Starting the adventure.   Posted by Isobar.Group: 0
Isobar
 GM, 21 posts
 The Creator
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 01:23
Starting the adventure.
After a few days walk from the nearby town of Layzi, the sun has started to peak over the top of the trees in the forest of Arapima. The fire burned down to a handful of embers left from the night before.  Dew starting to form on the grass from the warmth of the sun dancing with the remnants of the night's cold air. The party decided to rest hear after their second day of traveling, in search of some sort of fabled treasure trove rumored to be hidden in the forest ahead.  So far, Ermer has been successful in hunting the party food along the way, allowing everyone to keep their rations well stocked for the perils ahead.

Eryn emerges from her tent grasping her pendent in one hand and her journal in the other.  She walks a short stroll over to the nearby stump and proceeds to sit down and meditate to her god Nyaos, in search of wisdom and guidance for the journey ahead.

Tucker is quick to follow, he sees the fire on the verge of dying and decides to throw a few pieces of wood on it to get it ready for breakfast.  Once he's satisfied with the fire, he pulls out his book of spells and begins studying as he does every morning.

Blackthorn can be seen off in the distance gathering plants while he keeps watch for anything that may lurk in the distance.  He volunteered for the last watch of the evening so that the others could be rested in the morning so they could prepare themselves for the journey ahead.

Ermer begins preparing breakfast for everyone, after a few days of traveling with her new companions, she's already learned enough about Tucker and Eryn to know they have a strict morning routine, so she makes sure to do what she can in the morning.

About an hour later, breakfast is done, Blackthorn has wandered on back to the camp, and Eryn and Tucker have finished their morning rituals and are now sitting around the campfire as well.

The camp is about 200 yards away from the main trail into the forest.  On the left you see vast emerald blue oceans.  Behind you is the plains and grasslands you hiked through to get to the entrance to the forest.  If you squint enough, you can see a feint trail of smoke coming from the town of Layzi, most likely from the various houses burning wood to keep warm at night. Off to the right are more plains and meadows that seem to go on for miles.  There's a trail that seems to go along the edge of the woods, most likely from merchants traveling from nearby towns who find it too difficult or dangerous to bring their goods through the forest.



Eryn,please tell the party of the rumors you heard about what guards the rumored treasure of Arapima forest.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:05, Thu 09 Mar 2017.

Eryn
 player, 5 posts
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 18:49
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Isobar (msg # 1):

After giving her devotion to Nyaos, god of the stars, Eryn stood and came to the campfire to sit beside Ermer.  Making sure to put her journal away and tuck her holy symbol carefully out of sight under her shirt once more, she watched the others a moment before she looked to the edge of the woods they had been traveling to reach.  Arapima Forest.  It was a large forest, looming and forboding in its size, the boughs of the branches seemed ominous with the way that they darkened the area underneath, limiting the light of the sun above.

"I've heard rumors..."  Eryn began, her eyes still lingering on the trees as she let her voice carry over the campsite.  Her nerviousness might have been showing a little as she hesitated before continuing.  "Rumors of the guardians of the treasure that is suppose to lie here in Arapima."

It was true, they had come here in search of that treasure, the rumors of what the treasure had been was tempting and for Eryn herself, the knowledge of knowing if the rumors were true and if the treasure truly existed had bidden her to come with the party.

"The guardians are rumored to be 'spirits of the forest', apparently the very trees themselves come alive to guard the treasure.  I wonder though, if it is the forest itself that is guarding the treasure or if it is a creature that mearly looks like a moving forest?  I have read of both Trents that are moving trees, as well as Dryads who could move in and out of trees at will.  Either entity could make the forest seem as if it had come alive to travelers moving through it and both could be equally dangerious if not approached carefully."
Ermer
 player, 5 posts
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 23:27
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Eryn (msg # 2):

"Eryn where did you learn of this information? I have not previously ventured in the forest of Arapima. It shall be interesting to see if these rumors are true. Do you know any additional information regarding the forest? Have you been there before?"
Blackthorn
 player, 4 posts
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 16:56
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Ermer (msg # 3):

Blackthorn can be seen off in the distance gathering plants while he keeps watch for anything that may lurk in the distance.  He volunteered for the last watch of the evening so that the others could be rested in the morning so they could prepare themselves for the journey ahead.

Having taken the last watch of the night for this band of misfits Blackthorn would be the eyes for the team until they were all up and done with their morning rituals. They had only been a party for a couple days now, but the group had already seemingly fell into a rhythm as to how they functioned.

The holy person that traveled with the team was a young odd tempered lady, called Eryn. She seemed to always need to pray to her god Nyoas in the morning. He had noted the timing of this and has already taken advantage of her routine to snag something that could fetch him a fair price if was to find a mark to sell it to.

The brutish elf, Ermer, in the party that was the resident overzealous adventurer that seemed to have enough bite to back up the bark. The advantage he had dealing with this elf was that he knew a dark secret about her that would change the way the rest of the party would view her. This fact kept them out of each others affairs for the most part.

Leaving the wizard Tucker to round out the group. This mystical person seemed to be more quiet than the rest, but had bailed Blackthorn out of tight spot. He was also the one that had brought the halfling into the fold of this adventure. While it was pulling him away from his intend mission, he owed this man a debt that he was going to repay. The one notable thing that Tucker did was also take time out of his mornings to prepare spells for the day.

After having gathered up supplies to replenish his Serpent's tear vial Blackthorn wandered on back to the camp. The immediate area was safe enough, but with the sun up now he could clearly see that the others were awake and doing their morning things. With the forest to his back he would pause, turning back to try to look into the vast wooded area.

--11:55, Sun 12 Mar: Blackthorn rolled 7 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 2,4.  Discern Realities.
  ✴On a 7–9, ask 1 question; What here is not what it appears to be?

Plopping down on a piece of wood that had been cut from a tree, but not split for fire wood uses yet Blackthorn would listen in on the rest of the group's conversation about the forest that they were heading to. Looking over to Tucker he gave a slight nod before pulling out the plants he had gathered to mix and complete his Serpent's Tear vial for the day.

During this time Eryn spoke of rumors of the Arapima Forest's treasure that was protected by some guardians. The story continued with theories of Treants and Dryads that she wondered could be the cause of such rumors. Clearly his intention to repay his debt to Tucker was going to prolong his mission to find Xarius any time soon.

As Eryn finished talking the attention of the group shifted over to Ermer's questioning of how the knowledge was acquired along with the admission that she had not been to this forest yet. Before a reply could be conjured by anyone a couple more questions came out from the elf that seemed all too eager to get in and jump into what was going to be happening. Glancing over to the forest as he finished up his Serpent's Tears poison he would redirect his gaze back to Ermer as he tried to recall his travels from Xannon to this area previously for Xiu-Xing.

--11:59, Sun 12 Mar: Blackthorn rolled 6 using 2d6-1 with rolls of 5,2.  Spout Lore.
  Failed, marked an experience.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 16:56, Sun 12 Mar 2017.

Isobar
 GM, 22 posts
 The Creator
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 11:31
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Blackthorn (msg # 4):


Blackthorn sits down at the camp and begins to listen into the conversation about Dryads and Treants.  Unfortunately for Blackthorn however, he gets so caught up listening to the conversation, he doesn't realize he mixed his herbs together in the wrong order, and ends up only creating 2 doses of Serpent's Tear. Something also catches his eye at the edge of the forest.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:33, Mon 13 Mar 2017.

Eryn
 player, 6 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 13:23
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Ermer (msg # 3):

Eryn glanced over as Blackthorn joined them at the fire, watching him take his seat and begin utterly destroying the plants he had gathered.  Pursing her lips together, she turned her attention back to the woman next to her to refocus on the questions that had been poised to her.

"The forest guardian was something I heard spoken of in Layzi before we gathered together as a group.  I had been there a short time speaking with the people."  She answered the first question easily enough.  When Ermer continued on to ask about what else Eryn knew about the forest, she lifted her hand to her mouth, letting her thumb worry at her lip as she considered that.  Had she heard anything else about the forest from Layzi while she was there?  Or from the books in the Abbey?

--- Attempt to Spout Lore ---
--- 08:58, Today: Eryn rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((2,3)). ---
--- Roll Failed. ---

Isobar
 GM, 23 posts
 The Creator
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 13:37
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Eryn (msg # 6):

Eryn thinks long and hard, trying to recall any sort of information she may have heard about this group of woodland creatures.  She finally remembers something and quickly tells the group "I remembers hearing the Treants inside this forest being referred to as Ironwoods. But I do not recall anything else about them."
Ermer
 player, 6 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 14:08
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Isobar (msg # 7):

Ermer, finding no answer from her team decides to share her knowledge of the creates that she has studied in the past.

10:07, Today: Ermer rolled 7 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,3.
Isobar
 GM, 24 posts
 The Creator
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 11:26
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Ermer (msg # 8):


Someone bonk the mage on his head and snap him out of his meditation.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:27, Tue 14 Mar 2017.

Ermer
 player, 7 posts
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 16:55
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Isobar (msg # 9):

Ermer begins her story several years back when she was chopping wood for a camp fire. She was near a forest on another continent. Her and her "family" from beaverpaw had gathered several logs from the forest and had taken them to camp. Many of the logs were quite large and required splitting for proper use on the fire. She was working for a few hours along side her  father when she lifted a particularly large and heavy log into place to split. It looked like a log she had never dealt with before but lined up her ax for a forceful swing. All of the sudden the entire group paused in shock. Ermer's ax had shattered. fragments of metal had gone everywhere.

Ermer bent down to look at this log closer. There was no damage to the log what so ever. She had thought in the moment about "maybe this ax had a flaw, but that didn't make sense. I've used this ax for months now, even sharpened it. There were no signs of weakness in this ax."

At that moment Lunar approached the group. He had explained to Ermer that "this was no ordinary wood. It was a lively wood." Confused Ermer continued to explain she asked "Can you explain? I don't know what you mean by lively."

Lunar began...."Ermer, this is the wood of an ironwood tree. Some also call them Treants. It is a tree that comes to life. It can walk, talk, and even defend itself. Ironwoods are known for looking and even moving like trees to most people in most forests where they live. However, when they choose, they can sprout from the ground and walk like we do."


Ermer was amazed at this information. Her usual curious self she asked him: "What forests do these 'ironwoods?' live in?"

Lunar continued "Ironwoods are found in many forests scattered around the globe. Commonly they are found in Merylith Forest, The Woods of Kenshaw, and most defiantly in the Wooded lands of Arapima."

Ermer then explained that she had asked "Lunar, are they dangerous? What do I do if I come across one?"

Lunar replied: "Dear sweet Ermer, do not worry, they are only territorial when provoked. Most of the time you will not even know they are there. Keep in mind it would be a tree who's wood broke your ax with one swing, so fighting is quite useless with most metal. There are ways to protect ones self against them but that is a lesson for another day. Be mindful of them and you should be safe. Oh and next time we are in a village, ask around, you will find many people know of these ironwood creatures but not many have encountered them. At least not that they know of."

Ermer concluded her story and reiterated that we take caution as we enter Arapima to be respectful of the forest. Take caution not to do careless things that may damage the lands/creatures as the Ironwoods are defenders of the forest.
Tucker
 player, 4 posts
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 02:39
Starting the adventure.
Tucker had just wrapped up his morning reading and slowly pondering the things that he had been reading. There was always something to learn in terms of magic and he wanted to make sure that he was learning every facet of those things. As he reflected, the others at the camp were milling about.

His mind snapped to the present when Blackthorn dropped the wood nearby and Tucker's gaze turned toward the man. He had not known him for too long of a time, but in the time that he had known him he had been an interesting personality and person to have around. Tucker returned Blacktorn's nod with a slight tip of his head and a hint of a grin somewhere hidden on his face.

Tucker continued to sit in his spot at the camp and observe those around him. He was a patient person who was not one to be hurried into doing anything. Even when others around him were in a panic, he was not one that was going to make a brash decision or even a spur of the moment decision. This probably hindered him in some regards, but it had served him well thus far and he would continue to approach things in a methodical manner.
Ermer
 player, 8 posts
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 15:18
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Tucker (msg # 11):

Ermer finished her story and stood up. She proceeded to take care of cleaning up from breakfast and headed to her sleeping area to gather her belongings. Once she finished she returned to those who were around the fire and questioned "Shall we head out?"
Blackthorn
 player, 5 posts
Wed 22 Mar 2017
at 07:16
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Tucker (msg # 11):

As the others talked Blackthorn continued to work on his poisons for the day. With two vials done his attention moved over towards Eryn spoke about Treants known as Ironwoods that she heard from the locals of Layzi.  That is when something catches his eye at the edge of the forest, being too far away he could not fully tell what it was. Shaking his head he would look down to see that he had mixed the ingredients wrong for the third vial. Sighing he tossed the bad batch into the fire.

That is when Ermer started to tell a story that would ultimately end with her reiterating that they should treat the forest with respect and caution. With a raised brow he thought that was a pretty obvious assessment, unneeded without a story. He was not all that surprised though as she was an elf talking about respecting a forest.

Muttering for a moment as he gathered his things Blackthorn would put away his new vials. Getting up from the log he would also go pack up his camping stuff as well strapping everything together he properly placed throwing daggers under his forearm guards on each forearm and one more on his right hip. The black dagger was on his belt paced on his back and his rapier on his left hip. The vials of poison were in pouches on his belt.

After he was all set to go Blackthorn would look over to Ermer. "As ready as I'll ever be I suppose. What about you two?" He asked the wizard and cleric as his eyes bounced between the two of them. He was not going to blindly follow the overly ready person without the full party being ready.
Eryn
 player, 7 posts
Thu 23 Mar 2017
at 17:22
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Blackthorn (msg # 13):

Eyrn had stood and begun to pack when Ermer had, setting about to roll up her own things and put them into her pack with her regular camping gear.  Confident that anything that she might need on the trail was within easy reach at the top before she tied it shut, she pulled the pack over her shoulders and gave a nod.

"Yes, I believe I am."  She said in answer.  "Who wants to take the lead?"  Eryn much perfered having someone to follow while they hiked, it gave her a chance to watch the scenery around her rather than where she was actually going.  Admittedly she tripped now and again, but she didn't mind, she was getting to see the world!  So far it was proving to be much more exciting than the Abbey.
Tucker
 player, 5 posts
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 21:01
Starting the adventure.
Tucker looked over casually at Blackthorn when he spoke and stood up letting a few moments of silence pass as the words hung in the air. Shifting his gaze Tucker acknowledged Eryn as she spoke. He grabbed his bag and tossed it over is shoulders pulling it tight. It looked like they were about to head out as soon as they could figure out just who was going to take point on this trek. "I'm ready to go to be honest. Although it would probably be in our best interest if I hung toward the back of the group."

This was going to be an interesting journey as they figured out the team dynamic. But it was something that could easily be done once they got into battle a few times and moved forward on the journey. "I think that it is about time that we set out. I agree with Eryn though, we certainly need someone to take point and lead us. Any volunteers?" Tucker spoke slightly faster as he talked with his thoughts pushing ahead to what they might find. Hopefully, if there was any luck he could actually do something with the key that he had found. Only time would tell though.
Blackthorn
 player, 6 posts
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 07:10
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Tucker (msg # 15):

As Eryn finished getting ready she asked the group who wanted to take the lead which caused Blackthorn to raise a brow as a is that not obvious? sort of way. This was mostly masked by his hood. His attention was drawn over to the wizard Tucker as he too chimed in that it would be best for him to hang to the back of the group. From a strategic stand point this made since, especially when his spells took some time to cast.

"I'll scout on ahead of the group," Blackthorn spoke up now that the group was all set to move on out on their journey, "Earlier I saw some movement up by the forest that I want to check out." He was not going to mention the entrance of the forest just yet, because he was not entirely sure what to make of that. "Ermer, make sure they are kept safe," he stated after a momentary pause without fully looking in the warrior's direction. He knew he could trust Tucker, but the other two he was not too sure on. That is why he thought saying something would at least spark her to be aware that things were about to get a lot more difficult.

With that Blackthorn took off down the road ahead of the rest of the group. After a decent ways he would veer off into the grass so that he could sneak up on the wooded area. His thought was that he could approach whatever was moving up near the forest if it was still there, if it had moved on he would be in a position to help out the group that was traveling the main road if needed, and if nothing else came up he would just return to the group with what he did find out.

As he closed in on the forest area Blackthorn continued to move with as much stealth as possible so that the tall grass he was moving through would not give away what he was trying to look for. Where the tall grass ended lower grass led up to the tall trees. He would peer out from the grass to see if what was moving before was still out there or not.

--Removed discern realities.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:01, Sat 01 Apr 2017.

Isobar
 GM, 25 posts
 The Creator
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 11:43
Starting the adventure.
07:11, Today: Isobar, on behalf of Blackthorn, rolled 6 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 3,1.  Defy Danger (Stealth).  Mark EXP.  Since this results in a failed roll, the discern reality part never happened...

Blackthorn heads into the grass to scout ahead, keeping a watchful eye on the entrance to the forest. As he poked his head above the grass to get a better look, he starts to see the entry way to the forest begin to shimmer and ripple.  While Blackthorn was trying to figure out what was going on, the illusion that was cast upon the entryway to the forest suddenly shatters and he sees a pair of giant boulders flying towards him.  What appeared as a trail and the entry way to the forest suddenly shifts to a pair of towering trees standing guard.  Both trees appear to be about 40 feet tall and do not appear to be able to move.  However they already appear to be reaching back for another pair of rocks.

Blackthorn, What do you do?

The rest of the group sees this and realizes Blackthorn is in trouble.  You are too far away to help immediately.   What do the rest of you do?
Ermer
 player, 9 posts
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 16:23
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Isobar (msg # 17):

As Blackthorn departed from the group, Ermer and the team headed on down the path toward Arapmia. Carefully she monitored their surroundings while Eryn and Tucker followed. Being hired as the defender/protector of this clan has set her role as vigilant as they travel to keep the crew from danger. Without Blackthorn’s presents. Ermer knows these two are her responsibility. As they walked down the path Ermer looked around cautiously. She looks to Eryn and comments “This could be a long trek, are you prepared? We won't be able to stop too often. I know you have been in the Abby a long time.”

Before Eryn could respond she raised her arms to warn the other two to pause. She had heard a ruckus ahead. Looking around Ermer notices motion ahead on the trail. She thinks for a moment and realizes that would be about where Blackthorn should be at this point. She draws her sword and heads toward the commotion.

As Ermer draws nearer, she notices the commotion is coming from the edge of the forest. At first she can’t tell what is happening but suddenly realizes there are two ironwoods standing at the edge of Arapima looking just off the trail leading to the forest. She continues running and realizes the sword isn’t going to be much use. She places it away and thinks hard while running about how she is going to be any use to her companion Blackthron…She thinks deep into her past hoping that something will come to her that will be useful.

12:22, Today: Ermer rolled 11 using 2d6+0 with rolls of 5,6.
Eryn
 player, 8 posts
Fri 31 Mar 2017
at 20:51
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Isobar (msg # 17):

Eryn had been about ready to reassure the woman that while she was at the Abbey they walked the halls often for moderate exercise and she had done much walking since - she was not concerned about a hike in the woods.  When the woman had been cut off short, however, Eryn found that her reassurance was never given and she found herself ill-prepared for the scene that was quickly unfolding in front of her with the woman rushing forward with her sword drawn... only to put it away again halfway between there and the forests edge.

Eryn blinked at that, pulling her head back as her hands tightened on her own backpack's straps.  Good lord, what had they run into already that had the woman running off?  It took the cleric long moments longer of standing there, seemingly motionless as she took in Ermer's charge and the rocks flying at the halfling.

"That's not good..."  She murmured under her breath where she still stood by the mage.  "We haven't even done anything to provoke them!"

Hands twisting at the straps to her backpack again, she started to move, eyes up on the rocks in the air to make sure she didn't move underthem as she closed the distance between herself and the party members who had moved forward.  She was only useful to them when she was in range of them - but she was also only useful to them if she wasn't flattened like a pancake or knocked out silly.
Blackthorn
 player, 7 posts
Sat 1 Apr 2017
at 10:15
Starting the adventure.
In reply to Eryn (msg # 19):

Seeing the entrance way dispel revealing two moving tree figures that hurled rocks in his Direction Blackthorn knew he had to get a move on. He was going to make an attempt to get out of the way of the throw boulders and head towards the tree line, not the entrance but farther down so that the enemies would be potentially be distracted by his fleeing towards the forest.

06:15, Today: Blackthorn rolled 11 using 2d6+2 with rolls of 6,3.  defy danger.
Isobar
 GM, 26 posts
 The Creator
Sun 2 Apr 2017
at 18:08
Starting the adventure.
Blackthorn easily sidesteps the boulder and ducks into the edge of the treeline using the tree tops as cover so that no more boulders can be tossed at him.

Once he vanishes into the tree line however, the two sentries turn their focus on the elf charging at them.

Ermer sees that Blackthorn was able to safely evade the rocks and step into the forest, and as she got closer to the tree sentries, she realized that these in fact were not the fabled Ironwoods, but Treant sentries who were rooted to the ground.  Their purpose was unknown, however it was clear to her that like most trees, a sharp axe or fire should be more than enough to deal with them.

The two sentries rotate back towards the path and again prepare launch a volley towards the elf. This time before they release the boulders, a mysterious voice can be heard emanating from the trees.

"Halt! Come no closer."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:08, Sun 02 Apr 2017.

Eryn
 player, 9 posts
Thu 6 Apr 2017
at 17:00
Re: Starting the adventure.
Hearing the voice come from the trees, Eryn jumped at the chance of a peaceful resolution, one that could stay the hand of violence and keep her party members safe.  Spreading her arms out so that she would be noticed further out than where the trees were focused on the elf warrior, she showed that one hand was empty while in the other all she held was her staff.  All the rest of her belongings were within the pack on her back.

"Please, guardians!  We mean no disrespect to the forest.  Stay your hand so we may speak?"
Ermer
 player, 10 posts
Thu 6 Apr 2017
at 17:04
Re: Starting the adventure.
In reply to Eryn (msg # 22):

Ermer freezes at the sound of the voice. As she stops, she notices Eryn approaching. She whispers "Please be careful Eryn."
Blackthorn
 player, 8 posts
Sat 8 Apr 2017
at 09:34
Re: Starting the adventure.
In reply to Ermer (msg # 23):

Coming to a stop in between two bushes Blackthorn was able to peer out and see Ermer moving towards the rock chucking trees. His initial thought was to move in from the side if they were still targeting him, but that was quickly proven wrong as they had directed their focus at the brutish elf. He was thinking of now swinging around the back for the attack, but that is when he heard Eryn speak up trying to speak peacefully with them living trees.

Blackthorn placed his hand on his rapier handle as he turned his attention away from where Eryn and Ermer were with Tucker behind them. His eyes gazed into the forest. He was going to try and sneak further in if they were going to discuss things in a different way than combat, he was going to take advantage of getting further into forest ahead of the team.
Mysterious Voice
Mon 10 Apr 2017
at 22:44
Re: Starting the adventure.
The two sentries aim their boulders towards Eryn but hold off on releasing them.

"What business does an imprudent Human like you have in MY forest?  Hasn't your kin needlessly pillaged enough of my kindred spirits to fuel your gluttonous lifestyle?  And don't think I didn't notice that half-wit sneak into the forest.  He will be dealt with swiftly."

Blackthorn, Defy danger +dex