What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men.   Posted by The Darkness.Group: 0
Alison Foster
 player, 272 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 29 May 2018
at 11:17
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison put hands over ears and tried to keep the noise out. "Go before I put my good foot up your arse."
Charles Mallory
 player, 91 posts
Tue 29 May 2018
at 12:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles grunts and mumbles something about stubborn British women. Then without a word he picks Alison up over his shoulder in a fireman's carry and starts up the ladder. "Ya can kick all ya want when we get to the top. Not like my old arse hasn't been kicked before."
The Darkness
 GM, 599 posts
Wed 30 May 2018
at 16:11
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As you slide the door up enough to work your way through, a loud crash echos from the room above.  Something was sitting on top of the door and just slid off.  From your best guess, you're escape landed you in some sort of old factory or warehouse.  The floor is littered with debris and refuse and the outlines of several machines(?) can just barely be seen.  High above, you find the source of illumination as a long row of windows, some broken and some missing entirely, line the upper wall, allowing the only source of light to filter in from outside.  Once more, the screeching, metallic sound shoots through you like a cold wind as it reverberates through the dark tunnels.
Sam Damon
 player, 264 posts
Wed 30 May 2018
at 16:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Haul the door open and urge the others up. Whatever is making such a nasty noise in the corridors is probably not friendly either.

When the others are up, close the door behind them and put the box that fell off back. Then go peer out the windows to try and get oriented. Is it daylight or street lights I'm seeing?
Alison Foster
 player, 273 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 31 May 2018
at 10:52
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
When the old codger sat her down she punched him as hard as she could right in the nose. Being that the leg she got most of her power from was injured, it was a weak punch at best, but still it meant business. "If you ever put your hands on me again, I don't care who you are, I'll beat you senseless, understand?"
Charles Mallory
 player, 92 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 12:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles staggered back from the punch holding his nose, he had expected as much if not more. "Yea, Yea totally understand. If there is a next time I'll just leave ya ta try an climb out on yer own. No problem." Turning back to the door he began piling anything else he find on top.
Sam Damon
 player, 265 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 12:52
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Stop bickering, you two," ordered Ben.

"I'm trying to get orientated. Any idea what that strange noise was? Some kind of automated device, perhaps?"
The Darkness
 GM, 600 posts
Thu 31 May 2018
at 17:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The windows are much too high to be able to look through them.  This is an older style brick building, similar to a warehouse or factory, so the windows are located nearer to the ceiling than ground level.  It is still night out, the light shining in must be from street lights or something similar.
Sam Damon
 player, 266 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 08:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
As Sam cannot see anything out the windows more than it is still night, he heads off to look for a door...
Alison Foster
 player, 274 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 00:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison hobbled along behind Sam. "Slow down, I can't keep up."
The Darkness
 GM, 601 posts
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 13:38
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The room feels almost cavernous in the bleak lighting; longer than it is wide.  Sure enough, this was definitely an abandoned factory as you come across several large pieces of machinery.  Debris lies about the floor and quite often you kick something while shuffling through the dimly lit space.  Then a tell tale sound reaches your ears.  Two metallic clicks echo in the dark...a shotgun chambering a round...followed by the distinctive sound of a rifle of some kind repeating the same action.

"Stop where you are and get your hands in the air."

It is very easy to discern where the voice came from as several lights click on you, blinding you from seeing anything.
Alison Foster
 player, 275 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 13:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison slowly turned, favoring her injured leg. "If you think I can get to you before you shoot me with my leg the way it is, go ahead and shoot. Otherwise," she shrugged, "I guess we're at an impasse because I only take orders from him." She motioned toward Sam.
Sam Damon
 player, 267 posts
Sat 2 Jun 2018
at 15:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stopped still.

"OK, who are you? Is this your place? We didn't mean to disturb anybody... We'll leave if that's what you want."

Given the state of the premises, he was thinking drifters of some kind.
Charles Mallory
 player, 93 posts
Sun 3 Jun 2018
at 01:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles simply stopped and raised his hands, "Here we go again, more guns getting pointed at me."
The Darkness
 GM, 602 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2018
at 15:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Three figures step towards you from the light.  As they get closer, you can see they clearly were not with the military or any uniformed service.  Their dress was more inline with what you would expect from the indigent or perhaps homeless; layers and colors that didn't match with various makeshift patches holding the seams together.  Of the three that approached, only one held a firearm, but kept it trained upon the group.  Other voices could be heard beyond the lighting but you could not make out any details beyond male or female voices.

"I thought you were with the military at first, but you ain't got no gear or nuffin and that old man certainly isn't enlisted."

A black gentleman of no more than twenty-five years steps forward from the three and approaches you.  The voice had a decidedly lower class British accent yet carried an air of education.

"Who the hell are you and what are you doing crawling around the tunnels."

His tone is stern but not menacing.  He reaches over to his compatriot and, placing his hand upon the barrel of his rifle, gently lowers the weapon.
Sam Damon
 player, 268 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2018
at 15:32
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We were captured by the military and escaped through the tunnels," said Sam simply. He decided not to say anything about his profession for now.

"I'm Sam, the lady is Alison, and the other guy is Charles."
The Darkness
 GM, 603 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 13:09
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"You escaped the base?!  Through the tunnels?!  Were you followed by anyone...or anything?!"

The young man seemed to tense up as Sam spoke.  His body language, and that of his two other visible cohorts, became jittery and there was a strange worrying sound in his voice; an anxious expression in his questioning.
Charles Mallory
 player, 94 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 13:22
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles noticed how jumpy the bunch suddenly got, "Pretty sure no one followed us, but there was something down there making a very disturbing sound. You don't happen ta know anything about what that was by chance?"
'Fast' Eddie
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 15:03
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
A sudden hushed murmur begins to move through the group beyond the lights.  Shuffling can be heard as the lighting begins to move about some; several turn from you towards the trapdoor you entered through.

"A sound?  Like...?"

He never finished his questioned as he stares at the group, his eyes darting nervously between them and the trapdoor beyond.
Sam Damon
 player, 269 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 15:54
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We couldn't identify the sound, but it was... there, rather than coming after us," said Sam.

"What do you know about what's down there?"
Alison Foster
 player, 276 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 7 Jun 2018
at 16:13
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison was frustrated with the situation. "Look, no offense, but can you stop pointing guns at us?"
'Fast' Eddie
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 13:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
His voice rises in tempo and anxiety...

"The sound! What was it?! What did it..."

His words vanish as a sudden *BANG* erupts from the trapdoor, swiftly followed by a second.  A third in rapid succession lands with such force that the door pops up slightly before slamming back down.  Panicked shouts erupt from the unknown group.  Immediately they begin to scatter as yet another *BANG* forces the door even higher; the force of the door slamming shut reverberates throughout the building.

"We need to leave...now!"

The flashlights trained upon you now turn, scattering light in all directions like a chaotic disco ball, as the group begins to run towards the far end of the building.

"Come on!", he shouts, motioning for you to follow him.
Sam Damon
 player, 270 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 14:12
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam takes Alison's hand.

"Can you run or shall I carry you?"
Alison Foster
 player, 277 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 14:28
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison gritted teeth, "Running is impossible."
Sam Damon
 player, 271 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 15:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Copy that."

He scooped her up and ran off after the local scavengers.