Story Arc 1: The Rivalries of Wizards.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 344 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 01:35
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Tyrus Jadeleaf (msg # 709):
I sort of pushed you guys along since no one on the Watch side of things was saying anything.


Cascade, Tyrus, Jenizalia and Kyron - As you exit the Menagerie, Tyrus decides that Holly would most likely return to the Red Phoenix rather than the Bottlebone. He leads you back the way you came into the Entertainment District. You make your way through the district, come alive with the evening crowds. You pass the Hemlar Theater, all lit up and surrounded by theater goers, music filtering down onto the street.

Eventually you reach the way to the Great Lift, but Tyrus leads you past it and down a small side street. The cobbled street is painted faintly with reflections from the lamps as they are lit for the evening. The Red Phoenix is a building that sits in the center of a three way intersection of increasingly narrow roads. The only thing that differentiates the inn from the other buildings around it is a single wooden sign hanging out over the walkway. It's faded and worn with time, but you can still see the faded red bird painted on both sides.

Tyrus smiles when he sees it, feeling much more comfortable here than he did at the Bottlebone. You notice as he leads you into the tavern, that Captain Dragusev seems to have vanished and gone his own way.

As you approach the door, you see the rest of your companions approaching from the opposite direction with Evan the smuggler in tow.

Holly, Biero, Silent Wolf and Co. - You agree to send any information you find on the Hand to Magda via the nearest temple to Pelor, and part ways. Holly knows that Tyrus is uncomfortable at the Bottlebone, and the Red Phoenix is much closer, so she leads you in that direction.

She leads you all around a couple of corners and down a narrow street to a three way intersection. You see Tyrus, Kyron, Jenizalia and Cascade approaching from the other direction. Above you is a faded sign with a red bird painted on it.

The seven of you exchange greetings, and head inside.

Everyone - Walking inside, you find that the wood of the tables and floor is a dark spruce or maybe a dark, dark oak. The hearth fire on the far side of the room is banked by a grate with two entwined birds in flight on it. There is a lantern on each of the tables, the glass set into each one is red, casting the room into a dim glow that makes everything feel quieter somehow. A staircase immediately to your left leads up towards both private dining areas and rooms to let.

At the foot of the staircase, mounted on the wall is a notice board similar to the one you saw in the Bottlebone. Unlike the contracts in the Bottlebone, the Red Phoenix seems to deal in bounties. Sketches of wanted criminals and bounties to kill beasts litter it. The board is sparser than the one at the Bottlebone as well.

The tavern itself seems to have a decent flow of people who have come in to enjoy a quiet evening meal and have a good ale. A group of men carousing at a table in the back, sharing food and and beer and stories. A few couples and one man eating alone.

Behind the counter is a tall Teifling male with deep red skin and intense yellow eyes. His horns curve back and up into the air, and his black hair is slicked back away from his face. A goatee makes his chin look more pointed than it probably actually is. He's chatting with the man eating at the bar, though he looks up at the four of you when you come in. This is the tavern owner, who Tyrus knows as Jonquil Brig.

In the corner of the room nearest you is a table draped in red silk. The corner is draped in red velvet that looks almost like blood in the low light. Sitting at the table, shuffling through a deck of cards is an Elf. She's very gaunt, and there's something listless in her manner and an expression on her face that makes you think of undead things. She has pale hair and is wearing a multitude of scarves and shawls, her hands bedecked in a bevy of heavy rings.

There is a crystal ball sitting in the middle of the table, and when the elf looks up her eyes are reflected largely in the surface. She smiles faintly at Tyrus, who squirms in discomfort, remembering what she told him when she read his fortune two days ago. Lahsara returns to her cards, looking vague and unaware of where she is.

As you choose a table near the middle of the room, Callum appears. He's a young man of about 15 with shaggy brown hair and a friendly smile. He's beanpole scrawny, like he's just had a huge growth spurt and hasn't had a chance to fill out his new frame yet. He grins in recognition to Holly and Tyrus, nodding cordially to the rest of you.

"Back again?" he asks. "Were you just looking for dinner tonight or are you also looking to rent rooms for the night?"


This is your opportunity to address anything any of you want to talk about amongst yourself, and also to decide when you want to set out for Starlight Bay.
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 157 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 04:39
Re: Story Arc 1
After seeing Jonquil Brig behind the bar maning his normal spot, Tyrus gave a wave and a nod. As the waiter approached he gave him a pat on the back."Well First things first my good Callum we need our usual table." He says with a wink. "Then we need food, the best you have, and keep the Ale drinks coming. We also might need some rooms thought we might leave at first light not sure thought. Before I forget I need some meat ration ,dry of course, for my little friend here" Tyrus said pointing to Rakari as he almost ran out of breath. "Oh and I might do a lot of singing. I'm in a realy good mood, Jenizalia I hope you'll join in with me."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:43, Sat 29 Oct 2016.

Kyron
 player, 39 posts
 Warlock 1
 Tiefling Sage
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 05:02
Re: Story Arc 1
Kyron goes up to the Tiefling behind the counter. [Language unknown:  Mipepa e, Ic la entaveher k staderate t o ca reall iouthionsthe estelana. K ounratugh but be ati nefiti, rosi ioilin eraeauess Lo din i?] He looks at the members of his party and then back at the Tiefling.

Kyron listens to the response.

[Language unknown:  Hisac Ll ek ri illerepre set iouoneoer to on?]

Kyron lays 2sp on the counter and takes the items and places them in his bag.
If Kyron gets the information he seeks he will place another 5sp

Kyron nods his thanks to the tavern owner and goes over to the table where the rest of the party is, "I am going to go wander around the market, I will be back a little later." He then looks at Jenizalia, "Don't wait on me you hear, you eat your fill and rest or so help me your parents will hear of it."

Kyron flicks his cloak, twists and walks out the door without waiting for a response from anyone.

OOC:Reguardless of the information Kyron obtains, he plans to go to the market. He plans to be back before it gets too late, but doesn't want to make any promises about how fast he will be.
Biero Liadon
 player, 24 posts
 Rogue 1
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 08:18
Re: Story Arc 1
Upon entering the Inn, Biero stops and spends a few moments looking around, absorbing his surroundings.  Then quietly walks over to join the others.  However, the peaceful atmosphere is suddenly shattered by an ear wrenching screech.

Biero's face immediately flushes red and he mumbles some apologies to the floor, quickly sitting down on the chair he'd dragged over.  Withered with guilt, he looks down.  Awkwardly silent.
DM
 GM, 346 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 16:33
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Biero Liadon (msg # 713):

Callum nods amiably as Kyron makes his excuses and heads for the bar to speak with Jonquil. He heads into the kitchen, returning shortly with a couple of loaves of fresh, warm bread and butter and large bowls of thick hearty stew. He goes to the bar a retrieves mugs of a nice deep golden ale for each of you. He accepts 1 silver from each of you in payment for the meal.

At about this time, Kyron appears to speak with Jenizalia and inform all of you that he's stepping out to run a quick errand and will be back shortly.
Biero Liadon
 player, 25 posts
 Rogue 1
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 17:38
Re: Story Arc 1
When the man asks for payment, Biero frantically fumbles with the pouch at his side before the others move to pay for their own meals.  "No. I..its okay.  I...I'll pay." Eventually a gold coin popped out of the purse and bobbed about the High Elf's hand as it tried to escape his shaky grasp before finding its way into the waiter's (?) hand.  More through luck than judgement.  "You can, uh, keep the change.  I..if there is any."
Holly Lund
 player, 104 posts
 Fighter 1
 Human - Soldier
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 17:45
Re: Story Arc 1
As Callum returned to the table, Holly beckoned him over, grinning wolfishly. "Stew and bread is good and all, Callum miboy, but what I'm really craving is some meat. You gets yourself down in those kitchens and have them cook up the biggest, bloodiest hunk of meat you can find" despite her enthusiasm for the food, she looked drained: darkness under her eyes, a restless twitching of her hand and incessant yawning. She tried to hide the symptoms as best she could but the truth was she was utterly exhausted.
Cascade
 player, 68 posts
 Druid I
 Human entertainer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 18:10
Re: Story Arc 1
Cascade couldn't hold her bursting excitement in for long. She was raised by Druids and if there is one thing that most people don't know about Druids, but that they should, is that Druids throw wicked parties. Technically she had been a dancer of rituals but in practice that mostly meant she danced with no abandon around raging bonfires with all of her friends and loved ones merrily contained in the suggestion of confines of a ring of standing stones. Sure there was time for somber rituals, but they were rare. Giving thanks to a good hunt? Party. Celebrating a new birth or union? Party. Remembering one who has passed on in the cycle of nature? Double party.

By the time people were eating and drink was starting to flow she was nearly vibrating, ready to dance. She had a quick dinner herself, nothing fancy, and then started to drink and shed her armor. The heavy, stiff hide short coat coming off and sliding down slender arms bedecked with bangles at wrist and top of forearm as well as rings and arm cuffs. They were typically made from wood and semi-precious, but pretty, stones and carved with swirling natural patterns. Underneath she wore basically two layers of a bikini, one soft, inner layer and one above it of firmer, tight leather. When the others had finished their meal she asked, "You sing and play, right? You said we might, can we? Can we?"

Cascade is ready to light this place up with dancing.
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 158 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 18:37
Re: Story Arc 1
 "Oh yes Cascade, I do both. Come with me." He dawned his lute and made his way to the front of the crowds. He could hear cheers and catcalls as he took to the stage.

"I will play for you the lady of Starlight Bay.
♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪
There once was a woman whose hair Flowed of gold.
She was nimble and pretty or so the legend goes.
She and her party took on a quest to slay the Kings foes
She fought dragons of many and landed killing blows.
She vanquished villains who stood against her toe to toe.
When her quest complete kings wanted her hand and she told them  no.
The king screamed with rage and his eyes sure did glow.
She and her party fought to the last breath until the kingdom was overthrown .
She and her party left with trunks of treasures and gold in tow.
Her stories was new ,but that was ages ago.
To this day her name no man knows.
♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪

Cascade
 player, 70 posts
 Druid I
 Human entertainer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 18:45
Re: Story Arc 1
Cascade laughed and clapped along at first, but once she got a feel for the music- pretty quickly, she moved from the stage to the top of the first table nearest it and began to dance energetically, her gold hair whipping, bouncing, and cascading around her lithe, fairly exposed body.
Jenizalia
 player, 70 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 20:04
Re: Story Arc 1
Double post - ignore this

This message was last edited by the player at 20:17, Sat 29 Oct 2016.

Jenizalia
 player, 70 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Sat 29 Oct 2016
at 20:04
Re: Story Arc 1
Jenizalia's attention was focused on Lahsara so when Tyrus says her name she pulls back to taking in all of her surroundings.  "Food first Tyrus, I cant help but love fresh warm bread. Thank you Biero for the meal."

She watches Kyron go to the bar and speak to the owner, trying to see how much she might understand from her training with Kyron.  She sighs as Kyron finishes, not enough yet to know where he is going.  Her eyebrows go up in surprise when he turns and threatens her. "You don't even like my parents." Jenizalia mutters under her breath as she watches Kyron leave.  Part of her wants to stick her tongue out at him like little children often do when unhappy.

Then she returns her attention to Lahsara.  She couldn't help but notice how awkward Tyrus had gotten when the two shared nods of acknowledgement.  As Cascade jumps up on the table to dance she looks around.  This had seemed more of a quiet establishment to her than dancing on the tables would permit.  Her eyes settle on the owner, and she watches as he looks at the dancing, and over to Lahsara, and back to the dancing.  She sees that he cares about her, which catches her interest even more.  Then she finishes her food and waits a moment or two.  She feels that the owner is going to have words for Cascade and possibly Tyrus as well.  But more than anything she wants to talk to Lahsara.

After another few moments of studying the situation, Jenizalia stands and excuses herself from the table saying that she will be right back.  She has decided that she is bold enough, and this is meant to be an adventure.  She isn't sure yet about getting her fortune read.  She speaks softly enough that none but Lahsara will hear her over Tyrus's singing.
DM
 GM, 347 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 00:46
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Jenizalia (msg # 720):

"Sure!" Callum exclaims, and retreats to the kitchen. It takes a few minutes, but eventually he returns with a plate with a huge steak on it, beautifully seasoned and grilled. He places the plate in front of Holly and takes the time to clear a couple of dishes away. He retreats after Holly pays him 1 gold for the steak.

Jonquil at the bar is no longer chatting with the man sitting there. He's doesn't seem to mind the music at all, but the fact that there is now a scantily clad woman dancing on one of his tables seems to truly irk the man. He circles the bar and strides across the room to look up at Cascade, brow furrowed.

"I'll thank you not to dance on my furniture," he says flatly. His accent is odd, not quite like Kyron's, and a little bit lilting. "And I'll also thank you to keep your clothes on. This is an establishment of good repute, not a brothel."

A look around the room reveals that the two couples in the room are now giving your group odd looks, and the group of workmen in the corner have quieted and appear to be exchanging money on whether or not Jonquil will be kicking you out of the Red Phoenix for disrupting the quiet atmosphere.

Across the room, Lahsara watches Jenizalia sit down across from her and smiles. Her lips are pale in her smile, but her eyes are bright and intelligent. There is a stack of tarot cards next to her hand on the table, and the crystal ball on the table is glowing very faintly. She tilts her head to one side and considers the halfling.
Kyron
 player, 43 posts
 Warlock 1
 Tiefling Sage
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 04:54
Re: Story Arc 1
Kyron returns to the Red Phoenix and sits with the group that remain at the table. He catches Callum attention and orders a full meal, "I will have a bowl of soup, bread, cheese, a portion of Meat, and a large mug of Ale." He turns to the group that is sitting and with a half smile, "Did I miss anything of importance?"
Cascade
 player, 71 posts
 Druid I
 Human entertainer
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 06:41
Re: Story Arc 1
Cascade deflates and crumples down to a crouch on the edge of the table, her upper body folded down over the top of her legs as she is scolded. Her eyes are a little liquidy and she pouts, "I don't know what a brothel is but I didn't mean to make your bar into one I just wanted to dance and took my armor off."
Jenizalia
 player, 72 posts
 Bard 1
 Halfling Entertainer
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 07:12
Re: Story Arc 1
Jenizalia continues her conversation with Lahsara,
Biero Liadon
 player, 26 posts
 Rogue 1
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 12:51
Re: Story Arc 1
Biero risked turning back to the group.  He'd not known where to look when Cascade started taking her armour off and, even though he'd adverted his gaze before she'd finished disrobing, had a face as red as a beet.  Seeing her still in undergarments, his head snapped back around.
DM
 GM, 350 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 14:25
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Biero Liadon (msg # 725):

Cascade - Jonquil seems to soften some as he helps you down from the table. He escorts you back to your table gently, seeming to have come to a conclusion that you are very young, "When you wear nothing but your undergarments beneath your armor, it is considered impolite to remove it in public. Next time you choose to dance in public, please do so fully clothed. There are many out there who would take it as an invitation to impress themselves upon your person without your permission."

He steps aside for a moment and returns with a cloak, which he tucks around you carefully, he crouches down in front of you and gestures around at the tavern, "This is a place of quiet peace and rest. Dancing was not inappropriate, dancing on a table was. do you understand?

Jenizalia - Lahsara gazes at you for a moment, studying your face before she answers,
Cascade
 player, 72 posts
 Druid I
 Human entertainer
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 14:56
Re: Story Arc 1
The top clearly wasn't made to be an undergarment and was probably what she was used to wearing when not armored but she didn't press the issue. Over the past few days she had learned that there were many differences between a group of coastal druids and a city full of all sorts of people. Not wanting to cause any more trouble or get into an argument about how these aren't undergarments she sighs, "Maybe I should just go to bed."
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 160 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Sun 30 Oct 2016
at 21:13
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Kyron (msg # 722):

Kyron you missed my song "The woman of Starlight Bay". A little song a little dance, someone dancing on the table half naked.  Aside from that not much really." He said with a rye grin looking into the young druids direction. The wood elf then looked around to the rest of the group  "So I assume we stay the night and leave in the morning. Rakari purred happily next to him as he shared his meat
DM
 GM, 351 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 01:38
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Tyrus Jadeleaf (msg # 728):

Are you all headed for a long rest?
Tyrus Jadeleaf
 player, 161 posts
 Ranger 1
 Wood elf - Performer
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 02:21
Re: Story Arc 1
Occ: I am.
Biero Liadon
 player, 27 posts
 Rogue 1
 High Elf Sage (Librarian)
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 07:08
Re: Story Arc 1
After finishing his meal, Biero goes to bed.  He spends a few hours meditating and the rest of the time reading a book.
Cascade
 player, 73 posts
 Druid I
 Human entertainer
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 07:16
Re: Story Arc 1
Cascade does finish up a meal and head to sleep, idly reflecting on how uptight this place is.
DM
 GM, 352 posts
 The All-Knowing
 Sort Of
Mon 31 Oct 2016
at 15:41
Re: Story Arc 1
In reply to Cascade (msg # 732):

I am going to take that as a general consensus. I'm going to write off the cost of the night's stay, cause things got confusing and math. You all have a long rest, everyone is fully healed, all spell slots are back.

I'm going to start the new story arc thread, and will post from the next morning there.