03.03 City Sweats.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 NPC, 53 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2018
at 05:23
03.03 City Sweats
City Sweats  was the name of an "Urban Sweat Lodge", where a combination of heat-therapy, massage, acupuncture and various alternative medicine treatments was offered.

The neighborhood was a light commercial and residential area right across the street from the Madison Park.  Haley's Apparel on the first floor and McGillvray's Pub across the street were both closed for the night.

The entire area around the building was kept clean and orderly, with a single dumpster lined up close to the building, rolled out beside the blue and white bus-stop shelter.

The building itself was a two-storey conservative triangular affair in a sort of non-descript peach stucco, wedged against a five-storey apartment building.   It sat at the base of Madison St and 43rd, and commanded a view of the Madison Park dock and water-way.

Research had led them to discover that both City Sweats and the grey art-deco building wedged between it and the nearest apartment building were both owned by Haiduk Holdings.  They were close enough that no alleyway or space existed between them.   The main entrance to City Sweats was off of Madison St. There was another entrance through the Infrared Clinic n 43rd St.  And there was a simple unadorned metal door on the North side of the building, that opened out onto the driveway to the underground parking for the apartment building next-door.  The electrical junction box and meter is against the North wall, flush against the art-deco building.

The night was cool and overcast, typical Seattle weather.  There was a bit of a blustery wind coming in off the water and the forecast called for high winds with the possibility of rain around midnight.

There are people on the street, but it's not heavily trafficked.   It is, however a commercial/residential area, and near a public park and beach area.  Which means that there are going to be people walking their dog, going for a stroll, etc.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:41, Sat 28 Apr 2018.

Control
 GM, 369 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2018
at 05:24
03.03 City Sweats
Do any of you possess the  skill to cut the power?  What would you roll?   This will grant an appropriate Aspect.

Here's the map I'm using.  Only difference from real-life is that the building in the game has a second-storey.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@47...5y,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

Peeking into the building will have shown that there appears to be motion-sensors in the front lobby, and door-contacts on the business doors.

Here's the location of the doors:
http://geoectomy.net/get/CitySweats-Plan.jpg

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:00, Sat 28 Apr 2018.

Nicole
 NPC Medic, 8 posts
Thu 3 May 2018
at 03:23
03.03 City Sweats
Okay...  Guess I'll have Nicole try it...
Control, on behalf of Nicole, rolled 4dF(+2) + Guile(+2)


Nicole scouted the area well before-hand.  She'd spent a good portion of time at McGilvra's Restaurant, noting when the staff locked up City Sweats and left for the evening.

With the information provided by Mona, Nicole accessed the electrical junction box and cut the power to the building.

She made her way down to the Madison Park Beach, which was only a half a block away, and waited until the alarm company had sent a car around.   The security guard flashed a light in the window, pulled on the doors, then got on a cel-phone, and eventually drove away.   Nicole had reconnected the power.  Minutes later, one of the employees--the same one who'd locked up--drove by and entered the building.  He performed a once-through on the building, then left again, also on his cel-phone.

Nicole performed this activity twice more that evening.  The second-time, the employee came back but not the mobile security patrol.  The third time, neither of them returned to the building.

By that time, it was late enough that the ambient traffic had dwindled to a minimum.  So, Nicole called the others in.
Narrator
 NPC, 54 posts
Thu 3 May 2018
at 03:28
03.03 City Sweats
City Sweats was an Infrared Wellness center, where people went to enjoy the purging of a sauna experience.

The first floor held a front lobby and a long hallway branching off into several small chambers.  many of them were simple rooms with a inlaid heating element and--of all things--sand floors, simple wooden furniture and the warm tones and comforts one expected of a spa aesthetic.

The stairs at the end of the hallways led up into offices and an area for alternative therapies, including massage, acupuncture, cup-therapy and, of course, hot-rocks.


So... where do you want to go? Are you expecting any kind of problems?  What kind of things might be an issue?
Mona
 Player, 96 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Thu 3 May 2018
at 04:29
03.03 City Sweats
A stray cat had been hanging around the building, watching the comings and goings with mild disinterest. Once that third investigation was over with, the cat dashed back away, behind the building's dumpster, and wasn't seen again. Instead, a young woman in a black dress, some latex finger covers, and a nearly-empty army green backpack slipped in through the back door and started looking for the nearest office.

[Mona's looking for an office. Computers, filing cabinets, something she can snoop through. For those who don't know, the finger covers are... well, google "latex finger cots" and you'll find 'em. They're to keep from fingerprinting stuff.

Not knowing the layout of the place could be an issue, but a minor one. Anyone still left in the building could cause trouble, though that's unlikely with someone having had to come around to check. Useful info being in code could slow us down. Don't really have a lot in mind for obstacles beyond what was talked about in the OOC earlier.]

Marcus
 Player, 104 posts
 2 Fate Points
Thu 3 May 2018
at 09:52
03.03 City Sweats
Taking the same door as Mona did for his entrance as she headed off to check electronic records Marcus instead made for the alternative therapy rooms. To his mind they were the most likely place for private dealings and therefore the most likely place for any manner of subversive magic, weird Formor brain parasites or similar. Unlike the evidently more capable Mona when it came to infiltration Marcus had little talent and as such opted for speed over stealth.

OC: Challenge wise depends what you have plotted for us Control. Mundane or supernatural security, likely the physical kind seems most likely. Given the power has been cut that could also be causing issues we'd need to overcome.
Control
 GM, 371 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:40
03.03 City Sweats
Love the finger-cot usage :)

Oh, I have plans.   But I will continue to ask these kinds of questions because often what you can imagine might be more diabolical or way cooler than what I've got in mind.  And if that's the case, then hell yeah, I'll switch it around!


Not knowing the layout of the place could be an issue, but a minor one.
You have had time to do research.  Building plans are a matter of public record and can be accessed at the city planning office.  They might be available online, too, depending on how much of the records have been scanned and made accessible.   If you feel it's worth it, you could roll to create an Advantage.  I'd call it a +1 for whatever approach you want.
Narrator
 NPC, 56 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:41
Marcus:


Marcus:
The first floor is exactly what it presents itself as.   Saunas, meditation rooms, all very new-age oriented.  It redolant of the sixties, but in a cleaner, less chaotic form.  The entire place was done in sandy colors and pastels and had a light sea-salt atmosphere of calmness.

The area immediately across from the "Infrared Therapy" storefront on 43rd, held an open area, an informal "break room" type of place with a small table, a standard refrigerator, microwave, sink and countertop arrangement.   There was a door leading beyond that to another room with laundry services on one side and a restaurant-style refrigerator on the other.

The refrigerator was filled with all sorts of things.  Marcus could identify fenugreek, rutabaga, kale, wheatgrass, peppers, and various other leafy and root-tuber type vegetables.   The top-shelf had a series of small earthenware containers, no larger than five or six ounces each, with various colors of cloth secured with an elastic band across the top.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:43, Sat 12 May 2018.

Narrator
 NPC, 57 posts
Fri 11 May 2018
at 13:46
Mona
The stairs led to the second floor, which had another series of rooms, though these did seem much more intimate than the relaxation services offered by the rooms downstairs.  Nothing was particularly gaudy about it, but they did seem a little more intimate than a hotel room, for all that there were beds, dressers and, in the case of the farthest  south, a small kitchenette.

The hallway on the second floor also branched out into the building next door.  An anomaly, as
there was no such corresponding connection on the first floor.   There were three offices, only one of which looked like it had any regular use.   The computer was left on, the Windows-7 logo still aglow on the desktop.

So, where d'you wanna go? Office with the computer, follow the hallway into the other building or into the suite with a view?
Control
 GM, 373 posts
Sat 12 May 2018
at 12:42
Mona & marcus
And since we're inside now...

Here are some Aspects I suggest:

TWO BUILDINGS COMBINED
WELL, THIS IS A SPA
NEW AGE BUSINESS
and
ALL DARK, THE POWER'S OUT

Feel free to suggest others if you think they're appropriate.    I have no problem at all if they are very much to your advantages, so long as it suits the scene & location.

Mona
 Player, 98 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Wed 16 May 2018
at 01:45
Mona & marcus
Mona slipped quietly into the glow of the monitor, preparing to dig up whatever dirt she could from the system. While she was surprised the computer was still on with the power cut, it meant two things to her. first, she wouldn't have to go messing with breakers. Second, she had a new thing to follow: whatever was providing power to the computer wasn't connected to the system Nicole had hit, so there had to be another generator the system was connected to. Uncommon levels of data protection, or something more? She'd look into it either way.

But first, data hunting.

[Mona is scouring that computer for whatever information she can find, hopefully finding something related to the team's recent woes. What is proper procedure for that?]
Marcus
 Player, 106 posts
 2 Fate Points
Wed 16 May 2018
at 06:39
Mona & marcus
Resisting the urge to grab a snack as he searched Marcus considered the rooms he had come across so far with brief suspicion. There were many things all of this could be used for to aid likely Fomor motivations such as brainwashing people in meditation sessions, lacing the foodstuffs with certain toxins to keep the staff and patrons disoriented and unable to notice some of the oddities around them and the earthenware containers could contain some manner of hideous Fomor parasite.

The last thought gave him pause. Idly he hefted one of the containers down, considering the cloth across the top of it and lightly tapped the side of the thing, listening for any sounds of movement. Provided no nightmarish scrabbling sounds issued from it he planned to take a closer look at what was inside though he shielded his mouth and nose with one arm as he did so.
Control
 GM, 376 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 09:34
Mona:
I had envisioned it meaning that the Computer is plugged into an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply).  Typically, it'll give a computer between 10 minutes and an hour of uptime when the power-goes out.  Time enough to allow the user to back stuff up and save documents before it goes south. And, coincidentally, time enough for someone to try to hack it while sneaking around inside.

Mind you... that's an easy answer.  If you wish to roll to Create An Advantage to define this as something else, it could point to something different...  No obligation.  You're inside, so call it an Average(+1) target, you can pick the narratively appropriate Approach.


In the mean-time...  Computer Hacking.  Call it a roll.  I'd say it's going to need a Fair(+2) success to Overcome the system.  You can use whatever approach you think is narratively appropriate, but I suspect that's going to be Intellect or Focus.

You might also consider introducing a flashback to Create an Advantage.  Maybe Mona talked to someone who provided her with hacker tools on a thumbdrive...  Of course, you can also make that flashback after the initial hacking roll.

Narrator
 NPC, 58 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 09:43
Marcus:

Oh, some really neat ideas there...  (that's the stuff I'm hoping for!~  Ideas to help me move things along...)


The first container, under a yellow cloth lid, smelled like some sort of mix of swamp-water and spice. Possibly fenugreek and coriander and other vaguely Indian spices.  The second was a green cloth, and it smelled of rotten eggs.

He couldn't help it.  Even lifting the bottle away from him and wafting the scent towards him nearly made him wretch.

Ah, I might as well.  Call it a Mediocre Attack(+0) against Marcus' senses.  You may defend as you see fit.  I would also think that his homeless Aspect might be invoked because in his time, he's been exposed to a lot of nasty scents...

With a slight cough, Marcus held the bottle away from him and tried to keep his stomach from boiling up.

And then he heard the unmistakeable sound of something shifting against a wall.  It sounded like it was right behind the restaurant-style refrigerator where he'd been sampling the wares.   Of course, it could have been anything... air-conditioning equipment settling with the power disconnected, the building's timbers shifting, or even rats...
Narrator
 NPC, 60 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 10:48
Scene Aspects
Active Aspects:
TWO BUILDINGS COMBINED, WELL, THIS IS A SPA, NEW AGE BUSINESS, ALL DARK, THE POWER'S OUT (1 x free invoke)
Marcus
 Player, 109 posts
 2 Fate Points
Fri 18 May 2018
at 12:13
Scene Aspects
OC: Mostly it was The Tilting At Windmills aspect giving him those worries. That said use the paranoid musings all you want!

and a 2 on the Fudge roll, was going for a Focus approach for a +3 total


Coughing at the smell Marcus strove to hold onto his last meal as he quickly resealed the offending container and turned his head away. Somewhat exotic a choice for ingredients though that aroma made him loath to investigate further. As he turned his face aside he paused at the sudden sound. While part of him considered the more sensible choices first the rest of his mind was operating the principle that when infiltrating somewhere connected to the Fomor all suspicious noises should be treated like imminent signs of murderous fish people.

With that in mind, and having passed by a cooking area already, he turned and slowly left the room, keeping the fridge and then the door he existed by in his peripheral vision while he moved back to the cooking area to check for some spare stabbing or bludgeoning implements. Not that he completely lacked his own but if there was something there it might be lured after him.
Control
 GM, 380 posts
Fri 18 May 2018
at 14:13
Re: Scene Aspects
OC: Mostly it was The Tilting At Windmills aspect giving him those worries. That said use the paranoid musings all you want!

Good point, and nicely played.  Take a fate point for it.  You played it.
Control
 GM, 390 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2018
at 15:43
Mona
Mona is scouring that computer for whatever information she can find, hopefully finding something related to the team's recent woes. What is proper procedure for that?

Typically, this would be a Contest or challenge of some sort, but I'm not seeing a lot of drama in hacking a computer at this stage of the story.  So...   This computer is pretty strongly tied in to the City Sweats business. 

  • There is a Quickbooks directory with, presumably, financial details.  But it's password protected.  Call it a Fair(+2) target roll.
  • There is all sorts of photographs of the building, organized by year, and covering the apparent gutting of and rebuilding of the facility from the ground up, three years before.  There's also a whole bunch of marketing photos of and photos of all sorts of people, many holding colorful drinks that look like smoothies.
  • There is a directory of electronic books, mostly dealing with marketing and ayurvedic medicine.
  • There is a rather large directory of rather adult images, seeming to focus on muscular men in the water or in a fire-station.
  • There is the standard browser directory and email (an outdated copy of Eudora Pro) application...


What kind of information is Mona looking for?


--
(TWO BUILDINGS COMBINED), (WELL, THIS IS A SPA), (NEW AGE BUSINESS), (ALL DARK, THE POWER'S OUT (1 x free invoke))

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:49, Mon 04 June 2018.

Narrator
 NPC, 64 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2018
at 15:49
Re: Scene Aspects
The kitchenette is pretty bare.  But in the usual place--the top drawer--there are various utensils, including a couple of sharp knives.  They looked like standard cutlery one might purchase at a Walmart or a thrift-store.

There were no further sounds from the pantry...
Control
 GM, 392 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2018
at 15:49
Marcus

So, you can arm yourself with a carving knife.  Or if you prefer to look for something else... feel free to make something up.  If you want to Aspect it, roll for it.  If you don't care to Aspect it, you'll be limited to your chosen Approach for Attack and damage.    In the long-run it's probably better to Aspect it, even if you don't use it.  Since this isn't a make-or-break, consider it a Mediocre(+0) roll to Create an Advantage I HAVE A CARVING KNIFE!


--
(TWO BUILDINGS COMBINED), (WELL, THIS IS A SPA), (NEW AGE BUSINESS), (ALL DARK, THE POWER'S OUT (1 x free invoke))
Mona
 Player, 102 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Wed 6 Jun 2018
at 21:57
Re: Mona
Control:
Typically, this would be a Contest or challenge of some sort, but I'm not seeing a lot of drama in hacking a computer at this stage of the story.  So...   This computer is pretty strongly tied in to the City Sweats business. 

  • There is a Quickbooks directory with, presumably, financial details.  But it's password protected.  Call it a Fair(+2) target roll.
  • There is all sorts of photographs of the building, organized by year, and covering the apparent gutting of and rebuilding of the facility from the ground up, three years before.  There's also a whole bunch of marketing photos of and photos of all sorts of people, many holding colorful drinks that look like smoothies.
  • There is a directory of electronic books, mostly dealing with marketing and ayurvedic medicine.
  • There is a rather large directory of rather adult images, seeming to focus on muscular men in the water or in a fire-station.
  • There is the standard browser directory and email (an outdated copy of Eudora Pro) application...


What kind of information is Mona looking for?


--
(TWO BUILDINGS COMBINED), (WELL, THIS IS A SPA), (NEW AGE BUSINESS), (ALL DARK, THE POWER'S OUT (1 x free invoke))


Mona's face develops a lopsided smile in the glow of the screen, and she starts navigating to that financial database. Maybe she can make a copy of the data for the others to sort through later. She'll just have to get through that encryption first...

[Going for Quikbooks! Gonna make a Guile roll to try and slip past the password protection.

14:56, Today: Mona rolled 1 using 4 Fudge dice with rolls of 1, 0, 1, -1.  Guile Overcome +3.

Total of +4! Success! I'll keep it at that. No sense spending Fate Points just yet. Might need 'em.]

Narrator
 NPC, 65 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 00:54
Re: Mona
Okay.  Quickbooks it is.

Mona copied the database to a thumb-drive, then just to see if it would be so simple, she tried entering a few passwords.

Most people  didn't protect their data sufficiently well.  The Quickbooks password wasn't "password" or any variation of "12345678".

A quick glance around her surroundings showed a handful of photos.  Usually people smiling in the office or on a beach somewhere.  But there were three photos with a woman with dark hair and an orange and white tabby cat.  One of them appeared to be a print-out from a social media platform with the cat's collar clearly visible--a rhinestone encrusted pink monstrosity with the word "Tigger" in big bold letters.

Of course, the password was "Tigger".

The database was pretty solid.  Whatever else the accountant was, she was meticulous with the records.  Everything from inventory ins and outs to daily appointment costs--including suite rental for Kildaaw and Rosencrantz date two weeks prior.

So... what else do you want?

--
I recently read a book "Anatomy of a Fraud Investigation" (yeah, I know... reading nonfiction for pleasure?).  It gave a high-level overview of dealing with Quickbooks passwords and third-party cracking tools.  So saving the database even without cracking it right away is definitely a prudent move.   However, you succeeded, so the password was accessible...

Kildaaw and Rosencrantz - Because it's RPOL, and it's been a while... Martin Kildaaw is Black Cod's lawyer.  Nathan Rosencrantz is Willa's friend who was chair of the Rosencrantz Imports business...

Marcus
 Player, 111 posts
 2 Fate Points
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 07:25
Re: Mona
OC: Roll of 0 using Haste so +2 total.

Plucking a pair of knives from the drawer Marcus pocketed one before ambling back to the pantry again. At this point he was still fifty/fifty on the notion that it was nothing more than a rat but images of proto fomor creatures slithering through the pipes kept coming to him. So rather than run that risk he instead headed for the fridge again. From a safe distance he checked the top first before moving closer to get an angle to see behind it, a knife held low in front of him in anticipation of a sudden rush.
Narrator
 NPC, 66 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 19:06
Marcus
From the top, it was clear that there appeared to be a hole in the wall behind the refrigerator.   It was rough-hewn--meaning that it wasn't constructed.  Rather, it looked like someone had taken a sledge-hammer to the wall, then covered it up with the commercial kitchen refrigerator.

There was definitely something moving in there.  It wasn't moving fast, but very now and again, Marcus could hear a slithering sound, like fabric on fabric or flesh on flesh. dirt ground beneath moving bodies.  And, if he listened very hard, there was the faint sound of breathing.  Though, every now and again, it stopped--as if someone was trying to hold their breath and repeatedly failing.

--
OOC: Okay.  4dF(+0) + Haste(+2) == Fair(+2) vs Mediocre(+0).  Success.  You now have an Aspect referring to the knives.  I suggested NOW I HAVE A CARVING KNIFE!, but we can go with anything you like for it...  Also, because it was rolled for, and it was a success, you get one free tag on that Aspect sometime during this scene.
Mona
 Player, 103 posts
 Fate Points: 3
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 22:02
Re: Mona
In reply to Narrator (msg # 22):

[Thanks for the refresher, I absolutely knew those names should be familiar but couldn't for the life of me remember why. Also, I had no idea you could save a database without unlocking it first. That's gonna be very handy for Mona in the future.]

Once that was done, Mona put the database back the way she found it (opening by default to the right page, going into computer logs and removing evidence of the database copy, all that). Next was the emails, rooting around for anything to do with that suite rental or Kildaaw and Rosencrantz.
Marcus
 Player, 112 posts
 2 Fate Points
Sun 10 Jun 2018
at 17:44
Re: Mona
OC: Quick check, enough room to get on top of the frige and look through the hole? Or am I looking at having to move this thing?
Control
 GM, 403 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2018
at 00:30
Re: Mona
I've been envisioning something like this:
( https://www.awrconew.com/Turbo...lass-Door_p_201.html )

It's about 6.5 feet tall.  Average  storey size is about 8.5 to 9 feet... so, there's about three feet clearance between the top of the unit and the ceiling.

Marcus
 Player, 113 posts
 2 Fate Points
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 12:38
Re: Mona
Ta

Boosting up on one of the counter tops near the fridge Marcus resisted the urge to grumble as he did so since it might alert whatever was lurking beyond the fridge, instead just thanking that the mantle meant he was not trying to do this sort of movement with the aches and pains his body should have. From there he moved to approach the lift top, hoping to get flat across the top and get an angle to actually see at the hidden hole.