The Forest Primeval.   Posted by The Powers That Be.Group: 0
The Powers That Be
 GM, 356 posts
Mon 29 Jan 2018
at 15:08
Re: The Forest Primeval
OOC: To paraphrase The Clash...do you stay or do you go?
Larzander Gunderzen
 player, 223 posts
Mon 29 Jan 2018
at 19:14
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to The Powers That Be (msg # 388):

What time of day is it? Have we put in a full day yet?
The Powers That Be
 GM, 357 posts
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 04:21
Re: The Forest Primeval
While you cannot be certain as to what time it may be, you're pretty certain it has not been a full day.  Perhaps half, give or take, but again, it is very difficult to judge due to a complete lack of actual sunlight.
Stoney Applesmith
 player, 204 posts
 SP15/AC10
 Thatco18/HP31
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 16:43
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to The Powers That Be (msg # 390):

Stoney will tell you what time of day it is...just by how much he has drank.
"Hmm, wineskin is a little more than half full.  I started with it full, i think.  Maybe, not sure.  Must be about time for another drink!"
Larzander Gunderzen
 player, 224 posts
Wed 31 Jan 2018
at 21:45
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Stoney Applesmith (msg # 391):

OOC: lets press on then...

"I vote we keep on moving a while longer." the barbarian stated.
Boris Underhill
 player, 149 posts
 Halfling
 'Legitimate Businessman'
Thu 1 Feb 2018
at 02:31
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Larzander Gunderzen (msg # 392):

"Larz and I say we press on. Stoney wishes to stay. Ondrea, what say you?" asked Boris.
Stoney Applesmith
 player, 205 posts
 SP15/AC10
 Thatco18/HP31
Thu 1 Feb 2018
at 13:15
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Boris Underhill (msg # 393):

"Stay or go, Go or stay."
Plopping down on the ground, grabbing a bite of dry biscuit, and taking break.
"Lets figure it out.  A nap sounds good, but if you insist on pressing on, fine."
Boris Underhill
 player, 150 posts
 Halfling
 'Legitimate Businessman'
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 09:29
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Stoney Applesmith (msg # 394):

"Ondrea doesn't look like she has any opinion," Boris said, looking at the warrior-maiden.

"Stoney wishes to tarry. Larz and I say we press on. Let's prett on then."
Stoney Applesmith
 player, 207 posts
 SP15/AC10
 Thatco18/HP31
Fri 2 Feb 2018
at 13:46
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Boris Underhill (msg # 395):

Gathering his things, and swinging his pack over one shoulder.
"Fine, but when you are all tired, and crabby I won't say, I TOLD YOU SO!"

Shaking his wineskin to asses how much he has left.
"Ah maybe a good thing we move."

The Powers That Be
 GM, 358 posts
Sun 4 Feb 2018
at 20:18
Re: The Forest Primeval
Wearily but still with great care, you slowly press onward down the hallway.  It runs for several dozen yards before the stone begins turning back into a more natural formation, as if you have entered a natural cave system.  As you press onward, the passageway begins to twist and bend, running up, sometimes down.  Soon it becomes too difficult to judge distance as your movements become erratic following the natural stone contours.  All of a sudden, it hits you...a gust of cool air flies through your group.  Pausing, you find it periodically breezes past.  Fueled by this promising sign, you soldier forward until finally you can see the faint hint of light beginning to glow upon the damp rocks.
Boris Underhill
 player, 151 posts
 Halfling
 'Legitimate Businessman'
Mon 5 Feb 2018
at 06:52
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to The Powers That Be (msg # 397):

Boris reached out and touched Larz, indicating he would go first. He made sure his sword and buckler were at the ready, then moved to the front of the group.
Stoney Applesmith
 player, 208 posts
 SP15/AC10
 Thatco18/HP31
Mon 5 Feb 2018
at 13:26
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Boris Underhill (msg # 398):

Getting ready in a huff...Stoney follows the rest of the party.
"We will follow your lead Boris."
Stoney stays at the rear of the group.
"I will protect the rear!"

Larzander Gunderzen
 player, 226 posts
Wed 7 Feb 2018
at 18:02
Re: The Forest Primeval
In reply to Stoney Applesmith (msg # 399):

Larz shrugged his shoulders and let Boris take the lead. The barbarian followed a few paces back ready to lend aid.
The Powers That Be
 GM, 359 posts
Thu 8 Feb 2018
at 14:42
Re: The Forest Primeval
Pushing forward, through the twists and turns, over jagged boulders and up out- croppings, you finally come to the mouth of the cave.  Sunlight pours in momentarily blinding you as your eyes slowly adjust.  When they finally clear, you can see the thick overgrowth encasing the entrance as the warmth of the sun begins to penetrate your skin.  Peering out, you find you are high above the forest on a cliff face.  Aside from the obvious signs of recent passage, it looked as if this particular cave entrance had been lost to time and nature.

You stand upon a modest out-cropping over looking the land below and beyond.  A small, overgrown path runs down to your right and disappears around a large boulder.  The forest sits below you, thick and dense.  Beyond, in the distance, you can see a large track of landscaped terrain (at least, it is barren of trees and large collections of thick brush; it may simply be an old road not yet fully reclaimed by nature).  It appears to run, as far as you can see, from side to side while along it's upper most edge sits another treeline.  Judging from the map, you're pretty certain you have somehow made your way through the forest and emerged clear on the northern most edge somewhere.  Scanning the terrain below, you spy what appears to be a village, although details are scant from your vantage point.  The sun still shines brightly above but, if you are correct about your position on the map, you may only have a few hours left of daylight.

(Please begin posting in "The Northern Passage")
The Powers That Be
 GM, 499 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 14:41
Re: The Forest Primeval
quote:
The Great Southern Forest is one of three 'light' forests, as the townsfolk referred to them.  By light, they mean slightly less evil, from what you can gather.  What exactly that means has yet to play out...and with trepidation, you leave the town of Strange Port, with it's tall, strong walls behind and step beyond the roadway into the forest.  Within a few yards, the forest has completely enveloped you, blocking out all vestiges of the town.  Birds sing and insects chirp, but something about them sounds wholly wrong, like a single bad note hidden in an orchestra.  The forest canopy, while thick, fails to stifle the sun from flowing downward and the floor is littered with bushes and flowers of all sizes and colors...thankfully as there is very little in the way of thick undergrowth or brush to hinder your progress.

Io the Lost
 player, 8 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 15:48
Re: The Forest Primeval
This forest probably was not known to Io... but is it really different from any other forest?
Evil lurks anywhere, Io knew that, he had two huge scars on both sides of his body to prove it.
It could come in the form of a murder of crows, maybe a pack of worgs, could even be a simple vermin following them... for now, what Io cared the most was to find an ally among this verdant lair.
He kept his senses up, ready to detect any unusual track on the ground, specifically trying to determine where the goblins could've went... but he also tries to see if there is any mark for animals around... be it bears, crows, boars or even wolves.


Galen
 player, 9 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 15:53
Re: The Forest Primeval
"Isn't this forest lovely, Io? Aren't you glad that we came here? Hmmm?"

As Io does his thing, Galen takes a totally different approach, focusing more on taking in his surroundings rather than searching for clues that point forwards. He closes his eyes and listens to the sounds of the forest, apparently oblivious to the dark atmosphere that hides beneath it.
The Powers That Be
 GM, 504 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 14:48
Re: The Forest Primeval
Any signs of actual tracks have long since vanished thanks to the soaking rains which pass across the island.  However, looking closer, you do manage to pick up some sort of trail...broken limbs, rocks and branches kicked over, etc., that continues to run to the north.  Whether it was left by man, animal or other is unknown.

The trail leads you further and further into the dark, cool interior of the forest; the pungent aroma of earth and decay soaking into your skin.  Large, old growth trees, perhaps several hundred or even thousands of years old begin to dot the landscape.  Vines as thick as an arm encircle limps and trunks, reaching upward into the canopy.  Distant sounds of wildlife, both benign and concerning, echo through air.  After several hours, the ground begins to soften and becomes noticeably moist.  Before long, your feet begin making deeper and deeper impressions into the black, fertile soil.  The trees are beginning to thin out somewhat and soon you find hollowed out, long dead trunks still standing.
Galen
 player, 10 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 12:38
Re: The Forest Primeval
"How are you holding, Io? Need to rest? We could sit on one of those dead trees for a while. Oh, also, I forgot to bring food. Whoops. Hope you are not hungry".
Io the Lost
 player, 9 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 12:48
Re: The Forest Primeval
"I'm good"
He looks around.
"Would've expected to see at least an animal around by now, these woods don't seem very tended to"
He groans, then.
"Regardless... I doubt food will be an issue out here: a forest is hardly a place where one can go hungry"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:49, Thu 08 Nov 2018.

The Powers That Be
 GM, 507 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 17:53
Re: The Forest Primeval
Continuing north, you soon find your pace slowed significantly as the ground steadily grew softer and softer.  Before long, you were marching through almost soaked earth, occasionally stumbling as you step in a patch of earth too moist to support your weight.  Without doubt, you were entering some sort of swamp or marshland.  To the east and west you can still see dry land (at least you hoped it would be) while the path north continued to have less and less vegetation.
Io the Lost
 player, 10 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 18:30
Re: The Forest Primeval
Wet ground or not, tracking hordes of goblins and their possible worgs shouldn't be such a arduous feat for Io.
He begins to look around for tell tale signs of the presence of an humanoid settlement nearby.
It could be cut trees, it could be clearing, it could be some in the distance or even some tracks that didn't quite go away yet.
Of course, where worgs go, fur is possibly left behind and so can their scratches upon the flora... plus, goblins aren't know for being clean eater: blood, bones or carcasses of animals they have recently hunted could be laying about, ready to make a track for Io, goblins being arrogant creatures he doubts they would even care to hide their tracks and make their presence hidden.

He would still keep an eye out for other signs, specifically from other animals, for in swamps there lies many, many dangerous creatures.
All he need to continue in this quest of theirs is a mere sign of where the enemies go when it isn't raiding.

The Powers That Be
 GM, 509 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 18:50
Re: The Forest Primeval
As with previous searches, no definitive tracks on any kind could be located, long since washed out by the rain.  However, towards the western edge of the swamp, you find signs that someone, or something, had traveled through the area as the ground still showed signs of disturbance.  Whether it was made by man or beast could not be discerned but it surely did not look natural in any sense.
Io the Lost
 player, 11 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 19:12
Re: The Forest Primeval
"Surprising..."
Comments Io, preemptively answering Galen's question regarding if he had found a track or not.
"Seems like whatever goes through here is actively trying to avoid getting found out..."
He rights himself up, going forward on this disturbance.
"...yet, they must have since killed any animal around: there isn't any track of any type, not even from rodents or birds"
He turns his head around, to face briefly Galen.
"Whatever is around this place clearly is an agent of death... never in my life have I seen a place of wilderness so immaculate"

Galen
 player, 11 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 19:21
Re: The Forest Primeval
"Well, maybe we are not looking hard enough! I could pray to Bibi, almighty Goddess of Healers and Medics, for her aid in locating a specific animal... but i don't know what should we look for! Maybe worgs? Goblins ride those, right?"

Galen seems unphased by the fact that they are getting lost in a foreign forest with no clue of where to go from here.