Vor Quelin, Level 1.   Posted by The Reaper.Group: 0
The Reaper
 GM, 84 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 20 Feb 2017
at 05:45
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor Quelin sat in a small hut in Rose Water Village, watching the hetman of both Rose Water Village and neighboring Great Cloud Village staring back at him from the across the table. The hetman of Great Cloud was noticeably dripping wet from head to toe. This was understandable, since by all accounts Great Cloud suffered a flash flood the other night. Worse still, this flood brought with it a shapeshifting shen.

Though Vor had witnessed far worse horrors at the hands of the Dark Empire out in the Void, Vor knew the water elementals known as shen were more than capable of their own brand of carnage. Unthinking beasts, they delighted in slaying mortals and smashing low the works of men. While Vor Quelin knew Sia faced greater threats than rampaging elementals, he had to admit he'd grown fond of the twin villages far north in the Fields of Saeryn, dangerously close to the shores of the Vast Sea. Many of the villagers here were slaves who had escaped the dread akaname, sometimes through Saerynite intervention but more commonly through personal grit, tenacity and luck. Though he concealed his aui nature, Vor Quelin admired the indomitable spirit of these humans, and had in fact helped free many of them from their captors himself.

So now, when they came to him for help, he was inclined to listen. "Please, both our communities owe you so much already, Vor Quelin," the hetman of Rose Water spoke. "But Rose Water cannot take in all the refugees from the flood. And if the shen isn't put down soon, the akaname may move in and plunder the ruins. It's possible it's they that released the shen, after all."

"Great Cloud is only a six day walk northwest along the shore of the Vast Sea," Great Cloud's sopping wet and aged hetman then said, wringing out his beard on the table. "Most of my people have lost everything, but some things we left behind. Among those things is the enchanted hammer of our founder, who take the name Red after freedom. He was a smith, a warrior, and blessed by the domains of Life and Fire. His hammer burned with flame even in the lightless depths of the Vast Sea, and he used it sunder the chains of the junin and found Great Cloud at an auspicious site. It's a very powerful weapon, and I'm sure its touch would be anathema to a shen. If you can recover it, it's yours. I can think of no better bearer."

The hetman of Rose Water then nodded sagely in agreement. "Yes, yes, of course. It goes without saying, Vor, that you will be well-compensated if you can slay the shen and save Great Cloud village. The coffers of both villages will be open to you."
Vor Quelin
 player, 1 post
Mon 20 Feb 2017
at 13:47
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor gave a nod and a small smile, a reflex that he found sometimes put people at ease.  It had taken a long time to work those expressions into his guise, but he had discovered that he moved much easier when he was one of many faces, not one that stood out.

This face was one he kept when among those he was familiar and friendly with.  It allowed for times like this when those who needed help were able to find him.  "I thank you, but I would accept your request for aid without the offering of what you may have been able to save in your coffers. I am sure your village can put it to good use.  Tell me all that you can of where the Shen seem to be located and anything you can of their number.  I will be able to leave immediately.  The sooner you are returned to your home, the better for both villages."
The Reaper
 GM, 88 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 20:31
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: I've updated the bestiary with some info on the shen (scroll all the way to the bottom). Vor's is facing off against a lesser shen. Consider everything there to be relatively common knowledge.]

"Only one, thank Saeryn," the hetman of Rose Water answers. "They're typically very solitary creatures, though I suppose a mating pair is hypothetically possible..."

The hetman trails off, scratching his beard, but his colleague from flooded Great Cloud shakes his head firmly. "No, only one reported. It was last reported in the village square, gleefully wrecking buildings as the villagers fled. It's possible it has since moved on from the village proper, but if so, I don't think you should have difficulty tracking it... they're not terribly subtle creatures."

"Shen tend to roost where they're summoned, considering it 'their' territory,"  the hetman of Rose Water continues. "Summoning a shen behind enemy lines is a tactic as old as war magic itself, one the akaname have long used to terrorize folk like us. The real threat here are the akaname, but if you can clear out the shen before they have a chance to properly move in and occupy, the Rose Water warriors can ride out to repel them. And from there, the Great Cloud villagers can return to their fields, and both communities will continue to thrive. You can refuse payment if you truly wish, Vor Quelin, but we can both afford it and would consider it a matter of honor paying you for this service. You've done much for many of us already. Is there anything else you need from us before you go?"
Vor Quelin
 player, 3 posts
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 21:45
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor shook his head.  "No.  No, I believe I have what I need.  I will leave today, and with good fortune, I should return with good news.  Or not return at all."

He nods to the men, then departs to his room in the inn to gather what few belongings he owns to begin his travels to the village and his quest.
The Reaper
 GM, 94 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 22:39
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: A note on your equipment: the "adventurer's pack" you get in the quickstart rules doesn't really exist in the full rules. I've been interpreting "adventurer's pack" to mean:
- A backpack
- 10 days worth of rations
- A full waterskin
- Camping gear for 1 person

That's a total of 11 gold. Subtracting from your starting roll of 90, you have 79 left over. Carrying a weapon might be a good idea; even though as an aui you can use lustrous shaping to approximate weapons, doing so will pretty much instantly "out" you as an aui. Let me know what kind of weapon you would want (you can use any kind of weapon you please as a magic-user, but your damage die will always be limited to 1d4), as you can easily afford it. I recommend something like a short sword or a dagger, which would use Dexterity instead of Strength, so your character would be a little more able with it. Daggers are nice because you can also throw them up to 15', or 30' with a -2 penalty, so you can pick up a few for short-range attacks.]


Gathering his equipment from his rented room, Vor Quelin left the gates of Rose Water Village and followed the muddy trail along the shore as he was instructed. There was a steady rain falling on the day he left, a rain that continued into the evening and through the night. Not unusual for the season, and not severe enough to hamper his travels. During the unpleasant wet season, and with the akaname raiders known to be on the prowl, Vor Quelin did not encounter anyone else on the trail.

The first two days of travel passed without incident, just lots of wet and muddy walking. While making camp on the third evening, however, Vor Quelin noticed that the strange rock formations around his selected campsite looked more like the crumbling foundations of some ancient and forgotten stone structure. Exploring his campsite more thoroughly, the aui mage pushed aside some lush green moss to reveal a wooden trap door set into the ancient stones. The trap door looked to be made of oak, and it was strangely pristine, not rotted or broken like one would expect from the ancient construction. Carved into it was the word "Archives" in a florid Saerynite script. The door seemed to be magically sealed, but it wasn't anything Vor Quelin couldn't overcome with a bit of focused effort.

[OOC: So this is fun! You stumbled across a dungeon. You can either choose to pursue your quest in Great Cloud, or take a detour to explore an utterly unknown dungeon. Sandbox, baby!]
Vor Quelin
 player, 4 posts
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 23:35
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor thought about it, but in the end, it was more immediately important to get that village cleared for the people to return than to inspect a long hidden dungeon.  He did mark it's location, paying attention to where it was in the relation to the road and the path.  He would inspect it after the village, but there were people's lives and livelihood on the line that he had to address.  He covered and hid the entrance once more, then in the morning, began his trek again.
The Reaper
 GM, 101 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sat 25 Feb 2017
at 22:31
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: Haha, I figured. Just thought I'd leave it up to you, though. Okay, it turns out bows are pretty expensive (and a quiver of 20 arrows, which I included for you, is 6 gold), so after those weapons you still have 21 gold left over. Not bad, really.]

Concealing the exit from other greedy explorers, Vor Quelin set out the next day morning. The rain intensifies halfway through the morning, and while unpleasant, is not quite yet dangerous. The fourth day of travel passes uneventfully, and on the fifth day Vor Quelin pauses for a few moments to re-pack his supplies. While he doesn't need to eat, he knows that a person travelling alone with no rations would be suspicious... and in the heavy rain, his rations had almost been soaked through and spoiled. Luckily, he saved them in time. [OOC: This was a random event. I rolled a check for you, and you passed, but as an aui you wouldn't have been terribly effected by loss of food.]

On the sixth day, Vor Quelin finds the path to Great Cloud increasingly waterlogged. When he can first see the earth-colored stone walls of the village, Vor is also dismayed to see a full akaname patrol of six spearmen further down the road. Even worse, they spot him instantly, and take off at a full run across the muddy fields to intercept him...

[OOC: You arrived at your destination, but also encountered some unfriendly akaname. They're about 300' away. You can either try and run, or fight.]
Vor Quelin
 player, 5 posts
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 14:20
Vor Quelin, Level 1
This was proof to the hetman's concerns that the akaname were indeed either behind the shen or going to take advantage of their attack.  Vor unslings his bow, but his true weapon he would hold until they were closer, his wand within easy reach in his belt.

He stayed on the road, and waited for them to approach, his bow at the ready.  He will wait until the first of them are within bow range, and then fire.


09:19, Today: Vor Quelin rolled 3 using 1d20+1.  Vor Attack roll.
The Reaper
 GM, 110 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 20:32
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: You can move 30' a round and make an action in the same round. Or you can forgo an action to move 60' in a single round. Your bow has a max range of 210', so you were probably always going to miss, heh. 210' is also its "maximum" range, its "optimal" range is 105', and you take a -2 penalty to the attack roll for any foe further away than 105'. Heroes automatically win initiative; the only way you lose initiative is if you're ambushed. So we'll assume that (missed) shot was your first action. The akaname are going to advance a bit, and then you'll get another turn. The akaname have an AC of 9, by the way.]

Vor Quelin fires a warning shot over the heads of the akaname. The arrow arcs high above them, landing in the muddy trail in front of the charging patrol. They charge on, unconcerned and undeterred. Moving at a dead sprint, the akaname warriors are now 240' away from Vor Quelin.
Vor Quelin
 player, 6 posts
Sun 26 Feb 2017
at 22:08
Vor Quelin, Level 1
They were still coming on.  Fine.  He looked to one side, and moved into the trees, looking to ensure that he at least could have his back to a tree, then waited for them to come into range of his bow.  They knew he was going to defend himself, so let them come to their deaths.
The Reaper
 GM, 114 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Mon 27 Feb 2017
at 18:06
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor Quelin spotted a large weeping willow about 30' down the road that would be perfect for his purposes, and perhaps provide a bit of cover from akaname spears. Rushing to the tree, he then pulled back the string of his bow to release another arrow, and this time it hit one of the raiders right between the eyes. One akaname fell down into the mud, but the remaining five continued charging forward.

[OOC: I had you move 30' toward them to get into range, and rolled an attack for you. You hit despite the range penalty. Then the akaname rushed 60' closer to you. They're now 150' away. You can start using your Fray die when they're about 60'... but be warned, this is also roughly the same range as their spears!

Your turn.]

Vor Quelin
 player, 8 posts
Mon 27 Feb 2017
at 21:20
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor can't rely on good luck happening like that again, so he pauses, waiting, waiting until they are closer.  Then, he murmurs to himself, arcane words hanging heavy in the air as his fingers twist in inhuman gestures, willing the power to flow into his words and will.


OOC: Vor will wait until they are closer, another 60' if they did a double move to put them within range of his Amber Cloud of Somnolence, his one spell he has prepared for the day.
The Reaper
 GM, 117 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 05:22
Vor Quelin, Level 1
The akaname continued their charge, but before they were close enough to hurl their javelins, a strange, hissing yellow gas blossomed in their midst. One of the akaname leaped clear of the cloud and continuing running, while two managed to hold their breath as they charged through the soporific gases. One succumbed to the aui's spell, however, collapsing into the mud in magically-induced slumber.

[OOC: Wow, so the akaname rolled hot on their saves. Sorry!


21:13, Today: The Reaper rolled 12 using 2d8.  Akaname Saving Throw 4.
21:13, Today: The Reaper rolled 15 using 2d8.  Akaname Saving Throw 3.
21:13, Today: The Reaper rolled 4 using 2d8.  Akaname Saving Throw 2.
21:12, Today: The Reaper, on behalf of Vor Quelin, rolled 4 using 2d4.  Amber Cloud of Somnolence Targets.
21:11, Today: The Reaper rolled 11 using 2d8.  Akaname Saving Throw 1.]


The remaining four akaname continued their charge. At 60' feet out, Vor Quelin could hear their warbling war-cries as three of them paused to throw light spears at the aui. Two fell short of their target, plunging into the mud fifteen then five feet away, but the third found its mark, piercing painfully into Vor Quelin's shoulder and nearly pinning him to the trunk of the tree. [OOC: One of the spears hit you for 1 damage.] The fourth akaname didn't throw a spear, but continued charging at Vor Quelin across the field. Soon, this lone, lead akaname was 30' away, while the remaining three akaname were fanned out 60' away.
Vor Quelin
 player, 9 posts
Tue 28 Feb 2017
at 11:10
Vor Quelin, Level 1
Vor grunted with the effort of pulling out the spear, his flesh twisting beneath his clothes.  While the open wound closed, the pain and injury still hurt.  His flesh was malleable, his form changeable, but injuries like this were still painful.  It was a tearing of his mental shaping against his will, and like anyone else, he would need time to heal from this.

But, he finally brought them close enough for what he needed to do. Still near the willow tree, he pulled out the twisted, black piece of wood, the silvery runes on it dull in the cloudy day.  He pointed towards the nearest akaname, and spoke the words of activation.


OOC: Using wand of piercing.  Not sure what to roll for an attack with this. 
The Reaper
 GM, 123 posts
 Inevitable and
 All-Consuming
Wed 1 Mar 2017
at 04:45
Vor Quelin, Level 1
[OOC: It's a magic item, so no attack roll necessary. It just... works. Now, it does fire in a straight line, so you likely won't be able to hit all four akaname. I decided to roll 1d4 to see how many you managed to hit, and got 2, which seems sensible. You blew right through one and hit the other guy behind him. This thing does so much damage I won't even bother rolling it... they're quite dead. This thing might be a bit wasted on 1 HD creatures! But then again it has a ton of charges, so up to you...

Also, the akaname are now 60' away, which is in range of your magical Fray die, so I went ahead and rolled it for you. It did no damage, though, so let's ignore it for this round.]


Activating his wand, Vor shot a shining beam of pure white light straight through the lead akaname. The burst of Light and Fire magic was powerful that it carried straight through to another akaname, burning a hole straight through both in seconds. The remaining two akaname seemed to balk... but apparently deciding that they had already invested too much at this point to back out, they charged further ahead to engage Vor.

[OOC: The last two (barely) made their Morale check, so they double-moved to engage you. Your turn... if you make an attack and use your Fray die, you might be able to easily kill them both.]