Strange Ports.   Posted by The Powers That Be.Group: 0
The Powers That Be
 GM, 147 posts
Tue 18 Oct 2016
at 23:23
Strange Ports
Captain Rasmir explains the most recent spat of killings that have taken place.  As it would turn out, one occurred the night before your arrival.  He offers to have one of his men lead you to the house.

"Not much I can tell you about it, to be honest.  One of the towns older residents, a healer and potions master by trade.  Kept to himself mostly.
The Powers That Be
 GM, 148 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 06:33
Strange Ports
OOC: If you have anymore questions for the captain, let me know, otherwise I'll move things along to the location.
Arryn Andrer
 player, 71 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 11:44
Strange Ports
Ready.
Larzander Gunderzen
 player, 53 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 14:27
Strange Ports
In reply to Arryn Andrer (msg # 113):

I'm ready as well...
The Powers That Be
 GM, 150 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2016
at 20:18
Strange Ports
Alright...new thread then :D
Galen
 player, 1 post
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 14:43
Strange Ports
Galen didn't have a high profile. Mostly he moved from town to town without attracting much attention. Since he started traveling with Io, this trait of him only got stressed, as all the looks went to his companion, who had a strong presence.

"We can't keep sitting here with out arms crossed, Io. There is only so much I can do for the injured that increase day after day, and absolutely nothing I can do for those that don't survive. What do you say? Are you up for some adventuring?"
Io the Lost
 player, 1 post
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:03
Strange Ports
The huge, armless man looks at Galen, groaning at the metaphor used, for he could certainly not remain with his arms crossed.
He wore nothing but sandals and pants made of sack.
That's all he had.
That's all he needed.
"To help those that suffer..."
He closes his eyes, thinking.
Then nods.
"... I need to refresh my skills... this goose chase for this artificer is just a waste of time: the only thing I need is to cleanse the world from vampires... wandering about may allow us to both help those in need and gain a true lead..."
He looks at Galen, right in the eye.
"You had an idea in mind or should we just see if any bounty lies on any head?"

Galen
 player, 2 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:52
Strange Ports
"Ah, well... i hadn't really thought about it... but yeah, finding out any leads around town seems sensible. I know a group of adventurers head out of town on the chase for the leader of the goblins. So someone around her must know where to search."

Getting up from the table, Galen goes to the barkeep.

"Good man, would you perhaps tell me and my friend if you have heard any rumors about where the adventurers that arrived in the ghost ship were headed?"
Io the Lost
 player, 2 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:56
Strange Ports
He simply looks at Galen as he heads to the innkeeper... or barkeeper?
Depending on if their tavern had a bar that served alcohol.
Regardless, he mutters to himself.
"Why is that innkeepers seem to have authority over adventurers... when I was hunting zombies on my own I never needed to do this..."
He ponders a for a little while.
"... could it be that I am out of touch...?"
He thinks about it some more... then shakes his head.
"No... it's the adventurers who are wrong"

The Powers That Be
 GM, 488 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 16:18
Strange Ports
The barkeep knows little of the small group of adventurers but offered that they had spent a few moments gathering some information in the town then headed to the north gate to speak with Captain Rasmir.  If anyone knew where they had gone, he would be the man to ask.
Galen
 player, 3 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 16:34
Strange Ports
"Much appreciated, good fella. Here, a coin for your troubles."

Was that a gold piece? This priest must be mad or rich to give away a gold piece for so little.

"Come on, Io. Let's go meet this captain"
Io the Lost
 player, 3 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 16:41
Strange Ports
"...woohoo..."
Says Io, incredibly (not) thrilled at the prostetimean prospective.
With heavy, stomping feet, he follows Galen, heading with him to this Rasmir.
"Honestly... this place is pissing me off, Galen... staying around... looking for information... that's not really my thing... please let's be quick with this..."

Galen
 player, 4 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 17:04
Strange Ports
Galen takes the lead, with Io oozing negativity behind him. Their auras are polar opposites, one optimist and hopeful, the other negative and depressed.

"I've told you before, you need to correct your violent ways. There is more in life than beating up undead. Not saying it isn't important, but look! Here you have a chance to help an honest town get rid of the threat that ails it. You should be excited about it!"
Io the Lost
 player, 4 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 17:06
Strange Ports
"These people can easily help themselves, Galen..."
He says, as he look around.
"...if a random goblin can swing a club so can any other man in this city... we should go hunt bigger threat, the type that normal folk cannot even hope to face... this is just... tedium..."

Galen
 player, 5 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 17:11
Strange Ports
"No help is useless, Io. This people had suffered enough, they are clearly uncapable to deal with the threath. If it is as easy as you say, then we should be able to solve the problem in no time. Besides, meeting this group of adventurers could help us both. Or you plan to end like you did that other time? Chained? Without arms? Hm? You want that again?"
The Powers That Be
 GM, 490 posts
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 13:28
Strange Ports
Moving outside, breathing in the crisp, salty morning air, you are indeed quite surprised by how pleasant everything seems compared to the eeriness and terror that seem to grip the town by night.  The fog has completely retreated leaving behind a rustic yet bustling town.  With the sun now clearly shining, you can see that you aren't too fair from the pier.  The town itself, while small, is quickly filled with the usual noise and chatter one would expect to find.  The markets open for the day and soon people begin filling the streets with vendors hawking various wares to any passerby.  You notice many individuals heading down to the docks to fish but strangely, no one seems to be sailing out for any reason.  In fact, except for 3 larger ships, nothing beyond the size of dingy can be seen.

Making your way to the northern most gates of the town you find a standard stone built archway with large oaken doors held shut by a large plank and several bolts.  On top of the wall archers can be seen pacing about in their duties while a handful of soldiers busy themselves with daily, mundane tasks...oiling armor, feeding the horses, etc.  Peering around, however, you begin to notice that perhaps only a small number might actually be soldiers.  Many look young...far too young to be serving in any military capacity.

As you approach the small training area, from one side of the stone archway, a door opens and a grizzled looking gentleman steps out.  His head is shaved down close to the scalp, revealing a plethora of scars.  His face shows signs of age and wear and his beard, while long and thick, is showing heavy signs of white throughout and a large section is bare; a large visible scar covering the patch.  His armor is simply leather, old and tired yet clearly polished and taken care of, despite the numerous holes and patches.
Galen
 player, 6 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 14:00
Strange Ports
"Look Io, let's ask that cheerful looking old man for the Captain's whereabouts"

As they get near the gate, Galen approaches the war veteran.

"Greetings, good sir. Me, Galen Reseda, and my buddy Io are searching for Captain Rasmir. We believe he might point us in the direction of the source of the town's ailment. Would you happen to know where he might be?"
Io the Lost
 player, 5 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 14:04
Strange Ports
"...cheerful... that's how you would describe him..."
He sighs.
"My life has become a joke..."

He stays behind Galen, examining the man.
Indeed, the two had quite a way in terms of scars and while Io probably had less his scars were a bit... bigger.
About arm sized.
"From the dramatic entrance and the multitude of scars, I believe he may be the Rasmir you are looking for, Galen"

The Powers That Be
 GM, 493 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 18:43
Strange Ports
The man eyes you briefly but without malice.

"Yes, I have heard tell of you two.  Word of an armless fighter travels quickly in such a small place.  I am indeed Captain Rasmir.  So you've decided to lend a...uh...come to try and help then?"

His voice is harsh and guttural.  No doubt, years of screaming for blood and howling in agony have reduced his ability to control much of his sound.  He pauses, an earnest look upon his worn and badly scarred face.  Behind his eyes, one could only see pain and sadness.

"I'm afraid things are much dire than you may understand."

quote:
"The situation here in town is indeed a grim one.  We have had multiple unsolved murders as well as disappearances.  Then, of course, we have the goblin situation...a normal part of life here which has suddenly become a rather extreme case as they have been pouring at us from the woods in record numbers.  Really must say that has me rather concerned as I've never seen such numbers and the bloodlust...it is beyond normal for their kind.  Let's see...our land based trade route is now used only by the most battle hardened or foolish; it has become a veritable death trap.  Thankfully we are rather self sufficient here so the sporadic arrival of traders is not the death bell it is in most isolated towns.  Oh, and how could I forget...I'd avoid any sailing ventures if I were you.  No one has come back from those fogs."

Io the Lost
 player, 6 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 06:57
Strange Ports
"Regarding the goblins"
Io moves forward, to properly meet Rasmir's gaze.
"Do you have any idea where their lair is? Or have you been forced into a permanent defensive position 'till now?"
He mulls it over, then continues.
"Chances are, all these things may be connected somehow: you have the goblins raiding you, the trade routes being overly dangerous and a fog at sea that kills all who enter... it feels like someone wishes to isolate your town and weaken it... maybe this is in preparation of a worse attack, meaning clearing at least one of these issues is fundamental to avoid being caught between a rock and a hard place"

Galen
 player, 7 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 12:05
Strange Ports
"Yes, I have to agree with Io. What you describe sounds like someone organizing things from the shadows. Making a move against the goblins will either get rid of one of the threats, or in the best case scenario reveal the culprit behind all the ailments of the town."
The Powers That Be
 GM, 497 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 14:11
Strange Ports
"All we know for certain is they seem to be based somewhere in the Great Southern Forest (a bit of a misnomer as the town sits to the south of said forest) and are definitely getting help, or at the very least some sort of leadership, from someone or something else.  We've sent men in before and none have returned.  Just sent out a party a day or two ago...strangers to the town...they were rather skilled it would appear but we have not heard from them since."
Galen
 player, 8 posts
 HP: 25/25 AC: 6
 SP: 18/18
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 15:32
Strange Ports
"Well, you got yourselves two new volunteers! Come on Io, let's go help those strangers. You will get to kick some goblins along the way aswell, isn't that mighty fine?"

A smile on his face, Galen bows to the captain and heads through the northern exit.
Io the Lost
 player, 7 posts
 65 / 65 HP
 9 / 9 AC
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 19:10
Strange Ports
He looks as Galen accepts in his stead and just begins walking off.
He then looks back at Rasmir, giving a groan.
"Yes well... I'll try to check the goblins out, if not clear them at least learn something about who's directing them... if we're not back I'd suggest creating a proper military force to deal with at least one of your current problems: if you're in for the long haul chances are you will end up starved"
He turns, then, and follows the optimistic companion, most likely north of the village, towards the Southern Forest.

The Powers That Be
 GM, 498 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 14:41
Strange Ports
OOC: Ok, I'll have you guys switch over to the Forest Primeval thread