The Triple J.   Posted by The Hangin' Judge.Group: 0
The Hangin' Judge
 GM, 1 post
 The dice don't lie
 Roll well or die
Thu 23 Mar 2017
at 22:16
The Triple J
The Triple J is a modest ranch by some folks' standards, but is one of the larger in the Promise City area, running 5,000 head. The close proximity to the railhead helps run an efficient and profitable business, but rusting is a recurring problem.

The ranch consists of three ranch homes, a pair of bunkhouses, a corral and dozens of line shacks across the Triple J range.
The Hangin' Judge
 GM, 4 posts
 The dice don't lie
 Roll well or die
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 02:09
The Triple J
OOC: Player characters can assume they know one another, unless the player states otherwise when he introduces his character. In general, since you're all attatched to the ranch and one or more of the three owners, you can assume you either already know one another or soon enough will.
Nemo Jones
 player, 1 post
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 22:56
The Triple J
His journey here had been extensive, first the stagecoach trip to Promise City then his buggy ride to the Ranch. Passing through the rickety gate bearing the triple Jay Nemo jostled the reigns urging the horse to pickup the pace a little. Following the trail to the main building where he reigned the horse in stepped out of the Buggy and tethered it to the hitching post. Looking around at the buildings with a speculative eye.
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 6 posts
 Ranch Hand
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 02:06
The Triple J
Johnny raised the brim of his hat a bit, peering at the newcomer who had just pulled in, driving a buggy. The man stepped out and looked around.

Johnny was sitting in front of one of the bunkhouses, taking his ease in a chair that was tilted back on two legs, leaning back against the wall of the building.

He spoke to Will, who was one of his fellow ranch-hands. "Looks like we got us a big bug*, drivin' hisself up in a buggy. Know him?"


OOC: *Big shot.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:07, Sat 25 Mar 2017.

Will Clayton
 player, 3 posts
 Ranch hand
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 02:27
The Triple J
Will cocked his head and squinted a little, peering out at the new arrival.  "Can't say as I do," he shook his head.  "Looks a might too fancy for the company I keep," he chuckled.  Probably some rich fella from back East come to see about buying some horses, Will figured.

"S'pose I oughta say howdy to the fella, anyway," he said, rising from his own chair and dusting his shirt off a little.  "Wanna tag along, or you just gonna mind your business here?"

Either way, Will ambled over to the man beside the buggy and smiled.  "Howdy, fella.  Can I help you with somethin'?"
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 7 posts
 Ranch Hand
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 02:36
The Triple J
"Aw, hell," Johnny replied to his pard, "reckon I'll tag along with you."

He stepped up out of his chair, and stood over to the side as Will addressed the newcomer.
Nemo Jones
 player, 3 posts
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 03:32
The Triple J
Nemo turned at the sound of conversation noticing the two men sat in chairs which rested alongside one of the buildings. Gooday to you Messers, I'm Captain Jones, and have an opportunity to visit the Tripple J.
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 8 posts
 Ranch Hand
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 12:42
The Triple J
In reply to Nemo Jones (msg # 7):

"Howdy, Captain," Johnny replied, nodding a greeting to the newcomer. He had pursed his lips thoughtfully upon hearing the man's somewhat odd (at least to the Virginian's ears) turn of phrase, but now he was wearing his best poker face.

"I'm Mister Holcombe, an' this here's Mister Clayton," Johnny said, nodding his head at Will and matching the stranger's formality tit for tat.

"We both work here. Was thaere anyone in par-ticular who you wanted to speak to?"
Will Clayton
 player, 4 posts
 Ranch hand
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 12:48
The Triple J
"Lookin' to buy some cattle, maybe start your own herd hereabouts?" Will prompted curiously, chiming in after Johnny.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 12:49, Sat 25 Mar 2017.

Nemo Jones
 player, 4 posts
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 22:00
The Triple J
ooc waiting for a reply to pm from GM

"Messers Clayton, Holcombe. Nemo replied using a technique he had acquired to recall names, addingYes and no. That is I've come to visit Zeke, who's a far greater interest in livestock than I, save for the eating of some. he clarified.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:34, Mon 27 Mar 2017.

Franklin Jefferson Adams
 player, 2 posts
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 19:36
The Triple J
   The heavily laden freight wagon from Promise City made it's way to the Triple J Ranch.  One of the two men on the wagon was the freighter.  The other was exchanging some labor for a ride to the largest spread in the area hoping for gainful employment.  Frank Adams looked around as the wagon rolled toward the ranch house.  He had his worldly possessions behind him and his future before him.

   Frank checked the Navy Colt to make sure that it was still snug in his holster after all of the wagon's bouncing during the trip.  He commented, "Busy place.  Heard they were hiring."
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 14 posts
 Ranch Hand
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 22:44
The Triple J
Johnny replied to Captain Jones, "Zeke oughtta be around somewhaere. I'll see if I can find him, an' let him know that you're here to see him." he motioned towards the nearest ranch house and added, "Feel free to step inside whaere's thaere's some shade whilst you're a-waitin', if your'e so inclined."

When the heavy freight wagon rolled into area near the ranch houses with two men sitting up front, Johnny remarked to Will, "If I find Zeke, I'll let him know know that the supplies that him an' Billy an' Johnny ordered are here, too."

OOC: I read Frank's comments to be directed to the wagon-driver, so I did not have Johnny reply to him. :)
Matt Durand
 player, 2 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 00:36
The Triple J
Matt was about 300 yards behind the freight wagon slowly making his way with the two tired older horses pulling the customized Conestoga wagon along.

Once he was closer anyone could see some smoke coming from a chimney from the wagon, then some tantalizing smells of fresh apple pie and bear sign. Only growing stronger the closer the wagon got. The young driver looked to be about 18 or so, wearing trousers and a shirt, a riverboat gambler style of hat, a holster with revolver for a left handed draw and some eastern style leather shoes.

Maneuvering his wagon to approach the now forming group without crowding any of the others. "Excuse me, This is the Triple J correct? I am looking for Billy Jackson, he sent for me."
Will Clayton
 player, 5 posts
 Ranch hand
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 02:21
The Triple J
Will nodded.  "Best if you bring more 'n one of 'em along," he suggested to Johnny.  "Looks like we got a whole passel of folks comin' for a visit."

"Cap'n, your welcome to stay here or rest a spell at the bunkhouse, just like Mr. Holcome said.  If you'll excuse me, I'd better look after these other wagons."

Will met the freight wagon as it rolled in, gently grabbing the bridle of one of the horses and giving it an affectionate scratch behind the an ear.  "Howdy, boys.  This here the supplies the J's ordered?  One of t'others just went to fetch 'em, but if you take the wagon 'round there," he pointed to where the supplies could be unloaded, "you can get started pulling down the boxes."  With a light double-slap on the rump of the horse, Will left the drovers to their work and latched his attention onto the second wagon coming down the lane.

Will met that one much as he had the first, with a smile and a steadying hand on one of the horses.  "Hey there, fella.  This here's the Triple J all right.  We're a little busier 'n usual right now," he chuckled, in reference to the small logjam of carriages and wagons in the yard, "but I 'spect Mr. Jackson will be along shortly for some of the other arrivals."  He looked Matt up and down, or at least as best he could with him seated in the wagon.  "Who should I say's come callin' for him?"
Matt Durand
 player, 3 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 02:57
The Triple J
"I am Matt Durand, please to meet you.." he then reaches inside the wagon with his left hand and when it comes back into sight it is holding a fresh Bear sign. Which he quickly takes a bite of, "Ah forgive me where are my manners, would you care for one?"
Nemo Jones
 player, 6 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 04:39
The Triple J
Thanking the ranchands Nemo steered the buggy over to the House disembarking and tethering the horse to a hitching post. Stepping onto the verandah he tapped on the entry with a gloved hand.
Will Clayton
 player, 6 posts
 Ranch hand
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 00:36
The Triple J
"Pleasure's mine, Mr. Durand.  I'm Will Clayton of the Triple J.  Like I said, with all this commotion the bosses oughta be here any minute."

At the offer of the bear sign, Will licked his lips and smiled.  "That's mighty friendly of you, Mr. Durand.  Don't mind if I do," he accepted, reaching out a hand to take the offered treat.
Franklin Jefferson Adams
 player, 3 posts
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 03:05
The Triple J
   Frank took his saddle and the rest of his belongings from the back of the freight wagon.  He dropped them along a fence near the corral.  There was a lot of commotion going on.  Adams watched the people milling around to see if he could spot the ramrod or foreman or whatever they called him around here.
Nemo Jones
 player, 7 posts
Wed 29 Mar 2017
at 23:12
The Triple J
Nemo stepped away from the building unhitched the buggy and climbed aboard. With a flich of the reigns he manoeuvered it alongside the other waggons giving the hands who were there a friendly nod asking them to let his brother know that he was staying at the Main Street Boarding House; after recieving an acknowledgement he headed back to the City.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:41, Thu 06 Apr 2017.

Joshua Priestly
 player, 3 posts
 Bounty Hunter
Tue 4 Apr 2017
at 03:08
The Triple J
A lone figure headed towards the Triple J, lean from being on the road for days, Joshua scanned the horizon in the hopes of finding the place. "Excuse me, is this the Triple J? I am looking for Brian, Brian Smith." he asked.
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 16 posts
 Ranch Hand
Tue 4 Apr 2017
at 20:25
The Triple J
In reply to Joshua Priestly (msg # 20):

Johnny had turned to see if he could go and find Zeke Jones when a whole passel of people showed up, although they did not seem to know one another.

"Shit-fire, somebody put out the word 'bout free drinks bein' served hereabouts whilst my back was turned?" he muttered quietly under his breath to Will.

Deciding to put off finding Zeke for the moment, seeing as how Captain Jones had left for Promise City before speaking to him, Johnny walked over to the latest arrival.

"Yep, this here's the Triple-J," he replied to the man with a nod.

"An' yeah, Sarge is 'round here somewhaere. I'll see if I can find him for you. You're welcome to wait over yonder on the porch, whaere thaere's some shade to be had."

"Can I tell him who's askin' after him?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:52, Tue 04 Apr 2017.

Joshua Priestly
 player, 4 posts
 Bounty Hunter
Wed 5 Apr 2017
at 02:21
The Triple J
"Yes, Please tell him that the guy he saved at Vicksburg is here.
Johnny Holcombe
 player, 17 posts
 Ranch Hand
Wed 5 Apr 2017
at 04:09
The Triple J
In reply to Joshua Priestly (msg # 22):

"Will do," Johnny replied as he turned to go in search of the ranch foreman.

He knew that Smith had served in the Union army during the war, so that made it easy enough to figure out which side this newcomer had fought on.