Chapter 1: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge.   Posted by Castle Keeper.Group: 0
Castle Keeper
 GM, 28 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 12:52
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Welcome to Chapter One: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge


The Party:

Len Packer - Level 2 human fighter
Dreya - Level 2 human druid
Elwood - Level 2 human cleric
Khaaven Level 1 (class and a half) half-elf assassin supported by wizard
Hugh - Level 2 human monk
Cole Hiller - Level 2 human ranger

Life in and around Rotter has been good for you all.  You have survived your earliest adventures and achieved some measure of success.  Your party has not attracted attention yet, but you know you are up and comers.

After your last adventure, some of you were enjoying hobbit whiskey at Crippled Dick’s, a dive bar in Rotter’s Low District.  In between shots and spidergoat skewers, you overheard a couple tattooed ruffian-types snickering a little too loudly from the next booth.  You thought about complaining to Crippled Dick about his loud-mouthed customers, but before you got annoyed enough to do something, the ruffians’ conversation started getting interesting.

Ruffian #1 (you eventually figured out his name was Sizzler) and Ruffian #2 (Chisel) were congratulating themselves for signing on with a band of thieves operating in the woods east of Rotter.  That in itself was only a little interesting.  Thieves come and go.  What got your attention was when Sizzler and Chisel started talking about ambushing parties of adventurers on their way out of dungeons.

Jumping adventurers as they exit dungeons while wounded and depleted of resources is the oldest trick in the book.  What’s new is knowing which rat bastards are doing it in advance.  You kept your ears open while you glanced at each other angrily.  Sizzler and Chisel talked about their base in the woods enough that you had a pretty good idea where it was located – an old hunting lodge about an hour’s march into the forest.  You’d seen it before on your travels, but it looked too decrepit to justify exploring it.  The thieves have apparently fixed it up.

When Sizzler and Chisel staggered drunkenly out of Crippled Dick’s, they didn’t notice Khaaven following them.  He stalked them out of town and into the woods, all the way to the “abandoned” hunting lodge.  Sizzler and Chisel weren’t particularly careful about their movements or their tongues.  Khaaven managed to pick up their conversation about plans to hit a trade caravan on Thursday.

Khaaven headed back to Rotter and the party prepared to pay the hunting lodge a visit.  You headed out Wednesday night and were hidden in place around the hunting lodge at dawn.  Your patience paid off when a party of tattooed humans emerged from the lodge around noon and headed south toward the Eastern Road.

Chisel stayed behind and stood guard at the front door of the lodge.  You watched as he chewed some jerky, then started drinking heavily from a jug.  After about an hour, his head nodded and he slumped back against the door.

Your plan was simple: Overwhelm Chisel, hide in the lodge, and ambush the ambushers when they returned, hopefully burdened with wounds and loot.

Things went well at first.  Chisel was too drunk to even notice as you tied him up and dragged him inside.  A quick sweep of the first floor of the lodge revealed little in the way of loot.  The first floor showed signs of half-hearted repairs and was still quite dilapidated.  The kitchen and dining room had seen recent use.  The thieves had clearly been using a bunk room in the back.  You were surprised at the lack of any signs of treasure.  These thieves had nothing to show for their efforts that you could find.

The upper story of the lodge was inaccessible.  The stairs had collapsed and snapped and rotting wooden beams blocked off the top of the stairwell.

Your attempts to awaken Chisel to interrogate him were fruitless.  However, you did get a chance to take a close look at his tattoos.  He had some faded tattoos of an eagle and a manticore.  The newer tattoos were more interesting.  You thought they were just decorative at first, but you soon realized they were actually writing.  The tattoos seemed to catalog his misdeeds:

I stole from my grandfather to pay for lockpicks.

I blackmailed my sister.

I cheated at dice to win 5 gold pieces from Edmer Sumpkins.


The worst crime was written on his left cheek: I strangled Summer Muncie when she rejected me.

You are confident you did not see a tattoo on Chisel's face when you saw him at Crippled Dick's.

Before you had a chance to discuss the tattoos, you heard two harsh voices coming from the floor saying, [Language unknown:  Undureica, rehana aceeai.  Tichision wa utshe k inlack trwil alasil weienc.  Rikor el nt plwer pric ingpr eefi eealss ance Ou herpreset ca chers? A e p.  Mi onstrastr.  Prwas th alsedi ho ionomewil naet olleli toetmi wer heris fiee Saofar p wilul ardme.]


There must be a secret door!   The voices are getting closer and louder.

You have Chisel tied up in the front room of the lodge.  It's about 40 feet by 30 feet with a large fireplace on the west end.  The walls are decorated with a number of mounted animal heads.  The furnishings are quite spare: a couple overturned crates for tables surrounded by a half dozen or so stools.  there's not much else here besides dirt and some discarded chicken bones.  Open doorways lead north to the barracks and kitchen/dining areas.  As noted above, the staircase to the upper floor is collapsed along the north wall of the room.  The harsh voices are approaching from underneath the east side of the room.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:55, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Khaaven
 player, 18 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 14:12
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven looks for the possible exit of the secret door, then he takes up position using a crate for cover lining up his crossbow for a shot. Hoping the cover will buy him some time to study his opponents.

Whispering, " Take cover, sounds like two orcs are coming. "




Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
+1 for spotting secrets non prime. Hide +3 prime. Will attempt to study for 3 rounds then take a death shot. Taking a position just S of fireplace covering the whole E area. Hoping to make sure both Orcs enter main room before any action taken. If any action taken before Death shot available will just take a sneak attack instead with +2 hit +4 damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:21, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 2 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 16:32
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood also searches for possible traces of the opening of any secret entrances.  If he locates the entrance, he will soundlessly point it out to his comrades.  Elwood then prepares for a possible fight.  He positions himself in the Northeast corner of the room, facing south and scanning the floor near the east wall, following the sound of the voices.  He holds his shield at the ready in his left hand.  Initially, Elwood was planning on using his light hammer, and potentially throw at the orcs.  However, looking at Len and Cole, he opts to use his mace instead, ready to attack.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:26, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 2 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 17:25
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
 “They are orcs,” Dreya whisperes back as loud as she dares.  “I think they are talking about ambushing the ambushers we were going to ambush!” 

Because the voices seem to be coming from the east side of the room, Dreya darts, nimble and quick across the floor, to slip through the doorway of the bunkhouse.  Pressing her back against the wall just beside the door, she hopes that as they emerge from the floor entrance, she can help ambush the orcs from behind.  The pull of natures magic tingles at her fingertips, prepared to toss Faery Fire on the orcs as they emerge.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:03, Wed 14 Sept 2016.

Cole Hiller
 player, 3 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 17:56
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Scanning the room for any tell-tale signs of the secret entrance Cole quietly darts to the south corner of the room near the fireplace.

"Let the bastards come," he growled under his breath, a glint of steel flashing as he pulls Vera from its sheath, poised and ready to attack any who dare to come in his path.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:36, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Len Packer
 player, 2 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 18:19
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len grits his teeth at the mention of orcs. He didn't like orcs. They were dirty and ruthless. Ridding the kingdom of the evil race is a goal worthy of any adventurer.

The fighter is a little too large to crouch behind one of the makeshift tables. He readies his axe and his shield, then stood at the other side of the fireplace from Cole. His plan is to race to the arriving enemy and dispatch one as quickly as possible.

Len does his best to breathe in smoothly. His wish is to be as calm as possible before he unleashes fury upon the beasts.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:56, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 3 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 20:28
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge

This message was deleted by the player at 20:44, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Hugh
 player, 6 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 03:58
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh quietly darts to the open north doorway and takes cover in the kitchen. The monk attempts to narrow down the location where he hears the strange voices.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 33 posts
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 22:39
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The party splits up as Khaaven and Elwood quickly scan the room for any sign of the secret door.  Dreya runs to the northeast and positions herself inside the hallway leading to the bunkhouse.  Cole Hiller plants himself in the southwest corner of the room by the fireplace.  Len Packer takes position by the northwest corner of the room by the fireplace.  Hugh takes cover inside the kitchen.

The rough voices pass under the floor of the room going from east to west, baffling Khaaven.  He spins around in confusion, unable to figure out where the secret door is.  Elwood has better luck and notices some scrape marks in front of the fireplace.  Although the mechanism isn't clear, he's sure the secret door somehow exits from the fireplace.

Khaaven jumps behind a crate and takes aim at the fireplace with his crossbow while Elwood retreats to the northeast corner of the room.

With everyone in position, you don't have to wait long.  A voice bellows out from below the floor [Language unknown:  Wi inonng!  Mand ev thablethu era di, moie?
K adet osch i prtoel lomi essastmen!]
just as the entire fireplace swings up from the floor revealing a hinge at the top.  Three orcs suddenly materialize where the fireplace used to sit.  Some magical effect is clearly involved since the orcs appeared out of thin air!

The orcs see the party arrayed around the room and their draws drop.

The party has surprise!  What do you do?



Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
17:22, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Detect secret doors (+1 for level, +1 for half-elf, non-prime).

17:09, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  Search for secret doors (+2 for wis bonus, +2 for level).

17:24, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Orcs, rolled 7 using 1d20-2.  Check for suprise.


Len Packer
 player, 3 posts
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 22:51
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len's eyes grow wide as the orcs appeared before him. How fortuitous for the evil creatures to do so! The fighter raises his battle axe and brings it down upon the closest opponent.

Len did not feel confident with the amount of damage that he had inflicted on the orc. His swing rings true, but the brutish creature bears power and toughness. Len doesn't wish to let the group down. His next swing is destined to prevail.

[Edited to remove my rolling.]

This message was last edited by the player at 05:27, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Khaaven
 player, 19 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 22:54
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven makes sure he has a good bead on an orc and then takes the shot firing his heavy crossbow. [Language unknown:  "U anpo en roetli, dise onine wilro om i lin wi. Ate atacof stras comof llndca tio eidi ti redaveica, p mineus in leect neelha wa pr." ]




Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Sneak attack +2 to hit and +4 damage. Range combat so +3 to hit for Dex. If hit 1d10+4 Damage due to sneak attack.

Dreya
 player, 5 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 23:18
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Peeking around the frame of the doorway she stands behind, Dreya casts Faery Fire on the new enemies in the room.
Hugh
 player, 8 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 07:44
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Crouched in an striking position, Hugh waits in the shadow of the kitchen doorway, ready to pounce on an unsuspecting orc the moment an opportunity presents itself.
Cole Hiller
 player, 4 posts
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 15:52
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Ice seeped in Cole's veins at the sight of the Orcs standing before him. The itch to slay something twitched in his fingers and he gripped tighter around the blood-spotted hilt of his long sword. Grim determination hardening his features, he stepped forward to strike a blow at his nearest foe, the promise of death and pain glinting in his eyes.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:09, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 4 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 16:15
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Seeing Len and Cole attack the orcs closest to them, Elwood moves forward to attack the remaining orc. "Flyspamon grant me victory against these foul creatures!" he shouts.

[Edited to replace Cole's name instead of Hugh's. The danger of posting before morning coffee kicks in]

This message was last edited by the player at 17:33, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 36 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 12:44
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len swings in front of the first orc and unleashes a mighty axe blow.  A gout of blood spurts forth as he pulls his axe back out of the orc's thigh.  The orc's howl of pain is choked off as Khaaven's crossbow bolt skewers the back of its throat.  The orc topples backwards, already beginning to stiffen.

Before the other orcs have a chance to absorb the horror of their companion's swift death, neon orange lights spring from Dreya's fingers and cover them (and Len!) with a bright glow.  They now present vivid targets in the moderate light of the room.

Between the shock of the first orc's death and suddenly being surrounded in orange light, the orc to the south has no idea Cole's sword is coming until it plants itself in the orc's abdomen.  The orc doubles over in pain, but is not dead yet.

Elwood charges across the room and slams his mace down on the middle orc's skull, crushing the poor creature's face into oblivion.

Only one orc is still standing (sort of).  What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
07:23, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 21 using 1d20+4.  Attacks Orc #1.
07:24, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 4 using 1d8+2.  Len's damage against Orc #1.

07:27, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 15 using 1d20+3.  Shooting crossbow at Orc #1.
07:27, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 2 using 1d10.  Damage against Orc #1.

07:33, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 22 using 1d20+4.  Attacking Orc #3.
07:34, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 5 using 1d8+2.  Damage on Orc #3.

07:39, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Attack on Orc #2.
07:39, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 8 using 1d8+3.  Damage to Orc #2.


Cole Hiller
 player, 5 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 14:27
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
“I care naught if this beast lives, kill him dead now for all I care, but if we are wise about this we may garner some intel,” Cole speaks gruffly, addressing the rest of his comrades, his cold gaze never once leaving the Orc’s face. “My blade is belly-deep in its abdomen and can be rather persuasive if he’s resistant.” Cole gives Vera a little twist to demonstrate, just enough to cause a bit of discomfort.  “I don’t speak that filthy Orc language. Someone tell him we have him surrounded and if he knows what's good for him he'll sing like a bird. And ask the creature how that damn magic door works and if any more of his foul kin are wandering down there.”

This message was last edited by the player at 14:47, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 6 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 14:54
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"Aye" Elwood responds. "Cole's advice is wise, and a course of action we should follow.  To me, this creature's utterances are nothing but gibberish.  However, I believe both our fair priestess of nature and lethal half-elf understand his tongue".  Glancing over his shoulder to Len, Elwood remarks "Why Len, I dare say you have a rather bright aura around you."  Elwood then faces back to the remaining orc, ready in case orc refuses to submit.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:56, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

Hugh
 player, 9 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 15:12
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Seeing that his companions have the situation well under control, Hugh stands ready to assist should more orcs spill through the secret door.

A warrior needed room to operate and the monk could see no opening without interfering with his companions.
Khaaven
 player, 21 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 16:00
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I say finish him and be done with it, they didn't say anything on the way out so must have an item or such which would allow the door to work. Of course there are more down there, these were the weak ones sent up here to collect tribute from the other low lives which lived here." as he finishes speaking he starts to search the dead orcs to see if he can find anything of interest which might operate the magic door or other value.

[Language unknown:  "Si atiratove laut paher uretraent m m hatviress, onhis alonit vertinant nd whi. Linlaterewasugh ne t but ilnoasalie waeve hatio wasne e leil thirutcon arin. E io one us er ro hesan rut paenul yin prosetome m maant oneerathe thiom astthaencsta na isofli."]

" I say we finish off the rest when they return, then we explore our new found base of operations. Having the secret area downstairs will be very nice once we clear it. With a little coin we can fix this place up once again to much better condition than it is now."
Len Packer
 player, 6 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 16:46
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len studies his left arm and the glow that he presents. He then notices his monk ally moving in position, just in case more orcs arrive from below.

"Good idea" Len mutters. He takes up position where he was before, at the north end of the fireplace. He grips his battle axe, ready for more.

The conversation about what to do with the surviving orc presents nothing of interest to the fighter.
Dreya
 player, 8 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 19:20
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Slipping through the doorway leading to the bunkhouse and back into the main room, Dreya begins to make her way to where the orcs lay slain.  As she passes by Len, she says, "I am glad my faulty casting did not bring you to harm, Sir Packer.  I do apologize."  With an uncertain, experimental wave of one small hand, she tries to diminish the magic of the Faery Fire, not sure if that is possible or if poor Len can only wait the short duration it will take for the glow to diminish.

Then moving across the room, she hedges between Cole and Elwood where they stand before the last orc remaining, the creature alive yet skewered by the unyielding steel of Cole's sword.  Unable to help it, she gives both fighters a fleeting, quick glance, as a skitterish animal might when faced with uncertainty.  Cocking her head to the side in a very peculiar manner, Dreya studies the orc panting before her in anguish.  "I see no harm in seeing if this creature will cooperate," she shrugs.  "If he doesn't answer our questions, Sir Hiller can finish him off and we are no worse off than we were before.  If he does answer, then we gain at least a little knowledge."

To the orc, Dreya says in orcish, [Language unknown:  "Ek korproone ome ad pl lar he mi seevonli.  Un she areeauast la, T com stril oer ouon'ekie illhisrom acilec, p p mo no sonei larproestave, sifo pelallla ntifo to ain pa hima, sti, aihe larlo.  P, ntieenthu Ho eeth ingiouamered maven no ad int di?  Proet ame be day ho dayallsta, terforwhivirwas oflasi.  Li icwi fi undearlarent nteandticder?  Iou utcama as p be naare e p ain romlartiower theveriou orton enthisreaortvor neekai ainsheati?"]

For now, Dreya awaits with bated breath to see if the foul-smelling orc before her chooses to answer.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:41, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 37 posts
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 13:58
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge



The orc grunts in pain as blood begins seeping over the sword.  He turns his head toward Khaaven and says [Language unknown:  "Na, mo?  Niit fowhbe ill ncin il llwhi."]  He hisses and winces, then coughs up a little blood.  He looks at Dreya. [Language unknown:  "Nt nt p st ek maeepa.  Eiing el mali San molo not ter u menwi we stamanmenive rom."]

The orc seems to swoon for a second, but he pulls it together and says [Language unknown:  "P, etant ca her.  M prohisent ithseteen yintharedect es ureticeve ck her et anyectare sta int ne li.  P for eveint-preere on os i ss ereterrea ver Wi ate li urhinc.  Any!  Sa forhisany lo onerutvir out ionticany elutch."]

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:57, Sun 18 Sept 2016.

Len Packer
 player, 7 posts
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 22:21
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len glances at the fireplace, then the interrogation.

"What's he sayin'?" the fighter asks. "Are there more of them things comin' up?"

Len looks back to the exit point for the orcs, keeping an eye out for more to appear.
Dreya
 player, 10 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 02:12
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
With a beaming smile, Dreya looks up at the companions beside her. "I think it worked! He says he will tell us how to use the fireplace if we heal him in exchange."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:13, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Hugh
 player, 10 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 03:48
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh listens to his companions' parlay with the orcs. Not speaking their tongue, he is unable to contribute, but remains vigilant for other threats. While still listening to the strange speech, he turns his attention to the surrounding area. Particularly, he looks and listens outside to make sure no orcs might be coming for shift change or something of that nature.
Elwood
 player, 7 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 04:31
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood looks to the members of the group.  "I could either cast First Aid, which will stop any further loss in vitality from bleeding, or cast Cure Light Wounds and potentially fully heal him.  I don't mind casting the first and sparing his life in exchange for all he knows, but a little reluctant to cast the second spell.  I'll yield to the team's decision, but I would recommend that Cole remove his sword from the orc's belly, and Dreya tell the orc that he'll only be healed after he tells us how to use the secret entrance, we test it out, and what we can expect down in those tunnels.  I also have a suspicion that the secret to the fireplace may involve these mounted trophies on the walls; perhaps shifting one or turning a particular horn or antler".

Looking at Dreya, Elwood asks "I heard one of them speaking just before they appeared.  Did you understand anything that was said?"
Dreya
 player, 11 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 14:32
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya looks to Elwood oddly.  "You don't understand them? Hmm. Well...what they said just before using the secret entrance, right?  Right.  I  believe it was something like 'Petty human!'... Wait, no that's not quite right.  What was it...Prancy?  No...Puny?  Yes!"  Dreya clears her throat.  "'Puny human!  You have money for us, yes? Do not make me chase you again!' That is what was said right before they arrived in this room."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:33, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 8 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 16:00
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood responds "Hmm, I guess we can rule out shouting 'Open Sesame' then".
Dreya
 player, 13 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 17:04
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya perks up.  "But they also said stuff before that...when we first heard them under the floor.  They also said something about the stupidity of humans...how humans act all tough with their tattoos...a bit of bragging about how some human cringed when one of the orcs snarled at him...Oh, yeah, and something about how boring their job would be without 'them and the Grub to play with.'  Not sure what a Grub is.  I mean I KNOW what a grub is as far as the worm..."  Looking from Cole to Elwood, Dreya realizes she is babbling just a bit and her words dwindle down.
Cole Hiller
 player, 7 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 17:48
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Cole removes the blade from the Orc's belly.  "Only stop the Orc's wound from exacerbating, do not fully heal him. I also agree with Elwood's plan to only give the aid once we have garnered the information and tested it with no repercussions." Lifting the blade back up, Cole takes on a striking stance. "I will keep my blade trained on the beast should he try anything funny in the interim. We should all be on alert."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:50, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Khaaven
 player, 24 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 17:58
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven continued to search the two dead orcs while the others tried to get information from the prisoner.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 38 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 18:10
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The orc slaps a meaty hand against the seeping belly wound and says in broken Common, "You heal, all heal, me talk."

Khaaven's search of the dead orcs is unfruitful.  He finds some lint, a crude drawing of an orc doing lewd things to an elf (with pig nose -- eww!), and a handful of coppers.  But wait!  He also finds an amulet on chains around each of their necks.  The amulets are copper disks with a black square set in the middle.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:11, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Khaaven
 player, 25 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 18:19
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
" We might heal you enough to stop the bleeding, we have the amulets for the passage. If you tell us about them we will let you go when we are finished. How does the passage work and how many more are down there?"
Castle Keeper
 GM, 39 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 18:21
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The orc laughs between groans of pain.  [Language unknown:  "Nti ouha in reany plnemo, nesi osfoni.  Bletr p thi Ess maent miec ce ere ame k ho."]
Len Packer
 player, 8 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 18:22
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len lets out a short breath. There's always a cool-off after combat. When no more comes, the fighter gets tense. It takes a while to relax again.

But there was still a chance for danger. Len keeps his battle axe at the ready.

The location of items on the dead orcs encourages Len to keep his vigilance.
Khaaven
 player, 26 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 18:30
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven takes one of the amulets and inspects it, he then inspects the exit area for the secret door to try to find a way to activate it, If he can at least narrow down exactly where the door is he can use his cantrip Open/ close to open it.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 40 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 20:20
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
There is not an immediately obvious way to use the amulet to activate the secret door.

The fireplace is still in an up-swung position so the that the "back" of the fireplace is parallel to the ground and the "front" of the fireplace faces the ceiling.  The wall behind where the fireplace used to be appears to be normal wood like the rest of the wall.  There are no visible features to play with.  The fireplace itself is quite tall so that when it is flipped up (as it currently is) there is a good 6 feet of clearance underneath the fireplace (now serving as a rather large "awning" over the teleportation area).

What are folks doing to try to activate the secret door?

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 20:24, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 15 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 22:15
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"What can this lone orc truly do?" Dreya says as she moves around to stand behind the orc.  "I mean, he is only outnumbered," she continues as she absently points to each person, "one, two, three, four...well five if you count me...outnumbered five to one.  Even fully healed, he poses little threat.  But Sir Elwood, you should save your energies for when one of us needs your help.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve.  Before our orcish friend is healed though, let's take off the amulet he is undoubtedly wearing as well first."

Leaning in, Dreya searches for the chain holding the amulet around the orc's neck.  Once she has removed his amulet, she reaches into a pouch and and extracts several blueberries she has been carrying along.  (It's a 2d4 roll to see how many goodberries she can make.)  Spilling a few out into her hand, she whispers to the berries which faintly glow with a pale light before returning to normal.

"Besides, he refuses to tell us anything until he is healed."

With a huge smile, she reaches around the orc to hold them out to him.  [Language unknown:   "Meas onvir o!  Esaich prevorson se il ch nious asone aveundate.  Ilnd, osta o ceca u netoom she neliwian."]

This message was last edited by the player at 22:16, Mon 19 Sept 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 42 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 21:50
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Orc #2 rolls his eyes as Dreya removes his amulet and stares suspiciously at the goodberries, but he quickly gobbles them down.  His gaping abdominal wound makes an odd sucking sound as it magically seals itself, leaving only some slight bruising as evidence of the life-threatening injury.

Orc #2 says [Language unknown:  "N, nceth.  Itulce on ratromtra.  Som ning omant."]

He notices the party staring at him impatiently and adds [Language unknown:  "Ev, ter iouvorove topr.  P peith ut, ith anyinttho st trre poloch ac oneionsheave oun realatvor ling i earersnti'omeain.  Redar wi nde ort meerll pe di chut i (o aretmo traithoul omebuters nc pa setwi io).  Tic rison one tioineiouvir nt comingeau ilev eret ll any som red astel hasateany.  Ine islowa atewerwhe m ourthuwasthi.  U ugh wilmanand tioiv u her ioteng un stahasure ei.  Korpo th larnceyin e plernt.  Thewerame, day buttiohou utlofine se atkor ilannt.  Saca wa adad ngroel.  Esher, thohe, icti staillsom, prut ekalee ver nghitr p unmi ersoulore erhas, sti icmeisutng leckes.  Si sapro nafian inurth ous ngusng, meain sa prei meis wer forhouandugh whe set oericareddin.  Urpl wilromect eau et.  Ni, "M" to For whe si.  Any conto Overeales ill for larne undanyrom p verstaill witma iou.  Heryinterers bean?  Vorwheortder, Is ro m es.  Di ri n was hatnd oshas inmo.  Ort wice p unus entiveure leard to yinoerwhi iefiou teisna.  Arttr oneicasonshe a trace son man sswer aito ho ei ekurie ilfoca usektaek ie histicnti pe meilpl nc k of ekekti but en he arkor hasingrutnotour wi thst iouprotra ut?  K el i, ect ichveniou is hireet ortain'ughonetha a set (prard adad lo tra les wh)."]

As Orc #2 finishes, the faerie fire winks out.  None of the orcs or party members are glowing anymore.

What next?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
16:28, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Dreya, rolled 7 using 2d4.  Casts Goodberry.

Dreya
 player, 16 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 22:39
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"Ah ha!  It worked!"  Beaming a huge smile at everyone, Dreya straightens.  Noticing some orc saliva on her palm, she briskly rubs the hand against the fur of her hide skirt.

"See, orcs are just misunderstood.  He claims that the amulets do nothing and are just for show to impress humans.  To operate the fireplace, our friend here says you simply touch the wall behind the fireplace, and you'll poof right downstairs.  And to activate it, you just have to... wait, that can't be right."

Dreya quickly confirms something with the orc.  [Language unknown:  "Of loore ousa ntesomvir ivwil anoun en ad thinse, ac wi o?"]
"Uh, he says to open the fireplace up in the first place so you can even access the wall to touch, you need to pick the nose of the deer head over there."  Dreya points, looking a little dubious about that last bit.  "He also warns that we don't want to go down there as there is a lot of bad stuff beside orcs.  Like zombies.  And the usual dark, evil underground temple.  But, if we do go down, apparently all we have to do is head straight down the corridor, and we can't miss this temple.  Oh, and to say hello to Zeke for him, and that if we tell him Snarg sent us, Zeke may not gut us.  But if we are done with Snarg, he would like to go on his merry way... and then Snarg just grumbled on about how an orc couldn't make a decent living anymore these days and that the world is going completely to hell.  For an orc, anyway."

Stepping away from Snarg yet choosing to hang on to the amulet because it is, after all, rather flashy, she makes her way back around to stand near Elwood and Cole.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:33, Wed 21 Sept 2016.

Len Packer
 player, 9 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 22:44
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len looks at the fireplace. He studies the back wall, then glances up at the deer. He gives a short "huh" before returning to his battle ready stance.

"Strange" mutters the fighter.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 44 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 23:16
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Snarg says in Common, "Yeah.  Dig boogers.  Not my idea."
Elwood
 player, 10 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 03:28
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood faces Dreya and says, "Madame, well done! Now, it seems we have many options to consider.  As Khaaven mentioned, we should be on the lookout for Sizzler and possibly some other compatriots to return.  There's also the matter of Chisel.  I'm not sure how the rest feel, but I would prefer to bring him back to justice, if only for the sake of Summer Muncie's family. Turning this place into a base of operations as Khaaven suggested is an excellent idea. These are just my humble suggestions."
Hugh
 player, 12 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 04:01
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I can't say I like the idea of going down that secret door with a couple of orcs at our backs. I know we made a deal with them and our honor is at stake, but we do so at our peril." Hugh states from the far side of the room.
Cole Hiller
 player, 8 posts
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 20:47
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Cole moves up to the deer head and looks for the mechanism in the nose as Dreya instructed to activate it. "As for the Orc, I care not what you do to him. Do whatever lets you sleep at night."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:50, Wed 21 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 18 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 23:24
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I say we let him go. He did follow through with our bargain after all. But, you are all the ones with fighting experience, so I shall defer to your decision. But if we are going down in that tunnel, I need more berries.  I will be just outside."

Having these two sacks in her inventory, she plans to stuff as many berries in them as possible, and slips out the door to outside to scan the area for any close bushes.
Khaaven
 player, 28 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 23:50
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I say we secure him with the other prisoner until after the other group gets back. Once we are ready to leave then we can release him but don't want him armed behind us. The other group should be returning soon so lets make a nice welcome for them."
Hugh
 player, 13 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 03:03
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven:
"I say we secure him with the other prisoner until after the other group gets back. Once we are ready to leave then we can release him but don't want him armed behind us. The other group should be returning soon so lets make a nice welcome for them."


"That sounds reasonable to me. The orc will be released, as agreed, but not when it still poses a danger to us," Hugh reasons.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 45 posts
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:18
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya steps outside the hunting lodge to look for fresh berries.


Cole probes the nostril on the deer head and can feel the mechanism to open the fireplace/awning.  It's just a question of pushing it a little.  Nothing happens when Cole does so, but it seems reasonable to assume that's because the fireplace is already in an "up" position.

As Dreya leaves and Cole pokes, the rest of you notice the dead orcs start to move.  Their bodies jerk and spasm as they rise to their feet, slowly at first, but much quicker as they finish.  Orc #1's eyes have turned completely black.  (Orc #2's eyes are dangling down after the mace smashed his face into a mess of nonsense.)

Snarg's eyes widen slightly and he takes a step backward from the "dead" orcs.  He says, [Language unknown:  "T, usons"].

What do you do?

(Looking back at last week's posts, I think I may have garbled the numbering on the orcs.  Going forward, Orc #2 is the orc that got its head smashed in by the mace.  Snarg is the orc that got a sword lodged in its gut.  Sorry for the confusion.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:23, Thu 22 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 11 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:35
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood holds his holy symbol towards the undead orcs, and starts chanting, invoking the divine power of Flyspamon to turn the undead.
Khaaven
 player, 29 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:49
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven quickly draws his broadsword and attacks the nearest of the dead orcs.
Dreya
 player, 19 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 16:37
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In a slight panic, Dreya, with a frantic wave of her hands, calls upon the vegetation at the bandits feet to wind around their feet and legs, hinder their progress and trip them up. As she takes her bow off her back and ready's an arrow, she pokes her head back in the doorway.

"Uh, bandits! We have bandits out here!"
Len Packer
 player, 10 posts
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 16:43
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len hears the druid's call, but first things first. A newly risen orc stands before him. The sooner the evil creature is dispatched, the sooner he can go outside to assist Dreya.

The fighter steps forward and brings down his battle axe upon the closest orc. (Len was standing to the north end of the fireplace.) Determination sits heavily in his eyes.
Hugh
 player, 14 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 05:06
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Assuming Hugh is in a position to see or hear the orcs apparent transformation to orcish zombies, the monk will quickly rush in to hopefully pound their skulls with a flying kick.
Cole Hiller
 player, 9 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 14:20
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
At hearing Dreya’s panicked shout and seeing his other compatriots have the undead Orcs in hand; Cole’s instincts spur him to jump to her aid. Leaving his position from the deer head, he rushes to her side and positions himself in front of her if he can, Vera ready at his side.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 49 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 18:14
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The undead orcs move with shocking speed.  Orc #1 throws himself at Len Packer and slashes with his claws, but Len easily sidesteps the attack.  Orc #2 opens his jaws wide and tries to bite Elwood (a truly disturbing and terrifying thing to see in the aftermath of the massive mace blow to its face earlier), but ends up gnawing on the cleric's shield instead.

Elwood holds his holy symbol aloft and calls upon the spirit of Flyspamon to turn the orcs.  His holy symbol flashes with a pure light.  The orcs cringe and begin backing away toward the secret door.

Unfortunately, the unexpected retreat by the orcs throws off Khaaven's and Len Packer's attacks.  Their blades whoosh through the spots where the orcs used to be.

Dreya fumbles uncertainly trying to do three things at once.  She finally snaps out of it, sticks her head back into the lodge, and shouts her warning.  Bandits are on the way!

Hugh runs across the room and launches into a flying kick to the face of Orc #1.  The orc's head snaps back as Hugh's foot briefly sinks into the undead flesh before bouncing back.

Cole slides out of the lodge and stands in front of Dreya as he sees 5 human bandit-types rushing toward him.  They will be in range of melee attacks next round.

Snarg has apparently disappeared, forgotten in the confusion of the orc zombies' attack.

What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
12:50, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Orc 1, rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  attacking Len Packer.
12:51, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Orc 2, rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  attacking Elwood.
12:53, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  Turn undead attempt.
12:55, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Attacking orc 2.
12:56, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 6 using 1d20+4.  Attacking Orc 1.
12:57, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 18 using 1d20+2.  Kicking Orc 1.
12:58, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 3 using 1d6+1.  Damage to Orc 1.


Dreya
 player, 20 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:05
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya pulls out her bow and will try to shoot at one of the charging bandits, if she can.
Khaaven
 player, 30 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:16
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"Elwood can you keep the undead orcs contained, Going out front to reduce the bandits,our druid is going to need all the help she can get."
Khaaven then moves outside to help with the bandits, staying at the edges. Wanting to maneuver a bandit to the edge so that he can fight him one on one, knowing that he would be most useful to his party that way. Once he can isolate one of the bandits will attack with his broadsword.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 50 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:52
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In reply to Dreya (msg # 58):

Missile fire isn't really an option at this point.  The bandits will be engaged in melee combat with Cole and possibly Dreya this round.  Dreya could fall back slightly through the doorway and try to take a shot with her bow, but there is a significant risk she would hit Cole who is directly in front of her.  If Dreya steps around Cole, she will be exposed to melee combat and would not have an opportunity to fire.  The entangle spell is still an option.  The area in front of the lodge is fairly overrun with vegetation, albeit a bit beaten down by foot traffic.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:54, Fri 23 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 21 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 22:13
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In reply to Castle Keeper (msg # 60):

Oh. That is actually what I wanted to have Dreya do initially, but thought my trial of using entangle before used up a spell slot.

If it is possible, then Dreya casts out entangle at the charging bandits.
Hugh
 player, 15 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 00:50
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh finishes his flying kick up focused punch to the orc zombie's mid-section. It seems as though the rest of the party is rushing outside so he attempts to deliver a quick resolution to the undead issue.
Len Packer
 player, 11 posts
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 02:07
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len doesn't like that he missed his opponent. This time he concentrates extra hard. The orc (number one) must permanently be put down! The fighter brings his axe across the undead foe's torso.
Elwood
 player, 13 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 03:19
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Seeing Len and Hugh deal with the orc zombies, Elwood chants "In nomine Flyspamon, semper ubi sub ubi" {casts Bless on his party}

This message was last edited by the player at 16:31, Sat 24 Sept 2016.

Cole Hiller
 player, 10 posts
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 15:13
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Wishing to suppress the bandit threat as soon as possible, Cole lunges forward and attacks one of the bandits furthest away from the middle of the bandit group.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 51 posts
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 17:03
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven charges into the doorway past Dreya.  With the bandits almost upon him, the only way he can try to force a one on one engagement is by standing in the doorway.  He takes a wild swing as the first bandit arrives, but the villain throws his hips backward and evades the blow.

At Dreya's command, the grass and weeds in front of the lodge begin to squirm and swarm over the 3 bandits in the rear.  She could not aim the spell closer to the lodge without putting Cole and Khaaven at risk.  The three bandits are caught completely by surprised and are snared in the vegetation.

Zombie orc #1 spins and sprints toward the secret door.  Hugh lashes out with a fist at the fleeing creature, but misses.  Len Packer also tries to slash it with his axe, but is too slow.  The zombie orc runs full tilt into the wall underneath the fireplace and disappears into thin air.  Zombie orc #2 is right behind him and disappears as well.

A shower of golden sparks rains down over the party as Elwood's blessing takes effect.

Bandit #2 makes a grave error by stepping in front of one Cole Heller.  Underneath his face tattoos, the bandit resembles a certain soldier from Cole's past, a soldier who ruined Cole's life forever.  Cole's eyes widen at the sudden, awful memory.  He steps into the bandit's path and shoves his sword into the bandit's throat, not stopping until the hilt guard smashes into the bandit's spine.  The last thing the bandit sees is Cole's growling face, then nothingness.

The three entangled bandits blanch in horror and begin struggling frantically to escape.

Bandit #1 misses Cole's vicious attack on his companion since he is engaged in his own dance with Khaaven.  He slashes at Khaaven with a grimy short sword, but narrowly misses, no doubt due to Elwood's blessing.  All hail Flyspamon!


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
11:51, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 1, rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Attacking Khaaven.  (I forgot to subtract one due to the active bless spell.)
11:43, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 10 using 1d8+2.  Damage against bandit 2.
11:43, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Attacking bandit 2.
11:40, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 9 using 1d20+6.  Attacking zombie orc 1.
11:38, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 5 using 1d20+4.  Attacking zombie orc 1.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 5, rolled 2 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 4, rolled 12 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 3, rolled 6 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:31, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 4 using 1d20+2.  Attacking Bandit 1.
11:27, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Monsters, rolled 1 using 1d6.  Initiative.
11:26, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC The Party, rolled 4 using 1d6.  Initiative.


Elwood
 player, 14 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 19:29
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood shouts "Len, Hugh - I'll cover your backs and watch out for Snarg or anything that might come back through that entrance while the two of you can help our friends. Your fighting skills are better than mine, and I'll end up just blocking your way if I try to go ahead of you."  Elwood then slowly backs up to the middle of the room, mace and shield at the ready. He'll place himself so he can see the fireplace and both doorways on the north wall, and will be prepared to attack anything that may come from any of those 3 entrances.
Dreya
 player, 22 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 22:22
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
With a dagger strapped to each thigh, Dreya pulls one free of its sheath and stands ready to try and stab a bad guy should he get too close.
Khaaven
 player, 31 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 23:15
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven continues to attack and attract his bandit's attention instead of letting him attack the druid Dreya. Hoping Elwood's bless is still with him to guide his blade and deflect the enemies.
Len Packer
 player, 12 posts
Mon 26 Sep 2016
at 02:24
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len thought for a brief moment after the cleric's words. If the other man thought it would be a good idea to go outside, he'd go outside. Len raced through the door and ran toward the nearest foe, battle axe raised.

"Lots of bad guys today" entered the fighter's mind.
Hugh
 player, 16 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Mon 26 Sep 2016
at 03:50
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh nods in agreement with Elwood's command and follows Len. He attempts to slip through the door, if possible, otherwise he vaults through an open window to engage the unentangled bandits. His goal is to exit the cabin while avoiding the entangled area, if possible.
Cole Hiller
 player, 11 posts
Mon 26 Sep 2016
at 16:45
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Cole’s mind is filling with rage from a memory that never gives him peace as his knuckles turn white from the intensity of gripping the blood-stained hilt of Vera so tightly.  With single-minded intent he seeks out the next closest victim for his rage and attacks, careful to skirt the druid’s entanglement spell if the living vegetation should be near.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 53 posts
Tue 27 Sep 2016
at 16:01
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Bandit #1's sword slashes across Khaaven's arm for 3 damage.

The remaining bandits continue to struggle against the entangling vegetation.  One of them, Bandit #4, manages to break free and stagger out of the spell's area of effect.  Just in time for Cole to slide his sword into his belly.  Cole continues to growl as the bandit slowly oozes off his blade and falls lifeless to the ground.

Elwood stands watch in the middle of the room while Dreya fingers her dagger and waits to poke anything foolish enough to get past Khaaven.

The assassin returns the favor to Bandit #1, cutting his opponent.  The bandit's leather armor almost saved him, but Khaaven's brute strength pressed his sword through to flesh for 4 points of damage.

Len Packer starts toward the door and Hugh starts toward the window, but the door is blocked by Dreya and Khaaven and the window is shut.  Len solves the problem by hurling a crate through the window.  Hugh jumps through the opening and is prepared to unleash violence next round.

Meanwhile, Vecivious Lex wakes up from the nap he was taking in the bunkhouse (can't they just keep it down for 10 minutes?) and wanders into the main room to discover the ongoing excitement.

Current situation: Khaaven and Bandit #1 are playing a game of who can bleed more.  Bandits 3 and 5 are still stuck in the entangling greenery and unable to move.  PCs can engage the stuck bandits in melee, but the PCs will probably end up entangled as well.  On the other hand, Bandits 3 and 5 are ripe targets for missile fire.

What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)

Khaaven has taken 3 points of damage.
Bandit #1 has taken 4 points of damage.
10:52, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 4 using 2d4+2.  Damage to Bandit 1.
10:52, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Attacking Bandit 1.
10:50, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 6 using 1d8+2.  Damage to Bandit 4.
10:49, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  Attack Bandit 4.
10:47, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 5, rolled 3 using 1d20+1.  Escape entanglement.
10:46, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 4, rolled 21 using 1d20+1.  Escape entanglement.
10:46, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 3, rolled 6 using 1d20+1.  Escape entanglement.
10:43, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 1, rolled 3 using 1d6.  Damage to Khaaven.
10:43, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 1, rolled 16 using 1d20.  Attack Khaaven.
10:41, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandits, rolled 4 using 1d6.  Initiative.
10:41, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Party, rolled 3 using 1d6.  Initiative.


This message was last edited by the GM at 16:05, Tue 27 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 31 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Tue 27 Sep 2016
at 16:37
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
If the bandit that is attacking the meat shield that is Khaaven is also shouting or cursing or yelling as he swings, Dreya leans around the assassin and says some quick words, trying to create water WITHIN the space her eyes see inside the attacking badit's open mouth.

If she sees tongue, she is going to try to start creating 2 gallons of water in that space.
Cole Hiller
 player, 12 posts
Tue 27 Sep 2016
at 17:56
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Cole would be damned if another innocent was lost this day! The thought invaded his mind as events from his past were blending and blurring with the here and now. The blood still dripping from his last kill, Cole sheaths Vera at his side and quickly whips out his bow, the fury unabating as he shoots the bandit directly in his view.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:35, Tue 27 Sept 2016.

Khaaven
 player, 36 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Tue 27 Sep 2016
at 18:32
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven will continue his dance of death with the bandit.
Elwood
 player, 17 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Wed 28 Sep 2016
at 00:02
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood hears Khaaven grunt with pain, and quickly glances over his shoulder.  Seeing that his colleague's wound isn't too severe, he maintains his watch for anything coming from the secret entrance.  However,  he readies himself to cast Current Light Wounds should Khaaven take another blow.
Len Packer
 player, 13 posts
Wed 28 Sep 2016
at 00:39
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Not wishing to exit out through the window, Len turns to ask the others what they think he should do. With that, he spots Lex coming in from the north.

"Watch out!" he yells as he rushes his foe, battle axe ready to do its job. Although he has concern about his teammates, dispatching Lex is of great importance to Len. But then, it occurs to him. Is Lex one of the bandits? He's a bit too clean to be one of the bandits. And he's currently not prepared to fight. Len stops in his tracks.

"Are you one of the bad guys?" he softly asks the newly arrived man.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:50, Wed 28 Sept 2016.

Vecivious Lex
 player, 4 posts
 Human Mage 2
Wed 28 Sep 2016
at 00:49
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
With a scratch to his head, followed by a yawn with stretched arms, Vecivious looks upon the battle with confusion. Last he recalled, he and a young brunette apprentice were discussing the finer things of potion ingredients on a soft satin comforter. Then some raucous burst forth and he finds himself admist a battle.

He rubs his eyes to ensure it isn't some twist in the dream that stole the young lass from his mind. Realizing his dream is lost, a scowl crosses his face as he suddenly chants "Med dessa ord som bar, skall du snart snarkar" while throwing a pinch of sand at the group.

OOC: Cast sleep indiscriminately
Hugh
 player, 17 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Wed 28 Sep 2016
at 06:33
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh is reluctant to enter the entangled area and doesn't much fancy attacking defenseless bandits.

If he can get to Khaaven's side without becoming ensnared by the druid's spell, he will. The warrior seemed like he could use a little help and he will gladly assist knocking some sense into the bandits.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:33, Wed 28 Sept 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 56 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 12:50
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Bandit #1 may be dumb, but he's not stupid.  Sensing the battle is lost, he spins and runs for it.  His sudden retreat stuns Khaaven and Hugh for a moment.  They strike at the bandit once they recover, but by then it's too late and the bandit is out of reach.  With his great speed, Hugh can chase down the bandit if he wishes.

Meanwhile, Bandit 3 and Bandit 5 continue to struggle to escape the vicious vegetation.  With a mighty heave, Bandit 3 staggers out of the spell's area of effect.  Bandit 5's efforts are so far ineffective.

Bandit 3's celebration is short lived.  He looks at Cole to say something, but Cole's crossbow bolt plants itself deep into the middle of Bandit 3's forehead.  The bandit falls backwards as a death rattle shakes loose from his throat.

Dreya's face falls as she is unable to get her spell off before Bandit #1 turns and hides his mouth from view.  She takes some comfort in the knowledge the spell will still be available next round.  Bandit 5's mouth is wide open as he shouts his surrender.  His pathetic begging is just beginning to get entertaining when Lecivious's sleep spell drops Bandit #5 and Cole Heller into a deep slumber.

Elwood watches carefully as Len and Lecivious become reacquainted.

What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
07:46, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Vecivious Lex, rolled 4 using 2d4.  Number of HD put to sleep.
07:42, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 6 using 1d8.  Damage to Bandit 3.
07:41, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 9 using 1d20.  Damage to Bandit 3.
07:40, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 11 using 1d20+3.  Shoot Bandit 3.
07:38, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 5, rolled 6 using 1d20+1.  Escape entanglement.
07:38, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 3, rolled 12 using 1d20-1.  Escape entanglement.
07:35, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 3 using 1d20+2.  Attacking bandit 1.
07:34, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 7 using 1d20+3.  Attack bandit 1.
07:31, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Party, rolled 4 using 1d6.  Initiative.
07:31, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandits, rolled 5 using 1d6.  Initiative.


Khaaven
 player, 37 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 12:56
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven will ready his crossbow and attempt to go after the fleeing bandit long enough to get a shot off. Not wanting any escaping bandits to later return to the parties new found base of operations when in this area.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 57 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 12:58
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
If the goal is to shoot Bandit #1, Khaaven might as well take his shot now.  He is about an even match for the bandit in terms of running speed.
Khaaven
 player, 38 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 13:10
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven will take the shot now then to try to stop him from fleeing, not to mention might get bonus for the back shot.
Dreya
 player, 32 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 13:24
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Bouncing around weird in frustration as her first attempt with the create water spell flubbed, if bandit #5 fell asleep with his mouth hanging open, she will cast her create water spell with the same intent as last time.
Vecivious Lex
 player, 6 posts
 Human Mage 2
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 13:40
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"No I'm not one of the bad guys, you buffoon!" old man Lex growls as Len. "If anyone is a bad guy it's whoever is responsible for creating this raucous and disturbing my nap!" he rambles on angrily.

With a scowl he surveys the main room, eyebrows raising curiously as he notices the entangling vegetation now occupying a fair portion of the room. Returning his attention to Len Packer, the old man grabs him by the chin and softly turns his face left then right. Releasing his grip, Vecivious asks "Heeeey, do I know you? Did you ever adventure in the ruins of Rkund?"
Cole Hiller
 player, 13 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 14:04
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"ZZZZZZZZZZ"
Len Packer
 player, 15 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 18:20
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len's eyes show that he thinks for a moment.

"Rkund? Is that the place up in the mountains where the bad guys were making bats swarm the village? Or was it by the lake where those creepy monsters kept knocking over boats and chomping on the fishermen?"

Len gives a small "hmm."

"I'm glad that you're not one of the bad guys. Sorry about your nap."
Elwood
 player, 19 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 21:13
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
As Elwood goes over to Khaaven to check his wounds, he carefully eyes both Vecivious Lex and Dreya, hoping they won't cast Sleep or Faerie Fire on him.

If he is able, and if it won't interfere with Khaaven's combat, Elwood will cast Cure Light Wounds on Khaaven.
Vecivious Lex
 player, 7 posts
 Human Mage 2
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 01:56
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I thought it was an old ruined fortress, but I've adventured with so many folks it's hard to tell." the old man mutters. "Anyhoo, ya seem familiar and friendly. The names Vecivious Lex, but most folk tend to call me just Lex for some reason." Vecivious says as he offers his hand in greeting.
Hugh
 player, 18 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 03:35
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh takes off after the fleeing bandit. His goal is not to kill the fleeing bandit, but to sweep his feet and knock him to the ground.

Calling ahead, "There's no use running! I will catch you! Stop now and you will receive fair treatment..."

OOC: Non-lethal attack or grapple if necessary
Len Packer
 player, 16 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 03:57
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len shook the other man's hand.

"An honor sir."

A look of confusion crossed the large fighter's face.

"What does Vizzid... Vessidi... Vevisi... That other name mean? I have never heard it before."

Suddenly, Len recalled that there were teammates outside.

"Uh oh. I wonder how the others are?"

Len started to head through the door to the outside.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 58 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 22:04
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Just as Hugh is about to catch up to Bandit #1, Khaaven's crossbow bolt pulls ahead in their race and slams into the bandit's spinal cord.  Bandit #1's arms fling out to his sides as he face plants into the ground.  Hugh checks for a pulse and confirms the villain was slain.

Dreya wiggles her druidy fingers and chants until water begins to explode out of Bandit #5's mouth.  The bandit chokes and gags himself awake.  He manages to cough out an extraordinary amount of water before collapsing, exhausted, back into the vegetation.  You can easily hear his raspy breathing accentuated by the occasional wet cough.

Elwood lays hands on Khaaven and heals 5 points of damage to the assassin.

The situation has calmed.  All of the bandits are dead with the exception of the partially-drowned Bandit #5 who is incapacitated and stuck in the entangling yard vegetation.  Chisel is snoring away in a drunken stupor inside the hunting lodge.  Two shockingly fast orc zombies have fled through the secret door to the dungeon underneath the lodge.  Snarg has vanished to parts unknown.

The party needs to plan its next move.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
16:55, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 5, rolled 20 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw against drowning.
16:52, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 5 using 1d8.  CLWs Khaaven.
16:51, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 3 using 1d10.  Damage to Bandit 1.
16:50, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 24 using 1d20+5.  Shooting Bandit 1.


Elwood
 player, 20 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 22:12
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood carefully searches the dead bandits, looking for anything useful and/or valuable.  He has his flask of holy water ready to splash on any of the dead bandits in case they start showing signs of becoming undead bandits.
Khaaven
 player, 39 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 00:41
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven searches the dead bandits for any valuables which they might of gotten from this new attack they were planning. Making sure to gather all weapons and armor as well, so that they can start to equip and outfit their new base.
Len Packer
 player, 17 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 02:23
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len stood at the entrance and noticed that his compatriots were fine.

"You guys did good" he commented with his most complimentary voice. "No more problems in here. I almost attacked Vish... Viscuc..."

Len grunted.

"Lex. I almost attacked Lex. But I didn't. No more orcs, either."

He scratched his cheek.

"Do you need help gathering those guys' things?"

Len stepped onto the ground and went to the nearest dead bandit that hadn't been stripped. After sliding his own weapon onto his back, he leaned over to grab what he could.
Hugh
 player, 19 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 03:59
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh examines the slain bandit with pity. "It's a shame to go out that way. Shot in the back. No honor in such a death," he says dismissively.

"Live by treachery, die by treachery," he adds before returning to his companions.

"We should see to their burial, but not before we find out where those zombies got off to."
Dreya
 player, 33 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 12:11
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Not quite knowing a spell went off in the cabin about the same time Cole Hiller dropped since she was outside the whole time, Dreya approaches his form where he crumpled near the last living bandit. Without laying a hand on him, she tries to see if he has any wounds. Upon seeing no wounds and that he is very much alive, she nudges him with the toe of her boot. When he doesn't respond, she nudges him harder.

Finally, she pushes him over to his back with the same foot she was trying to prod him with. She glances from him, to the bandit still trapped in entangle, to Cole Hiller again, then over to those searching through the pockets on the already cooling bodies.

"Uhh...what do we do with this one?" Dreya points to the entangled bandit with her dagger. "Are we keeping him alive to question him? Are we killing him? And what about Sir Hiller here?" Dreya further questions, gesturing with the dagger toward Cole's crumpled form. "He just sort of...um...fell right in the midst of screaming bloody murder."

She gives him another jostling nudge with her boot. "And he does not seem inclined to waken."
Cole Hiller
 player, 14 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 13:40
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"ZZZZZZZZ"


(One could note that the Ranger never looked more at peace then when in the throes of a deep slumber.)

This message was last edited by the player at 13:52, Wed 05 Oct 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 60 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 15:17
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The party thoroughly loots the bodies of Bandits 1 through 4.  Only Bandit #1 has anything of substantial value (the others just had a few copper pieces each).  Bandit #1 is carrying 50 gold pieces, 100 silver pieces, and several pieces of jewelry.  Khaaven easily appraises them at:

  • 1 ring with platinum band set with a series of small diamonds placed to from the shape of a dolphin (value 500 gp)
  • 1 necklace of rubies and blue agates (value 250 gp)
  • 1 bracelet of gleaming gold (value 100 gp)
  • 2 diamond earrings (value 75 gp as a set or 25 gp each)
  • 1 silver charm bracelet with silver figurines of a horse, a scorpion, a dragon, a potion bottle, and a badger (value 100 gp)


Cole Hiller can easily be awakened if someone delivers a sharp (but non-damaging) slap to his face.

None of the dead bandits show any sign of arising as zombies.

Dreya's entanglement spell comes to an end.  The grasses and weeds loosen and relax, releasing Bandit #5.  He continues to lie on the ground staring at the party and occasionally coughing.  He appears to be waiting for the party to decide what it is going to do with him.

What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
10:03, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Appraise jewelry.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:19, Wed 05 Oct 2016.

Dreya
 player, 34 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 17:11
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya hauls back and slaps Cole Hiller.
Khaaven
 player, 40 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 20:44
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven after gathering all of the loot and appraising it. "Lex any way you can see if any of these items are magic, or the weapons or armor they had." looks to Len, "Thanks for offering to help, can you gather all of the weapons and armor. We can start a small armory or sell them off later."

He then pulls his dagger and approaches the now free bandit #5. " Your immediate survival depends on your truthfulness and cooperation. If you do so, you and the other survivor will be released in the near future. We want the names of all of your fallen comrades here, the fence or contact in town to get rid of all of your spoils."
Len Packer
 player, 18 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2016
at 21:10
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len blinks as Khaaven spoke to him. He looks down at the armload of items that he held. Not all of it is armor and weapons as Khaaven desired. He begins to pick from what he held, leaving just armor and weapons. Doing a quick inventory, Len smiles. He turns and heads inside with his first haul.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:17, Wed 05 Oct 2016.

Hugh
 player, 20 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Thu 6 Oct 2016
at 03:51
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh searches the hunting lodge's exterior for a shovel or spade. Unfortunately there were bodies to dispose of and he knew a likely candidate to do some digging: the captured bandit now being interrogated.

If none are immediately visible he will redirect his attention to the secret door the zombie orcs fled into.
Vecivious Lex
 player, 8 posts
 Human Mage 2
Thu 6 Oct 2016
at 11:21
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"Well ain't ye a demanding guest," Vecivious says with a snort. "Pile it all together while I get my things. No sense in trying to go back to bed anyways," he grumbles as he turns and disappears in the room from whence he came. A long moment later he returns, properly dressed and pack in hand.

"Already lets see what we've got here," the mage mutters looking over the equipment. Holding one hand forth with three fingers extended he chants "Med dessa ord och fingrar tre, låt mig veta var magi vara".

Cast Detect Magic
Dreya
 player, 35 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Thu 6 Oct 2016
at 13:43
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
When Dreya is done slapping Cole awake, she will continue her original goal of finding enough berries to fill the two empty sacks in her inventory.
Elwood
 player, 21 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Thu 6 Oct 2016
at 17:19
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood helps Hugh in looking for digging instruments for burying the dead.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 61 posts
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 16:45
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya pulls her arm back, hesitates a moment with her hand trembling in the air, then slaps Cole across the face.  Cole immediately lurches up, shouts, "Not the pimp hand!", and his foot shoots out sweeping Dreya's legs out from under her.  The druid lands on her bottom next to the now-alert Mr. Hiller.  They both look around a bit dazed.

Vecivious's fingers twinkle with magic, but none of the jewelry, coinage, or equipment taken from the bandits resonates as magical.

The surviving bandit looks at Khaaven's blade and barks out a laugh.  "Fence?" he says.  "We don't fence a damn thing.  We bring loot to the orcs and we're lucky to get day old gruel in return.  I don't know any of these assholes.  That guy over there called himself Milky.  Those guys are Sizzler and Karl.  What's left of Bart is flopped over there.  There was supposed to be a guy named Chisel watching over the place, but I guess you took care of him."

The secret door/fireplace is quiet.  None of the dead bandits show any sign of animating as zombies.  You don't see any digging implements outside, but a search of the large closet across from the suite reveals a couple shovels as well as additional yard tools and cleaning supplies (covered in much dust).

There are no berry bushes nearby, but Dreya does have 12 fresh berries in her pouch.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
11:36, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Dreya, rolled 12 using 2d10.  How many berries does she have?

Hugh
 player, 21 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 16:54
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh grabs the shovel and returns to the others and listens to the ongoing questioning. Once concluded, he says to the captive, "You picked the wrong line of work. A person should never willingly yoke themselves to the likes of orcs. Maybe something can be learned of this. Your first lesson is at hand."

Hugh lightly digs the shovel into the earth. "There is much digging to do and I know just the man for the job."
Khaaven
 player, 41 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 17:22
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
" Think we should bring the dead back to town, want to see if any rewards for them. Also prefer to not have many dead around here if we can since they seem to rise from the dead."

Looks around to the rest of the party;" My suggestion is that Elwood, myself and maybe one other return to town, we talk to the law about the dead bandits. Get a reward if one is available, sell off the goods we just recovered, get supplies to fix up the lodge. Those who stay here can supervise the surviving bandits on their mandated sentence to fix up this place for us. Elwood can try to find out more about this place in town as well as about the dead and anything we might need to fight it. Once we are ready we can clear out what ever threat is hidden below. Elwood and myself will talk to the law and sell our recovered goods, whoever else comes with us can hire a wagon return here and bring in the bodies. By the time they return we should be done shopping and information gathering so we can use the wagon to return with our supplies."
Hugh
 player, 22 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 17:55
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I don't think it wise to split up the party, reward or not, while there are unknown threats lurking below. Doing do might call for more shovels." Hugh reasons.

The monk has no interest in fixing up the ramshackle hunting lodge. He has few needs for material possessions, save for those he can carry in his pack.
Elwood
 player, 22 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 21:24
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood remarks "I agree that at least some of us should go into town to sell these goods and get supplies.  I can start asking the brothers in my order and some of the other churches what is known about any old stories of this evil temple that Snarg mentioned, and also inquire about what is known about this lodge - when it was built, and who owns it.  As for whether we stay together or split up, I leave that up to the rest.  It might be a too much for only four people to handle if anything comes through the fireplace entrance while keeping an eye on our two prisoners.  If we all go to town, taking these two bandits with us, there's a risk of this place being filled with orcs or undead , but seeing that there are three among us trained in the art of stealth, we should be able to assess their presence without being caught unaware."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:30, Fri 07 Oct 2016.

Dreya
 player, 36 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 23:06
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Brushing out the grass and leaves from the fur of her hide skirt with a little indignant glare shot down at Cole as she gets to her feet, Dreya hedges her way over to where Khaaven, Elwood, and the rest of the men are discussing further plans.

"Even creatures of the forest know that there is safety in numbers.  It is not like we can't handle anything that may be in this shack, undead or otherwise, once we get back.  We are obviously all still very much alive from our first encounter, so we could clear it out again.  But going in to town?"  Dreya nervously fingers a fur hide scarf that is wrapped around her neck, the idea of heading into a populated area clearly unnerving her.

"I suppose I can go in to town with everyone else.  I believe you all will be wishing to clear out this underground passage before we decide whether we are using this hut as our own place. Sir Elwood's idea of gaining information is a sound one."  She eyes the hut warily. "Though staying in one place?  Hmm.." Again, that idea makes Dreya uneasy.

"Perhaps we can sell some of the...loot?  Is that what it is called?...Sell the loot we have gathered and get equipment for going down somewhere where there is clearly undead.  I wouldn't mind resting a little as I feel some of my magical reserves are low.  Even if we come back here once we are done in town and spend the night in the shack, we can post watches to guard the fireplace and the entrances to the hut itself."

She goes to stand awkwardly near the doorway, yet remaining outside.  "I could search for berries on the way into town as well.  I wouldn't mind filling all my empty pouches with fresh berries.  And...I'm rambling again, so I will go along with whatever you all decide is the best thing to do.  You all clearly have more experience with this sort of thing than I."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:06, Fri 07 Oct 2016.

Hugh
 player, 23 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 7 Oct 2016
at 23:47
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh is still puzzled over the party's apparent desire to repair the lodge, but he pushes these thoughts aside for the moment. The consensus seems to be to yield initiative in favor of returning to town.

"If this is the will of the group, so be it," Hugh concedes. The monk returns to the secret door and listens for activity while the others prepare to return to town.
Cole Hiller
 player, 15 posts
Sat 8 Oct 2016
at 13:52
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Brushing the grass and dirt off his knees, Cole stands up, retrieves his bow and reharnesses it to his back.  “I don’t like splitting up the group.  It never ends well…” The words trail off and die in the Ranger’s mouth as he seems to stare off into the distance, one hand rests atop the hilt of his sword.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 63 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 00:58
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
And so the party is off to town.  Rather than role play out every in-town encounter, please post a list of the activities the party wants to engage in back in town and I can give you the results.
Len Packer
 player, 19 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 01:03
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge

This message was deleted by the player at 01:07, Mon 10 Oct 2016.

Castle Keeper
 GM, 64 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 01:05
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Actually, let's put the to-do list in a new in-town thread.