(IC) In Search of a Good Time.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 53 posts
Fri 21 Apr 2017
at 16:48
In Search of a Good Time
The current party is beginning to pall for Albers and Tham. A fast-talking halfling arrived with some atrocious dish from his homeland that he wanted everyone to try, and then his dinosaur got loose and tried to devour one woman's new hat which featured convincing illusions of frolicking woodland creatures. Normally a fun time, but it somehow comes across as a bore.

Well, there's nothing like a hunt for another party through the artificially lit stairways, ramps and tunnels of the Kenton district of Tavick's Landing to get the blood pumping. The two men find their way to an exit, kissing a few distractedly-offered hands along the way, cross the townhome's meager security wards and find themselves on a walkway that curves around this tower and splits off to cross over to several others.

You have it on reliable authority that it's a nice night, but when you're somewhere in the heart of a middle district one night is much like any other. The hosts of the party you just left, in addition to having cheap security measures, and a shortage of staff for dealing with animals, aren't well-to-do enough to have a townhome with a view of the sky, or a balcony facing the true "outside." They try to make due with interesting parties. But the upshot is that light and dark here is not governed by the position of the sun and the moons, but the placement of magical lightning and architecture. It's not dark, but there are shadows aplenty.

There are not, of course, any other people to be seen or heard. You saw another couple leaving the party, but they took a different exit, which might have put them on the far side of the tower, or dozens of feet above or below you, or both. The surrounding towers cluster like trees in an overgrown forest grove, except much bigger, much sturdier and probably more full of rot. You can't see more than about a hundred feet in any direction, before the view curves away between two structures. Above and below other bridges, platforms and tower outcroppings overlap to obscure the view.

You hear water dripping somewhere; a constant sound in Sharn where rain can take days to fall from the roofs to the bases. Thankfully, there are apparently no downspouts anywhere overhead. Your hosts probably have to shell out extra rent for that to be the case. Tham can make out the hum and woosh of a skycoach echoing in from somewhere, but it's not visible and the sound soon fades.

Which leaves the smell. Not too bad. There is a breeze, as there usually is to some degree no matter where in Sharn one might be - above ground, anyway. There's the ubiquitous scent of stone, the hard-to-place-and-somehow-not-entirely-olfactory "scent" of the various permanent forms of artificial light, and undertones of life and magic. The air is warmish.

You set off. From what you've heard, there are some serious opportunities at this next party to advance the cause of House Lyrandar. Now to find it....
GM
 GM, 58 posts
Mon 24 Apr 2017
at 05:23
In Search of a Good Time
Construction sites in Sharn aren't the necessarily the most complex in Eberron, or even in Khorvaire, and certainly not in history, but they are probably unique, at least on this plane. Its manifest zone, its link with the Azure Sky of Syrania, somehow allows structures in Sharn to stand that have no right to - those that aren't completely airborne anyway.

They're also uniquely dangerous. At their most enlightened, the leaders of Sharn have never considered instituting safety regulations, and at their most empowered the workers have never considered asking. It's the the thing that kills you can come from any direction: hundreds of feet above, falling on you from further than any call of warning might travel; from far below, propelled by a misdirected magical effect, or maybe an exploding crate of alchemical reagents; from the sides, gusted on the winds, or riding them. Of all the jobs lost to decommissioned and newly liberated warforged, the least complaint has been heard over construction.

The Daask site is a side tower being added to an existing tower, planned to be cantilevered preposterously far out. At this point, only the initial section exists, a platform on the opposite side of a large, rather rough hole in the side of the original tower.

The platform is wide and mostly covered with stone, wood, sections of scaffolding, and crates and containers. Permanent lights lie around. There are voices in a clearing near the center, but you can't make out the speakers. One is vocal and sounds high-pitched and growly. A handful of other voices come across as frightened and wheedling.

The floor is mostly complete, but there are gaps, including some that a humanoid could fallw through with room to spare. You can see through to open air below, and also into a storage cellar.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 17 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 24 Apr 2017
at 07:04
In Search of a Good Time
‘Come this way’, Albers prods Tham. ‘I’ll show you what I mean about the brassiere’.

As they approach the construction site, Albers is in full flow describing the wonderful breasts of the young actress at the party, and how they could be optimally supported and presented on the basis of the cantilevered tower under construction before them. The two men take a moment to admire the building site.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 27 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 02:09
In Search of a Good Time
Tham follows along and does his best to understand the architectural implications, helped along greatly when compared to the underpinnings of a woman's foundational garments, something he can quickly recall and helps him understand structural integrity to a much greater extent.

"I've never understood nor appreciated architecture quite the way I do now. Thanks Albers."

Side towers struck Tham as odd. Then again he was a traditionalist and this side tower distorted the skyscape of old. No longer would it be possible to enter Sharn with quite the same view. He guessed that was the case often, but something about this particular tower truly bothered him.

"So, off we go or do we need to dig about around here a bit more?"
GM
 GM, 62 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 21:14
In Search of a Good Time
There's a clatter and a rumble, as of something rolling over the uncompleted flooring of the tower. You can see a cart moving from the center toward the opening in the main tower - toward you that is. The cart is an enclosed affair, like a Kundarak vaultwagon, and almost as sturdily built, but small enough to be moved by hand, if not full of anything too heavy. From inside come muffled cries and knockings. As you watch, you see a hairy form clambering to the top of the cart. It's a gnoll and it's holding a bow and has a small axe at its belt.

The cart hoves into view. It's pulled by two hobgoblins who look like they might be out-of-work mercenaries from the War. The cart at the edge of the curve of light cast by the sources in the main tower, which means it's about thirty feet away.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:31, Wed 26 Apr 2017.

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 28 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 01:34
In Search of a Good Time
Tham takes in the cart suspiciously. He'd prefer never to see hobgoblins and were they anywhere outside of the city walls, he'd likely cast first and ask questions later, but for now he would hold his spells until he knew that they were in for a real fight.

He nudged Albers and gestured to the wagon, giving his friend a quizzical look.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 20 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 20:17
In Search of a Good Time
Albers grabs his friend and pushes them both against a darkened wall, hopefully out of sight, but still affording them both a good view to the wagon. 'Bad news', says Albert. 'These are Daask bozos. You know the story with me and Daask - I don't want to tangle with them'.

He prepares to leave with Tham, but then a particularly loud and feminine muffled cry from the wagon changes his mind. 'We should save her, really. If she's a hottie she might come to the party?'

He winks at his friend, then points soundlessly to the crane-and-chain almost directly overhead. 'There are two chains. We get up on the scaffloding, leap onto one chain each, and let the momentom carry us to the wagon, at which point we crash into the gnoll and knock it out instantly, save the chick, and basically be superheroes. You in?'

Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 29 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 21:38
In Search of a Good Time
Tham laughed at the logic of Albers, "Hold on my eager friend. What if I set a fire right in the Gnoll's lap with one of my spells and then we drop in to push the hobgoblins into the flames? Voila three birds, one flame." There was a bit of a flourish as Tham had made a slight hand motion with his favorite dagger.
GM
 GM, 72 posts
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 03:15
In Search of a Good Time
At the cry from within, the gnoll raps the end of his bow on the cart. "Whas you say? I don' speak monkey! You say 'Eat my eyes first'? I tink so!" A mad little giggle bubbles out of him.
Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 22 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 20:30
In Search of a Good Time
‘That’s a brilliant idea Tham! Wait til we are just about to swing, then ignite.’

Setting the example, Albers leaps onto the chain, which is far harder to climb than he had originally envisaged. ‘Watch out of the pinching Tham’, he grimaces, showing Tham a painfully squished hand, but Albers carried on regardless, trying to reach a good position to swing., but at this rate he’s not going to make it.

‘Might have had a bit too much to drink at the last party and got overambitious with the plan,’, he eventually admits. ‘Want to try your fire idea instead?’ Albers hopes his drunken clamberings haven't warned the gnoll.

21:27, Today: Albers Josef (jacktannery) rolled 9,23 using d20+3,d20+10.  Athletics; endurance.
GM
 GM, 74 posts
Sun 30 Apr 2017
at 00:26
In Search of a Good Time
Albers makes is way up the chains and just when it seems like his arms aren't going to obey him anymore, he finds he's at the top of the scaffolding. He uses his legs and tail to get on top of it, giving his abused hands a momentary respite.

Tham follows the tiefling. Perhaps it's his own lack of a tail for balance, but has some trouble placing his feet and at one point gives the chain a decent boot. It looks like it's going to make a gods-awful noise, but he's able to quell its swinging with a few well-timed swings from higher up. Just like a Lyrandar to have a good sense of how to balance action with reaction.

Tham hardly notices the painfulness of pulling himself up the chain - Lyrandar lords are hard workers and he's got callouses and ropeburn scars to protect him. But he should have spent more time in the rigging of the airships he's been on, because he finds pulling himself up to be almost beyond him. He's barely able to join Albers on the platform before the gnoll looks toward a noise he thought he heard.

The huntmaster begins to utter a Abyssal curseword - or it might be a poetic expression of astonishment, it all sounds equally bad in Abyssal - as the two supra-hero figures swing across space and land with a thud (a heroic thud) on the roof of the cart.

The cart is effectively 10x10. You're next to each other and both adjacent to (and not flanking) the gnoll. Please roll initiative.

Light: Bright. Cover: light and heavy easily available on ground.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg): Initiative 25. 1 and 2 pulling cart.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3, 50/50): Initiative 15. On top of cart. Adjacent to Tham and Albers.
Albers (19/16/13/17, 49/49): On top of cart, adjacent to Tham and gnoll.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart, adjacent to Albers and gnoll.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:32, Sun 30 Apr 2017.

Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 23 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Sun 30 Apr 2017
at 07:40
In Search of a Good Time
Albers gets up as quickly as he can from a crumpled heap adjacent to the gnoll. He puts his hat on backwards, draws his sabre but it gets caught in his cape, and tries not to look comical.

'Release your female captive or die, foul kidnapper monsters. Your reign of terror will end tonight unless you lay down your weapons immediately!' he cries dramatically, for the sole purpose of impressing the soon-to-be rescued captive, who he hopes hasn't watched the rescue attempt so far.

'Why exactly did we think that was going to be a good idea Tham?' he whispers to his bruised buddy, sobering up quickly.

08:34, Today: Albers Josef (jacktannery) rolled 10 using 1d20+6.  Albers, initiative.
GM
 GM, 79 posts
Mon 1 May 2017
at 14:22
In Search of a Good Time
The hobgoblins, being consummate soldiers (as who wouldn't who was raised from birth to bear the trappings and demeanor of the warrior, to someday serve and die at the whim of a commander) react quickly to the impromptu heroics. One begins barking out commands in Goblin, but the intended recipients don't seem to be on the scene yet. As he does this, he and the other wagon puller maneuver it near a pile of cut stone. The one giving orders stays on the ground, ready for one of the men to fall, and the other clambers up the stone pile to get in position to attack.

The gnoll bares its teeth in either a challenge or an insane grin. "Ah, more monkey-boys!" he cackles. Snatching an axe from his belt, he takes a swing at Tham, but misses as the cart lurches. This does not seem to diminish the gangster's enthusiasm.

From the storage area under the floorboards, you can hear movement and clinking of metal armor and weapons, and hobgoblin voices.

Hobgoblin 1:
Move: Move cart.
Minor: Draw longsword.
Standard: Readied action to charge Tham or Albers if they return to the ground.

Hobgoblin 2:
Move: Move cart.
Minor: Draw longsword.
Standard: Move: Climb adjacent stone pile to get near melee.

Gnoll:
Minor: Draw axe (bow held in off-hand).
Standard: 07:20, Today: GM, for the NPC Gnoll, rolled 11,7 using 1d20+9,1d6+3.  Handaxe vs. AC of Tham. Miss, no damage.

Light: Bright. Cover: light and heavy easily available on ground.
Hobgoblins (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg): 1) on ground, readied action to charge. 2) on stonepile at level with top of cart, near those on top of cart.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3, 50/50): On top of cart. Adjacent to Tham and Albers.
Albers (19/16/13/17, 49/49): On top of cart, adjacent to Tham and gnoll.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart, adjacent to Albers and gnoll.
Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh)
 player, 37 posts
 Half-elf
 Dragonmarked sorcerer.
Mon 1 May 2017
at 19:41
In Search of a Good Time
Tham doesn't like the position he's in so he backs away from the gnoll and unleashes the storm within striking the Gnoll squarely in the chest with a bolt of lightning. The electrical energy pushes the gnoll further away and carries on into one of his hobgoblin minions.

OOC:
Move: Step back 5 feet
Standard: Lightning Strike
Lightning jolts out and hits the first hobgoblin as well.
15:32, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 8 using 1d20+5.  Initiative.
15:30, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 12 using 1d8+7.  Damage.
15:29, Today: Tham d'Lyrandar (jkeogh) rolled 25 using 1d20+10.  Attack vs Ref (Lightning).


Light: Bright. Cover: light and heavy easily available on ground.
Hobgoblin 1 (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 2 dmg): 1) on ground, readied action to charge. 2) on stonepile at level with top of cart, near those on top of cart.
Hobgoblin 2 (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg): 1) on ground, readied action to charge. 2) on stonepile at level with top of cart, near those on top of cart.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3, 38/50): Pushed off cart
Albers (19/16/13/17, 49/49): On top of cart, adjacent to Tham.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart, adjacent to Albers.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:19, Mon 01 May 2017.

Albers Josef (jacktannery)
 player, 25 posts
 Tiefling
 Paladin, revolutionary.
Mon 1 May 2017
at 20:41
In Search of a Good Time
Albers brandishes his sabre and waves it dramatically (but not very dangerously) at the closest hobgoblin. ‘Release your captive and we won’t kill you’, he announces in a showman’s voice, starting to regret this ill-advised rescue attempt.

In the back of his mind he knows he should hide his identity. But drink is upon him. ‘I am Albers -  Urban Archaeologist and Architectural Detective. I will never work for you Daask heavies; and your bloodthirsty criminal organisation will never gain respectability in Sharn. Everyone will hear about this latest kidnapping.’

He just can’t help himself.

Enfeebling Strike vs Hobgoblin 1 miss AC.
Call of Challenge: all enemies in close burst 3 (gnoll and two hobos?) marked eont with divine sanction (7 rad dmg if broken). Possible to target hobgoblins underneath too?

quote:
Hobgoblin 1 (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 2 dmg): 1) on ground, readied action to chargeHobgoblin 2 (18(20)/16/14/13, +7 vs. AC, 5 dmg): 2) on stonepile at level with top of cart, near those on top of cart.
Gnoll (19/16/17/14, +9 vs. AC, 1d6+3, 50/50): Pushed off cart
Albers (19/16/13/17, 49/49): On top of cart, adjacent to Tham.
Tham (13/12/13/15, 41/41): On top of cart, adjacent to Albers.