Theater.   Posted by JaJH.Group: archive 1
JaJH
 GM, 4 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 15:52
Theater
For RPing Scenes.

The Scene creator posts first, describing as best they can the current surroundings and the action(s) of their primary character. RP continues until the Question is answered.
JaJH
 GM, 19 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 17:17
Theater
Question To be Answered: How do Maia, and her little brother, the latter a child and the former nearly so, defeat the Manticore guarding the Shrine of the Karifitzoi?

Primary Characters:
  • Maia
  • Maia's younger brother
  • The Manticore


Scene: It's a hot day in the mountains of Asia Minor. Bugs chitter all around, and the sun beats down from a cloudless, blue, sky. Maia, blonde haired, and dressed in a light linen frock and armed with a staff, and her grandfather's aged sword, picks her way up a mountainside, her younger brother, blonde too, and curly headed, pads along just behind her. As they crest a small ridge, they see the cave, and some sort of beast curled up in front of it.



Do you have a preference on which character you'd like to play?

Our goal here, is to play out the scene until we feel that we have a satisfactory answer to the posed question.
Cloudy
 player, 11 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 17:42
Theater
I'm good to play either character (Maia or her brother); I assume the Manticore is off limits, but I'm not particularly drawn to it anyway. Rather than get into a Canadian standoff ("after you", "no, after you", "no, I insist, after you", etc.), I'll take the boy for certain, with a willingness to play both against the Manticore or vice versa.

Is there an attached ruleset we'll use to play out the scene, or is it more freeform? I think it would be best to let you lead at the start, at least until I'm up to speed with how the Scenes work. For the record, though, I think I'm starting to understand the Periods and Events thing, and the combined Timeline you put together is a really helpful visual aid.
JaJH
 GM, 20 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 15:08
Theater
It's a hot day in the mountains of Asia Minor. Bugs chitter all around, and the sun beats down from a cloudless, blue, sky. Maia, blonde haired, and dressed in a light linen frock and armed with a staff, and her grandfather's aged sword, picks her way up a mountainside, her younger brother, blonde too, and curly headed, pads along just behind her. As they crest a small ridge, they see the cave, and some sort of beast curled up in front of it.


Maia's feet were throbbing. She lost her shoes farther back down on the trail and, while she knew she'd get a beating for that, she also knew that she had to press on and the fate of the entire world might, in fact, rest upon her perseverance.

She hadn't meant for her little brother to tag along. She'd snuck out of the house before dawn on what she knew was a dangerous journey, but he must have heard her, and crept out of the house behind her. Now, pausing to stare down at the beast below, her fears were concerned. She couldn't really tell from this distance, but there was something large, and bestial, sleeping at the front of the cave.

"What do we do?"

"You think maybe it's a sphinx? and if we answer its riddles it will let us pass?"



Canadian standoffs, much more polite than Mexican standoffs :D

Anyway, rules are largely freeform with the caveat that you can't do something to, or as, a Primary character being played by someone else without their permission. I'm going to strike the Manticore from the primary characters list so we can kill it at our leisure.
Cloudy
 player, 12 posts
Mon 2 May 2016
at 14:43
Theater
Milo stumped along just behind his sister, driving a walking stick into the ground with an authoritative stamp with every step. He was younger than she, and smaller too - not quite big enough to wrestle a sheep down on his own - but he was still her brother, and it was his job to look to her safety.

It was also her job to listen to him, but Milo had learned not to push too hard on that front. Maia could wrestle a sheep down.

"Of course it's not a Sphinx," he retorted as he crouched down beside his sister. In addition to his courage, young Milo had brought with him a near encyclopedic knowledge of beasts and monsters, gleaned from many hours spent at the feet of the village's storytellers. "it's a Chimera - much more dangerous. It'll eat us if it sees us, not ask us riddles." He wanted to add "dummy", but his tone made the extra word unnecessary.

The boy scanned the broken, hilly terrain around them and the stony entrance of the cave mouth below. "Maybe there's another way in? If we don't wake him up, we'll be fine."
JaJH
 GM, 21 posts
Mon 2 May 2016
at 18:53
Theater
Maia nodded resolutely, her moment of doubt overtaken by firm resolve. "No other way in, according to my dreams, there's only this entrance. I'll have to sneak by, you wait here. If it wakes up, run, and tell Grandfather what happened."

With that, she began to creep down the path towards the entrance. She was nearly there, and easily within pouncing distance of the beast (though she was doing her best not to look at it). The wind had died down, and the silence, apart from the monster's arrhythmic breathing, was oppressive. At least it was before it was shattered.

"BHAAAAA!"

Maia froze, her eyes snapped to the source of the noise, a ledge right above the Chimera, where Sınnefo, her favorite sheep stood proudly. As she glared at the stupid animal, it flicked an ear casually, and with mounting dread she let here eyes fall, until they locked with the amber, predatory, gaze of the creature's Lion's head.

Sınnefo means "Cloud" according to google translate ^_^
Cloudy
 player, 13 posts
Tue 3 May 2016
at 16:50
Theater
Milo bolted upright in terror at the sound of the sheep's bleating, his attention scrambling between the noisy animal and his sister's perilous proximity to the not-yet-quite-identified creature; the world seemed to move in slow motion as the beast shook off it's slumber and fixed Maia with it's stare.

"Maia, run!" Milo was running and shouting before he had even realized it, circling in a clumsy trot along the top of the rocky bluff. He kept his walking stick held tight, some vague sense within that it might yet make the difference between life and death, and followed his course until he was flanking the monster and his sister both.

"Run, Maia!" He shouted again, now made bold by his sister's peril and his own relative distance from the danger. His grandfather had taught him how to scare wolves away by slinging stones toward them as they gathered; he lacked his grandfather's true aim, and his feeble arms couldn't boast the same power or distance, but his courage forbade him from simply fleeing. Milo drew the leather thong from across his waist and began flinging whatever small stones he could find toward the massive beast, shouting and taunting it as loud as he could, hoping to create some sort of escape for his sister.



Okay, I'm still not sure how this story plays out, but I'm digging the Microscope so far.

Something I do know about this particular scene is that Maia will end up with the Karifitzoi; I'm not sure how that actually ends up happening, but we've set the stage for a few possibilities. Narratively speaking I don't expect the Manticore/Chimera or Synnefo to survive, nor dramatically speaking Milo either. I don't know if "giving permission" is a thing we do here, but in case you need to use it for future posts I did want to signal my understanding that Maia lives and, likely, Milo does not.

JaJH
 GM, 22 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 14:56
Theater
Maia drew her grandfather's sword and held it out, quavering, at the manticore. The creature got to its legs in one smooth motion, towering over the girl. She almost did flee right then and there, till she saw the scorpion tail arching over the monster's back. She swung, right as it struck, but the move was a feint, and the lion-like creature, swiped at her with one of its fore-claws.

Maia fell, and the sword went skittering, over the side of the mountain. The creature, though, had its attention now on Milo. It crouched, and sprung/flew over the girl's prone body. Maia shut her eyes, she did not want to see what happened next. As she did so, though, and fought down waves of fear, disappointment, pain, and self loathing, she heard a voice in her head, clear as a bell. The Spear!

She looked up, and caught a glint of something inside the cave. Her way now clear, she jumped up, and sprinted inside. The spear was only a few paces within, gleaming alabaster-white, and silver. She picked it up, a thrill of power coursing from the weapon up to her. Immediately the pain in her side lessened, and she spun on her heel, newly armed, hoping it wasn't too late to rescue her brother.