MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip.   Posted by The Headmaster.Group: 0
Simon Thatcher
 NPC, 2 posts
 Avalon Explorer
 La Boca Member
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 17:18
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
   As the students finished their little display and the members of the other Houses walked away and stepped out of the Hall, a man in a slightly rumpled Digger's Coat entered. His long blonde hair was tied back with a dark coloured ribbon while his blue eyes scanned about the room, seeming to dismiss the Eisen immediately. He stopped a moment and reached into the Coat he wore, pulling out a small folded piece of paper and opening it. His eyes quickly passed over what was written on the torn page before he looked back up and cleared his throat to speak.

   "Lords, Ladies, and Gentlefolk." he began, his Avalon sounding more educated than he looked to the assembled members in the Hall. He continued speaking once the din of the Hall died down a bit. "Please pardon my intrusion, but Professor Coulson would like to see the following people at their earliest convenience." It was no secret in Avalon that there was a 'dry' humour to how they spoke, and they were noted for a gift of quick wit and a talent for understating the obvious. "At your earliest convenience." was the polite way of saying "Get out of your seat and move in the intended direction..."

   "His Lordship would like to speak with the following:

 - Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 - Professor Alton Sinclair
 - Lady Gabriela Aldana de Orduno
 - Shield Captain Yvette du Rochelle
 - Miss Silvia Roark
 - Miss Paula Isonzo
 - Miss Emelia Uhrmacher

   If those of you who are present would please follow me, you've got my thanks. If any of you know whereabout anyone who is not here, would you please go and tell them they're wanted in Sir Reginald's office?  Thank you."


   The blonde man paused to exhale, as though he was finished with a duty he'd be tasked with, and not one he relished. Now that he would be seen a little better, he looked very much like an Explorer just back from an expedition and was about to head out to another one as soon as he was finished what he was doing. His Coat was old, his pants were patched, and his boots looked much like something 'liberated' from a pirate who had no use for them anymore. He looked rumpled, slightly fuzzy and rakish, and didn't seem to care who knew it...
Abigail Moffat
 NPC, 2 posts
 Rivals Scholar
 Avalon
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 17:31
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
    The redhead looked towards the door and caught sight of the rumpled Digger's Coat and knew immediately who it was. Simon was one of those Avalon "devil-may-cares" her Father had warned her about before she'd left the Marches to begin her studies at the University. Although Father had never met the man, she had little doubt that he'd run him through and leave him in a swamp before he got within 20 yards of his only daughter.

   She listened as he spoke, hearing the names of the new Explorers that had been formed. Each year, a team of Explorers was brought together to serve the Society, and this years' assemblage was far earlier than it usually was. Normally, there were almost a dozen teams that worked across the Continent in one fashion or another. Half of them were placed on digs in faraway places like Ussura, the Crescent Empire, or even the Midnight Archipelago. The others were involved in other Society matters, and a couple of teams spent their time battling those who interfered with the Society - people like the Vodacce Princes Villanova, or Caligari. the rising tide of the Inquisition, or even Imperial Montaigne.

   When Simon finished, she made a mental note of the names as some of the people rose from their seats and walked to where Simon stood. "Looks like it's begun, then." she reflected, "Etienne will want to know about this..." She waited until the others were distracted, then slipped out of the Hall.
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 18 posts
 I can do it!
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 17:44
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
Lady Kavanaugh responded with a small nod of her own and a bland smile towards the Drachen representative, tacitly neither approving nor condemning his actions.  Part of her understood the why of it all -- to ideally build up character and camaraderie with people you'd be eventually working with in the field.

But another part of her felt it was as silly as all the posturing and preening that went on in the court at Carleon (...Avalons...).  Not to say it was all backbiting intrigue, but it could be so draining.

Court at Tara, on the other hand, was an entirely different experience -- with the key words being "different experience".  With the O'Bannon, one could never tell WHAT to expect at any given time, if he deigned to appear at all.

The news that she was wanted stirred her out of most of her thoughts, but turning to make her way to Professor Coulson's office, an unspoken sigh escaped from Aideen's throat, remembering too many talks from home.

-->To Coulson's office...

This message was last edited by the player at 17:47, Thu 27 Apr 2017.

Paula Isonzo
 PC, 22 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Thu 27 Apr 2017
at 19:49
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
Paula came out of her daydream, listened, Hmmm. then shook her head.

She moved over to Scathlock. "Pardon me, Mr. Scathlock. I didn't hear your name called.

Are you so versed in what we will be doing that you need no orientation? Theus forbid, are you not needed? Or, do you happen to be Miss Uhrmacher, in disguise?"
She offered the latter  in a whisper that only he should hear.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:49, Thu 27 Apr 2017.

Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 9 posts
 I have an idea...
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 09:43
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
The Professor adjusted his glasses as he heard the announcement.  "Well, Madame Roark, it appears we have both been called.  Shall we see why Professor Coulson requires our presence?"

--> To Coulson's office
Silvia Roark
 PC, 6 posts
 Shield Maiden
 Playwright, Shootist
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 13:45
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"It certainly would make a poor impression otherwise..."

Silvia followed the professor out of the hall.

> To Coulson's Office
John Scathlock
 PC, 21 posts
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 16:02
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
If John's ego had taken a hit at not being called, he certainly didn't show it.

"I suspect, miss, that this meeting may only include those who are society members. I work for the society now, but I am not, alas, an 'official' member of the illustrious organization."

OOC: GM - lemme know if I'm completely off-base here, and I'll edit accordingly.
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 23 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 16:55
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
Paula was puzzled at the man's reply. What was the big deal about being official? If all of the team were to go along, why exclude this man from talk of it!? And, surely, no one could claim that there would be no talk in this meeting.

"So! If anything important should be said, I will inform you of it.

Good day."
But, then, how could there be anything that Scathlock could not hear first-hand?.

--> to Coulson's Office

This message was last edited by the player at 16:55, Fri 28 Apr 2017.

Simon Thatcher
 NPC, 3 posts
 Avalon Explorer
 La Boca Member
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 16:59
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
   The blonde man stopped for a moment as he overheard the discussion, then looked to Scanlon apologetically.  "I'm sorry, did I miss someone? Bloody...Mr Scanlon, Sir Reginald did specify all of you, t'was my error of omission. Please, accept my apology and follow me, please."

To: Coulson's Office
John Scathlock
 PC, 22 posts
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 22:02
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"Scathlock, sir?" John corrected. "I am at your service."
With that, the tall man followed along.

To: Coulson's Office
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 167 posts
 I can do it!
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 14:49
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
From: Atrium

"She. Got. Away."

The words came out in a tight staccato, anger just contained.

"du Sices got there ahead of us.  He was going to kill her.  I yelled at him to stop...to be better.  He hesitated--"

The veins in Lady Kavanaugh's neck tensed.

"--they had a Porte mage.  And that bitch Isonzo willingly helped her to escape..."

Aideen shook her head, recalling the face of that smug Vodacce.  She forced herself to exhale, to push on.

"One of their men, before he died, bragged about being part of a group called 'The Scarred Hand'.  du Sices claims he has never of them before.  Another thug, this one just clueless local muscle, says he heard them mention what we think is  Charouse -- and the palace."
Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 109 posts
 I have an idea...
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 16:23
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
The Professor waited for Lady Kavanaugh to calm down before speaking.  He pulled out the papers and placed them on the table for Lady Kavanaugh and Ser McAllister to see.

"These are notes that were found in the Warehouse.  From what I can gather, they are by Madame du Paix."

Professor Sinclair sighed before continuing.  "Promethium is a new Syrneth discovery- a very powerful explosive.  Professor Ragnarssen had used the warehouse to test out the properties.  It looks to me like du Paix had copied Ragnarssen's research and built a small explosive, like the one used tonight.  I don't think Professor Ragnarssen was involved- she's copying his notes; that wouldn't be needed if he was involved in this."

He spoke a little more quickly, "I don't know how many devices were built, or how much Promethium is missing, or what is required to set them off.  Professor Ragnarssen probably knows more than anyone about Promethium and what can be built.  If du Paix built more of these bombs..."  He let the sentence hang in mid-air.
Ser Bors MacAllister
 NPC, 17 posts
 Queen Elaine's
 Dark Knight
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 16:29
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
   Ser MacAllister walked into the Hall, about half of the lights were lit, which lent the room a quiet if slightly macabre air. He looked about for a moment, then stepped back out and talked to one of the servants about getting some more light into the back of the Hall in order to get some more light into the area. It wasn't long before servants brought in a pair of candelabras to brighten the area before MacAllister sat on the edge of the table facing the entrance.

   He listened as Kavanaugh spoke first. It didn't take a scholar to figure out that whatever happened had left a profound effect on the woman. He blinked twice at the mention of a Porte mage, and his face betrayed only a hint of surprise at the information before the mask slipped down once more. He continued to listen as Kavanaugh spat venom at the mention of Isonzo's name - whatever was between the two women, it had become very much a personal issue.

   At the mention of the 'Scarred Hand', a dark brow rose slightly. It rose even higher at the mention of Charouse and the Imperial Palace. He took a moment to think and ran his finger under his moustache as Kavanaugh stopped and stood there. He came off the edge of the table and spoke quietly after making sure that there was no one else around to overhear them.

   I'm afraid there is nothing I can say that will make you feel better about all of this, except that I wasn't aware of the 'Scarred Hand' until very recently. l'Empereur Leon has kept a very tight lid on news coming out of Montaigne, so what I know about them is a lot less than I'd like. This group, from what I've learned, is a group of individuals dedicated to the downfall of Montaigne as it stands now, and they will use any methods to accomplish their goals.

  "The fact that they have a Porte mage raises the stakes in this game significantly...wait, you said they escaped, altogether?"
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 168 posts
 I can do it!
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 17:03
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"Yes, all three women," nodded Aideen somberly.  "According to the brute we questioned, the mage wore no gloves -- and both her hands and arms were red.  She had torn a hole in the warehouse and all three of them went through it."

She added bitterly.  "Miss Isonzo told them to make sure their eyes were shut."

The Inishwoman sighed.

"That much power...that has to mean the mage was of noble blood, correct?  Why would one be among the Revolutionists?"
Ser Bors MacAllister
 NPC, 18 posts
 Queen Elaine's
 Dark Knight
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 17:42
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
   MacAllister tapped his moustache this time. "If the woman's hands and arms were red, then she has been doing a lot of Porte in the last little while. I've found that the more a talent like that is used, the more it stains the person using it. And if the mage was able to bring both women plus herself over the threshold..." He paused a moment as if searching for the right word. "Then she is a Master of Porte, one of the few I've heard of inside Montaigne."

   "And this ... Isonzo ... is aware of Porte and how it works? Odd that a non-Montaigne would know such things, Sorcerors aren't usually free with the information about their craft. Tends to weed out the weak and easily distracted."

   MacAllister paused as he heard Kavanaugh ask, and shook his head slightly. "Mostly nobility possess the ability to use Portal sorcery in Montaigne, it is rare for a member of the gentry to have it, and practically unknown in the lower classes. This woman you're talking about either was a Noble who fell out of favour at Court or an obscure individual who possessed the talent and has likely kept it hidden. Difficult to do in a society where appearance is everything. I'm guessing that she's had to wear gloves from the first time she discovered she could perform. And, if she is a Master, then she's been doing it a very long time..."

   The 'Black Knight' turned to regard Sinclair evenly as he stepped forward and offered the papers. MacAllister stepped aside and tapped the table to indicate that the Professor could place them there so that they could all see the drawings. He looked over the pages, his eyes taking in as much detail as he could as he looked from one uncrumpled page to another. "This ... this is an explosive device." he started to say as Sinclair was finishing his thought about Promethium ... Promethium ...

   "You said something about Charouse ... and the Palace?" MacAllister's eyes were deadly serious as he looked back to Kavanaugh.
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 169 posts
 I can do it!
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 19:33
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"That's all the thug was able to really understand.  According to him, they talked in whispers around him and his crew and 'fancy'.  Which I'm presuming means Montaigne.  And Isonzo was speaking it as well..."

She glanced over to the Professor.

"May I look over those papers?  Maybe there's something we're not seeing..."
Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 110 posts
 I have an idea...
Wed 30 Aug 2017
at 21:20
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
Professor Sinclair handed over the papers to Lady Kavanaugh, thinking as he did so.  "What I'm confused about is this- if the plan is to attack the Palace in Charouse, why the bomb tonight?  They could have used Porte to go to Charouse with the explosive and used it without any of us knowing.  By causing the explosive now, they've announced their intentions."

Sinclair started pacing, "Unless the attack was intentional- but the Ambassador lived.  The explosion was centered on Professor Coulson- and I don't understand at all why he would be a target.  What purpose could anyone fighting the Emporer in Montaigne have against Professor Coulson?"

[OOC- does Sinclair recall Coulson saying anything about the events in Montainge- or have any opinion at all?]
Ser Bors MacAllister
 NPC, 19 posts
 Queen Elaine's
 Dark Knight
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 21:29
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
   MacAllister nodded his understanding of Kavanaugh's words. "Most people in the Boggards hear Montaigne mostly in passing from either Nobles looking to 'slum' around in what can be a dangerous part of Carleon, even during the day, or in the Dockyard, where almost all languages are spoken. People in the District have a larger-than-average disdain for anyone from outside, so I'm not surprised that the man you questioned thought that the language that the women were speaking in was 'fancy'."

   He stepped aside as Kavanaugh asked to see the drawings, still putting his thoughts together while the red-headed Lady looked over the worn pieces of paper. They might have lost the three women, but they had a number of clues that they could follow up on if nothing else. "I'm no expert on these things," he said, "But if what I've learned by talking to some of your guests, the bomb that went off in the Hall was only the beginning and it served its purpose, whatever that might have been."

   MacAllister turned to listen to Sinclair, then added. "Normally, Professor, I would agree with you on that score. But if I understand the measurements, this-" he tapped the edge of one of the papers for emphasis, "-is a fair amount larger than what your Society experienced earlier tonight. And if they are looking to bomb the Palace ..."
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 170 posts
 I can do it!
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 00:06
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"A test run then -- with everyone tonight their unsuspecting rabbits." And that's why Isonzo stayed.  To see the damage wrought and how much more they might need to do in Charouse...

Lady Aideen shivered, recalling the Vodacce's smiling at all the death and destruction around her.  Not one of comfort--

--because she enjoyed what she did.

OOC: anything Aideen can make of the notes/needs to roll for?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:42, Fri 01 Sept 2017.

Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 111 posts
 I have an idea...
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 01:24
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"What is the next step?"  Professor Sinclair asked Lady Kavanaugh and Ser MacAllister.   "We can question Professor Ragnarssen.  I am..."  The Professor almost said 'certain', but after tonight...  "...reasonably confident that the Professor was unaware about tonight's events.  But he knows more than anyone about Promethium, and how big any other bomb might be."

He thought some more, "We should also search du Paix's office and sleeping quarters, and Isonzo's as well.  They most likely tried to hide any clues, but they may have overlooked something."  He paused and thought some more.  "I can get the Shieldmen- von Braun and Arnolfsson- to help search the rooms before anyone else can get to them."
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 171 posts
 I can do it!
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 14:12
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"Yvette du Rochelle."  Lady Kavanaugh's mouth curled in disgust.  "Professor Coulson assigned her to be my expedition's Shield Captain, but she was drunk and arrogant.  Refused to take anything seriously, no respect at all to anyone.  He told me she was a former Musketeer, left after the Massacre..."

Her jaw clenched.

"...she had a verbal altercation with Sices du Sices tonight.  The 'gentleman' told me in no uncertain terms that Montaigne considers her a war criminal..."  Lady Aideen's voice dropped.  "...I don't know if she's also a part of this conspiracy in some way or just incompetent and lacking in common sense.  Either way, she might also bear investigation into."
Ser Bors MacAllister
 NPC, 20 posts
 Queen Elaine's
 Dark Knight
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 17:21
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
    MacAllister listened to the two Explorer's, both at Sinclair's questions as well as Kavanaugh's thoughts. Whereas the Professor was more detached about things - or it at least seemed to the Knight that he was - the Innishwoman was the exact opposite on the matter. Her use of the word 'rabbits' was strange with regards to the explosion that decimated the Hall earlier that evening seemed to indicate that the Lady might have a more ... personal score to settle on the matter.

    A dull chime began to sound, a note that carried through the University's corridors and announced the top of the hour. MacAllister reached into his vest pocket and retrieved a small watch and opened it. His moustache moved slightly as he saw the hands showing just past 10 o'clock. "Time flies, it appears ..." he noted.

   After he snapped the watch covering closed and replaced the device back into his pocket, he looked to where Sinclair was. "Your next step would be to gather as much information as you can and determine what your opponent's next move is going to be. I'd advise speaking to Professor Ragnarsson in the morning, as he's likely as not still recovering from what's happened. I don't believe from what I've heard that the man will flee the University." Not judging from the man's size, anyway ...

   MacAllister looked towards the entrance of McCormick Hall as he considered something else. "Searching the rooms of the conspirators," It was the first time he'd used the word, indicating that he thought the whole matter might be more than just an unfortunate accident, "Will probably help to lead you to whatever the next direction you'll need to go to. I officially cannot perform such a search without a Queen's Writ - signed by a Magistrate - in hand, but I believe that the Explorer's Society can investigate such a matter without needing one." MacAllister spoke with a more official tone on the last couple of sentences, but it was likely that the 'Black Knight' had bent his way around more than one rule in his time as a Knight of the Realm.

   "Sadly, I cannot stay much longer.  I would like to leave Ser Rodney with you as a Liasion between the Society and the Knights. This is a matter of the highest importance and I'm confident that Ser Rodney is more than capable of carrying out his duties while I inform Her Majesty about this investigation. I'd suggest that you look into du Paix's quarters, as well as Isonzo's, and see what you can find. Once you've done that, get some rest. You'll be no good if you don't take some time to recover yourselves. It's been a rather eventful night, and one of your people has already suffered from pushing themselves too hard. I'd rather not see either of you suffer the same fate. I know what it is to be driven by something ... and I also know when to stop and take a step back. Consider all of your moves before you place a hand on that next piece, MiLady and Professor.."
Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 113 posts
 I have an idea...
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 02:19
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
Professor Sinclair listened to Ser McAllister and heard suggestions that carried some significant heft.  "Understood, Ser.  Since the rooms technically belong to the University and the Society, I am certain that the Society can search the rooms legally."

He turned to Lady Kavanaugh, "We should split up the rooms- Let me and one of the shieldmen investigate one of the rooms, and you take the other."  He paused to gather his next thought- Lady Kavanaugh was clearly enraged about Isonzo's betrayal.  But... "I read Vodacce.  Let me search her room, and you can search du Paix's."

Professor Sinclair stood up, his back creaking.  "I agree about needing rest.  But we should search the rooms now- waiting could lose us evidence.  I take your leave, Ser McAllister."  He nodded at the Black Knight and started to head to get help before searching the room.



[Moving to the Entrance Atrium.]
Ser Bors MacAllister
 NPC, 21 posts
 Queen Elaine's
 Dark Knight
Mon 4 Sep 2017
at 21:06
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
  "My lady, Professor ... unless either of you has any protest to my leaving Ser Rodney here, I'll leave you both to the search of the conspirator's rooms. I wish the both of you good fortune in your search and that you find something of interest that helps you both in your search. But if you'll excuse me, I need to speak with Ser Rodney before I leave. Good night ..."
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 174 posts
 I can do it!
Mon 4 Sep 2017
at 21:40
Re: MacCormick Hall: IC banter and gossip
"Thank you, Ser Bors,"  Lady Kavanaugh offered the Knight a respectful nod.  "For the sake of everyone who suffered tonight, may Theus help us get to the bottom of this horror sooner rather than later."

Sinclair had a point -- Aideen was woefully lacking in knowledge of the Vodacce language.  Who knew what the wretch had left behind?  Or, worse still, had taken with her?  The Inishwoman still fixated on Isonzo's eagerness in getting her hands on documents and seals.

Shaking her head, she set off for the Atrium herself.

[To Atrium ==>]