2: On The Run.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 161 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 19:37
1: On The Run
The forge is devouring itself.

The creation zone, the place where each of you was formed, is a white-hot blaze and that brightness flows into the runs and conduits that cover the forge. It is by this light that you navigate your way, loaded though you are, to a doorway that has broken open. The light of the training area beyond are out, but the glare from the forge streams in.

The noise, of course, is tremendous. The forge and its attendant support structure are vibrating rapidly, and pouring energy into the surrounding earth and ice. This, combined with the growing heat, is causing avalanches and collapses. In fact, the hallway leading to the training area can be seen to have collapsed, but the  pile of ice and rock leads to a sizeable opening upwards into a crevice through the ice that apparently surrounds the facility. As the walkway collapses behind you, this becomes the only route.

It's not an easy climb, especially with the unconscious elf and the load of salvage, but you're able to help each other along though the crevice, which seems to be partly a natural formation in the ice, widened by the artificial catastrophe. For a time, light from the burning forge filters eerily through the ice, but with a final tremendous SNAP the light and vibrations both cease.

After a moment, for even your crystalline eyes take time to adjust, you see that the light is not entirely gone. A dim glow filters down from above, tinted dark blue by its long passage through the ice.

Sunlight.
No call for action yet, but I wanted to post at least something.
Graven
 player, 17 posts
 Warforged Swordmage
 Runecarver
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 20:53
1: On The Run
The group climbs in relative silence, at first due to the urgency of their flight, and then simply due to the daunting task of processing everything that had happened that day. The first glimpse of sunlight of Graven's life stops in his tracks. He knows that despite all the histories he's read, he doesn't yet grasp what it means to be entering the outside world, but that glimmer of natural light gives him his first inkling. This life would be entirely different from now on. He looks around at the forged with whom he was sharing this moment, considering them in a new light. "My name is Graven, brothers. We are doing something incredible together."

OOC:
I did some minor dictating here but I feel like it was pretty safe. If anybody disagrees and feels like their character would have been talking this whole time, lemme know and I'll edit accordingly! Pardon the pun, also :P

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:06, Fri 17 June 2016.

Smith
 player, 55 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 21:05
1: On The Run
Smith, rather inexpert at climbing, had not spoken for good reason - the climb was quite hard for him, with his stubby little limbs. Once they finally crested the slope, he sets down his clutched burden and replies; "We did something monstrous, but necessary. Destroying the MotherForge... if I ever destroy such a wonder of artifice again, it will be too soon. And it was our home, too. But... Mother asked us to."
Azm
 player, 26 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 10:39
1: On The Run
As with the others, Azm climbed in silence, part out of concentration, part out of mourning and respect for his now defunct mother forge. As he finally made it to the surface he let out a small noise of surprise. Looking at the sky, he knew he had felt the pull that direction his whole short life, he had read and studied, but nothing could prepare him for the brightness of the, what did the books call this again, sunlight? Or the vastness of the open sky, he felt more than a little excitement and looked forward to seeing what the heavens would show in darkness.

Realizing the others were talking, he comes back to the moment, "Incredible and monstrous. We did what had to be done, you have read in the libraries, as I have. You know what these being made of flesh would be capable of, had our home, our mother stayed intact."

He looks at Smith, "Maybe, in the fullness of time you can come to understand how to rebuild our home and mother forge."

Looking towards their new companion, "I am Azm, this is Smith, over there is Chopper. What do you intend to do with that creature of flesh?"
Graven
 player, 22 posts
 Warforged Swordmage
 Runecarver
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 13:29
1: On The Run
Graven nods to each of the others in turn as Azm names them, and then looks thoughtfully at the elf, pondering the sorcerer's question. "I saved him simply because all life is valuable. Upon further reflection, however, I believe we should try to gather as much information we can from him as possible, especially about the people who sent him. Also..." Graven sighs. "We know we are feared and hated by the outside world. I want to see if it's possible to change that. If we can win the trust of this one, perhaps it would be possible to one day convince the world to accept us. Even if that's not possible, and it never happens, I feel it's our duty to take every step in that direction that we can."
Smith
 player, 58 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 21:21
1: On The Run
Smith nods.

"Fair enough. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding, really. What's not to like about us?

I'll go tend to the elf. I believe the basic principles of alchemical healing would work on him... which reminds me, I need to restock my infusions. Any volunteers?"


OOC: Healing Infusions cost healing surges to recharge, not to use. :)
Graven
 player, 23 posts
 Warforged Swordmage
 Runecarver
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 05:51
1: On The Run
I find your discipline fascinating, Smith, and I'd like to learn more about it. I'm unclear as to what you need a volunteer for, but this strikes me as a good opportunity to gain some firsthand knowledge of your art."
Smith
 player, 60 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 11:23
1: On The Run
Smith nods.

"Yes, you should be a good specimen for this... you are currently undamaged. I shall talk you through the procedure, then!"


Smith draws two vials from a pouch. He then removes something that vaguely resembles a plunger crossed with a syringe.

"All living things, including ourselves, have a vital spark; the alchemist's flame, perhaps the priest's "soul"... the important aspect is that small portions can be withdrawn and stored within this containers - although not too much, that gets dangerous. So... I apply the thaumic deresonomancitator-" he sticks the end of the strange device on Graven "-and then I pull out a small portion of your herepsychomorphotomantic essence."

A swirling green mist is inside the jar. "I simply repeat the process, and I am restocked!"

OOC: You're now down two healing surges, and it's restocked. Hope you enjoyed the magitechnobabble. :)
Chopper
 player, 71 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 11:49
1: On The Run
Chopper had climbed silently. He'd failed twice today and the forge was gone because of that failure. A quiet rage was boiling below the surface, a part of him wanted to maim the elf for her role in destroying his motherforge but it seemed the others were interested in protecting her for reasons he wasn't quite sure of. He was sure he was tired though, or that's the words he had learned to describe the way his body felt at this moment.

"Would it be a problem if we recharged here? I am not my best self at the moment."
GM
 GM, 172 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 19:31
1: On The Run
Climbing up the slope of the ice crevasse, surrounded by ice walls, you had a pretty good idea what you could expect of the surface, and it doesn't disappoint: more ice, more cold. Also wind, a bitterly cold one, though not as immediately damaging as, say, a magical beam of ice. Still, given time, not something even creatures as tough as warforged can stand without harm.

The land is rough, the wind and other natural forces having formed hills, valleys and ridges. There's no sign of flowing water, of course, but the land appears riddled with cracks similar to the one you just made your way out of, some wider, some narrower.

The horizon is marked by two key features. One, Azm has noted: the sun. It's low, but as you watch it doesn't get noticeably lower, but rides the horizon. The other, opposite the sun when you emerge, is a tower of gray smoke. You can't see from whence it emerges, but you can guess its ultimate source: the facility.

Under Smith's ministrations and the shock of the cold the elf begins to come around. Through chattering teeth and his elven tongue he first exhibits surprise at being alive, followed by dismay at the current circumstances of that life. After a moment he settles down to the common tongue that you came out of the forge speaking. "What d-d-d-do you want from m-m-m-me?"