[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Figus Dva
 player, 121 posts
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 20:07
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus decided to chime in. "Recession proof commodity? Maybe you are right, but you are free to run a business only while the guard allows it. Trade gets disrupted and their pockets get light. They still got mouths to feed and favors to buy for their girlfriends. Who do you think they will come to then? No, you are just as interested in things staying as they are as everyone else. There are no long term profits in Chaos."
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 4 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 21:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Best guess Kraw would think around 2,000gp would be of equal value to what they are asking but there might be other ways to bring that price down.




Devargo grins at Figus and shakes his head.

"You couldn't be farther from the truth, my dark friend. When pockets go light, people get desperate and desperate people will come to me like flies to my web. If the guards thought they could put me under their thumbs they would have done so already. No, they need me and if a few of them get greedy, well there are always others willing to do a rough job for a bit of walking around money. Guards who come this way with unfriendly thoughts don't tend to come this way again. No Chaos is where I thrive. Chaos means those in power are too busy looking the other way to see my web creeping out slowly but surely."
Figus Dva
 player, 122 posts
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 21:51
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus snickers "So you say. You keep things under control and do not let things spill over. The customers are happy and safe in your care. That keeps the guard off your back. You are worth more to them, because you lessen their job and let them concentrate in other areas. Chaos would not suit you. It leaves your customers with less money to spend on what you provide. It will make them desperate, and they will come seeking to take what they can no longer afford. Oh yeah, sure they will suffer and you are strong enough to make them pay, but now things are not smooth. Now the guard would need to get involved and you will need to pay them off to ignore you. To think otherwise to delusional or you know the truth and are just bargaining up the price.

We can do both keep thins as they are and enrich you at the same time, but there is a limit to how much we can afford to ... invest, how can we make this work?"

Kraw
 Rogue, 219 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Mon 1 Jul 2019
at 16:59
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"And as for people needing their daily fix, what happens if you suddenly have a competitor who undercuts your prices, and has the backing to hold you off? What happens to your Recession Proof Commodity, then?"
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 127 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 03:23
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"And what do you need, hmm?" she asked walking closer to the spider king, hips swaying. She appeared to be wearing an evening gown that she was practically spilling out of, and although her build was far too athletic for many tastes, she still had a certain feminine charm.

"Coin, obviously, even if its boring and predictable. And as my dark-skinned friend says, there is only so much we can offer in that arena. But perhaps we can find something else you value."
Devargo Barvasi
 NPC, 5 posts
 Human male
 King of Spiders
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 03:28
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Devargo lets out a big exaggerated yawn to the chuckle of his men.

"You know, I didn't become a crime boss to talk economics with some random rat catchers. I know, shocking. I'm a business man which means that I don't just talk about business, I do business.

So if all you have to offer is talk, you can go find some place else to bend someone's ear. Go over to the House of Clouds. For a bit of coin you can find any number of girls who will listen to you prattle on about this and that for as long as your purse holds outs.

Here though you've got to do one of three things to keep my attention."


To punctuate his point he started holding up fingers.

"One, bring me something I want. Looking at you sorry lot I don't think that's not going to be an option for you."

Again more chuckles from his men.

"Two, bring me gold. Now you don't look like big spenders but maybe you've found a bit of change while you were swimming through the sewers or whatever it is you do all day. If you've got something shiny or valuable you might be able to keep my attention but I figure if you had anything you would have offer it up by now. That'd be the smart thing to do before trying my patience yammering on."

He paused for a second, letting the tension grow a bit before revealing the last option.

"Three, be entertaining. And around here that means knifesies."

Lightning quick he pulled out a dagger and slammed the butt of it on his throne making a sharp sound. Immediately the other thugs started pulling out knives and daggers and repeating the sound, thumping the butts of the blades onto the table into a roaring commotion. While it was an intimidating site none of the thugs made any overtly threatening movement and as the chanting continued it became clear that this wasn't some sort of threat but some kind of game. The thugs were elbowing one another trying to get one another to stand up or step forward while other thugs busied themselves clearing off the table, dumping plates haphazardly around the room wherever there was an out-of-the-way flat surface.

Devargo stands up and the thugs grow silent.

"Hey boys, I'm betting these rat catchers have never seen it played. Who's up for a game?"

There was a cheer and a few seconds or arguments before two of the thugs emerged as the contestants.




Knivsies

Watching the two compete wasn't the most intuitive experience but between bits of rumors and half-remembered stories plus the commentary the other thugs and Devargo had the party was able to collectively put together the rules.

Two people face each other on a long table. Their right hands are strapped together with a leather strap and given an empty belt pouch. Finally a knife is stabbed into the table between them.

Other thugs place bets by tossing coin onto the table around the contestants and then standing at the end of their chosen champion.

When the game starts the thugs try to do a few things as quickly as possible. The first is try to shove one another off the table which is apparently a win condition if the opponent touches the ground.

The second is to try and grab gold off the table and shove it into their belts.

Finally, the most popular action is to try and fight for the lone dagger and then use said dagger to stab as many holes as possible into their opponent.

There don't seem to be any rules and as they watch the two thugs mostly spend their time stabbing one another. Finally one of the thugs slips unconscious from blood loss and the other is declared the winner.

The pouches are emptied back onto the table and a quick counting occurs. The winner of the fight claims half the pot while the remaining coins are split evenly among the people who bet correctly.




Once the demonstration is complete and the table clear of coins and blood Devargo looks back at the group and smiles a wicked smile.

"Alright, who's up for a game?"
Kyra
 player, 89 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 06:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
"What a charming little game." Kyra quietly says to the rest of the party as everyone is distracted watching the fighters stab at each other. "Anyone up for a round? Or should we try finding something else this... spider wants?" She makes a mental note to return here one day and see how well the spiders swim when ship moorings are cut. And the ship is set on fire.
Kraw
 Rogue, 220 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 08:08
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw does a standing leap upon the table, looking graceful. "I'm game. Looks like it's all about speed."
When his match starts he quickly grabs for coins, flinging them at his opponent as Kraw ACTUALLY grabs the dagger.

Acrobatics 25 on d20+9.

Initiative 9 on d20+4.
Sleight of hand 26 on d20+9.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:00, Wed 03 July 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 126 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:01
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus was game for the action. If he got a weapon, none of these thugs would stand a chance against him.

13:59, Today: Figus Dva rolled 21 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 19.  Initiative
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 128 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
She looked out the side of her eye at Kraw. It didn't look to be about speed at all to her. It looked like a fight, something she was quite comfortable with.

She jumped eagerly on the table and blew a kiss at her opponent before the match started, then whispered, "I'll try not to leave too many marks on your face."

Once the match began she ignored the dagger completely, and tried to wrap her opponent up and throw him off the table. Then whether she gets initiative or not, she'll rage then try to rush him off the table, eating the attacks of opportunity if he gets the dagger first.




Will try to demoralize opponent just before combat starts if allowed.

12:53, Today: Ayeesha rolled 12 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 10.  initiative for kniveses.
12:58, Today: Ayeesha rolled 27 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 19.  CMB .
13:02, Today: Ayeesha rolled 23 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 16.  intimidate to demoralize before the game starts if allowed.

Kyra
 player, 91 posts
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 20:02
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kyra armors herself with her magic as best as she can while everyone is distracted with the spectacle of two people trying to shank each other on a table while the crowd throws money at them. When it's her turn she climbs up while grinding her teeth, promising to herself that the first opportunity she gets she'll burn down this bloody ship with the spider on it.

She plans to try to grab the dagger before her opponent can, then order them to flee off the table.

Magic armor up.
First try to get the dagger, then Command: Flee.
21:58, Today: Kyra rolled 21 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 17.  Initiative.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 242 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 18:17
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
For Kraws match the 6 thugs are evenly split. Three support Kraw, three support their man. Devargo just laughs and throws 20gp onto the table not taking one side or the other.

Pot: 42gp




Figus
Like Kraw, the gamblers split their picks (although it is a different set that is supporting Figus vs. the thug). Again Devargo drops 20gp in coinage onto the table to make things interesting.

Pot: 50gp




Ayeesha
It is actually a bit difficult for Ayeesha to get an opponent. The thugs each try to cajole one another and one is finally forced up onto the table against the towering Shoanti. Everyone bets on Ayeesha which starts a large argument about how the game can even be played if nobody is willing to bet on the loser tribute.

Finally Devargo gets up angrily and tosses down 50gp on the side of the thug and actually stays standing behind him, finally taking a side.

"I'm putting a lot of gold on you, Fenik. You let me down and you're out."

The poor kid gulps nervously and then tries (and fails) to steal himself against the towering Ayeesha.

Pot: 107gp

OOC: Because of the sheer number of coins on the table it will count as being on a grease trap. DC 10 Reflex save to move or take an action or else you fall prone. If the person you're attached to falls prone then it's a DC 10 reflex save to avoid getting dragged down with them




Kyra
Seeing the slight and soft looking Kyra by contrast to Ayeesha and the remaining thugs are tripping over themselves to bet against her. This time Devargo ends up tossing his coin behind Kyra.

"This isn't because I believe in you, but because if I didn't do it we wouldn't be able to play."

Pot: 126gp
OOC: Because of the number of coins the table's surface will count as a grease trap. See above for more details.


OOC: IF a thug gets critically injured they will call in more from the decks so there is always at least 8 people: 6 thugs + 1 player + Devargo

Let me know if you want to place bets. Most bets are between 1-6gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:19, Thu 04 July 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 246 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 01:05
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
The thug opposite Kraw kicks the dagger out of Kraw's reach and back to his side of the table. He quickly drops down and picks it back up again before stabbing out at Kraw.

He lashes out and Kraw takes a hit.

OOC: Kraw will need a new Round 1 action.

Kraw: 11/14 HP, 0gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 42gp





Figus
Figus is quicker on his feet than his opponent and quickly snatches up the knife.

OOC: Figus need your new Round 1 action

Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 50gp





Ayeesha
The poor kid is shivering in his boots from both Ayeesha's intimidating stature plus Devargo's threats. While he scrambles for the knife Ayeesha just wraps him up in a giant bear hug. The kid struggles against it but is powerless against her.

OOC: Ayeesha and Thug are now both grappled with Ayeesha in control

Ayeesha: 23/23 HP, 0gp, Grappled

Thug: Healthy, 0gp, Grappled

Table: 107gp




Kyra
Kyra and the thug both jump for the dagger but she is a fraction of a step faster than him. Instead of stabbing out however she issues a Command and the thug's eyes go blank and he turns and jumps off the table, running straight for the doors. The crowd hoots and hollars at him but Devargo is grinning as he scoops up the table winnings and, in a showy display, uses his dagger to divide the cut between himself and Kyra.

Kyra earns 63gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:52, Mon 08 July 2019.

Figus Dva
 player, 130 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 01:10
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus looks at his opponent on the eyes as he scores a vicious blow with the dagger.

21:08, Today: Figus Dva rolled 8 using 1d4+5 with rolls of 3.  Damage.
21:08, Today: Figus Dva rolled 20 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 13.  Dagger attack.

Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 133 posts
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 04:39
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayesha happily moved him to the edge of the table then dropped him off of it.




well that might make things interesting. not sure if I get +5 from being in control or not or if I even need the check to throw him off the table

23:37, Today: Ayeesha rolled 10 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 2.  Don't know if I need another grapple check but in case.
Kraw
 Rogue, 227 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 02:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw pecks at his opponent while one claw scoops up coins (move action). He then tries to disarm the thug, which is less than successful.

Sleight of Hand 23 on d20+9. Move Action.
Disarm attempt 4 on d20+2. Standard action.
Natural attack allows disarm with no penalty.
AC 18.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 248 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 04:48
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw
The thug with the knife stabs at Kraw but the bird is able to easily duck away. They briefly struggle over the dagger but the thug shoves Kraw back and away, waving the dagger around to keep some distance between the two.

Kraw is able to scoop up a few gold pieces. Its not much but it is enough to put him in the lead.

No damage. Kraw scoops up 4gp

Kraw: 11/14 HP, 4gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 38gp






Figus

Figus drives the dagger home and hard causing the thug to gasp and kick back. He falls to the table but before Figus can think that he has won, the thug starts scooping coins into his pouch.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 4gp

Table: 46gp





Ayeesha walks over and dumps the squirming thug off the side of the table. He struggles and scrambles trying to cling to the mountain of a woman but to no avail. Gravity and Ayeesha's own immense strength doom the boy to touch the ground. Most of the thugs start hooting and hollering until they notice the dark look on Devargo's face and they grow silent as they quietly count and divvy up the coins.


OOC: Ayeesha earns 53gp

Figus Dva
 player, 131 posts
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 04:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus tries to cut his opponent again, but the somehow manages to miss.

00:55, Today: Figus Dva rolled 11 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 4.
Kraw
 Rogue, 228 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 06:43
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
For a guy who's good with a knife in hand, Kraw is severely outmatched when defending against a knife. He tries to scoop up more gold, but has a hard time wresting the dagger away from the thug.

Sleight of Hand (move action) 23 on d20+9.
Disarm Dagger 10 on d20+2.

AC 18

This message was last edited by the player at 06:44, Wed 10 July 2019.

Kyra
 player, 96 posts
Wed 10 Jul 2019
at 20:19
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Worried about Kraw facing a dagger unarmed, Kyra takes a purse of coins and tries throwing them under his opponent's feet. She tries to aim the throw so that it inconveniences him as much as possible.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 250 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 04:40
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Round 2
Kraw
The thug stabs at Kraw again but again Kraw is able to duck and dive out of the way, scooping up some more coins in the process.

Kraw tries to wrestle the dagger away but again the thug pushes Kraw back only to catch a big fat sack of coins to the face. Coins spill out over the table and the thugs all hoot and holler as the stakes just got raised by a considerable amount. Devargo doesn't say a thing but a slight smile creeps across his face as the thug takes a step to steady himself but then slips on the pile of coins around him. The thug falls, nearly dragging Kraw down with him.

OOC: Reflex save DC 10 passed! Kraw is standing, thug is now prone.


Kraw: 11/14 HP, 7gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 135gp






Figus

Figus continues to stab at the thug who does an impressive job weaving around the blade. Every time he ducks a slash he pockets a coin or two into his pouch slowly but surely pulling farther and farther into the lead.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 6gp

Table: 44gp

Kraw
 Rogue, 229 posts
 HP 14/16 AC 18
 F+2 R+7 W+2
Thu 11 Jul 2019
at 06:57
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Kraw continues to have better luck with gold acquisition than that of daggers. His beak is poised to strike when the thug attempts to stand.

Sleight-of-hand 28 on d20+9.
Disarm Dagger 9 on d20+2.
Natural attack (beak) readied for AoO when thug stands.
Figus Dva
 player, 133 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 00:04
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Figus begins to have doubts in regard to his strategy as his opponent seems to be able to read his strikes and move out to the way while scooping up the gold

20:03, Today: Figus Dva rolled 9 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 2.  Attack.
Ayeesha
 Bloodrager, 134 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 21:49
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Ayeesha moved over to her opponent after the match was over and helped him up to his feet. No need to be a barbarian, after all. She put her arm around him and held him close unless he was very determined to get away from her.

She turned and watched the two other matches, glancing at the King of Spiders as they went on. Hopefully he was pleased with the performances.

Seeing Kraw's difficulties, she stared down his opponent. "You beat him, I'm coming for you next," she growled.




Not sure if it's reasonable but if it is she tries to demoralize KRaw's opponent.


15:48, Today: Ayeesha rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  demoralize Kraw's opponent.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 251 posts
 Teller of tales
 Lord of lies
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 14:56
[1.05] The Ambassador's Secret
Round 3
Kraw
The thug goes to stand up but then ducks and rolls to the side out of the way of Kraw's bite attack. He stands up and stabs out with the knife again but again Kraw twists and avoids the knife as it hits nothing but the fabric of Kraw's cloak.

With all the coins on the table every movement causes more to go flying and the crowd is quick to get any that fall off back onto the table under the watchful eye of Devargo who is careful not to let any of the gambled coins slip prematurely into a bystander's pocket.

Both Kraw and the thug slip with every movement but thanks to pulling on one another as well as carefully throwing their balance around they both manage to maintain their footing.

Unfortunately the thug is focused entirely on his opponent and doesn't seem to hear or react to Ayeesha's threats.



Kraw: 11/14 HP, 15gp

Thug: Healthy, 0gp

Table: 127gp






Figus

Figus continues to attack and the thug continues to evade giving off a smug smirk as he makes a show of dropping more coins into his pouch.


Figus: 15/15, 0gp

Thug: Mauled, 10gp

Table: 40gp

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:56, Tue 23 July 2019.