What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men.   Posted by The Darkness.Group: 0
The Darkness
 GM, 619 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:31
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Keeping the river to your right, you hastily traverse whats left of the docks.  Bouncing back and forth from concrete to rotting wood, you continue onward moving away from the military camp and blackout zone.  Occasionally shouts arise from somewhere deep within the industrial park but they were simply too far or muffled to be deciphered.  Soon, off in the distance, you can make out a broken and rusted fence line stretching from the river bank off to the left and disappearing into the night.  As you get closer, using the shadows of the old factories for cover, you can clearly see a wooded expanse situated just on the other side of the fencing.  A small dirt road runs parallel with the fence line.
Sam Damon
 player, 289 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 15:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"This looks promising..."

Sam moved forwards to see how solid the fence was, or if it had a gate.
Alison Foster
 player, 293 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 12:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded, "Lets keep going."
The Darkness
 GM, 620 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The fence is still rather solid but is marked by breaks all along its length.  If you ran its length enough you could probably find a break in it big enough to squeeze through, although it certainly seemed solid enough to hold a person attempting to scale it.  No sign of a gate can be seen from your location but every fence has an entrance/exit...somewhere.
Alison Foster
 player, 294 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:25
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
If/when climbing is mentioned, Alice shakes her head, "I don't think I'll be scaling any walls today."
Sam Damon
 player, 290 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 16:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Look for/make a hole in the fence. Sam could shin over but the other two might struggle. Not worried about noise/making a mess out here.

Sam briefly regrets the loss of his multi-tool, but makes do with brute force and using stray materials to provide leverage.
The Darkness
 GM, 623 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 15:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Within seconds you manage to locate a section of fence that is pretty badly torn open.  A little force and you are able to pull it open enough for the three of you to slide through.  Just as you're beginning to make your way through the fence itself, the sounds of voices and footfalls can be heard coming from behind you (within the industrial park).  They don't sound like military or police but rather panicked, shouting sporadically as they quickly approach your general location.
Alison Foster
 player, 295 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 16:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison motioned for the guys to go through the fence. Ill wait here. If friends, well all go trough. If not Ill hold them off for you.
Sam Damon
 player, 291 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 17:33
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"No, you go ahead with Charles," directed Sam.

He wasn't going to attract attention, even though he thought the voices were probably some of the squatters they'd met earlier. His aim was to follow Alison and just face into the night...
Alison Foster
 player, 296 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 19:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison growled, but did as her CO ordered.
The Darkness
 GM, 624 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:00
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
It takes you only a few moments to get all three of you through the fence, just as a small group of five people emerges from the shadows of the burnt out buildings.  They indeed appear to be a part of the group that you encountered only a short time ago.  Seeming to have little interest in the three of you, they make a beeline for another section of the fence and begin to scale it as quickly as possible.  If it were a lighter moment, you might laugh at the disaster that ensued as they stumbled and fell attempting to take the fence at a break neck speed.  That's when you notice a headlights beginning to appear from further down the fence and heading in your direction.  This only causes the group to scramble even harder to scale the fence.
Alison Foster
 player, 297 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:05
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison said, "We've got to try and help them."
Sam Damon
 player, 292 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"We need to stay out of sight of those headlights," said Sam, but moved towards where the group were demonstrating how not to climb a fence.

"You lot might find it easier to rip a hole in the fence, I made a hole thisaway if that bit's too solid. Come on!"
Charles Mallory
 player, 103 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 15:44
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles looked around for a good place for the lot of them to hide. "Yea we need ta get to some cover."
The Darkness
 GM, 625 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 18:51
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Just on the other side of the fence is a worn dirt path/road and just beyond that is a treeline.
Sam Damon
 player, 293 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 07:59
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Time to loose ourselves in the trees," suggested Sam.

"You lot coming?"
Alison Foster
 player, 298 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 12:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison followed Sam huffing and dragging her leg.
The Darkness
 GM, 626 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 14:24
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three of you, as well as three others from the group that appeared, make it to the trees just as a dark green, military style jeep (complete with mounted .50 cal) begins to pull into view.  One of the others got stuck in the fence and another stayed to help them.  Cornered as the jeep pulls in closer, they have no choice but to stand and wait.  Ordered to raise their hands above their heads, three soldiers step out from the jeep and walk towards them, rifles drawn.  A brief conversation takes place (although it is too far to make out clearly what is being said) before suddenly, and without warning, the three soldiers open fire on the two people.  Their bodies crash backwards into the fence from the force and collapse lifeless to the ground.  At this point the soldiers voices raise slightly as they signal to each other...

"Mike, take a look around quick, make sure we didn't miss anyone."


One of the soldiers, slinging his rifle back over his shoulder, walks back to the jeep and returns to the bodies with several tarps.  They begin rolling the bodies onto the tarps and carrying them back to the jeep as the third soldier, rifle still raised, begins walking calmly towards the trees.
Sam Damon
 player, 294 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 15:01
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Take cover," murmured Sam quietly. (A murmur doesn't travel as far as a whisper!)

He swung quietly up into a tree near the edge of the forest. People so rarely remember to look up when searching...
Charles Mallory
 player, 104 posts
Thu 13 Sep 2018
at 15:05
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles stayed low and ducked behind a thicket of bushes, laying flat against a log.
Alison Foster
 player, 299 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 14 Sep 2018
at 15:55
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison hid as best she could. If possible she will try and get the drop on this fellow and use a sleeper hold to render him unconscious. Then she would have a gun and God help them when that happened.
The Darkness
 GM, 627 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 13:07
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The roaming soldier approaches the treeline but stops short by several yards and begins to pace back and forth, peering into the darkness in an attempt to find any others.  After several tense moments, the other two soldiers have the bodies loaded and call to the third.  One last glance towards the brush and he turns to rejoin the others.  The jeep roars to life and the three disappear back into the night.
Sam Damon
 player, 295 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 14:27
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Once they are gone, Sam dropped down to the ground again.

"Right then. Who all is here?"
The Darkness
 GM, 628 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 15:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three remaining people appear from their respective hiding spots.  Two of them are totally alien but the third, a young woman perhaps in her mid to early 20s, was one of the people you encountered in the factory before...whatever it was...sent you all fleeing.  She is dirty and unkempt and speaks softly, as if avoiding nearby ears.

"Thank you.  My name is Lynn, this is Mike and Jumper (she motions to the two other individuals with her)."
Sam Damon
 player, 296 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 15:23
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I am Sam, my companions are Alison and Charles. We got swept up and ended up being held in the military base, but we... left. How did you folks end up here?" Sam asked.