by licking the side of one of the glands and then when his tongue turned purple and swelled up to twice its side he grinned and slobbered out a thanks while handing over a bag with a thousand gold pieces in it for the pair.
Kyra
 player, 113 posts
Tue 10 Sep 2019
at 05:59
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"Huh, ettercap hunting seems to be a very profitable business." Kyra says as she weighs a fat bag of gold in her hand.

I'm ok with moving on. Maybe we will get a chance to spend all this cash after reporting in.
Kraw
 Rogue, 273 posts
 HP 16/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 10 Sep 2019
at 12:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw adds the thousand to the bribe money and knivsies winnings to announce "looks like we can afford new and improved toys, ladies and others." Kraw then leads the group back to the Marshal's office.
Figus Dva
 player, 163 posts
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 01:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus nods. "These things were only able to infiltrate the city because of the chaos. We are likely to run into worse."