02.04: Seattle University... (Luke, Mona)   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Luke
 Malvoran Virgin, 70 posts
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 21:16
02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Create asset looked like the best of the four actions to discover an aspect. Or create the aspect I Know What You Are. Either way, trying to figure out what he is.
Narrator
 NPC, 45 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 11:03
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Hello, Dr. Strauss? I'm Penelope Angler, Native American Studies major. Your new research assistant? I didn't mean to come at a bad time, but I did make an appointment. Maybe not such a bad time. Looks like you could use some assistance, right?"

The big man spun around, a look of momentary confusion on his face.

He was a very big man.  Pushing six foot three inches tall.    His neck was as thick as a telephone pole (well, almost).  His skin was dark, almost black.  And there appeared to be a patch of white flesh around his right eye.  He had a dark black beard that met the end of his black turtleneck.

The skin condition is called Vitiligo...
Control
 GM, 319 posts
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 11:04
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Mona, Yeah, I think a guile roll would work well.   Are you thinking Create Aspect?  What are you trying to do or discover?  And, more importantly, how are you trying to do it?

Luke, you tied his roll.  So... I'm taking it as looking for an existing Aspect.   He doesn't fit squarely into any of the factions that you can identify...   All I can give you is that he might be human, but he's not quite human.   There's something about him.   We'll say he has an aspect BIG, BURLY AND BAD-TEMPERED.   As a tie, it doesn't get you any immediate boost or invokes.
Tanjin
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 11:22
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)

The expression on the big man's face cycled quickly through confusion, annoyance, then guarded caution.

"He's not here."  The big man said. "Said he'd be here.   Took my... damned money..."

The big man's gloved fists clenched and unclenched and for a moment, as he glared at Mona, then Luke.  He exhaled heavily, and it actually came out like a growl.

Okay, The Big Man's going for an intimidation roll.  This is definitely a social Attack. He got a Fair(+2) Result.

You may defend with whatever approach you think is appropriate, but please couple it with some sort of narrative exposition or action.

Mona
 Player, 64 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Sat 18 Nov 2017
at 00:35
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
[I'm using Guile to Create an Advantage. Mona's trying to fast-talk herself a cover as a student who definitely should be present and who is very much not threatening, with a goal of getting the big guy to not feel the need to get violent. The assumption is that he's someone who shouldn't be there ransacking an office, in which case he'll likely want to avoid doing anything to draw attention unless he's pushed to it. Hopefully that's a correct assumption, and we're pushing him away from it.

16:24, Today: Mona rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice with rolls of 0, -1, 0, 1.  Guile Create an Advantage +3.

How's a +3 result look for that?

As for my defense against intimidation, I'll use Intellect to rationalize that he isn't in a position to hurt us unless we start something first.

16:28, Today: Mona rolled -1 using 4 Fudge dice with rolls of 1, -1, -1, 0.  Intellect Defense +2.

Ah...-1. Sometimes, y'know, knowing something to be true doesn't make it feel any better. I'll take that shift of stress.]


Mona had been expecting a scholarly type, an old professor. Maybe bitter about how his research had been roadblocked, but nothing too dangerous. Finding this guy looming over her, Mona's attempt at a fake smile sort of evaporated into a wide-eyed stare as she took a step back and shrank a bit.

"Uh, oh. That's unfortunate for us both, then." Although fight-or-flight was beginning to kick in, she managed to hold it back. Maybe he'd tell her something more useful. Or maybe he'd up and leave her alone with the professor's lab. In either case, up and leaving wouldn't do her or Luke any good right now.
Luke
 Player, 71 posts
Sun 19 Nov 2017
at 20:40
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Luke considers yielding, but if Mona isn't, he's not going to leave her alone. Still, unless he gets a clear sign this goon is inhuman, he's not going to fight it here and now. He allows himself to look puzzled.

"If he told all three of us that he'd be here, now..."

Luke backs a few steps into the hall and looks carefully around. This creates space the burly brute can use to leave past him, instead of trapping him in the office.

"...then he should at least be nearby." Luke continues to look to the side, which creates a social freedom for the goon to leave through. He pretends he'd recognize the prof by sight.

14:35, Today: Luke rolled 3 using 4 Fudge dice with rolls of 1, 0, 1, 1.  Guile +2 Defence.

So a total defence of 5.

Tanjin
 NPC, 3 posts
Fri 24 Nov 2017
at 12:51
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)

Mona's words caused the big man to pause.  His eyes shifted to Luke, then back to Mona.  It was clear he'd rather deal with Mona than Luke.  "You see him..."  the big guy said, slowly, as if having difficulty articulating the words.  "You see him, you tell him.   There's no fucking way I'm going back to Hoodsport.  He's fucking crazy, and he owes me.  Or I'm gonna..."

The big man teetered on the edge of fury, his thick neck actually swelled, making him look vaguely like he was about to --literally--explode.  "I'm going to make sure everybody know!  Everybody!   They don't wanna see him no more.  She don't wanna see him no more.  You got it?"

He towered over Mona, huffed, then stepped to the opening that Luke had provided. The big guy stormed down the hall toward the atrium, grumbling incoherently.

There was a brief bang as the bug guy punched a bulletin board on the wall, causing a bunch of papers to float out and around him.

Then he was gone around the corner.
Control
 GM, 325 posts
Fri 24 Nov 2017
at 12:51
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Luke:
Defense:(+5) VS Intimidate(+2) - You successfully defend.

Stress & Consequences
Luke [-] [-] [-] [-] [-] [-]
Mona [X] [-] [-] [-] [-] [-]


Sebastian
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 24 Nov 2017
at 12:56
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"I think..." a small voice said from behind the desk.  It was slow and quiet and sounded painful just to speak.  "I think I should probably say thank-you."

Behind the desk, laid out across a broken chair, one arm propped on an upturned leg, a twenty-something young man breathed with difficulty.  There was blood on his face.  One eye was already swollen shut from being pummeled and going brown with bruising.   One shoulder was hunched forward and the other back as if he'd been cast back like a rag-doll against the detritus of the office.

You know.  I think he might've killed me if you hadn't shown up. 
Mona
 Player, 65 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 18:45
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Mona gave the large man a clear exit, trying not to look like she was staring. Once the danger was gone, she whipped around to rush into the office, looking for the source of the voice.

"Professor Strauss? Luke, help me." Mona intended to make sure the man was in condition to move, then get him upright.

"You look terrible, sir. If that guy didn't know you were here, then who did this?"
Luke
 Player, 72 posts
Sat 25 Nov 2017
at 21:30
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Luke blinked his confusion away, shot a glance down the hallway to make sure the big man was not coming back, then followed Mona in to help her.
Sebastian
 NPC, 2 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 17:34
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Oh, he knew."  Strauss said.  He extended an arm and stood uneasily, steadying himself on the side of the desk. "I just told him I was Josef.  My office-mate.  Komicke.   Not the brightest guy.  Whoever that was.

"But, yeah.  I think I got the message." Strauss  bent down to pick up the chair, but winced as he did, and instead settled for leaning against the desk. "My wife's family are a bunch of assholes.  And you..." he gave Luke and Mona a once-over. "are not students here.  You don't look like academics.  So...  I'm going to go with writers.  Looking more real-world weirdness?"

He's trying hard to feign relative nonchalance.  But he's hurting.  His breathing is laboured and he appears to be favoring his left side.
Luke
 Player, 73 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 18:48
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"You, sir, are an excellent guesser. Do you have any weirdness you can tell us about?"
Mona
 Player, 66 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 19:39
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Mona quickly moved to upright the chair for him, then took a step back.

"We don't? Is it the broken ribs complete the look, the machismo, or the glass house? Jeeze, sit down before you puncture a lung or something. We came here looking to ask you about your research. Think we can talk while getting you some medical attention?"
Sebastian
 NPC, 3 posts
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 21:16
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"It's..."  Strauss grunted, "Not as bad as it seems.  I'll be okay.  Just let me catch my breath."  He waved them back for a moment.  After a moment, he nodded.  "Yeah, I think he might've broken a rib, you're right."

"That, unfortunately, was a domestic dispute, I think." Strauss said.   "He mentioned Hoodsport.  Where my wife is.   Look, they're unhappy because I'm writing my doctoral thesis on ancient Tsing't folklore.  But sending someone like that?
 He was kinda big, wasn't he?

This message was last edited by the player at 22:46, Mon 18 Dec 2017.

Mona
 Player, 67 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 18:30
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Yeah, he was big for a rhino. You sure know how to make friends, prof. What's your wife's stake in your research?"
Luke
 Player, 74 posts
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 19:41
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Her family Tsing't, by any chance?"
Sebastian
 NPC, 4 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 23:27
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Yeah, She's Tsing't.  I met her when I was doing a work-study stay on the Hoodsport Reservation."  Strauss said.  "Her father runs the Hoodsport Winery.  Jennifer went to see him after we eloped.   She didn't come back.  Won't return my calls.  But then, reception really sucks there."

Strauss paused, cocked his head to one side for a little as if in thought, then, "I don't think she's got any real stake in my research. I mean, she was my guide when I was in Hoodsport.  Told me a lot of the old stories.   Let me record hours of it.  And she really enjoyed hearing of the stories from other peoples...   We were cataloging the differences and similarities between Tsing't, other Haida and Duwamish mythologies, trying to pin down precisely when the Tsing't left the Haida Gwai."

Strauss shook his head. "I don't see how that's of much interest to anyone outside of academic sociology circles. But my mother was Tsing't.  It matters to me.  And Jennifer understood that."


Reminder: The Tsing't are a sub-group of the Haida people, who made some sort of exodus from Alaska to settle in the Hoodsport Canal.  Can't recall the original timeline (or if I even posted that)...  I'll look for the info-drop posts after work.
Luke
 Player, 75 posts
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 01:41
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Luke looks at Mona, really not sure what direction to take things from here. He thinks a moment.

"So, your wife went to Hoodsport, and fell out of touch. And now this thug claims to come out of Hoodsport, and he beats you up. And from what you say, your wife was supportive of your research. Are you sure she's okay?"
Sebastian
 NPC, 5 posts
Sat 6 Jan 2018
at 01:17
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"Well, of course, I'm worried." Sebastian said.  "To them, I'm still an outsider. "

After a moment, "What I can't understand is why he said he's not going back.  I've never even seen that guy before.  Said I owed him?  I'm very sorry you had to stumble into that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm also very grateful.   If you hadn't come along when you did...   But It's all very... unseemly."

"Now then." Sebastian seemed to be recovering his poise. "Enough about my marital problems.  I presume that you came here about The Fish-Wife.  What do you know about the story?"
Luke
 Player, 76 posts
Sun 7 Jan 2018
at 21:49
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Luke has to take a moment to keep up with the subject changes, but he replies gamely, "Rumours, really. And I'd rather not let my assumptions colour anything. Pretend I know nothing and start from the start, please."
Mona
 Player, 71 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Thu 11 Jan 2018
at 06:45
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Mona sighed at the man's bravado, but relented. He couldn't be too badly hurt if he was back to talking shop already. Or else he was just that kind of workaholic. In any event, they needed to know what he was up to, so she leaned against the wall and crossed her legs at the ankles, then crossed her hands over her chest to listen. When he asked about the Fish Wife, Mona gave Luke a quick glance before answering with a shrug.

"I know a few versions of it, but they all have the same basic bits. We'd rather hear from you so we're on the same page. Please, continue."
Sebastian
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 12 Jan 2018
at 11:20
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Strauss told the basic story, unadorned.

"This is a pretty common story to explain the mercurial aspect of strange creatures, and tie it to returning parents.  But as part of the Haida canon of ancestral histories, this isn't just a story--it's reality.  Every Haida people has some version of the story.   But not the Tsing't!

This supports the argument among some anthropologists that the T'singt are not originally Haida.  They fled Black Cod Island some time in the early 1800s and settled in Hoodsport.  The Kwakiutl and the Coast Salish gave them wide berth--as they'd been taken as slaves by the Tsing't in ancient history.

Jennifer...  She's a shamanic aspirant,  so she knows many of the hidden stories.  The Tsing't believe that reality is a multi-dimensional sandwich of layers between the endless sky and the watery underworld.  They walk a tightrope between venerating the sun and appeasing the Gods of the Deep.   If this is the case, then the devil-fish chief would have to be the Chief of the Gods of the Deep.  A sort of Poseidon/Hades mix.


Strauss was obviously excited, and loved talking about this.  I don't think that the fish-wife story is an omission from Tsing't lore.   It's part of the Shamanic insight, the secret history of the people. "
Mona
 Player, 73 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Sat 13 Jan 2018
at 01:44
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
Mona quirked a brow and gave Luke a level glance.

"Are you saying you think the Tsing't are fish people?"
Sebastian
 NPC, 7 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2018
at 03:43
Re: 02.04: Seattle University...  (Luke, Mona... George?)
"No, that would be crazy."  Strauss shook his head, acting as if he were offended at the suggestion.  "It's allegorical.  But most myths have some seed of truth in them.   I can't publish this yet, but I think this ties in to the reason they had to leave Black Cod Island, why they're here."