Vor Quelin, Level 1.   Posted by The Reaper.Group: 0
Vor Quelin
 player, 10 posts
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 11:09
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor let loose with one more shot of his bow, focusing on letting loose with the roiling energies within to aid him.


OOC:
06:09, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 1 using 1d4.  Fray Die.
06:09, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 5 using 1d20+1.  Vor Attack Roll.

The Reaper
 GM, 126 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 2 Mar 2017
at 21:21
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor's aim seemed a bit shakier now that the quarters were closer, and his shot went wide. Additionally, the other akaname seemed able to shake off whatever crackling curse the aui threw at him; the akaname were famously without souls, which made them a bit difficult to affect with certain magics...

[OOC: This is just flavor text, really the akaname was unaffected because your Fray die came up 1. 1 = no damage.]

Within moments, they were upon Vor Quelin. The first akaname jabbed at Vor, but the Aui was able to dodge out of the way. His compatriot then whacked Vor with the haft of his spear, perhaps hoping to knock Vor off-balance and set him up for his partner to skewer.

[OOC: One missed, one hit and did no damage.]
Vor Quelin
 player, 11 posts
Fri 3 Mar 2017
at 17:04
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor backed up into the tree, the creatures on him. He dropped his bow now that they were this close, and with a snarl and small focus of will, his arm lengthened into a sharp tip, the flesh hardening to the strength of bone.  He jabbed wildly at one, focusing his energies again to lash out.


11:19, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 1 using 1d4.  Vor Fray (Correct Roll).

11:19, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 6 using 1d20.  Vor attack.

The Reaper
 GM, 132 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 06:56
Vor Quelin, Level 1
The akaname seemed only mildly surprised by Vor's powers of transformation. Vor had already demonstrated that he was capable of magic, after all. They two remaining akaname warriors jabbed at Vor Quelin with spears, but Vor managed to keep his feet. [OOC: Haha, the whiff fest continues. Your turn.]
Vor Quelin
 player, 12 posts
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 14:20
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor tried to keep the tree near him so he wouldn't have one of these creatures at his back fighting back with his arms made into stiff blades, his own power lashing out.



09:20, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 3 using 1d4.  Fray Dice.
09:20, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 6 using 1d20.  Attack.

The Reaper
 GM, 134 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 6 Mar 2017
at 04:56
Vor Quelin, Level 1
One of Vor's sharpened limbs sliced into an akaname warrior, nearly bisecting him. Red blood joined the misting rain as the amphibious warrior fell. The lone surviving spearman, enraged, jabbed Vor's side with his weapon. [OOC: The survivor hit you for 1 damage. Your turn.]
Vor Quelin
 player, 13 posts
Mon 6 Mar 2017
at 23:00
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor thrust forward with both of his sharpened arms towards the creature, his limbs crackling with the energy within.


17:59, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 4 using 1d4.  Vor Fray.
17:59, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 12 using 1d20.  Vor Attack.

The Reaper
 GM, 137 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 03:40
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor Quelin neatly decapitated the last remaining akaname raider with a deadly scissor-attack. Searching the bodies, Vor Quelin finds silver and copper in the purses of the fallen fish-men, equivalent to 6 GP altogether, and consisting of countless denominations plundered from countless nations. The aui also finds a bronze ring on the finger of the last akaname to fall, one generously studded with perfectly polished rose quartz crystals. It looks to be worth easily 600 GP.

Taking a moment to bandage his wounds [OOC: I'm assuming you do this, it's just kinda common sense unless you don't have 10 minutes to spare for some reason. You regain 2 HP for doing so.]

Before Vor Quelin was the waterlogged village of Great Cloud. The question for the aui was whether to enter now, or wait a day to replenish his magics. Giving it some time might also allow the floodwaters to recede a bit... or allow more time for the weather to grow even worse. Tough to say.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:40, Wed 08 Mar 2017.

Vor Quelin
 player, 14 posts
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 16:46
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Not knowing what might await him, Vor felt it was more prudent to gather his strength and magics.  There might be more patrols in the village, so he looked for a suitable campsite out of the pouring rain in order to wait the night unobserved.
The Reaper
 GM, 143 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 03:59
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Glancing around, Vor Quelin quickly spots a small, grassy hillock rising above the floodwaters, crowned with a copse of trees that should provide adequate shelter for a hardy aui like himself. Spending the night in the shelter of the canopy of leaves, Vor Quelin has plenty of time to meditate and satisfy the Law of Allocation, one of the most vital and fundamental laws of magic. Magical energy could do incredible things, but it would always flow back into the Plane of Magic, like an elastic band that, after stretching, returned to its original form. Vor Quelin knew that toying with that elastic band so soon again might cause it to snap - which in this analogy, would be very bad for Vor Quelin indeed!

It was difficult to tell with the omnipresent gray skies of the monsoon season, but near what Vor Quelin assumed was dawn he felt the pulse and pull of the Plane of Magic against his soul once again. His occult powers refreshed, the aui continued down the flooded path to Great Cloud Village.

The goods news was that the village itself seemed surprisingly free of akaname raiders. The bad news was that this was likely due to the fact that most of the village was now fully submerged; the flooding in Great Cloud was somehow even worse than the survivors said. After exploring a few partially-submerged shops and huts, Vor Quelin is soaked below the waist but unable to find any clear sign of akaname or shen activity among the churning brown waters.

Really, the last building of any significance in Great Cloud not completely consumed by the flood is the city hall, an eclectic, two-story building that combines a monument to its founder, Red, a small prison, and offices for its treasurer, guard captain, administrator and headman. Built on a hill overlooking the fetid pond that was once the village square, Vor Quelin sees two obvious entrances: the main entrance (wooden double doors atop a short flight of stone steps), or a small, waterlogged garden in the back protected by a tall iron fencing (which an aui like Vor could effortlessly sluice through).
Vor Quelin
 player, 16 posts
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 17:17
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Completing the search of the town left Vor realizing he only had left to search was the building on the hill.  After viewing it from a distance, he decided to approach slowly, his wand at the ready, in order to slide through the gate.  After tossing his pack over the fence, he pressed his body against the bars, his form softening and pushing forward through the bars.

He watched the building, his wand at hand and his magics restored as he gathered his pack to move forward to the building.
The Reaper
 GM, 147 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 05:34
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Squeezing easily through the gate, Vor Quelin sees a back door into the building, a nondescript and luckily unlocked door that leads to an expansive storeroom. There's an unobtrusive desk against one wall, as well as a small closet area filled with peasant cloaks and leather boots, but most of the room is given over to rows upon rows of shelves, all filled with parchment scrolls. Literacy was rare among former slaves, but Great Cloud took pride in cultivating that talent among their youth. Taking one of the scrolls off the shelf, Vor glanced over it. It was covered in information about interest rates and crop yields. This seemed to be a file room.

There were doors to both Vor Quelin's east and south, sturdy wooden constructions that seemed to lead to other rooms. There was light coming from underneath the southern door, but not the eastern.
Vor Quelin
 player, 17 posts
 Wand Charges 25
Sat 11 Mar 2017
at 13:29
Vor Quelin, Level 1
With light under the southern door, Vor suspected there was someone there.  That meant that hopefully the eastern might be abandoned, or with something resting in the dark.  Leading with his wand, he tried to quietly open the eastern door to peek within.
The Reaper
 GM, 150 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 03:23
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor Quelin wedges open the eastern door to reveal a room much like the one he's standing in. Desks and papers for various files are here, though this room seems primarily dedicated to floor plans and maps of various types. Peeking through the crack, Vor Quelin can indeed see the slumbering shapes of a few akaname here, where it looks like they've hauled aside desks to lay down some cots.

The beam of light from the door crosses the face of the dozing akaname. It snorts, then its eyes blink open, very much awake. It's spotted Vor Quelin! Shouting something in its garbled tongue, it tries to rouse its comrades. Vor Quelin has a moment to react, though...

[OOC: The eastern room had three akaname in it, who spotted you. You win initiative as normal, though.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:24, Mon 13 Mar 2017.

Vor Quelin
 player, 18 posts
 Wand Charges 25
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 13:03
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor stepped back into the doorway and held out his hand, calling forth his spell once again, the misty vapor pushing into the room. He let forward a piece of his own power to strike the closest akaname, hoping the spell put the others to sleep.

OOC: 09:01, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 3 using 1d4.  Vor Fray die.
Vor casts Amber Cloud

The Reaper
 GM, 152 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 05:36
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Calling upon the soporific nature of his magic, Vor Quelin sent one akaname tumbling forever into the Dreamscape. Its comatose body fell quivering uselessly to the floor, its spear clattering out of its grasp as it babbled and foamed at the lips.

[OOC:
22:18, Today: The Reaper rolled 16 using 2d8+1.  Akaname 2 Save.
22:18, Today: The Reaper rolled 13 using 2d8+1.  Akaname 1 Save.
Yeesh. I'm sorry. Sometimes the mooks roll hot. Farewell, sweet one and only level 1 spell slot...]


Vor Quelin frowned. He hadn't expected to concentrate all of the magical slumber into only one target. This was the nature of akaname, however... their lack of soul made certain types of magic react in strange ways. In this case, all of Vor Quelin's power pooled in the first available vessel, leaving the poor fool brain damaged and no doubt dying, while his two all-too-able-bodied comrades shook off their (natural) slumber and grabbed their spears to avenge him.

Vor Quelin instinctively tried to slam the door, but the two remaining akaname jammed their spears into the door frame and prevented him from closing it.

[OOC: The two remaining akaname spend their turn moving to you, getting in the door, and generally getting ready to fight after being caught in a prone position.]
Vor Quelin
 player, 19 posts
 Wand Charges 25
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 21:16
Vor Quelin, Level 1
The remaining two were just where Vor needed them to be.  With a frown, he held the slim wand ahead of him and let loose with the power within.

Using his wand of piercing light
and Fray die
17:16, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 1 using 1d4.  Vor Fray.

The Reaper
 GM, 160 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 06:06
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: For kicks, I rolled your damage this time. You ended up doing 6. Considering the cramped quarters (you're essentially fighting in a doorway), and the sheer overkill in damage, I think it's safe to assume you can hit them both with a single magical laser of doom. Even if they made their save, they're be extra crispy.]

Holding his wand aloft, a beam of brilliant white light lit up the cramped offices of the municipal building. The beam of burning hot starlight shines straight through both of the akaname as they foolish try to crowd through the doorway at once.

Once burned to a crisp, the aui avenger has the chance to search their bodies and finds these akaname, unfortunately, were not in the habit of sleeping in their jewelry. The room they were in holds little of value. Desks and cabinets hold long rolls of parchment covered in what look to be maps and blueprints, probably of the submerged buildings outside and the water-swollen rice paddies Vor Quelin saw on his way into Great Cloud. Many of the maps and files had been destroyed by the akaname, used to make crude bedding, apparently.

Beyond this room, there is a sturdy-looking door to the north, this one also with light under it. There was another room with light under it, in the previous offices Vor Quelin entered. Finally, to his right (and what he judged to be north) was a curiously small, arched door that Vor Quelin would have to stoop a bit to get under, that lead to another room to the south. This one was dark.
Vor Quelin
 player, 20 posts
 Wand Charges 24
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 14:09
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Again thinking that the lighted rooms might indicate where someone was, he entered the small, stooped doorway, wand at the ready as he peered into the area.


OOC: that was my intent.  One shot knock-out.

The Reaper
 GM, 163 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 19:58
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: Not that it matters hugely, but there was a typo in my previous post. The "small, stooped doorway" I mentioned was actually to your south, not north. Still assuming you want to go through it, however.]

Ducking under the small door, Vor Quelin is a bit surprised that it leads to a very large room. Tiled with local stones, this immense, vaulted chamber no doubt takes up most of the space of the actual building. The majority of the room is quite empty, save for a stone spiral staircase coiling tightly up into the second story of this building. Some recessed stone steps also lead into a dimly-illuminated room below, as well.

It seems this room is a sort of memorial for Red, Great Cloud's semi-mythic founder. In the center of the room is a large plaque inserted in the flagstones, reading:

quote:
BENEATH THESE STONES
LIES RED THE RED-HANDED.
LIBERATOR. FOUNDER. HERO.
"OUR CHAINS ARE BUT METAL,
AND METAL BENDS. OUR SOULS
ARE FORGED FROM STERNER STUFF."


To his right, on the western side of the building, an archway leads into a smaller chamber, this one well-lit by leaping, flickering flames. Vor Quelin can't see what's inside because the archway itself is fairly narrow, but the flagstones on the ground make it seem like a continuation of Red's memorial in some way. In addition to the stairs, there are also two large, impressive wooden double-doors, twelve feet tall, to Vor Quelin's left, leading to what he assumes is the main entrance of this large municipal building.

A close inspection of the room reveals that, while the materials used in constructing this shrine are of no great value, Great Cloud clearly invested a lot of time and money in creating a particularly large and elaborate monument to their town hero. Though he almost misses it while gazing down at the plaque, after glancing up Vor Quelin sees that numerous tributes and mementos to Red the Founder have been left here by the residents of Great Cloud; indeed the rafters and upper ceilings are cluttered with small gems, dolls, prayer flags and scrolls, and similar trinkets. It occurs to Vor Quelin that, if the floodwaters rise much more, even these tributes might be carried away, and the headman of Great Cloud might appreciate him gathering them up. Or he could just swipe the items of obvious value, which seem to him would fetch up to 600 GP at market.

[OOC: Spotting the trinkets was a hidden treasure roll you aced.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:22, Wed 05 Apr 2017.

Vor Quelin
 player, 21 posts
 Wand Charges 24
Tue 4 Apr 2017
at 10:22
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor makes a mental note to return to take the trinkets back to the headman.  These are of great value to the villagers, for they were memories and memorials, and that made them important.

He turned to enter the narrow entryway, sliding down narrow path to see what was beyond.
The Reaper
 GM, 175 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Fri 7 Apr 2017
at 07:33
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Heading through the western portal, Vor Quelin enters a small shrine dedicated to Red, also constructed of gray stone. The stones of the altar are blistered black, however, by the brilliant, blazing heat of a warhammer held aloft by delicate bronze chains, making it appear to hover mystically over the altar. Though the weapon isn't actually levitating, it is miraculously enshrouded in a corona of crackling, magical flames.

Wise in the ways of magic and familiar with the local culture as he was, Vor Quelin knew immediately that this was Red's hammer, or Redhammer in the legends. Red supposed to forged it himself from magical, black heatless fire he stole from one of his drowned junin lords. The magical weapon wouldn't have permitted mere akaname to loot it, but its flames died down for a moment as soon as Vor Quelin laid eyes on it, temporarily tamed. The headman of Great Cloud had mentioned this hammer, and further suggested that Vor Quelin had permission to use it. There was no doubt it was a powerful weapon, and Vor could feel from the magic radiating off the thing that the legends were very, very true.

[OOC: So this is a +2 blazing warhammer! That means that, since it's a 1d8 warhammer, you have to use Strength in your attacks with it, and its 1d8 damage die is lessened to 1d4 because you're a puny magic user. That's the (only) bad news. The good news is that it adds +2 to both attack and damage, so the 1 point of Dexterity bonus you lose doesn't hurt so much. Best of all, it also does 1d6 fire damage on a successful hit. If you roll well, you can do 4 damage in a single strike from this hammer, which is just downright crazy for a level 1 magic-user!

Anyway, point is it might not seem like the ideal weapon for your class, but you have had the luckiest hit on the magic item table so far by a long shot.]


The only other exit from the shrine Vor Quelin could see was a narrow doorway set into the north wall of the stone. After a moment's thought, the aui mage realized that this door led to the offices he'd already been to.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:36, Fri 07 Apr 2017.

Vor Quelin
 player, 22 posts
 Wand Charges 24
Sat 8 Apr 2017
at 00:33
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor paused a moment, looking at the hammer.  Yes, the headman did say that he could take this weapon for his own in defense of the village and as payment, but this was an artifact of a great warrior, and he would not simply steal something like this from this crypt.

"I thank thee, great warrior," he whispered, aware he was still surrounded by enemies. "I pledge to use your weapon as you intended." With that, he reached forward to take the hammer.  He could feel the power pulse through it, his own arcane nature humming in tune with the power within.

Just the feel of the weapon seemed to fill him with purpose.  Cautiously opened the door, looking out to see if any of the creatures might have returned to fill the office where he had searched before.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:59, Sat 08 Apr 2017.

The Reaper
 GM, 176 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 9 Apr 2017
at 23:09
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Plunging his hand fearlessly into the corona of flames that surrounded Redhammer, Vor Quelin felt palpable heat, but no pain. The flames did not burn his skin. Whether it was due to his aui nature, his own magical abilities, or the will of the late Red, Vor Quelin wasn't sure. Probably some combination of the three.

Vor Quelin opened the door to the office, only to find that it was as still as the grave. To the right of the office was the map and file room, where Vor had slain three sleeping akaname. There was another door to the north of that map and file room that was still unexplored, as was the grand foyer, and the rooms both below ground and on the second floor, accessible from Red's memorial.
Vor Quelin
 player, 23 posts
 Wand Charges 24
Thu 20 Apr 2017
at 12:27
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor knew he had been more than fortunate so far, but he had made a commitment to the villagers. He would free their home if he had to die to do it. It was who he was.  It was his nature.  For a shapeshifter, he knew that his morals were rigid and inflexible.

It was best to clear the immediate area, so he pressed forward quietly, listening to the door to the north, hammer in hand.