02.03: A Midnight Visitor, a Morning Reminder (Gordon)   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 NPC, 42 posts
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 12:51
02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
By the time he'd returned home, Gordon may have half-expected an attempt to have been made to break into his place.   But to his relief, there was no indication of anything wrong.

There was, however, a small beige envelope with the name "Gordon" written in a careful, elegant script.  There was a slight scent of almonds and ginger on the card.  a sure sign--if the writing itself wasn't a dead give-away--that Noriko was in town.   A quick once-over suggested that there was no magical element to the envelope or contents.

quote:
G;

I'm in town for two days.  The usual arrangements.

Dinner, perhaps?

--N.


The usual arrangements meant that she'd be staying with her uncle in Bellevue.  He owned a company that did landscaping for some very very big names corporate clients, with a strong focus on Japanese garden aesthetics.   Noriko usually stayed in a guest house on the acreage.



And, once again, I'm sorry to have left you behind.  Sometimes, dragging myself to rpol to write gets difficult...

This message was last edited by the player at 13:00, Wed 08 Nov 2017.

Narrator
 NPC, 43 posts
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 12:59
02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
Well into the night, but before dawn's promise made it's first faint hints, there came a tapping at Gordon's door...  Someone gently rapping.

When Gordon went to check, there was nobody there.  Darkness only. Only the wind whistling lightly through the trees on either side of Gordon's place.

Can you give me a bit of description of where Gordon lives?  Or remind me?  I can't recall if we'd discussed this before, and I can't find reference to it, if we did.
Gordon
 Wizard of Oz, 144 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 22:44
02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
Gordon stands in the foyer of his home.  And office, actually.  He owns the entire brownstone.  He lives in the top levels and his business is on the ground floor (there is also a basement that he has not decided what to do with yet.  So.... secure storage for now). Once you enter the foyer, you can either go straight through the, currently locked, french style doors that read: Ericson Psychological Services to the office suite.

Or you can go through the heavy security door on the left, labeled 'Private'.  Up a set of stairs to his rather spacious apartment.  If you were to accidentally take the door on the right side of the foyer, you would find yourself in a bathroom.

The set up is convenient for a lot of reasons.  It is very easy to get to work.  It also means his office can be covered by some of the wards and protections Gordon has placed over the threshold of his home.  It is also just a solidly constructed stone building.  Something durable and long lasting.  Good for wizards who have extended lifespans....

...assuming he doesn't get murdered in his foyer.

He whispers a word and the small chandelier in the foyer and the two lamps on either side of the front door flicker to life.  The just look electric.  Gordon is very good at making things look like the are supposed to.

He pulls his robe tighter around him.  His White Council robe.  Only a fool would answer the door in a bathrobe.

"Hello?," he says into the darkness with-out stepping over his threshold, "If there is anyone there, I formally request you reveal your presence."
Narrator
 NPC, 44 posts
Thu 9 Nov 2017
at 02:47
02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
"Sorry."  a voice called out.  a gravelly tenor that sounded hoarse, as if he'd smoked all his life and was suffering the consequences in old age.  "Old habits."

The man who stepped into the light could have been a homeless man.  He wore an ancient over-sized pea-green army jacket, pockets bulging with thick, wool-lined leather gloves.  A thick textured black shirt underneath folded tightly into brown denims and work-boots.  But all of it, rumpled as the jacket may have been, was immaculately clean.   He was perhaps in his mid-fifties or early sixties.  His skin was weathered, like wet leather dried as it stretched.  He had a salt and pepper goatee that was on the barest edge of scruffy, and long grey hair, tied back in a short pony-tail.

"I'm looking for a mister--doctor, sorry--Doctor Ericsson." The old man said.  "You can call me Gundram.  I'm almost sorry to disturb you so late.  But I am bound by customs, just as tightly as you, I expect."  He smiled, and the act transformed his face with warmth and compassion.

Gundram held his hands up as if he were being held at gun-point.  "I find myself in need of shelter this night.  I am far from home and there are... creatures about that seem hungry.  I offer no ill nor conflict, on my word and power."  traditional words.  "In fact, I've recently liberated a bottle of Stoli. Custom dictates that I share it with a stranger, a friend, an ally and an enemy in turn.  We have never met.  You should fit the bill nicely."
Gordon
 Wizard of Oz, 145 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 02:21
02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
He arches his eyebrow.

"If you swear by your power three times not to harm me and mine tonight, you may enter and I will offer Hospitality until morning," responds Gordon formally.  Basically, promising not to hurt him either (unless Gundram breaks the rules of hospitality, of course).

"While customs can be restricting and binding, it does make us a lot more polite and occasionally even kinder to our fellows," he smiles as he ushers him in, "Welcome.  I may even have some food to go with that bottle."
Gundram
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 11:53
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
The old man grinned affably, pleased with Gordon's response.   "It is nice to find people still remember the old ways."

Gundram centered himself, placed his feet shoulder-width apart and straightened his jacket.  "By my word and my power I will bring no harm to you or yours while under your roof tonight.  Once again, by my word and power you are safe from me tonight.  Thrice I've spoken it, and thus it shall be.   I have no intention of bringing violence upon you this night."

Gundram winked, "Except, maybe the imposition of a headache.  Have you ever had real Stoli?"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:53, Fri 17 Nov 2017.

Gordon
 Player, 146 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Fri 17 Nov 2017
at 19:57
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
He pauses as as leads his guest into his living room.

"Real Stoli?  Probably not.  Although, I had someone claim their fairy food was Stoli, but.... I did not want to be subservient to a minor Summer Lord, so I politely declined.  I have some cheeses, some fruit, and crackers.  What would pair well with it?"

Entering a host/guest relationship should cancel out all that gift giving/receiving nonsense the fairies use, but to be safe, Gordan makes sure that everything stays in balance.

"Cigars?  Although I tend towards a pipe, myself.  I have some real tobacco.  Grown local....almost no extra chemicals those companies put in it."
Gundram
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 24 Nov 2017
at 12:07
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
Gundram was a conscientious guest.  He did nothing untoward and seemed particularly careful not to offend.  With the sole exception of using Gordon's rest-room, he even made a point of astaying in Gordon's sight the entire time he was there.

The stolichnaya was bottled recently.  It was in a hand-cut crystal bottle.  Gundram didn't have the case for it.  The label indicated it was from Stolichnaya's Elit Pristine Water series is made using spring water from Chile.   It was still very cold.

As Gordon had opened up the the avenue of discussion by acknowledging the supernatural Gundram felt free to talk in that area.  He admitted that he wasn't sure that Gordon was a volshebnik.  He'd been told as much, but he didn't have but a couple of interactions with the Wizards.   And most of them, he said, didn't end happily.

Gundram was a changer, he admitted;  A raven.   He had survived a russian gulag in the sixties, had an unkindness (ironically, their word for family) in Lappeenranta (Finland) then, later, in East Germany just before the wall fell.  He'd been a traveller through most of his life.  To hear him tell it, he was the classic vagabond, back in the day, with a girl in every port and a brother in every city.  Except, apparently, Seattle.

He knew of the war between Wizards and Reds, knew that a lot of the factions were holding their breath, waiting to see which way the winds would blow.   He'd acted as a courier for a little bit, just before the hostilities started.  But when his unkindness was broken up, he lost track of them.  And now that the Reds were gone...  GUndram was trying to find his family again.

By his account, he'd had a good life--A difficult one, sure, but then he was Russian.   Gundram needed to have words with his little brother.  There were secrets he had to tell, secrets that would lift his brother's spirits.    Once that was done... well, perhaps it would be time to pull an Icarus.

Gundram had followed a story that had his brother in Seattle, working for Luiz and Yara Santos, the owners of Captive Spirits Distilling.  But direct and less-than-direct inquiries have proven fruitless.  For a region so rife with raven mythology, he'd truly expected to find more coraxi.  But instead, he'd found a couple of murders.  There was, apparently, bad blood between ravens and crows in the United States.

It was Gundram's attempt at the less-than-direct approach involving the Captive Spirits offices that aroused the local constabulary (his words).  In avoiding them, though, he'd run afoul of a local murder.  Carrion Crows, he'd called them.   Therefore, it was in his best interest to get behind a threshold before their magics found him.

Between his natural guile and a strong threshold, they'd probably have lost him by now.  By Dawn, he'd be free to go with no harm to anyone.  Gundram didn't seem terribly concerned.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:18, Fri 24 Nov 2017.

Gordon
 Player, 149 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Tue 28 Nov 2017
at 08:46
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
"You have lead an interesting life," admits Gordon, "and well travelled too.  I am a bit jealous, I find that I am becoming more sedentary as I go on.  I suppose that just means I go deeper where I am at."

"I admit, I am not very familiar with you and yours, and how you operate.  Tell me about your brother.  Perhaps, with a bit more information I can see other avenues of approach."
Gundram
 NPC, 3 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 17:54
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
"That is very kind of you."  Gundram nodded, apparently surprised by the offer.  "But I've got some things to do first.  If the offer still stands when I'm done, I'll meet your price.  For now, though...  I can tell you this:  The Coraxi have fled this region.  We're a superstitious people, I suppose.   Very in touch with the magical climate."

He lifted the shot-glass he'd been nursing to his eye, peered through the vodka, his eye distorted into a giant black orb.  "Not so much with the Corvi.   Stupid birds."

"There's trouble brewing, here.  I don't know what and I don't much care.  But I'll give you this for free:  Frogs are a-callin means there's a storm a-comin'.   You being a man of letters... you better be battin' down the hatches.  You're gonna get involved one way or t'other." Gundram shook his head.  "Of course, you could always just leave town..."  He pitched the last as a whimsical question, having apparently made up his mind that Gordon wasn't the kind to go running away on an old man's claim of unease.
Gordon
 Player, 151 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 21:25
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
He smiles.  No, he will not leave because of an old man's uneasiness, but that doesn't mean he won't head the warning.

"Thank you.  I will see to my hatches," he smiles, "If the Coraxi have fled, perhaps your brother has as well?"
Gundram
 NPC, 4 posts
Sat 16 Dec 2017
at 21:22
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
"If he's smart." GUndram nodded.  "He was the kind of guy who believed in seeing things through to the end, though.   No matter the cost.  If he got tied up in something here....  He doesn't leave loose ends.  He's kinda inflexible that way."

"Me...  well, promises are based on context.  You make a promise to love, honor and obey someone then find out that she's a psychopath who feeds on fear and pain, what do you do?  You promise to stand by someone forever... does that still hold after they're dead?  If you promise fealty to a house and that house ceases to exist, what then?


I've told what I want to with this so far...  I've a little bit more that'll have to wait til morning.   I think I've given enough for you to glean an Aspect or two from him.   Do you feel that there's enough in there for him to learn an Aspect or two about Gordon?  It might be useful--for either of you--later on.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:12, Mon 18 Dec 2017.

Gordon
 Player, 152 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Sun 17 Dec 2017
at 07:50
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
"Good point," Gordon replies, "promises should be balanced. 'Love, honor, and obey' should be a two way street.  If one side flounders the other can only make up the difference for so long.  Balance is key."
Control
 GM, 328 posts
Mon 18 Dec 2017
at 23:17
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)


With what I've given you about Gundram, can you suggest a couple of Aspects that you think might apply?   This is a conversation, of course.   I'm interested to see if my intentions in portrayal came across.

Obviously, Gundram knows Gordon is a Wizard.  So, there's that as a learned Aspect.

But, over the course of the evening, what kind of guy do you want Gundram to think Gordon is?  You can tie in to one of your existing Aspects if you want, or go in a different direction.   The only caveat there is that if you purposely want to misrepresent Gordon, we'll need to do roll (presumably using the Guile approach) to see if it takes.
Gordon
 Player, 153 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Tue 19 Dec 2017
at 07:19
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
Based on the interaction, Gundram probably got something like: 'A more helpful than wise wizard.'

Besides being a Coraxi?  'A concerned, but skittish, older brother.'  'Difficulty staying put.'
Gundram
 NPC, 5 posts
Sat 6 Jan 2018
at 01:59
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
In the morning, Gundram was gone.  One of the windows, however, had been left open...  And at the window-sil, a letter...

Doctor Ericson;

It was an honor and a pleasure to make your acquaintance.   You are a stranger to me no longer.  One day, I truly hope to call you friend.   Until that day, however, we are fated to be otherwise engaged.

Morg is a leader of the Fomori.  He is large and ugly but shrewd and clever.  He claims to have my brother.   I have been hired to "frustrate your efforts and sully your name" as you have done to him.

Please know that I bear no malice nor ill-will to you, but that I will take every effort to meet the letter of my contract.

It is my hope that when this is over, I will have the opportunity to make amends.  I will save the remains of the bottle until that time.  I hope that my brother and I will drink with you then and you may decide which of the four we are: strangers, friends, allies or enemies.

My contract lasts until the new moon.

--Gundram.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:22, Sat 06 Jan 2018.

Gordon
 Player, 154 posts
 Psychiatrist/Psychomancer
 White Counsel Wizard
Sat 6 Jan 2018
at 07:18
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
Gordon sighs.

"Of course," but he wasn't completely morose about it.  While Gundram was bound by a contract of some sorts, he managed to slip some information about their adversary.  Gundram didn't have to tell him the length of the contract, but he did.  He also may have let slip an alternative for breaking the contract... Gundram's brother.  Remove the brother from Morg's control and his control over Gundram should weaken.  Depending on the contract, it may break it all together.

And, to be fair, Gundram did warn him.

After shoring up his defenses (mystically and socially) Gordan starts contacting his friends who would like to rescue a captive Coraxi.
Narrator
 NPC, 49 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2018
at 04:18
Re: 02.03: The Following day... (Gordon)
And, among them was Willa.  She may not have had the supernatural acumen, but she did have a lot of contacts and resources at her disposal.

This will lead to the next thread, a basic meeting of the PCs.