#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 8 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 23:04
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
You find yourself in Brindol, a small town along the Dawn Way in the Elsir Vale. (Main Game Map) With a population of almost 7,000, the town's citizens are primarily humans, but half elves and dwarves also live and work in the area. About another 1,000 people of the same racial mix live within five miles of the town, giving it some sense of size and scale.

Ruled by a council of hereditary landowners and local guildsman, the city isn't without defense; soldiers make up the local militia. But the town's business is mostly trade, and for the last decade, it's been at peace.

You find yourself in Brindol, at a tavern called the Antler and Thistle. (#14 on Game Map for Group 0)

What brought you to Brindol? Any pre-existing relationships or connections between the characters? How do you look and what are you doing in the tavern? (We'll use this as a scene setter, as well as introductory posts.)
Jessica Darkwood
 player, 2 posts
 Mage 1
 AC 15 | 21 HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 05:09
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
She was very young, small for her age of 12, and somewhat lean and lanky. For a child who seemed to be travelling alone, she was obviously not lost or for that matter unprepared for travel. She wore well used, though for from tattered and quite comfortable traveller's clothes consisting of a blue shirt, brown pants, a pair of black boots and a hooded green cloak which partially concealed a backpack. The child seemed sure of herself in public but if one were seasoned enough to take a closer look, a more seasoned adventurer would instinctively realize that the inexperience of youth and being a child would not be so evident. She was too sure of herself, and not in a cocky way, too alert and careful, and her money pouch was nowhere on her person, at least not in an accessible or noticeable way, a common mistake with young adventurers.

The girl had come to Brindol for two reasons. One, despite her love of forests and the outdoors, she knew that it was tempting fate to stay out there at night. So as much as possible she tried not to go out into the wilderness for more than a few days. And finally was a more personal reason. It was currently her birthday, and she did not want to celebrate it alone. Well she was alone anyways but spending it all alone in the forest could be sometimes a little dreary and sad. She wanted to celebrate in her own way and not on rations or berries.

Entering the tavern nonconspicuously, she took a seat at a nearby table in the corner. Placing her backpack under the table and in between her legs, she noticed that the table was dirty. So with a wave of her hand over it, the table suddenly became clean and ready for use. Then she sat there and waited for a serving wench to notice her.
Grigor Albercroft
 player, 4 posts
 Warlock 1
 AC 11 | 25 HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 15:59
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Grigor slouched in his chair at the Antler and Thistle.  After swearing his oath to the Fey Lord a season ago, he had expected adventure would find him.  Now, he found himself in the tavern, as he usually did, exhausted after a day of working in the field, but unsure of what else to do.  How, exactly was one supposed to find adventure?  The tales never talked about that, just about heroes showing up when they were needed.  And Grigor had no idea how to tell if one was needed, or how to found where a hero was needed.  Stories often centered around heroes meeting in a tavern, carving out maps on wooden tables while buxom wenches served never-ending tankards of ale for their formidable thirst.  The aspiring adventure grunted and took another sip of the bitter brew before him.  Maybe Brindol was just too quiet, a prospering trade town, or perhaps the wenches weren't quite buxom enough?
Hawk
 player, 3 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 16:05
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Hawk entered the Inn, letting Iceaclease stay outside on the roof. The raptor did not much care for the smells of the place, and the last thing Hawk wanted was for someone to try to make dinner out of the bird.

He kept his hood up, not knowing how the locals felt about elves. Better safe than sorry-at least among humans anyways. He had never really understood the other race, and found them very concerning at best. Still, there was no war between his people and them-so he left them to their own devices and helped where he could.

His keen senses looked about the room, and picked out the oddest thing there-a child sitting by herself at a table. Much as if she expected to be served. Most likely her parents worked in the Inn...or where somewhere close by. However, those eyes of his picked up no looks of affection of even acknowledgement of the girl-other than in a passing way.

He moved over to the table, his hood still up. "Greetings." He said to Jessica. "I am Hawk. Do your parents run this Inn? I would like to book a room, and I wondered maybe you knew one of the better ones." It was just an excuse to talk to her, but he wanted to know if the girl was indeed at home in this village.
Harrumaku
 player, 3 posts
 Swordmage 1
 AC 14 | 30 HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 16:12
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Something thuds against the outside of the tavern, causing the ceiling lamps to sway and some soot to drop into the fireplace. Then the door opens, only no light or breeze comes in from outside, because something else is completely filling the frame. There's a bit of exertion-related grunting and a large red humanoid form, dressed in a black and green robe, makes its way inside. The regular patrons look up, still not quite used to the sight, but then return to their drinks and conversations. Some of the new patrons start trying to pay their bill as quickly as possible.

The figure emits a pained moan. "Some of your delectable tea, please. I have the most terrible headache! And I do not know why!"

The creature pushes a chair out of the way, and sits down cross-legged on the floor. This puts the thing's head at about the level of a normal humanoid. Its own head it begins massaging with two clawed fingers. Only then does it notice that it has chosen a table already occupied by a small humanoid.

"Oh! Hello! Please pardon me, but I did not see you. Would you be so kind as to allow me to share your table? I want only to sip some tea and relieve my... headache? How odd. It is much better now. Still, no sense wasting good tea. I do not think we have met. My name is Harrumaku. I am the town monster here in Brindol." He extends a hand the size of one of the Antler and Thistle's serving plates to the childlike figure across from him. He also smiles in a way that it probably thinks is kindly, but as he doesn't really have the face for "kindly" it works out more like "having to sneeze."
Hawk
 player, 4 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 16:19
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Hawk's hand reflexively goes for his bow as the...whatever it was...heads for the table. What he was not expecting was for it to sit and ask for tea. He moves his hands away from his bow, and proceeds to sit as well, never taking his eyes off of...Harrumaku as it called itself.

"Yes, if I could sit too, that would be most welcome." He says to the girl-but peering at the armed humanoid as if it was some sort of puzzle.
DM
 GM, 9 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 17:33
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
It is dinner time at the Antler and Thistle, and the tavern is relatively busy. A large man works behind the bar, drawing and pouring drinks, wiping mugs and the counter, and overseeing the wait staff. The wait staff consists of a couple of local farm girls, who are busy serving meals and taking orders, though not in that order.

In one corner, a small group of elves sits, drinking wine and talking lightly. Sound levels are relatively high in the tavern given its active clientele, but you're still able to converse without shouting.

A chalk board on the bar lists the evening meal: Giant toad tongue, carrots, peas, oatmeal, and mince pie -- for 5 silver pieces.
Jessica Darkwood
 player, 4 posts
 Mage 1
 AC 15 | 21 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 01:01
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Jessica is somewhat surprised by all the attention she is suddenly getting. Suddenly she is somewhat in an awkward position. But after discreetly looking over the two new guests to her table, she decided to trust them for now and nodded to them.

Well in truth I am not the daughter of the innkeeper. Just a visitor passing through. So if you have no qualms spending dinner time with a girl who is currently celebrating her 12th birthday alone..., Jessica shrugs.
Harrumaku
 player, 5 posts
 Swordmage 1
 AC 14 | 30 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 01:23
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
In reply to Jessica Darkwood (msg # 8):

"No, I know the innkeeper's daughter, but I do not know you. Happy birthday, all the same, though. Ah." The oni's tea has arrived and he engages in a brief ceremony, precisely lifting and pouring, so as not to waste a drop. The waitress thoughtfully provided several cups, and Harrumaku pours for everyone at the table. He pinches his carefully between two fingers and sips. "Ahhhh...."
Hawk
 player, 5 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 16:23
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
In reply to Jessica Darkwood (msg # 8):

"Many thanks." He says to the girl after she gives him permission to sit. "And happy life day to you." He listens to her words, and mulls them carefully-even as he looks at the hulking Harrumaku drinking his tea out of the corner of his eyes. However, Hawk was no longer keeping his hands near his weapons.

"When you say alone...what do you mean? You must agree its dangerous for children to be on their own in this world. While sadly a truth, it requires more adult failure than I am comfortable with. Is there anything I can do for you?"
Grigor Albercroft
 player, 6 posts
 Warlock 1
 AC 11 | 25 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 16:33
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Grigor broke out of his reverie at the strange gathering taking place a few tables away.  Now what would a young girl, a mysterious cloaked man, and a red-skinned giant be doing together.

Unable to restrain his curiosity, Grigor got up from table and wandered over to the interesting collection.

"Greetings.  My name is Grigor, a farmer on the outskirts of town.  I couldn't help but notice that you all made quite the interesting collection.  Certainly the most interesting set of people at the Antler and Thistle in some time.  Would you mind if I joined you?"
Harrumaku
 player, 6 posts
 Swordmage 1
 AC 14 | 30 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 16:36
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
In reply to Grigor Albercroft (msg # 11):

Harrumaku pours another cup of tea. "Please. I am Harrumaku. I have been asked by the establishment to refrain from getting up to bow, or otherwise moving about excessively, but please know you are as honored as any guest."
Hawk
 player, 6 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 16:36
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Hawk looked up at the man. "I am Hawk, Priest of Corellon. As for sitting...well,  It's her table." He says, gesturing to Jessica, but he seems accepting of anyone who wished to sit.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:38, Wed 01 Feb 2017.

DM
 GM, 10 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 17:50
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
One of the young women working at the tavern approaches. "Good evening," she says. "My name is Elly. Will you be eating and drinking tonight?"
Jessica Darkwood
 player, 5 posts
 Mage 1
 AC 15 | 21 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 20:18
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Good evening. Is that the only thing you are serving? Is it possible for me to have the minced pie and some tea only please?, Jessica responds as she gesturing Grigor to go ahead and take a seat.
DM
 GM, 11 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 20:21
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
"It's what's in season and in the kitchen, milady," Elly says. "I'll see if you can get just that for two silver." She winks, then stands looking at everyone else in turn.
Harrumaku
 player, 7 posts
 Swordmage 1
 AC 14 | 30 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 20:38
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
In reply to DM (msg # 16):

Harrumaku puts in an order and then continues to make basic conversation in a polite manner, mostly listening and answering questions put directly to him.

OOC: GM and players are welcome to make up answer to those questions, building on what I've established already, rather than waiting on me.
Grigor Albercroft
 player, 7 posts
 Warlock 1
 AC 11 | 25 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 21:19
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
Grigor nods at his new companions and accepts a seat.  "Thank you all."

He smiles when Elly comes over.  "I'll have what's on the board, Elly.  Whatever Avner's cooking is good."  He stares into his empty mug, then smiles back up at her.  "And another ale.  Apparently it's a day for celebrating."
DM
 GM, 12 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 22:39
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
She nods, grinning. "Ale it be!"
Hawk
 player, 7 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 23:01
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
"Wine...if you have any." Hawk said. Granted it would never be quality elven wine, but he had learned to make due.
DM
 GM, 13 posts
 DM 1
 AC | HP
Wed 1 Feb 2017
at 23:37
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
"Elvish wine," she says.
Hawk
 player, 8 posts
 Warpriest 1
 AC 18 | 26 HP
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 06:20
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
In reply to DM (msg # 21):

Hawk looked pleasantly surprised. "If you would be so kind, it has been a while..." He said to the lady.
Jessica Darkwood
 player, 6 posts
 Mage 1
 AC 15 | 21 HP
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 08:04
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
After thinking for a while, Jessica decides that well, food is food. But there was something that gave her a bad taste in her mouth even though she never really tried it.

I have never tried toad's tongue., Jessica said awkwardly, as if she were being asked to eat something truly awful.
Sunny
 player, 2 posts
 Sunny / Elven Fighter
 17 AC | 17 HP
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 16:14
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
I had my flu shot - but got something anyway.

Just another wandering elf traveling about the lands.
Maugrim the Crusher
 player, 2 posts
 Fighter 1
 AC 18 | 28 HP
Thu 2 Feb 2017
at 16:43
#1 Act 1: The Dawn Way to Brindol
The door to the tavern opened and Maugrim stumbled in, righting his hat. His fiery red hair and bushy beard drew some eyes at first, but they lost interest soon enough. The northman breathed in deeply, relishing the stuffy heat of the tavern and the aroma of food and ale in the air.

He looked about for an empty table, or at least an empty spot, when his eyes settled on the strange red creature (Harrumaku) sharing a table with a few others. Intrigued, Maugrim made his way to the table.

"Well met!" He exclaimed loudly as a greeting. "I am Maugrim of the North, fair folks." Without any pretense, he immediately turned to the monster and said, "And who and what might you be, good sir? I do not believe I have ever met anything like you in my travels before, and I consider myself a connoisseur when it comes to...monsters."