Part One: If you Wish.   Posted by The Genie.Group: 0
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 14 posts
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 17:29
Part One: If you Wish
"Oh really," a sly smile forms across his face "We actually have a lot of the newer issues of Strange coming into the shop I work at. Now that I think about it, we may even have that particular trade."

He nods to the returning bin that Lucy has just placed her books in. Pausing for a moment and then looks up to see if he has enticed a possible customer.
Kaylee Peabody
 Bored Librarian NPC, 2 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 01:22
Part One: If you Wish
The librarian sighed as the guy's attention was turned away. It was too early for these... enthusiastic customers, doing whatever it was they were doing. "I'll sign you up for a junior readers membership for now. It's capped at six book rentals at a time. Junior readers can upgrade to a regular membership after a month, as long as there are no issues with late returns." She placed a form and a pen on the desk.

The old book sat lonely on the carpeted floor for the moment. It was thick enough to trip anyone who wasn't looking where they were going, but otherwise didn't seem to be attracting attention.
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 15 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 01:38
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi's head jerk's back to attention when he hears Kaylee say "Junior".

"Oh but I'm not a junior see I am actually twenty.... ", His voice dies off as he observes the librarian doesn't really care. She has already made her way back to the large front desk. He lets out a sigh and nods to Lucy before starting in on his form. As he puts pen to paper he feels his pocket buzz.
He looks down to his pocket to see he has got a text from his roommate/boss. Something he can probably reply to later. Looking back up from his phone he notices the book laying on the floor.

Gorbi steps out from behind the table and slowly extends a hand to pick it up from the ground,"Excuse me miss but did you drop your book."
Laine Henrix
 Underachiever, 3 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 17:34
Part One: If you Wish
The Shooting Star Library had been one of Laine's favorite spots to come and relax for 5 years. He was off today, and had decided to come in and browse the stacks. He stepped through the front doors, briefly registering the others already present that he could see, and wiped his feet carefully before walking towards his favorite table. His dingy grey coat looked too old to be worn, with torn hems and strips of cloth missing, but it kept him warm and he was too stringent with his finances to purchase a new coat until this one literally fell apart.

He had a laptop bag slung over his shoulder which was bulging with too many objects, but he stopped at the librarians desk and dropped several books into the return slot before turning and heading deeper into the library. He passed a table piled with books and stopped, examining them. History books, mostly, intermingled with what seemed to be historical fashion. Not subjects he found particularly rousing, but if it floated someone else's boat, so be it. He picked up one of the books, something about geisha in japan during World War 2. Surprisingly not Memoirs of a Geisha, but an actual historical text. He skimmed it, glancing up and down a couple of the photos curiously before placing it back and picking up another book. The French Revolution. It seemed like every other page had pictures of someone being guillotined.

He stood there for a couple of minutes, skimming through the books on the table one by one, before deciding to take a seat and read them. Somebody had just left them sitting there, after all. There was no point in letting them go to waste.
Kapua Quetzal
 Natural Beauty, 4 posts
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 02:35
Part One: If you Wish
Ding... ding... ding... dong... Four o' clock. The door opened right on schedule, just like every day. Presumably the delay from school being out was long enough to allow stopping for a snack on the walk over here, a presumption backed up by the sipping of the last of an orange drink in a clear plastic cup, the same kind of cup that went into the recycle bin by the librarian's desk every day at 4:05, right after the single book was carefully returned.

The librarian knew the white-haired teen well - or, rather, knew the face well, not the person behind the face. It's not like a lot of talking was done. In fact, the librarian never heard a word aside from brief and uninteresting answers to direct questions. A name, for one - Kapua.

The library was busy today. Kapua seemed a little thrown off, soft eyes flickering from one body to another. Was there an event going on? No... not one that had been advertised, at least.

No, disregard the fuss, just look for a book, don't worry about the odd faces, the inquisitive eyes... it didn't matter who would stare, just look for a book and leave...

Maybe there were new ones?

Delicate fingers traced through the stack of newly sorted books, searching for a title that might intrigue, a page that might snag a passing fancy. Most of the books here had been looked through, one new one read every day, memory filing away each story to be thought on the next day at school.

Check out a book, go home, do homework, read, sleep, wake up and go to school, the cycle was endless - but for the fact that this was senior year. No, don't think on that yet, Kapua, focus on your books. They call to you to be read. Thoughts of graduation can leave, vanish, focus on the world in the moment.

Ah, what's that?

A book with no title, lying on the floor. Someone was careless. A book shouldn't be treated with such disrespect, for it was a story. A legacy. Go pick it up...

A careful touch is all it would take, but... something felt odd...

...

To those outside, all they would see was a figure freezing in place, staring as if lost in thought, one hand on the books and the other limp. Tan skin contrasted sharply with hair like moonlight. Piercing blue eyes lost in space... pretty sky blue gems, strung on a gold circle, resting on a sharply defined collarbone. Not a beautiful face, but an ethereal one. Awkward might be another descriptor, the way eye contact was avoided. A bookworm? Most likely. An introvert? Definitely.

Odd? Precisely.
The Genie
 GM, 9 posts
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 06:54
Part One: If you Wish
The visitors actions were quite varied for such a small crowd, with a reader, a pacer, and a browser among the shelves. Two minds and four hands overlapped however, as both Gorbi and Kapua's fingers went for the fallen book.

A pulse, like a shock-wave from a far off bomb ripped through the room. It wasn't violent, there wasn't even a sound, save for the unshelved books lying around the library flipping through themselves at a rapid pace, including the one in the hands of a pair. The pages moved, and then they stopped, right in the middle of the book, refusing to turn a single page more, like the book were cast of a solid mold.

The pages within described a wish, and the elements. Two words seemed to glow on the first page.

quote:
Wish

There was a time when humans controlled the elements. Like a dream or an idea, the mind gave shape to the surroundings. This was severed from the mere somatic because it was too hard to control. One singular part of the body remains connected to this RITUAL, the voice. Why is it so? Perhaps it is not specifically the voice, but some part of the mind; language, communication, some crossed nerve between that and whatever used to shape the world.

Nevertheless, the key to invoking this power is to speak our desires.


quote:

The Elements

All we are and all we want given form is made of the elements. They are as follows:

Fire: Not just the flame, the heat and energy that can be released in all of the material. The power, the destruction, the strength.

Wind: Each breathe we take. Change, flow, the weather above, constantly in motion

Water: The source of life, the rain above, the seas below. Fluidity, every beat of the heart.

Earth: The concrete, the building blocks, the known nature, unchangeable in nature, but reform-able.

Light: What can be seen, guidance, illumination. Surrounds and calls attention.

Darkness: Obscures, hides, the absence. Trick and beguile, calm and soothe.

Aether: Something beyond. Its true extent and nature is not known.

Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 16 posts
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 14:03
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi sits there shocked. He hadn't noticed the other hand that shot out to pick up the book. And before he could even begin to apologize, the books around him started flipping their pages. Caught off guard he fell backward, mouth agape as the scene played out around him. He stared around to see if someone was watching. As if they were on some sort of prank show.

But as soon as he started to search the books stopped. He turned around to the book on the ground. "I'm sorry for mistaking whose book this was mam...", His explanation took a pause. Initially, because he didn't know if he had wrongly assumed the gender of the person he was talking too. Secondly because as he began his apology his eyes drifted to the page. The text seemed rather simple in design, apart from the glowing words, but as he quickly scanned the book it took him by surprise. It seemed like something you would see out of a "spell book" that people try to sell you. In hopes, you would be foolish enough to try which Gorbi of course had. Instead, this book seemed more of a definition or an explanation than a recipe which piqued Gorbi's Intrest.

His interest slipped from the book and he looked over to Kapua. To see if he was as surprised as him.
Lucy Cambell
 Magic Seeker, 9 posts
Sun 18 Dec 2016
at 19:08
Part One: If you Wish
Lucy was about to respond to Gorbi when he had ran off to look at the book that fell on the ground. She figured it was probably not something for her to worry about too much in general, but she still nodded as he did so. Besides, it was probably better that he wasn't talking to her too much. He was like, a grown man and she was still a teenager. If he got too interested in her it would be kinda creepy. However, she had far more troubling things than an overeager comics fan as the pulse of energy seemed to flow through the entire library. The girl shuddered in surprise as the books were being turned to random pages, holding her hands above her head and looking for cover.

Was this an earthquake!? It was certainly something like that judging by how the books were literally flying off of the shelves. She had another momentary glimmer of hope that it was some sort of magical happening, but there was no way that was true! She groaned a bit and started to get up, rubbing her head. "Ah....that was um...crazy..." She said as she looked around the room for a few moments. She eventually walked over towards the strangely handsome brown skinned boy(?) and the comics lover. "Um...is everyone okay? That was um...really weird..." Perhaps thankfully for everybody in attendance, she did not glance down at the spellbook...at least not yet.
Laine Henrix
 Underachiever, 4 posts
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 17:57
Part One: If you Wish

This message was deleted by the player at 16:25, Thu 22 Dec 2016.

Kapua Quetzal
 Natural Beauty, 5 posts
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 21:56
Part One: If you Wish
Nevertheless, the key to invoking this power is to speak our desires.

What? No, no, it couldn't be... how did such a book end up in a regular library like this one? Kapua's eyes went wide as the text was registered, as it clicked that the book's pages were offering such... a wish? Really? Could it be that this was an actual book of magic? The flipping of the other books seemed to indicate as much, the odd feeling that raised hair on the back of your neck.

Gorbi got no confirmation as to whether or not he had misspoken in addressing Kapua as "ma'am", because not only was the teen's gender still unclear at second glance, but no words were addressed toward Gorbi as soft blue eyes gained an odd firmness that came from the deep, intent focus bestowed upon the book.

Instead, the world seemed to snap into action as Kapua reached for the ancient book, snatching it out of the reach of Gorbi before he might have a chance to grab the book; the speed and agility that one might expect from such a lithe frame, but the strength one wouldn't. Clutching it close, held tightly, the white-haired teen turned and fled towards the door, clearly intending to run away with the book.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Fri 23 Dec 2016.

Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 17 posts
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 23:36
Part One: If you Wish

This message was deleted by the player at 03:39, Sun 25 Dec 2016.

Kaylee Peabody
 Bored Librarian NPC, 3 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 02:05
Part One: If you Wish
The librarian watched stunned for a few moments as the mysterious teen took off with the book. It was her job to make sure people didn't run off with the books without checking them out, but fast as she was it seemed she wasn't very good at that job when the freaking paranormal happened.

The book did not seem to react further, yet, although it seemed it wouldn't snap shut for some reason, making it a bit unwieldy to run with.

OOC: If anyone wants to follow, roll Agility against Kapua (who should roll for any pursuer.). If anyone but Kapua fails, roll for perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:06, Wed 21 Dec 2016.

Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 21 posts
Sun 25 Dec 2016
at 03:48
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi sat there for a moment in shock. Half because of all the crazy stuff that was going on around him. The other half due to the fact that a teenager he hadn't heard a word from was now running away with this crazy new book Gorbi had just found. This realization didn't hit him until Kapua was already halfway to the door. He sprinted after the teen "HEY," He shouts, "Wait up, why are you running?" He bursts through the doors after him hoping to catch up to him before he gets too far down the street.

OOC: Got a 10 out of a d10 for an agility roll so....
The Genie
 GM, 12 posts
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 01:46
Part One: If you Wish
Kapua narrowly squeezes part the sliding doors as they slowly open at their approach, with Gorbi following slowly after. Between their speeds, it wasn't even a contest, but still there was something else to navigate before Kapua reached the sidewalk. Though there was an accessibility ramp to the sides, in front of the door, there were three large steps down; the stylobate and two stereobates that gave the library its Greek temple look.


OOC: Kapua, please roll for agility to get down the steps. Target 6

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:47, Mon 26 Dec 2016.

Kapua Quetzal
 Natural Beauty, 8 posts
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 02:00
Part One: If you Wish
Duck, dodge, towards the exit, glance back at the pursuer, slip through the doors... steps! Don't forget about the steps! Kapua took a flying leap over the steps, clear familiarity with the terrain allowing the runaway to clear all three without so much as touching them. On the sidewalk now, Kapua dug in and, heels flying, began heading away from the library, book held close.

OOC: 19:54, Today: Kapua Quetzal rolled 3 using 1d10. Made it.
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 23 posts
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 14:08
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi finally gets out the doors of the library only to see the teen has made it to the streets. This kid is fast Gorbi thinks to himself as he watches the teen sprint off. I wonder where his headed. Gorbi begins to chase after him again this time focused on the path the teen is taking.

OOC: I got an 8 out of a 1d8...
The Genie
 GM, 14 posts
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 22:15
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi somehow managed to lose sight of the small kid and the big book somewhere along the sidewalk. Two words seemed almost ingrained in his eyes as the desire to find the book continued throbbed momentarily in his head. "Wish, Speak"

The words were echoing from the book without direction, unfollowable, yet permeating everything like a scent of smoke in the air. Even back in the library, where none had seen the pages, the words echoed out in a whisper "Speak... Wish..."

No where was this silent yell louder than the road Kapua escaped to. The book throbbed ever so slightly, the prize seeming to acknowledge and respond to the desire that led the child to seek it, and even steal it.
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 24 posts
Tue 27 Dec 2016
at 01:42
Part One: If you Wish
The word's echoed in Gorbi's mind. The upset of him being outdone by a such a small, frail thing helped burn the words into his head. As if almost in spite he whispered the word Appear to himself. Knowing this was a foolish hope that the book would suddenly show it's location he turned around and head back into the library. He slowly made his way back up through the stairs and through the doors.

He turned to the librarian and muttered "Sorry your book got stolen." He returned to his seat and started again on his Junior Application. Perhaps in this new library, he would find something as interesting as that new glowing book ... though he doubt it.
Lucy Cambell
 Magic Seeker, 12 posts
Tue 27 Dec 2016
at 15:11
Part One: If you Wish
Lucy looked at the chaos erupting around her. Just what in the world was going on here!? First there was all of the weirdness with the earthquake and everything, and now there was a book thief! But there was something else about that book...it didn't seem normal. It almost seemed. No way! There was no way it was actually magic! And what was that guy, no, girl, er, um, person thinking! Stealing from a library!? Who did they think they were!? That was just wrong no matter what the book was. Lucy sometimes had ideas. Swells of heroic thinking that erupted in her mind...even when they were rather terrible ones. Most of the time she suppressed these urges, but what kind of person would she be if she just let someone steal a book right before her eyes? She cared about this library after all, she was angry even when people returned them late! There was no way she was just going to let this one slide! She took a deep breath and nodded to the Librarian. "Alright...I'm going to go after them!" She said before the girl dashed out of the door.

"Hey! You! Wait! Where are you going!?" She said, hopefully getting the man (or girl?) to just slow down already. It was not worth doing this! "J-just take the book back and everything will be fine! I promise!" She was making a probably futile appeal to logic..but somebody had to do that right? Either way, she wasn't going to let something like that happen on her watch!
Kaylee Peabody
 Bored Librarian NPC, 4 posts
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 03:02
Part One: If you Wish
The librarian just blinked a couple of times. "Ummm... Not your fault. It wasn't even labeled yet, so..." She didn't seem to be too broken up about it, but then again, was it even a good idea to gave some crazy mystic book at work? "So this isn't some sort of prank show...?"

The evidence continued to lean in the favor of actual magic, since the moment after Gorbi made his wish, a small light started to emanate from the book. It wouldn't be hard for Gorbi, Lucy, or anyone else to see the book, as the glowing rectangular silhouette permeated the walls and anything else between the group and the book.
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 25 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 04:01
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi finishes up his application and hands it into Kaylee. The whole time his mind focused on the amazing events that had happened. As if going through the motions he explores the shelves of the library. Without rhyme or reason until twenty minutes later he realizes that he has no idea where in the library he is.

As he regained his consciousness from his wandering state he shook his head to get rid of the eye floaters that plagued his vision. He looked around and realized that one still seemed to be there. No matter how he moved his head or how much he rubbed his eyes it seemed to stay fixed in a location. His mind began racing for answers. He started to walk down the aisle and by doing so notice that the light kept its location. "I must be losing it" Gorbi muttered to himself. As he stared into the light his mind still searched for answers.

"I wonder if it is involved with the book," Gorbi thought, "I mean only so many magical things can happen in a day, can't they?" He left the library and gave a short wave to the librarian as he left. "I hope your day gets better." He announces as he exits the building, "I'll probably be back sometime this week to get an actual library card." He jogs down the stairs as he makes his way to the bright light in his vision.
Kapua Quetzal
 Natural Beauty, 9 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 14:45
Part One: If you Wish
Having lost the pursuers, or so it appeared, Kapua ducked around a few more corners and sat down in an alleyway to look at the open pages of the book. Wish... Speak... Was that it? Was that all that was needed to activate this magic? Careful, now, pick your words carefully, make sure the book understands... wait, why was it glowing?

As the book started glowing, Kapua, not realizing it could be seen through the walls of the alley, focused back on the urge to speak a wish. It was obvious, really, just do it, calm your fluttering nerves... "Please... please make my mother well and don't let her fall sick again."

While this was said quietly, out of fear that someone else would see the weirdo in the alleyway talking to a book, it wasn't whispered, and so if Gorbi was close enough at the time it might be audible to him - or anyone else, for that matter.
The Genie
 GM, 17 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 18:28
Part One: If you Wish
When Gorbi made his wish, the book had lit up with a guiding yellow light. When Kapua spoke, the glow changed to blue, then gray. Tiny droplets of water appeared in the air, dancing around in the light, then floated off to the sky in the direction the child last saw their parent. Each drop vanished in the air as they left, but their presence hung over the area, transparency, imperceptibility...

The stiff book went slack in Kapua's hands, no longer held still on one page. The stuck page flipped once in the natural breeze of the alley, revealing the next pair of parchment sides in the tome. The glow continued on though.

quote:
Attunement

Once the powers of the mystic are witnessed, the body quickly adjusts. After being attuned to the forces of magic, one may see the individual elements that work together to create a wish. Furthermore, one may eventually be able to perceive the existence of other presences traditionally believed to be "supernatural".

Some individuals are thought to be born with the potential for this type of attunement, but it seems that it may be triggered to the same extent in any individual immediately present to a sudden surge in magic.

This puts into play a conundrum. How does one invoke a ritual, when the presence of a ritual is needed to be attuned enough to invoke a wish?


quote:
Core

In order to reliably display enough magic to cause attunement, a core large enough to automatically create rituals is needed.

A core of magic can be described as a mixture of elements created from the results of a spell. Physically a core can be nearly anything; a place, an object, even a person. Indeed, living beings can in their own way be considered cores made up of all seven elements, though the elements of physical cores cannot be readily added or subtracted without the use of a specifically ordered ritual. Instead, the pure elements typically unite to create a new core.

Once pure elements are united, they continue to sustain themselves in the core until the spell is broken or physical form wears out, releasing the energies.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:35, Fri 06 Jan 2017.

Lucy Cambell
 Magic Seeker, 14 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 22:22
Part One: If you Wish
Lucy huffed and puffed, her eyes widening as she saw the frankly bizarre sights before her. She could see the book! Glowing! Like she knew just where to go to get it! Before this had just been her trying to do something heroic, but now it was something more! Something so much more! This definitely wasn't just some earthquake or freak storm! This was magic! Real magic! Like in all of her stories! She wasn't about to let it get away from her just because one boy (girl?) was being selfish about it! That book deserved to be left in the library where she er, everyone could get their hands on it! She dashed faster and faster, desperate to catch up with the boy before he..used all of the magic? Was that how it worked? Like mana points in a game maybe? She couldn't be sure, certainly not now.

Eventually she turned the corner, her eyes widening as she saw the remnants of the magical phenomena in the area, the strange magic and sights. She panted and rested her hands on her knees as she looked over to Kapua. She was so astonished and excited about what was happening that she could not even muster the shock and mental presence to be angry at them yet. She grunted and looked over to him. "You...how did you do that? Was that...m-magic?" She said, her eyes widening in confusion...but also having a rather spirited air to them. It was almost as if they were shining with excitement.
Gorbi Kobayashi
 Dreamer, 27 posts
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 23:22
Part One: If you Wish
Gorbi had been jogging after the glowing light and soon figured it had to be an actual location since it sat at a fixed point in his view. The light had changed color a little while back but he could still follow it. He turned the corner. Before he saw the young girl from the library and a scrawny teen. The light had changed color a little while back but he could still follow it. "So it did work." Gorbi said with a pause. His eye's narrowed as he looked towards the teen. Gorbi points toward him and says. "Hey you're the kid from the library. Why would you steal a book? You could have just borrowed it"