Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I.   Posted by The Seer.Group: 0
The Seer
 GM, 148 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 20:54
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
The party moves slowly past the first set of alcoves, and comes upon a second identical set some forty feet later.  A sudden sound comes from behind, echoing eerily: the door has shut behind you, as if spring loaded.  (No one detected the spring.  FYI: I have you moving about 60' per round, if not a bit less, as I'm assuming you're making a rough map, or at least marking the way, as well as searching for traps/concealed doors and such).

The darkness looms ahead, past the lantern light.  After the echo of the door dies, an uncomfortable silence settles.

ooc: actions?


Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 81 posts
 Fighter
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 22:51
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar shrugs it was only a door closing.  He is happy to continue on cautiously unless someone else has cause for concern.
Myrrick
 player, 59 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2016
at 23:41
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick will keep pace a bit ahead of Uthecar, checking extremely carefully for traps, doors or anything that seems out of place.
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 59 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 00:57
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Bruno also moves along and when the door springs shut behind them he says aloud, "Did somebody expect that, because I didn't.

"Magic, I suppose. If it was not magic, we ought to expect trouble ahead and soon."

The Seer
 GM, 149 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 05:06
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar enters the second set of alcoves to the left.  Myrrick to the right.
Myrrick
 player, 60 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 21:58
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick holds up a hand, indicating they should halt. "Secret door, gents. I'll give it a look for traps. Weasel, care to help?" Myrrick will give the door a once over for traps.
Kullonar
 player, 33 posts
 Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter
 Brother of the Cudgel
Sun 13 Nov 2016
at 00:52
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
The door closing behind them didn't help Kullonar's nerves. But he says nothing, clenches his teeth, and moves forward with the rest.
The Seer
 GM, 150 posts
Sun 13 Nov 2016
at 17:11
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
PM
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 82 posts
 Fighter
Sun 13 Nov 2016
at 23:20
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"We are vigilant and ready," Uthecar confirms to Bruno's concern as Myrrick discovers the secret door.  "When you have finished checking there, there's also a hidden way in this alcove." He waits, ax in hand, standing ready facing into the alcove in case something should try to come through as the other alcove is searched.

"Perhaps it was the intent of the engineers to lure invaders deeper with easy access, before coming at them from behind." he states to no one in particular as he still reflects on the last door opening inwards.


OOC:  Woke up this morning to news of an earthquake of 7.8 magnitude 800km's away down country, along with aftershocks around 6.2 magnitude.  Wouldn't concern me normally, except 2 weeks ago we bought a house 650km's closer to the epicentre of the first quake.  Currently Wellington (to be my new city from 9th December) is experiencing aftershocks around 3.8 magnitude.

Fun times ahead, or maybe not.
The Seer
 GM, 153 posts
Thu 17 Nov 2016
at 02:28
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
ooc: Okay folks, you have two alcoves, two secret doors.  Actions...
Myrrick
 player, 61 posts
Thu 17 Nov 2016
at 03:20
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick will check the door for traps, then attempts to pick any locks that are in place

22:19, Today: Myrrick rolled 82 using 1d100.  open locks.(miserable failure)

22:19, Today: Myrrick rolled 6 using 1d100.  find traps.(tremendous success)
Zan
 player, 72 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray
Thu 17 Nov 2016
at 16:13
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Zan will give a hand with checking out the door with Myrrick and Weasel.  "I'd like to have a look as well"

10:11, Today: Zan rolled 55 using 1d100.  open .      (fail)
10:11, Today: Zan rolled 10 using 1d100.  find trap.  (success)

Weasel
 player, 23 posts
 Hardbitten busboy by day
 Scared lad by night
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 01:30
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"Step aside,  gents.  You need a real street urchin to show you how to wiggle a nimble."

Weasel sets his wooden birch wand in his left hand and a bent piece of wire in his right against the inside of the lock and makes slow, small movements - his eyes are closed and he's doing this mostly by touch and - a little - hearing.


17:29, Today: Weasel rolled 39 using 1d100 ((39))

He starts muttering under his breath.  After a few more attempts, Weasel stands.  "Me and my big mouth."
The Seer
 GM, 160 posts
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 16:13
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick, Zan and Weasel give the doors their best efforts - to the best of their knowledge, neither locks nor traps were found.

Around you, the small, ambient sounds and smells grow more noticeable.  Not by much, but enough to make all of you take note.  A slow drip echoes from somewhere, though muffled so that you don't know which direction it's coming from.

Actions!
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 86 posts
 Fighter
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 21:23
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar asks whoever is holding light to shine it around so the ceiling is well checked by everyone.  He considers the door before offering "Shall I smash it?" with a hint of enthusiasm.
Myrrick
 player, 63 posts
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 02:58
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick steps back and shrugs to his dwarven companion, his senses now on over drive, listening, looking... for anything giving away the presence of some vile monster, or demon.
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 65 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 03:05
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Bruno sighs, "Would somebody just open the damned door? It's a formerly 'secret' door? It's got no locks? No traps?

"Otherwise, I'll move up to the front...."

Zan
 player, 76 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 04:12
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Zan steps back as well.
Weasel
 player, 25 posts
 Hardbitten busboy by day
 Scared lad by night
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 04:36
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Weasel bows.  "Uthecar?  This door stands betwixt us and glory.  Make it go away, please."
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 87 posts
 Fighter
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 15:38
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar walks over, addresses the door, and if he can see no obvious way to open it, uses his shoulder to barge it in.


04:35, Today: Uthecar Hornskin II rolled 8 using 1d8.  door opener . Ha ha hah ha ha ha ha.  Oh love it.  He needed a 7 in 8, so he got an 8.
The Seer
 GM, 162 posts
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 03:09
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar leans against the door inset in the wall of the left alcove.  He notes a catch - i.e. the door sticks against a jam or lever.  This he easily slides upward, after which the door opens quietly into a second alcove that opens to a passage that seems to go left and right.  The smell of flora is stronger here, an earthy, nearly pungent smell, although surrounding you are solid stone walls.

Party's actions, please.
Myrrick
 player, 64 posts
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 14:27
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick will, as his usual, take the front and check for traps all around them as they move cautiously along. His sword ready, as always.
Zan
 player, 77 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 16:18
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Zan will take a few moments to look around before following along after the others.
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 66 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 18:15
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Bruno also follows the party forward as they move he attempts to determine whether or not there is a slope to the hall.

OOC: 75% to Detect Grade or Slope -- Bruno Rhunthane rolled 66 using 1d100.  Detecting Grade or Slope.
The Seer
 GM, 164 posts
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 23:56
Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
The party notes no flora present, either on the floor, the walls or the ceiling above.  The dwarves, Bruno in particular, note no grades upward or downward,