Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.   Posted by The Headmaster.Group: 0
Sybil Rothschild
 NPC, 3 posts
 Society Student
 House of the Sidhe
Wed 10 May 2017
at 03:53
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh:
"Oh, I should think a darker emerald would be quite marvelous!"  Lady Kavanaugh's cheeks creased with joy at the suggestion.  "As for shoes...something that doesn't pinch the toes too badly.  I don't know if there'll be dancing tonight, but just in case, I'd like to be able to move."


  With a nod and a curtsey, the girl exits out of the door and closes it behind her. Some 40 minutes later, a knock is heard at the door and when it is opened, the student enters with an emerald coloured ball gown that rustles as she makes her way past the door.  From what Kavanaugh could tell, it wasn't the latest fashion, but the colour would accentuate her naturally light skin tone and bring out her freckles. There was also a matching pair of shoes that she placed to one side for the Lady to try on later.

   "It is likely that there will be a dance in the earlier part of the evening, my Lady. The Montaigne are, if nothing else, fond of their dancing. And with the Imperial Ball next month, they need all of the practice they can get."

   Sybil can help you spend the afternoon getting ready for the evening's festivities. Kavanaugh will likely note that Rothschild is somewhat familiar with the 'ins and outs' of service, either she's been one in the past or has seen enough to know what to look for. She does falter here and there, but she isn't as experienced and polished as someone of  Scathlock's calibre would be. With some time and training, Rothschild might make a good 'Woman Friday' for an Expedition.
The Headmaster
 GM, 66 posts
 Narrator
Wed 10 May 2017
at 04:04
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Yvette du Rochelle:
Yvette is going to take some time to introduce herself to the various parties of visiting dignitaries, so that might know to whom to turn should something or someone foul turn up. She will drag Silvia and Emilia to these as well if it's not too much work (that is, if they don't offer resistance after she tells them the purpose is to avoid them getting shot. If it requires more work than that, well... You're on your own). She just wants some measure of coordination between the various bits of security wandering the party- it's not as if everyone will be wearing uniforms.

Well, the musketeers probably will be.

Yvette will casually milk the various parties for anything they know about potential threats, as well, while she's speaking to them.

 - I'll be handling the introductions and the "Event" in another thread, so you'll be able to post in there.

That done, she'll hunt down Etienne du Moreaux and offer him a little wager; a friendly duel. If she wins, he'll give up what he has to say about the Imperials. If he wins, she'll accompany him to the event.

Silvia Roark
 PC, 10 posts
 Shield Maiden
 Playwright, Shootist
Wed 10 May 2017
at 04:14
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Her choice, a wide-set cream and yellow dress, was fine. She'd made all the right calls between proper fashion and ease of movement - as much as one could, given the current rise of confining, constrictive dresses and accessories in popular fashion. Her blonde hair, pulled back almost but not quite tight enough to give her an unfortunately constant impression of surprise, was a testament to that. If only she'd kept it longer, she could have attempted the braided style that was starting to become in vogue.

"I never thought I would be praying for the caves and ruins..."


Turning away from the mirror, Silvia took off her gloves and started loading her pistols. Given her earlier discussion with a few shield maiden, she would have to load them such that one unfamiliar with the care of pistols wouldn't foul up the delicate balance of a loaded pistol with casual movement. Slightly oversized lead balls, rammed into the barrel with the end of a hammer, would seal one end, and she supposed that her only concern was the other Shield Maiden attempting impromptu hand-stands.

After adjusting the leather straps of her brace to have the guns point almost straight towards the floor, she washed the dust and black powder from her hands before re-donning her long gloves. Free of the dark, staining dust, she checked her dress and hair once more, before seeking out Paula Isonzo.
John Scathlock
 PC, 32 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 22:26
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
After speaking to various sources and procuring various bits of clothing, Scathlock will make the rounds of the various expedition members, checking last-minute to see if anyone needs anything of a material nature (clothing, alcohol, accoutrements, gifts, etc.)
The final pass will be to Lady Kavanaugh, not only to see if the servant is working out well, but to discuss, casually, the few things he has learned on his outings.
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 39 posts
 I can do it!
Sat 13 May 2017
at 00:51
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
The Inish Lady seemed much less stressed and happier than she was earlier in Professor Coulson's office.  Apparently, Sybil's abilities were more than up to snuff as the dress she chose for Aideen framed her features quite nicely.

<Av>"Mister Scathlock, is everything well?"
The Headmaster
 GM, 72 posts
 Narrator
Sat 13 May 2017
at 03:28
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
    As the afternoon moved closer towards the evening, activity began to rise as students and staff rushed to set up the tables, put out the glasses and best silverware the Society possessed in order to convey the right impression to the invited guests that would be arriving soon. Barrels of beer were being brought up from the cellars, and bottles of Imperial wine were finding their way into small buckets of very chilled water that came from a spring not far from the University. It was that very same water that some of the Students from the House of the Domae utilised in their rituals. Why or what the rituals were, however, was a closely guarded secret.

   As time passed, the smell of food began to attract the attention of some of the staff, and distract others, who made time to pass Discovery Hall and take in the mouth-watering flavours. In short order, two things happened almost simultaneously - first, members of the House of the Drachen were posted to guard the Hall and make sure no one was making off with food that was intended for the guests. Secondly, a call went out that those people looking for something to eat before the festivities began were directed to MacCormick Hall, where food was going to be served. Those that made their way to MacCormick Hall were given bowls of a meaty soup, along with bread and cheese to eat. As might be expected, the food went fast before the Hall was cleaned up a half hour before anyone was to show, and the Hall closed for the rest of the evening.

   Just before everything began, some of the Faculty members were moving about and making sure that everyone was prepared for the evening. Professors and teachers were dressed in their finest clothes that one might wear to a Voltadi morning Mass (or a Castillian Evening one, for that matter). Students, no matter their House, were all garbed in their Society uniforms, the Society Compass on one side, their House affiliation on the other.  People were starting to feel the excitement of the moment, that the first Society event of the year was about to get underway...
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 52 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Sun 14 May 2017
at 17:48
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Paula might conduct her affairs... differently...when on her own, but under the auspices of the Society, she will want to confer with Professor Coulson.

This may be done via PM or here.
The Headmaster
 GM, 73 posts
 Narrator
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:14
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Paula Isonzo:
Paula might conduct her affairs... differently...when on her own, but under the auspices of the Society, she will want to confer with Professor Coulson.

This may be done via PM or here.


   Depends on when and how soon, really.  You've got an hour before the guests arrive for the Fundraiser, so time will be at a premium for the Professor (He's been tapped as the keynote speaker for the event tonight, and asking any of the Faculty will gather Paula an answer that he is likely in his study, either drafting or rehearsing the speech he'll give)

   I'm comfortable with however you prefer, either PM or in Coulson's office.
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 53 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:39
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
The Headmaster:
He's been tapped as the keynote speaker for the event tonight, and asking any of the Faculty will gather Paula an answer that he is likely in his study, either drafting or rehearsing the speech he'll give.

Paula realizes now that she should have followed Lady Aideen into the Professor's office, afterwards, to clarify a thing or two.

The man must have given these speeches before, and so an interruption early-on might not be as serious a breach of protocol as her causing a faux pas at the Event itself.

Having heard that he is in his office, she knocks on his door and waits for a response.
Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 17 posts
 I have an idea...
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:40
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Just before the event, Professor Sinclair ran into Sylvia Roark in the hallway.  He held up a finger, " A moment, Madame Roark."  And found an empty room.

"I don't expect there to any issues, but there are one or two people looking for me that it would be..."  The Professor struggled to find the right word.  "... undiplomatic to have a run in with them at such an event like tonight's.  If you run into any of these people, can you please find me as quickly as possible?  That way, I can make certain that I do not run into them, as it would lead to some... awkward... conversations."

Before Miss Roark could comment, the Professor started counting out on his fingers.  "Well, first of all there's the Inquisition, of course.  You know how they can be regarding the Society.  But I suspect if the Inquisition shows up at all, everyone will be aware of that immediately."

A second finger.  "Then there are some other professors from other Universities- Francois Hillebrand, Grace MacKenzie, and Boris Nabakov."  Professor Sinclair gave a half-smile.  "Professors tend to get very selfish with their data, and when is overlap on research... well, academics will accuse each other of theft of research when it's nothing more than two brilliant minds following the same path."  The Professor gave a semi-shrug.

A third finger, "Anyone from the Villanova family of Vodacce.  Some of their cousins sponsored my research a few years ago, and they were displeased with the lack of results.  As all of us know who work in college, there are no guarantees with regards to research.  But I'm certain they understand, and their last comments to me were just them venting.  You know how hot-tempered the Vodacce can be."

A fourth finger.  "I know there are several Vendel merchants tonight- but keep an eye out for any Vestens.  Specifically, the Kolbeinsson family."  The Professor held up both hands.  "Lovely family, I cannot emphasize that enough.  Especially Frieda.  But there is an internal dispute that... well, it's a long story."  The Professor coughed.  "If any of them come calling for me- ever- please do not bring them to me.  Instead, let me know as quickly as possible."

The Professor waved his finger.  "That should be everyone.  I greatly apprecia..."  He snapped his fingers.  "Oh- one more.  There's a rather  loud boorish Inishman.  Calls himself the O'Bannon.  It's a funny story from several years ago- I tried to explain to him that just because a liquid has alcohol in it does not mean that it's fit for human consumption.  Despite the warning, I was told that when he woke up from the coma he was very cross with me."  He paused before shaking his head.  "I'm sure he's forgotten all about that by now."

The Professor shrugged, "But I'm certain I'm just being overly cautious- there's no reason to expect any of them to show up tonight- or any time in the future."  He paused, raising an eyebrow.  "Don't you agree, Madame Roark?"

OOC:  Foul Weather Jack can be your friend!
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 54 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:50
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
The Headmaster:
You've got an hour before the guests arrive for the Fundraiser, so time will be at a premium for the Professor

Silvia Roark:
Free of the dark, staining dust, she checked her dress and hair once more, before seeking out Paula Isonzo.

Paula's outfit is likely to be pretty simple, except for a self tear-away quality. She will try to see Professor Coulson an hour before the Event begins, then may be fit for holstered concealed pistols at your convenience. :)
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 55 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:54
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
I propose a DD for Professor Sinclair's post. ;)
The Headmaster
 GM, 74 posts
 Narrator
Sun 14 May 2017
at 19:01
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Paula Isonzo:
I propose a DD for Professor Sinclair's post. ;)


 - Proposal noted. Drama Dice will be given out at the first post for the Fundraiser.  :)
Silvia Roark
 PC, 11 posts
 Shield Maiden
 Playwright, Shootist
Mon 15 May 2017
at 01:35
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Silvia stepped into the room with a pleasant smile. Surely the professor had some exacting, but ultimately meaningless foible about some aspect of security...

"Certain-"

quote:
Before Miss Roark could comment, the Professor started counting out on his fingers.  "Well, first of all there's the Inquisition, of course.  You know how they can be regarding the Society.  But I suspect if the Inquisition shows up at all, everyone will be aware of that immediately."


Well, the Inquisition was everyone's enemy, really. Didn't even really need to be said.

quote:
A second finger.  "Then there are some other professors from other Universities- Francois Hillebrand, Grace MacKenzie, and Boris Nabakov."  Professor Sinclair gave a half-smile.  "Professors tend to get very selfish with their data, and when is overlap on research... well, academics will accuse each other of theft of research when it's nothing more than two brilliant minds following the same path."  The Professor gave a semi-shrug.


She bit her lip. Academic squabbles would need to get extremely out of hand to require her assistance. Battles of the mind and reputation were his to fight.

quote:
A third finger, "Anyone from the Villanova family of Vodacce.  Some of their cousins sponsored my research a few years ago, and they were displeased with the lack of results.  As all of us know who work in college, there are no guarantees with regards to research.  But I'm certain they understand, and their last comments to me were just them venting.  You know how hot-tempered the Vodacce can be."


Silvia's hands, politely clasped in front of her since the start of the conversation, began to constrict around themselves as she tensed her fingers.

quote:
A fourth finger.  "I know there are several Vendel merchants tonight- but keep an eye out for any Vestens.  Specifically, the Kolbeinsson family."  The Professor held up both hands.  "Lovely family, I cannot emphasize that enough.  Especially Frieda.  But there is an internal dispute that... well, it's a long story."  The Professor coughed.  "If any of them come calling for me- ever- please do not bring them to me.  Instead, let me know as quickly as possible."

The Professor waved his finger.  "That should be everyone.  I greatly apprecia..."


She raised a finger of her own, ready to object, when he continued over her.

quote:
He snapped his fingers.  "Oh- one more.  There's a rather  loud boorish Inishman.  Calls himself the O'Bannon.  It's a funny story from several years ago- I tried to explain to him that just because a liquid has alcohol in it does not mean that it's fit for human consumption.  Despite the warning, I was told that when he woke up from the coma he was very cross with me."  He paused before shaking his head.  "I'm sure he's forgotten all about that by now."

The Professor shrugged, "But I'm certain I'm just being overly cautious- there's no reason to expect any of them to show up tonight- or any time in the future."  He paused, raising an eyebrow.  "Don't you agree, Madame Roark?"


Silvia narrowed her eyes at him, incredulous.

"I think it may be easier for you to list those few persons who you have not managed to anger. Shall I get a quill and paper?"
John Scathlock
 PC, 33 posts
Mon 15 May 2017
at 15:08
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
"All is, in fact, well, Madam. I was merely checking to make certain all was going smoothly with yourself. If I may?"

Assuming access to the room is given

"I have managed to procure clothing and acoutrement for those who want them. I suspect that those who do not need to shine so brightly will have no particular need for my services, but being a back-up, as they say, is never a poor choice."

With a glance, the tall man dismisses the recently-hired help for the moment. There are words for the lady's ears only.

"Might I take a moment to look after madam's shoes? Always nice to keep a shine."

And while the buffing begins, so does the idle talk.

"If I may speak freely, madam? I've come to be aware of some small social connections of the attendees of the upcoming event that might prove, if not stunningly useful, then at the very least quite informative. And as those who do not favor the current Church regime put it, knowledge is, in fact, power."
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 42 posts
 I can do it!
Mon 15 May 2017
at 15:28
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
"Oh?"

As the manservant tended to her footwear, Lady Aideen's brows raised in both concern and curiosity at the news.
John Scathlock
 PC, 35 posts
Mon 15 May 2017
at 15:44
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
A small brush and polish were produced, seemingly from nowhere, as John began his servants-work.

"If we would begin with the Vendel, then? Master Svalbard, from what they say, is a very large man, generous with his appetites when it comes to food and drink. He is, dare I say, the very image of the 'jolly' man that we see on stage from time to time. Unfortunately, at least a small shard of that is a facade; he desires the company of a fine woman, but due to his girth, he finds himself completely alone in that arena."

Another bit of polish, this now applied to more stubborn areas of the footwear.

"I should like to have more time with these in the future, perhaps after the soiree? But I digress. As to more of the workings of the Vendel, we have Merchant Sigrid Rannesdottir. She is a friend of the ambassador, and perhaps more involved than that. She is, also, likely Master Svalbard's daughter. This has not been confirmed by those I've spoken to, but those that do speak of it think highly of the theory, with various bits of anecdotal evidence. One might say that there is the potential for scandal there, but the teapot has not quite tipped over at this point."

The polish is put away, and a cloth is brought out to polish to a nice shine.

"Finally, madam, we speak on M. Lucien Marc Sices du Sices. I would suggest he would be a worthwhile man to get on your side, or, at the very least, a dangerous man not to. He has links with Lady Jamais Sices du Sices in the court of Montaigne; a woman whose very words can cut more sharply than the hangman's axe into the 'life' one has within the nation and the courts. Through Lucien, I suspect, we will be known to Lady Jamais."

Placing the shoes back on the floor, Scathlock looks up, wondering if there is further discussion to be had.
Professor Alton Sinclair
 PC, 18 posts
 I have an idea...
Mon 15 May 2017
at 15:57
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Silvia Roark:
Silvia narrowed her eyes at him, incredulous.

"I think it may be easier for you to list those few persons who you have not managed to anger. Shall I get a quill and paper?"


"Oh, no.  I'm certain that there are far more people that I'm on good terms wi-"  The professor paused, looking up as he thought about the statement.  "Yes, yes... almost certain of that."  He nodded, more to himself than to Silvia.

"Besides, nothing untoward should happen tonight.  And if, through some set of unfortunate circumstances, we have a faux pas... I'm absolutely positive that your presence will prevent things from getting out of control."  The Professor nodded appreciatively.  "You seem extremely capable, Madame Roark.  I trust you fully."
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 43 posts
 I can do it!
Mon 15 May 2017
at 16:22
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
"Excellent work, Mister Scathlock."  Both in terms of the polishing and the news.  Lady Kavanaugh nodded approvingly.  Mister Scathlock was indeed proving his mettle.
John Scathlock
 PC, 36 posts
Mon 15 May 2017
at 16:30
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Without looking up, Scathlock gave a slight nod. "Of course, madam. We do our best. We will see if perhaps there is more to be done along those lines. I cannot guarantee results by tonight, but I will be as swift as timing allows me."

Rising back up to his full height, he pauses as he turns towards the door.

"A slightly delicate question, madam, and one that I only bring up because of the immediacy of the festivities; some of my former employers have wished me to stay nearby during events for ease of accessibility to my talents, and some have wished me to remain more distant and 'invisible', as it were. Which would you prefer in this instance?"
Lady Aideen Kavanaugh
 PC, 44 posts
 I can do it!
Mon 15 May 2017
at 17:25
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
"Nearby, if you would, Mister Scathlock,"  Though Aideen had the utmost faith in her own abilities to socialize and be both charming and diplomatic, having someone close by she could trust to have the Explorers' interests at heart would do a lot to relieve any misgivings she refused to admit she was feeling right now.

"Excellent job with Miss Rothschild, by the way."  The Lady added, beaming.  "I think she shows a lot of potential."
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 59 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Mon 15 May 2017
at 19:41
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Paula will seek out Silvia Roark to coordinate clothing, and stories.

When finished, she will seek out Lady Aideen for a chat.
John Scathlock
 PC, 37 posts
Tue 16 May 2017
at 00:47
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
"Of course. And thank you, madam. She seemed quite well-suited for the task. Shall I meet you at the event? Say, a few minutes beforehand?"
Silvia Roark
 PC, 12 posts
 Shield Maiden
 Playwright, Shootist
Tue 16 May 2017
at 10:00
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
quote:
"Oh, no.  I'm certain that there are far more people that I'm on good terms wi-"  The professor paused, looking up as he thought about the statement.


Silvia raised a questioning eyebrow.

quote:
"Yes, yes... almost certain of that."  He nodded, more to himself than to Silvia.

"Besides, nothing untoward should happen tonight.  And if, through some set of unfortunate circumstances, we have a faux pas... I'm absolutely positive that your presence will prevent things from getting out of control."  The Professor nodded appreciatively.  "You seem extremely capable, Madame Roark.  I trust you fully."


"I see. Well, I appreciate your trust. It hasn't been borne out by any action of my own, but it's appreciated nonetheless. Now, unfortunately..."

She held up her pistol brace.

"...I must part ways if that is all. I need to make arrangements, in case any of the myriad parties you mentioned - or anyone else untoward, for that matter - has designs on spoiling the party."

She began to look around for her fellow shield maiden.
Paula Isonzo
 PC, 62 posts
 Talks a lot. Sings a lot.
 Draws a lot. Annoys a lot
Tue 16 May 2017
at 10:58
Re: Interlude - Preparing for the Evening's event.
Paula updates to her checklist:
Paula Isonzo:
Paula has several specific things that she would like to do before the Event, and
several general things that she would like set up/make an appointment for afterwards or on a subsequent day.

Specifics:
X  1. Speak to Etienne du Moreaux. <Accomplished>
X  2. If Professor Sinclair would like assistance with a specific bit of research, she will volunteer to help him with it. <Deferred>
X  3. Prepare for her 'role' (might need a little research as to costume). <Accomplished>
X  4. She will offer to draw quick sketches of as many people beforehand as:<Changed, see 11>
     a. Professor Coulson requests,
     b. Lady Aideen requests,
     c. Other requests beforehand, as there is time.
     d. After all of the guests have the left.

General appointments:
X  5. With an Assistant Librarian at the Olaf Library.<Accomplished>
X  6. A tour of the Society Museum. <Deferred>
X  7. A look at the Research Facilities. <Deferred>

X  8 Speak with Professor Coulson. <Accomplished>
9. Speak with Lady Aideen, as possible. <to be done>
10. Search out/Coordinate with Sylvia Roark, as possible. <to be done>
11. Draw sketches during the Event (from 4). <to be done>

To address 9, and 10 (if not yet Accomplished), she will station herself among the receiving line (taking on the role of Wallmart Greeter a Society aide/sketch artist, in her robe, with ordinary dress underneath, a sketchpad, and do 9/10 (if still necessary).

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:36, Tue 16 May 2017.