02.01: Warnings Expressed & Received (Mona, Luke)   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 NPC, 37 posts
Sat 7 Oct 2017
at 06:15
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received

The next morning was an overcast day.  Winds blowing in from the West brought a coolness to the air, and an increase in seagull activity.

Luke & Silas rented space in a short-term shared office-space in the Union Trust Building across from Occidental Square.   It provided boardroom, office-space and administrative support.  After a quick phone call, Mona met Luke at their office.

Mona gave him the basic run-down.  There wasn't much, but there it was.  In fact, it sounded a little like the plot from The Terminator, which likely meant somebody was fucking with them.   Except... there had been a fae body at the golf club the night before, and Luke's place had been tossed.
Narrator
 NPC, 38 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 10:59
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
They just happened to be there, when a FedEx courier came inside.  He had the receptionist, a lovely young lady named Melanie, sign for the package, then he took off, whistling lightly as he went.

"Hey, Mr. Biachi.  This just came for you."  Melanie poked her head inside.

It was a simple 1-cubic foot box.  Standard brown packaging, no wrapping.  A swatch of packing tape sealed the top closed.   Luke's name and the office-space address was scrawled in a sharpie on one side, but type out on the FedEx shipping form.

Inside were two items.  A small cloth "hello kitty" backpack (containing a change of clothing, twenty-dollars in five-dollar bills, and a couple of protein bars) and a silver-cased .30-06 Springfield bullet.

Underneath the backpack, a small piece of paper fell out.  Black printed ink on standard printer paper,  Only the words, in large-faced san-serifed font: "WE KNOW YOU"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:59, Mon 09 Oct 2017.

Mona
 Werecat, 60 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 21:31
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
Mona had been sitting in one of the chairs facing Luke, leaning back without lifting the chair's legs off the ground, sort of a reclined slouch. Her legs were out in front of her, crossed at the ankles, her elbows on the armrests. One of her hands was tapping a couple of fingers absently.

"Yeah, it doesn't sound like much. Best to let you know anyway. If it's fake, then we can just be on edge a little. If it's real, then we can be ready if something happens. Safe vs sorry, right?" Mona was quiet when Melanie brought in the package. She was extra quiet when the box was opened. Her posture shifted subtly, crossing her arms and uncrossing her legs, both now feet flat on the floor. Though her voice retained the same dry, disinterested tone, her words were suddenly a little more clipped, and her eyes suddenly much wider.

"...So like I was saying, it's a good idea to let everybody know. There's something serious going on, and we need to be ready. Uh, if you don't mind, I'd like to take that with me. Because it's mine."

[I'll let Luke decide if Mona hears about the fae body, which would be a nice price to trade for knowledge of just where Mona got the message from. (She left out Lydia and was vague about the...to be honest, totally vague unnamed voice.)]
Control
 GM, 312 posts
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 22:14
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
We can assume that The Marshall filled Luke in on the basic details of the body, as Silas will need to spend some time following up on it, trying to identify the body.  Which means trying to meat with Summer and Winter emissaries to Oz.   So, he's out of the scene for a bit.

Puerto Rico instabilities and all...
Luke
 Malvoran Virgin, 66 posts
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 01:57
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
Luke had stayed home until he was able to get his front door replaced. As he waited, he straightened things up. Still a lot left for him to do, but he got to work in time to open the shop just before Mona called.

"The backpack's yours?" Luke raises an eyebrow at Mona, then tosses it to her. "If this bullet is one of mine, like I think it is, it was probably picked up when my house was tossed last night." Luke examines the bullet, then pockets it. "You might want to check out whatever hideaway you had that pack stored in. Whoever visited me last night made a mess, but didn't break anything, or take much."

Luke smooths out the small piece of paper. "If this is related to your warning from the future, I'm wondering if whoever is targeting us also has some future knowledge they're using."

Pulling his smartphone out of his pocket, Luke calls his mother. "Hey, Mom? Yeah, someone's trying to scare me. B and E, anonymous threats, that sort of nonsense. Sounds like stuff family would do, so keep your guard up. Oh, and if you hear anything about a prof named Sebastian Strauss, let me know, will you? He's apparently tied into this."
Control
 GM, 315 posts
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 05:21
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received

Pamela takes the information in stride.   She doesn't seem terribly bent out of shape.   She knows that Luke can take care of himself.  She definitely appreciates the information.   And she offers to have someone look into Strauss, if you want...  So...  Do you want anything from Pamela out of this conversation?
Luke
 Malvoran Virgin, 67 posts
Sun 29 Oct 2017
at 21:59
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
"Actually, you might want to stay away from him. Some time travelling seems to be involved, and that breaks a Wizard rule, doesn't it? I'll let you know what I find. If you could keep an ear open and let me know if anyone in the family is being used, or giving advice, on how to scare people with break-ins and the like."

When the conversation is done, Luke turns to Mona.

"Shall we head over to campus? Or do you want to stop by wherever your backpack had been, so you can see what damage has been done to your place?"


The phone call is just setting things up so that later I can invoke the Mother's Pawn aspect for information, and giving you a chance to compel it, Control, if you choose.
Mona
 Werecat, 62 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 19:33
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
Mona's stare was fixed on the backpack, thoughts running through her head about the various possibilities and next steps. When Luke spoke to her again, she jerked her eyes up to meet his. Definitely spooked.

"Huh? No, it's probably being watched, unless they're very confident. Campus sounds best. I don't remember mentioning time travel, though. Message came from a spirit, probably Fae, but definitely tied in to that cute twig the newlyweds have. Though I wouldn't rule out time travel, now you mention it. Anyway, you might consider getting Strauss some protection. if whoever this is doesn't want him doing what he's doing, he could be in just as much danger." She leaned forward and took the backpack, clutching it on her lap for a moment as she went back into thought. It looked odd, having so much pink and white and proprietary kitties on her lap, while she was wearing so much plain black and grey.

"I'll need to talk to Willa about this soon, too."
Luke
 Malvoran Virgin, 68 posts
Tue 31 Oct 2017
at 19:44
02.01: Warnings Expressed, Warnings Received
Luke furrows his brow, "Didn't you say the spirit was from the future?"

Luke arms himself, and makes sure his licenses are on him, then grabs some chalk out of a drawer.

"Let's find out what he knows, and see if we need to hire help. I don't trust my people enough to guard him instead of taking him for their own purposes. Getting an alert is the most I'm hoping for."

Opening the door to the entryway, Luke look at Melanie as he walks to the front door. "Off on a field trip, Mel. Forward any important calls to my cell."