[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth.   Posted by The Strange.Group: 0
Taelan Faswell
 player, 9 posts
 Jack
 Fugitive
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 04:53
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Taelan stayed respectfully silent in regards to Lofwyr's comment about sitting with company being better than sitting alone. He wasn't entirely sure he completely agreed with the sentiment, but he wasn't in right frame of mind to start down that particular mental rabbit hole.

Turning to follow Jaeda down the stairs he adjusted the hat back to it's normal lowered position, covering his face in shadow once more. Reaching the bottom of the stairs he glanced around long enough to notice a woman gesture his way and refer to him as 'the hat man'. He raised a confused eyebrow for a moment before glancing to her companion at the table. He eyes go wide for the third time in several minutes, momentarily in shock at seeing another person he recognizes. "Oh, for the love of..."

He barely has time to glance at the woman Dexil is sitting with, mildly curious if he knows her too and just doesn't recognize her right away, when the odd couple walks in.

A hand snaps reflexively towards his belt as the larger and more imposing figure enters the room, not sure want to think of him. Taelan had met a few gentle giants in his days and he wasn't confident this was one of them. Next his gaze fell upon the woman that seemed to be wearing an outfit themed around the word flashy. A scowl crossed his lips for the briefest second at the upper class appearance of her clothes, though his face quickly went back to guardedly neutral. He studies the pair for a moment before his eyes meet Jaeda's, noticing that she seemed to be unnerved by the pair as well, though for seemingly different reasons.

He chanced a glance over at the technophile as he seemed to drool over the pair. This caused him to suddenly become aware of himself as his gloved hand left the grip of his weapon. He took a deep breath and looked at the priest who had spoken, his face pointed obscured by the shadow to hide the still light glare that was being sent the woman's way. He stood straight and stated flatly that his name was simply, "Taelan..."
Dexil Guilan
 player, 8 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Wed 13 Jul 2016
at 08:42
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Dexil had been about to respond, but the excitable woman was off before he could as the common room became suddenly busy.

Doing what he knew best and how he was taught, he quickly assessed those present. Dexil recognized T but none of the others. There were evidently commonalities between them and they were far from complete strangers...

... unlike the Aeon Priests. An odd pair, possibly more active in dabbling with the numenera than their more academic brethren, but they were the real strangers. Remaining seated Dexil waved and spoke his name, more interested in observing the other assembled 9th Worlders.
The Strange
 GM, 32 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 04:22
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
A smile crosses the lips of both priests as each individual introduce themselves. Apparently, they are well-accustomed to such disparate responses. The larger man looks first to Daesa, his grin widening, and then actual joy crosses his entire face as Lofwyr mutters what he must have thought was unheard. A slight nod is tipped the man's way, but the giant says nothing.

A moment of silence passes, and then the woman speaks again, “We have arranged transport for you outside. Please, follow me. Any items left here will be perfectly safe. Once you are done with the meeting, we will return you here.” With that, she turns, the giant behind her following silently.

Outside, a large vehicle awaits, easily large enough to hold the full party of seven with even a few more. The large, luxurious vehicle is pulled by a massive beast, large enough that alone it almost takes the entire width of the road. Common enough beasts, the aneen are often used for transport, for heavy labor, and even as a primary source of meat for many communities, although they are not commonly seen this far south. Its digigrade legs alone are at least ten feet long, the body itself adding another five feet to that. A massive head, easily large enough to take an entire human in its jaws alone. The turtle-like head doesn't look like it would normally be aimed at such, however. It is clearly an herbivore.

The two quickly board the vehicle, waiting for the others to join.

[OOC: +1 XP to Lofwyr for making the GM literally LOL at work with that last one. These sort of arbitrary XP awards aren't going to be common, but that stayed with me for more than one day, so... rewarded!]

[OOC: Everyone, please roll Initiative. This will be your Speed base + 1d20. Include your result in your response.]
Dexil Guilan
 player, 9 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 12:29
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Dexil followed, content enough in the Priests to take them at face value, and boarded the vehicle. Aneen were a common enough sight that he barely paid it any notice aside from giving it a wide berth just in case it kicked out as they were sometimes known to do if frightened.

"Is the journey far?"

Dexil had his satchel and books with him, though he travels lightly his tomes rarely leave his side....

[OOC: 15!]
Jaeda Swiftsteel
 player, 13 posts
 Glaive
 Intense Training
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 15:10
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Oh good. Animal-drawn transportation. Jaeda let out a sigh of relief. This was something nice and normal. Transportation as it was meant to be done.

She'd done a double take at Lofwyr's comment. And she'd curiously examined her companions. It was a somewhat smaller group then for some reason she'd been envisioning. She straightens her hat on her head and boards the vehicle, settling in.

[[OOC: 32]]
Daesa Lightspire
 player, 8 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 01:37
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Daesa looks toward the large fellow who catches her eyes.  For a moment she tilts her head, than she gets a very excited look on her face and starts nodding quickly.  However she says nothing at all and soon breaks eye contact with the large man and happily walks out of the room toward the carriage.


[[OOC: 16]]
Taelan Faswell
 player, 10 posts
 Jack
 Fugitive
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 07:38
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Taelan's appeared to relax a little at the apparent jovial nature of the large man, though the regal looking woman was still receiving a bit of his ire. The intensity of the glare lessened a bit as the rest of the group filed out of the building into the awaiting carriages. He paid the animals pulling the vehicle little mind as he instead was glancing around at the group of familiar faces, spending an extra moment on the one he didn't recognize. This woman had introduced herself as Daesa and as far as he knew she was the only one that had been summoned he hadn't met before. Was there some unknown meaning behind this or was this purely coincidence? He sighed heavily as he climbed into his seat, obviously a little on edge from the strange circumstance.

[[OOC: Natural 1, adding up to 13. Oh joy...]]
Lofwyr Hawkesong
 player, 5 posts
 Nano
 Ports and Plugs
Sat 16 Jul 2016
at 16:52
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Lofwyr lagged behind the rest, blinking slowing as if processing something. Something definitely caused him to stop his incessant chatter. Which is a small miracle in and of itself. The man ambled on though, after a few moments of processing, outside of the building to find himself staring at the transport.

He always liked creatures.

As he went though, he waited until the robed woman looked away before he slowly gave the big giant a thumbs up.

Scavengers are a odd bunch.

She shook himself out of all this to look towards the other two member of the little group, and then there is that grin again. "Hi! Looks like we are gonna be traveling together for awhile now! I'm Lofwyr!" The introduction given as he clambered up into the transport. Seemingly entirely comfortable traveling somewhere with a group of relative strangers.

[OOC: 14]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:58, Sat 16 July 2016.

The Strange
 GM, 33 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 16:30
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
The ride, despite the size of the beast of burden, is surprisingly comfortable for a non-powered method. People move out of the way in deference, and some even call out to the priests with familiar, joyful voices. When asked about the city, the two don't speak much, especially the giant, although a few questions are answered.

The lack of doors? “None would dare breach a barrier that isn't welcome to them. Those who do are always caught, and the penalty is five nights within the walls without escort. You can imagine the end results.”

The cleanliness? “You can't see them... but apparently those who built the city were obsessed with it. Numenera scour the streets and walls all day, removing clutter and debris. All of us took to this example, and do our best to keep things as they are.”

As to the history of the city, other than what's currently known about its discovery and founding within the past few centuries, there's very little. Apparently the primary purpose of the city is rumored to be hidden under it, but few are brave enough to risk its depths.

Perhaps half an hour's ride later, the carriage pulls up to the massive pair of obsidian towers seen even from a distance when approaching the city. The first is the one they lead you do as you disembark, and by the trappings it's clear it's the one dedicated to the Barony; paintings of previous Barons and their families line the walls..

Within, you are led immediately to the center of the tower, and up a black staircase. Glowglobes light the path up, with very little in the way to decorate the stairs. They lead up to several levels, each circular, with 17 featureless doors, and then another set of stairs. Thirty-five levels in all, until you reach what is likely the top.

This is a single room, far brighter and more ostentatious than anything else you've seen here. Open flames, burning endlessly from multiple braziers, are suspended from the ceiling with no visible anchoring Weapon displays line the walls, with all matter of weaponry, from the basic to the more esoteric. A large desk, made of the same material as the tower, almost seemingly grown from it, sits in the center, bare at the moment. An elaborately carved thrown sits behind that, also seemingly grown from the tower itself.
The Strange
 GM, 34 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 16:43
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
On it sits... an odd man. Small in stature... unusually so. No more than four and a half feet tall. His body is perfectly proportioned for his size, however, rather than showing the common signs of dwarfism. An elaborate mechanical device wraps about his scalp like a crown, moving parts shifting and whirring constantly, metal tendrils reaching down into his hair and beyond, under his collar. When his hands show, these same metal tendrils show to come out of his cuffs, to wrap sinuously around each finger. Every movement is punctuated with a soft, purring whir.

One either side of him, two... creatures stand at attention. Visitants, most call them – humanoids known not to be human, yet not abhuman or mutant. For many, they are the things of rumors and legend, not a reality. On his left side, the visitant is a creature covered not with skin, but with green, fleshy bark that occasionally sprouts with shoots that flower, wither, and die while you watch it. A single, large, bulbous eye sits in its conical head, with no other facial features visible. It wears no armor, although in the place where we would expect to see clothing, a thicker, browned, In one three-taloned hand, a glass staff is held; small, pink, phosphorescent creatures can be seen swimming within it. A black, natural bark shield is growing from it's left arm.

The second, might be even stranger. Standing nearly as tall as the giant, a beast with skin a dark violet-red hue, a head that can only be described as fish-like, small, yellow-slit eyes, and a tall, thin crest atop it's head. It is thin, and sinewy, almost no body fat to be seen. A metallic weave serves as its armor, almost a body suit that leaves no mystery to its musculature. This armor is its thickest around the chest region, where another plate appears to be crafted on to the bodysuit. Wrist-mounted blades appear to be its primary weapon.

Behind the throne, another priest stands: The Cardinal. That much is clear by the medallion hanging from his neck, bearing the eye of truth. His robes are simple, compared to some... crimson cloth without the intricacies of the others, a hood pulled over his head, and a mask covering his face: a simple, featureless, white bit of synth.
Jaeda Swiftsteel
 player, 14 posts
 Glaive
 Intense Training
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 17:06
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
In reply to The Strange (msg # 44):

Really, it's at moments like these that Jaeda understands the fears of the city she's abandoned.

But she has to admit. Cleaning demons are pretty cool.

And it's nice to know she won't have to rig up elaborate traps just to sleep at night.

Meanwhile, she does her best not to gape at the vistants. These, she'd never seen before. Truly, she had begun to think of herself as rather sophisticated and worldly these days, but she now feels like a bumpkin once more, and quite out of her league.

Still, she sweeps off her hat and bows to the assemblage, figuring that's what's appropriate when meeting with cardinals and the like. It never hurts to flatter a client. She doesn't get too ostentatious or ridiculous about it, plopping the hat back on her head and straightening after only a moment longer than she took to bow when introducing herself earlier.

Surreptitiously, she checks the reactions of the other members of her party, curious as to what their reactions to all of this might be.
The Strange
 GM, 35 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 17:18
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
The small man speaks with a voice that is shockingly low for one of his stature, calling each of you by name with a smile. “Thank you, each of you, for taking the time to meet with me.” He makes a gesture, and five 'chairs' begin to grow out of the onyx floor, one for each of you. “I know this must seem a bit much... but we are needing help, and reaching out as far as we can to get. That includes soliciting the help of people such as yourself.” He grins, and a moment later servants, human this time, bring water, serving it to everyone.

“I will answer your questions shortly, of which I'm sure there are plenty, but in the interest of time, I ask you to bear with me as I lay out the most basic points of what we wish to hire you for. After that, w can elaborate on the fine points.”

“Three months ago, about four days ride south of our city, on the border with Milave along the Kelen river, a large... artifact city revealed itself, where previously grazing hills once stood. A massive pyramid, floating over a ruined city we've never seen before, stands there now. We've already got troops staked out at every entrance to the city, and now need adventurers such as yourself to help us map it out, gather any usable tech, and hopefully grant us access to the pyramid proper.”

The Cardinal then speaks, her voice not muffled by her mask, “The Truth: we are following standard protocols. Initial investigation of a newly-discovered ruin requires the utilization of less... well known heroes. Those with a likelihood of success without being such high-profile adventurers that their deaths will cause as much distress among the populace, until we know the level of threat.”

The Baron's eyes narrow a bit, but he nods, rather than contradict the other, “This is true. This is also why your job will be simple. You're not expected to be the legendary heroes here. We've solicited the help of three groups so far, each small groups like your own here, and sent them over. The other three  are already there, and having some success. We wish to hedge our bets. If you run into anything too difficult to handle, you are welcome to document what you can as you flee, and report it back to us as well. All information you provide us will be useful.”

He smiles, “You will be provided provisions, and can resupply with our troops at any time while you are there. You will be given means to send back details of what you encounter, as well as any minutia you can't carry yourselves but you know will be useful to us or others. For each of those you send back to us, your group payment will be 3 shins, to split as you see fit. On top of that, for each day you spend in exploration, you will be paid 5 shins apiece. If you are the first to find us confirmed entry to the pyramid, we will add an additional 20 shins each.”

He leans back, then, interlacing his fingers, “So... questions? Are you interested?”

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:20, Sun 17 July 2016.

Dexil Guilan
 player, 10 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Mon 18 Jul 2016
at 10:03
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Dexil had remained largely quiet for the journey, content to let the others fill any silence with their queries of the city, instead keeping an eye out for any automata he may get the chance to observe.

The discussion, on arrival and ascent of the tower, had piqued his curiosity. Aside from automata such grand mysteries always drew him in. An entire city appeared with a floating pyramid above it? Before he'd research this new location of the 9th World he had questions itching to be asked;

"Baron, many questions, I don't know where to start. Is anyone already living in the city at all? What have the other teams found so far? Have the Order identified the city, it's origin or populace at all? Why the focused interest in the pyramid? Does the Order know what it contains?" ... he stopped himself as he became aware he was firing questions faster than they could likely be dealt with.

Dexils words came fast, it was rare to hear him speak so much, but when the floodgates are opened....
Daesa Lightspire
 player, 9 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Wed 20 Jul 2016
at 16:42
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Daesa spent the journey to the baron in quiet awe.  She appears to be trying to take in all the sights that she could in short time it takes them to get there.  She twists and turns in her chair as they ride and occasionally asks questions about the city in general.

Walking up to the office was almost an ordeal.  She hasn't had to climb a spire this hight but she doesn't vocalize any complaints.  Once their task is explained she looks ready to ask questions but Dexil beats her to it. She looks rather excited that someone else word vomits as much as she does.

"I think he asked the best questions." She says brightly as she waits for the answers.
Taelan Faswell
 player, 11 posts
 Jack
 Fugitive
Thu 21 Jul 2016
at 07:23
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Pulling up to the large obsidian towers, the scowl that had been slowly fading from Taelan's expression started to return. He usually did not enjoy getting involved with people this obviously rich and powerful, the but the idea of what he could potentially gain from this interaction was enough to help him keep his opinion to himself. He did mutter quietly under his breath as they reached the massive staircase, "Of course it's on the top floor. The better to look down on the city." He shook his head, wondering what exactly he had gotten himself into as he started to climb.

Finally reaching their destination he gives the pair of hulking body guards a wary glance, not moving immediately as seats are offered. He does eventually relax enough to sit down, though it takes a moment before his eyes leave the two visitants to finally listen to what the Baron has to say.

Taelan's hands unconsciously grip the glass of water he's holding as the Cardinal basically describes them all as expendable nobodies. He lowers his head a moment, the brim of his hat blocking his face as he mutters curses under his breath, obviously not very appreciative of the sentiment. He takes a deep breath to calm himself as the topic of payment comes up, reminding himself why he accepted this invitation in the first place.

He listens as Dexil asks his questions, covering most of the topics he was curious about when it came to the job in one fell swoop. There was one thing that had been nagging him since the small bird came to him and he felt he desperately needed at least that question answered. He straightened himself in his chair and looked at the Baron directly. "I do have one more question. I can't speak for everyone here, but I have spent the last few years making a point of not making too big of an impression. I don't like drawing a lot of attention to myself. I guess I'm asking... How did you hear about us? How did you know where to find us? You said you've sent other groups in there already, but why us?"
Lofwyr Hawkesong
 player, 6 posts
 Nano
 Ports and Plugs
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 01:51
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
"Right. So. Expendable people no one knows about. Guess that makes sense. Guess we are also cheaper sells than any big named heroes." Lofwyr has always muttered outloud when thinking things through.

The whole ride the salvager had been delighted with the various things. The city and its staff. The vehicle. The giant's bio-friend-mask-thing. It was all he could do to prevent himself from running at one of the constructs and trying to see if its bio-mechanical or just created like that.

So much data its almost overwhelming. That might be a reason for the muttering.

The questions Dexil put to the group were good ones, ones that he happened to be curious about himself. At least when he tore himself away from attempting to dissect the guardian creatures with his eyes alone.
The Strange
 GM, 36 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 21:06
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
With a sigh, the Baron closes his eyes for a brief moment. However, before he can immediately respond, the Cardinal speaks in unaccented Truth, a language understood by all here except Jaeda, “(All legendary heroes begin as no one.)” She then slips back into common before continuing, “As I stated, this is standard procedure. It is simply the most equitable way to do this sort of business. You get a chance to make names for yourself, as well as do work for the Order, expand our knowledge and trove of artifacts, line your own pockets, and yes, we save the shins.”

The Baron clears his throat then, and looks to Dexil, lifting a single digit, “No humans appear to live there, although we have not ruled out the possibility of an abhuman presence, and there are definitely some automata and creatures who have either moved in, or were there before it appeared to us. The area of the city is expansive, and we've not had much in the way of reports back from the teams there. Yet. They will likely know more, if and when you get there yourselves,” He then lifts a second finger, “As to what this city is, why it suddenly appeared there, or what it is called? No. Neither our records, the records of the Order, or any information we've uncovered here in Labaryth, gives us a clue as to its origin or purpose. Such is the standard in our world, however. Those who came from the Before left these mysteries for us.”

The Cardinal then speaks up again, as the Baron looks to her. “The form of a Pyramid, per our studies, should have some significance in and of itself. It is a form that seems to repeat itself consistently throughout the detritus of all the prior Worlds. As such, it will obviously contain within it some sort of discovery that will either deepen the Mysteries, or reveal more Truth. Thus, we wish access to it.”

Lastly, she looks to Taelan, “Ancuan and the Order have no interest in the petty revenges of a minor noble from Malvich. Their reach does not exceed their Kingdom, and Yorvich in Neverlost would never let a minor squabble upset the peace and cross his borders. He has enough to deal with in the Bandit King, and the Order's assistance there also grants you safe passage, so long as you work for us.”

She pauses, hands “As to why we know you, and asked for you... this is more involved there than can be easily explained. Daesa and Lofwyr can explain more about the Datasphere to you all as time permits, at a later time, I am sure. When we attempted to query the Datasphere about the new city, there was very little we could get, other than scattered references to a glyph we believe to represent mothers, motherhood, or something similar. When we pressed on that, we got you. Specifically, thirty-seven of you, although to date, only twenty-two have answered the summons. We were given your faces, your names, your location, and another glyph: Father. The Datasphere knows us all, we breathe it in and live it... so it can find us, when it wants to.”

(OOC: More coming)
The Strange
 GM, 37 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 22:04
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Once the Cardinal completes the last explanation, the Baron gestures to one of the servants standing near the door. A moment later, ten servants walk in, each carrying a small box, which they place in a row on the desk. A cypher is seen in each one, kept apart from the others by the borders of the box. “To sweeten the offer, then. You may each choose from these as you wish, and if you've reached your personal limit, we will definitely find use for any you choose to replace.”

He then smiles, “So again I'll ask: Interested?”


[OOC]

Our initiative roll will now determine the order in which each of you may choose to take a cypher from the table and replace one of your own with it.

The order is as follows:
  • Jaeda: 32
  • Daesa: 16
  • Dexil: 15
  • Lofwyr: 14
  • Taelan: 13

You will not have time during this part of the encounter to identify it (usually takes about an hour per attempt), but there will be sufficient time during the trip to the pyramid for us to assume an automatic success on the identify roll later, so once we are done, I will give you each the details of the cypher chosen. You do not HAVE to trade a cypher should you choose to hold on to the ones you have. If you do choose one, or more, to swap, please provide in the OOC comments which number you are going for. In your IC post, describe the cypher you are replacing it with. I will update the list below accordingly.

Taelan: For your Critical Failure, the intrusion being forced upon you is you need to roll 1d10 (this will not mirror the order below. I have set an alternative order for you). Due to being the last to make a decision, you are somewhat impulsive in one of your choices, and will grab the item in the slot filled at that time, be it from this list, or one that one of your compatriots have chosen. You may also swap your other cypher should you choose, but you MUST relinquish one of your cyphers for a blind swap in this exercise.

The objects on display:

  1. A thin strip of orange synth, with a nearly-clear stripe running lengthwise through the center. It appears to be designed to wear over the eyes.
  2. A rusted metal ring with unfamiliar symbols etched across the entire surface. Meant to be worn on a finger. Taken by Jaeda
    • A small vial filled with moving, shifting metal shavings.

  3. A single glass lens, surrounded with what looks like a golden border just the right size to be placed over one eye. The outer surface is covered in small bumps.
  4. A leather strap with a complex-looking launching device, looks to be wrist-mounted. Taken by Lofwyr
    • A canister full of liquid with a Large, bulbous eye within. The eye ends in a six-inch stalk.

  5. A small, insectoid clasp of metal design, with movable 'claws' that look like they could be attached to the pommel of a weapon. Taken by Taelan
    • A triangular, black stone.

  6. An ornate, jeweled locket, somewhat over-sized.
  7. A brittle-looking, white synth wrist strap. A flat, green gem is attached to the center.
  8. A thin, black synth belt that buckles in the center with a complex latch system.
  9. A metal tube about the length of a forearm, and about 3 inches in diameter. Appears hollow.
  10. Black, synth gloves. The palms pulse with mild traces of green light in obscure but ordered patterns. Taken by Daesa
    • A glass cube, with swirling grey mist inside orbiting a glowing core.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:13, Tue 02 Aug 2016.

Jaeda Swiftsteel
 player, 15 posts
 Glaive
 Intense Training
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 23:21
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Jaeda had been listening intently. But she nods.

"Yes," she says simply. "I'll do it."

Mysteries, after all, call her as nothing else does. And the money's not terrible either.

She steps up to the table, glancing up at their employers, then back at the team, before she looks down at the items on display. The ring calls to her. She picks it up, sort of looks up at them with it, then replaces it with the vial of creepy crawly liquid. She knew very well it made armor, but...she also knew she wasn't sure she could bear to let such things crawl all over her flesh.

She also had a personal and practical thing about one use items...if there was a chance she could carry around something a bit less creepy and a bit more long-term practical here, well, then she was going to take it.

Then she stepped back to let the others have their pick.
Dexil Guilan
 player, 11 posts
 Jack
 School of Hard Knocks
Mon 25 Jul 2016
at 09:27
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
To the answers of the Baron and Cardinal Dexil nodded in acknowledgment of the information. It made sense, though it was curious as to why they'd been chosen; it was the will of the spirits from the prior ages and not through choice of the Order per se.

Dexil glanced at the offered Cyphers, all curious, but chose none. His mind was busy contemplating the mysterious city and the automata mentioned to be found within. Native or similarly exploring from elsewhere ....

"Thank you Baron, and Cardinal, I'm most interested. When can we begin?"
Daesa Lightspire
 player, 10 posts
 Nano
 Psionic
Thu 28 Jul 2016
at 01:45
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
While it does indeed sound as if they are expendable, this at least sounds better than what her original plan was going to be for the rest of her life.  Daesa figures that if she dies out there in search of knowledge, someone will at least consider her heroic and that'll just have to be enough.

Hearing that Lofwyr also knows about the datasphere, she looks a bit excited, but doesn't word vomit at curious man.  Instead she nods her head to the Baron and the Cardinal.

"I will do ask you have asked, and I hope I do not disappoint."  She says brightly.

However it takes her a second to figure out which cypher she wants, and lingers over several of them before she finally settles on the Black Gloves.  In place of it she leaves a glass cube before she walks away and waits for everyone else to have their turn.
Lofwyr Hawkesong
 player, 7 posts
 Nano
 Ports and Plugs
Sat 30 Jul 2016
at 05:16
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
"Of course I accept!" The scavanger repliee with a grin. "I mean you can't keep me away from this sort of place with a stick! Its full of things I havn't seen or looked at or dismantled or..." The man pausee a long moment. "...er. Yes. Accepted. Your grace. Your magnificence. Sir. Boss...guy...guys..."

He rambled on to a stop slowly as the Cyphers were trotted out for inspection.

His full concentration fell on those pretty little items as they glittered before him, one hand itching to snatch them all up at once. He resisted however, instead fishing something out of one of his own robes first.

"Can't have too many of a good thing now can you?" His words came with a bright grin as he set on the table a little cylinder with what...looked like an eyestalk in it.

"I call him Bob." His reply serious. "But looks like he'll have to stay here if I want...this."

His hand moved quick as a snake towards the little wrist launcher. Its techy and awesome you know.

"So." A silence filled the air after his words as he became slightly distracted with his new toy. "...when do we leave?"
Taelan Faswell
 player, 12 posts
 Jack
 Fugitive
Sat 30 Jul 2016
at 16:25
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
Taelan looks between the Cardinal and the Baron, still not entirely sure how he feels about the whole situation. He seemed pleased at the promise of safe passage, even if it meant being tied solely to The Order for a while. But the selection process bothered him a bit. By the description there was something more to it than just random selection. While on the surface it seemed like they were just expendable nothings, they had been selected for a very specific reason. The main problem was nobody seemed to know what that reason was.

He was a little distracted as the items were presented, his mind wandering as he pondered this little mind puzzle for a moment. A small part of him wanted to turn down the offer, but his curiosity coupled with what he could seek to gain from this job outweighed his doubts.

He stood slowly and nodded, walking towards the cyphers. "It seems I would be foolish to decline at this point. I'm in." He quickly glanced through the offered items and walked to the first one that caught his eye. Reaching inside one of his coat's many pockets he pulls out a small, black stone in the shape of a pyramid. He looks at it for a second before tossing it lightly in the air and catching it again, nodding again before grabbing the small insectoid clasp, setting the black stone in it's place.

He glances between the members of the newly assembled team before turning back to their benefactors. "So, what do we do from here?"
The Strange
 GM, 38 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 23:17
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
At each agreement, the Baron's tiny smile widens. After Taelan's choice, he nods again to the servants, to take the remaining cyphers away, as he continues. "Very good. You must be tired. You are welcome to take your leave, and rest up before your journey. You have four days on the road ahead of you, and while we have arranged easy transit for you, I would suggest you take the time to recover and ready yourselves. Our captain of the guard will meet you at the city once you arrive, to further brief you about the state of things."

And with that, the five of you are dismissed. The original priests walk you out of the tower, back to the transport, which is still there waiting for you. Once back at the inn, food and drink is provided, as it entertainment by means of a rather gifted group of musicians.

<Fade>
The Strange
 GM, 40 posts
 Many faces
 all the same.
Tue 2 Aug 2016
at 23:31
[IC] Episode 001: Entering Labaryth
[OOC: This episode is complete. Everyone gets 1 XP. Check for new threads!]