Sir Halibut, Level 1.   Posted by The Reaper.Group: 0
The Reaper
 GM, 21 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 26 Jan 2017
at 23:42
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Sir Halibut marches on. The next couple of days are quite uneventful. The hot wind eases up, settling into a warm summer haze. The terrain gets a bit more rugged, and more forested. But otherwise nothing of note occurs, and Sir Halibut encounters no other travelers.

After consuming two more days of rations, Sir Halibut must decide whether to change course or pause for a while to hunt and fish.

[OOC: If choosing to hunt, you must roll a 2d8 + your Wisdom modifier. I don't believe any of Sir Halibut's traits apply to hunting and gathering, unfortunately. Hunting is also assumed to take up a day.]
Sir Halibut
 player, 5 posts
 The fish knight
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 03:38
Sir Halibut, Level 1
At this point, Halibut admitted to himself that he had to find some food soon, or he would be in trouble. So with that in mind, he decided to spend the day trying to find something edible.
"I wonder if delicious algae grow on land? Or maybe some eel. haven't had eel in ages. Hmm... Land-eel? Leel?" He mused as he set out in search of food.


[ Here's the roll: 04:37, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 8 using 2d8+1.  - Food scavenging roll.
 I'm guessing he finds silch. No land-eels for Halibut :(]

The Reaper
 GM, 26 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 04:08
Sir Halibut, Level 1
[OOC: Go ahead and subtract one from your rations, for a failed day spent hunting. Also, you can either roll to hunt again or move on, up to you.]
Sir Halibut
 player, 6 posts
 The fish knight
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 04:23
Sir Halibut, Level 1
In reply to The Reaper (msg # 9):

[OOC: I'll brave another day of searching. Halibut does not change his mind!]

[05:20, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 8 using 2d8+1.  - Food scavenging roll.
Aaand another day spent fruitlessly. Man, Halibut is not a lucky fish... guess he'll spend the last days rations thrying to find more as well. Not like he has enough food to survive turning around and going back, anyway.]


As his second day without finding food drew to a close, Halibut started worrying. How in the world did the land dwellers survive travelling if no food could be found anywhere?

This message was last edited by the player at 04:24, Sat 28 Jan 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 29 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 28 Jan 2017
at 04:38
Sir Halibut, Level 1
[OOC: Hang on, I messed up! The target for this roll is 8. However, I also forgot to mention the threshold increases by 1 each time you hunt again without moving for a day first. Since I forgot to mention this, I think we'll consider these both successes. Halibut has "overhunted" this area, however, and needs to travel at least one more day before moving on.]

After fruitlessly searching for days (all Sir Halibut found were some useless squishy rocks growing from bushes and trees that made his fins sticky when he smashed them!), he happened upon a mighty stream, cutting through a thick pine forest. After a moment's consideration, Sir Halibut drew his spear and chucked it into the water once, twice, then three times.

Sir Halibut enjoyed a tasty fresh salmon that night, and smoked the other two for the days ahead.

[OOC:
20:34, Today: The Reaper, on behalf of Sir Halibut, rolled 1 using 1d4.  Hunting Gains for Sir Halibut.
20:34, Today: The Reaper, on behalf of Sir Halibut, rolled 2 using 1d4.  Hunting Gains for Sir Halibut.

So net gain, after two days of hunting, is 1 day of rations. I believe this puts you at 4 rations now. You should probably move at least 1 tile before trying to hunt again.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:50, Sat 28 Jan 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 7 posts
 The fish knight
Sun 29 Jan 2017
at 19:03
Sir Halibut, Level 1
With his mood and, more importantly his food stocks somewhat replenished, Halibut hapilly went on in his quest. He did wonder how long it would take him to find a village. Or an inhabited one, anyway. The land dwellers REALLY had to like walking, considering how far from each other their settlements were built. He could've seen the sense in it if it had been long distances of swimming, but walking? Highly overrated, especially according to his aching flippers.
The Reaper
 GM, 35 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 05:33
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Sir Halibut plunges deeper into the woods, encountering nothing of note.

[OOC: An uneventful day of travel. Let me know how far you're willing to go before you start hunting again. Hunting basically invites Encounter checks, by the way. You're at 3 rations now, I believe. After going a full day without food you take -1 to skill checks and -2 to attacks until you eat again. You don't actually starve until like a week with no food.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:14, Mon 30 Jan 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 8 posts
 The fish knight
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 19:56
Sir Halibut, Level 1
With food still taken care of, Halibut strode on in his mission. Surely he would soon encounter some of his dastardly foes. Besides, he'd already gathered food once when having two days' rations remaining. He could do so again tomorrow, if necessary.

[OOC: He keeps going. he'll do the food run again when he's on two rations, so tomorrow.]
The Reaper
 GM, 41 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 21:08
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Sir Halibut treks onward through the woods. The thick foliage almost gets him turned around, but he manages to keep his bearings [OOC: You got a "gets lost" event, but you succeeded on your check. Since you're just sort of randomly wandering around looking for treasure anyhow, it was never really a big risk.] as he continues to plunge deeper into the forests east of Saerynopolis.

Eventually, Sir Halibut crests a ridge and sees below him a bustling hunting camp! For a moment Sir Halibut thinks it might be a place to purchase some food, but closer inspection reveals intimidating fetishes of animal bones and claws that Sir Halibut recognizes as symbols of the Pale Ash Clan, a fierce Wild Tribe known for poaching aurachs from the Fields of Saeryn, and terrorizing the innocent peasants with banditry. Maybe they're the ones that took the Saerynite artifacts?

From his overlook, Sir Halibut doesn't believe anyone has spotted him yet. He could try to climb down directly into the heart of the camp, though that would certainly get him noticed. Alternately, he could loop around toward the north end of the camp, where he sees an armed guard and a gap in the camp's wooden palisades that would seem to function as a gatehouse.

[OOC: Congratulations! You found a dungeon.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:31, Wed 01 Feb 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 9 posts
 The fish knight
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 23:22
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Deciding that, while sneaking about was not the most knightly behaviour, it would be wiser to start with declaring his presence and purpose to one wildling guardsman at first instead of the whole clan at once, Halibut moved around the camp instead of into it.
Once he got within a comfortable distance of the guard, he boldly strode up and revealed himself.
"I is Sir Halibut, knight of Wayfarer order. I's looking for stolen Saeriu... Saerynned... Sae-Ry-Nite! relics. You got any?" He exclaimed, his head held high and back straight.
The Reaper
 GM, 52 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 6 Feb 2017
at 01:19
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Clambering down the rocks and moving toward the gate at the north end of the camp, Sir Halibut could see that the wooden palisade was bristling with intimidating trophies and fetishes befitting the Pale Ash Clan.

[OOC: Sir Halibut, please roll an Intelligence check and add your "Defender of the Faith 1" trait.]

Outside the gate, which is really just a series of staggered barricades, Sir Halibut sees three men with spears. He also notices two archers sitting in perches in nearby trees. The men seem doubtful that Sir Halibut is a Saerynite Knight, not that the Pale Ash Clan would respect a knight's authority anyway. They react with mocking jeers, one guardsman even buckling over with laughter.

"Akaname, if you want Saerynite gold so badly, swim upstream and take it yourself!" The guardsman clasped his hands around his mouth as he yelled, his compatriots supporting him with rude gestures. "This camp is Pale Ash Clan territory, and anything our hunters bring inside here is ours!" The guardsman then tossed his spear at Sir Halibut - not close enough to hit him, but as a clear warning shot. The spear wobbled as it protruded from the ground just a few feet away from Sir Halibut.

The men howled with laughter and continued to make obscene gestures at the akaname knight, apparently expecting to be able to ridicule him into leaving.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:50, Mon 06 Feb 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 10 posts
 The fish knight
Mon 6 Feb 2017
at 22:31
Sir Halibut, Level 1
"But Saerynite stuff belongs to Saerynites! If you have it, it's stolen. Which means you bandits." Halibut reasoned, wanting them to understand that they couldn't just take things that don't belong to them. It was a fairly simple concept, after all.
He then focused his eyes on the spear they'd hurled at him, and stood in thought for a moment.
"You throw spear at Halibut!" He suddenly exclaimed, turning his unblinking fish eyes toward the clansmen. "Halibut is knight. Knights uphold law. So only bandits would attack knights. Which means... YOU IS BANDITS!!" Yelling the last part, Halibut drew his greatsword, his path now clear to him. With a garbled screechin yell, he charged at the pale ash warriors, his greatsword held above his head.

[OOC: 23:24, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 8 using 2d8.  - Intelligence check.
I imagine his war cry is a louder, slightly more shrieky version of a murloc cry :P
]
The Reaper
 GM, 56 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 02:55
Sir Halibut, Level 1
[OOC: Sorry, that check wasn't quite good enough... Sir Halibut misses out on some treasure he failed to notice.

Also, heroes always win initiative, so if you're going to charge and attack the tribesmen, go ahead and roll an attack and your fray die. Their AC is 7.]


The tribesmen abruptly stopped laughing as the hulking akaname drew a massive weapon and began to charge them!
Sir Halibut
 player, 11 posts
 The fish knight
Fri 10 Feb 2017
at 19:59
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Halibut lashed out with his sword at the man who'd thrown the spear, seeing him as the chief threat. He made a vicious horizontal swing, seeking to decapitate the man, and any of his companions unlucky enough to get within range of the blade.

[OOC: 20:54, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 18 using 1d20+10 ((8)).
20:58, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 8 using 1d8.  - Fray die.]

The Reaper
 GM, 64 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 10 Feb 2017
at 20:59
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Sir Halibut effortlessly runs through both the javelin-thrower and one of his companions, bisecting them with a single, neat cleave of his mighty blade. He turns to attack the last spearman, who narrowly catches Sir Halibut's mighty strike on his shield. "By the Dweller's spines!" the spearman swears, scared but not breaking. "For the love of the Hunter, shoot you idiots! Shoot!"

The bowmen in the trees loosed their arrows, one of which pierced Sir Halibut's armor and bit painfully into his skin.

[OOC: The bandits made their attacks, but only a single arrow hit you for 1 damage. Your turn.]
Sir Halibut
 player, 12 posts
 The fish knight
Mon 13 Feb 2017
at 17:44
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Deeply dissatisfied with the archer hitting him, Halibut let out another warbling warcry. Taking one hand of his greatsword, he hefted his spear from his back and heaved it at the archer that had bled him. Using the movement of his torso from throwing the spear, he immediately gripped his sword once more, letting the explosive movement carry him into a spinning  cleave at the remaining spearman.

[OOC: Halibut uses his attack to throw his spear at the archer that wounded him, and the sword slash is basically just his fray die attack, refluffed. Hope that a'ight.
18:40, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 28 using 1d20+9.  - spear throw.
18:43, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 7 using 1d6+1.  - spear damage.
18:44, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 4 using 1d8.  - Fray die.]

The Reaper
 GM, 67 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 13 Feb 2017
at 21:11
Sir Halibut, Level 1
[OOC: Totally a'ight!]

Even after Sir Halibut pinioned one of the archers to a tree and slashed through the remaining spearman, the remaining archer still kept his resolve. "Intruder! Intruder!" the archer began to yell, using his final moments to try and warn his comrades inside the camp.

With trembling hands, he knocked another arrow, which whizzed by Sir Halibut's ear-hole, missing by inches.
Sir Halibut
 player, 13 posts
 The fish knight
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 12:31
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Partly because he thought it was the knightly thing to do, and partly because he knew he couldn't throw his knife far enough to hit the archer, Halibut elected to instead stoically ignore the arrow that whizzed past him.
"I is knight. I tell you again, surrender and give Sae-ry-nite stuff back, and I let you live for proper trial in nearest town. You go prison. Better than dead." He yelled at the archer.
The Reaper
 GM, 69 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 19:28
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Something about seeing Sir Halibut stoically stare down his arrows broke the bandit's morale at last. He scrabbled down from his tree perch, but he didn't seem terribly eager to turn himself over to an akaname's interpretation of "Saerynite justice".

Dropping his bow in the grass, the tribesman tried to dash into the gates of the camp. Though he was moving at a dead sprint, Sir Halibut could probably still catch him if he moved fast enough.

[OOC: You could double move to get adjacent to him and let your Fray die take care of him. You could also just run a bit and then toss your dagger, though you'd take a -2 penalty to the hit for the long range. Or you could pick up a dead guard's spear and chuck it (you'd use your action picking it up, then could throw it as part of your Fray die attacks).

So... options!]

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:40, Wed 15 Feb 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 14 posts
 The fish knight
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 16:19
Sir Halibut, Level 1
"No running!" Halibut exclaimed unhappily as the bandit legged it.
He looked around uncertainly for half a second, uncertain about what to do. Knights didn't kill people who were weaponless, but he couldn't just let the guy run of either.
"AH! I hit leg, he no run. Then bring back for trial!" He then exclaimed with an almost gleeful gurgle of happiness at his own genius. Picking up the spear of one of his slain enemies, he took aim at the fleeing bandit, and honed in on his leg.
"YOU SURRENDER!!" He yelled as he hurled the spear at the poor sod.

[OOC: I'll use the option of throwing the spear at him as my fray die action.
Whether it only cripples him or just kills him outright. I won't mind if Halibut's "brilliant" plan doesn't work out XP
17:19, Today: Sir Halibut rolled 6 using 1d8.  - Fray die.]
The Reaper
 GM, 73 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 19:02
Sir Halibut, Level 1
The man howls in pain as the spear skewers the back of his thigh, piercing it through. He collapses to the ground but does not get up. Rushing over to check his vitals, Sir Halibut sees that he's alive and breathing, but very much unconscious and probably in shock as he bleeds out.

No one emerges from the gates of the encampment to challenge Sir Halibut. He hears some drumbeats in the distance, but it looks like he has the initiative to slip inside if he wants.
Sir Halibut
 player, 15 posts
 The fish knight
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 19:16
Sir Halibut, Level 1
"Oh noes..." Halibut lamented as the bandit died. "I's in so much trouble... Not-knightly at all. Was accident, but still." He muttered to himself.
He turned back towards the camp when he heard the drums. With a deep breath he puffed out his chest and stood up straight. Or as straight as a hunch backed akaname can, anyway.
"Alrights. Halibut get the rest, ask them surrender. Then get Saerynite shinies, take it and pris'ners to commander. Then make many chores and sorries to make up for dead bandit... And THEN Halibut have proven he a good knight. Many clappings from fellow knights. Maybe even victory dinner. Many fishes to gobble."
With his plan laid out Halibut wiped a bit of drool from his mouth at the thought of food, and made his way back to the camp. Looking around slyly, he tried to slip inside.
He wasn't sneaking. He just figured that scaring them into surrender would be easier if he did it up close. Also, no one could run away then.
The Reaper
 GM, 74 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 19:37
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Moving through the wooden gates of the camp, Sir Halibut moves through a sort of choke point dug into the hillside and fortified with sharp wooden logs and spikes. This looks like a guardpost of some type, but seems to be unmanned. The path is narrow and curves toward an enclosure pressed against the encampment walls. Sir Halibut can see movement and hears the soft whinnying of horses coming from that area, and with nowhere else to go except back outside the gate, he continues on.

[OOC: You basically encountered an empty room, so I'm having you move on to the next one. I also rolled a Stealth check, which you aced.]

Moving with relative stealth and pressing himself against the interior of the encampment wall, Sir Halibut makes his way into what look to be the camp's makeshift stables. Piles of hay and the ragged lean-to stables themselves provide excellent cover, and even though Sir Halibut can see three Pale Ash braves clutching spears as they converse in the center of the clearing, they do not seem to have noticed him. Though their accents are strange to Sir Halibut's ear-holes, he can understand a bit of their speech:

"Are those the warning drums?" one asks.

"Yes," replies another. "I think the gate has been compromised."

"Saerynites, do you think?"

"No," says the third man for the first time. "They'd attack in greater force. It may be those duerga we saw..."

"It's not important," snaps the first. "The important thing is we stop the intruder. This is a choke point to the main camp. Fan out, take defensive positions, and stop him. And you, blow your horn if you spot anything."

The path continues east, where a narrow dirt road is pressed between the camp walls on the north side and the rocky hillside on the south. Further ahead, Sir Halibut can see a guard tower, bristling up from what seems to be western edge of the main camp. The young braves trying (ineffectually) to guard the stables seem not to have spotted him yet. He can either engage the warriors, or try to slip past them to move deeper into the camp.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 19:38, Thu 16 Feb 2017.

Sir Halibut
 player, 16 posts
 The fish knight
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 20:41
Sir Halibut, Level 1
Halibut's first thought was to walk out in the open once more and demand their surrender, counting on these men to be more open to talking than the last ones. But then he came up with another brilliant idea. They had to have a leader somewhere. And if Halibut could find him and make him surrender, the rest would surely follow suit. Then he could take them all to jail properly, instead of just killing them. That would be super knightly!
Satisfied that he'd come up with yet another smart tactic, Halibut snuck on, keeping his beady eyes on the lookout for anyone who looked like a leader. It wouldn't be easy of course.
How did the land dwellers identify their leaders if they didn't wear proper decorated shark skull helmets? It was all very primitive compared to the Akaname hierarchy. But then, he really couldn't expect more from creatures that didn't understand the many virtues of coral.

[OOC: Halibut tries to sneak further in.]
The Reaper
 GM, 91 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 21:15
Sir Halibut, Level 1
With great cunning and stealth, Sir Halibut slips by the few men scouting for him and approaches the guardpost. He sees that this is another chokepoint, with a low wall and ridge of stone leading north from here into an area of heavy foliage still within the confines of the wooden camp walls. This pathway is heavily guarded, with three spear-wielding tribesmen standing guard here. Two archers are visible in the tower, as well as two more young men wielding spears guarding a path that leads south. To the east is a huge wooden palisade bristling with spikes and the severed heads of trespassers, while west is the way Sir Halibut came.

Unfortunately, this intersection was cleverly constructed to have little cover. Moving about in his bulky armor and with his large sword, Sir Halibut was inevitably caught in the open. It was one of the archers in the tower who noticed him first, calling out to his allies. "You there! Stop!"

[OOC: I rolled a stealth check for you again, but it wasn't quite enough to cut it this time. You've been spotted! But as a hero, you get initiative and get to act first.]