On Stranger Tides.   Posted by Dread Pirate Robert.Group: 0
Fiora Ambrogia
 player, 68 posts
 Sophia's Daughter Strega
Wed 4 May 2022
at 21:49
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Fiora spends a while examining Alessandra's fate, fingers plucking at the air to test the tension on the lines she can see, searching out whatever changes she might be able to find.  She hadn't examined Alessandra's fate all that closely before, and when the woman grabbed the pearl she was more focused on pulling her away if things went obviously wrong, so she wasn't watching for something subtle.  But her eyes are keen and she knows her craft.
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 94 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Wed 4 May 2022
at 21:54
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Although they'd just agreed to investigate where the stairs down led, Vasily walked off into the big room.

Well, they weren't under any time pressure--that he knew of--so he followed along, leaving Anders to continue wrangling Prad.

Approaching the pedestal with the cube standing on one corner, he heard Vasily's comment... apparently to himself.

"Maybe there's something holding it up like that? Obviously, something invisible," he answered. "I've not seen any elephants in person, so I can't say if those are the right size. Maybe one of the extinct woolly mammoths?"
Alessandra Castillo
 player, 66 posts
 A lady, then a pirate.
Sat 7 May 2022
at 22:10
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Alessandra decides to head over to the other side, just to see what is there.
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 212 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 9 May 2022
at 15:52
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"It could be, I suppose. If so, then that would seem to be even more suggestive of some sort of collection of elements of the natural world. That sort of implies that whoever put them here expected at least some people to visit and examine them, especially since they are erected as a sort of display."
Anders Mendelsson
 player, 52 posts
 Vesten
Sun 15 May 2022
at 02:22
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Not wanting anyone to wander off on their own, Anders decides to follow Alessandra, dragging a nearly-zombie Prad along with him.

He figured Fiora was close enough to Vasily and Valentino to not be 'alone', and she'd probably follow them anyway.

"I don't think you should go wandering off on your own like that," he says when he catches up to Alessandra. "Or is something pulling you over here because you held the Black Pearl in your hand?"

He keeps watch on the area ahead, unsure of what might be there.
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 95 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Sun 15 May 2022
at 02:30
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"We're interpreting this from our cultural point of view," Valentino responds to Vasily. "While it may well be that the Syrne think just like we do, we don't have a point of reference to make that statement. Their thinking could be so foreign as to be incomprehensible to us."

"On the other hand, without any other input, it's just as reasonable to treat it like what we think it is."

"However, that doesn't mean there might not be a consequence for touching or removing these things."


He glances back at the others for a moment and only sees Fiora... but then he glimpses Alessandra, Anders and Prad apparently heading for the other side to see if there's a second alcove. His glance back, however, takes in the amphitheater seating... and a new thought pops into his head.

"I think this might have been some sort of academy," he suggests. "For what I can't say, but it looks like these items might have been used to demonstrate or teach something to whoever sat in those seats."
Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 213 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Sun 15 May 2022
at 15:29
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"Ah, yes, I think that seems likely to be a reasonable read of this situation. Perhaps we should go have a seat, as if we were the students being taught? There may be something interesting or unique when viewed from that angle or soemthing?" Vasily gestures towards the seating and starts heading that way.
Alessandra Castillo
 player, 67 posts
 A lady, then a pirate.
Sat 21 May 2022
at 22:17
Re: Inside the Cathedral
In reply to Anders Mendelsson (msg # 673):

Alessandra shrugs."I do not feel any pull. I simply wish to see what is over there."
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 268 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 5
Tue 24 May 2022
at 13:34
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Upon reaching the other side, Alessandra, Anders and Prad (who seems to be getting a bit more alert) find another niche in the same location as the other side. There are the same little indentations that could hold a pearl, but they are all empty.

A search of the area does not reveal any hiding places, secret compartments or secret doors.

The number of indentations is both puzzling and a bit frightening if each of them could recharge a different pearl.
Alessandra Castillo
 player, 68 posts
 A lady, then a pirate.
Sat 4 Jun 2022
at 21:56
Re: Inside the Cathedral
In reply to Dread Pirate Robert (msg # 677):

"I wonder what each pearl did." Alessandra wonders out loud.
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 269 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 5
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 17:57
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Vasily, Valentino, and Fiora moved over to the amphitheater's lowest tier of seats, sat down and waited. Nothing happened, and after waiting for several minutes, it did not seem as if anything would.
Fiora Ambrogia
 player, 69 posts
 Sophia's Daughter Strega
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 18:09
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"Perhaps it's just a stage?  The Syrneth may have had plays as we do, but without living actors a stage is just a stage."  Fiora speculates.  "Maybe they have some manuscripts in the back, if we could even recognize them for what they are."

[OOC: Still waiting for a GM response to examining Alessandra's fate in post 669 above.  I guess you just missed it.]
Anders Mendelsson
 player, 53 posts
 Vesten
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 18:27
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"That's an interesting thought, Alessandra," Anders said. "I guess I was thinking that they all did the same thing. That seemed like a reasonable assumption since we don't really know what the one we have does, and tales have claimed a lot of different things about it."

"But if each one had a different purpose, it could have a different power to make that happen."

"I keep thinking how mind-boggling more than one would be, but when you put it your way, maybe to the Syrne, the pearls were no different than, say, a blade weapon is to us--just a tool, with different designs for different purposes."

Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 270 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 5
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 18:39
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Fiora definitely detects a tenuous strand that now connects Alessandra to the Black Pearl. It's faint... more like there's potential there that has yet to be realized. It's possible that she 'stole' Prad's strand by grabbing the pearl.

Fiora also realizes that the strand seems to be getting stronger as the Black Pearl recharges, though it's not really very much.
Valentino Iocovelli
 player, 96 posts
 Vodacce Nobleman
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 18:44
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"I was just thinking something similar," Valentino responds to Fiora.

"Nothing's going to happen because there's no longer anyone here to perform... or, more likely, demonstrate. If this was something like a classroom, an instructor would bring one of the items forward and explain it to the class or demonstrate its proper use."
Prad
 NPC, 2 posts
 Sailor
Sun 12 Jun 2022
at 18:50
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Over on the side, Prad starts glancing around with a confused look on his face.

"Where am I?" he asks. "Who are you?"

He clearly directs this last question to Anders... and maybe Alessandra. Being a sailor, he's not used to asking questions of women or getting an answer.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:39, Mon 13 June.

Vasily Pavlychenko
 player, 214 posts
 Ussuran Sorcerer/Duelist
 HP: 0
Mon 13 Jun 2022
at 16:20
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"Well, perhaps. Should we try to imitate that? Could you try to explain one of these displays while I sit here and listen? I would imagine if there are any special properties of this location, it should become obvious relatively quickly, right?"
Fiora Ambrogia
 player, 70 posts
 Sophia's Daughter Strega
Mon 13 Jun 2022
at 17:14
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Standing up and turning to face Prad, Fiora smiles gently.  "Your mind is returning, good.  You touched something you should not have, and it stole your body.  It released you a few minutes ago, so it's good to see you recovering quickly."  Striding over toward him, she extends a hand palm down with fingers lightly curled.  "Fiora Ambrogia."
Prad
 NPC, 3 posts
 Sailor
Mon 13 Jun 2022
at 17:50
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"Hello. I'm Prad," he responds. "Oh, right... the black pearl. That was it, wasn't it? It felt strange when I first touched it. I remember trying to sell it... and that's the last thing I remember."

He glances around again, noting the strange architecture.

"Where are we?" he repeats.
Anders Mendelsson
 player, 54 posts
 Vesten
Mon 13 Jun 2022
at 18:00
Re: Inside the Cathedral
"Anders Mendelsson," Anders says when Prad's attention finally turns to him.

He was relieved to not have to keep an eye on Prad any more. Well, not lead him around at any rate. He still planned on keeping an eye on him, though--there was no telling what long-term effects the pearl may have had on him.

"Yes, it was the Black Pearl. It drew you here. We believe this is an ancient Syrne site, though we aren't sure just what its purpose was. You wouldn't happen to have any insights into that, would you?"

He figured it didn't hurt to ask. There might have been some information unintentionally imparted by the pearl.
Fiora Ambrogia
 player, 71 posts
 Sophia's Daughter Strega
Mon 13 Jun 2022
at 18:46
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Fiora raises an eyebrow at Prad's manners, or lack thereof, but it's forgivable under the circumstances.  He does still look pretty out of it.  Withdrawing her hand, she steps over closer to the stage.  Vasily's idea has merit, and while she might not understand the exhibits, she can theorize aloud about the one that has no fate at all.  At least, once Prad's had a chance to get his bearings.  If the stage does something interesting, now might not be the time for that.
Dread Pirate Robert
 GM, 271 posts
 Master of Fate
 Danger Pool: 5
Wed 15 Jun 2022
at 05:55
Re: Inside the Cathedral
One of us is confused.

I had Prad, Anders, and Alessandra over at the second recharging station.

And I had Fiora, Vasily and Valentino on the seats in the amphitheater.

So Fiora wouldn't be close enough to have a conversation with Prad without moving over to join them.
Fiora Ambrogia
 player, 72 posts
 Sophia's Daughter Strega
Wed 15 Jun 2022
at 06:16
Re: Inside the Cathedral
Dread Pirate Robert:
One of us is confused.

I had Prad, Anders, and Alessandra over at the second recharging station.

And I had Fiora, Vasily and Valentino on the seats in the amphitheater.

So Fiora wouldn't be close enough to have a conversation with Prad without moving over to join them.

I thought Alessandra had moved over to the amphitheatre.  Fiora was near her because she was inspecting what happened to her fate after touching the pearl.  So there'd be no need to stand up before extending a hand to Prad, but moving over toward the amphitheatre afterwards still works fine.  I think.
Alessandra Castillo
 player, 69 posts
 A lady, then a pirate.
Sat 18 Jun 2022
at 22:02
Re: Inside the Cathedral
In reply to Anders Mendelsson (msg # 681):

Alessandra nods. It is a interesting thing to think about.
Alessandra Castillo
 player, 70 posts
 A lady, then a pirate.
Sat 18 Jun 2022
at 22:04
Re: Inside the Cathedral
In reply to Prad (msg # 684):

Alessandra wondered what had happened to him.

Ooc:Yeah, Alessandra moved away.