Core City.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 64 posts
Fri 20 Jan 2017
at 03:02
Core City
The capital city of the planet Core is a sprawling gem.  Its rulers have promoted artistic flair in the architecture and have fought hard against decline.  The artificial limitations on technology that the Star God has imposed have provided a challenge, motivation for innovation within those limits for faster ground transportation capable of moving large numbers of people.  Fusion powered mag-lev trains zoom about while ground cars hum on the streets.

Corporations have built majestic towers in the center of town, spiraling out in six major hubs.  Everywhere there is the bustle of a thriving economy, culture, and relative freedom.

Just below it all, though, the air is tinged with a palpable tension.
Django Blint
 player, 189 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 23:37
Core City
Django's hover cycle comes to a stop. He manages to find a parking garage of sorts. It's more of a revolving elevator than anything. He steps off of his bike, and punches in a key code used by law enforcement, 2187. A small buzzer sounds off, and a gate creeps across the opening to the parking spot. A slight hum starts are the hover bike is swallowed down below the streets. A display window above the keypad illuminates with [B2-1984], a location marker for when he goes to retrieve the bike. He isn't quite sure yet though if he'll actually be able to come back for it. His mind races from thought to thought, plot to plot, scheme to scheme. "I could lead a whole battalion a' troopers to em'. They'd haul em in, I'd collect my bounty, and then I could call it a day fer a while. But fer what end? What if Kerr's right? Son of a banshee sure pretties up a story an' makes it believable. He coulda kilt me though. There is that. I coulda been a blood an' grease spot on th' bottom a' that hole, and he coulda gone on about his business. Instead he saves people. Feeds em. Arms em, and sends em on their way. That don't add up to my end a' the narrative. That ain't in character with any fugitive I ever saw. Thems the actions of a man who ain't got no reason to feel like he's done no wrong. An' truth be told, I can't prove nothin' on em. Hell, if anythang, he deserves a medal.

Django picks up his pack from the ground. He realizes he's been standing in the same spot staring off into space. He steps over the side of the walkway where he's been standing, and pulls out his datapad. He pulls up a map of the city streets, and after a moment finds the building he's looking for. It sits five blocks way. The city blocks are massive, but even on foot it wont take him very long to get there. He starts walking, still lost in his thoughts. "I can't just walk through the front door. Cameras'll pick me up an' ID me too quick. Still though, it'll take em' a while to figure out why I'm here. I wonder if there's a ventilation shaft somewhere".

Django presses on towards the data warehouse, nervously. "I ain't never seen no harm in bein able t' fly. An it ain't like if Vexember is removed from th' picture, thangs'll just go ta' poodoo. Sure th' government boys'll be upside down, but that don't change who's good and who's bad I reckon. The law'll be preserved one way or another, folks'll always find a way to have some sorta order. Despite folks like me reluctantly wreckin' it temporarily I guess".

Clouds all but obscure the low hanging sun. Thunder rolls in the distance.

Django decides to look for any sort of ventilation ducts he can. He's certain there will be some form of security at the entrances at the very least. If he can find one, he plans to lay low in a cantina until the sun sets further and he's under cover of darkness.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:36, Wed 25 Jan 2017.

Narrator
 GM, 65 posts
Wed 25 Jan 2017
at 03:05
Core City
Django finds several vents leading into the vast complex in question.  Security is all mechanical, no humans.  Place cased, Django finds a spot to relax and plan.  Just after the waitress leaves his drink, Django's com cirrus with a message from Reiner.
Django Blint
 player, 191 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 00:02
Core City
Django checks hit datapad and reads the message sent to him by Virgil. "Oh dang" he thinks to himself. "Well if that don't put a nail in the coffin I don't know what will. I guess that settles it for me then. Kerr, Guri, Star Demons... it's all true. The brass' reaction alone would make me raise an eyebrow. Put it in context, and it sounds like bureaucratic c.y.a. business". Django swirls his drink around in his glass before taking a long sip. He writes a reply to Virgil and sends it. After an hour and a bit more liquid refreshment, he pays his tab and heads back out into the street. He goes over to get a better look at the first duct he spotted. Now that it's darker, he can steal closer to inspect it.
Narrator
 GM, 66 posts
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 02:58
Core City
The vent has a simple security screen with a keypad.  No biometrics or other complicated systems are evident.  It's likely that this is so that maintenance crews can access it for inspection and cleaning that robots can't do.  Whether it leads to sections of the building useful to Django's mission is impossible to tell from here.
Django Blint
 player, 192 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 04:24
Core City
Django decides to venture close to the main entrance of the warehouse and continue his sizing up of the area.
Narrator
 GM, 67 posts
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 02:08
Core City
The building is a lot more complicated than the word 'warehouse' would imply.  It is a complex building filled with office spaces in front and government storage lockdown in the rear.  The offices house various government agencies, mostly those that would be attached to storing sensitive material and information.

The front door is guarded by two government Protectors, men in heavy armored vests with what is essentially military-grade weaponry, though officially there is no military since there is no other nation to fight.  The door itself is a huge double affair made of armored transparent metal.  It is big enough to fit a large armored hover transport through.  Inside, a vaulted ceiling allows light to shine down on about ten stories worth of railed walkways.  It's an austere, but pretty architecture.  There are windows on the outside, but none on the first floor.  They are also made of the transparent metal.
Django Blint
 player, 193 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 04:42
Core City
Django rubs the stubble on his chin. "Well, that settles that route then", he thinks. He heads back to the vent duct he found, and starts collecting dust from the ground. He takes it in his hand and gently blows the dust on the keypad, to see if any sticks to finger prints on the keypad.
Narrator
 GM, 68 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 12:06
Core City
It seems fortune favors Django.  The shaft must have received recent service as the dust reveals 3 keys with dust clinging to them in very clear fingerprint patterns.  The numbers are 6, 4, and 9.
Django Blint
 player, 194 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 22:45
Core City
Django punches in "4996" and waits.
Keypad
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 03:44
Core City
The unit chirrups, beeps, then gives a raspberry bleet.  A red light flashes and then nothing.

This message was last updated by the GM at 03:44, Wed 01 Feb 2017.

Django Blint
 player, 195 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 00:47
Core City
Django shrugs and punches in the numbers in the order he saw them. "6. 4. 9."
Keypad
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 03:45
Core City
The unit waits for almost ten seconds, then chirrups, beeps, and gives a raspberry bleet.  A red light flashes and then nothing.
Django Blint
 player, 196 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 03:11
Core City
Django continues to try, punching in 4, 6, and then 9.
Keypad
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 03:26
Core City
The keypad delays again before giving the same sounds.  This time, however, the red flashing is faster and doesn't go off.
Django Blint
 player, 197 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 03:33
Core City
Django high tails it from the air duct, assuming there's been some sort of security alert. He puts himself in a vantage point to watch the front door where the human gaurds are, to see if they'll respond.
Narrator
 GM, 70 posts
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 03:41
Core City
The guards at the front of the building don't move at all.
Django Blint
 player, 198 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 23:43
Core City
Seeing the guards remain stationary, Django decides to creep back to the vent's access and try a different approach. He approaches the area slowly, scanning for anyone around.

He thinks for a moment, and a face pops in to his mind. "Darym Jarko. I bet that scoundrels still skulking around this city somewhere. Might not even be a scoundrel anymore, if he was being honest with me about going straight" thinks Django.

He pulls out his datapad and starts going through a list of contacts. "There you are".

He selects the contact and follows a link to a personal messenger application.


  • Long time no speak...............sent 2 minutes ago

  • You still alive?....................sent 2 minutes ago

  • I need a favor.......................sent 1 minute ago

  • It's Django. I
    know you're seeing
    this.................................... sent just now


Django taps his foot impatiently, waiting for a response.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Fri 03 Feb 2017.

Darym Jarko
Fri 3 Feb 2017
at 13:15
Core City
HEY BLINT.  SORRY.  WAS IN THE REFRESHER.  WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?
Django Blint
 player, 199 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 3 Feb 2017
at 13:24
Core City
HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM THE DATA DISTRICT? I HAVE SOMETHING HERE THAT REQUIRES YOUR SKILLSET.
Darym Jarko
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 01:45
Core City
20 MINS.  SEND ME YOUR COORDINATES AND I'LL BRT.
Django Blint
 player, 200 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 01:58
Core City
Django sends the info to Darym, and heads back to his vantage point to wait.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:36, Sat 04 Feb 2017.

Darym Jarko
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 22:35
Core City
Twenty three mintues later, Darym Jarko arrives at the appointed place.  He looks nervous and is scanning the area rapidly like he doesn't want to be there.
Django Blint
 player, 201 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 03:58
Core City
Seeing Darym show up, Django continues his datapad messaging. He doesn't approach Darym directly, so as to not draw suspicion from any potential eyes roaming around.

Auxiliary vent to your right. Slice it, get it open, and clear out. Do this, we're square.
Darym Jarko
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 12:55
Core City
Daryn looks down at his communicator after it beeps.  He reads the message, then does something fairly extensive to his communitcator.  After a few minutes, he puts it away and runs his hands through his thinning hair as he scans around for the vent.  Instead of heading for it, he moves away down the street and turns the corner.  A moment later, Django's communicator beeps.

Not sure what you've gotten yourself into, Marshall, but there are at least eight pairs of eyes on that grate right now.  I touch it, I'm back in the slammer.  You sure I can't open a different grate for you?  If its this building you need into, I can help you find another way in.  I'm not slicing that lock, though.
Django Blint
 player, 202 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 21:18
Core City
You're the subject matter expert. Get me in there. I don't tell you why, and as far as I'm concerned, you were never here.
Darym Jarko
Wed 8 Feb 2017
at 12:43
Core City
The slicer doesn't look around any more, just takes off down the street away from the vent.  He twists and turns through the busy streets until he arrives at a back alley filled with steam and litter.  Without waiting, he removes a large circular grate over by the wall of some older building and drops down.  The hole is hidden from the main thoroughfare behind several large trash receptacles and piles of garbage that have largely turned into mulch.
Django Blint
 player, 203 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 10 Feb 2017
at 12:20
Core City
Django leans against the wall outside of the alleyway and waits for Darym to finish his work.
Darym Jarko
Fri 10 Feb 2017
at 12:45
Core City
Darym pulls the grate up and motions Django down inside.  Once inside, he squats down in the muck, covering his mouth and nose with his shirt.  The smell is bearable, but it isn't pretty.  "Blint, I don't know what you are mixed up in and I don't want to.  These access tunnels are for infrastructure and lead right under the building you're trying to get into.  I checked the plans for the area registered with the city.  There's a data trunk located at the center of this warren.  Now, there's no access there, if data is what you're after, but the coolant system has an access hatch that doesn't do well with digital security stuff.  It's a physical lock, which means it doesn't have any alert system attached to it.  If you can get it open, you can get inside the inner computer core without being seen."  His whispered voice is raspy, an injury from his less law-abiding days.

He hesitates for a moment indicating there is something more.  After a few seconds, he shakes his head.  "I'm not gonna lie, Django.  There are security measures down here meant to compensate for the weakness in the entry security.  There are some robots down here that are old, like ruin-hunter grade.  They are smart, like us.  I don't know about their strength or armament, but from what I hear tell, they are more than sufficient to keep most thugs out.  You better have a reason worth dying for in here.  Otherwise...I'd pass."

He looks down the tunnel and then up at the hole before looking back at Django.  "We square?"
Django Blint
 player, 204 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 10 Feb 2017
at 23:20
Core City
"Yeah, we're square. Thanks fer the help, and thanks fer the info. Keep yer nose clean out there, will ya".
Darym Jarko
Mon 13 Feb 2017
at 01:19
Core City
The slicer nods and is gone leaving Django down in the stench and darkness of the sewer.

Django is at a T-branch.  There is a wide path straight ahead with dry walkways a meter above the sludge sitting in the channel in between.  The two branches left and right have two walkways as well, but they are only a few centimeters above the sludge.  There is a ladder leading up to the higher walkways.  There are no lights to speak of.
Django Blint
 player, 205 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 01:37
Core City
Using his lantern, Django lights his path, and decides to check a ways down the left path first. He has his energy pistol drawn in his main hand and carries the lantern in his off. He steps cautiously, taking care to try and make no sound as he uses the walkway rather than trudge and wade through muck.

Stealth - take 10

This message was last edited by the player at 01:38, Tue 14 Feb 2017.

Narrator
 GM, 71 posts
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 13:04
Core City
The passageway to the left continues on for some time.  It looks like it probably leads out into the rest of the city.  You do manage to sneak up on some vermin, which squeak and run off in the light.
Django Blint
 player, 206 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 13:42
Core City
Django decides to head back.to the "T" section and explore the right branch, moving in the same fashion.
Narrator
 GM, 72 posts
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 14:03
Core City
The right branch follows the flow of the slush from both other directions.  It travels for a bit then abruptly takes a shallow angle down as far as Django's torch illuminates.  It isn't that slick up this high.  The water in the channel flows faster, but it's being fed by two sources so the increased speed is only compensating for the double volume.  There is a faint, constant hiss coming from below.
Django Blint
 player, 207 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 14:18
Core City
Django continues forward to investigate the source of the hiss.
Narrator
 GM, 73 posts
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 17:24
Core City
As the corridor continues it's downward slant, the permacrete grows more and more slippery with whatever algae-like substance grows down here.  [Balance check DC 14 or fall and slide to the bottom.]
Django Blint
 player, 208 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 14 Feb 2017
at 17:51
Core City
As Django starts to slip he holds his arms out for balance and crouches slightly to lower his center of gravity.

12:49, Today: Django Blint rolled 14 using 1d20+3.  Balance check
Narrator
 GM, 74 posts
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 12:45
Core City
As Django makes his way down the slope, it grows ever more slippery.  However, aware of the issue, Django is able to brace himself for the descent.  At the bottom of the ramp, the walkway levels out to a platform that overlooks a central repository chamber.  The channel of sewer water pours over several waterfalls, which is what produces the hiss.  There are many ways out of here and ladders all over.
Django Blint
 player, 209 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 21:02
Core City
Django begins to search around and see if any of the ladders have placards, or if any kind of map is available.
Narrator
 GM, 75 posts
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 21:22
Core City
Most maps would be digital these days.  However, there are some small placards above each of the major tunnels.  They all lead to other parts of the city.  The tunnel/ramp Django came from is labeled 'Core City Repository'.
Django Blint
 player, 210 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 21:43
Core City
Django , reading the placards, backtracks up the ramp to try and find a way further up and in to the warehouse.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:54, Wed 15 Feb 2017.

Narrator
 GM, 76 posts
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 01:33
Core City
The only way left is the center path.  Getting across is not a problem since Django wisely took the far walkway up.  Turned out to be less slippery, too.  He climbs a short ladder to the upper walkway.  The rats here are nothing compared to the ruins.  They scurry away from the scant light.

[GM:  Roll spot.]
Django Blint
 player, 211 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 01:51
Core City
Django continues to looks around.

20:50, Today: Django Blint rolled 17 using 1d20+6.  Spot Check.
Narrator
 GM, 77 posts
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 03:01
Core City
Here the walls seem cleaner, the area well kept.  It is the cleanliness that gives the trap away.  Dust might have covered the scratch marks on the permacrete, but they stick out, plain as day.  It seems that two of the permacrete plates in the opposing walls slide out, perhaps to knock things in the water, perhaps to squish them between opposing plates first.  There is no visible pressure plate so there must be some kind of sensor array hidden in the passageway.

You could attempt to do a forward roll past the location [Tumble check: DC 15] or attempt to search for the sensor array and fiddle with it to make it past [Search check: DC 20].  Or there is always another way given enough time.
Django Blint
 player, 212 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 03:10
Core City
Not feeling very spry, Django opts to sniff out sensor array.

22:08, Today: Django Blint rolled 26 using 1d20+8.  Search Check.

It doesn't take him long to find his target.
Narrator
 GM, 78 posts
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 14:15
Core City
The system is not complicated, but there is an issue with its newness.  There is a communication stream that records whenever the trap is activated and also likely when it is disabled.  Even if Django were to cut the power, a signal would be sent to the rest of the system to that effect.

Another search reveals a camera on the far side.  It has not seen Django yet, but it would record him getting smacked by the trap or even rolling past it IF the trap activated.

The water below doesn't seem to be having any affect on the motion sensors or whatever sets off the wall trap.
Django Blint
 player, 213 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 14:21
Core City
Assessing the situation and weighing his options, Django looks down at the murky waste waters. "Poodoo..." he says aloud. He begins looking around for a way down that doesn't involve jumping. Going back down to the T branch, he finds a ladder leading down. He sighs heavily and descends down in to the cold and foul smelling stream.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:55, Thu 16 Feb 2017.

Narrator
 GM, 79 posts
Fri 17 Feb 2017
at 02:18
Core City
Django makes his way past the trap.  For a good fifteen minutes, he follows the channel with high walls on either side.  Through twists and turns and branches he makes various decisions, hoping it will lead him to his goal.

Then the high walls lower and he can step out onto permacreet again.  There is a wide room with a huge cylinder in the center.  The cylinder is covered in pipes, hoses, and wires.  The room is cold and wisps of frost occasionally puff from the column.

Experience says to look around before leaving the poodoo.
Django Blint
 player, 214 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 17 Feb 2017
at 23:15
Core City
Django pauses and takes a keen inventory of his surroundings without leaving the waters.

18:14, Today: Django Blint rolled 24 using 1d20+8.  Search Check.
Narrator
 GM, 82 posts
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 03:22
Core City
There is a series of infrared trip lasers scattered about the room, including across Django's path out of the sludge onto the floor.  Another reaches across both walkways to either side of the lawman.  The only reason he saw them at all was because he saw this before and the familiarity drew his attention when he stopped to gauge his path forward.

While Django assess the trip laser, there is a soft 'tink-tink' that comes from another hallway leading out of this larger room.  That hallway does not look like a sewer access.  The 'tink-tink' is getting louder as if something - or someone - is approaching on two legs.
Django Blint
 player, 215 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 05:00
Core City
As the tinking sound draws nearer, and suspecting one of the guard bots Darym warned about, Django crouches low in the water and dims the bullseye sight on his lantern. He readies his pistol and uses his low stature to duck under the infrared emitter. He makes his way as quietly as he can muster towards the central column, in an attempt to use it to hide behind.
Narrator
 GM, 85 posts
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 15:14
Core City
The sound approaches from the hallway then suddenly stops.  There is a soft whirring.  Stop.  Whir.  Stop.  Whir.

The sound continues, approaching the sewer canal.  It is, in fact, the sentry robot.  At the moment, its back is turned to Django.
Django Blint
 player, 216 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 17:33
Core City
Django gets an idea, and comes out from behind the pillar. He let's the water slosh a bit around him, not trying to keep quite. He yells out "Freeze! Core Marshalls!. He holds his gun up, but not pointed directly at the droid.
Sentry Robot
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 19:33
Core City
The robot whirls around, guns active, but it does not fire.  "Confirm identity."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:33, Tue 21 Feb 2017.

Django Blint
 player, 217 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 21:50
Core City
"Django Blint, Core Marshall 07th Class. I'm tracking a fugitive named Skye Walker. My last known intel placed her in this area. The fact that this place was sliced right in to tells me I'm on the right track. Now you identify yourself, I don't have time for this".
Sentry Robot
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 04:31
Core City
The robot whirs in thought for a moment, then all of its weapons return to standby.  "Officer Blint.  This is unit is designated as SR-47.  How may I assist you?"
Django Blint
 player, 218 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 20:01
Core City
"Well SR-47, you can start be leading me towards the data warehouse. That's Walker's target, and I have a plan to put a stop to her".
SR-47
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 22:32
Core City
SR-47 whirrs in thought again, perfectly still.  "Certainly, Officer Blint.  You are directly beneath it now.  This trunk is the main data trunk and coolant system.  Please follow me."  The robot turns without waiting and moves back down the hallway it first emerged from.

Around one corner it reaches a heavily sealed and armored door.  It raises its arm, which opens up at the hand.  A custom data jack extends and locks with the port in the door.  It twists back and forth as the right code is inserted.  The amount it takes to enter is longer than any Django has experienced.  Five minutes tick by with the robot still rotating the security node.
Django Blint
 player, 219 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 22:57
Core City
"You havin' problems or something?"
SR-47
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 23:14
Core City
"Judging by the lack of other possible targets for your query, it is 87% likely your query is directed at SR-47.  In that event, the answer is that this encryption is four-dimensional terraflop encryption.  Time is part of the encryption.  Though I am capable of processing the three-dimensional aspects much faster than this, I must also enter the security code at the precise time.  I cannot estimate the amount of time left because-"

The rotating stops and the code jack retracts.  "The sequence is complete.  Please follow me."  True to his word, the door slides up into the ceiling and SR-47 clanks through.  Immediately he climbs a stairway that switches back on itself four times before reaching another door.  Once again he extends his jack.  As the rotating interface begins to move, the door below hisses shut with an ominous thunk.
Django Blint
 player, 220 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 04:10
Core City
"This another one a' them 4D doors?".
SR-47
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 19:34
Core City
By way of answer, the robot opens the door.  It turns to Django.  "Is your destination the primary computer core room itself, or just the general zone?"
Django Blint
 player, 221 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 22:46
Core City
"Yeah, the primary core room. As my side objective from apprehending Walker, I have some secur'dy protocols I need to put in place to keep her out".
SR-47
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 13:08
Core City
The robot rotates to face Django.  "Officer Blint, you are not cleared for access to the core room itself."
Django Blint
 player, 222 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 21:19
Core City
Django sighs in an exaggerated way. "Look droid, ya get me as close to there as possible then. I'll figure out how to stop Walker when we're where ever that is. I'll do what I gotta do to gain temporary clearance as well. I ain't about to be held back from doin' my job".
SR-47
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 22:41
Core City
The robot's head swivels back and forth as if searching the room with it's optic sensors.  "Query.  What is a droid?"
Django Blint
 player, 223 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 22:47
Core City
"Old fashioned word for robot. Let's get moving.".
SR-47
Mon 27 Feb 2017
at 14:44
Core City
"I will update my vocabulary file."

SR-47 leads Django down the hall to a heavy door with the 'tink - tink' of its walk echoing down the mainly empty corridors.  It looks like it could take a serious beating.  There is a code box on front of it with biometric scanning interface.  "I must return to my duties below, Officer Blint.  Please apprehend the criminal as swiftly as possible."  The robot rotates and tinks its way back toward the sewer access.

The door has a sign on it:  Core Primary Data Trunk

Below that it has the customary: No Unauthorized Personell
Django Blint
 player, 224 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 13:12
Core City
Django studies the door for a moment and looks around to see if any prying eyes or cameras are about.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:12, Tue 28 Feb 2017.

Narrator
 GM, 95 posts
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 16:05
Core City
There are several cameras in the hallway recording multiple angles.  The door is bulky and could survive a pretty intense blast.  There is a data-jack interface for robots as well as biometric scanners for eyes and hands as well as a slot for an ID card.  It is likely that the robot interface is different than the others, but the others are probably used in tandem.

There are no humans around at the moment.
Django Blint
 player, 225 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 16:14
Core City
Django pulls out his data pad and starts going through his lists of contacts to see if he can recall anyone capable of giving him an edge on the situation.

11:13, Today: Django Blint rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  contacts check
Core City Employee
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 17:15
Core City
"Excuse me, sir!  Who are you?  What are you doing back here?"  The voice is of a young woman.  When Django turns around, she has a severe bun, is dressed in a business skirt to her ankles, flat shoes, and a thick blouse.  She carries a stack of flimsies, an optical pen, and a datapad.  Very bookish looking girl.
Django Blint
 player, 226 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 01:17
Core City
"I could ask you the same thang. Officer Django Blint, Core Marshalls" says Django with a flash of his badge. "I'm trackin a fugitive, and my trail's lead me here. Her path ends in proximity to this area. Now identify yerself, I got questions.".
Core City Employee
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 12:36
Core City
The young woman's eyes widen in surprise.  "Oh, Marshall!  I'm so sorry.  I didn't know an officer would be down in this area.  It's usually off limits, but if you are here to protect the data trunk."  She is rambling, but shakes her head to cut herself off.  "My name is Dabne, Dabne Paggerten.  I'm an analyst here, uh, C.C.G. Deputy Undersecretary of Records.  I would be honored to help."  In truth, she looks a little flustered.  Her face is flushed, she's breathless, and she keeps smiling at Django with a look of excitement most often reserved for teens meeting their favorite music icon in person.
Django Blint
 player, 227 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 13:25
Core City
Seeing the reaction, Django adjusts his tone slightly. "Maybe you can help me then. The fugitive I'm tracking, she's a crafty one. Got ahold of a stealth field generator a while ago, and has been givin' me the slip at every turn. I know she wants to get in to this here data room behind me, and she's sharp as a tack when it comes t' slicin' through security measures. I ain't had the time to gain my temp access to the space, but I do have the necessary programs on my data pad to add a layer of security to the system in there. That's government work for ya, they give you the tools to do tha' job and no direction to facilitate em', right? Command says it's gonna be at least a day before they can get my credentials sorted for access, but I have a firm feelin' I ain't got that long. She could be standing right next to us now and we'd never even know it".
Dabne Paggerten
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 20:49
Core City
Dabne's eyes go wide and she looks around for the invisible intruder.  She draws a deep breath.  "I'm not supposed to, but your badge is real.  I know because..." she turns red again.  "Well, I just support the Marshalls and all they do.  I know a little something about them is all."  Her words are hurried and embarrassed.  "C'mon, let's slip inside real quick before your fugitive has a chance."

She inserts a data stick into the slot and goes through a series of biometric scans before the door slides open.  Once inside, the door slides closed again.  Inside is a massive computer system that looks like some kind of cybernetic tree growing in the middle of the room.  "The terminal is on the other side of the trunk.  Use my id stick to log in and install your security."  She hands Django the stick.
Django Blint
 player, 228 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sat 4 Mar 2017
at 03:38
Core City
"Much obliged, Miss Paggerton".

Django obtains the id stick and goes over to the terminal to begin the work that Ker instructed him on.
Dabne Paggerton
Sat 4 Mar 2017
at 13:29
Core City
Dabne pulls out a personal communicator.  "I'm just going to call the threat in to my superiors."
Django Blint
 player, 229 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sat 4 Mar 2017
at 13:35
Core City
"Ma'am, I'm gonna have to ask that you don't do that. I suspect the fugitive to have friends in high places as well. The less they could potentially know about what we know, the better.".
Dabne Paggerton
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 02:45
Core City
"Oh, it's okay, officer.  I completely trust my superior.  This won't take long."  She continues to key in the connection sequence.
Django Blint
 player, 230 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 04:31
Core City
Django alters his tone a bit. "Dabne. That's the problem here. Too much trust with those in high places. Stop makin' that call and listen to me for a minute before I nab ya for obstruction a' justice. Yer riskin' blowin' my entire operation wide open".

23:30, Today: Django Blint rolled 15 using 1d20+5.  Intimidate Check.
Dabne Paggerton
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 05:55
Core City
Dabne's finger hovers over the keypad, but she closes it up instead.  "Alright, Marshall.  I...I understand."  The wonder and admiration in her face has fled, only nervousness remains.
Django Blint
 player, 231 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Mon 6 Mar 2017
at 04:45
Core City
Django continues his work, and tries to calmly talk to Dabne. "Look, I ain't tryin' to be harsh with ya. I get it. You got your job to do, an' I got mine. For this to all work out right though, you gotta work with me here now". His tone is more mellow again. He glances up at Dabne and makes eye contact for a brief moment, letting his face be soft. "Let me tell ya a quick story. One about bein' a lawman. There's three types of people in this world. The sheep, the wolves, and the sheep dogs. The sheep don't like the dog bein' around. He looks too much like the wolf. He reminds em' danger is out there, beyond the safety a' their fence. He has rules, and a method he operates, and that ain't always pleasant for the sheep. The wolf hates the dog too. He knows the dog is what stands between him and th' sheep. The dog is th' reason the wolf has to stay in the shadows, th' reason he's goin' hungry. The dog knows all a' this. He knows he's hated on both sides. But he stands his watch anyway. Despite bein' unwelcomed where ever he goes, he's ready at a moment's notice to stand guard over the flock, an' give up his life if he has to. That's just who he is". The console where Django works lets out three soft beeping noises, and the upload begins.

"I understand you're tryin' to be by the book. I understand that when you woke up this mornin' you prolly didn't think to yourself "Know what? I feel like breakin' protocol today. I feel like havin' everything I know shook up and turned around even". Believe you me, I know that feelin' exactly. I know as well I'm askin' some tall orders out of ya, and this all seems outta place. The way I operate though, it ain't for me. It's for us all. I take out the trash, and my methods'r.. well.. different".

This message was last edited by the player at 04:48, Mon 06 Mar 2017.

Dabne Paggerten
Mon 6 Mar 2017
at 05:19
Core City
Dabne nods again, this time with a small smile and a return of a small bit of the shyness and starstruck look from before.  She stands by quiet while the download is completed then smiles again as you step toward the door.  "What now, Marshall?"
Django Blint
 player, 232 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Mon 6 Mar 2017
at 13:36
Core City
"Well, seein' how I ain't supposed to be in here on account a' red tape and bureaucracy, I could use an escort outta here. Had some robot show me in an' I ain't quite sure which way is which right now".
Dabne Paggerton
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 12:43
Core City
Dabne nods and thinks for a moment.  "If we take you out the front door, you are just going to get wrapped up in all that bureaucracy.  I will take you to the back entrance.  Less people there."

She seals up the data trunk room and walks beside Django, leading him casually through the labyrinth of doors and halls.  Her conversation is casual as she asks about past adventures.  The way she comports herself, she could have been a spy.  No one even stops to question her.

At one point, the twists and turns and her behavior start to make Django's instincts twinge.  Something isn't quite right.  Gone is the starry-eyed, breathless wonder.  It's like she has completely transformed into a different personality, one of a trained operative skilled at misleading.  The question is, who is she misleading?
Django Blint
 player, 233 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 13:23
Core City
Django follows along in silence. "She's either leading me to someone, or dodging someone. And I have my doubts she's dodging someone. It's a miracle she even humored my lie. Could just be playing along to lead me to someone who'll actually give me a hard time" he thinks to himself.

"So where exactly you takin' me? Seems a awf'ly convoluted way t' get to a back door".

His inner monologue continues. "Danged fire code wouldn't allow for this hidden a way out"
Dabne Paggerton
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 13:32
Core City
On occasion she looks down at her datapad, which has a map on it.  At one point, Django is able to see small dots moving around, probably people, but the glimpse is brief.  "It's a big building with lots of people, Marshall Blint.  You aren't nervous, are you Marshall?"  Her tone is confident and playful and you get the distinct impression your are a ko'rat and she's a wild shar cat.
Django Blint
 player, 234 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 13:38
Core City
"Nah" is all he manages to reply.
Dabne Paggerton
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 14:15
Core City
Dabne finally brings Django to a panel in a wall that looks nothing like a door.  She turns to face Django and smiles before reaching out and opening a recessed panel.  The action reveals a hidden keypad that would be almost undetectable without specialized equipment.  Certainly it could not be seen by the casual observer.  Her fingers hover over the keypad and Dabne winks while giving Django an obvious dramatic pause.
Django Blint
 player, 235 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 14:46
Core City
Django does his best to maintain a poker face, while bracing himself to act if need be. "If she screws me over, or if this ends up being nothing, I'm bout to feel dumb either way" he thinks to himself.
Dabne Paggerton
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 17:28
Core City
Frowns as she hesitates, then laughs and shakes her head.  "You're no fun, you know that?"  Instead of punching in the code, she gets on her toes and gives Django a quick kiss on the cheek.  "I really did have a thing for you lawmen growing up."  She turns back to the keypad and enters the code.  The door slides open to reveal some kind of back alley.  After Django steps outside, just before the door slides closed again, the woman winks.  "Tell 'Ky' I said hello."
Django Blint
 player, 236 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 18:13
Core City
Django smirks as the last few inches of the door close. "Would've made this a whole heckuva lot easier if you wasn't cryptic" he says with a laugh, looking at the now closed door. Making sure his data pad is tucked in securely, he heads back to retrieve his hovercycle and begin the trip back to Anti Hill Ease.
Narrator
 GM, 99 posts
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 19:11
Core City
As Django rounds the corner to where his hovercycle is parked, he sees a large number of police vehicles surrounding it.  Officers and robots alike are canvassing the area, asking questions, and showing Django's picture.
Django Blint
 player, 237 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 7 Mar 2017
at 19:21
Core City
Django makes a quick about face and goes the way he came from, trying to put as much distance between him and the scene as possible. He searches for an area with a high concentration of civilians to blend in with.
Narrator
 GM, 101 posts
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 03:28
Core City
Django finds the crowd well enough, but there are officers everywhere.  A couple of them even look vaguely familiar.  It's as if the entire force in Core City has come out to hunt him.

[Roll Knowledge: Local - DC 18 to determine if Django can maneuver through the crowd and other officers well enough to not get spotted.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:28, Wed 08 Mar 2017.

Django Blint
 player, 238 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 11:41
Core City
Django begins to weave his way through the crowds of people.

06:30, Today: Django Blint rolled 14 using 1d20+6.  knowledge: local
Narrator
 GM, 102 posts
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 04:15
Core City
Django makes his way three blocks before he rounds a corner and comes face to face with an officer.  The man recognizes the Marshall immediately and his eyes go wide.

[Reflex Save vs. DC 16 to act/speak first.]
Django Blint
 player, 239 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 17:37
Core City
Django takes 10 + 6 for reflex

"What're you starin' at rookie? Move it" he commands, with a hand on the pistol at his hip.

13:36, Today: Django Blint rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  intimidate check.
Officer
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 17:46
Core City
The officer stammers and apology and hurries on his way.  As he turns away, he speaks into a com system on his lapel.  Because of the ambient noise of the crowded area, Django cannot hear what he says.

[You have time to completely disengage and try to disappear into the crowd again, or you get one action to prevent him from actually saying anything important if you attack.  Either way, they are going to know your position roughly, but each choice has its pros and cons.  Of course you may have your own idea that I have not considered.]
Django Blint
 player, 240 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 02:48
Core City
And disengage Django does, making a more hastened walk away from the direction of the officers he's seen. He attempts again to blend in with the crowds, and to find a place to lay low. the lower and/or seedier, the better.
Narrator
 GM, 105 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 14:45
Core City
Django manages to dissolve into the crowd and fade into obscurity long enough to get away from the mass of police.  Ten minutes afterward, he finds himself on an empty street in the darker side of Core City.  There is a local dive three blocks away, a place where Django has met some more questionable contacts for his work in the past.  If he can get there, maybe he can get out of the city safely.

"Django Blint."  The voice comes from the shadows of an alley ten feet away.  The voice is low and soft, meant to let the Marshall know he's there, not to threaten.
Django Blint
 player, 241 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 14:48
Core City
Django continues walking in the direction of the voice. "Go on an' say the name now while ya can, I don't plan on bein' attached to it fer much longer".
Shadowy Voice
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 14:51
Core City
"Stop.  I have a DL 94 extended barrel pointed at your chest.  You are a wanted man, Blint.  Warrant says dead or alive.  You're worth more alive, so don't make this hard on either of us."
Django Blint
 player, 242 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 17:01
Core City
Django stops and let's out a low whistle. "DL-94 eh? Tracker's gun. An' yer huntin' me? Tell me then. What am I werth? An' more importan'ly, what crock charges they put on me?".
Shadowy Voice
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 17:26
Core City
"Drop your firearms, Django.  The GZ and the rifle.  You won't get close enough to use that sword."  The DL-94 appears from the shadows as evidence.  It does have the modified long barrel on it.  "The charge is espionage, conspiracy with a terrorist, and suspicion of insurrection against the Star God."

That he gives you the charges says that this man is honorable, at least to some extent.  That narrows down which Marshall this might be, if he's a Marshall.  If he's a bounty hunter, that's a different list.

[Roll Contacts to possibly determine who this person is and get a data dump that Django would know about that person.]

[Roll either Profession or Knowledge: Modern Weapons - Ranged to get more information about the DL-94.]
Django Blint
 player, 243 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 17:46
Core City
Django removes his GZ pistols slowly and lays them at his feet, and then his rifle. His DL-44 energy pistol sits tucked in a pocket on the inside of his duster coat. He slowly raises his hands slightly above chest level. "While I 'preciate you not killin' me right away, that also tells me you most likely got electro-stun rounds loaded, and you don't plan on killin' me no how. What makes you so sure I can't close that gap and leave you missin' yer trigger finger?". It's a weak attempt to try and psych out his opponent, and Django knows it. At this point Django is just trying to buy himself a few more moments to think.

13:43, Today: Django Blint rolled 11 using 1d20+5.  intimidate check
Shadowy Voice
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 19:57
Core City
"Turn around.  On your knees.  No need to find out what kind of rounds I have in here."
Django Blint
 player, 244 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 21:27
Core City
Django starts to turn as instructed. "Alright, alright. You got me man. Mind if I at least have a smoke while you cuff me? It's gonna be a while before I get another chance at one".

17:16, Today: Django Blint rolled 19 using 1d20+4.  Diplomacy check
Shadowy Voice
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 11:23
Core City
The voice pauses, then sighs heavily.  In that sigh and in the tone that follows there is something of respect for Django, a kindredness of a fellow marshall perhaps, but still not a voice Django can place.  "Alright, Blint.  I've got time.  No tricks, though."

A black-gloved hand extends out of the shadows, just to let Django know he's serious.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:20, Fri 17 Mar 2017.

Django Blint
 player, 245 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 16:38
Core City
Django slowly lowers a hand to retrieve his lighter and smokes. He lights his cigarette and goes to put his lighter back in his pocket. He places a hand in his duster's breast pocket, whips out his energy pistol, spins his upper body around and fires off a shot at his captor's gun. The shot misses the desired target by two feet. Django still kneeling, tenses up. "Aww damn..." he quietly mutters. The freshly lit smoke hangs loose on his lips.
Narrator
 GM, 106 posts
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 16:57
Core City
A series of blue energy shots slam into Django as soon as the words are out of his mouth.  Everything goes black.
Some Time Later...
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 19:05
Core City
Django stirs and his eye blink open.  As things come into focus he realizes he's back in his own place, which of course has been completely ransacked.  The date is barely two days after his foray into the sewers.  The time...too early in the morning.  The local star won't even have risen yet.
Django Blint
 player, 256 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 02:47
Core City
Django sits up and checks to ensure all of his belongings are with him, especially his energy pistol and data pad.
Narrator
 GM, 112 posts
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 03:38
Core City
The equipment he had on him is in a bag near his bed.  It all checks out functional and undepleted.  In fact, a longer examination of the home indicates nothing was taken at all.
Django Blint
 player, 257 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 10:48
Core City
He continues his search around his apartment, looking for anything additional that wouldn't normally be there.

Search Check - Takes 20
Narrator
 GM, 113 posts
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 12:25
Core City
Other than the mess, the apartment is clean.
Django Blint
 player, 258 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 22:55
Core City
Django decides to try and find if his hover bike was impounded or not. He'll try to be low key on the streets, but he's keenly aware that he'll almost certainly be watched the entire time as well.
Narrator
 GM, 115 posts
Thu 23 Mar 2017
at 03:12
Core City
Django finds his hoverbike locked down in its usual place just outside his apartment.  It seems in working order.  Even that temperamental dampener seems to be malfunctioning the same.
Django Blint
 player, 259 posts
 Human
 Gunslinger
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 01:02
Core City
Django gives his gear one final check, before saddling up to make the long trek to Ant Hill Ease. He plans to push on as far and fast as he can, to try and avoid any potential tails. He doesn't figure on having anymore business in Core City for now, on account of having the data requested, and since he doesn't know where the rest of the group will be at on their mission, he wants to be quick.