B2 - Chapter 1: Arriving at the Keep.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Morgan Hawthorn
 player, 8 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 02:22
Arriving at the Keep
Entering the tavern, Morgan had a moment of indecision but decided that since Dravin had actually invited him he'd drink with him first. Walking over he motioned for a chair. "This seat taken?"
Zendyra Sabine
 player, 4 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 02:39
Arriving at the Keep
Zendyra nods her head at Dravin, "I was thinking along those same lines Dravin.  Perhaps we should walk over together and have a look-see?"

Zendyra smiles at Morgan as he approaches.
Boldo
 player, 4 posts
 Dwarven explorer
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 05:37
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Valgard Mordson:
He does happily grab Boldo's attention, "Come my dwarven friend!" he bellows in a loud voice, "Let me buy your first drink and we can get drunk together!"


Heh, I would never refuse such an offer. he says as he grabs a chain and joins Valgard.

So what is your plan now, my friend? I have heard stories about this keep and the surrounding area, but I would like to check how much is true with the locals before I bet my neck. The possibilities are out there however, just beyond these walls. Maybe fortune, maybe demise, what do you think?

Boldo looks around assessing the room. Does he see any obvious source of information such as a minstrel, storyteller or an announcement board?
Vitus
 player, 5 posts
 Human Mystic
 AC:8, HP:6
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 06:25
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Following the others to the tavern, Vitus finds a spot near the fire and orders a simple meal of bread and hot water.  Once it arrives he pulls some small leaves out of his belt pouch-crushing them between his palms he dumps them in the hot water.  Listening to the others talk he finally adds; "I agree-perhaps we should ask the locals if they need any assistance.  We worked well together on the caravan ride up, perhaps we should stay together-strength in numbers they say."
Val Wordweaver
 player, 8 posts
 Traveling Minstrel with
 a few other useful skills
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 06:26
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Upon arriving at the Keep.  The sounds of it wash all over him.
'Click on the link below for related ambient atmospheric audio.  When done listening, click on back arrow to return here.'
http://rpg.ambient-mixer.com/medieval-town

Val immediately head to the Spicy Ale Taverm and asks to speak to the Tavernkeeper.  Offering his services as a entertainer for the usual terms for situations such as this.  Which is free room and board and two free drinks a night.  Along with busking rights, meaning he can have his lute case open in front of where he is performing.  An any in the audience that find his artistic endeavors pleasing can show it by tossing a coin or two into his case. After a short audition, what does the Tavernkeeper say?

This message was last edited by the player at 22:57, Tue 26 Apr 2016.

Valgard Mordson
 player, 10 posts
 Cleric of Thor
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 00:20
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Boldo:
Heh, I would never refuse such an offer. he says as he grabs a chain and joins Valgard.

So what is your plan now, my friend? I have heard stories about this keep and the surrounding area, but I would like to check how much is true with the locals before I bet my neck. The possibilities are out there however, just beyond these walls. Maybe fortune, maybe demise, what do you think?

Boldo looks around assessing the room. Does he see any obvious source of information such as a minstrel, storyteller or an announcement board?


Valgard takes a long drink from his tankard, "Fortune and adventure sounds like a successful plan to me.  As long as I'm stuck in these lands, I might as well might the most of it, right?"
GM
 GM, 17 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 02:22
Re: Arriving at the Keep
As one might expect in the confined space of a keep, the Copper Raven is cramped and cluttered within.  The bar and cooking area take up a large portion of the eastern wall while the remainder of the space is a motley collection of tables, stools and chairs.  The room is mostly empty with only 20 or so patrons in the room when you arrived but people are arriving in a slow but steady pace.  The patrons are mostly keeping to themselves, couples and small groups are on a number of tables but your attention is immediately drawn to a cluster of three small tables that have been pushed together so a group of eight patrons can play a game of cards together.  The game doesn't appear to be one you've seen before, they players are quite vocal with their table talk and the large number of empty bottle and tankards on and around the table suggests that they've been playing for a little while.

A serving girl comes and take any orders for drinks or food (prices listed below) and is very prompt with the service.



As the tavern fills up you find that it actually becomes difficult to not overhear conversations from around the room.  Within the hour you have heard tales of both marital bliss and woe, displeased workers as well as unhappy employers.  Everyone seems to have a tale of some kind to tell.

As night falls a group of four guards walk into the tavern and sit down at a table near your tables.  They all have bruises and bandages from looks to be recent injuries.  One of the guards calls out "Bella, warm food and drinks for my brothers and I, we've worked up quite an appetite today we have."

The girl that served your table and nods and hurries over to the kitchen behind the bar.  You overhear the men talking of them searching through the wilderness, it seems a wagon has gone missing in the last day.

"But boss if we didn't find them in the woods or the swamps, well that only leaves on place left..." says one of the guards, a wry looking fellow with a loose fitting chainmail shirt.  He has a bandage over his forehead and nasty looking scratches down the side of his neck.

The guard who ordered the food replies "Well then we look there tomorrow."

One of the other guards stands up "No way!  Sorry I don't care how many warm meals you buy us, I ain't going there!" he looks at the other two guards "And you're crazy of you go there.  No one ever comes back from the caves!  Sorry boss but I'm going to stick to guarding the keep, this being a hero thing is like all exciting but it's dangerous stuff.  I ain't going to end up being an ogres dinner.  No way! "  And with that he walks out of the tavern.

The other two guards start to rise and the boss drops a bag of gold on the table, "Well then I guess the reward money gets split three ways and not four.  More for all of us."  One of the guards sits back down and smiles.  The other stands up and sighs.  He has an arm in a sling and his face looks like it has taken quite a beating.  "I'm sorry boss but I can't swing a sword like this and if you're going to the caves well I won't be of any help.  I really could do with the money but money isn't very useful to me if I'm dead now is it?"

The boss slams his hand down on the table in frustration.  He composes himself and puts his head in his hands "Just go then." he says as he waves at the door.  The guard turns and is gone before the boss looks up.

The boss stands up and in a booming voice full of authority calls out "I am Edgar Emilio Mugada, Captain of the Halzar State Guard and I have been tasked with finding and returning to safety a priest by the name of Father Vaerlan Istiria."

All eyes tavern are now staring at Emilio, the card game in the center of the room hasn't stopped completely but all players are paying cursory attention while they're waiting for the their turn to play a hand.

Eilio continues "We have searched the surrounds of the keep and we haven't found any trace of the Father nor his wagon, tomorrow we search the caves." a frantic murmor runs through the crowd "I am in need of abled bodies willing to assist in the search, 50 gold to anyone who assists and another 100 when we find and bring back Father Vaerlan."

The crowd goes silent but no one moves.


OOC: rumours and other information is forthcoming but I'll give that out after we RP this scene.

@Val Wordweaver: Grenzel the tavern owner isn't too interested in offering you a position, "We already have a bard.  He smells funny and he walks like an elf but my wife likes him and lord knows I don't want to upset her and besides the customer like his songs.  And happy customers means a happy coin purse for me." he mutters.  After you play him a quick tune though he stops and rubs his chin thoughtfully "Well you do play better than Laern does, and it would be nice to hear some new songs.  Look I'll make you a deal, tonight is usually a quiet night, so much so that Laern doesn't usually play.  So if you want to setup yourself over in the corner there" he points to a small table beside the fireplace "then I'll let you play.  If the customers like what you play then maybe, just maybe mind you, I might throw some gold your way hmm?  How does that sound?"
Dravin Heryld
 player, 15 posts
 Human Magic-User
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 02:43
Re: Arriving at the Keep
"I am Edgar Emilio Mugada, Captain of the Halzar State Guard and I have been tasked with finding and returning to safety a priest by the name of Father Vaerlan Istiria."

Missing priest?  That sounded serious.  Dravin knew how much these southerners loved their priests.

... 50 gold to anyone who assists and another 100 when we find and bring back Father Vaerlan ...

One-hundred fifty ... that was triple the caravan pay!

"I am in at those wages," Dravin spoke up.  "Captain, I know I am a stranger but I assure you I am serious and capable, as are some others with me.  For a reference, you can confer with the caravan master who was pleased with our service and has offered like terms on the return leg.  My name is Dravin Heryld.  We've come in just today and it seems none to soon."

With a gesture the magic-user has encompassed the others at his table.  He can't speak for them, of course, but he would be shocked if they weren't in as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:44, Thu 28 Apr 2016.

Morgan Hawthorn
 player, 11 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 04:11
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Standing, Morgan spoke firmly. "My name is Morgan Hawthorn, And My hammer and shield will go with you. I too was a guard on the caravan." He then sits and looks at the menu to decide what he'll have for dinner. Hope it's not my last meal. He thinks.
Val Wordweaver
 player, 11 posts
 Traveling Minstrel with
 a few other useful skills
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 08:02
Re: Arriving at the Keep
GM:
@Val Wordweaver: Grenzel the tavern owner isn't too interested in offering you a position, "We already have a bard.  He smells funny and he walks like an elf but my wife likes him and lord knows I don't want to upset her and besides the customer like his songs.  And happy customers means a happy coin purse for me." he mutters.  After you play him a quick tune though he stops and rubs his chin thoughtfully "Well you do play better than Laern does, and it would be nice to hear some new songs.  Look I'll make you a deal, tonight is usually a quiet night, so much so that Laern doesn't usually play.  So if you want to setup yourself over in the corner there" he points to a small table beside the fireplace "then I'll let you play.  If the customers like what you play then maybe, just maybe mind you, I might throw some gold your way hmm?  How does that sound?"


http://rpg.ambient-mixer.com/fantasy-tavern

"That sounds more then fair, considering everything.  Master Grenzel. you won't be sorry you gave me this chance.  I'll get started right soon.  After I grab a quick bite to eat."  Val responded.

An that is exactly what he did.  But not before stopping by and having a word with Captain Mugada of the Halzar State Guard.  Saying for the price that was being offered that he would be ready at first light to go with any others in search of the missing priest, Father Istiria.  An do all in his power to see to his safe return.

After everything concerning that was squared away.  He ordered and ate a supper of soup, roast fowl, two slices of bread and a wedge of cheese.  Washing it all down with a tankard of honey mead.  Which afterwards he quickly paid for, giving the serving maiden a 4 s.p. tip.  After that Val had a private word with the barkeep.  Who prepared for him what appeared to be another tankard of honey mead.  Telling the man to keep them coming whenever he gave him a nod.  An they would settle up at the end of the night.

Taking the tankard, he set it on the small table beside the fireplace, where he had been directed to perform at.  Moving the two chairs together on the far side of the table, away from the fireplace.  Val put all his belongs in or slung over the back of the chairs.  Taking his longsword it it's scabbard of his belt.  He laid it across the small table next to the tankard.  With the hilt closest to him.  Retrieveing a tall stool from those along that were along the bar.  He placed it so he sat with his back to the left side of the actual hearth of the fireplace.  Facing the tavern's front door.  He then set his lute case on the floor before him.  Opening up he took it out and slipped the instrument's shoulder strap over his head.  Letting it come to rest sideways on his shirted and vested upper stomach.  Taking some coins from his be pouch he slyly tossed them in the open lute case.  Then turned it around a few feet in front of him.  So that anyone in the audience that found his artistic endeavors pleasing, could show it by tossing some coins into his case.  He always seeded the case before hand, like he had.  With a g.p., a few s.p. and a dozen c.p..  For some reason, he had found people are more likely to show their appreciation if they think others already have.


He took a minute or so to tune his lute.  As all the jostling of travel got it out of tune.  The crowd within the tavern, began to quiet down.  Sensing he was about to begin.  Speaking loudly so his voice would carry though out the tavern, he said.

"Good Evening one all.  My name is Val Wordweaver, fresh off of appearances in Penhaligon, High Forge. Kelvin, and points east, west and south.  Including my hometown or should I say homecity of Specularum.  I and Master Grenzel the wonderful Proprietor of Copper Raven Tavern.  Along with his fine serving staff would like to welcome you in on this chilly spring evening and thank you for your patronage.  Now let me start you out with a song that is one of everybody's favorites, which is called 'Home Again'.  Even if your not, you can always imagine what it would be like, if you were.  If you know the words, join me in the chorus!"

Val said all that while he gave friendly nods and winks to those who had traveled in the caravan with him.  An had heard his repertoire of songs, storys and the like.  A couple times over on their journey to the Keep.

(Click on link, hit back arrow to return here. Val's singing is a tenor, rather then soprano  and of course his instrumentation with only his lute is much simpler.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYfxj3zIJ4
Followed by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBf06qAgDo

An so the evening began.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:03, Fri 29 Apr 2016.

Zendyra Sabine
 player, 6 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 15:19
Re: Arriving at the Keep
"I will accompany yeh." she says, standing and speaking directly to Edgar Emilio Mugada, Captain of the Halzar State Guard.  "I come with the caravan as well, but as passenger, not guard."
Boldo
 player, 7 posts
 Dwarven explorer
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 16:46
Re: Arriving at the Keep
GM:
The boss stands up and in a booming voice full of authority calls out "I am Edgar Emilio Mugada, Captain of the Halzar State Guard and I have been tasked with finding and returning to safety a priest by the name of Father Vaerlan Istiria."

All eyes tavern are now staring at Emilio, the card game in the center of the room hasn't stopped completely but all players are paying cursory attention while they're waiting for the their turn to play a hand.

Eilio continues "We have searched the surrounds of the keep and we haven't found any trace of the Father nor his wagon, tomorrow we search the caves." a frantic murmor runs through the crowd "I am in need of abled bodies willing to assist in the search, 50 gold to anyone who assists and another 100 when we find and bring back Father Vaerlan."


Boldo says to Valgard Interesting offer, though I wonder if it matches the risks. Are you a risk-taker Valgard? I came here to test my chances with fortune, and thus far this is the best shot I got.

The dwarf approaches the captain I salute you and accept the offer, sire. I would like to hear more about your conditions with respect to spoils eventually claimed during that mission. I assume those belong to the individual who obtained those, correct or is there some local regulation applicable to such?
GM
 GM, 18 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 17:49
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Edgar smiles as Draven stands and accepts his offer "Thank you" he mutters as he looks to roof while making a prayer gesture with his hands.  He stands up "Do we have anyone else as brave as Mr Heryld here?  Hmmm?"

As Morgan also accepts Edgar's offer Edgar stands up and moves to the middle of the room "Yes!  I thank you too Mr Hawthorn."  he walks back over to his table and gently punches his remaining friend on the shoulder "You see, eh?  Mr Heryld and Mr Morgan with his hammer!"

Edgar spins on his heel as Val Wordweaver taps him on the shoulder and offers his assistance.  Edgar looks concerned as he stares Val up and down, his eyes darting back and forth between his lute and his sword.  "Do you know how to use that thing?  The sword... that is, where we're going we won't have need of a lute."  Before Val can answer a great grin spreads across Edgar's face "Gahhhh what am I saying?  I asked for help and you have answered that call.  Please forgive me Mr Wordweaver."

"My lady, thank you." Edgar bows to Zendyra, as he bows he slaps the guard at the table on the back.  The guard stands and also bows although it looks awkward and unpracticed.

Edgar places both hands on the shoulders of the guard "At this rate I won't need you come along tomorrow."  The guard starts to protest but Edgar cuts him off "No you are wounded, you need to rest.  If we... no when we find Father Vaerlan  I shall recount to him all of your valorous efforts - I promise."

Edgar grins as Boldo salutes him.  His grin fades as he stands to attention and offers a sharp well practiced salute in return.  "Thank you my little friend, we will not leave without you.  My only quarry is to seek Father Vaerlan and any Church property in his possession.  I have no interest in nor authority over any of the spoils you talk of, you are free to keep whatever you find."

Speaking to all of you "My friends I thank you all!  I am renewed with hope.  I shall meet you all at the keep gates at first light tomorrow morn."

He turns to the injured guard "Now drink up my friend, you've earned your rest."  He turns and calls out to Bella "Bella, more ale for all my brave friends.  But this man here" he says pointing at the guard "I want him so drunk we have to carry him home!  Ha!"
Val Wordweaver
 player, 12 posts
 Traveling Minstrel with
 a few other useful skills
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 18:43
Re: Arriving at the Keep
After Val's first two songs got things a rolling. He then continues on with two more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNLBPUrzGQ
Followed by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xtB15owWA

By the end of his first two songs word had began to spread through the Keep, that there was someone new in town with real artistic talant, that put that ole' hack  Laern to shame.  By the end of his fourth song.  The place was packed to the rafters.  For the locals were starved to see some new entertainment.  Master Grenzel, who was helping the overworked barkeep, behind the bar.  Was grinning from ear to ear.  An gave the traveling minstrel two thumbs up, when Val looked his way!

Val then sets his lute aside and finished the dregs of his now third tankard of honey mead of the evening, signaling the barkeep to send a fourth on over.  Entertaining was thirsty work.  Clearing his throat to catch everyone's attention.  His tankard of honey mead borne by the lovely young blonde serving maiden, Gretchen.  Who had been seeing to his needs that evening, since he ordered supper.  Arrived just in time.  Fishing two s.p. from his well patronized lute case, to give her as another tip.  If he played his cards right, he planned on giving her a much bigger tip at the end of the night.  By the looks she was throwing his way.  She seemed to be quite taken with him.  An why not, he was quite the catch.  Taking a deep drink from the full tankard, to wet his lips.  Val began to tell a story that went a little something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSXWoOBElw

After finishing with his cunning tales of wonder. Val then spends some time sharing the latest news and rumors from the lowlands to south.  That had taken places since the last time a carvan had been at the keep, late last autumn.  As that is what the locals clamoured to hear.

After he had told them all that he knew.  Val took a short break to visit the privy and stretch his legs.  After ordering a fifth tankard of honey mead and drinking half of that.  The slightly tipsy appearing Val, that was keeping apace with most of the crowd.  Continued on with more music and songs. Which when performed, seem to showed little or no ill effects from the amount of alcohol he seem to have been drinking.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 22:48, Thu 28 Apr 2016.

Dravin Heryld
 player, 16 posts
 Human Magic-User
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 19:32
Re: Arriving at the Keep
A fruit platter with wine and cheese to start, then soup, some kind of roasted mountain bird, and pudding with tea.

Now that was better than rations!  Dravin enjoys the meal and the costs here in the borderlands weren't too bad either, considering you'd have to walk for a day to get to a roadside shack that just might smell only of urine ... and then it was a few more days walk to a place with a real bed and walls.

Wise money was on a river barge station being built here one day; but if they were afraid of invaders coming over the mountains from the north then they'd be in no hurry to do that.  Dravin imagines a future village around here, then a mine, which made town.  Maybe two mines, if there was gold as well as baser metals.

First things first, rescue a priest and make the place safer.
Morgan Hawthorn
 player, 12 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 01:36
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Morgan orders a roast haunch, three slices of bread a wedge of cheese, a bowl of stew, and a couple pieces of fruit. He also orders honey mead to go with it. Giving the girl five gold pieces he says "Keep the change, and keep the mead coming as needed." Setting five more gold coins on the table for her to take when she needs them.
Valgard Mordson
 player, 11 posts
 Cleric of Thor
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 02:16
Re: Arriving at the Keep
Valgard nods to Boldo, "Of course my friend, testing the Norns is what we are put here to do.  You can only gain fortune by taking risks."

He turns to Edgar, "Where my small friend here goes, I go as well."
Dravin Heryld
 player, 17 posts
 Human Magic-User
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 03:18
Re: Arriving at the Keep
According to some philosophers, a silver coin was a day's wage for the common man so a five gold pile was a good two-month's pay.  Dravin thought on it some more: things were no doubt more expensive in the borderlands, so you might expect a doubling of salary.

Even so, Morgan's largesse was generous and while large sums of gold so openly displayed might be unwise here the feel was of security.  The keep seemed a lawful place; no doubt any pilferers were run out at first attempt.

Enjoying the mustic, Dravin made a round of the place, asking about local news and places of interest.  He also inquired of the Captain about mercenaries and man-at-arms for hire.  Part time guardsmen, perhaps.
GM
 GM, 19 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 21:37
Re: Arriving at the Keep
@Val Wordweaver:
During the closing verse of the song The Circle you look around the Tavern and see that all the tables are now full and people are starting to find places where they can stand.  Over by the front door to the tavern is an older gentleman with long flowing silver blonde hair.  The scowl on his face is accentuated by his curled moustache and long pointed beard.  With arms crossed he harrumphs in disgust and walks out slamming the door behind him.

@Everyone:
During the night you all hear or overhear a number of rumours and stories.  Most are dismissed as your typical tavern talk, tall tales and wild stories full of ale and wonder.  Some however may just hold an ounce of truth:



OOC: The "Arriving at the Cave" thread is going up very soon, I'll keep this thread open so please feel free to continue posting here if there's anything you want to do.
Boldo
 player, 9 posts
 Dwarven explorer
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 22:00
Re: Arriving at the Keep
In reply to GM (msg # 25):

Although Boldo is not surprised to hear about the bugbears being scared of dwarves he finds it amusing those creatures have better judgement than he expected them to.

He approaches the remaining guard for a chat as he's drinking, trying to get a better idea why this quest put so much fear into the hearts of his companions Tell me my good man, what are the evils that supposedly lurk in our path? What can we expect to find once we set on this quest?
GM
 GM, 21 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2016
at 22:20
Re: Arriving at the Keep
The guard looks down into his ale and shivers "At first we thought some brigands took him, the priest that is.  So we went to their camp and had a look around.  I expected a fight, really I did.  But they left us alone, I reckon Captain Mugada gave them a bag of money.  That seems to be his answer to everything.  It didn't work with the..." he stammers "with the lizard men.  Ohh I'm getting the creeps just talking about them."

He takes a large swig of his ale and then continues "One of the brigands says he saw a caravan half sunk in the swamp to the south, so we went to check it out.  We found the caravan and it was Father Vaerlan's alright but it was completely empty.  So we're looking around when Domonic screams but when we look around... he's gone!"

"Before we knew it there were lizard men everywhere!  Captain Mugada he..." the man chuckles "he offered them gold.  There he was holding out a bag of gold to this massive green scaly thing!  It just stood there staring at his it did.  It seemed like it stood there forever.  Then it just swatted the bag aside and they attacked."

"We fought hard as we could, we did.  And we won.  I don't know how but we killed them all." he stares into his mug for a long while "But we're just guards you know, we protect people from other people.  We don't know how to fight... monsters.  Captain Mugada went into the swamp with eight men and we stumbled out with four."

"I know the church wants Father Vaerlan back and so do I.. but at what cost?"
Val Wordweaver
 player, 14 posts
 Traveling Minstrel with
 a few other useful skills
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 09:13
Re: Arriving at the Keep
As the hour begins to grow late.  Val plays what appears to be his last four songs of the night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UXanfRL9A
Followed by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MC1j0Y-4Y

After he sang those two songs,  Master Grenzel let forth a yell of.  "LAST CALL FOR ALCOHOL!!!"

Val then continuing with the following two songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuDGZ8qxVKg
Closing with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdL1CPrUMQ

After finishing the song he says.

"Good night one and all!!!  You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. I may or may not be here entertaining tomorrow night.  Depending on how well the search for the missing priest, Father Istiria, goes.  But I'm sure Master Grenzel will have me playing here sometime soon to perform another great show for you fine folks.  Let those here at the Keep, who didn't make it in this evening.  Know to be sure to come see me perform then!!!  An always remember to kindly tip your serving maids and barkeep!  Parting is such sweet sorrow, until we met again!  Here's one last song to send you all on your merry way this night.  If you know the words, be sure to sing along as your going out the front door!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw_yprN_-w
Dravin Heryld
 player, 18 posts
 Human Magic-User
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 14:24
Re: Arriving at the Keep
The guard looks down into his ale and shivers "At first we thought some brigands took him, the priest that is.  So we went to their camp and had a look around..."

Dravin frowns at this story of brigands and bribes.  He decides that stern words would be unhelpful so he instead just listens.  It seemed the guard captain was a pragmatist.  But what happened when the gold ran out, or the brigands just wanted more and more?

"We fought hard as we could, we did.  And we won.  I don't know how but we killed them all."

"Lizard men might have eaten him," Dravin said quietly.  He was sympathetic but it behooved him to point out a likely fate for the missing priest.  They might scour the landscape and never find him, for this reason.

Dravin also makes sure to get a full description of the man, so they could recognise him easily.
GM
 GM, 24 posts
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 15:54
Re: Arriving at the Keep
@Val Wordweaver:
As the last patron staggers out of the Copper Raven Grenzel the barkeep walks over to where Val is packing up and sits down on a nearby stool.  "Well this puts me in quite the predicament it does.  Two predicaments actually." he tosses over a small bag of coins, 4gp to be exact "Don't get too excited, I'm sure it's not as much as the good Captain treasurebags would pay but it's double what I'd pay Laern even on his best nights."

He sighs and rubs his hands through his hair, "That, or more precisely 'he' is my first predicament.  Laern is going to lose his... oh never mind I'll sort Laern out, somehow.  Although right now I have to sort out predicament number two before opening time tomorrow.  We haven't had a crowd like that here in the Copper Raven for a very long time and they drank us out of Ale and Honey Mead.  Thankfully I have a few barrels of Rockhome Ale tucked away in the cellar.  So I'll see you here tomorrow night?  Just try not to get yourself killed tomorrow hmmm?"

@Dravin Heryld:
"Lizard men might have eaten him," The guard drops his head and slumps his shoulders "Then without proof of life, or death Captain Mugada will never stop looking."

"Father Vaerlan is an old man, with short white hair.  He's blind in one eye with a scar on left, no right his cheek.  You know him when you see him."
Val Wordweaver
 player, 19 posts
 Traveling Minstrel with
 a few other useful skills
Sat 30 Apr 2016
at 17:12
Re: Arriving at the Keep
GM:
@Val Wordweaver:
As the last patron staggers out of the Copper Raven Grenzel the barkeep walks over to where Val is packing up and sits down on a nearby stool.  "Well this puts me in quite the predicament it does.  Two predicaments actually." he tosses over a small bag of coins, 4gp to be exact "Don't get too excited, I'm sure it's not as much as the good Captain treasurebags would pay but it's double what I'd pay Laern even on his best nights."

He sighs and rubs his hands through his hair, "That, or more precisely 'he' is my first predicament.  Laern is going to lose his... oh never mind I'll sort Laern out, somehow.  Although right now I have to sort out predicament number two before opening time tomorrow.  We haven't had a crowd like that here in the Copper Raven for a very long time and they drank us out of Ale and Honey Mead.  Thankfully I have a few barrels of Rockhome Ale tucked away in the cellar.  So I'll see you here tomorrow night?  Just try not to get yourself killed tomorrow hmmm?"


Val, who now appears completely sober, tosses the small bag of coins back to the Taverner, saying.  "Come now Master Grenzel, I didn't just fall out of the turnip wagon.  Look at the prices you charge.  It cost me over 3 gold coins just to buy dinner for myself this night.  One can only guess at what a small single room at the Inn might cost.  Don't compare me to that has been, Laern.  There is a reason that old has been has decided to stay here at the Keep.  Likely if he performed in the places I have in the past.  He'd be laughed right off the stage.  I'm sure your aware of the usual terms traveling minstrels like me make with proprietors like you.  You've seen what I can do.  An the numbers of clientel I can bring through your door.  If you expects me to play anymore, here at the 'Raven', while am staying here at the Keep!  You need to do far better then what is in that coin pouch you gave me.

An never you mind my business with the Captain.  That has nothing to do with this.   As for running out of alcohol.  I saw more then couple of dozen barrels of different type, in the caravan wagons that we came in with yesterday.  Along with several crates of full wine bottles.  You must of ordered it last autumn and forgotten it was coming up here this spring.  They surely will be off loading those wagons on the morrow.  So you shouldn't have any troubles on that front!"


Grenzel answered saying.  "You know, your right!  I'll throw in free food and drink, as well as free lodging at the inn next door.  It's be a basic room but it's somewhere to keep your gear safe.  How does that sound?"

Val can do nothing else but agree to the terms.  Then goes looking for Gretchen, helping with her clean up duties, so the two of them can be on there way to her place.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:57, Mon 02 May 2016.