Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald.   Posted by Castle Keeper.Group: 0
Castle Keeper
 GM, 171 posts
Tue 17 Jan 2017
at 14:12
Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Gnarls suggests the party head to a certain abandoned warehouse along the docks.  The Orphans Guild operates out of it and jealously guards this territory from any encroachers.  Quite a few ignorant adults have come back from the warehouse with things cut besides their purse strings.

"When you get to the warehouse," Gnarls says, "stand just outside the east entrance and shout out that you want to speak with Henry.  Make sure to say you are with the Gambinis.  And don't do anything stupid that would make the Family look bad.  The last thing we need is every damn kid in the city trying to screw us over.  These bastards are small, but they don't play."
Seline
 player, 34 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 01:02
Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Seline would return to the tavern to meet with the rest of the group. "Sorry for the extensive delay there was a bit of work in getting us a starting point. The good news is I was able to locate the most probable head quarters for the orphans guild and way to attempt to make contact. With the orphans being a target I'm expecting that will be willing to part with information to help with our quest. I'm thinking we make contact with the Orphans and continue building the plan from. I was advised that we should tread with caution and respect the orphans as they in their own right can be very dangerous and I'd rather not get on their bad side. Thoughts?"
Dreya
 player, 136 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 01:19
Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
If there is time while those of the party, including Dreya, await information about finding Oswald or before our plan goes down, could Dreya quick stop at one place to buy something?  OOC: Let me know how much gold I should take off of my Character Details page.

Tugging the hood of her cloak around her face and making sure the hide scarf around her neck was SECURE, she would dart out into the bustling crowds of Rotter in search of a book store.  Her goal is to find two books.  Something like...

"The Debsters Dictionary: Common Words and Definitions"

And...

"An Anthology of Common Common Sayings and Phrases", by Erinstine Snoot.

Or something like that.  She would purchase such a finding, and try to make room in the confines of her small backpack to tote them around before she has to hand off her gear to whoever is going to hold them for her whilst she is being the bait.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:22, Wed 18 Jan 2017.

Elwood
 player, 97 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 04:49
Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
In reply to Seline (msg # 2):

"You're approach is a sound one.  I agree that we should let them know we're only there to help, and we expect no repayment.  Either Anthony or myself can speak wit them."
Anthony
 player, 36 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 03:26
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Seline:
Seline would return to the tavern to meet with the rest of the group. "Sorry for the extensive delay there was a bit of work in getting us a starting point. The good news is I was able to locate the most probable head quarters for the orphans guild and way to attempt to make contact. With the orphans being a target I'm expecting that will be willing to part with information to help with our quest. I'm thinking we make contact with the Orphans and continue building the plan from. I was advised that we should tread with caution and respect the orphans as they in their own right can be very dangerous and I'd rather not get on their bad side. Thoughts?"


Anthony listens carefully and then nods. "If you trust your sources, then I will not argue. I am perhaps not the best person to speak with orphans but will aid you in the conversation as needed."
Seline
 player, 36 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 20:59
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
"At this time I trust them as there has not been a reason given not to trust them and there is no profit in my demise yet. " Sitting down Seline continues on "Sorry it was late night last night, my head is still reeling a bit. As soon as we are ready I'd say we should head down to the warehouse, I'd rather do this in the daylight so I can see my surroundings. I also think it would be wise if we leave our weapons sheathed during talks and try to keep an unthreatening posture. I haven't worked much with Orphans but I can't imagine them being anything but skittish. So unless there is an objection shall we gather ourselves and head to the warehouse?"
Seline folds her hands on her lap and patiently waits for the other's input.
Cole Hiller
 player, 63 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 21:43
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Donning the gear of what may pass for the slavers seen about town, Cole stands next to Dreya.  Arms crossed across his chest, he nods his head to Seline, "Your slaver is here. Ready to depart at your command."

OOC: Cole will carry Dreya's extra gear. Also, if anything needs to be spent to assume the slaver look, let me know the amount and I will adjust his character details. Unless you don't want Cole looking like a slaver, then he will just be wearing normal stuff. I wasn't too clear what the final plan was.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:44, Thu 19 Jan 2017.

Dreya
 player, 139 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 22:03
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Although eyeing the chains warily, Dreya nods her head. With a big sigh, she says, "I am ready."

Then she offers Hugh a shaky smile. "At least I won't be alone as bait. Thank you."
Elwood
 player, 100 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 22:08
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Elwood hangs his mace on his belt and slings his new wooden shield across his back.  "I'm ready to proceed."
Castle Keeper
 GM, 174 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 22:28
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
In reply to Cole Hiller (msg # 7):

Don't worry about the cost for ordinary in-town supplies (like a new slaver wardrobe).  But, are you sure you want to approach the Orphan Guild dressed like a slaver?
Cole Hiller
 player, 64 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 22:39
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
In reply to Castle Keeper (msg # 10):

If those aren't the plans Cole will go dressed as himself. I am unclear as to what the final plans are, so Cole will be in whatever gear suits the plans decided on.
Dreya
 player, 142 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 22:52
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Dreya will tag along with everyone, and will be prepared to pose as bait when the time comes.
Anthony
 player, 37 posts
Fri 20 Jan 2017
at 02:39
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Anthony actually changes into less-dressy-than-normal clothing and goes with the others.
Seline
 player, 38 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 18:42
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Seline looking around at the group watching them get their gear together "it looks like we are ready to head off to the warehouse let's see what information we can gather." with that as soon as everyone is ready Seline would lead the group to the Warehouse and announce herself, her ties to the Gambini family and request to speak with Henry.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 177 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 20:06
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
The party wends its way through the twisted streets of Rotter toward the docks.  You pass a small troop of orcs marching through the streets to a remarkably vulgar tune about the secret desires of human women.  A palanquin carried by dwarves runs past you.  A veiled face peeks at you around its curtain for a moment before the dwarves head around a corner.  The mouth-watering scent of fish stew drifts across the street as you work your way past the legendary Golden Eel tavern.  A couple would-be thieves casually lurking at the entrance to an alley take one look at you and walk away, clearly seeking easier prey.  A crier shouts out the news of the day, "City elections to be held in 2 months' time.  All landowners are required to register to vote.  Followers of the Pain God announce the building of a new temple on Old Cobble Road.  Skilled and menial labor needed at fair wages.  Lightning has continued to strike the wizard Hyrumph's tower.  It has been condemned by order of the Buildings and Grounds Department.  The City Guard has been instructed to impose severe sanctions against trespassers.  Lord Axeton offers a reward for information leading to the recovery of certain items of value.  A parade for the Festival of ..."  The crier's voice trails off as you pass out of hearing.

The warehouse is not difficult to find.  It is flanked by lots filled with the charred ruins of burned buildings.  The warehouse itself is scorched in numerous places.  Its escape from the fire was miraculous given the devastation to the adjoining lots.  All of the entrances to the warehouse are boarded up except for one doorway near the northwest corner.  It is apparent there was once a door there, but it is missing just like most of the lower windows.  The building is shadowed by other warehouses across the street so that it is impossible to see inside the building without entering.

When Seline announces herself, there is a pause, then a child's voice shouts out from the darkness.  "What does a Gambini want with the Orphans?  This isn't your territory."
Anthony
 player, 40 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 20:19
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Anthony takes in this neighborhood with a pretty good poker face, though one can tell from his stiff demeanor that he is not quite at ease here. He looks to Seline to carry the conversation when addressed by the child's voice. (He had seen and heard too many illusions to assume it was, in fact, a child, however probable that was.)
Dreya
 player, 144 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 00:52
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Well, Dreya thinks the source of the voice is of course from a child. Leaning out from behind the cleric and ranger, she peers into the shadows.

Ooh! She liked younglings!

With a beaming smile, she waves toward the darkness from whence the sound came.
Seline
 player, 39 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 01:02
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Standing within the middle of the street, her hands in plain sight, Seline replies, "I wish to simply talk with the hopes of reaching an outcome that will benefit both of us. My friends and I wish to make the city a safer place for all including the children, those with and without families. I'd rather not announce the details to the whole city, though, so if we could speak without me shouting at a warehouse, I would appreciate it."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 01:09, Mon 23 Jan 2017.

Elwood
 player, 103 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 02:05
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Elwood waits patiently for a response to Seline's request.  He is ready to lend his hand in the negotiations if Seline requests it.
Cole Hiller
 player, 65 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 02:10
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Silently, Cole stands by waiting to see where the negotiations go.
Castle Keeper
 GM, 178 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 14:13
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
A girl's voice calls out, "Step inside.  No weapons in hand or we'll gut you."
Anthony
 player, 41 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 14:29
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Anthony bows at Seline. "Ladies first," he says politely.

This situation brought back bad memories for him. He tried to suppress those as he followed Seline in.
Dreya
 player, 145 posts
 Level 2 Druid
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 16:49
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Dreya will follow everyone else in, her hands void of any weapons.
Elwood
 player, 104 posts
 Human Cleric, 2nd Level
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 17:25
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
Elwood steps inside, hands empty and at his sides.
Seline
 player, 40 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 18:07
Re: Chapter 3 - The Search for Oswald
With her hands not on her weapons Seline heads into the warehouse first advising her group to follow at a short distance in case there is an issue. Stepping in the warehouse Seline would stop to look around and if seeing no immediate threat she would motion to the rest of her companions who are standing outside it's safe. As she proceeds a bit further into the warehouse Seline in a calm voice would say "Please keep in mind that we mean no harm and would much enjoy just a peaceful talk."