What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men.   Posted by The Darkness.Group: 0
The Darkness
 GM, 551 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 04:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Before you runs a small, unlit hallway with six open doorways, three on each side.  At the end of the hallway, you can see the wall turns to the right.  The only illumination you find comes from each of the doorways, most probably pollution from the various floodlights throughout the camp.  The floor is littered with debris and abandoned office furniture; the dust hangs thickly and clearly has not been disturbed in some time.
Sam Damon
 player, 216 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 09:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Hmm. Looks like this area is unused. Sam prowls down to the end of the hallway, just glancing through each doorway as he passes it.
The Darkness
 GM, 553 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 14:37
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Each of the doorways promptly open into what were once small offices.  Desks, chairs, and file cabinets lay strewn about, many broken, rusted and heaped in time's dust.  As you reach the end of the hallway, another doorway sits closed.
Sam Damon
 player, 218 posts
Wed 14 Feb 2018
at 18:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Is this round the corner? (You said it turned right at the end.)

Best try the handle, then.
The Darkness
 GM, 555 posts
Thu 15 Feb 2018
at 16:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Yes, it was around the corner at the end of the hall, sorry for not mentioning that detail.

Sam grabs the handle and slowly moves it.  Much to his surprise, it gives way freely and the door begins to swing inward.  No lighting appears to exist beyond but from what illumination floods in from the hallway he can clearly see a stairwell running both up and down.
Sam Damon
 player, 219 posts
Thu 15 Feb 2018
at 16:55
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam smiles, and starts to go down... stealthily.
The Darkness
 GM, 557 posts
Thu 15 Feb 2018
at 17:49
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
While some light trickles through from the doorway, once you release the door it begins to swing closed, enveloping the stairwell in black.  You do notice, though, that the dust is much less thick, as if it had been used.  Not immediately, mind you, but certainly more recent than the hallway you were just in.
Sam Damon
 player, 220 posts
Fri 16 Feb 2018
at 08:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Continue descending more by feel, then, step by step, fingers running along the wall (or handrail if there is one).
The Darkness
 GM, 558 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 14:39
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As expected, the stairwell remains a square shaped structure and movement is rather easy; steps and handrails all feel to be in there proper place.  As you reach the next platform down, before you find the next set of steps, you come across another door.  This one, however, has no give whatsoever.  The lock must have been secured as the handle turns freely but the door gives not an inch.
Sam Damon
 player, 221 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 14:43
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Continue descending, then.

Remind me, which floor of the building is the hospital ward/gaol on?
The Darkness
 GM, 560 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 14:54
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
You're pretty certain you started on what would have been the third floor.

Feeling your way down to the next floor, you find the door is much the same as the previous.
Sam Damon
 player, 222 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 15:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Grope around a bit, do the stairs stop here or do they go further down?

Oh, and do you use ground floor, first floor... or first floor, second floor...? Can get confusing :)
The Darkness
 GM, 561 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 17:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Ah yes, understandable.  I usually refer to the 1st floor as the ground level so by now you should have reach the bottom or ground floor (1st) yet your continued groping in the dark has revealed that this staircase continues to descend.
Sam Damon
 player, 223 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 17:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OK, just as long as we are on the same page. West Lancashire College uses 1, 2, 3... but Aston University uses Ground, 1, 2... :)

Might as well grope a bit further whilst I'm here. Any light switches?
The Darkness
 GM, 562 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 17:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Descending further you reach yet another landing but this one possesses no door as with the previous levels.  While you are still unable to find any sort of light switches you do find that yet another level of stairs continues downward.  You can almost swear, as well, that you see some sort of faint light coming from further below.
Sam Damon
 player, 224 posts
Sat 17 Feb 2018
at 18:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Onwards and... downwards, then. Rub eyes. They're probably playing tricks on me.
The Darkness
 GM, 563 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 13:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Moving downward along the wall, you're almost convinced that you are indeed seeing a light.  As you reach the landing, you find the source of the illumination.  Yet another door sits against the wall but this one was never shut properly.  The light is filtering through from a tiny slit where the door rests against the frame.  Testing the handle you find the door was actually locked, but never shut properly.  With the diminished lighting you can clearly see you have reached the last floor as no further steps remain downward.
Sam Damon
 player, 225 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 15:03
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
In classic D&D style, Sam listens at the door!

(Well, he played D&D at West Point...)
The Darkness
 GM, 564 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 15:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: lol you've now mentioned two schools in the U.K. and one here in the states, you've been around a tad

You can hear some distant humming of possibly mechanical origin as well as occasional hissing and the sound of dripping water.
Sam Damon
 player, 226 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 15:56
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: Sam went to West Point, I (his player) have taught at the UK schools...

Thinking this sounded like a typical basement full of furnaces, air handling and the like - generally visited only when there are problems - Sam attempts to 'bounce' the door open.
The Darkness
 GM, 565 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 16:20
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: Ah yes, I see, point taken.  Not that such travels are impossible :D

As the door swings open, a pale, sickly light crashes into your eyes.  For a few moments, you are blind but the adjustment is quick.  Soon you find the lighting very poor, in fact.  Looking around, you find things not quite as you had expected.  You stand in a long, somewhat narrow tunnel.  Piping and wires run the length of the hall, turning at acute angles here and there disappearing into the walls and ceiling.  The humming still seems far off but the dripping and steam are much more evident.  From your current vantage point, it is impossible to tell the length of the tunnel or if any other doors exist.  The lighting, which is spotty at best, seems intermittent along the hallway and ultimately disappears in the distant blackness.
Sam Damon
 player, 227 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 17:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Promising... thought Sam, and set off along the tunnel. He frisked himself, momentarily unsure where his compass might be (it usually lived in the left breast pocket of his BDUs), as that might be useful in keeping track of his perambulations.
The Darkness
 GM, 568 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 17:31
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The tunnel, from what you can see, is rather long, easily a hundred yards (possibly further).  Walking onward the humming sound soon increases from somewhere above you but as you continue walking it once more subsides into a gentle, distant sound.  You eventually enter a section that is pitch black and visibility becomes nil.  You're pretty certain these are service tunnels for the city itself, below even the military/camp base you were at.

Unfortunately, all of your personal items were taken when you were being transported to the base.  The only things they left you were the clothes on your back and your shoes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:41, Sun 18 Feb 2018.

Sam Damon
 player, 228 posts
Sun 18 Feb 2018
at 18:43
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
This may make for an exit route... if only one could see where one was going. Sam retraces his steps checking for side passages/doors.
The Darkness
 GM, 569 posts
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 01:35
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Heading backwards into the light once more, you felt nothing that appeared to be a doorway or hatch of any kind.
Sam Damon
 player, 229 posts
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 09:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Pity. Still, there's probably something further on. Next time, bring a light source. Sam began to climb back up whence he had come.
The Darkness
 GM, 570 posts
Mon 19 Feb 2018
at 19:45
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alright, it's easy enough for you to find your way back.  Even without lighting, simple counting (and a doorknob check) allow you to find the floor you entered through.
Sam Damon
 player, 230 posts
Tue 20 Feb 2018
at 09:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Right, as the stairs also go up Sam will continue on (still counting floors) and see what is above.
The Darkness
 GM, 571 posts
Wed 21 Feb 2018
at 05:37
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Much the same as before, you trace the stairwell wall, ascending this time.  The next floor up (4) is exactly the same as the others, right down to the locked door.  The 5th and final floor, however, instead of being locked or bolted, has a chain wrapped around the handle and attached to the wall somehow.
Sam Damon
 player, 231 posts
Wed 21 Feb 2018
at 14:51
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Fiddle with the chain. Probably a padlock, and Sam never learned to pick locks, unfortunately.
The Darkness
 GM, 572 posts
Wed 21 Feb 2018
at 19:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The chain is indeed secured via a padlock appears to be attached to the railing on the nearest wall.  The chain is, however, a tad loose and you are able to open the door a small amount.  Peering out, you can see the night sky aglow from the cities varied lights.  From the looks of things, it would appear you have found an access doorway to the roof.
Sam Damon
 player, 232 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 09:18
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Neat. A bit of leverage might force it open... but it might be a bit noisy too. Sam casts around for anything to use to mechanical advantage, absent that he tries wrenching at the railings...
The Darkness
 GM, 573 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 14:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
You find nothing handy available and the railing appears rather sturdy.
Sam Damon
 player, 233 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 14:54
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Darn! Trundle back down 2 levels to where I came from. Back to the wall void spaces from the rest room next...
The Darkness
 GM, 574 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 15:15
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
quote:
Back to the wall void spaces from the rest room next...


I followed you to the original level you entered from, but that phrase has me a tad confused.
Sam Damon
 player, 234 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 15:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OK, back down to the place I entered this staircase from, yes?

My next area of investigation will be the void spaces I discovered on an earlier trip to the men's room. Obviously I shall have to emerge from here and then saunter off on a restroom visit.
The Darkness
 GM, 575 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 16:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Ahh ok, now I've got you.

Creeping slower as you near the door, you gingerly operate the latch and, thankful no audible *CLICK* reverberated outward, carefully begin pulling the door inward.  Cracking it just far enough to peer, you find the nurse has once more re-positioned herself only a few feet in front of you (although her back is facing you).  You can just make out the old gentleman at the end of the hallway chatting up the two guards.
Sam Damon
 player, 235 posts
Thu 22 Feb 2018
at 16:45
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Um, this sounds like a time to stay quiet as a mouse until she moves away again...
Sam Damon
 player, 253 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2018
at 15:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Amidst the chaos I've caused...

Sam ushers his small party through the door and pulls it closed behind them.

"Alison, do you need to be carried or could you lurch along with a bit of help?"
Alison Foster
 player, 265 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 10:44
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison spoke in a whisper, "I can walk with help."
Charles Mallory
 player, 87 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 12:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I'll help the lady. You take lead since you have been in here before." Charles moves to help Allison offering a shoulder and arm to support her as they decend the steps. Carrying her if need be.
Sam Damon
 player, 254 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 12:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Great. This way. There are stairs leading down at the end. They go up as well, but you're still in the compound."

Sam led the way to the stairs and looked both ways before leading them down.

"We're on the middle floor of a five-story building."
Alison Foster
 player, 266 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 27 Apr 2018
at 13:35
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison thanked the older man and took the stairs carefully.
The Darkness
 GM, 592 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2018
at 13:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
With both haste and caution, you make your way down the staircase.  A few times one of you stumbled or tripped but with the group hovering on top of each other, none of you actually fall or collapse.  Upon reaching the bottom floor you feel your way towards the heavy metal door...
quote:
As the door swings open, a pale, sickly light crashes into your eyes.  For a few moments, you are blind but the adjustment is quick.  Soon you find the lighting very poor, in fact.  Looking around, you find things not quite as you had expected.  You stand in a long, somewhat narrow tunnel.  Piping and wires run the length of the hall, turning at acute angles here and there disappearing into the walls and ceiling.  The humming still seems far off but the dripping and steam are much more evident.  From your current vantage point, it is impossible to tell the length of the tunnel or if any other doors exist.  The lighting, which is spotty at best, seems intermittent along the hallway and ultimately disappears in the distant blackness.

Sam Damon
 player, 255 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2018
at 14:08
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I didn't follow this tunnel to its conclusion," said Sam, "But by my reckoning it heads out well beyond the limits of the compound towards the main town."

He set off down the tunnel.
Charles Mallory
 player, 88 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
With Alison's arm draped over his shoulder to support her, Charles looked about "Lead on then Sam, lets put some distance between us and those soldiers before they come looking."
Sam Damon
 player, 256 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:40
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Copy that."

Sam set off through the areas he'd already explored, heading from under the base to under the town beyond...
Alison Foster
 player, 267 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 11 May 2018
at 14:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alice kept up as best she could have.
The Darkness
 GM, 593 posts
Tue 15 May 2018
at 02:38
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The tunnels appear to be just as you expected, service tunnels extending possibly for miles below the surface.  Piping and thick gauged wiring run in all directions.  Past the first few yards, the darkness becomes all encompassing, forcing you feel your way along the craggy, damp walls.  Moving slowly allows you to focus more on your hearing yet you never hear the sound of footsteps or shouts coming from anywhere behind you.  Continuing forward, you reach a section where the wall disappears from your hands.  Stumbling blindly for several moments, you finally deduce that you have simply come across a T section, allowing you to continue to either your right or left.

OOC: These tunnels can be exhaustive and go on for quite some distance.  Do you have a plan of movement or just sort of winging it through the dark?
Sam Damon
 player, 257 posts
Tue 15 May 2018
at 08:54
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The 'plan' for what it's worth is to get out from under the compound, then try to find a way to the surface.
Alison Foster
 player, 268 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 15 May 2018
at 10:51
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alice piped up, "Right, go right. Never left."
The Darkness
 GM, 594 posts
Wed 16 May 2018
at 13:56
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
It feels like an eternity as you stumble and creep through the dark and cold of the tunnel system.  Sounds of all manner, some almost completely alien, echo from distant points beyond your vision and grasp; the skitter and squeak of rats being the most pervasive.  At several points one are all of you fumble as you are tripped by unseen debris.  Making the first right, the tunnel now seems to stretch to infinity as you feel your way along for several dozen (at your best guess) yards.  The strange sounds seem to ebb and flow in volume as they echo through the blackness.  From somewhere behind you, it sounds as if a large metal object is banged but no other sound follows it, nor are you able to determine its source or proximity.  Making a second right, you are once more faced with a long, pitch-black expanse of tunnel.  At one point you manage to find a ladder leading upward but upon closer inspection you find it merely runs to a locked metal service panel.  Dismayed, you continue forward into the inky cold dampness.  As you feel your way around a third corner some hundred yards are so from the last, you finally spy a small glimmer of what may be light in the distance.
Sam Damon
 player, 258 posts
Wed 16 May 2018
at 15:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"As long as the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train..." muttered Sam.

"How are you bearing up, Alison? Do you want to rest for a couple whilst I reconnoitre?"
Alison Foster
 player, 269 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 17 May 2018
at 22:57
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison gritted her teeth, "Fine. Keep going."
Charles Mallory
 player, 89 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 01:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Well ya head the lady. Guess we push on."
Sam Damon
 player, 259 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 08:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Copy that."

Sam continued at point, heading towards the light.
The Darkness
 GM, 595 posts
Mon 21 May 2018
at 16:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Shuffling forward, the cold damp moisture that has pooled in spots splashes upward as you step through it.  Closer and closer you get towards the light and you are now certain it is indeed just that.  Drawing nearer you begin to see a single bulb in the ceiling burning brightly.  Against the wall immediately opposite the light, an old, wrought iron ladder sits imbedded in the wall.  Before you can reach it, a sudden noise pierces your ears.  For a brief second, somewhere off in the distance, an alien sound rattles through the tunnels.  It's hard to put into words what exactly you hear but it reminds you of grating metal accompanied by...an old dial-up connection?  Whatever it was, it's source and distance were impossible to peg down.
Alison Foster
 player, 270 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 22 May 2018
at 00:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison had never heard anything so horrible. It more than gave goose flesh, more than even struck fear. It was a sound that awakened something old, primal, a terror she had never known before, a horror she felt in blood and bones. "RUN!" She grabbed at the ladder and pulled the men to it. If she went first she would only slow them down. Better to go last. At least then her handicap wouldn't be a burden.

It is possible to climb a ladder with only one leg, it just takes a lot of arms. She can do it, she'll just be really slow.
Sam Damon
 player, 260 posts
Tue 22 May 2018
at 08:20
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Wonder what that was?" said Sam.

He started to climb the ladder.
The Darkness
 GM, 596 posts
Tue 22 May 2018
at 15:56
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The ladder ascends a few yards before ending at a rather solid metal door (as opposed to a storm drain hatch or manhole cover).  No lock or mechanism can be seen.
Sam Damon
 player, 261 posts
Wed 23 May 2018
at 15:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Undeterred, Sam tried giving it a shove. There was always the offchance that it wasn't locked!
The Darkness
 GM, 597 posts
Wed 23 May 2018
at 17:42
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam places his shoulder against the door and gives it a good shove, not enough to send it flying open but simply to test if it is locked or stuck and to determine how much it weighs.  Applying a small amount of pressure, he finds that the door does in fact move upward on a set of hinges.  Only opening it a few inches, an ear piercing screech of metal against metal emanates from the door as it scrapes against its frame.
Sam Damon
 player, 262 posts
Thu 24 May 2018
at 08:27
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Grinning, Sam inched it further open until he could see what lay beyond.
Charles Mallory
 player, 90 posts
Thu 24 May 2018
at 13:40
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Noting that Sam  had made progress with opening the door Charles looked to Alison, "Okay miss get ready to climb I'll be right behind you."
Alison Foster
 player, 271 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 24 May 2018
at 23:41
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison smiled but none of it. She just shook her head. "I understand and appreciate chivalry.  Now get your arse up that ladder."
The Darkness
 GM, 598 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 05:12
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Again, the horrible, shrill sound pierces your ears.  While the sound comes at you from all directions, it seems, the intensity has definitely increased.  Whatever it is, it is moving closer...
Sam Damon
 player, 263 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 08:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam slithers through the gap, with the intent of having a quick scout around before calling the others up.
Alison Foster
 player, 272 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 29 May 2018
at 11:17
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison put hands over ears and tried to keep the noise out. "Go before I put my good foot up your arse."
Charles Mallory
 player, 91 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 12:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles grunts and mumbles something about stubborn British women. Then without a word he picks Alison up over his shoulder in a fireman's carry and starts up the ladder. "Ya can kick all ya want when we get to the top. Not like my old arse hasn't been kicked before."
The Darkness
 GM, 599 posts
Wed 30 May 2018
at 16:11
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As you slide the door up enough to work your way through, a loud crash echos from the room above.  Something was sitting on top of the door and just slid off.  From your best guess, you're escape landed you in some sort of old factory or warehouse.  The floor is littered with debris and refuse and the outlines of several machines(?) can just barely be seen.  High above, you find the source of illumination as a long row of windows, some broken and some missing entirely, line the upper wall, allowing the only source of light to filter in from outside.  Once more, the screeching, metallic sound shoots through you like a cold wind as it reverberates through the dark tunnels.
Sam Damon
 player, 264 posts
Wed 30 May 2018
at 16:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Haul the door open and urge the others up. Whatever is making such a nasty noise in the corridors is probably not friendly either.

When the others are up, close the door behind them and put the box that fell off back. Then go peer out the windows to try and get oriented. Is it daylight or street lights I'm seeing?
Alison Foster
 player, 273 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 31 May 2018
at 10:52
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
When the old codger sat her down she punched him as hard as she could right in the nose. Being that the leg she got most of her power from was injured, it was a weak punch at best, but still it meant business. "If you ever put your hands on me again, I don't care who you are, I'll beat you senseless, understand?"
Charles Mallory
 player, 92 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 12:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles staggered back from the punch holding his nose, he had expected as much if not more. "Yea, Yea totally understand. If there is a next time I'll just leave ya ta try an climb out on yer own. No problem." Turning back to the door he began piling anything else he find on top.
Sam Damon
 player, 265 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 12:52
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Stop bickering, you two," ordered Ben.

"I'm trying to get orientated. Any idea what that strange noise was? Some kind of automated device, perhaps?"
The Darkness
 GM, 600 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 17:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The windows are much too high to be able to look through them.  This is an older style brick building, similar to a warehouse or factory, so the windows are located nearer to the ceiling than ground level.  It is still night out, the light shining in must be from street lights or something similar.
Sam Damon
 player, 266 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 08:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As Sam cannot see anything out the windows more than it is still night, he heads off to look for a door...
Alison Foster
 player, 274 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 00:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison hobbled along behind Sam. "Slow down, I can't keep up."
The Darkness
 GM, 601 posts
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 13:38
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The room feels almost cavernous in the bleak lighting; longer than it is wide.  Sure enough, this was definitely an abandoned factory as you come across several large pieces of machinery.  Debris lies about the floor and quite often you kick something while shuffling through the dimly lit space.  Then a tell tale sound reaches your ears.  Two metallic clicks echo in the dark...a shotgun chambering a round...followed by the distinctive sound of a rifle of some kind repeating the same action.

"Stop where you are and get your hands in the air."

It is very easy to discern where the voice came from as several lights click on you, blinding you from seeing anything.
Alison Foster
 player, 275 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 13:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison slowly turned, favoring her injured leg. "If you think I can get to you before you shoot me with my leg the way it is, go ahead and shoot. Otherwise," she shrugged, "I guess we're at an impasse because I only take orders from him." She motioned toward Sam.
Sam Damon
 player, 267 posts
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 15:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stopped still.

"OK, who are you? Is this your place? We didn't mean to disturb anybody... We'll leave if that's what you want."

Given the state of the premises, he was thinking drifters of some kind.
Charles Mallory
 player, 93 posts
Sun 3 Jun 2018
at 01:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles simply stopped and raised his hands, "Here we go again, more guns getting pointed at me."
The Darkness
 GM, 602 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2018
at 15:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Three figures step towards you from the light.  As they get closer, you can see they clearly were not with the military or any uniformed service.  Their dress was more inline with what you would expect from the indigent or perhaps homeless; layers and colors that didn't match with various makeshift patches holding the seams together.  Of the three that approached, only one held a firearm, but kept it trained upon the group.  Other voices could be heard beyond the lighting but you could not make out any details beyond male or female voices.

"I thought you were with the military at first, but you ain't got no gear or nuffin and that old man certainly isn't enlisted."

A black gentleman of no more than twenty-five years steps forward from the three and approaches you.  The voice had a decidedly lower class British accent yet carried an air of education.

"Who the hell are you and what are you doing crawling around the tunnels."

His tone is stern but not menacing.  He reaches over to his compatriot and, placing his hand upon the barrel of his rifle, gently lowers the weapon.
Sam Damon
 player, 268 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2018
at 15:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We were captured by the military and escaped through the tunnels," said Sam simply. He decided not to say anything about his profession for now.

"I'm Sam, the lady is Alison, and the other guy is Charles."
The Darkness
 GM, 603 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 13:09
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"You escaped the base?!  Through the tunnels?!  Were you followed by anyone...or anything?!"

The young man seemed to tense up as Sam spoke.  His body language, and that of his two other visible cohorts, became jittery and there was a strange worrying sound in his voice; an anxious expression in his questioning.
Charles Mallory
 player, 94 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 13:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles noticed how jumpy the bunch suddenly got, "Pretty sure no one followed us, but there was something down there making a very disturbing sound. You don't happen ta know anything about what that was by chance?"
'Fast' Eddie
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 15:03
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
A sudden hushed murmur begins to move through the group beyond the lights.  Shuffling can be heard as the lighting begins to move about some; several turn from you towards the trapdoor you entered through.

"A sound?  Like...?"

He never finished his questioned as he stares at the group, his eyes darting nervously between them and the trapdoor beyond.
Sam Damon
 player, 269 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 15:54
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We couldn't identify the sound, but it was... there, rather than coming after us," said Sam.

"What do you know about what's down there?"
Alison Foster
 player, 276 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 16:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison was frustrated with the situation. "Look, no offense, but can you stop pointing guns at us?"
'Fast' Eddie
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 13:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
His voice rises in tempo and anxiety...

"The sound! What was it?! What did it..."

His words vanish as a sudden *BANG* erupts from the trapdoor, swiftly followed by a second.  A third in rapid succession lands with such force that the door pops up slightly before slamming back down.  Panicked shouts erupt from the unknown group.  Immediately they begin to scatter as yet another *BANG* forces the door even higher; the force of the door slamming shut reverberates throughout the building.

"We need to leave...now!"

The flashlights trained upon you now turn, scattering light in all directions like a chaotic disco ball, as the group begins to run towards the far end of the building.

"Come on!", he shouts, motioning for you to follow him.
Sam Damon
 player, 270 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 14:12
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam takes Alison's hand.

"Can you run or shall I carry you?"
Alison Foster
 player, 277 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 14:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison gritted teeth, "Running is impossible."
Sam Damon
 player, 271 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 15:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Copy that."

He scooped her up and ran off after the local scavengers.
Charles Mallory
 player, 95 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 18:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles took off following Sam, making sure to keep him in sight.
The Darkness
 GM, 604 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 17:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Following the bouncing parade of flashlights, you race behind the group of unknown people that just moments before had trained firearms upon you.  In the brief moments of illumination you see not hardened soldiers or anything of the sort but men, both young and old, women, young children...all running forward with no care or concern for your groups' intentions.  The sounds of panic and fear rang out in the darkness as they reached the end of the room.  A set of double doors is thrown open and the group begins to race forward.  As you exit, that same metallic-static like sound rises from the now empty room behind you.  Braced by the solid brick walls the sound pierces your ears like an ice pick, momentarily halting the entire crowd in its tracks before the procession continued onward.  Haste and terror became the watchwords as the group broke into a frantic pace; their flashlight beams bouncing carelessly throughout the hallway they now raced down.  The sound of metal pelting and scrapping against metal rises from the ink colored ether where you had once stood.  Something was definitely in that room.  By the time the column reached a cross-way, they had succumbed to their fear and full panic mode had set in.  The group began to scatter...several race down the hallway to the left while others to the right; occasionally one or two would dart off into an adjacent room, slamming the door hard behind them.  Several more took to the stairwell, again splitting into two groups with one going up and the other down.  Glancing behind you can just make out faint, neon blue sparks(?) flashing to and fro.
Sam Damon
 player, 272 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 17:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam follows the folk that take the right turn, then stays on this level... he's looking for an exit from the building.
Alison Foster
 player, 278 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 19:25
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison can do little but be carried.
Sam Damon
 player, 273 posts
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 08:16
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Which way should we go?" Sam asked Alison.

"You navigate, I'll concentrate on the running bit."
Charles Mallory
 player, 96 posts
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 12:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles brought up the rear, keeping a watch over his shoulder "Might want to pick up the pace. No idea what the hell that is but it's still moving this way."
Alison Foster
 player, 279 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 11:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison did not know. She pointed at the down stairs, very unsure.
Sam Damon
 player, 274 posts
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 11:57
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"This is ground level. If there's something nasty below I don't want to go there... See if you can find a way out of the building..." Sam managed to get out.
Alison Foster
 player, 280 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 16:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
She shook her head. He would have to do that. Her opinion was to go down.
The Darkness
 GM, 605 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2018
at 17:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Seems we have a stalemate...
Sam Damon
 player, 276 posts
Tue 19 Jun 2018
at 09:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As I'm doing the running bit, we're staying on the level...
The Darkness
 GM, 607 posts
Wed 20 Jun 2018
at 18:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Despite Alisons' protesting, Sam bangs a hard right down the long hallway; his boots squealing as they grab the hard linoleum.  Doors continue to slam as the terrified people race for whatever cover they can find.  From behind you, the sound begins to grow in intensity.  The light in this section was not that much better and you could soon see glowing rays of light blue dance across the walls around you.  At the end of the hallway rests a solitary door which Sam nearly shatters off its hinges as he kicks it in (the door swings inward and was still attached but the latch was blown out).  Dashing in without hesitation, you find yourselves in what appears to be yet another factory building or wing; the lighting is equally useless.
Alison Foster
 player, 282 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 12:37
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison scoffed but hung on as Sam ran with her in tow. She impressed whenhe kicked the door in. What they find is just more creepiness. "Now what Captain? Barricade?"
Charles Mallory
 player, 97 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 12:55
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles follows thru the door. Shutting it behind him and looking for anything to use to hold it shut.
Sam Damon
 player, 277 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 13:39
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Where is the way out of here?"

Sam may not be swearing but the tone of voice suggests he wants to! He's looking for any signage... there ought to be fire exit signs whatever this building was once used for...
Alison Foster
 player, 283 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 14:49
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison was a bit snide, "I don't know, down stairs?"
Sam Damon
 player, 278 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 15:16
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We're on the ground floor... going downstairs is back underground."

Sam was beginning to get a little impatient. He reminded himself not everyone was good at keeping track of their spatial location.

Damn. Now he was beginning to doubt himself.
The Darkness
 GM, 608 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 16:21
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The building/room you are now in looks extremely similar to the initial room you appeared in (through the trap door).  Most of these types of buildings had at least two doorways so it would suggest that either there is another door at the far end in the middle or at least one other doorway on one of the walls.
Sam Damon
 player, 279 posts
Fri 22 Jun 2018
at 10:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam looked around for other doorways.
The Darkness
 GM, 609 posts
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 12:45
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Racing frantically into the dark, the sounds of screams just reaching the door as it shuts.  Sam dashes back and forth through the darkness desperately searching for another doorway; several times almost colliding with abandoned machinery.  Finally you find another set of double doors as shouts and cries mingle as they creep into the room, echoing off the walls.
Sam Damon
 player, 280 posts
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 13:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
We're going through those doors... we maybe even will spare time to open them first.
Alison Foster
 player, 284 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 13:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison is along for the ride.
Charles Mallory
 player, 98 posts
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 13:43
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles followed along avoiding things as best he could as he tried to keep an eye out behind them.
The Darkness
 GM, 610 posts
Wed 27 Jun 2018
at 17:56
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam slams into the set of doors, almost using Alison as a battering ram as they collide with the solid metal.  At first, it feels as if you just ran into a wall but a split second later a deafening *CRACK* of splintering wood pierces your ears.  The force that once held the doors shut releases in a violent flurry of splinters as Sam and Alison stumble on the short staircase beyond, crashing into the hard, cold ground.  Slivers of wood lie all around you as you slowly pull yourselves up.  Turning to your side, you see the remnants of the board that apparently had been propped against the door.  A sizable chunk of the once solid 4x4 still rose at an angle from the pavement, it's jagged edges staring at you from only inches away.  Charles follows quickly behind, himself just narrowly avoiding the fall as his gaze was turned back into the building.  You are now in a dark alley of some sort surrounded by other large, brick buildings.  None of them seem to have any lighting and several appear to be crumbling; from the looks of things this is an abandoned industrial park.
Sam Damon
 player, 281 posts
Wed 27 Jun 2018
at 18:47
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Get oriented... Sam went that way from the base underground, then turned this way and that, so now is facing towards/away/it's on that side. Pick appropriate direction that's still away and carry on.

Basically SOCK-nav, if you know that technique. (Sum Of Components Known, you remember turns and approximate distances, then can tell which way to go)

This message was last edited by the player at 07:53, Thu 28 June 2018.

Alison Foster
 player, 285 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 27 Jun 2018
at 18:57
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison propped herself against the wall and nodded, "Captain was right, which is why he is the Captain. What now?"
The Darkness
 GM, 611 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2018
at 16:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
A brief glance is all it takes to determine the most immediate direction called 'the other way'.  To the right of the door you just exited, you can see the stark contrast of pitch black and glaring brightness.  The cold emptiness of the quarantined zone butts up to the almost infinite light from the base itself.  More or less, you're probably 150-200 yards off.  A tall, rusted chain link fence stands directly in front of you, facing the door, leaving a turn to the left being the only other direction open; it seems to run deeper into the complex.

You are to the south of the base camp crudely drawn on Map 4
Charles Mallory
 player, 99 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2018
at 17:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Looking around quickly "I suggest we keep moving. I wold prefer not getting a closer look at that thing inside. At least until we have some firepower." Charles heads off to the left keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings.
Sam Damon
 player, 282 posts
Fri 29 Jun 2018
at 08:03
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Yes, this way... away from the complex. How are you bearing up, Alison?"

Sam set off at a steady lope.
Alison Foster
 player, 286 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 29 Jun 2018
at 13:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
She just nodded in obvious pain.
The Darkness
 GM, 612 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2018
at 15:38
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As predicted, you run deeper into the empty, dilapidated complex.  The alleyway you are in periodically branches left and right in between different buildings in various states of decay.  Some still have windows, though most of the glass is missing.  Several appear to have been left open as their respective doors lie silently open, or are missing all together.

OOC: Any plan as to where you're headed?  Looking for something/someplace in particular?  Just running till you hit a dead end?

Sam Damon
 player, 284 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2018
at 15:44
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Listen for sounds of traffic or anything indicating where folks are at... hopefully this is just a run-down industrial zone not a completely-abandoned city.
The Darkness
 GM, 613 posts
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 14:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The sounds of city life buzz all around you as the echos of honking cars, banging metal and other erroneous noises ricochet off every empty building.  They are, however, somewhat muted, perhaps indicating they are still some distance off.  Then a loud groan breaks through the muddle as a boat horn roars and bellows from somewhere close.
Alison Foster
 player, 287 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 15:33
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded, "I can make it Captain, just point me in the direction you want to go."
The Darkness
 GM, 614 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2018
at 18:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: Sam? Charles? Did we lose you guys?
Sam Damon
 player, 285 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 08:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: No. Waiting on you...

Sam headed towards the sound of the boat horn.
The Darkness
 GM, 615 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 18:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
My apologies, I wasn't certain which direction or sound you wanted to head towards specifically.

The horn only sounds once, but it is more than loud enough to give you a good idea where it came from.  Cutting through the alleys surrounding the various buildings becomes quite the chore but, if you were being followed, it certainly would have made things very difficult for them.  Pounding the pavement harder and harder as you sprint, you finally break free from the concrete and blacktop to discover a large, broken down wooden dock.  Several piers jut out into the water with broken, rotted boards lying splintered, exposing the cold, dark water below.
Charles Mallory
 player, 100 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 18:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles skids to a halt behind the others, looking about he muttered. "Well shit, now what?" The older man was breathing pretty heavily but was surprisingly still going.
Alison Foster
 player, 288 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 26 Jul 2018
at 19:11
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison looked around. "What the hell are we running from?"
Sam Damon
 player, 286 posts
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 08:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Water courses are always good navigational aids," said Sam.

"Let's have a look around and see if we can figure out where we are. Alison, you can perch on that bollard over there and keep lookout."
Alison Foster
 player, 289 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 12:17
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded gratefully and went where Sam told her to.
The Darkness
 GM, 616 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 16:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
A large, dark river lies before you stretching up and down the length of the industrial park.  It seems to run directly through the heart of the city and, from your vantage anyway, appears to pass directly by the blackout zone.
Charles Mallory
 player, 101 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 16:41
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles looked around for any indication of where the may be but was also looking for a boat or other craft. He kept watching and listening for any sign of whatever that thing was that had been behind them.
Alison Foster
 player, 290 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 31 Jul 2018
at 19:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Still waiting for new orders
Sam Damon
 player, 287 posts
Wed 1 Aug 2018
at 10:55
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We want to get where other people are..." said Sam.

"Can either of you see a small boat? Or a riverside path we can follow to the living city?"
The Darkness
 GM, 617 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2018
at 04:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
No boats sit nearby, the closest appearing to be just across the river on the other side.  You could, if you wanted, walk along the waters edge to wherever the industrial park ends.
The Darkness
 GM, 618 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 14:12
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC:  Plans?  Ideas?  Dinner requests?
Alison Foster
 player, 291 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 14:20
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Chinese food. Cheese wontons...
Sam Damon
 player, 288 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 14:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Let's go along the water's edge to where the industrial park ends," suggested Sam.
Alison Foster
 player, 292 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 14:30
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded and limped along with Sam.
The Darkness
 GM, 619 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:31
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Keeping the river to your right, you hastily traverse whats left of the docks.  Bouncing back and forth from concrete to rotting wood, you continue onward moving away from the military camp and blackout zone.  Occasionally shouts arise from somewhere deep within the industrial park but they were simply too far or muffled to be deciphered.  Soon, off in the distance, you can make out a broken and rusted fence line stretching from the river bank off to the left and disappearing into the night.  As you get closer, using the shadows of the old factories for cover, you can clearly see a wooded expanse situated just on the other side of the fencing.  A small dirt road runs parallel with the fence line.
Sam Damon
 player, 289 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 15:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"This looks promising..."

Sam moved forwards to see how solid the fence was, or if it had a gate.
Alison Foster
 player, 293 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 12:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded, "Lets keep going."
The Darkness
 GM, 620 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The fence is still rather solid but is marked by breaks all along its length.  If you ran its length enough you could probably find a break in it big enough to squeeze through, although it certainly seemed solid enough to hold a person attempting to scale it.  No sign of a gate can be seen from your location but every fence has an entrance/exit...somewhere.
Alison Foster
 player, 294 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:25
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
If/when climbing is mentioned, Alice shakes her head, "I don't think I'll be scaling any walls today."
Sam Damon
 player, 290 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Look for/make a hole in the fence. Sam could shin over but the other two might struggle. Not worried about noise/making a mess out here.

Sam briefly regrets the loss of his multi-tool, but makes do with brute force and using stray materials to provide leverage.
The Darkness
 GM, 623 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 15:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Within seconds you manage to locate a section of fence that is pretty badly torn open.  A little force and you are able to pull it open enough for the three of you to slide through.  Just as you're beginning to make your way through the fence itself, the sounds of voices and footfalls can be heard coming from behind you (within the industrial park).  They don't sound like military or police but rather panicked, shouting sporadically as they quickly approach your general location.
Alison Foster
 player, 295 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 16:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison motioned for the guys to go through the fence. “I’ll wait here. If friends, we’ll all go trough. If not I’ll hold them off for you.”
Sam Damon
 player, 291 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 17:33
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"No, you go ahead with Charles," directed Sam.

He wasn't going to attract attention, even though he thought the voices were probably some of the squatters they'd met earlier. His aim was to follow Alison and just face into the night...
Alison Foster
 player, 296 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 19:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison growled, but did as her “CO” ordered.
The Darkness
 GM, 624 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
It takes you only a few moments to get all three of you through the fence, just as a small group of five people emerges from the shadows of the burnt out buildings.  They indeed appear to be a part of the group that you encountered only a short time ago.  Seeming to have little interest in the three of you, they make a beeline for another section of the fence and begin to scale it as quickly as possible.  If it were a lighter moment, you might laugh at the disaster that ensued as they stumbled and fell attempting to take the fence at a break neck speed.  That's when you notice a headlights beginning to appear from further down the fence and heading in your direction.  This only causes the group to scramble even harder to scale the fence.
Alison Foster
 player, 297 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:05
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison said, "We've got to try and help them."
Sam Damon
 player, 292 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We need to stay out of sight of those headlights," said Sam, but moved towards where the group were demonstrating how not to climb a fence.

"You lot might find it easier to rip a hole in the fence, I made a hole thisaway if that bit's too solid. Come on!"
Charles Mallory
 player, 103 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:44
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles looked around for a good place for the lot of them to hide. "Yea we need ta get to some cover."
The Darkness
 GM, 625 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 18:51
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Just on the other side of the fence is a worn dirt path/road and just beyond that is a treeline.
Sam Damon
 player, 293 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 07:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Time to loose ourselves in the trees," suggested Sam.

"You lot coming?"
Alison Foster
 player, 298 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 12:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison followed Sam huffing and dragging her leg.
The Darkness
 GM, 626 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 14:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three of you, as well as three others from the group that appeared, make it to the trees just as a dark green, military style jeep (complete with mounted .50 cal) begins to pull into view.  One of the others got stuck in the fence and another stayed to help them.  Cornered as the jeep pulls in closer, they have no choice but to stand and wait.  Ordered to raise their hands above their heads, three soldiers step out from the jeep and walk towards them, rifles drawn.  A brief conversation takes place (although it is too far to make out clearly what is being said) before suddenly, and without warning, the three soldiers open fire on the two people.  Their bodies crash backwards into the fence from the force and collapse lifeless to the ground.  At this point the soldiers voices raise slightly as they signal to each other...

"Mike, take a look around quick, make sure we didn't miss anyone."


One of the soldiers, slinging his rifle back over his shoulder, walks back to the jeep and returns to the bodies with several tarps.  They begin rolling the bodies onto the tarps and carrying them back to the jeep as the third soldier, rifle still raised, begins walking calmly towards the trees.
Sam Damon
 player, 294 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 15:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Take cover," murmured Sam quietly. (A murmur doesn't travel as far as a whisper!)

He swung quietly up into a tree near the edge of the forest. People so rarely remember to look up when searching...
Charles Mallory
 player, 104 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 15:05
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles stayed low and ducked behind a thicket of bushes, laying flat against a log.
Alison Foster
 player, 299 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 15:55
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison hid as best she could. If possible she will try and get the drop on this fellow and use a sleeper hold to render him unconscious. Then she would have a gun and God help them when that happened.
The Darkness
 GM, 627 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 13:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The roaming soldier approaches the treeline but stops short by several yards and begins to pace back and forth, peering into the darkness in an attempt to find any others.  After several tense moments, the other two soldiers have the bodies loaded and call to the third.  One last glance towards the brush and he turns to rejoin the others.  The jeep roars to life and the three disappear back into the night.
Sam Damon
 player, 295 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 14:27
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Once they are gone, Sam dropped down to the ground again.

"Right then. Who all is here?"
The Darkness
 GM, 628 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 15:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three remaining people appear from their respective hiding spots.  Two of them are totally alien but the third, a young woman perhaps in her mid to early 20s, was one of the people you encountered in the factory before...whatever it was...sent you all fleeing.  She is dirty and unkempt and speaks softly, as if avoiding nearby ears.

"Thank you.  My name is Lynn, this is Mike and Jumper (she motions to the two other individuals with her)."
Sam Damon
 player, 296 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 15:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I am Sam, my companions are Alison and Charles. We got swept up and ended up being held in the military base, but we... left. How did you folks end up here?" Sam asked.
Alison Foster
 player, 300 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 16:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison slid back to the ground, nursing her leg. She is exhausted. She only intended to close her eyes but she falls asleep quickly.
The Darkness
 GM, 629 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 05:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The woman called Lynn continues to rotate her head, watching for something that isn't there.

"Same as you, we were running from the chain worm."
Sam Damon
 player, 297 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 08:11
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Chain worm? What is that? All we knew is that there was a dreadful racket, and everyone else was running, so we thought it a good idea to run as well."

Sam was curious. What was going on here?
The Darkness
 GM, 630 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 13:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"You mean, you didn't see it?!"

She seemed confused by your response.  As if it were common knowledge whatever she was referencing.

"All the damn light it gives off?!"
Sam Damon
 player, 298 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 13:10
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam was also puzzled. Why would he ask about something he already knew about?

"No, we didn't see it. We heard a terrible noise in the tunnels under the warehouses, and everyone else was running so we did as well. What is this 'chain worm' of which you speak?"
Charles Mallory
 player, 105 posts
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 13:30
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Groaning Charles climbed to his feet knocking leaves and bug off his clothing. "I saw part of something back there. Saw enough ta know I didn't want to see the rest of it. Where did that thing come from?"
Alison Foster
 player, 301 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 20 Sep 2018
at 14:40
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison shrugged, she had no idea what any of them were talking about except Sam. “I was busy trying to run with a leg that has a fucking bullet hole. I heard something like metal scraping but no light, sorry.”
The Darkness
 GM, 631 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 14:30
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The young woman takes a few moments to settle herself while her companions continue to scan in all directions; their nerves still clearly on edge.

"We don't really know anything beyond what they look like and sound like...and only a few have actually survived to retell such things.  They started appearing right after the big accident downtown."

She shifts her attention to Charles...

"They say it looks like bits of metal strung together with sparks shooting out from the gaps.  Like some industrial christmas lights gone horribly wrong."

From the back, the one she called Mike speaks up...

"It's a damn army experiment and we're the guinea pigs!"

Lynn spins her head around...

"Shut the hell up with your stupid conspiracy theories!  They don't help!  All you do is scare people with that shit!"

"So, you actually saw it?  Or some of it anyway?"
Charles Mallory
 player, 106 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 14:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sitting on a nearby log Charles nodded, "Yea. What little I saw sounds alot like waht ya described. It was sorta like a long segmented arm or maybe even a tentacle with somekind of blueish glittering lights along it. Didn't see much after that glimpse we were doing our best ta get out of the place from then on."


Alison Foster
 player, 302 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 15:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison huffed, “I need a damned gun.” She sneered at the woman but soften at once, “Maybe some kind of aerosolized hallucinogen?”
The Darkness
 GM, 632 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 15:41
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn shook her head...

"We've seen enough bodies, or...well, parts of them, to know it's not imagined."
Sam Damon
 player, 299 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 10:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam picked up on something.

"What can you tell me about the big accident downtown? We're not from here, we were brought here against our will."
Alison Foster
 player, 303 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 13:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison just shook her had and listened to Sam’s interrogation.
The Darkness
 GM, 633 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 13:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Oh yes, you did mention you came from the military camp.  We're all prisoners against our will now a days."

She looks around nervously and motions for everyone to move further into the treeline under the cover of darkness.  Her tone relaxes as she grows more comfortable in the soft black embrace of the forest.

"A few weeks back there was a huge explosion in the city.  Took down an entire building including the club that was open at the time.  Lot a bodies from that one.  Initially they said it was an industrial accident but most people didn't believe them.  Thought it was a terrorist attack or something like that.  Then they came out and said it was an old waste dump for the military and it got triggered and went off somehow.  They've been rather tight lipped since then." 
Alison Foster
 player, 304 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 13:20
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison was a bit skeptical about th explanation to the explosion. ”That can’t be right, Captain. It just can’t. A munitions depot would NEVER be under a civilian population. Further such a facility would have multiple safe guards to prevent explosions. Munitions are handled in such careful fashion that this story is almost certainly not only a lie, it such an obvious one that it is meant to make people like you and I suspicious.”
Sam Damon
 player, 300 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 15:15
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam nodded.

"That certainly sounds fishy. Anyone know some local first responders? What is the media saying?"
The Darkness
 GM, 634 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 16:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Oddly enough, most every first responder on the scene was locked out, from what they tell.  Seems the military already had their own crews there before anyone else.  The few EMT's we've talked to, or anyone has talked to for that matter, tell pretty much the same story.  There's rumor that one or two who happen to be nearby got there before the military descended, but if they exist, they're keeping their lips sealed or have simply vanished.  I mean, how could nobody have gotten there before the military?!  It doesn't even sound plausible."

"As for the media", she snorts divisively,"they just keep regurgitating the same garbage over and over, like they've all been handed a script.  It's been damn near a month since it happened and all we hear about is 'toxin levels unfit for humans' and other such tripe."
Alison Foster
 player, 305 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 16:27
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded along with this. ”Captain, this I believe completely. I was...involved in something like this. I’d rather this just be between you me and our friend Charlie.” So she had some ideas about the general concepts they are dealing with, being military cover up and perhaps somethings else too.

”Did I mention I’d cut my left hand off for a gun right now?”
Sam Damon
 player, 301 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 09:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I think all of us would be happier armed, Alison."

Sam turned back to the others.

"What is the current state of the rest of the township? Are people going about their business as normal?"
The Darkness
 GM, 635 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 13:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As the topic once more of firearms comes up, you can see the one called Jumper seems to perk up but ultimately remains quite.

"Yes and no.  Most people are simply going through the motions, trying to ignore what's happening.  Doesn't change the fact that the city is now full of soldiers...you can't go anywhere without being watched anymore.  Even the roads and bridges out of town are blocked...possible contamination we could be bringing with us or some garbage like that.  Some just prefer to live under a delusion, I guess.  The truth is, nothing has been normal since the explosion.  The soldiers, weird sightings, missing people...nothing is 'business as normal'."
Sam Damon
 player, 302 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 13:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Weird sightings? What else has been spotted?"

Sam reckoned things seemed pretty strange here.

"Are things like telephones and the internet affected?"
Alison Foster
 player, 306 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 13:33
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison goes to “Jumper” having noticed the reaction. She has her eyes on Jumper’s, ”I need, a gun. I’m a woman, yea I know I’m an amazon, but I been shot in the legs. I’m barely walking. The only chance I have of defending myself is good old Mr. Sam Colt. What can I do to get a gun? Do you know where there is one? Anything?”
Charles Mallory
 player, 107 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 13:44
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The old man sat quietly listening to the conversation and watching the surrounding woods. He couldn't fault Allison, he to would love to have a firearm at the moment.
The Darkness
 GM, 636 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 16:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn and Mike shot heated glances towards Jumper.

"Shut up man!  We don't even know them and I'm guessing at least these two (pointing towards Alison and Sam) are military!"


"Oh hell, just tell them.  If they were with them guys we'd probably be on our way to the camp, or worse."


He seemed conflicted as to what to say and to whom as he kept putting his head down and looking up from Lynn to Alison to Mike and back down again.  Finally he spoke...to Alison...

"I...do know where to get some but...well like Mike said...how do we know we can trust you?"

His voice was broken and nervous and he began to twitch slightly, like a squirrel getting ready to bolt.  His name was beginning to make more sense now.

Lynn returned to Sam, calming herself before speaking again...

"All types of weird shit, yeah.  A lot of people say they keep seeing ghosts or talk about family members becoming possessed.  There definitely is a new atmosphere among people but I really don't think it's mass possession or any crap like that.  Others, however, talk about aliens or strange sounds and lights.  I mean, well hell, take those damn metal snakes."
Alison Foster
 player, 307 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 16:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison had a bit of an angry look as she unbuckled her pants and pushed them to her knees. She leaned against a tree as the went down, revealing her ugly “granny panties” and both her thighs are bandaged. She reached down and unbandaged the one that was hurt less, but would look worse because there was a through and through wound. She had not seen them yet, but she could feel the staples in her flesh. When her wound came into view She balled up he bandages and threw them at Jumper. ”Take a good look, my friend. Yes I was military, British Royal Marine Corps Special Reconnissiance Regement. Now I’m a merc. I was here helping a friend, a damned friend, and then he disappeared and I got shot.” She wasn’t just talking to him she was talking to all the survivors. ”Now if anyone doubts my sencerity, come over here and have a good close look. I need a weapon. I am not going to use it on you. That would be fucking stupid of me. I just want to get the hell out of this madhouse.”
Sam Damon
 player, 303 posts
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 09:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stood up abruptly.

"Yes, I am military. US Army. But whatever is going on here appears to be a rogue operation. I intend to bring it to an end, by whatever means necessary; but to do that I have to get to speak to those in positions of responsibility. Can you help?"
The Darkness
 GM, 637 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three look nervously back and forth between one another, occasionally daring a glance back towards you.  Several tense moments pass before anyone speaks again...

"What do you need exactly?"
Sam Damon
 player, 304 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I'll need to get someplace I can communicate... are telephones or the Internet working? Or is it possible to get clear of the town..."

Sam paused for a moment.

"In fact, I don't even know what town we're in right now. Where are we?"
The Darkness
 GM, 638 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn looks at you puzzled, as if you'd just asked the most obvious question in history.

"You're...in Albany.  New York state.  How do you not know where you are?"
Sam Damon
 player, 305 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 15:21
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam grinned.

"I didn't come here of my own volition!"
Alison Foster
 player, 308 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 18:45
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded and pulled her pants back up. "And a gun don't forget that."
The Darkness
 GM, 639 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Alright...guns we can do, sort of, and they do have a price.  I get that you don't have money but, well, he's been known to charge in other ways."

She looks at Sam specifically...

"The phone lines, internet, cell towers...all monitored and throttled.  Getting out of town...risky without the right paperwork.  Think of the city as one giant prison for arguments sake.  We've been...", she is abruptly cut off by the sound of engines in the near distance.  "We need to get away from this area now!  If you want our help, follow us...we may be able to find a mutual trade."

With that, the three begin walking deeper into the darkness of the woods.
Sam Damon
 player, 306 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:43
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Shall we?"

Sam gestured to the departing backs, and offered Alison an arm.
Alison Foster
 player, 309 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 15:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison put her arm over Sam’s shoulders. She spoke so that only he could hear her, ”I’ve a pretty good idea what they will want as trade. I’m willing, so long as it is my decision. Don’t fight it, okay?” If her guess is right, she will be the commodity in question.
Charles Mallory
 player, 108 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 17:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles sighed heavily and climbed to his feet. "Fine lets get this over with." Charles followed along behind the trio.
Sam Damon
 player, 307 posts
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 10:42
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Whatever you say," Sam replied to Alison. That hadn't crossed his mind as a potential deal...

"If you consent, fine. If you do not, well, no deal."
The Darkness
 GM, 640 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The trio lead you deeper into the woods in an unknown direction.  You would come to learn you were near the northern end of the city; the river you had seen was the Hudson.  Once oriented, you found they were taking you, more or less, in a SW direction, back towards the city proper but definitely moving angled to the military base and quarantined zone.  The going was slow, not merely due to any injuries but the cautious nature by which your three guides moved.  They insisted on staying within the treeline as far as possible, hunkering down or moving to cover as soon as any lights appeared (when you happened to be near roadways that is).  It wasn't until you got closer that they began moving more openly, blending into the scenery of the cityscape itself.

The city itself was a large, gritty place that looked like the fevered dream of some half-blind architect.  Built almost haphazardly with interstate highways connecting high above the roadways, homes and businesses below, it twisted and snaked in the most odd directions; one almost longed for the structure and uniformity of a place like NYC.  Everywhere there were signs of 'occupation'...roadblocks, checkpoints, random police and military patrols alike.  Several times the group would divert through an alleyway, abandoned building or other such path so as to avoid most of the obstacles.  They even made use of the local homeless population to help blend in, for everyone knows you can't see the homeless, especially in a state capital.  With the sun finally beginning to rise, the true ugliness of the city came into view.  It was a dirty, broken place that clearly had lost its economic edge some time ago.  It had a sinister feel to it, like the city itself was sick and rotting.  Even the people seemed poisoned and angry, filled with a malignancy of unknown origins.  Turning down a litter filled alley, they indicate that you had finally reached your destination.

"Once inside, let us do the talking.  Like we said, you look...somewhat official and these guys can be rather distrustful.  You ready?"
Sam Damon
 player, 308 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Yes. Lead on."

Sam had been observing the route carefully. He was pretty sure that he could retrace his steps. The question was, would he want to do so?
Alison Foster
 player, 310 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 16:25
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison whispered where only her companions, Charles and Sam could hear, ”This feels wrong to me, like an ambush.”
The Darkness
 GM, 641 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 13:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn raps upon the metal door.  A small panel opens and she whispers with someone on the other side, too quiet to make out what was being said.  A moment later the sound of metal against metal can be heard as, no doubt, a large metal bar had been removed from the inside.  The door opens quickly and the six of you are ushered into the building; the door slammed and re-latched very quickly.  Lynn and Jumper speak to a rather unsavory looking individual before disappearing further into the building.  Mike stays behind with the three of you.

You find yourself standing in a rundown, litter strewn hallway.  The building looked like at one time it may have been an apartment building but now it resembled a combination abandoned building and reinforced stronghold.  The windows had all been boarded over, rather crudely, with dark, thick sheets haphazardly nailed over them.  Many of the hallway doors had been torn off and were missing, several were spied being used as reinforcement.  In the room nearest by you can see several dirty, unkempt individuals in various states.  From the looks of it, you'd swear you were in some sort of crack den.
Sam Damon
 player, 309 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 14:39
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam listens... picking up on the natural background sounds of the place. After a minute or two, if they change he'll notice. He also sniffs the air. Are these folk really as grubby as they appear?
Alison Foster
 player, 311 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 16:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison leaned against the wall. She let Sam and Charles handle things for now.
The Darkness
 GM, 642 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 18:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
For all intensive purposes, the place seemed legitimate enough.  As you stand/sit waiting for whatever may come next, the sounds of the sick and diseased people fills the air.  More than once a dirty looking individual would traipse by you, some not even attempting to hide the paraphernalia or most recent score from view.  Not everyone, however, looked as bad off.  Several individuals, judging from their dress and mannerisms, were most likely involved with whatever the place was.
The Darkness
 GM, 643 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 13:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Several tense minutes pass as you continue to wait.  Finally, Lynn reappears...

"Alright, he'll talk to you.  I've explained things as best I can but it's really up to you to convince him."

She leads you further into the buildings interior and up several flights of steps, ultimately arriving on the third floor of the building.  The doors on this level were identical to the ones below save for one; a reinforced steel door that looked like it was taken from a submarine.  Several 'guards' stood around the halls, mostly monitoring windows and the street activity below.  The guards, if you will, looked more like your average street soldier, most were armed with a simple pistol or two with only a handful possessing anything more substantial (AKs).  As you reach the large, steel door one of the guards opens the door and motions you in.

The room itself looked no better than any other room you had seen; debris and garbage lay strewn about, dirt and grim caked most every surface and unidentifiable stains were the apparent paint job.  Two more guards occupied the room, they lounged on a dirty couch but kept a watchful eye on the group.  At one end of the room sat an old office desk, the only thing that looked like it had been cleaned.  A man of average build, probably in his late 20s or early 30s sat at the desk, his head bent over.  Before you could formulate a question, a loud snorting sound could be heard and the mans head shot upwards, a large pile of white powder now revealed.

"310...these are the people looking for guns."

She motions to the three of you...
Alison Foster
 player, 312 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 14:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison rolled her eyes. A dope fiend, great. This just kept getting better.
Sam Damon
 player, 310 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 14:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stepped forwards.

"Sorry to interrupt you... What you have been told is at least partially incorrect. Basically, we need to get out of town, to inform the authorities about what's going on with the base... which is NOT authorised, let alone legal. Naturally we won't specify who helped us, as there might be repercussions especially if the 'bad guys' hear about it. We could use some weapons, but information is of more use. Unless you have a massive stockpile, you must be getting supplies in, maybe lines of communication with the outside world."
The Darkness
 GM, 644 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 15:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The individual marked as '310' eyes you cautiously for several moments.  His gaze is not uncommon or unexpected as he takes his time to mull over in his head what you have just said.  When he does finally speak, he is slow, deliberate, taking the time to evaluate each word he uses...

"There is a great deal to unpack in what you have said and time is fleeting from us each day.  Information...that's easy to come by, just depends on how bad you want it but you said you wanted out.  I can tell you now, firearms will not secure such a thing.  Getting in, getting items people require in, seems to be far easier than out these days...but it is not impossible."

He pauses briefly, smiles a strange little smirk and blasts another huge rail of whatever lay in front of him before continuing on...

"I'm afraid communication is extremely limited these days, but we have our ways.  Before I place my head upon the proverbial chopping block...might I ask why you here?  Not just at my place of business, but what are you doing here, in this town, in the first place and why do you need out so desperately?"
Sam Damon
 player, 311 posts
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 09:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam returned the level gaze.

"I am here because I was investigating some weird events elsewhere, got captured and basically woke up in the base. Neither the weird stuff I was investigation nor what's going on here falls into normal Army protocol - I'm an Army officer - so I need to get to higher command to report it and get things straightened out."
Alison Foster
 player, 313 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 14:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
”I was helping a friend and got shot and captured.”

This message was last edited by the player at 14:03, Fri 02 Nov 2018.

Charles Mallory
 player, 109 posts
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 14:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles snorted, "Well ya want the long story or the short?" looking around "Yea right short. Well bunch of jerks just drove on ta my farm and started doing as they please. Didn't much like it got into a bit of a fight, next thing I knew was dragged into that damn base of theirs with a hood over my head. And I don't intend ta stick around I got things back on the farm that needs taken care of."
The Darkness
 GM, 645 posts
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 19:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
His eyes widen as Sam declares his employment but it seems to fade quickly into more of twinkle, like a bad scene in a Disney movie.

"You were held in the base by the river...and got yourselves out?!  Now that is information that people will pay for!  How did you do it?  Moreover, this is the first I'm hearing of anyone getting out and I have spotters sitting around that place 24-7.  No alarms, no deployments, seems rather odd for escapees from that place."
Alison Foster
 player, 314 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 21:10
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison looked confused, ”I thought we were in a hospital? AM I wrong?”
Sam Damon
 player, 312 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 09:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam smiled at Alison.

"It was an army base, but those usually have medically facilities. They were claiming 'quarantine protocols' but this was no public health exercise. I've been involved in those before."

He turned his glance to their host.

"We took advantage of a situation," he said, not mentioning that he'd caused it in the first place, "And snuck out through a stairwell into subterranean tunnels that led out under the city."
The Darkness
 GM, 646 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 14:42
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The collective gasp from those in the room was almost deafening.

"You...you three...went through the tunnels?!  You are either the most skilled fighters in the world, or the luckiest fools to ever grace the planet!  Only a handful of people have ever survived down there and they're all born and raised here.  Your credit rating has definitely gone up."

"Hospital my ass!  That place is a prison, a land of no return.  They keep claiming this quarantine garbage but most people don't buy it, not anymore.  When they closed the bridges and throttled all internet and cell lines, we knew something wasn't right.  Hell, nothing has been right since that explosion.  You ask me, it's one of those red herring things...false flags, that's what I was looking for.  You know, where the military stages some public display to gain their support?  Not sure what the hell they want with Albany though."
Alison Foster
 player, 315 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 15:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison listened but remained silent for now.
Sam Damon
 player, 313 posts
Tue 6 Nov 2018
at 15:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"That's why I have to get out, to report to higher authorities. I'm convinced that this is a rogue operation without the knowledge or direction of National Command Authority...uh, I mean, the President," said Sam.
The Darkness
 GM, 647 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 17:57
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
He sat silent for some time, clearly lost in deep thought.  His hands folded in front of him, his head resting upon them, he eyes the three of you continuously as he ponders what you have said.

"As I said, getting out is a difficult matter.  Downright suicidal if you ask me but that is your decision.  You came to me with a request for assistance, not a guarantee.  Now I pose a question to you.  I am a man of business...so what can you offer me in return?  Guns?  I can supply them.  Men?  I have those as well.  A plan?  Perhaps..but what do you have?"
Alison Foster
 player, 317 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 15:05
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison balked, “Don’t play games, you know we have nothing save ourselves and information. What are your terms?”
The Darkness
 GM, 649 posts
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 17:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"No bullshit, just straight to the point.  Fair enough.  A business rival of mine, if you will, is receiving a shipment of goods.  I want those goods.  Is that straight forward enough?  Using my own men would simply start a war that we don't need right now but if someone unknown went in, well, that would certainly give me an alibi.  Interested?"
Alison Foster
 player, 318 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 17:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison looked at Sam and gave a single nod. She was in if he was in. It seemed fair, she had done this kind of job before.
Sam Damon
 player, 314 posts
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 10:16
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam took a deep breath. Committing crimes wasn't normally part of the programme for an Army officer, but...

"OK, if that's your price. What does it get us?"
The Darkness
 GM, 650 posts
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 14:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"All the major roads and paths out of town are blocked.  There's a patrol that routinely circles the city as well.  They also watch the river...but they can't watch the whole thing.  I have a boat hidden away just on the outside of the city.  Get me what I want and I'll see to it that you make it to that boat."
Alison Foster
 player, 319 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 14:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alice piped up, "And guns. We get guns too right? Guns that work."
The Darkness
 GM, 651 posts
Fri 23 Nov 2018
at 16:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Guns are no problem for me." His lip curls into what he must have assumed was a smirk but came off more like a snarl (think Alien).
The Darkness
 GM, 652 posts
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 16:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Do we have a deal?"
Alison Foster
 player, 320 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 16:35
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison Shrugged, not caring one way or the other.
Sam Damon
 player, 315 posts
Tue 27 Nov 2018
at 16:50
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Feeling that everything was being left to him, Sam nodded. He wasn't too happy about it, but it seemed the best option.

"We have a deal."
The Darkness
 GM, 653 posts
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 05:33
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
So is there anything in particular you are looking for as far as gear?  He can acquire firearms but one must assume his access is somewhat limited (so no M60s, sorry).
Alison Foster
 player, 321 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 29 Nov 2018
at 11:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Pistol - prefer no smaller than .40 caliber, semiautomatic rifle - prefer 7.62MM, shotgun - prefer 12G
Charles Mallory
 player, 110 posts
Mon 3 Dec 2018
at 00:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: Charles isn't picky.
Sam Damon
 player, 316 posts
Mon 3 Dec 2018
at 09:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
If it fires bullets... Sam will take whatever he can get his hands on. A handgun and something of the 'roomsweeper' persuasion. He doesn't expect to find a precision sniper rifle here...
The Darkness
 GM, 656 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2018
at 19:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
OOC: While this is NY, it is upstate NY so it's pretty easy to get a hold of most normal firearms such as you requested.  There is no shortage of pistols & revolvers as well as shotguns (mostly standard Mossberg sportsman-style and the like).  There are a few semi-auto rifles, though nothing of high caliber, and even a few actual hunting rifles; bolt action yes but rather large rounds.  Just let me know what you're carrying.  If that's all you need, just let me know and we'll get rolling once more.
Alison Foster
 player, 323 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Mon 10 Dec 2018
at 19:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
In reply to The Darkness (msg # 239):

Pistol Mossburg and bolt action heavy caliber
Charles Mallory
 player, 112 posts
Mon 10 Dec 2018
at 19:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Well Charles is old school, so two .45's and a 12 gauge semiauto or pump shotgun.
Sam Damon
 player, 319 posts
Tue 11 Dec 2018
at 09:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Shotgun, hunting rifle and a handgun. Nothing special... perhaps a few bear bangers. They can come in handy, especially if you're somewhere that carrying a firearm is problematic.