[IC] The case of the disappearing woodcutters.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 161 posts
 The voice of reason
 The messenger of destiny
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 11:13
Re: The final serpent
Nevyn:
When the gatorman finally began to move away Nevyn called out, "Wait, what do you know about the missing humans? Did you children tell you anything about them perchance?"


The Gatorman doesn't stop, but continues his slow walk away. He does speak however.

"I cannot say for certain what happened to your missing pink-skins. But my serpent-daughter is well fed, as were her family, and der be dozens of fresh bones 'round the bottom o' dat tree, dat look like dey been digested by a large serpent."
Narrator
 GM, 162 posts
 The voice of reason
 The messenger of destiny
Mon 31 Jul 2017
at 11:20
Re: The final serpent
The swampy area around the tree seems to grow deeper towards the center of the clearing, but get shallower near the tree. Water depth looks to range from just below the knee to roughly armpit level.

Other than yourselves and the gatorman's party, there is no movement or sound in the clearing.

You can see the gleam of some metallic objects in the water around the base of the tree.

The gatorman speaks up just as he is crossing the threshold into the forest on the other side of the clearing:

"My serpent-daughter's greatest treasures lie in da nest. She says you should take them for besting her."
Hogsworth
 player, 120 posts
 Farrow Warlock
 Shaman (Dhunia)
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 08:41
Re: The final serpent
In reply to Narrator (msg # 303):

The spark of memory flashed across the old Farrow's face for an instant before it was drowned by the realization of absolute terror. "We thank you and your serpent daughter." He stammered to the Gatorman Shaman.

Then, face still awash with half-crazed terror the ancient and now ghostly pale shaman turned to his companions and rushed out: "We should gather our prize and go. Haste is of the essence." With that he made towards the nest, mentally pushing Queen Ayne to join him to gather up the loot as quickly as possible.

Apparently the danger had not passed. The most important pup's bizarre sense of urgency was palpable. The Queen wasn't sure what caused the pup to suddenly begin squealing with such fright but her matronly senses kicked in and she moved to protect and shelter it. It seemed to want to gather some items by a tree. The Queen made her way over with the pup to begin the collection.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:44, Tue 01 Aug 2017.

Izaman
 player, 114 posts
 Priest of Morrow
 Military Commander, Ret.
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 12:06
Re: The final serpent
In reply to Hogsworth (msg # 304):

Izaman begins circling the tree, looking around and asking those that were also searching, "So, any wagers on what is considered a Wurm's 'greatest treasure'?  I say it's an old rake, to scratch at itches."
Narrator
 GM, 163 posts
 The voice of reason
 The messenger of destiny
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 15:19
Re: The final serpent
The "treasure" at the base of the tree consists of any undigestable materials the tatzylwurms must have expelled from their nest.

You find roughly 46 gold pieces in actual coins, and a few sacks worth of metallic objects that should fetch a decent price from a blacksmith and jeweller.

As one of you climb up the tree to the nest, you find that in the nest, now abandoned, are 3 tatzylwurm eggs, still surrounded by what smells like rotting vegetation, kept warm while their inhabitants grow ready to face the world.
Relissyss
 player, 81 posts
 Priest of Nyssor
 Ryssovas
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 15:47
Re: The final serpent
In reply to Hogsworth (msg # 304):

At the mention of Dragon Blight Relissyss flinches noticeably.  Rime begins to form on his pauldrons and he seems barely restrained.  As the Gatorman turns to leave, he expels a loud sigh, vapor streaming from the slits in his helmet, and his stance relaxes slightly.

As Hogsworth goes to check the tree, he nods in agreement, "We should certainly be out of here as quick as possible.  We are vulnerable to ambush and restricted by all this swamp."  He sheaths his Great Sword and goes to help in the recovery of the items around the nest.

"We should take those eggs with us.  If whoever controlled those shamblers stole the wurm from the Gatorman and was trying to raise more, we should deny them that part of their prize.  Who knows, they may fetch a good price to the right buyer."

Careful to not get too much muck into the joints of his armor, Relissyss lifts one of the sacks of metallic objects and starts carrying them back to where they had to leave their mounts.
Izaman
 player, 116 posts
 Priest of Morrow
 Military Commander, Ret.
Tue 1 Aug 2017
at 16:03
Re: The final serpent
In reply to Relissyss (msg # 307):

Izaman visibly squirmed in his armor, trying to rub the itches with the inside of his armor, "The only ambush I'm worrying about right now are these bastard mosquitos.  Armor and a divine spell to survive being hit in anger by a sword or mace, but a mosquito's stinger goes right thru like they weren't even there.  Someone should make weapons made from mosquito stingers.  They'd rule the world.

Lets gather these things and get out of here.  I need to take off my armor to scratch at these mosquito bites.  My horse can haul most of these things while I walk.  Someone point the way!"

Nenwhen Menellyth
 player, 68 posts
Thu 3 Aug 2017
at 10:50
Re: The final serpent
The elf looked on at the gatorman and his fellows throughout their confrontation until the shaman left with his menacing menagerie.  Following their lead, he helped to retrieve the discarded items from the area of the nest.  At the Nyss' mention of tatzylwurm eggs, Nenwhen remarked, "I am afraid I know nothing of animal husbandry.  Is our porcine companion amenable to ferrying these eggs to market or would the temptation be too great for her majesty?"
Narrator
 GM, 166 posts
 The voice of reason
 The messenger of destiny
Thu 3 Aug 2017
at 11:15
Re: The final serpent
Night begins to settle as you finally make your way back to the logging camp you first stayed in, after collecting the corpses of the Tatzylwurms as proof of your deeds.

Having managed to get the Tatzylwurm eggs and their "nest" into the wagon, once at the camp you are able to build a crate to keep the whole thing in, leaving more room to pack  the rest of your haul. You are also able to dress the serpent's carcasses, leaving you with a large amount of snake skin and 3 Tatzylwurm heads to bring into town.

That evening, you are all treated to a lovely meal of roasted Tatzylwurm.

The good food and satisfaction of a job well done allow you to all get very good night's rest, and the next morning you set off for the lumber yard with your prizes in tow.
Fenwick Lajoie
 NPC, 6 posts
 Grimwater Lumber
 Foreman
Thu 3 Aug 2017
at 12:33
Back in Grimswater
Upon your arrival, one of the guards at the Lumber yard sends a runner to fetch Mr. Lajoie and then proceeds to let you in.

"Well now, that was fast, just the way I like it. Was your expedition also successful?"

After recounting the tale of your encounters with Gob and the Tatzylwurms, the foreman seems both concerned and relieved.

"Well, that certainly explains a lot. Excellent work. Your employer did a good job in hiring you folks. If you give me a moment I'll head back to my office and get your payment. Would you mind if I looked through the items you recovered? Some of the widows have been asking about recovering some personal items that we couldn't find in camp."
Hogsworth
 player, 126 posts
 Farrow Warlock
 Shaman (Dhunia)
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 00:56
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Fenwick Lajoie (msg # 311):

"I can't speak for everyone but the Queen and I are fine with that. When you can't eat loved ones, sometimes keeping their possessions is the only option. That being said they may want to take those possessions to a priest to be ritually purifying. There was the possibility a very powerful and ancient Gatorman was involved in this."
Nevyn
 player, 58 posts
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 06:14
Back in Grimswater
"Aye, you are welcome to go through the haul," Nevyn replied to the foreman distractedly. Throughout the journey back and during the night of feasting and resting, Nevyn had been plague by the Gatorman's comments, about some other dark power being at play in this region.

It was quite possible it was this nefarious shadow operating behind the scenes that had been the cause of the Circle for sending Nevyn to this area. Unfortunately Nevyn was really no closer in discovering anything more as to the identity of this shadow.

"We are well rested and mostly recovered, and we look forward to any more tasks you might have for us."
Nevyn added to the foreman. "Any news or rumors you have regarding the region would be welcome also, no matter how outlandish."
Fenwick Lajoie
 NPC, 7 posts
 Grimwater Lumber
 Foreman
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 11:46
Back in Grimswater
After coming back from his office and looking through your collection of salvage, the foreman seems rather pleased.

As he hands you a bag containing 500 gold crowns, he says:

"There's a good number of items here the widows might like, and the rest is all useable goods for us here. Could I take the lot off your hands for an extra 75 gold?"
Izaman
 player, 121 posts
 Priest of Morrow
 Military Commander, Ret.
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 12:49
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Fenwick Lajoie (msg # 314):

"Unless someone here feels like setting up shop as a merchant to sell this stuff, I would rather have it taken off our hands so we can focus on doing the things that we are actually good at."
Turso
 player, 87 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 17:10
Back in Grimswater
As usual, while clad in his armor, Turso didn't feel much like talking, so he let the debriefing to the others.

Yet, he nodded in agreement with what the priest said.
Hogsworth
 player, 129 posts
 Farrow Warlock
 Shaman (Dhunia)
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 22:41
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Izaman (msg # 315):

"75 more is a share less scrounging for food the Queen and I have to do. Sounds good to me."
Fenwick Lajoie
 NPC, 8 posts
 Grimwater Lumber
 Foreman
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 11:11
Back in Grimswater
"Thank you, we'll make sure this all gets re-used or returned to the families of the fallen."

He hands you a small, but heavy coffer, and a small pouch. Both are full of coins.

"Feel free to keep the wagon, as a bonus from me".

And with that, he turns to leave, and you turn and return back to town.

As you reach the gates to town, one of the guards mentions that you will no longer be staying at the inn, and gives you directions to the warehouse district, where you find Liv standing outside the door of a small compound.
Liv
 NPC, 1 post
 Bank Teller
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 11:59
Back in Grimswater
"Welcome back ladies and gentlemen."

Liv leads you into the compound and sweeps her arm around, indicating the various buildings around.

"To your new home. There's stables on the left for the mounts, and pens on the right for more 'exotic' companions such as her highness. There are barracks in the upper level of the warehouse; the rooms are small, but each of you gets their own private space, bed, wash basin, and a small storage locker. Latrine is at the back of the compound near the outer wall. Hopefully 4 outhouses are enough."

Liv takes the coffer and sack of coins, "I'll divvy this up for you and add your salaries. What else have you brought back from your travels?"

She looks into the crate and sees the eggs, and her eyes open wide. "Tatzylwurm eggs? Now that's an exotic find... Luckily I'm connected enough that I can probably find a buyer. 10% cut of the sale good enough as a brokerage fee for myself? Could take a few days or weeks to get them all moved though."
Hogsworth
 player, 130 posts
 Farrow Warlock
 Shaman (Dhunia)
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 20:30
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Liv (msg # 319):

The Major Prime looks quite pleased with the warehouse. He straightens his coat to a mighty jingling of medals and replies, "The Queen and I accept your kind invitation to our new abodes. I'll see about getting her set up comfortably. The Eggs were the big find. A lot of the other 'extras of potential interest' were claimed by relatives of the deceased."

Queen Ayne eyed at the warehouse, it would do for shelter. She was as of yet unsure about this new building but the most important put was radiating delight so mayhaps it would prove good shelter. Lots of other large huts littered the area and there were fewer trees or plants. They would have to roam farther to forage but if it was safe then it would be a good nesting spot.
Nevyn
 player, 59 posts
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 23:06
Back in Grimswater
Nevyn greeted Liv warmly, or at least as much warmth as a Blackclad used to being in the wilds could muster under normal circumstances. "Our thanks for your hospitality Liv, 10% sounds fine to me."

With that Nevyn went to his room to deposit his belongings and freshening up; he then locked the door before coming down to the commons and seeing about getting something to eat and discussing his next move with the others.

He was still troubled about the intel they had received from their last mission, and how despite that he was no closer to discovering the true reason for the disturbances in the region. Not to mention they had yet to figure out exactly what had happened to the missing woodcutters and who had been responsible...
Relissyss
 player, 83 posts
 Priest of Nyssor
 Ryssovas
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 00:38
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Liv (msg # 319):

Relissyss held his helm under his arm as he surveys the modest compound.  As Liv speaks, he absently nods his head in agreement.  At the mention of the eggs he turns his sharp features her way and adds, "If your contacts seem strange at all with regard to the eggs, I'd appreciate knowing.  Someone out there was trying to cultivate a brood of the beasts and they might still try to get their hands on the eggs."

He then walks his Ulk over to the stables.  After he removes its tack he marches over to his room and removes his armor in favor of some light traveling clothes.  After seeing to grooming and feeding his mount he spends the rest of the afternoon cleaning and polishing his armor and Great Sword while humming a solemn melody.
Nenwhen Menellyth
 player, 69 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 08:20
Back in Grimswater
Nenwhen shrugged at Liv's offer to broker the eggs for them.  "Whatever you like, good lady.  Perhaps you could be so good as to find a lad or lass who likes to work and knows something about horses."

That said, he leads his horse to a stall and closes it in before heading upstairs to claim a room and nap.
Izaman
 player, 123 posts
 Priest of Morrow
 Military Commander, Ret.
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 11:27
Back in Grimswater
In reply to Liv (msg # 319):

Izaman was lost in thought as Liv showed the party their new lodgings.  He was still faraway when the various party members replied to her questions.  Having returned from his daydreams, Izaman chose not to risk contradicting his companions and kept silent.

He then proceeded to care for his horse, who had been injured in the first Tatzylwurm ambush.  Once completed, he went to his rooms to clean and care for his gear as well as his own hygiene.

After a brief rest, Izaman locked up and went out to find out what the new day would bring.
Turso
 player, 90 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 14:50
Back in Grimswater
Turso listened to the exchange between his team mates and Liv in silence, lost in his own thoughts.

Then, the tracker took his horse to the stables and afterwards went to his room to get out of his armor. Once he comes back to the common areas, he is once again in his more social self, as if all his concerns were wrapped up in the metal protection he just unclad.
Liv
 NPC, 2 posts
 Bank Teller
Wed 16 Aug 2017
at 11:40
Back in Grimswater
Well then, it is settled. I'll get working on fleecing someone for all they are worth over these eggs.

The Handler sends his regards, and will be back in a few days from a trip to Corvis.

I suggest you take some time for a little R and R before we wrap up negotiations on a couple of new contracts.