What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men.   Posted by The Darkness.Group: 0
Sam Damon
 player, 303 posts
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 09:06
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stood up abruptly.

"Yes, I am military. US Army. But whatever is going on here appears to be a rogue operation. I intend to bring it to an end, by whatever means necessary; but to do that I have to get to speak to those in positions of responsibility. Can you help?"
The Darkness
 GM, 637 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:19
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The three look nervously back and forth between one another, occasionally daring a glance back towards you.  Several tense moments pass before anyone speaks again...

"What do you need exactly?"
Sam Damon
 player, 304 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"I'll need to get someplace I can communicate... are telephones or the Internet working? Or is it possible to get clear of the town..."

Sam paused for a moment.

"In fact, I don't even know what town we're in right now. Where are we?"
The Darkness
 GM, 638 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 14:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn looks at you puzzled, as if you'd just asked the most obvious question in history.

"You're...in Albany.  New York state.  How do you not know where you are?"
Sam Damon
 player, 305 posts
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 15:21
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam grinned.

"I didn't come here of my own volition!"
Alison Foster
 player, 308 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 18:45
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison nodded and pulled her pants back up. "And a gun don't forget that."
The Darkness
 GM, 639 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Alright...guns we can do, sort of, and they do have a price.  I get that you don't have money but, well, he's been known to charge in other ways."

She looks at Sam specifically...

"The phone lines, internet, cell towers...all monitored and throttled.  Getting out of town...risky without the right paperwork.  Think of the city as one giant prison for arguments sake.  We've been...", she is abruptly cut off by the sound of engines in the near distance.  "We need to get away from this area now!  If you want our help, follow us...we may be able to find a mutual trade."

With that, the three begin walking deeper into the darkness of the woods.
Sam Damon
 player, 306 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:43
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Shall we?"

Sam gestured to the departing backs, and offered Alison an arm.
Alison Foster
 player, 309 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 15:53
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison put her arm over Sams shoulders. She spoke so that only he could hear her, Ive a pretty good idea what they will want as trade. Im willing, so long as it is my decision. Dont fight it, okay? If her guess is right, she will be the commodity in question.
Charles Mallory
 player, 108 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 17:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles sighed heavily and climbed to his feet. "Fine lets get this over with." Charles followed along behind the trio.
Sam Damon
 player, 307 posts
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 10:42
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Whatever you say," Sam replied to Alison. That hadn't crossed his mind as a potential deal...

"If you consent, fine. If you do not, well, no deal."
The Darkness
 GM, 640 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The trio lead you deeper into the woods in an unknown direction.  You would come to learn you were near the northern end of the city; the river you had seen was the Hudson.  Once oriented, you found they were taking you, more or less, in a SW direction, back towards the city proper but definitely moving angled to the military base and quarantined zone.  The going was slow, not merely due to any injuries but the cautious nature by which your three guides moved.  They insisted on staying within the treeline as far as possible, hunkering down or moving to cover as soon as any lights appeared (when you happened to be near roadways that is).  It wasn't until you got closer that they began moving more openly, blending into the scenery of the cityscape itself.

The city itself was a large, gritty place that looked like the fevered dream of some half-blind architect.  Built almost haphazardly with interstate highways connecting high above the roadways, homes and businesses below, it twisted and snaked in the most odd directions; one almost longed for the structure and uniformity of a place like NYC.  Everywhere there were signs of 'occupation'...roadblocks, checkpoints, random police and military patrols alike.  Several times the group would divert through an alleyway, abandoned building or other such path so as to avoid most of the obstacles.  They even made use of the local homeless population to help blend in, for everyone knows you can't see the homeless, especially in a state capital.  With the sun finally beginning to rise, the true ugliness of the city came into view.  It was a dirty, broken place that clearly had lost its economic edge some time ago.  It had a sinister feel to it, like the city itself was sick and rotting.  Even the people seemed poisoned and angry, filled with a malignancy of unknown origins.  Turning down a litter filled alley, they indicate that you had finally reached your destination.

"Once inside, let us do the talking.  Like we said, you look...somewhat official and these guys can be rather distrustful.  You ready?"
Sam Damon
 player, 308 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 15:48
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
"Yes. Lead on."

Sam had been observing the route carefully. He was pretty sure that he could retrace his steps. The question was, would he want to do so?
Alison Foster
 player, 310 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 16:25
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison whispered where only her companions, Charles and Sam could hear, This feels wrong to me, like an ambush.
The Darkness
 GM, 641 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 13:58
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Lynn raps upon the metal door.  A small panel opens and she whispers with someone on the other side, too quiet to make out what was being said.  A moment later the sound of metal against metal can be heard as, no doubt, a large metal bar had been removed from the inside.  The door opens quickly and the six of you are ushered into the building; the door slammed and re-latched very quickly.  Lynn and Jumper speak to a rather unsavory looking individual before disappearing further into the building.  Mike stays behind with the three of you.

You find yourself standing in a rundown, litter strewn hallway.  The building looked like at one time it may have been an apartment building but now it resembled a combination abandoned building and reinforced stronghold.  The windows had all been boarded over, rather crudely, with dark, thick sheets haphazardly nailed over them.  Many of the hallway doors had been torn off and were missing, several were spied being used as reinforcement.  In the room nearest by you can see several dirty, unkempt individuals in various states.  From the looks of it, you'd swear you were in some sort of crack den.
Sam Damon
 player, 309 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 14:39
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam listens... picking up on the natural background sounds of the place. After a minute or two, if they change he'll notice. He also sniffs the air. Are these folk really as grubby as they appear?
Alison Foster
 player, 311 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 16:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison leaned against the wall. She let Sam and Charles handle things for now.
The Darkness
 GM, 642 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 18:46
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
For all intensive purposes, the place seemed legitimate enough.  As you stand/sit waiting for whatever may come next, the sounds of the sick and diseased people fills the air.  More than once a dirty looking individual would traipse by you, some not even attempting to hide the paraphernalia or most recent score from view.  Not everyone, however, looked as bad off.  Several individuals, judging from their dress and mannerisms, were most likely involved with whatever the place was.
The Darkness
 GM, 643 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 13:36
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Several tense minutes pass as you continue to wait.  Finally, Lynn reappears...

"Alright, he'll talk to you.  I've explained things as best I can but it's really up to you to convince him."

She leads you further into the buildings interior and up several flights of steps, ultimately arriving on the third floor of the building.  The doors on this level were identical to the ones below save for one; a reinforced steel door that looked like it was taken from a submarine.  Several 'guards' stood around the halls, mostly monitoring windows and the street activity below.  The guards, if you will, looked more like your average street soldier, most were armed with a simple pistol or two with only a handful possessing anything more substantial (AKs).  As you reach the large, steel door one of the guards opens the door and motions you in.

The room itself looked no better than any other room you had seen; debris and garbage lay strewn about, dirt and grim caked most every surface and unidentifiable stains were the apparent paint job.  Two more guards occupied the room, they lounged on a dirty couch but kept a watchful eye on the group.  At one end of the room sat an old office desk, the only thing that looked like it had been cleaned.  A man of average build, probably in his late 20s or early 30s sat at the desk, his head bent over.  Before you could formulate a question, a loud snorting sound could be heard and the mans head shot upwards, a large pile of white powder now revealed.

"310...these are the people looking for guns."

She motions to the three of you...
Alison Foster
 player, 312 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 14:04
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Alison rolled her eyes. A dope fiend, great. This just kept getting better.
Sam Damon
 player, 310 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 14:14
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam stepped forwards.

"Sorry to interrupt you... What you have been told is at least partially incorrect. Basically, we need to get out of town, to inform the authorities about what's going on with the base... which is NOT authorised, let alone legal. Naturally we won't specify who helped us, as there might be repercussions especially if the 'bad guys' hear about it. We could use some weapons, but information is of more use. Unless you have a massive stockpile, you must be getting supplies in, maybe lines of communication with the outside world."
The Darkness
 GM, 644 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 15:26
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
The individual marked as '310' eyes you cautiously for several moments.  His gaze is not uncommon or unexpected as he takes his time to mull over in his head what you have just said.  When he does finally speak, he is slow, deliberate, taking the time to evaluate each word he uses...

"There is a great deal to unpack in what you have said and time is fleeting from us each day.  Information...that's easy to come by, just depends on how bad you want it but you said you wanted out.  I can tell you now, firearms will not secure such a thing.  Getting in, getting items people require in, seems to be far easier than out these days...but it is not impossible."

He pauses briefly, smiles a strange little smirk and blasts another huge rail of whatever lay in front of him before continuing on...

"I'm afraid communication is extremely limited these days, but we have our ways.  Before I place my head upon the proverbial chopping block...might I ask why you here?  Not just at my place of business, but what are you doing here, in this town, in the first place and why do you need out so desperately?"
Sam Damon
 player, 311 posts
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 09:29
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Sam returned the level gaze.

"I am here because I was investigating some weird events elsewhere, got captured and basically woke up in the base. Neither the weird stuff I was investigation nor what's going on here falls into normal Army protocol - I'm an Army officer - so I need to get to higher command to report it and get things straightened out."
Alison Foster
 player, 313 posts
 Mercenary
 British ex-pat
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 14:02
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
I was helping a friend and got shot and captured.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:03, Fri 02 Nov 2018.

Charles Mallory
 player, 109 posts
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 14:34
What Fear Lurks In The Hearts Of Men
Charles snorted, "Well ya want the long story or the short?" looking around "Yea right short. Well bunch of jerks just drove on ta my farm and started doing as they please. Didn't much like it got into a bit of a fight, next thing I knew was dragged into that damn base of theirs with a hood over my head. And I don't intend ta stick around I got things back on the farm that needs taken care of."