Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1.   Posted by The Reaper.Group: 0
The Reaper
 GM, 58 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 7 Feb 2017
at 20:42
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
The Walkers Between Walls were an unusual group, and in a place as distinct as the sprawling hidden scholar-city of Aboya, that was saying a lot. To Aurgelmyr, they sort of defied classification, but after thinking about it a moment it he settled on calling them a "gang." That gave a pretty good indication of their size, at least, but tended to undercut their expertise.

The Walkers Between Walls were an all duerga group, mostly flunked out apprentices from the majisters, but also a few enterprising wild duerga types from the outer tunnels, who worked together as burglars. They specialized particularly in magical items, stealing them from the far corners of the Great Labyrinth and ferrying them to Aboya. They claimed they were taking dangerous magic away from tyrants and fools, and returning them to the even-tempered majisters who could truly understand and perhaps even replicate them. There was just a matter of a small, customary, mandatory donation to their fraternity, of course...

Aurgelmyr had first encountered the Walkers when they sold him his magical battleaxe. The price was only a pittance, because the Walkers actually wanted Aurgelmyr to work for them. Specifically, they wanted him to study the axe, understand its origins, and see if it could be recreated. As far as research went, the axe made it easy, because it had the title Giltak the Razor carved into its handle. Studying some official records from Aboya, Aurgelmyr discovered that Giltak was built many thousands of years ago, and that it was either created by an early duerga majister named Yazmeac, or else was commissioned by him.

Aurgelmyr was surprised to hear back from the Walkers Between Walls so quickly. He agreed to meet his contact, a powerfully built duerga woman with an ebony wood peg-leg named Sigrun. Meeting together in one of the magically-lighted parks in Aboya, the two duerga sat at a park bench and spoke in hushed tones. When Aurgelmyr tried to explain that proper research took time, and that he had only begun to understand the background of Giltak, Sigrun merely scowled and shook her head. "I'm not here to meet you about the axe, Aurgelmyr. Don't worry, take your time with that. We trust your methods and expertise."

She sighed heavily, glancing around for any eavesdroppers before she continued. "No, I'm here with another sort of opportunity. Tell me, Aurgelmyr... are you averse to a little necessary violence?" She paused for a moment, letting the gravity of her words sink in. "The Walkers have a problem, a problem that concerns all duerga kind," she continued, speaking hurriedly.

"As you know, we have a lot of contacts in the outer tunnel communities. One of our major waypoints, a duerga stronghold near the surface, recently..." She winces as if in pain before continuing. "... went feral."

A chill runs down Aurgelmyr's spine. Stories had circulated recently about whole clans of duerga go mad all at once, cutting one another down in a frenzy and building profane monuments to... well, to the Reaper. The madness seemed almost contagious, though by what vector or means was anyone's guess. And it seemed to affect only duerga, which seemed to lend terrible credence to dark rumors about the nature of the duerga soul.

"While a terrifying prospect," Sigrun continues, breaking Aurgelmyr out of his reverie, "we have to see that this poses a unique research opportunity. Whatever is causing this frenzy, it's of concern to all duerga. The feral stronghold is called Kenoluhm, and it's a 5 days walk if you take the primary tunnels up. We had contact with pockets of resistance in Kenolum until yesterday, when we lost track of our last operative in there."

"According to the intelligence we were able to gather before we lost contact, the frenzy seemed centered around one duerga in particular, an outcast named Vormen. He was a loner and suspected Reaper cultist before all of this started, but now he's apparently built himself a throne of duerga and human corpses in the center of Kenoluhm, and has other feral duerga at his beck and call. If you could possibly capture Vormen for further study by the Walkers, we'd reward you handsomely. If that isn't feasible, however, we're also willing to pay for his elimination."
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 1 post
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 16:55
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Aurgelmyr rested his fists on his knees, pressing them together to keep them from shaking. Feral duerga. Reaper cultists. A throne of corpses...It seemed like a foul nightmare come alive. He did not fancy himself an adventurer, and yet...

Sigrun was entirely right in that this presented an incredible research opportunity. If he could find out the how and why...it might even lead to a major breakthrough into understanding the duerga soul and defending against this kind contagious madness.

He nodded slowly, glancing at Sigrun. "It is a rare opportunity." He admitted. "And I confess I am intrigued. But why me? I am not particularly conversant with..." he paused and then spoke carefully, "Necessary violence."
The Reaper
 GM, 70 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 15 Feb 2017
at 19:34
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Sigrun pressed her lips into a thin smile as she regarded Aurgelmyr. "You're not as meek a duerga as you claim to be, Aurgelmyr Toldun. Very few in Aboya are willing to deal with my syndicate, so I know you're not adverse to risk when significant knowledge can be gained. Furthermore, you're smart and capable and a trained Aboyan mage. You must be aware that your skills are in demand."

She cleared her throat a bit before continuing. "And if you don't mind me saying so, I consider myself a pretty good judge of character. I think once you've seen what I've seen in Kenoluhm, you'll be convinced of the danger this madness poses. We... and by we I mean the Walkers and the duerga both, we need people like that in Aboya. War is coming, and the majisters will need to pull their collective noses out of their books and deal with it. Soon."
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 2 posts
Mon 20 Feb 2017
at 09:06
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
He didn't think himself given to easy flattery, but it was hard not to puff out his chest slightly. Sigrun was no duerga off the street. Her praise had value. He rolled over her words in his head, chewing them over. War. War was not good for research. Not usually.

"I will do it," he said, finally coming to a decision. He looked at Sigrun. "I trust you will provide me with the necessary tools and equipment. If you can have them ready for by tonight, I can be ready to leave by noon tomorrow."

He had to consider if he wanted to hire anyone to accompany him. Could he trust anyone with the knowledge of this? "At the very least, I will need a good map." He told Sigrun, still mulling over his options.
The Reaper
 GM, 87 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 19:23
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: Is the whole providing you with equipment thing just a pretext with your starting gear? If so I'm fine with that.]

Sigrun nods her head, clearly relieved that Aurgelmyr is taking the job. "Yes, of course. It's not a long journey, but we'll make sure you have supplies for it." She also pulls out a scrap of parchment and a stick of charcoal, drawing Aurgelmyr a hasty map. "Take the Serpent's Ascent as high up as you can, then it's Ifreet Walk to the Painted Hollows. From there are signposts, with a tunnel up indicating the way to Kenoluhm. You can't miss it."

Handing over the map, Aurgelmyr and Sigrun nailed down some details of the delivery of supplies. From there, Aurgelmyr retired to his rented room. Space was at a premium in Aboya, and even a promising scholar like Aurgelmyr lacked his own private tower or quarters. Enjoying a meal first, he rented a room for the night and spent a few hours planning out his expedition before going to bed. [OOC: 5 silver (or half a GP) is the standard "price" I charge for spending a night in civilization. This covers good food, lodging, and a bit of entertainment and drink. If you want scrimp and save you can, but this is the minimum to keep your hero fighting fit. You can eventually buy property and stuff (I guess?) but your hero isn't assumed to start out owning his own property or really anything beyond what's on his character sheet.

So you have 93.5 gold left over. A cheap guardsman is 3 silver a day, while an archer is 7 silver a day. An elite pikeman is 1 gold per day. Keep in mind any personnel you hire will need to eat, too... so you'll need to provide their rations. They can also carry gear for you, though, meaning they can carry their own (an individual person can carry 10 rations themselves before being encumbered). An ordinary non-combatant laborer or porter is 2 silver a day.

Let me know if you want to hire anyone, or pick up any additional equipment before you hit the road.]

Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 3 posts
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 11:22
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Aurgelmyr noted the obvious relief in Sigrun's face, filing it away for later. For now, his mind was already working out the potential logistics of this trip, not to mention the work involved after he had snagged this Vormen character.

He bade goodbye to Sigrun once she had handed him the map, and they'd decided when and where he would accept his cache of supplies. That night, he slept deeply, preparing mind and body for the arduous trip ahead.

[OOC: Yes, that's how I'd intended to frame it.

I think I would want him to hire two guardsmen to accompany him. That seems to skirt the line between expensive and 'might as well not'. I am not sure about having a non-combatant labourer type though. As for extra equipment, the only things I can think of buying some sort of trap or net to capture this Vormen, and/or some way to transport him back if he's a corpse.]

The Reaper
 GM, 95 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 22:58
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Aurgelmyr contacts an outfit of mercenaries to hire a couple of guards for his journey. The so-called "Sunken Spears" often license themselves out as bodyguards for various Majisters, but they aren't above a little escort work if the price is right. Aurgelmyr signs a ten-day contract for two stout guardsmen (for the five days to Kenoluhm, and the five days back as well), and hands over 6 gold. In return he gets Shekkad and Shom, two Wild Tribe brothers from the upper tunnels. He instructed the men to meet him at the Mouth of the Serpent the next morning. He also picks up some other necessary supplies, and looks into having a man-catching net made in short order.

[OOC: A trap or net isn't strictly necessary, I don't think? Also there are no prices or statistics for such a thing in the book, though I can understand why you'd want one. I'm looking for similar tools and restraints, and the closest I see is a "crowbar" for 5 GP. Which is pretty expensive for a piece of metal used to pry things, honestly, and a bit out of line with the other prices in the book.

Here's what we can do: if you decide to get a net (which could be useful, especially for preventing a live Vormen's escape), I'd charge 5 GP. It'd be a very nice, well-made net that's unlikely to break, and would probably give a -1 penalty to skill checks for whoever is inside of it for the purposes of breaking out. Not necessary, but nice.

Also, as far as necessary equipment, it occurred to me that with your character in the underground, we might want to think about illumination. The Labyrinth is basically a giant underground cave system; there's really no reason there would be illuminated down there outside of populated areas. I think I'm going to declare that your character needs a source of light - either lanterns or torches - to see by, or else you'll start taking privation penalties in wilderness situations. 'Spending' a single torch will give you light for a day, while 'spending' a flask of oil in your lantern will light you for two. A stack of 10 torches i 5 silver pieces (half a GP), so this isn't in a huge deal, but something to think about.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:43, Sat 25 Feb 2017.

Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 5 posts
Sat 25 Feb 2017
at 14:49
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: I really like the idea of having that net made. I would go for it. I hadn't thought about illumination, but that makes perfect sense. I would say, we would use lanterns for the most part, with torches on each of them for backup. Does that make sense? Would lighting the torch/lantern require having a tinderbox or is that assumed to come with the object?

Sorry for not having an IC section, just couldn't think of anything for him to do.]

The Reaper
 GM, 102 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 25 Feb 2017
at 22:59
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: It's all good. No, a tinderbox is assumed and not tracked/necessary. If I remember correctly, you have 10 flasks of lantern oil already, so that's enough to get you to the dungeon and back and still have half left over. If you want to give your two guardsmen a set of ten torches each, that's just an extra 1 gold to cover the both of them.

And sure, you commission a nice man-catching net.]


The next morning, Aurgelmyr picks up his newly made weighted net and makes his way to the Mouth of the Serpent. The massive stone facade of a Serpent is carved into the wall of the great cavern of Aboya, serving as a gate for one of its busiest thoroughfares. Entering the serpent's mouth leads one up the Serpent's Ascent, a steep tunnel leading quickly up to the shallower sections of the Labyrinth.

Shekkad and Shom are both waiting there for him, and together, the two humans and the duerga begin their trek up the tunnel. Along the way, they pass by the mining settlement known as Old Pit. A frequent stop for duerga and human student-petitioners awaiting a proper Majister tutor, many end of working the mines here, pulling up iron ore and sometimes jewels from the Old Pit's surprisingly abundant veins. The walls of Old Pit are famously made of glistening black obsidian, the side-effect of an ancient Majister's spell. With no reason to stop there, however, the three move on, away from Aboya and civilization. [OOC: You encountered a mining camp like immediately outside of leaving the gates, so it's natural to assume it's just part of the Aboyan Labyrinthine sprawl.]

Climbing up the Serpent's Ascent takes two days. The third day, as per Sigrun's instructions, is Ifreet's Walk; the glistening black obsidian tunnels are a bit unnerving in the lamplight, but soon they break out into the Painted Hollows. These massive, open caverns are stratified with multicolored rock, making them actually quite beautiful in the torchlight. It is here, in the Hollows, where they see their first living creature. Dimly in the distance, Aurgelmyr and his men spot what looks to be a lone torch. Since it was in their path anyway, they made no attempt to avoid it... however, once the party was about 70' from the man, they noticed its strange, shuffling gait, and the twisting, flexing tendrils that seemed to be dripping from the sleeves of its robes. Though it was vaguely humanoid in shape, whatever this thing was, it didn't appear human. Luckily, however, it hadn't noticed them yet.

[OOC: On day 4 you got an encounter. It hasn't noticed you, though. You can fight this thing (whatever it is), or you can try to make a Dexterity check to sneak past it.]
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 6 posts
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 07:18
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Traveling the Labyrinth was always an experience. The enchanting beauty of the shimmering reflection on the obsidian walls of Ifreet's Walk, and then the multicoloured splendour of the Hollows kept the trip quite pleasant.

Of course, eventually that had to end, and end it did. Aurgelmyr and gripped the haft of his axe tightly. "Best if we can avoid it, boys. Fight only if we have to." He said, lowering his lantern, wondering if he should perhaps snuff it out.

[OOC:
13:21, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 14 using 2d8+1.  Dexterity check to avoid encounter.]

This message was last edited by the player at 07:22, Sun 26 Feb 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 107 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 20:17
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Lowering the flame on his lantern until it was very nearly out, Aurgelmyr guided his guardsmen by the hand, relying on his keen duerga eyesight to bypass the creature in the darkness. Giving the strange, shuffling entity and its circle of torchlight a wide berth, the party carefully skirted past it and continued their journey. Shekkad and Shom were practically shivering with terror, but their weak human eyes were a mercy. Aurgelmyr could see the creature with entirely too much detail; its face was an empty suckered ring of teeth, and its hands were flexing, coiling, whip-like tentacles. Strange things were rumored to prowl the Labyrinth, and Aurgelmyr was all too happy to skip a direct conflict with this one.

The next day, Aurgelmyr's duerga senses come in handy again when he narrowly stops Shom from stumbling into a sinkhole. [OOC: You got an event, but made your save.] Skirting the weak stone, they take a few side-tunnels before spotting signposts pointing the way to Kenoluhm. Soon, the party comes across a broad, carved tunnel of smooth basalt and granite, clearly wrought by skilled duerga hands. The entire area is lit brightly by rows of pitch-covered torches, and in the distance, about 100' Aurgelmyr can see the earthen walls of Kenoluhm. Unfortunately, there is also a group of armed duerga about 60' down the path, their many armored, and all smeared with blood. They look to be feral citizen of Kenoluhm, but they haven't spotted Aurgelmyr or his guards yet.

[OOC: You've reached your destination, consuming 5 rations and 2 flasks of oil in the process. You also got an encounter on your last day. You have initiative and haven't been spotted yet.]
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 7 posts
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 06:03
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
The specter of that terrible thing haunted his dreams the next night, but he was supremely glad to avoided actually tangling with it. As they approached Kenoluhm however, that luck seemed to run out.

"Steady, lads,"
he told the two guards, holding up his hand. "Be ready to justify the coin I spent on you." He breathed out slowly, one hand on the haft of his axe, but the other held free. If he could maybe cast a spell...

[OOC: I want to cast the Amber Cloud of Somnolence. I am a little unclear what I should roll for that though.]
The Reaper
 GM, 122 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 04:39
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: It affects 2d4 hit dice of targets, so in the future you can roll that if you want. I'll generally handle monster's saves, though. If you cast a spell that does damage, you can either roll the damage ahead of time yourself, or let me roll it. Up to you.]

Aurgelmyr is easily able to plant the epicenter of his spell in the center of the duerga, but some strange frenzy seems to allow the majority to shake off the effects of the soporific. Only two duerga fall unconscious, while the remaining four rush toward Aurgelmyr. Shekkod and Shom bound to his side, and for a time, the four duerga and the party of three circle each other, brandishing their weapons. The duerga men seem strange, their features drawn and hungry, their clothing and armor smeared with copious blood and other types of filth. They don't speak intelligibly, but instead scream and curse at Aurgelmyr, daring him to attack.

[OOC:
20:34, Today: The Reaper rolled 10 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 6.
20:34, Today: The Reaper rolled 4 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 5.
20:33, Today: The Reaper rolled 12 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 4.
20:33, Today: The Reaper rolled 14 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 3.
20:33, Today: The Reaper rolled 17 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 2.
20:33, Today: The Reaper rolled 17 using 2d8+1.  Saving Throw for Duerga Cultist 1.
Wow. These cultists rolled super hot on their saves, and you only knocked out 2/6, even though you managed to target all 6. The survivors used a double move to get in your face... Shekkad and Shom basically also double moved to get into position. Consider everybody in melee range of everybody. Your turn.]

Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 8 posts
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 11:19
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Aurgelmyr cursed under his breath. He had hoped to affect more than just two! Still, three against four were better odds. As Shekkod and Shom rushed forward, he wrapped both hands tightly around the haft of his axe and with a cry, entered the fray.

[OOC: Right, hope I did this correctly.
17:18, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 4 using 1d4+1.  Damage roll (+1 from axe) .
17:18, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 19 using 1d20+3.  Attack roll (Strength based) +1 from axe.]

The Reaper
 GM, 131 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 06:40
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: Close! You also add your attribute modifier (Strength in this case) to the damage roll, which in this case bumps your damage total up 6, for 2 points of damage; enough to take out two duerga!

You also forgot your Fray die, which I rolled for you... you did an additional 1 damage, meaning you took out all but one of the duerga yourself. Super badass.]


Shekkod and Shom kept the feral duerga at bay for a moment with their pikes. The duerga seemed to ignore Aurgelmyr for the time being, apparently unaware he was the source of the soporific magic, and underestimating him because he wore cloth and carried no shield, unlike the humans. Underestimating him was a mistake, however. Unveiling his magic axe, Giltak, Aurgelmyr carved effortlessly through first one duerga, then a second. The third and fourth, seeing this, broke and ran, their wild mania subsiding at least long enough to allow some measure of self-preservation. Seeing an opportunity as they ran back near the site of his spell, Aurgelmyr summoned the dredges of his magic, recycling some of the ambient energy from that cloud of amber sleep gas to reinvigorate the thaumatoligcal formula while it was still fresh in his mind.

A gaseous jet of amber reached out and touched one of the fleeing duerga. The maniac promptly fell asleep, tumbling to the ground and busting his unarmored head open on a rock. Shekkod and Shom stood in slack-jawed awe of their employer for a moment, while the remaining duerga continued fleeing toward the city [OOC: Shekkod and Shom actually both made regular attacks and opportunity attacks against the final, fleeing duerga. All four missed, but I just thought this was funnier.]

With the immediate threat over, Aurgelmyr had some choices to make. Should he allow the last duerga to escape into the gates of the outpost (moving at a dead sprint, he was now almost 60' away again), or chase after and kill him? There was also the question of the two duerga who had succumbed to Aurgelmyr's magicks (and hadn't accidentally busted their heads open). Aurgelmyr knew from previous experimentation that they would wake in 10 minutes; should he attempt to tie them up, or cut their throats? Or did he plan to be long gone by then? And then there was the question of whether or not Aurgelmyr really wanted to enter the compromised outpost with his potent arcane talents expended, or if he wanted to take a few hours to regroup and steel himself for the horrors doubtlessly inside.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:46, Sun 05 Mar 2017.

Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 10 posts
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 13:12
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[Ah, yes, I did forget the Fray die! Will keep that in mind.]

Glitak carved through the feral duerga like butter, and all Aurgelmyr had to do was swing it. He was not the kind to take pleasure in carnage, but there was certainly a sense of satisfaction at how easily he'd taken down three of the enemy. The awed looks in Shekkod and Shom's faces probably had something to do with that.

It was not all roses, however. That last duerga was quite far away now; Aurgelmyr really did not want for him to alert any of his mad brethren and turn this into a pitched battle which they had no chance of winning.

And to add to it, much of his magic was depleted. He did not wish to venture into this blasted place without his sorceries at his fingers.

Thinking quickly, Aurgelmyr loosened one of his spears and hefted it. "Here goes nothing," he muttered and running up as far as he could, he threw the spear at the retreating duerga.

[I hope I got that right this time...

19:10, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 2 using 1d4.  Fray die.
19:09, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 6 using 1d4+2.  Damage roll.
19:09, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 14 using 1d20+2.  Throwing spear.]

The Reaper
 GM, 145 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 05:23
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
Picking up the spear, Aurgelmyr trotted a short distance forward before hurling it perfectly. The distant duerga staggered slightly before suddenly slumping forward, a wobbling spear protruding from his back.

With that taken care of, Aurgelmyr and his hired hands found a blind crevasse not far from the gates of the duerga settlement to settle in for a short rest before moving into the outpost proper. [OOC: I read your previous post to take it you wanted to rest and regain your magic before heading into Kenoluhm. You do so and don't have any issues.]

Fully refreshed, Aurgelmyr, Shekkod and Shom made their way into the gates of Kenoluhm. Kenoluhm was a trade town positioned in a narrow tunnel that connected the deep tunnels of the true Labyrinth with some of the shallower cave systems of the surface. The outpost prospered by charging travelers a toll to use its roads, and over the years slowly collapsed other tunnels for miles around, funneling traffic through its narrow walls. Due to this scheme, there was only one viable entrance into Kenoluhm, and presumably an exit through their customs station on the other side, where the former (sane) residents of Kenoluhm once extracted the tolls that were their citadel's lifeblood.

Progressing through the wide open main gate, Aurgelmyr saw the now-deserted thoroughfares of Kenoluhm, large enough to fit five wagons traveling side-to-side. It was difficult not to feel a bit anxious by their now empty state.

Further ahead, Aurgelmyr saw six more duerga cultists, their bodies smeared with blood and ranting and raving at nothing. There was unfortunately no way around them, and nowhere to hide in the broad, empty courtyard that lead to Kenohulm's gatehouse. At first, the duerga called out to Aurgelmyr, saying, "Hail Reaper! He's returned! Hail the coming cry to devour the world!"

They sound happy, almost jovial, as they call this out. But, suddenly, their mood darkens. Did they only now recognize that Aurgelmyr wasn't one of them? Did they just now spot the two humans, wielding spears and shields, lumbering behind him? Aurgelmyr wasn't sure, but he did have a moment to react as he saw them take off at a dangerous sprint toward him... the closest was about 60' away.

[OOC: They sort of attacked immediately on sight, but you're a hero you win initiative. What do you do? There are six duerga, scattered about 60 to 100 feet away from you.]
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 11 posts
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 17:25
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
The strange, disturbing greeting had unnerved Aurgelmyr; it was given so jovially, up until the feral duerga seemed to notice that he was not similarly afflicted. It was frightening to think of the Reaper's mark on the duerga again; he had no intention of becoming like one of these creatures.

He shouted at Shekkod and Shom to ready themselves, hefting Glitak himself. He didn't wish to use up his magic again, not when the duerga were so scattered. Not for the first time, he wished he had learned more combat-effective magic.

"Stay close, boys! Don't let them divide us!" He warned the two guards. With a cry, he lifted his axe, ready to spill some more blood, heinous though the necessity was.



[23:24, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 2 using 1d4.  Fray die.
23:24, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 5 using 1d4+3.  Damage Roll.
23:24, Today: Aurgelmyr Toldun rolled 9 using 1d20+3.  Attack with Axe]
.
The Reaper
 GM, 151 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 03:31
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
As Aurgelmyr readies his axe, he spares a mote of magical energy to trip up one of the attacking duerga. Murmuring a minor formula of mighty Earth, shards of stone erupt from under the feet of one of the charging madmen. It's enough to trip him up and cause him to fall on his spear.

Shekkod and Shom, for their part, hurl their lighter throwing spears, keeping their second spear for the imminent melee. Shekkod's javelin sails wide, but Shom's strikes true, skewering a second duerga. The remaining four pressed on, however, quickly surrounding Shekkod, Shom, and Aurgelmyr. "What's wrong with them?" Shekkod said, seeming a bit panicked. It seems this was more than the two mercenaries had signed up for, when first they agree to accompany a nondescript duerga to quiet little Kenohulum. Still, though, the followed Aurgelmyr's orders and did not allow the raving madmen to divide them. They stood back to back beside their employer, trying to keep the duerga with their short swords and hatchets at bay with their longer spears.
Aurgelmyr Toldun
 player, 12 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 15:37
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: I didn't know he/I could do that! Just to be clear, was that because of the enchanted weapon, or something else?]
The Reaper
 GM, 154 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 05:45
Aurgelmyr Toldun, Level 1
[OOC: That's your Fray die! As long as you don't roll a 1, you can do 1 damage to a creature with HD equal to or less than your level within 60' of your. Since you're a magic-user, your Fray die are assumed to be spells- they're the only Fray die that can even harm creatures stronger than you. You can easily reflavor them as weapon attacks if you want, but Fray is usually limited to weapon range/ammunition. The magic-user's "magical Fray" is sort of the exception.

Anyway, the feral duerga basically spent their turn getting into range for melee attacks. It's your turn again, but I went ahead and rolled Shekkod and Shom's attacks too.]


Despite his momentary panic, Shekkod seemed to find his mettle, driving his heavier spear through one of the neck of a charging, snarling, filth-streaked duerga. Shom, meanwhile, kept a pair of hatchet-wielding duerga off with his spear and shield.