[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration.   Posted by The Strange.Group: 0
Daesa Lightspire
 Empathic Nano, 33 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Fri 17 Feb 2017
at 03:39
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"Perhaps, you are hearing the words of the one bound by this... key that you have."  Daesa says quietly, watching the reaction between her companions.  "Look, we could sit here and speculate what is to come, or we can go face it.  This light won't last forever."

She sighs and runs her fingers through her deep red hair.  "Shall we?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Fri 17 Feb 2017.

The Strange
 GM, 88 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 01:07
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Lofwyr looks over at everyone, strangely calm throughout the explosion of exposition... but chuckles, taking one of the markers off his wristband. It telescopes out, slightly, growing into a small tripod. He places it on the ground near where Dexil is hunched over. Finally, he speaks, "I'd love to know more about the key, too... but if we're going to move on, we should likely do what they're paying us for, first. Search, recover, put what we don't want here. I think it's safe to assume this room is free of beasties, so..." and with that, he heads over to a corner to sift through rubble.

OOC:
Anyone wishing to search, let me know a general where and what, and please roll a public Intelligence check at level 5. (d20, target 15. Pool points can be spent before you roll if you wish -- declare the spend in your roll)

Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 20 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 05:46
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
With one eye kept on Taelan, Tor turned his attention to where Dexil had claimed there was tubes or holes or chutes of some kind and began his own search there

OOC:
05:43, Today: Tor the Younger rolled 17 using 1d20.  Searching Chamber - Training, Expending Effort (Intellect).
GM Edit: Effort cost 3. Difficulty dropped 1. Training dropped 1. Difficulty dropped to 3. Target is 9. 17 Succeeds by 8.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:54, Sat 25 Feb 2017.

Taelan Faswell
 Fugitive Jack, 39 posts
 Cranky
 Carries a big hat
Sat 25 Feb 2017
at 07:54
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
As Tor asked if Griever was the name of his sword Taelan nodded slowly and exhaled sharply through his nose, returning his weapon to the strapping on his hip and taking a step away from the group, pointedly turning away from the others as he tried to calm himself though he had little success in that effort. At one point his shoulders would tense a bit and he would glance over his shoulder towards the group before looking to Lofwyr and nodding again. "Yes... Distraction would be best right now... Let's do what we've been hired to do..." He would roll his neck from side to side and tilt his hat back a bit to less obscure his view as he searched the room admittedly a little separated from the group as he tried to bring down his temper.


OOC::
23:46, Today: Taelan Faswell rolled 15 using 1d20.  Searching Chamber, trained in Perception tasks, aiming for 12. Yay, not another 1!
GM Edit: That's a success by three.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:04, Sat 25 Feb 2017.

Daesa Lightspire
 Empathic Nano, 34 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 20:42
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"Good plan."  Daesa responds as she adjusts her pack on her back and starts to do a bit of searching herself.  "Is it really safe to assume that?  I have a feeling that nothing in this place is safe to assume anything."

[OOC]: 15:10, Today: Daesa Lightspire rolled 1 using 1d20.  Searching the Chamber. No modifers.
The Strange
 GM, 89 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Mon 27 Feb 2017
at 18:48
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
OOC:
Thankfully, this is a group challenge, and as such a 1 doesn't mean a disastrous failure immediately (possible). Indeed, the forced intrusion Daesa gets as a result could happen at any time (depends in part on what I roll her finding -- mwahahaha).

That said, total target between the 6 of you was 72. (9+12+12+12+15). Total roll: 68. So... it was an overall failure, but not enough to be disastrous. Just not very profitable. Dexil and Lofwyr find nothing. The rest of you will be pinged with private roll requests. We can discuss what you find in private messages here on the board or on the Discord. What you do with them is up to you (add them to the pile of things to go back to the soldiers near the beacon Lofwyr set down to go into your group payout, into your pockets, or split amongst the team,

Following up with further roll requests for loot.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:19, Tue 28 Feb 2017.

The Strange
 GM, 92 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 20:46
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Time: 2315 Hours

The voice doesn't return to Taelan once the sword is put away, although the specter of that interaction remains. Slowly each of you begin to sift through the rubble, giving a good hour or so to the task. This area, at the very least, already gives an impression of already being well-sifted through, enough so that neither Dexil or Lofwyr find much of anything of note.

Jaeda keeps to one corner, mostly, pocketing a few shins she finds here and there. . Aside from that, she actually drags over anything else she finds and places it by the beacon.

The first thing she finds, of all things, looks like a pair of oversized, metal boots. Initially, she hisses when she grabs them, throwing them away from her in disgust and fear as they sizzle and steam once revealed to the air... almost looking red hot. She pauses, however, looking confused as she looks at her unmarred fingers. She walks over to them again, placing a hand near them, and frowns, "No heat..." A tentative touch, and then she grabs them again, gingerly dropping them by the beacon, "Spirits take them... things are likely cursed. Let the Baron deal with it."

After that, she brings out what looks like a small, clear canister filled with an ever-broiling smoke, attached to a spray nozzle of some sort, a pair of gloves and goggles connected by wires that she similarly gives a wide, disgusted berth to, and finally a sheet of synth, she looks at, grimaces at, and then places in the growing pile as if it were filth. Clearly, not a great haul in her estimation.

OOC:
Those who find anything, feel free to share what others can see you grab in your replies. Also let me know in PMs if you wish to investigate anything left behind by the others.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:21, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

Lofwyr Hawkesong
 Clever Nano, 9 posts
 Nano
 Ports and Plugs
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 05:20
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Lofwyr frowns (he isn't pouting, no matter what anyone says) as his search turns up nothing. At least most of the others are having better luck, though Jaeda at least doesn't seem to be properly appreciative.

"Hey, you don't mind if I look at these, do you? Thanks!" Not waiting for an answer, he bends down to examine the superstitious woman's castoffs. Those boots are interesting. He lays a hand on them, marveling at the appearance of heat without any of the effects. "They're burn-y boots, but without the burn! Though, I wonder…" He trails off as he reaches under his hood and plucks out a long black hair, then sets it carefully on one of the boots and leans back to see if it burns.

"Well, that's a little disappointing," he says as the hair sits there, decidedly un-burned. The numenera having apparently lost his interest, he sifts through the other items before holding up the gloves-and-goggles combo. "I'm gonna take these. The Baron can have his weird corpse dissolver back." He digs through his pouches for a moment before pulling out the wrist-mounted device he'd taken back in Labaryth and adding it to the pile.

OOC:
Lofwyr Hawkesong rolled 2 using 1d20+1.  Numenera (trained, +1 asset).

This message was last edited by the player at 20:48, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 21 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 13:42
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
With a smile at Lofwyr's pout and trade (or switch and bait, he couldn't be sure), Tor added a pair of items he had uncovered to the pile: a single antler made from frozen fire and a set of chimes. When he set the latter down, an inhuman growling and muttering echoed as is far off in the distance. Glancing at the others, the delver winced, "Perhaps one to keep with us..."

He considered for a moment and then wrapped the chimes in a spare shirt and placed them close to the top of his pack. He slipped a handful of shins into a belt pouch almost without thought and held up a final item so that the light caught it and he might consider what it could be, or do. From close by it appeared to be some wriggling hair worm, contained within a small vial. Given the humour and strangeness of some of those who had come before, it was probably meant to be ingested

OOC:
13:35, Today: Tor the Younger rolled 16 using 1d20.  Numenera. Trained => Cypher Lore

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:01, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

The Strange
 GM, 93 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 18:13
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
OOC:
Private Responses

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:15, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

Dexil Guilan
 Inquisitive Jack, 24 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 22:22
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Dexil rose from his fruitless task and observed Lofwyr's examination of the cyphers as well as Tor's contribution to the collection. Moving forward with an even pace, he joined them around the beacon. After observing the worm-vial Tor was holding up for a second he turned his attention to the antler and picked it up, his movements as expressionless as the mask on his face. The oddity glew when his hands touched it and slowly a semblance of a smile spread across until then unseen mouth like slit, as Dexil put the now shiny antler into his pack.

Attention turning back to the pile, and his expression once again blank, he carefully picked up the smoke-vial, turning it over in his hands as he peered at it, his eye-slits narrowing. With a nod, he pulls out a vial of his own, this one containing a silvery liquid, and replaces it with the new found. "Stone-eater." he comments matter of factly as he leaves the old cypher at the beacon.
Daesa Lightspire
 Empathic Nano, 35 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 01:46
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Daesa doesn't find a whole lot.  Perhaps her mind isn't in it, and it's occupied by other things and thinking about what has happened and what is to come.  Still after the hour has passed she does return with a pair of strapless goggles that she holds up.  "I don't think these are a cypher, I think they're old.  Really old."  She holds them up toward the group, wondering if it's even worth putting in the pile.
Taelan Faswell
 Fugitive Jack, 40 posts
 Cranky
 Carries a big hat
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 08:07
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Taelan would remain mostly quiet as he did his own search until he gave out a small yell of surprise followed by, "This... this is just too much..." Looking his way the group would see him holding a small box with the lid open. Inside was what looked like a very intricately carved bust of Lofwyr. Taelan snapped the lid shut and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath to calm himself though it seemed like if he had the power smoke would be billowing from his nostrils. He looked to Lofwyr, opening the box again. "Would you mind explaining why there is glass version of your head in this-" But he would stop and look perplexed at the box, realizing where once there had been a glass bust of Lofwyr there was now one of Dexil with the same expression he currently he had at the exact moment. Confused he would close and open the box again, watching as the old bust crumbled and reformed into another face, this time the face of Daesa.

With a small huff Taelan would snap the box closed one more time and shake his head in frustration. "It's just mimicking the faces of people nearby." He set the box down into the pile most likely a little harder than necessary and set a small cypher alongside it, a small disk that was flat on one side with little sharp hairs on the other. Stomping away he would adjust his hat while muttering under his breath. "I hate this place..."
Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 22 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 13:33
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"It is unnerving", agreed Tor, shivering slightly and discarding a small cube with a glass top from his pack
The Strange
 GM, 95 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 19:25
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
OOC:
So items being left behind: Wrist launcher, cube with a glass top, steel container with silver grease, small metal disc, and Taelan's scary little box. These items are now considered inaccessible... you will not be able to come back for them later. Total worth per the agreement with the Baron: 12 shins.


Time: 2345 Hours

Leaving the previous room, confident that everything that can be found has been, the group proceeds, walking through the wide "passageway" to the south. Torch in hand, Daesa leads the group forward.

The surrounding walls remain much the same... occasionally a ruined, impassable door found, but otherwise not much changes. Debris crunches underfoot as you break through to another large area, almost identical in size to the first. Another similar passageway exits to the south.

Jaeda walks about midway through the group, her hand idly petting the furry creature at her chest in its sling. "The place is unnerving, agreed... but I think you may be giving it too much power, Tee. We've all been drawn here. Thirty-seven of us, if I remember what the baron said properly. So yes, the rest of us are connected to you, but this is greater than any one of us. I get the feeling we'll find answers if we press on."

As she says this, Daesa stops, suddenly, as a thin, red light pierces the gloom. A soft beep, barely audible over the other mechanical noises of the city, can be heard. Several more can be heard, and four additional red beams shoot out, none of them touching the team, or coming close to, but they clearly block passage further... unless one can sneak past or break the beams.
Daesa Lightspire
 Empathic Nano, 36 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 05:30
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
For the moment, Daesa holds on to her find, leaving it in her satchel for the moment, and plans on depositing it when they get to their next beacon.  That bizarre head in a box thing causes her to make a face, obviously she did not approve of her own likeness.

Taking the lead with her torch, she is careful as she walks, which is probably a good thing since those red laser like beams pop out in front of her.  "Ehm.  Well.  As much as I'd like to continue on, I have a slight fear that this is going to rip me in half so..."  She takes a few paces back and out of the way.

"Maybe we should throw something at it and see what happens."
Dexil Guilan
 Inquisitive Jack, 25 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 06:19
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Dexil stopped alongside everyone else and peered curiously at the beams. Taking a few steps left and right to observe them, he raised his hand at Daesa. "Don't throw anything." He traced the beams with his finger towards the rubble they originated from. "Gazers." he proclaimed and then wondered aloud "Guardian lazers? Gazing lasers?" shaking his head he returned to his explanation "Breaking a beam will activate the combat drone. If clustered like this they will likely all follow."

His slits narrowing he rattled on in almost mechanical voice "Option. Clear the rubble around one. Don't disturb the beam. Investigate. Deactivate. Option. Engage and destroy. Dangerous. Option. Contain. Unknown."
Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 23 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 08:36
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"Gazers?", repeated Tor, rolling the word around his head to see if he could recall anything from his delves into the chasms near home. He crouched, head cocked as he listened to the young jack's monotone assessment of their options. Perhaps he could see something of the emitters or drones amidst the rubble

OOC:
08:31, Today: Tor the Younger rolled 11 using 1d20.  Perception. Trained, Expending Effort (2 Intellect).

The Strange
 GM, 96 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 17:56
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
The object Dexil points out is mostly buried in the rubble strewn about the area... although once a light source gets closer, part of it is visible. The device seems strangely spherical in nature, clearly mechanical, and the best guess you have is that it is about the size of a human skull...perhaps a bit smaller.

A soft beeping emanates, nearly inaudible, from the one closest to the group.
Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 24 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 21:20
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Rocking back on his heels, Tor remained at a crouch. He called out softly to the others, not taking his gaze from the devices, "I have seen these before, in the presence of the Child..."
Lofwyr Hawkesong
 Clever Nano, 10 posts
 Nano
 Ports and Plugs
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 17:48
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"That would be the pillar thing? Were they doing anything there or were they just decoration?" Lofwyr wonders, only half expecting an answer. "Anyway, I vote for the not-fighting plan. One killer robot is fine, a roomful is less fine."

He peers at the room for a moment, then says, "I think I might be able to figure out how to turn them off, but I'd need to tinker a bit to do it. D'you know if touching them will set them off too?"
Taelan Faswell
 Fugitive Jack, 41 posts
 Cranky
 Carries a big hat
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 18:04
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Taelan gives Jaeda a sideways glance at her comment as he stays on the defensive as they move forward. "You may be right but if it turns out I happen to know those other thirty-seven as well I may lose my damn mind."

As the beams of light become active in front of them Griever is removed from the belt strapping once more and Taelan holds it by the hilt losely in his right hand though he keeps it in the scabbard with comment as to why. Walking up to but several feet behind Tor he cranes his neck a bit to look at the one everyone else is looking around before glancing to the others. "There has to be some way of getting through this without setting them off. I could probably get through this fine but... no offense but I don't think everyone could. Could they possibly be all connected? Maybe there's some kind of control on the other side of the room to turn them all off?"
Dexil Guilan
 Inquisitive Jack, 26 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 19:56
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Dexil cocked his head as he considered the myriad of questions and suggestions. His voice reverted to human, although he still spoke with precision as he gave further information. "They are sensitive, the beams more than casings. Be gentle."  he answered Lofwyr before giving a shake of his head and addressing T "Gazers are autonomous. Connected so far as to rise together. Using that link to disable all would be... difficult. Codes were likely used for authorized persons to bypass them. If we find a working algorithm it would be better to apply it to each individually."
Tor the Younger
 Sharp-Eyed Seeker, 25 posts
 Seeker
 A Unique Attitude
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 10:02
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
"Before", began Tor, "When I found the Child, I mean. All of these .. Gazers .. had been destroyed, carved apart. I'm unsure whether I would have been able to defeat them, or even if they would have fought me."

He stood, making a choice and stepped one pace closer to the beams, calling out into the darkness, "I am a Father. I seek the Mother. Will you let me pass?"
The Strange
 GM, 97 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 15:35
[IC] Episode 004: Time Enough for Exploration
Time: 2405 Hours

As Tor steps forward, Jaeda makes her own move, securing Puffball in his sling tightly with a quick mental command, to which he obediently responds, slowly pulling two rapiers from her side. The first has a slightly dazzling ribbon of blue light dancing across its blade, while the other seems to almost wreathe itself in shadow. Underfoot, something crunches, as she looks down, the broken remains of another, inactive Gazer crushing beneath her foot, the globe long ago hollowed out. "Demons of air it is..." The shadowed blade returns to its sheathe. "Do what you must... I will prepare to battle."

As Tor stands and speaks out... nothing happens. The steady beeping continues, and the beams remain in place. Clearly, they are not sound or voice activated.

OOC:
Currently, we have had two viable options to get past that have been presented so far, be it in thread or via PM.

First, you can all attempt to sneak around the beams. This would be an L6 Speed task, which Acrobatics could be used as a skill to lower difficulty. EACH of you would need to succeed a single such attempt. One failure would activate all 5 Gazers, and initiate combat. Applicable Esoteries, Tricks, Secrets, or Moves may also be used to further reduce the difficulty.

Second, one of you can attempt to deactivate the Gazers. This would be done one at a time. It would require an L4 Intellect task, with either a Numenera or Automata skill able to be applied to lower the difficulty. However: This would need to be successfully completed /5/ times. A single failure would activate any non-deactivated Gazers and initiate combat. Applicable Esoteries, Tricks, Secrets, or Moves may also be used to further reduce the difficulty.

Of course, you could always go with the idea of throwing someone/something at a gazer, although that would, indeed, initiate combat. :)

Or, if a third idea is presented, I will advise what the difficulty there would be.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:44, Thu 09 Mar 2017.