Cazio Bork, Level 1.   Posted by The Reaper.Group: 0
The Reaper
 GM, 72 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 18:59
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio heads south through the archway, reaching a large room dominated by a crumbling staircase. It has clearly undergone several haphazard repairs in recent years. The room is empty save for the staircase, but is very large and empty. In its heyday, it was probably full of impressive art and furniture, but now this room is strictly utilitarian in purpose.

As he approaches the staircase and tries to head upstairs, however, Cazio hear a low growl that makes his blood freeze in his veins. Paralyzed for a moment with fear, Cazio turns his head to see a spotted leopard slinking out from behind the staircase. A rare sight in the Saerynite woods, but not unheard of. Stumbling backward, Cazio is relieved to see that the leopard has a heavy iron chain around its neck, which is in turn attached to the rungs of the staircase. It also looks to be starving, its ribs visible sticking through its fur. It watches Cazio hungrily, licking its chops from the lowest stair. It looks to be specifically tethered to guard the staircase, and has just enough slack on its chain to do so.

To Cazio's left, he can see a small door in the eastern wall. It looks to lead to another room, one parallel to the room where he heard the rustling.

[OOC: Let me know how you want to deal with the leopard. There's a few ways around this... Painted Vermillion Eyes won't work, though, because the spell specifies an "intelligent humanoid" as the target.]
Cazio Bork
 player, 18 posts
Thu 16 Feb 2017
at 21:35
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio slowly bucks up a step or two. He takes in the sight fully, frowning particularly at the shape of the leopard. Trying desperately to stay calm he reaches into his pack and pulls out all of his rations. A he tosses them to the side of the stairs he whispers to the creature "I understand what it feels like to be kept chained and starved, enjoy this meal and maybe I can bring more." He then waits to see how the creature reacts before trying the staircase once more.
The Reaper
 GM, 75 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 17 Feb 2017
at 22:23
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: So mechanically I re-rolled a reaction roll for the leopard with a +2 bonus. And got basically "the usual attitude, but suspicious," which is fair I think given the poor leopard's experience with humanoids so far. Unfortunately, the book also says wild animals encountered are assumed to hungry and hostile, so since the "usual attitude" is aggressive, this didn't really improve matters.

I then decided you should also get a Charisma check of some kind. None of Cazio's traits apply and you still have a 0 modifier Charisma, but you lucked out and aced it. So the leopard tentatively sort of kind of likes you now and won't eat you for the time being.]


The large cat watches Cazio suspiciously for a few moments before pawing at the food. After a brief investigation, its obvious hunger wins out and it begins tearing into the few edible sections of the rations it finds palatable, particularly the dried meat and smoked fish. It is much too absorbed in its eating to be hostile with Cazio, and Cazio is able to easily sneak past.

[OOC: For now I'm assuming you go up the stairs, but keep in mind there's sections of the first floor you haven't explored yet.]

Climbing up the decrepit, creaking staircase, Cazio emerges into what looks to be Strathmore Manor's dining room, now re-purposed into a sort of elegant mess hall able to easily sit fifty men or more. The expansive tables and high-vaulted ceilings give an impression of echoing vastness, though it's only about half of the size of the great entrance foyer Cazio saw earlier. The paintings on the ceilings are more intact here, and Cazio can see they depict scenes of Saerynite saints.

The tables don't have any food on them, but they are still set with plates and silverware. Cazio notices that much of the utensils are likely valuable, relics from Strathmore's original purpose as an elegant summer home. If he bothered to go around and collect all the actual silver pieces, it would easily be worth 50 GP all together.

To Cazio's left, on the east side of the second floor, he sees an unobtrusive door with a heavy wrought iron handle. To his right is an archway that appears to lead directly into the kitchens.
Cazio Bork
 player, 19 posts
Sat 18 Feb 2017
at 14:21
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: Yay for not getting eaten by a stair leopard. Man, it would be kick ass to have a leopard animal companion. I will have to work on that later. I plan to do some more looting/searching after checking out up here.]
Cazio bemoans his lost rations, but is glad to not have BECOME food, so it evened out. Cazio takes a circuit around the room collecting silverware and wrapping them in clothes to keep them from making too much noise. He then cautiously takes a closer look at everything with his sword drawn. He hoped there weren't any dining room crocodiles or mess hall monkeys.
The Reaper
 GM, 78 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 18 Feb 2017
at 23:09
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: I'd say you could get an animal companion with an appropriate trait. So once you level up. Hmm.]

Nobody emerges from the shadows to attack Cazio as he loots the silverware. Upstairs seems pretty quiet so far. The dining room is also better lit, with the late Lord Strathmore apparently seeing less of a need to fortify the second story windows. The kitchen to the west is darker inside, though. And then there is the sturdy-looking door set into the eastern wall.
Cazio Bork
 player, 20 posts
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 01:55
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: Sounds fair to me]
Cazio pulls a light source from its stand and heads toward the kitchen. He crosses the doorway with his sword pointed ahead. He hopes to possibly find some more food to restock his stores.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:32, Sun 19 Feb 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 80 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 05:56
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Taking a moment to light a candelbra from one of the tables, Cazio makes his way into the darkened kitchen. There he's disappointed to find the pantries bereft of food, apparently raided long ago by some looter.

[OOC: The kitchen is basically an "empty" room. No treasure, no traps, no encounters or anything of note. So I'm just having Cazio move on to the next room, hope that's okay.]

Continuing his exploration of this wing of the second story, Cazio moves south into the similarly dark scullery. He sees the giant stone wash basins where dedicated servants cleaned dishes and pots for use in the dining room and kitchen, respectively. The brass pipes and cookware are now covered with mold-like verdigris, and the clean stone sinks and basins are now filled with a chunky slurry of blood and viscera. The light of the candelabra causes the various unclean surfaces of this room to glisten and sheen in a sickly fashion.
Cazio Bork
 player, 21 posts
Sun 19 Feb 2017
at 16:35
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: You're the boss. It's fine by me]
Cazio makes a face of disgust and turns himself around and back into the dining room. He goes to the door on the eastern side and attempts to slowly open it and peek in with his candelabra.
The Reaper
 GM, 83 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 20 Feb 2017
at 05:07
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio turns and wisely exits the room. Peeking into the unobtrusive door attached to the dining room, Cazio sees the dark expanse of a long-neglected storeroom. There are many crates stacked here, most covered in cobwebs. It's difficult to see more without going inside to light some torches, as there are no windows in there. Cazio can also hear hushed, sibilant voices conversing inside, though he can't hear what's being said.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:09, Mon 20 Feb 2017.

Cazio Bork
 player, 22 posts
Mon 20 Feb 2017
at 19:16
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio sighs and backs up. He thinks about whether it is worth facing the hissing creatures to discover whats inside the room. Deciding that if he plays it too safe he will never find what he needs, he attempts to light a torch inside the store room. He then holds his sword point out and calls out quietly "I've come to stop the dark necromancer whose made his base here. Be you ally or foe?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:21, Mon 20 Feb 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 89 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 20:54
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Moving into the room with the candelabra in hand, Cazio's approach is at first unnoticed by the two figures conversing in the dark. One appears to be a nearly nude akaname, locked in a large iron cage. The other is an akaname standing outside the cage and holding a torch, the light of which reveals the horseshoe crab emblem on the back of his black robe. Once he gets close enough to overhear them, Cazio realizes he simply can't understand whatever strange language they're speaking. Once he lights his torch and calls out in a common tongue, however, both snap their heads in Cazio's direction.

The akaname in the robe laughs cruelly before managing an answer in the same language. "And why would you hunt me, land-dweller? Some ideological dispute? Or are you an heir of Strathmore I missed? It's no matter, I suppose..." The akaname then reached into his robe and pulled out a red vial of glass. Holding it over his head, he began to chant words of magic; it appeared Cazio had found the necromancer! Or a necromancer, at any rate...

As all this was happening, the akaname in the cage called out. "Free me! I'm his prisoner, if you let me go we can kill him together! And for Azanami's sake, mammal, look out for the cat!"

As Cazio was absorbing all this, trying to weigh the situation, calculate and react, that last word seemed to cause him to stumble. Huh? A cat? What cat?

And then Cazio felt, rather than saw, something huge and bony collide with him. Terrible claws raked his back [OOC: inflicting 1 HP of damage]. Hissing in pain, Cazio turned to see the huge skeletal cat that had almost pinned him, silently roaring at him. The stealthy and unnatural thing had somehow escaped his notice up until he called out...

[OOC: I rolled a perception check for you, but none of your traits applied. You failed to beat the undead monster's stealth check (which was pretty dang good). The monster is 3 HD, and you happened to randomly stumble into the necromancer and his prisoner. The necromancer is 3 HD, and the prisoner is 2 HD. The necromancer has an AC of 7, and the cat skeleton an AC of 4. Just to give you an idea of the relative strength of these guys.

Regardless of what you do with your turn, keep in mind you can use your Fray die against anyone even if they have more HD than you have levels. One of the perks of being a magic-user.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:09, Wed 22 Feb 2017.

Cazio Bork
 player, 24 posts
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 02:52
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio curses loudly a string of swears known only to dark cultists. His luck seemed to be little to none. He is tempted to try to turn the akaname into a slave or make him fall asleep, but figures it has the willpower to throw off those effects. He instead decides to even the odds and summons a spirit to the room. He gives it an order to try to open the prisoner's cage while he turns to the skeletal cat with his shortsword in hand, bashing it hard with his pommel and causing it to fall to the floor instantly.
[OOC: So I have 3 hp. Casted Summon Forth the Spirit Slave. 21:48, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4.  Fray Die. Destroys the cat skeleton, right? Was so tempted to cast sleep on the akaname, but didn't think it would work or it would pass the save.]
The Reaper
 GM, 97 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 00:34
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: Er... no. It does 1 damage to the cat skeleton, so it loses 1 HD. It still has 2 left. Remember, in Scarlet Heroes you don't read the dice at face value.

1 - 0 Damage
2 to 5 - 1 Damage
6 to 9 - 2 Damage
10+ - 4 Damage

Also, I forgot to mention that the skeletal cat (like most cats) gets 3 attacks a round. The first two just luckily missed you.]


Calling upon the esoteric occult Kinships of his former cult, Cazio summons a weak shell of magical energy, animated by the spiritual resonance of some long-forgotten cult figure. The dim, ghostly outline runs toward the door like a flickering silhouette. It manages to wrench the door to akaname's cage open easily. The akaname inside wastes no time, grinning wickedly and leaping out to jab at the necromancer with a sharpened shiv. Unfortunately, the necromancer easily side-steps the attack, and continues chanting whatever hideous spell he was casting...

Cazio sends the skeletal jaguar clattering to the ground, but in a macabre fashion it gets back up and reconstructs itself to lash out again! Stumbling backward in surprise, only a single claw catches Cazio's shoulder, but the claws get caught in his thick robe. There's a tearing of clothing as Cazio backs away, but he's unharmed. Still, the cat is more resilient than he thought!

[OOC: 16:32, Today: The Reaper rolled 1 using 1d4.  Kitty Claw Damage.
16:30, Today: The Reaper rolled 19 using 1d20+11.  Kitty Bite Attack 1.
16:30, Today: The Reaper rolled 31 using 1d20+11.  Kitty Claw Attack 2.
16:29, Today: The Reaper rolled 18 using 1d20+11.  Kitty Claw Attack 1.
16:27, Today: The Reaper rolled 10 using 1d20+9.  Akaname Prisoner Attack.
The necromancer is just casting a spell. If you (or the prisoner) damages him, they can interrupt him. Also be sure to direct your summoned guy around, or I can act for him if you want.

As you can see from the rolls, the cat is actually super scary, but keeps missing you. It could drop you in a round if it hits with all three attacks and actually rolls higher than 1 on the damage die!]

Cazio Bork
 player, 25 posts
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 17:19
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[Oh yes, so sorry. I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing from now on. 12:14, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4+1.  Damage Roll (+1 Shortsword).
12:13, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 16 using 1d20+2.  Attack roll (+1 short sword).12:16, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4.  Fray Die.
So 2 dmg to the cat and it's dead for real now, right?]


Cazio gasps as the cat leaps back up. He takes a stab at the skeleton. He catches it in the chest and rips a few ribs apart, he then sends a bolt of magic down the sword and blows it apart. He finally orders the weak spirit to attempt to tackle the necromancer down.

[What sort of roll do I do for a tackle attempt by the Spirit?]

This message was last edited by the player at 17:21, Fri 24 Feb 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 99 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 25 Feb 2017
at 22:08
Cazio Bork, Level 1
The touch of Cazio's magic seems to finally do the skeletal jaguar in. It erupts in an explosion of bone shards.

[OOC: A tackle? I'd just treat that as an attack roll. It has the statistics of:
1 HD, AC 9, Atk +0,
Dmg 1d4, Move 20, and Morale 12.

So not very strong, no attack bonus, and moves a bit slower than a human, but still dangerous. I went ahead and rolled an attack for it (a near miss I'm afraid), but in future rounds you can feel free to do it yourself as part of your turn.]


The spirit rushes forward, but its form flickers as it stumbles right through the necromancer. The akaname in the black robe continued chanting his vile spell, his vial of blood held aloft. His words caught in his toad-like throat, however, when the prisoner sank his shiv into the sorcerer's side. "Damn it, Kuyobi! You traitorous sea-slug!" the necromancer howled in a common tongue. As he scurried away, clutching his wound, the vial of blood slipped from his grasp and shattered uselessly on the wooden floor of the storeroom.

[OOC: The prisoner managed to hit, he did one damage and interrupted the spell.]

"You brought this on yourself, Bibobu," the prisoner snarled. The necromancer (apparently named Bibobu) replied in that strange sibilant tongue Cazio heard earlier. Cazio couldn't understand the words, but Bibobu's intent was clear as he drew a short sword and lunged at the prisoner! Sword raked across the prisoner's naked, scaly flesh, leaving a thin red line of blood, but Kuyobi seemed to be a practiced warrior, quite light on his webbed feet; he leaped away at the last moment, dodging the worst of the blood.

[OOC: The necromancer attacked, hit, but did 0 damage. Things are looking up! Your turn.]
Cazio Bork
 player, 26 posts
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 22:31
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio moves into the suddenly crowded room. He thrusts his short sword at the necromancer, catching him in between the ribs and likely breaking a few in the attack. The spirit rakes it's hands down the necromancer back, ripping flesh from muscle. Finally Cazio blasts the dark mage in the face with a burning ray. He turns to the prisoner and says "I just helped you out, so unless you want to end up like your friend here, I would tell me what you know about the wand and get the hell out."

[OOC: 17:06, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4. Spirit damage roll. 1 dmg.
17:03, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 17 using 1d20.  Spirit Attack Roll.
16:36, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4.  Fray Die. 1 dmg
17:27, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4+1.  Damage Roll (+1 Shortsword). 1 dmg
16:36, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 20 using 1d20+2.  Attack roll (+1 short sword). So 3 dmg and the necromancer should be extra dead, right?]

The Reaper
 GM, 115 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 27 Feb 2017
at 19:35
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: Haha, oh my yes. Super extra double dead. Bravo!]

The necromancer rapidly found himself overwhelmed without his pet monstrosity to guard him. The akaname in the black robe howls as Cazio's flames consume him, then slumps to the ground. When Cazio turns to threaten the prisoner, however, the muscular akaname warrior merely rolls his eyes. Without a word, he digs through the pockets of the dead necromancer's robe, pulling out a long, twisted wand composed of scorched oak wood. Powerful magic and even a faint, ambient crackling of sparks emanates from it, and Cazio is quite sure it is the wand he's looking for. Even better, Kuyobi willingly hands it over.

[OOC: You will have to get the wand identified to find out exactly what it does. Or you can try using it yourself and testing it. Amar mentioned something about "calling down fire from the sky" though.

It's also definitely the wand you're looking for, so you earn 1 XP!]


"I have no quarrel with you, human," the akaname warrior answer gruffly, tossing aside his shiv in favor of the slain necromancer's sword. "However, my business here isn't finished. Bibobu was merely a puppet for the junin. There's another, more powerful blood sorcerer here, in the tunnels beneath the basement. His name is Resplendent Hibikata, and he must die by my hand. You can either help me, or get out of my way."

As the (apparently non-hostile) akaname speaks, Cazio is free to direct his summoned spirit to search the room for him. The derelict storeroom seemed to be mostly a prison these days, as most of the crates were empty, while others were filled with thoroughly spoiled foodstuffs. There is also a massive shelf of vintage wines which, unfortunately, have all fouled into vinegar after seasons of improper storage. Underneath this shelf, however, the spirit finds a small box marked 'private!' in sloppy charcoal. Opening it up, Cazio finds two small glass bottles, also thrumming with magic. These ones mysteries are laid bare by their labels, however: one is a professed love potion, while the other is labeled 'Rapture,' a popular street drug in Saerynopolis made of opiates and concentrated sleep oil. Hmm. It seems the late Lord Strathmore was something of a playboy.

[OOC: You found a couple of potions! Sorry for assuming you use your spirit to search the room, but these potions were notably not hidden very well, so I didn't want you to miss the treasure you were owed due to being distracted by conversation. From the book:

quote:
Love Philtre: A target who drinks this potion or has it splashed upon them must save versus difficulty 14 or immediately become infatuated with the first sexually compatible subject they see. The subject will do anything not wholly contrary to their nature in order to please the subject of their desire. The victim may make a new saving throw each day.


quote:
Rapture: A costly extract compounded from the essences of numerous recreational drugs and sorcerous concoctions, a potion of rapture may be consumed by a user or splashed on a victim. If the subject submits to the drug, they spend the next hour in a helpless, oblivious state of ecstasy. If they fight the effects, the drug lasts only 2d4 rounds- but each round the subject must make a saving throw against difficulty 14 to perform any action.
]


After completing its thorough search of the room, the spirit dissipates, leaving Cazio alone in the room with the akaname prisoner. After a beat he tosses something at Cazio's feet: a mahogany-wood bangle, plated with bronze and inset with a single polished rose quartz. Cazio can tell from a glance it's easily worth 500 GP. "Here," the akaname says. "The junin savor shiny things like this. My name is Kuyobi. Take that and stay out of my way if you'd like. But if you want to join with me, mage, know that Resplendent Hibikata carries baubles worth five times that one on his person. And you can have them, if you help my spear find his heart."
Cazio Bork
 player, 27 posts
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 02:49
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio collects all his treasures and puts away the wand. He then turns to the former prisoner, "Well it doesn't pay to do something half-way. I'll help you stop the the head here." Cazio takes the time to lop off the forearm of the Mage. Now likely covered in blood, he heads out the room and down the stairs assuming the prisoner will follow.
The Reaper
 GM, 121 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 04:31
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio heads downstairs, and Kuyobi dutifully follows. It seems he's interested in keeping his word, at least for now. Once downstairs, Cazio is relieved to see the chained jaguar leaves them alone. It growls menacingly at Kuyobi, but does not stir from its spot on the bottom step. Even better, it allows Cazio to approach and retrieve some his rations: specifically, the dried fruit, nuts and travel biscuits the cat wasn't interested in. [OOC: The cat didn't / couldn't eat all your rations, so you reclaim 2 days worth.]

To the left is the grand entrance hall Cazio first entered. To his right is an unexplored door leading to the eastern side of the first floor, while further ahead is the salon. In it, on the eastern wall, was another unopened door. It was possible the two doors lead to the same, larger room, but Cazio had no way to be sure.

Gesturing toward the eastern door with the tip of his sword, Kuyobi offers: "There's a stairway down there that leads to a cellar and servant's quarters. The dead fish I seek is down there... probably."

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:23, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

Cazio Bork
 player, 28 posts
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 14:14
Cazio Bork, Level 1
After Cazio collected his 2 days rations he tossed the lopped off arm to the big cat. "Here's a toy" He whispers to it. Cazio then continues with the prisoner. "Probably? doesn't sound a great plan, but I suppose it will have to do. You first." He motions with his shortsword and eyes him suspiciously.
The Reaper
 GM, 127 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 21:32
Cazio Bork, Level 1
The presently-full cat doesn't seem to have much interest in the arm of the slain necromancer, but bats it around and plays with it a moment before letting it rest, no doubt saving it for later.

"I was in that cage for weeks," Kuyobi growls in response, "how am I supposed to know exactly where the bastard is?" Still, Kuyobi stalks over to the door and opens it slowly, complying with Cazio. Despite his attempt at stealth, Kuyobi appeared to be spotted instantly.

"What the- Chieftain Kuyobi? What are you doing out of your cell?" The door opened just wide enough for Cazio to see the speaker, a young-looking akaname with a spear in one hand and a fistful of shredded papers in the other.

Kuyobi then said something in the akaname tongue Cazio couldn't recognize, though it sounded very much like a filthy curse. "Back me up," he muttered quietly to Cazio, before charging in to the room ahead, his shortsword bared.

The door swung shut behind him, though Cazio could hear two voices calling out alarms:

"Escape! Escape!"

"It's Kuyobi! Kill him!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:32, Thu 02 Mar 2017.

Cazio Bork
 player, 29 posts
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 22:43
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio moves to the door and props it open with his leg. He then pulls out his crossbow. Before taking a shot he tries to take in the view of the room more fully.
The Reaper
 GM, 128 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 23:33
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio props open the door to widen his angle of view. He sees what looks to be a library, its wall filled floor to ceiling with books. Many of these books seemed to be covered in a creeping black mold, and what's more, the two akaname warriors in here (including the one Cazio saw earlier) appeared to be intentionally destroying the books, ripping them apart and strewing their pages across the room. The two akaname are assisted by skeleton, which quickly moves to flank Kuyobi, its ivory claws outstretched.

Charging into the room, Kuyobi dives over a desk, sending a flurry of discarded papers flying as he engages one of the spearmen. Kuyobi drives his sword forward, but the young akaname warrior manages to barely parry the blow.

[OOC: You're still a hero, so you still get initiative, but I went ahead and made Kuyobi's attack. He hit but did no damage. They're very focused on Kuyobi, so you get a +2 bonus to your first attack, provided you don't otherwise reveal your presence.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:28, Fri 03 Mar 2017.

Cazio Bork
 player, 30 posts
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 01:20
Cazio Bork, Level 1
Cazio zeroes in on the akaname Warrior least engaged with Kuyobi. He fires a bolt and catches him in the shoulder with a bolt. He follows this up with a Missle of magic to that akaname's chest.

[OOC: A hit and 1 dmg and 1 dmg with my Fray Die.
20:19, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 3 using 1d4.  Fray Die.
20:16, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 4 using 1d4.  Damage roll.
20:13, Today: Cazio Bork rolled 15 using 1d20+3.  Attack roll.]

This message was last edited by the player at 12:46, Fri 03 Mar 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 129 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 05:45
Cazio Bork, Level 1
[OOC: I forgot to mention, these akaname have an AC of 9 and only 1 HD. So you actually took two of them out that turn! I had you go for the skeleton with your Fray.]

Cazio's bolt fried the hapless akaname warrior, and he fell to the ground a smoking heap. With a second arcane gesture, Cazio also unmade the skeleton charging at Kuyobi. The now-familiar clatter of bones hitting the ground filled Cazio's ears.

As the second akaname fighter engaged with Kuyobi turned around to take stock of the new threat and the sudden scorch of intense heat on his back, Kuyobi took the opportunity to drive his blade through the younger warrior's back. Gurgling the lesser akaname warrior slumped over a desk and died, while Kuyobi crossed his arms over the broad scales of his chest and nodding approvingly. "Not bad, mammal." Leaving the sword in his enemy's back, Kuyobi picked up one of the slain akaname's spears instead, and gave it a spin.

With the tumult of combat over, Cazio had a chance to take in his surroundings. This room clearly used to be a grand library of some sort, though it looks like most of the books have been lost to rot or else the depredations of the akaname, who appeared to be intentionally destroying the materials; Cazio finds a heap of smoking ash the center of the room, peppered with fragments of texts.

Some valuables still remain, however. The two slain akaname each have small coin pouches tied to their loincloths; between the two of them, they stolen Saerynite gold and silver and some fine pearls and coral currency from the Vast Sea, worth a combined 60 GP. The akaname Cazio killed also wore a set of bronze armlets and sleeves made of water-resistant akaname sea silk, woven in a pattern of ocean waves. This material was said to be excreted by strange sea creatures, and was very rare on dry land. All together, the set looked worth 400 GP easily.

Finally, surveying the shelves of the library itself, Cazio sees a number of small jewelry boxes. Opening them up reveals ugly, chunky-looking amulets of bronze, each with a shard of worthless, unpolished obsidian. While of inferior quality and likely not worth much on their own, Cazio recognizes these five matching amulets for what they are: the Eyes of Immortal Ido, an apocryphal Saerynite and Shardite saint with a small but influential cult. It appears the late Lord Strathmore was an adherent of the secretive (but non-violent) order, because he must have gone to great expense to collect them... the amulets are worth 40 GP each, so the five amulets would be worth 200 GP all together to the right collector. And fortunately, Cazio knew such collectors back in the streets Saerynopolis.

[OOC: The amulets were a hidden treasure check that Cazio succeeded on. Everything else was just loot from the fight. Nice job.]

There were small, secure-looking doors set into the northern and eastern walls of the library, roughly identical to the one Cazio and Kuyobi had launched their ambush from. Kuyobi, however, had eyes only for the recessed stairway leading down into a musty-looking cellar, set against the southern wall. He pointed his spear at the stony steps, saying, "My foe lies down there. Take what you will of these traitor's corpses, and then we should strike while we still have the element of surprise."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:00, Sun 05 Mar 2017.