Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 426 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 05:46
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
In reply to Kyron (msg # 217):

It takes a while, but eventually Holly manages to pick the trail up despite her inexperience tracking in this manner. You make you way down the coast as the suns pass their crest into the afternoon. As you follow a path down the cliffs toward the beach you begin to hear noises.


Let me know how you want to proceed.
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 219 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 18:53
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
 Once they began to hear a noise the wood elf uses hand signs to tell the group to slow down and take cover. He drew both his bow and arrow as he crept  forward  while under the cover of brush and large rocks.  His panther cub was close at his heels stalking along side him.  Tyrus sneaked a peek just around the rocks.



 10:37, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 18 using 1d20+5.  Stealth
10:46, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 22 using 1d20+4.  Perception.   Yay some good rolls

Jenizalia
 player, 130 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 19:46
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Jenizalia nodded as Tyrus signaled to get down.  She followed the instructions by simply getting behind a nearby rock, one that allowed her to still peak around it.  She decided to wait, nearly holding her breath for Tyrus to come back and tell them what he finds.
Biero Liadon
 player, 87 posts
 Rogue 2
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 20:25
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
"I...uh...right." Biero quietly stammered as the others silently started falling into more covert behaviour.  Pointing aside with two fingers and nodding apprehensively he stepped out of sight into the undergrowth.  Then drew his bow.

20:25, Today: Biero Liadon rolled 19 using 1d20+5.  Stealth - Quiet as the Library.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:25, Sun 05 Mar 2017.

Holly Lund
 player, 134 posts
 Fighter 2
 Human - Soldier
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 21:26
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Following Jenizalia's command, Holly remains ducked down, not wanting to accidentally reveal herself. "I'm going to stay back unless its a guaranteed fight out there, my armour's tough, but it ain't all that good for sneaking about in" she explained at a whisper.
DM
 GM, 427 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 23:47
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
In reply to Holly Lund (msg # 222):

Leaving Holly, Jenizalia and Kyron behind, Tyrus and Biero creep forward along the cliff, you find yourself rounding a corner and about fifteen feet below you you can see the beach. The sand actually appears to consist mainly of small stones and chunks of shale rock that has broken off the cliffside. Ahead of you, sitting around a low fire are three hobgoblins. Two appear to be having a conversation, the third looks to be checking on whatever it is they're cooking over the fire.

A few feet away from the driftwood logs the hobgoblins are sitting around, a palm tree leans away from the cliff face. From this angle, you cannot see a cave, but think it's probably there as hobgoblins most likely wouldn't sit out in the middle of nowhere for no reason.
Jenizalia
 player, 131 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 19:47
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
"Good idea Holly.  Lets see what they find first." whispers back to Holly as she continues to peek around the rock, this time looking for possibly a closer spot that she can get to with height advantage, and a view, just in case.

12:45, Today: Jenizalia rolled 6 using 1d20.  Perception to see if there is a better hidden vantage point to try and get to.
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 220 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 21:27
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Tyrus creeps back the way he came. "Ok folks here is what we saw..." He explained  as he drew a map in the sand to give them a better idea.
Kyron
 player, 74 posts
 Warlock 2
 Tiefling Sage
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 06:53
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Kyron creeps forward and his eyes glow just a little as he uses his power within. Casting Thaumaturgy, Kyron dims the flames of the fire as low as he can. He focuses his gaze on the fire, waiting till one of the hobgoblins gets close and tries to rekindle the dim and low flames.

So, basically, when a hobgoblin investigates the low flame I want to reverse the effect. Making the flames big and super bright and then have them flicker wildly for a few seconds.

I only need to be with in 30 feet, so not sure if stealth roll is needed. And yay rolls...
23:49, Today: Kyron rolled 5 using 1d20+1.  Stealth.

Holly Lund
 player, 135 posts
 Fighter 2
 Human - Soldier
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 12:16
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Watching Kyron move forward, casting his strange magics, Holly ducks down and pulls out her crossbow. Swiftly, she jams a foot in the stirrup and loads the weapon, brandishing it with a grim look upon her face. The watch-woman begins to move forward, ever so slowly, motioning with her free hand for her companions to follow. In the lowest of whispers, she murmurs "Weapons out - Surprise 'em".

OOC:
12:16, Today: Holly Lund rolled 9 using 2d20+1, dropping the lowest dice only.  Stealth (Disadvantage) - Sneak forward in heavy armour.

Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 221 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 18:32
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
He notched an arrows and took aim after Holly spoke. " On the count of 3. 1..2..3  Tyrus let lose an arrow as it glided effortless through the air.


10:18, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 29 using 2d20+7.  Bow attack.  Advantage both rolled for 11. So the hit is 18
10:24, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 8 using 1d8+3.  Bow damage.

Biero Liadon
 player, 88 posts
 Rogue 2
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 19:31
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Biero was startled by the speed at which the situation had escalated and had to hold a deep breath for a moment to try and calm his rising nerves.  A moment later he found himself watching an arrow arc towards the campfire and quickly tried to follow suit...

His aim was as bad as ever, but at least he managed to remain quiet.


19:28, Today: Biero Liadon rolled 11 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 1,6.  Ambush!
My luck with attack rolls continues...


19:30, Today: Biero Liadon rolled 24 using 1d20+5.  Bonus Action: Stealth.

Jenizalia
 player, 132 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 04:18
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Hesitating for just a moment as the others all seem to know what they are doing Jenizalia climbs onto a nearby rock for a better vantage point and starts shouting at the goblins, [Language unknown:  "Ieof! Ma uletol ekmo osle eklini th usteto oer manonsnti icble marut butbutdin olmoev ilwebe!"].  After all those arrows, Jenizalia is sure that the goblins will be aware of her and her friends, so she hopes to give her friends some help, even with only words.


21:11, Today: Jenizalia rolled 6 using 1d20+4.  Acrobatics.
21:11, Today: Jenizalia rolled 1 using 1d4.  Psychic damage.
21:10, Today: Jenizalia rolled 14 using 1d20+6.  Vicious Mockery: Wisdom save DC14 If not then Psychic damage and disadvantage on the next attack roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:20, Wed 15 Mar 2017.

DM
 GM, 428 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 14:09
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
In reply to Jenizalia (msg # 230):

The flames of the fire flickered as the hobgoblin checking on dinner leaned over it. Suddenly they roared upward, making the creature shriek in surprise and throw itself backward. It landed prone, but undamaged on the ground. Before either of the other two could react, an arrow sank deeply into the shoulder of one of the pair, crippling the joint and causing it to yell out in pain. The final hobgoblin roared in anger, lifting its sword and slashing the second arrow from the air, its angry yellow eyes settling on the beings who dared attack it.

As Jenizalia jumps up onto a rock, yelling, the wounded hobgoblin collapses to one knee, cradling his head as blood pours from his nose and ears. He collapses sideways to the ground, dead.


Initiative please. There won't be a map for this encounter, as I think it's going to go pretty quickly if your surprise round was any indication. You are all within 30 feet of the hobgoblins. The only one currently hidden from the goblins is Biero.
Kyron
 player, 75 posts
 Warlock 2
 Tiefling Sage
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 07:35
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Kyron chuckles as the distraction is somewhat of a success, and is surprised to see the others go from stealthy observance to engaging in combat so quickly. Had he known their intent to attack he would have used something more powerful. Sighing with disappointment that he didn't just attack outright, Kyron focuses his mind and attacks with a quick shout, [Language unknown:  Onsterourera Manthustr]

Kyron rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Initiative.
 Kyron rolled 8,10 using 1d20+6,1d10.  Attack and Damage.

Biero Liadon
 player, 89 posts
 Rogue 2
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 10:20
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Biero whispered a quick prayer to Ioun as he notched another arrow, swallowed and tried to remain as quiet as possible after its release.

OOC
Initiative: 14
Attack Roll: 12
Damage: 9 (2d6+3)
Bonus action to re-stealth: 24

Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 222 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 19:10
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Pops up from behind cover and shoots.
Wow i rolled a 1 12:08, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 8 using 1d20+7.  Bow attack.
12:07, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 17 using 1d20+3.  initiative .

Holly Lund
 player, 136 posts
 Fighter 2
 Human - Soldier
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 22:57
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
With her crossbow tightly strung, Holly swings out from behind cover and launches a shot at the skull a hobgoblin. The bowstring twangs and reverberates as the bolt flies out with monstrous speed and deadly intent.

OOC: Goodness me.
22:53, Today: Holly Lund rolled 18 using 1d20+1.  Initiative.
22:54, Today: Holly Lund rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Crossbow Attack.
22:54, Today: Holly Lund rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Critical Confirm.
22:54, Today: Holly Lund rolled 20 using 1d20+3.  I'm rolling again to see if I get another 20.
22:54, Today: Holly Lund rolled 15 using 2d8+1.  Damage: Crossbow.

Jenizalia
 player, 133 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Thu 23 Mar 2017
at 19:35
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
After watching the first goblin go down holding it's head Jenizalia turns her attention towards the other one and shouts again, "Death came quickly to your friend.  Run now and you might be so lucky."

12:29, Today: Jenizalia rolled 3 using 1d4.  Psychic damage.
12:28, Today: Jenizalia rolled 22 using 1d20+6.  Vicious Mockery.
Wisdom save DC14 If not then Psychic damage and disadvantage on the next attack roll.
12:33, Today: Jenizalia rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  Intimidation. Get that Goblin to run away rather than attack.
12:34, Today: Jenizalia rolled 8 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.

DM
 GM, 429 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 01:08
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
In reply to Jenizalia (msg # 236):

Sorry for the lateness of this post. Friday and Saturday were hell, and then yesterday turned into an 11 hour day.

Two notes: Holly, With 5e you don't need to confirm crits, they just are. I will accept the single 20. And Jenizalia, please read your spells. Vicious Mockery does not require an attack roll, just a Wis save, all you needed to roll for it was damage.



Unfortunately with the speed of the attacks, accuracy was an issue. The crackling purple and green energy of Kyron's Eldritch Blast went wide, hitting the campfire and making it flare for a moment. Both Beiro Tyrus' arrows sank into the sand, shy of their targets.

Holly's arrow seemed to make up some of the difference, sinking deftly and deeply into the body of the foremost hobgoblin, dropping it where it stood.

Jenizalia's insulting shout, paired with her yelling made the third hobgoblin hesitate where it stood, unharmed, and unmoving.


You guys all rolled higher than the hobgoblin on initiative.

Jenizalia - It saved from Vicious Mockery, but since your intimidation check was so high, I had it hesitate instead of run. In future intimidating a target costs a full action, not a bonus action, and cannot be used in conjunction with other full actions.

Biero Liadon
 player, 90 posts
 Rogue 2
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Thu 30 Mar 2017
at 10:55
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Biero shook his head, hand still shaking from yet another miss.  Would he ever get used to shooting things?  He wanted to help everyone, but was struggling with the concept of actually killing something.  Gulping back his rising nerves he tried loosing another arrow.

OOC
Attack Roll: 17
Damage: 7 (2d6+3)
Bonus action to re-stealth: 24

Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 223 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Thu 30 Mar 2017
at 22:49
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
With a smile on his face, he drew back his bow and let fly the last thing the goblin might see again.

15:46, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 9 using 1d8+3.  Bow damage.
15:46, Today: Tyrus Jadeleaf rolled 24 using 1d20+7.  Bow attack.

Kyron
 player, 76 posts
 Warlock 2
 Tiefling Sage
Mon 3 Apr 2017
at 20:21
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Angered by the fact that he has yet to do anything useful, Kyron regains his composure and with a flare in his eyes, roars [Language unknown:  Ssesbeal Ndhaie]

Kyron rolled 17,5 using 1d20+6,1d10.  Attack and Damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:23, Mon 03 Apr 2017.

Holly Lund
 player, 137 posts
 Fighter 2
 Human - Soldier
Mon 3 Apr 2017
at 23:23
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
With the bolt loosed, Holly charges forward, weapon whirling like a bladed windmill. The display of ferocity is intimidating, but her strikes swing down with a certain lack of precision.

OOC:
00:19, Today: Holly Lund rolled 17 using 2d20+4 ((9,4)).

Jenizalia
 player, 134 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Thu 6 Apr 2017
at 01:09
Story Arc 1: The Menace of Starlight Bay
Jenizalia watched as the goblin hesitated. Feeling fairly sure that he wouldn't last much longer with her companions around, because the first one didn't survive long, she chose not to act.  Instead she changed he focus and decided that Biero might be able to use a little inspiration for what lie inside the cave, "Biero, it's okay.

Goblins are nasty to all creatures they meet,
I've even heard stories that they cut off your feet,
Hunting them will only help protect others,
Husbands and wives, sisters and brothers.
They hunt people and they hunt farmers' cattle,
And Knowing these things is half the battle."


OOC:
I'm passing on my action and just using my bonus action to inspire Biero.
Biero, you get 1d6 inspiration die that you can add to any d20 roll for the next 10 minutes of game time.