On Stranger Tides.   Posted by Dread Pirate Robert.Group: 0
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 78 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 15:30
Re: All Ashore
"I suppose it would not be unwise for me to join you ashore. Perhaps I can be of service, or at least help to keep things interesting."

Vasily climbs down as well.
Detlef Peukert
 player, 29 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 16:20
Re: All Ashore
Detlef waits for one of the sailors to get on the dingy as well to row them to shore and take the dingy back. He shrugs his shoulders at Valentino. “I have passed by here before during my travels very briefly. I don’t know it all that well, but most fishing villages are the same in any country.”

Detlef nodded in appreciation at Vasily. “Your presence is always welcome and more eyes would assist us in finding what we are looking for. Are there any questions either of you think we should ask first of the locals to try and find our quarry?”

Once they reached dry land, he would let out a sigh and pick up some dirt. He would rub the dirt between his hands and start walking to the nearest pub or any official looking office.
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 79 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 29 Apr 2019
at 16:30
Re: All Ashore
"I suppose we could ask if anyone has come ashore from a ship, other than us, obviously, in the past week or so. Given that they do not have a normal port, I would imagine not that many ships stop here."
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 32 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Wed 1 May 2019
at 05:14
Re: All Ashore
"Well, then, since you are from this country, Detlef, you could tell folks you are looking for a cousin who moved here," Valentino suggested.

"It would explain why we are here. At the same time, that could easily be the reason the other ship stopped here... same as you, Detlef... visiting home."

"In any case, unless a ship is on a schedule, any opportunity to stop for fresh water and supplies is taken."

"Also, didn't I hear that Gottkirchen craftsmen are skilled scrimshaw carvers? Another reason to stop here, yet still not sufficient reason to create a port. I believe these days it is called a 'cottage industry'."

Detlef Peukert
 player, 30 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Wed 1 May 2019
at 12:35
Re: All Ashore
Detlef nodded. “I like it. So may I ask what is the name of the person and ship that we are looking for when we ask people questions. How long do you want to look around here?”He readjusts his zweihander and looks to see where the nearest pub is.
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 33 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Wed 1 May 2019
at 22:39
Re: All Ashore
"His name is Prad. As far as we know, he's just an able-bodied seaman," Valentino answered.

"We still don't know how he came by the Black Pearl... if it is the Black Pearl and not just another ordinary black pearl. The reported size is what made people think it was the Black Pearl."

"Well, there's probably not a harbormaster, so we start at the pubs frequented by the fishers."

Detlef Peukert
 player, 31 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Thu 9 May 2019
at 15:58
Re: All Ashore
“Alright then. Follow me.” Detlef walked confidently towards the closest pub and opens the door for the other two to enter.
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 80 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Thu 9 May 2019
at 18:04
Re: All Ashore
Vasily follows along towards the pub. Being from the inland, he did not know that much about coastal villages or fishermen.

"Master Peukert; you have been to many such villages, yes? What are the people like in such places?"
Detlef Peukert
 player, 32 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Thu 9 May 2019
at 18:46
Re: All Ashore
As they walked, Detlef glanced over his shoulder. “Simple folk. They keep to themselves mostly and most days are routine for them. However, small villages usually mean that everyone knows everything about everyone. Strangers are picked out of a crowd very easily. You’ll most likely find the one or two that will talk to us.”
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 81 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Thu 9 May 2019
at 20:12
Re: All Ashore
"Hmm, much like villages in the mountains or deep in the woods. Complacent and superstitious. It is too bad that it leaves them so vulnerable to those they believe they can trust for one reason or another."
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 177 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 7
Sat 25 May 2019
at 03:56
Re: All Ashore
It's not a big town by any means, and you spot two pubs along the street facing the sea. One is pretty much in the center and the other is down at the end of the street into town. However, there are probably a few more on the other streets.

The central is probably frequented mostly by fishermen. Based on the sign, it's probably The Red Fish pub.

Entering the pub, you draw the attention of the dozen occupants. Some not at first, but they look up eventually as others don't recognize you.

It's a typical pub... a row of tables and chairs down the left side and the bar with stools down the right side.
Detlef Peukert
 player, 33 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Sat 25 May 2019
at 13:33
Re: All Ashore
Detlef walls right up to the bar and plops down. His sword jingling slightly off his armor. “I’ll take an ale.”He looks at his companions and motions to join him at the bar. The soldier scans the room to see if anyone looks nervous or tries to get up as leave.
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 82 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Thu 30 May 2019
at 18:28
Re: All Ashore
Vasily sits at the bar, as the implied instructions indicate. He smiles at the bartender and asks: "Do you, by any chance, have any Vodka?"
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 34 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Sat 1 Jun 2019
at 16:29
Re: All Ashore
Valentino hesitates outside the door for minute as he takes a quick scan of the street, paying particular attention to the layout of buildings and side streets. While he doesn't expect any trouble, it never hurts to take precautions.

Then he enters and joins Detlef and Vasily at the bar.

"I'll have an ale, too," he says to the bartender, then turns around and leans against the bar as he surveys the room. He lets a little smile touch his face as he tries to decide if any of the other patrons might be likely to talk to them. Or attack them.
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 179 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 7
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 09:59
Re: All Ashore
The bartender does, indeed, have vodka.

"I've had this bottle for several years now," he tells Vasily as he pulls a dust-covered bottle out from under the bar.

"Does it go bad?" he asks before opening it.

"I don't get much call for it around here. In fact, you're the first person to ask for it in... well, ever!"
Detlef Peukert
 player, 34 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 14:16
Re: All Ashore
Detlef slides a few marks the bartender’s way. “Makes sense that the bottle hasn’t been opened in a long time. Fishing villages like this don’t seem to get very many foreigners and if you do the whole town knows it. Speaking of which, you wouldn’t happen to know about any other foreigners that have been around lately besides us would you?”

He looks at the other two. “See any familiar faces?”
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 83 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 16:26
Re: All Ashore
"Ah, that is one of the beauties of vodka; it never goes bad!" Vasily smiles, then, at Detlef's question, looks around carefully to see if he recognizes anyone.
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 180 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 7
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 07:25
Re: All Ashore
Vasily doesn't see anyone that he recognizes. People don't travel that much unless they are going off to war.

"Oh, we get a foreigner come through here at least once a week," the bartender replies. "Some are on that walkabout craze, some are looking for a homestead, and some are just going from one town to another with Gottkirchen in between."

"Without a harbor, few ships stop by here. We saw one go by two days ago. It dropped sails for a spell and we thought maybe some of the crew might come ashore, but they never did."

Detlef Peukert
 player, 35 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Thu 20 Jun 2019
at 17:05
Re: All Ashore
Detlef scratches his chin. “My my that does sound very peculiar. Perhaps they just needed to lay anchor long enough to do some repairs in a calm spot of the sea. Who knows. Would you perhaps be able to describe this ship? If we run across them, we could see if they need any help.” He looks to the two others for any sign of recognition if the man described the ship.
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 181 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 7
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 23:20
Re: All Ashore
"Perhaps. It was a pinnace... three-master, level deck," the bartender answers. "The aft sail was green."

"The name of the ship was the Sea Rover."

Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 84 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 15:41
Re: All Ashore
OOC: I honestly can't remember what ship we're looking for, much less what it looks like.

"Well, let's all hope they've only had smooth sailing, but I guess we should probably be on our way as soon as the Captain believes the tide is right!"
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 35 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 20:09
Re: All Ashore
"The sailor we are looking for is named Prad. He sailed from Wandesburrow on the Iphigenia," Valentino informs the others to let them know that the ship that was anchored here is not the one they are looking for.

"If no one came ashore, then that settles that."

"Oh, he did have a tattoo on his arm... an anchor with a snake around the anchor."

"Our concern is that he changed ships."

"We aren't looking for that pirate ship that sank the Southern Wind... at least, not at this time."

Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 85 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 16:03
Re: All Ashore
"Perhaps we should make haste back to the ship and let the captain know we'd like to make way as soon as the weather and tides allow, then?"
Detlef Peukert
 player, 36 posts
 Eisen
 Demon Cursed Duelist
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 16:45
Re: All Ashore
Detlef nods in agreement. “Hopefully we don’t need to result while we’re here. Let’s make haste while the tide may still be on our side.”

He nods to the bartender. “Thank you very much. Please excuse us.”

He then gets up with his payment on the table and starts to head out the door.
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 36 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Fri 12 Jul 2019
at 17:47
Re: All Ashore
"Definitely," Valentino agreed with the others.

"We're not even really looking for the ship, but we had to make sure the sailor didn't disembark here for whatever reason. Doesn't look like he did, so it's back to sea we go."


He leads the other back to the beach to their boat, and soon has them rowing back out to the ship.

"Now, where to next--that is the question?" he says once they are back on the ship and the ship gets underway again.