(IC) In Search of a Good Time.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 85 posts
Tue 2 May 2017
at 04:42
In Search of a Good Time
"Al-rrs!" laughs the gnoll. "Name of you is Al-rrs! Word for sssshit! Ha!" The gnoll's laughter makes him barely able to fit a twisted arrow to his bow. The arrow whistles past the architect and out into the breeze among the towers, but it makes an impression, especially with the two hobgoblins inside the cart hounding Albers from below.

Speaking of whom: a hatch pops open on the top of the cart and two hobgoblins deploy in a clean dispersal pattern, smooth and by the numbers. Beautiful, if one isn't on the receiving end of it. Their swords are out and they employ them, but manage only to slice off a few inches of decorative braid from one lapel.

The one who had been on the ground, springs up the stone pile, and corners Tham on the roof of the cart.

There are some screams from inside the cart before the hatch slams shut again.

Gnoll:
Move: Stand from prone.
Standard: 20:56, Today: Gnoll rolled 19 using 1d20+9.  Longbow vs. AC of Albers. Hit.
20:57, Today: Palimpsest rolled 10 using 1d10+9.  Longbow damage (with pack attack).

Hobgoblins 3 and 4:
Move: Up through the hatch onto the roof of the cart.
Minor: Draw swords.
Standard:
2x Longsword vs. AC of Albers.
21:10, Today: Hobgoblins 3 and 4 rolled 15,16 using 1d20+7,1d20+7. Two misses.

Hobgoblin (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP):
1) Divine sanction. On stone pile engaged with Tham. Tham has no room to shift.
3) Divine sanction. On cart, engaged with Albers. 20 AC.
4) Divine sanction. On cart, engaged with Albers. 20 AC.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 38/50): Divine sanction. On ground at rear of cart.
Albers (19/16/13/17, 40/49): On top of cart, adjacent to Tham.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart, adjacent to Albers.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 27 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Tue 2 May 2017
at 11:53
In Search of a Good Time
The wagon lurches slightly as hobgoblins stream out, and Albers takes advantage. ‘Go with the motion Tham – jump in the air when I yell’. Calculating the fulcrum of the wagon and the formula for the conservation of angular momentum, Albers takes a step back, leans on one side, then runs forward and leaps into the air, landing next to the gnoll (and taking a gash in his left thigh from a hobo for his trouble). The wagon see-saws one direction, then the other. As Tham moves with the wagon, the hobos around him lose their balance.

Albers lands with a crash (once again) and reminds himself never again to try any athletical heroics (taking a -2 to atks eont and optionally grant CA eont for rolling under 13). The gnoll probably thinks these heros are total idiots. Nevertheless, Albers manages to stab it with his sabre (10 dmg to gnoll)

Tham, anyone who tries to attack you this round will be unbalanced and fall over by the wagon (killed by divine sanction), so feel free to grant OAs by range firing in melee etc.

Leap off wagon (I rolled a 12 athletics; taking a -2 to my attack to reflect rolling under 13, maybe also grant CA eont). Grant 2 OAs from hobos, 1 hit 1 miss, take 5 dmg.
Valorous Smite vs gnoll, hit AC28, 10 dmg to gnoll & all enemies within 3 (everyone?) marked, and they take 7 dmg if they attack Tham.


quote:
Hobgoblin (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP):
1) Divine sanction. On stone pile engaged with Tham. Tham has no room to shift.
3) Divine sanction. On cart. 20 AC.
4) Divine sanction. On cart. 20 AC.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 28/50): Divine sanction. On ground at rear of cart, engaged with Albers.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 44/49): On ground at rear of cart, engaged with gnoll.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:10, Tue 02 May 2017.

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 40 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Wed 3 May 2017
at 02:50
In Search of a Good Time
Though he was cornered Tham tries to keep a brace face and attack the greater threat while still hitting a few of the others summoning a burst of fire directed at the gnoll but missing and erupting to catch an unsuspecting hobgoblin killing it.

OOC: posting from my phone. Will update combat stats tomorrow am. Sorry.
22:44, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 23 using 1d20+10.  Blazing starfall hobgoblin adjacent to gnoll (if any).
22:44, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 12 using 1d20+10.  Blazing starfall gnoll.

GM
 GM, 88 posts
Wed 3 May 2017
at 03:44
In Search of a Good Time
Each of the hobgoblins, apparently believing they have better footing than they do, chop at Tham as he casts. The tipping of the cart, the impetuousness of Albers's jump, and residual energy from Tham's spell combines to knock them all to the ground and out of the fight, but not before he learns more than he'd like about hobgoblin swords.

But there are more: there's apparently a living space below the floor of the unbuilt tower, and four more grunts pull themselves up. Two get to the poles of the wagon and get ready to pull it. The other two pop up and move toward Albers. One charges in, but can't seem to find a vital spot among Albers's multiple garments. The other moves up in support.

The gnoll hops back and drills another arrow toward Albers. It bites into Albers's side, but luckily he's wearing the trousers that his dwarf tailor had made for him, with the double stitch that he'd put in for free because he likes Albers so much. That's some strong stitch, that double stitch.

The gnoll hisses something in Abyssal. Rude, it goes without saying.

Hobgoblins 1, 3, 4:
Opportunity action: Longsword vs. AC of Tham.
20:02, Today: GM, for the NPC Hobgoblins 1, 3, 4, rolled 17,14,22 using 1d20+7,1d20+7,1d20+7 ((10,7,15)).
3 hits, 15 damage.
Divine sanction kills all three.

Hobgoblins 5, 6:
Move: Climb up to floor.
Move: Move to cart poles at front of cart.

Hobgoblin 7:
Move: Climb up to floor.
Standard: 20:27, Today: GM, for the NPC Hobgoblin 7, rolled 15 using 1d20+10.  Charge to flanking with longsword vs. AC of Albers. Miss.

Hobgoblin 8:
Move: Climb up to floor.
Move: Move next to hobgoblin 7 and Albers.

Gnoll:
Move: Shift 1.
Standard: 20:30, Today: GM, for the NPC Gnoll, rolled 21 using 1d20+10.  Longbow vs. AC of Albers. Miss.

Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 28/50): Divine sanction. On ground at rear of cart, 1 from Albers.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
7, 8: Adjacent to Albers, between him and cart. 20 AC.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 44/49): On ground at rear of cart, near gnoll, between gnoll and cart.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): On top of cart.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 30 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Wed 3 May 2017
at 09:49
In Search of a Good Time
As the arrow wedges itself in his groin, Albers thanks the heavens for the flexible metal trouser innerframe his dwarven tailor manufactured – which not only provides much needed protection, but also ‘enhances’ that which nature had already so generously endowed.

Albers presses the attack against the gnoll, hoping that Tham will be able to deal with the minions who were undoubtedly up to no good.

‘Take that, you criminal scumbag’ he declares loudly, ‘And that – and that! Aha!’ Finally in his stride, Albers’s footwork is perfect and the gnoll ha sno chance to respond (14 dmg; -2 to gnoll’s atks; marked, and can’t see albers eont).

Shift 1
Standard: Enfeebling Strike with Mocking Smite on Gnoll, hit AC 28, 10 dmg + 4 rad/psy dmg & -2 to atks eont & Albers is invisible to gnoll eont.
Minor: Divine Challenge on Gnoll
quote:
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 14/50): Divine challenge; can’t see Albers; -2 to atks eont. On ground at rear of cart, adj Albers.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
7, 8: Adjacent to Albers, between him and cart. 20 AC.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 44/49): On ground at rear of cart, near gnoll, between gnoll and cart.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): On top of cart.

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 41 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Thu 4 May 2017
at 01:54
In Search of a Good Time
Tham takes solace that he's alone on top of the wagon and wants to lick his wounds but knows he needs to set things up for the next round of attacks. Thinking he'd really like to put some space between himself and that Gnoll so he lashes out with the Lightning strike he was so used to casting, but his balance was off from the slashes he'd received at the hands of the hobgoblin and it flew wide of its target.

OOC: 21:51, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 11 using 1d20+10.  Lightning Strike to hit Gnoll.

Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 14/50): Divine challenge; can’t see Albers; -2 to atks eont. On ground at rear of cart, adj Albers.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
7, 8: Adjacent to Albers, between him and cart. 20 AC.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 44/49): On ground at rear of cart, near gnoll, between gnoll and cart.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): On top of cart.
GM
 GM, 89 posts
Thu 4 May 2017
at 17:41
In Search of a Good Time
The gnoll emits a low growl, edges away, and takes up a defensive posture. This makes room for his associates to circle around. Albers notices that the hobgoblins are rather nattily dressed, in doublets and trousers reinforced in a way similar to Albers's own, but with more of an eye toward practicality and somewhat less toward fashion. That's about all the critical eye he can spare as the grunts catch him in a pinion and attack! Albers hears a disheartening and expensive-sounding tearing noise.

One of the hobgoblins pulling the cart gives it a nasty jerk. The captives inside make a lot of sad noises. Tham is jerked off his feet, but manages to avoid flying off the roof of the wagon. Then the hobgoblins start rolling the cart, moving it to the opening in the parent tower

Gnoll:
Move: Shift 1 back from Albers.
Standard: Total defense.

Hobgoblin 7:
Move: Move around to front of Albers, avoiding opportunity attack, between him and gnoll.
Ready action.

Hobgoblin 8:
Move: Shift 1 adjacent to Albers, flanking with 7.

Hobgoblin 7 and 8:
Standard: 10:15, Today: GM, for the NPC Hobgoblins 7 and 8, rolled 18,23 using 1d20+9,1d20+9.  2x Longsword (with combat advantage) vs. AC of Albers. One hit from 8, 5 damage.

Hobgoblin 5:
Standard: 10:30, Today: GM, for the NPC Hobgoblin 5, rolled 21 using 1d20+3.  "Bull rush" vs. Fortitude of Tham. Hit. Tham "pushed" 1.
10:33, Today: GM, on behalf of Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh), rolled 10 using 1d20.  Save to avoid fall. Success.

Cart: At opening to parent tower, about one move from Albers.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14 (21/18/19/16), +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 14/50): Divine challenge; can’t see Albers; -2 to atks eont. On ground at rear of cart, 1 away from Albers. +2 to all defenses.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
7: Adjacent to Albers, flanking with 8. between Albers and gnoll. Albers can still shift to reach gnoll.
8: Adjacent to Albers, flanking with 7.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 39/49): On ground at rear of cart, near gnoll, flanked by 7 and 8.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): Prone on top of cart.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 45 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Fri 5 May 2017
at 16:53
In Search of a Good Time
Tham realizes that this is not the ideal perch but he sees an opening he can't afford to miss. Crying out, "Albers, Duck!" Tham shoots a tiny bead of fire out of his dagger that explodes into a ring of fire when it smacks into the Gnoll that had backed away from Albers.

The Gnoll writhes in the flames and is clearly now dying. The flames spread out and kill the hobgoblin that had put itself between the Gnoll and Albers and threaten to do the same to the hobgoblin flanking Albers as well.

He hoped Albers appreciated the mess he'd started and Tham was now cleaning up, at least enough to keep the ones now rocking the cart from fully tipping it over.

OOC:
Move: Stand up
Free action: Call out to Albers
Standard: Explosive Pyre that kills the Gnoll and Hobgoblin 7 :)
12:46, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 15 using 2d8+7.  Damage for Gnoll.
12:45, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 21 using 1d20+10.  Explosive Pyre on Gnoll.


Cart: At opening to parent tower, about one move from Albers.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14 (21/18/19/16), +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3 dmg, 14/50): Dead.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
7: Dead.
8: Adjacent to Albers.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 39/49): On ground at rear of cart, adjacent to 8.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): Standing on top of cart.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 32 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Sun 7 May 2017
at 20:09
In Search of a Good Time
Albers grins as he ducks, and feels the familiar warm glow of Tham incinerating enemies. He duels with the hobgoblin at his end playfully, doing fancy footwork but nothing overly useful.

He knocks on the wagon as he dances. ‘Hey there miss. Do you require rescuing? If muffled, knock once for yes or two for no.’ He sounds heroic, but really he's wondering if its okay to ask her for an age and hot-meter in the current situation before they open the door. If she's really foxy they should rescue her while in the middle of the melee, for maximum impact.

'What do you think?' he whispers across to Tham, using hand signals to explain the dilemma.

Ardent strike vs Hobo , miss, marked with Divine Sanction, step away from Hobo 8.
quote:
Cart: At opening to parent tower, about one move from Albers.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg, 1 HP)
5, 6: At cart poles, far side of cart from Albers's melee. 20 AC.
8: 1 away from Albers.
Albers (23/16/15/17, 39/49): On ground at rear of cart, 1 away from 8.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 26/41): Standing on top of cart.

GM
 GM, 98 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 18:47
In Search of a Good Time
As the gnoll falls, the hobgoblins quickly reasses the tactical situation. The two at the cart pull it forward, but aimed at the side of the opening, rather than straight through it. They release it, ducking around the poles, and escape into the larger tower, leaving the cart to run into the wall at a decent clip, denting it badly and causing one wheel to shatter.

Albers's remaining opponent heads the other way, dodging among the building material to the far edge of the platform. A mechanical noise indicates that he's found a crane or some sort of lifting platform to ride down to some lower levels.

The gnoll and the other five hobgoblins lie still. Are they all dead?

The cart itself can be opened in a matter of a few moments. Inside is a half dozen assorted citizens of Sharn:

A dwarven workman who had come to find out whose project this was.
A not-unattractive human woman and her child, who had been travelling to a Jorasco health center.
A human foodcart vendor, who had become lost on his way home.
Two others who are either non-descript, connected with one of the aforementioned, or something you choose (one each, if you want).

They are all grateful for their rescue. The Daask gangers had not been circumspect about how they were going to feed their captives to their masters. One of them mentions some personal valuables that were taken from them by one of the grunts into the under-level of this platform. If you take them down there to find their goods, you also find the gangster's minor stash and medical kit: 40 gp, a suture needle, some gut, reasonably clean bandages, and a potion of healing.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 36 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 8 May 2017
at 19:28
In Search of a Good Time
The lack of glamorous women to rescue and bring to the next party shattered Albers, but he quickly recovered.

‘Don’t tell me’ – to the dwarf workman – ‘Boris Steiner – I knew it was him when I saw that cantilevered tower. Dramatic, dangerous, expensive, and totally pointless.  He’s doing all the Daask work now, is he. Sell out! Good thing he’s going to be at Betsy’s party later – I’ll give him a piece of my mind!’

Albers distributes the treasure and stash among the captives. ‘Tell all the good-looking women that you know that Tham and Albers – the Fabulous Duo as we call ourselves – rescued you from overwhelming odds and then gave you all the treasure’. With Albers when its the right thing its invariably for the wrong reason.

To Tham: ‘You look pretty beat up, buddy. Gotta clean you up before the party’. Albers helps with his lapel and hair. ‘Look, I get that you think this was probably a waste of time, but it wasn’t. These Daask construction sites are the foundations of a project to make them respectable. Anything we do to fuck that up is good. Just like you understand the ways of arcane energy – how it weaves everywhere and can be tapped if you know where to look; well in sharn architecture is the same. The city is one big building and a thousand tiny buildings, each part establishing who’s the boss and who’s the underling. If Daask get away with these new towers, they will become part of the established powers of Sharn. And everyone will suffer. We need to go deal with Boris.’

Lay on hands on Tham – architectural inspiration for a HS+3 hp.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:29, Mon 08 May 2017.

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 52 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Mon 8 May 2017
at 19:47
In Search of a Good Time
Tham had been a little woozy after the fight. He started to blame it on the chain-link swing but then realized that wasn't very believable and shut his mouth and let Albers do the talking. Albers was really good at talking. Then again so was Tham but he found himself listening a lot more and talking a lot less whenever Albers was around and somehow that sat well with him. He could save his words for when he finally wrangled a pretty little thing away from the party and then charm her on his own to no end...

"Thanks Albers, and believe it or not, I do know a bit about architecture and its influence on society," he adds with a grin and a wink.

"I wouldn't look so rough if instead of hitting those guys after they'd hit me, you did it before, but the good news is we survived, even though we probably shouldn't have after I bungled that chain swing. Maybe we shouldn't be so fabulous after we've started drinking or we should stop drinking so we can be fabulous. Neither of those sound like good options though, so I guess we should maybe practice while we're drinking so we can play well even when we're drinking, but then what happens if we encounter some bad guys when we haven't had a drink. Oh man, this is really giving me a headache."

He then said, "Now, you said Boris is at Betsy's. Then I say we should be at Betsy's finding Boris. He owes me a new shirt." He holds up his torn sleeve, "Or at least a trip to the seamstress."

OOC: If it's possible, try to read that big blue paragraph as one giant stream of consciousness outburst :)
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 39 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 8 May 2017
at 19:55
In Search of a Good Time
Albers grin at Tham and hands him the flask for a top up. 'To the next adventure!'
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 53 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Mon 8 May 2017
at 19:58
In Search of a Good Time
Tham takes a swig and answers, "And beyond!"
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 42 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 8 May 2017
at 20:38
In Search of a Good Time
On route, Albers reminds Tham about why he so wants to attend Betsy’s: there’s a stunning blonde who was close to Crissoff d'Orien (refer Character Backgrounds and Interconnections). She knows where he is, or at least has clue to how to follow him. Much adventure lies this way.

Albers doesn’t know Betsy, but Tham does. ‘Tham, can she actually be as frigid as you say?’ he asks. ‘You call her the “ice queen”, but is it really possible for the most beautiful woman in the district to be completely impervious to any attempt at friendship or seduction? What’s her problem do you think? Surely that really horrible idea you were talking about yesterday can’t be actually true! What house was she again?’

Albers is fascinated.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 55 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Wed 10 May 2017
at 01:09
In Search of a Good Time
Tham smiled at the protests from Albers and said, "Ah, I knew we would get back to this topic. You just can't resist. Betsy d'Vadalis is the coldest of the cold. She could freeze out a brothel with her demeanor. But it's not her fault, per se. She sees rutting as just that. An act of procreation and though she is all for the renewal of the heirs to the house lineage, she doesn't want to have to bear a child herself. She's seen enough of childbirth, childrearing and the like to firmly decide that no matter what temporary pleasure might be gained by a momentary lapse in judgment, it would never be worth the torment of its consequences. And that my friend is a direct quote. "The torment of its consequences." Ice. Queen."
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 43 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Wed 10 May 2017
at 07:25
In Search of a Good Time
'Everytime she hosts a party, invites all the movers and shakers and shows everyone how a childless life might be fulfilling (in a frosty way), the Great Houses shudder.' Albers imagines the Houses as gigantic invisible beings in his mind, looking down at Betsy with horror, and it gives him a frisson of revolutionary delight. 'She must be worried that one of these days they'll see her as a threat and do something about her'.

Tham points ahead and Albers gazes, impressed. Betsy's magnificent villa, in a very old and slightly shabby area, is illuminated with thousands of magical candles for the party, propped on every exterior surface all the way up to the roof. Carriages stop outside and well-dressed guests are climbing up the stone steps, past a small crowd of gossip-rag journalist, fashionistas and celebrity vultures.

Albers ensures his hat is cocked at just the right angle and that he didn't get any blood on his sleeves.
GM
 GM, 105 posts
Wed 10 May 2017
at 19:17
In Search of a Good Time
The gala scene breaks upon you like a wave of light and sound as you exit a final tunnel. Before this, though, there had been signs that you were getting close: small crews of rats, supervised by watchful owls, moving through the tunnels picking up trash and detritus; daredevil squadrons of finches and bats circulating to clear away pestering insects; colorful and well-manicured monkeys, holding open doors, or pointing the way. The trained and magebred creatures of House Vadalis, ladies and gentlemen.

At the approaches to the manor itself, you see even more animals dressed in ridiculous finery, but these are jabbering away at each other and gawking at the sights, rather than doing anything useful. The ladies and gentlemen of Sharn, ladies and gentlemen.

There are also more common folk who have dared the nighttime streets to catch a glimpse of the spectacle. (One of the Daask prisoners you rescued had actually been looking for this party, but decided to go home rather than press his luck.) These people won't be let into the party, but many of them will leave with a drumstick of magebred chicken ("Tastes Nothing Like Chicken!") or a tiny cage containing a cricket trained to chirp a popular tune.

You are swept up in the crowd as soon as you get close, but you're able to charm your way through fairly easily. You run into a couple of people before you make it inside.

The first is a half-elf woman with brown hair and a fetching but very non-elven collection of freckles. She's wearing a plain tunic, trousers, and boots. She's clearly not here for the party, but for work: as a reporter for the Sharn Inquisitive. This is Daria Danno, but the entertainment pages aren't her usual beat. She's a crime and politics reporter, which some have argued is really only one subject.

She comes up to you armed with a pad and stylus, which can be implements as dea
Edit: Not sure what happened here. Basically, her gear indicates she's dedicated to her job.
"Mr. Josef, Daria Danno, Sharn Inquisitive. Sir, your name has come up recently in connection with a gruesome murder and now with the disappearance of a heir of House Orien. Have you decided when you're going to turn yourself into the City Watch?"

She then rounds on Tham, performing the tiniest curtsey imaginable. "My lord, I must say that I'm surprised to see you here. The fact that almost all of these guests are arriving by Orien-licensed carriages and on Vadalis-bred steeds only highlights the problem your family is having finding qualified heirs to meet its obligations to the city and the public. But perhaps that explains why you're on foot and looking rather... mussed?" She poises the stylus over the pad, clearly waiting for a statement that she will claim comes from an official Lyrandar source.
How do you respond?

Daria makes skeptical noises at whatever Albers says or does and scribbles furiously on her pad.

She is more diplomatic toward Tham, considering that he's a house lord. She's just as skeptical as with Albers, but she hides it better. Her notes on this encounter are copious.

There is one other person you encounter outside. Anyone can establish who that is, but I thought I'd keep this from getting too much longer.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:48, Fri 12 May 2017.

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 57 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Wed 10 May 2017
at 19:18
In Search of a Good Time
BEfore they'd arrived, Tham laughed and continued his diatribe regarding Betsy, "The houses love Betsy! She keeps throwing parties. Parties that attract people like you and me, get us drunk and ready to rut. She's not throwing these parties because she loves them, she's throwing them to keep her house off her back. Do you know how many Vadalis babies were born in Sharn last month? 8. That's right 8. And 7 of them were conceived at a party Betsy through a little less than a year ago."

He pauses, "That's incentive. And why she's the Ice. Queen."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:19, Wed 10 May 2017.

GM
 GM, 107 posts
Fri 12 May 2017
at 05:11
In Search of a Good Time
The other person is a nondescript individual standing in among the crowd, moving from group to group. It's hard to pin down what this person's role is in the brouhaha. This could be due to subtle shifts that keep taking place in their facial features, posture and girth, so that they appear part of any group of people around them. Their garments are multifunctional as well, and seem to flow easily into new configurations.

This person is a changeling, and the fact that you notice them and that no one else seems to is almost certainly due to them wanting you, and only you, to notice them. They may have been trying to get you to notice them for some time, because by the time you do, they are adopting faces with particularly impatient-looking eyes and mouths.

They conspire to be in your path and to convince the distracted doormen and their doorbeasts to attend to other matters. This leaves the three of you in a relatively sheltered alcove, with no one paying you particular attention.

"We have seconds. I am Mel. I require your aid, and you require mine. My sibling is a servant in this household. Their... let us say, 'her' nature is known and she serves as a... hostess... maid, nanny, and the like. I cannot reach her. I suspect they have an animal bred or trained to detect me as soon as I enter, though I haven't seen it. The same means keep her from leaving.

"Her name is Jil. Find her, tell her 'The tree has fallen, but no one was around to hear it' and carry her response to me. Or, if you can find a way to get her out, all the better.

"As for what I can do for you: I know who killed Anna, and I know where you can find your uncle Nataniel before he leaves Sharn."

The crowd is starting to mill in your direction, and Mel seems to be calculating what to become next to facilitate his exit. You have time for a simple question or response each. (You can establish the answer yourself, or for someone else, if they leave it open.)
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 44 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Fri 12 May 2017
at 22:51
In Search of a Good Time
To Daria Danno: Albers gives a winning grin. ‘You want the story? I’ll give it to you. But you’ll have to have a drink with me. I can get you in there, interested?’ Albers plans to seduce her and get her drunk and tell her as little as possible about anything at all. This approach has generally always worked for him in the past.

To the changling Mel: he nods quickly. ‘Done' he agrees immediately to the desperate plan. 'But where will we find you again after this?’
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 61 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Sat 13 May 2017
at 21:39
In Search of a Good Time
Tham acknowledges Dario Danno but offers her no comment allowing Albers to work his magic instead.

When Mel approaches them, Tham eyes him with some suspicion but then nods his head in agreement with Albers. Why wouldn't they try to help this changeling's sibling/sister escape from House Vadalis'.

"I presume you will make your presence known when we leave this party and we'll let you know how it went." Tham says echoing Alber's question with a supposition of his own.
GM
 GM, 111 posts
Sun 14 May 2017
at 06:29
In Search of a Good Time
In reply to Albers Josef (jacktannery) (msg # 36):

Danno looks at Albers as one might dog with its head caught in a jar: with sympathy for its pathetic plight, combined with exasperation at its foolishness . "I'm sure you're a very nice person of interest in a gruesome murder, but as soon as I'm done here I've got to be..." she seems to think for a split second about how to let Albers down easy and then apparently decides she doesn't care. "... almost anywhere else."

"No comment, m'Lord? Well, my beat takes me all over the city; perhaps when you're pressed into skycoach duty, I can hire you and we can talk more then. Enjoy the party, m'Lord!"

Mel says: "Yes. I found you once, I'll find you again. Good luck." Suddenly, he's elsewho, and shortly after that he's elsewhere, and the door to the mansion beckons, with sounds of laughter and scents of food.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 46 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Sun 14 May 2017
at 13:40
In Search of a Good Time
'Maybe another time, babes' replies Albers with a wink, completely misinterpreting Danno's haste to flee.

He grins as he strides up the step, arms around his buddy Tham, and the duo enter the party like two young men who own the city.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 63 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Sun 14 May 2017
at 14:50
In Search of a Good Time
As soon as Dario was out of ear shot and they were entering the room, Tham leaned over to Albers and said, "Believe me, you're better off without her. You don't want to end up being the object of her scorn for a few minutes of fun."

"Now, we need to see about this Jil and tell her about the tree that fell. Oh and I'll introduce you to the Frosty One."