Chapter 1: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge.   Posted by Castle Keeper.Group: 0
Elwood
 player, 10 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 03:28
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood faces Dreya and says, "Madame, well done! Now, it seems we have many options to consider.  As Khaaven mentioned, we should be on the lookout for Sizzler and possibly some other compatriots to return.  There's also the matter of Chisel.  I'm not sure how the rest feel, but I would prefer to bring him back to justice, if only for the sake of Summer Muncie's family. Turning this place into a base of operations as Khaaven suggested is an excellent idea. These are just my humble suggestions."
Hugh
 player, 12 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 04:01
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I can't say I like the idea of going down that secret door with a couple of orcs at our backs. I know we made a deal with them and our honor is at stake, but we do so at our peril." Hugh states from the far side of the room.
Cole Hiller
 player, 8 posts
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 20:47
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Cole moves up to the deer head and looks for the mechanism in the nose as Dreya instructed to activate it. "As for the Orc, I care not what you do to him. Do whatever lets you sleep at night."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:50, Wed 21 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 18 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 23:24
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I say we let him go. He did follow through with our bargain after all. But, you are all the ones with fighting experience, so I shall defer to your decision. But if we are going down in that tunnel, I need more berries.  I will be just outside."

Having these two sacks in her inventory, she plans to stuff as many berries in them as possible, and slips out the door to outside to scan the area for any close bushes.
Khaaven
 player, 28 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 23:50
Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"I say we secure him with the other prisoner until after the other group gets back. Once we are ready to leave then we can release him but don't want him armed behind us. The other group should be returning soon so lets make a nice welcome for them."
Hugh
 player, 13 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 03:03
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven:
"I say we secure him with the other prisoner until after the other group gets back. Once we are ready to leave then we can release him but don't want him armed behind us. The other group should be returning soon so lets make a nice welcome for them."


"That sounds reasonable to me. The orc will be released, as agreed, but not when it still poses a danger to us," Hugh reasons.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 45 posts
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:18
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya steps outside the hunting lodge to look for fresh berries.


Cole probes the nostril on the deer head and can feel the mechanism to open the fireplace/awning.  It's just a question of pushing it a little.  Nothing happens when Cole does so, but it seems reasonable to assume that's because the fireplace is already in an "up" position.

As Dreya leaves and Cole pokes, the rest of you notice the dead orcs start to move.  Their bodies jerk and spasm as they rise to their feet, slowly at first, but much quicker as they finish.  Orc #1's eyes have turned completely black.  (Orc #2's eyes are dangling down after the mace smashed his face into a mess of nonsense.)

Snarg's eyes widen slightly and he takes a step backward from the "dead" orcs.  He says, [Language unknown:  "A, din"].

What do you do?

(Looking back at last week's posts, I think I may have garbled the numbering on the orcs.  Going forward, Orc #2 is the orc that got its head smashed in by the mace.  Snarg is the orc that got a sword lodged in its gut.  Sorry for the confusion.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:23, Thu 22 Sept 2016.

Elwood
 player, 11 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:35
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood holds his holy symbol towards the undead orcs, and starts chanting, invoking the divine power of Flyspamon to turn the undead.
Khaaven
 player, 29 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 15:49
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven quickly draws his broadsword and attacks the nearest of the dead orcs.
Dreya
 player, 19 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 16:37
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In a slight panic, Dreya, with a frantic wave of her hands, calls upon the vegetation at the bandits feet to wind around their feet and legs, hinder their progress and trip them up. As she takes her bow off her back and ready's an arrow, she pokes her head back in the doorway.

"Uh, bandits! We have bandits out here!"
Len Packer
 player, 10 posts
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 16:43
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len hears the druid's call, but first things first. A newly risen orc stands before him. The sooner the evil creature is dispatched, the sooner he can go outside to assist Dreya.

The fighter steps forward and brings down his battle axe upon the closest orc. (Len was standing to the north end of the fireplace.) Determination sits heavily in his eyes.
Hugh
 player, 14 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 05:06
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Assuming Hugh is in a position to see or hear the orcs apparent transformation to orcish zombies, the monk will quickly rush in to hopefully pound their skulls with a flying kick.
Cole Hiller
 player, 9 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 14:20
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
At hearing Dreya’s panicked shout and seeing his other compatriots have the undead Orcs in hand; Cole’s instincts spur him to jump to her aid. Leaving his position from the deer head, he rushes to her side and positions himself in front of her if he can, Vera ready at his side.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 49 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 18:14
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
The undead orcs move with shocking speed.  Orc #1 throws himself at Len Packer and slashes with his claws, but Len easily sidesteps the attack.  Orc #2 opens his jaws wide and tries to bite Elwood (a truly disturbing and terrifying thing to see in the aftermath of the massive mace blow to its face earlier), but ends up gnawing on the cleric's shield instead.

Elwood holds his holy symbol aloft and calls upon the spirit of Flyspamon to turn the orcs.  His holy symbol flashes with a pure light.  The orcs cringe and begin backing away toward the secret door.

Unfortunately, the unexpected retreat by the orcs throws off Khaaven's and Len Packer's attacks.  Their blades whoosh through the spots where the orcs used to be.

Dreya fumbles uncertainly trying to do three things at once.  She finally snaps out of it, sticks her head back into the lodge, and shouts her warning.  Bandits are on the way!

Hugh runs across the room and launches into a flying kick to the face of Orc #1.  The orc's head snaps back as Hugh's foot briefly sinks into the undead flesh before bouncing back.

Cole slides out of the lodge and stands in front of Dreya as he sees 5 human bandit-types rushing toward him.  They will be in range of melee attacks next round.

Snarg has apparently disappeared, forgotten in the confusion of the orc zombies' attack.

What do you do?


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
12:50, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Orc 1, rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  attacking Len Packer.
12:51, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Orc 2, rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  attacking Elwood.
12:53, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Elwood, rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  Turn undead attempt.
12:55, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Attacking orc 2.
12:56, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 6 using 1d20+4.  Attacking Orc 1.
12:57, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 18 using 1d20+2.  Kicking Orc 1.
12:58, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 3 using 1d6+1.  Damage to Orc 1.


Dreya
 player, 20 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:05
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Dreya pulls out her bow and will try to shoot at one of the charging bandits, if she can.
Khaaven
 player, 30 posts
 Half elf Assass/wiz(1/.5)
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:16
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
"Elwood can you keep the undead orcs contained, Going out front to reduce the bandits,our druid is going to need all the help she can get."
Khaaven then moves outside to help with the bandits, staying at the edges. Wanting to maneuver a bandit to the edge so that he can fight him one on one, knowing that he would be most useful to his party that way. Once he can isolate one of the bandits will attack with his broadsword.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 50 posts
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 21:52
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In reply to Dreya (msg # 58):

Missile fire isn't really an option at this point.  The bandits will be engaged in melee combat with Cole and possibly Dreya this round.  Dreya could fall back slightly through the doorway and try to take a shot with her bow, but there is a significant risk she would hit Cole who is directly in front of her.  If Dreya steps around Cole, she will be exposed to melee combat and would not have an opportunity to fire.  The entangle spell is still an option.  The area in front of the lodge is fairly overrun with vegetation, albeit a bit beaten down by foot traffic.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:54, Fri 23 Sept 2016.

Dreya
 player, 21 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Fri 23 Sep 2016
at 22:13
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
In reply to Castle Keeper (msg # 60):

Oh. That is actually what I wanted to have Dreya do initially, but thought my trial of using entangle before used up a spell slot.

If it is possible, then Dreya casts out entangle at the charging bandits.
Hugh
 player, 15 posts
 Human Monk
 AC: 14 | HP: 18/18
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 00:50
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Hugh finishes his flying kick up focused punch to the orc zombie's mid-section. It seems as though the rest of the party is rushing outside so he attempts to deliver a quick resolution to the undead issue.
Len Packer
 player, 11 posts
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 02:07
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Len doesn't like that he missed his opponent. This time he concentrates extra hard. The orc (number one) must permanently be put down! The fighter brings his axe across the undead foe's torso.
Elwood
 player, 13 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 03:19
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Seeing Len and Hugh deal with the orc zombies, Elwood chants "In nomine Flyspamon, semper ubi sub ubi" {casts Bless on his party}

This message was last edited by the player at 16:31, Sat 24 Sept 2016.

Cole Hiller
 player, 10 posts
Sat 24 Sep 2016
at 15:13
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Wishing to suppress the bandit threat as soon as possible, Cole lunges forward and attacks one of the bandits furthest away from the middle of the bandit group.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 51 posts
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 17:03
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Khaaven charges into the doorway past Dreya.  With the bandits almost upon him, the only way he can try to force a one on one engagement is by standing in the doorway.  He takes a wild swing as the first bandit arrives, but the villain throws his hips backward and evades the blow.

At Dreya's command, the grass and weeds in front of the lodge begin to squirm and swarm over the 3 bandits in the rear.  She could not aim the spell closer to the lodge without putting Cole and Khaaven at risk.  The three bandits are caught completely by surprised and are snared in the vegetation.

Zombie orc #1 spins and sprints toward the secret door.  Hugh lashes out with a fist at the fleeing creature, but misses.  Len Packer also tries to slash it with his axe, but is too slow.  The zombie orc runs full tilt into the wall underneath the fireplace and disappears into thin air.  Zombie orc #2 is right behind him and disappears as well.

A shower of golden sparks rains down over the party as Elwood's blessing takes effect.

Bandit #2 makes a grave error by stepping in front of one Cole Heller.  Underneath his face tattoos, the bandit resembles a certain soldier from Cole's past, a soldier who ruined Cole's life forever.  Cole's eyes widen at the sudden, awful memory.  He steps into the bandit's path and shoves his sword into the bandit's throat, not stopping until the hilt guard smashes into the bandit's spine.  The last thing the bandit sees is Cole's growling face, then nothingness.

The three entangled bandits blanch in horror and begin struggling frantically to escape.

Bandit #1 misses Cole's vicious attack on his companion since he is engaged in his own dance with Khaaven.  He slashes at Khaaven with a grimy short sword, but narrowly misses, no doubt due to Elwood's blessing.  All hail Flyspamon!


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
11:51, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 1, rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Attacking Khaaven.  (I forgot to subtract one due to the active bless spell.)
11:43, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 10 using 1d8+2.  Damage against bandit 2.
11:43, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Cole Hiller, rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Attacking bandit 2.
11:40, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Len Packer, rolled 9 using 1d20+6.  Attacking zombie orc 1.
11:38, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Hugh, rolled 5 using 1d20+4.  Attacking zombie orc 1.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 5, rolled 2 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 4, rolled 12 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:34, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Bandit 3, rolled 6 using 1d20+1.  Saving throw.
11:31, Today: Castle Keeper, on behalf of Khaaven, rolled 4 using 1d20+2.  Attacking Bandit 1.
11:27, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC Monsters, rolled 1 using 1d6.  Initiative.
11:26, Today: Castle Keeper, for the NPC The Party, rolled 4 using 1d6.  Initiative.


Elwood
 player, 14 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 19:29
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
Elwood shouts "Len, Hugh - I'll cover your backs and watch out for Snarg or anything that might come back through that entrance while the two of you can help our friends. Your fighting skills are better than mine, and I'll end up just blocking your way if I try to go ahead of you."  Elwood then slowly backs up to the middle of the room, mace and shield at the ready. He'll place himself so he can see the fireplace and both doorways on the north wall, and will be prepared to attack anything that may come from any of those 3 entrances.
Dreya
 player, 22 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 22:22
Re: Ambush at the Hunting Lodge
With a dagger strapped to each thigh, Dreya pulls one free of its sheath and stands ready to try and stab a bad guy should he get too close.